User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Birth Control 1710 reviews 275 medications

Summary of Nexplanon reviews 1710 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Nexplanon

For Birth Control "I had this put in back in December. Since then, I had a three month long period, a week break, three weeks on and a week off back and forth and I'm at my breaking point. My anxiety is worse than ever and my depression I thought I had been cured of is slowly getting worse and worse. I've gained 30+ pounds and I'm miserable. I can't have sex and it's heavily effecting my marriage, not to mention the constant mood swings and the general emotional apocalypse that is Nexplanon. But hey, we're not pregnant."

Whale of a Woman (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 24, 2016

For Birth Control "I've only had this nexplanon implant for a week now, but so far my fave has started clearing up. I used to have really irregular periods and rarely got them but like once every 2 months. I actually lost weight in the week I've had it. I have had some intense mood swings. but so far it's worth it."

jfeld8879 May 23, 2016

For Birth Control "I've never been on birth control and I have migraines with aura, so I was a bit limited to Mirena or Nexplanon since I wasn't about the pill life. Tried to get Mirena but after 2 failed attempts because my cervix is apparently a steel clamp, I went with the Nexplanon. I love it! The insertion was easy breezy, and my side effects are really limited to a little bit of acne, but it should be noted that I had a pretty good period of acne as an adolescent and took Accutane for it. I have changed up my facial routine and this has helped. I have not gained any weight and haven't noticed any change to my appetite, but I'm a pretty regimented person when it comes to my eating and exercise. Best part for me, no migraines, only manageable headaches!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2016

For Birth Control "Well, the good thing is... I am not pregnant. Most of the side effects I was warned about were so uncommon, I was told not to worry. However, I think when that little green guy was implanted into my arm, it was also a one way ticket to the world's largest Emotionally Unstable Rollercoaster. *spoilet alert: it's not fun to ride. Before Nexplanon, I pretty much coasted the happy wave. Life is good and God is better. No dark clouds for miles, and my sunshine was so bright, it disintegrated anyone else's dark and twistyness. But I stuck artificial hormones in my arm, and now sunny days are far and few in between. ESPECIALLY when I am on my period (which is about as predictable as my mood). In short... you probs won't get pregnant. And. Yeah..."

Queen of Moodyland (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2016

For Birth Control "Got this BC in July, since then I've non stop bleeding, literally, NON STOP, zero sex drive, I've gained 35 pounds and NOTHING takes it off, I haven't weighed this much since I was pregnant! Hell I even look pregnant! Even feel like it- always so tired! And moody!!!! I do not recommend this!!! It's nice not to worry about getting pregnant, but I'd rather worry about the pill or nuva ring than be this depressed and this overweight!!!"

Kmmh (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I had this inserted in March of 2016. So I've only had this for about 3 months now. I've only had my period once which is great! I get menstrual craps every now and again but no bleeding. Ive tried several pills which only made me gain weight, become depressed, gain weight and become very irritable for NO reason I am very happy with this BC and would recommend it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2016

For Birth Control "During my periods I had intense cramps and heavy bleeding.That's why I chose the convenience of this birth control.I got my inplant put in July 31st 2015. Midway in August I experienced intense pain while laying down, as if I literally was stabbed. As soon as I got up I had major shedding of my walls.September 8th I started my period, ever since than I have been bleeding. During April I went to my gyno and she ran a test stating it could be an infection. Results came back that's not the issue. I have gained almost 30lbs during this time. I'm extremely irritable and get upset over the smallest things. I'm no longer am able to self lubricat, which makes intercourse painful. Overall for me it isnt worth it."

Cedez May 22, 2016

For Birth Control "23 year old here, had the nexplanon 3 years before just having it removed. I absolutely loved it, I don't have a thing bad to say about it"

Erinleeann (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2016

For Birth Control "Been on depo shot for 5yrs,decided it was time to switch being that I would be moving out of state for a year and didn want to change insurance nor Dr while I was gone. Although I read negative things about the nexplanon I got it bc "different strokes for different fowks" and bc the Dr said its the same medication as depo.have had it now for 11 days and my arm is still sore.first night was so painful I called the office at 3am lol I was told I must have a low tolerance for pain an to rest it & take pain meds. I must admit getting it wasn't really bad at all and although some days are worse than others (depending on my activities and use of my arm) there is no pain until I use it ALOT....than I pay for it at night.so far so good overall"

Bmorlena (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I was previously on Implanon before deciding to start a family and absolutely loved it!! After having my little girl I went for my 6 week check up and was told that Nexplanon was the new version of the Implanon and that Implanon was no longer available. I decided to go ahead with the Nexplanon and I absolutely hate it!! On Implanon I had very light 3 day periods. On Nexplanon I have been spotting for nearly the entire past month and I'm always tired and have been having depression issues. I've also gained some weight with it. I have an appointment with my doctor in a week to get it removed to go on something else."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on this birth control for 4 months now. Once Inserted, I stopped bleeding for 2 weeks and ever since then I've bled and spotted nonstop. I started breaking out a lot along my cheeks and chin which does mean it's hormonal and also on my back which is something I've never experienced before. I also swear my hair is getting thinner, everyone says otherwise but I believe I know my body the best. I have an appointment in 2 weeks to get it removed. I'd deal with the spotting and some acne if I didn't have to deal with thinning hair. Please remember what doesn't work for me MAY work for you."

mgmgmmg May 20, 2016

For Birth Control "Works great. I was really iffy about it at first reading the reviews but it's going on to the 4th month n my period had stopped. I use to have depression n other problems but after I got the nexplanon it seemed to help n clear it away.. I'm losing weight also which is a plus. That was one of my fears of starting this birth control but it all worked out for me.. Only thing I dislike about this is the acne. I had it extremely bad for the first could days but went away.. Ppl body's react differently to different Medications."

Stif May 20, 2016

For Birth Control "Soooo, before nexplanon I had the implanon in for the full 3 years and LOVED it! :) absolutely no issues, never gained weight(ps I also rarely work out and my diet is not the best) and my periods have always been super light and on time every month, after my 3 years were up it was time to have it removed. So I chose to get the nexplanon inserted. The procedure was fast and not very painful, just some bruising. At first I did not get a period for 3 months and I did have some cramping and mood swings, but after 3 months my body adjusted to the new birth control, and I started getting a normal short period each month. :) Also, my weight has pretty much stayed the same. And I plan on keeping until my 3 year mark is up! :)"

mind over matter (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 19, 2016

For Birth Control "I have never felt so awful in my whole life as I have the last 3 weeks since having this inserted into my arm. I cannot get it out soon enough. My mood has been all over the map and the anxiety and depression is more than I can take. I have gained weight in just 3 weeks and honestly feel horrible. I would never recommend this to anyone...it is not worth it."

Anonymous May 18, 2016

For Birth Control "Great!!! Big bruise at implant site but I bruise easily anyway. Had it inserted a week after my period. Next period was normal but a week late. Next period was 2 weeks later. No big deal. Weight gain has not been a problem yet, all other birth controls I blew up. I have odd hungers from time to time, snacking excessively but nothing not controllable. I suffer from depression which has not gotten worse. In fact sometimes it's much better. I love it so far, recommend it to everyone. 37 years old, no children. Insurance paid for everything. I only paid office visit copay."

NoNamesAvailable (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016

For Birth Control "So, i finally got this thing out today and i wanted to share my experience somewhere. (I am 19) Over a year and a half ago i had nexplanon inserted in to my arm. I have never had sex, so it's primary focus was to help me with just overall period regulation. The month after i got this in, my period stopped and still has not came back. I was so upset to give that luxury up with the removal of it. So here is one pro: no period at all for me! Unfortunately, the con list is much longer.. I actually do not know why i kept this in so long, bc the way it made me feel was not worth it. I feel a very heavy gloom over me, my nerves, emotions and anxiety were all going crazy. I gained almost 70 lbs and i have never been unhappier. Not for me..."

a2015 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 18, 2016

For Birth Control "When Nexplanon was first inserted in my arm, it was very painful and my arm was black and blue for a week. I didn't have a period for the first 8 months of it. My moods were normal and sex drive. The beginning of 2016. I started to spot for weeks, my moods were changing a lot, my migraines were harsh, had no sex drive at all. My arms and legs were starting to feel numb for no reason. At this point had it in for a year. All and all it was just a very bad experience for me! My Gyn took it out and was "stuck" in my arm and took 10 minutes to get it out. Never going to get an implant again..."

S.M. (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I had tried to implanon before they changed it to Nexplanon, but that was a terriable experience because like the reviews said blead ALOT and always had pregnancy symptoms before bleeding 3 weeks out of the month.. I went to the doc and got an estrogen pill and that helped!! Then when the 3 years were up I got the new one nexplanon and I haven't really had that many issues I accurately love it!!!! I recommend it!"

Themisskayla (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 18, 2016

For Birth Control "Probably worst experience of my life. I did like the convenience of the implant being in my arm and not having to remember to take a pill or have something up my vagina. However, nexplanon was NOT for me. I went through terrible mood swings (from being happy one moment to coming close to crying for no reason a few minutes later). My period was pretty much non-existent, which was something I was looking for in a birth control. But, I gained so much weight (accumulating nearly 30 lbs). No matter what I did to lose weight- which I did through working out at least an hour six days a week and cutting my caloric intake to less 1,200 a day- it still did not work. I am getting it removed tomorrow so I'm hoping I will be back to myself soon!"

LeopardLexi May 17, 2016

For Birth Control "Had Implanon for 3 years with very heavy, long periods, switched to Nexplanon immediately afterewards (no break between b.c.) pros: did not get pregnant, didn't have to remember to take anything. No periods for 3 years. Cons: maybe depression, definitely caused nipple discharge (aka lactating), mood swings, hormone imbalance year 2 of implant (no sex in 6 months leading up to symptom change). 5 months after removal, still have nipped discharge and no periods, but depression/mood swings significantly lessened. Dr informed me could be up to 6 months to get back to "normal""

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 17, 2016

For Birth Control "WOW! All the bad reviews I cant believe it! Im a 23 years old, I love this birth control so much! I have had all positive about this product (except the longer periods in the beginning but its like that with them all). For the women that hate this product try mirena It works for a lot of ladies!"

lillyowens May 16, 2016

For Birth Control "After I had my son I knew I didn't want to have anymore children for a while but I wasn't willing to do anything permanent. I thought this was perfect for me. I was so wrong. I got the implant six weeks after having my son. At that time I had lost all of the baby weight and then some. I was 130lbs then. Now nine months later I am 177. I exercise everyday and I limit my calories. I've never had an issue losing weight. it has always been very easy to lose and keep off extra pounds. Now I can't lose weight no matter how hard I try. My self esteem is at an all time low. I don't even go out in public unless I absolutely have to. It is very effective as birth control but it's not worth the side effects"

Rosaleee May 16, 2016

For Birth Control "The side effects got worse the longer I was on Nexplanon. At first, the side effects were minimal, but by the third month I was getting periods that lasted 10 days and was spotting the rest of the month. It made me extremely emotional and depressed, which became noticeably worse during my periods. Also, I had never had any acne during my adolescence years, but ever since I got on nexplanon, my entire face is covered in pimples. Like said before, the acne wasn't as bad in the first few months, but got increasingly worse."

wjakwja (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been telling myself that my symptoms arent from my implant but after reading how many other people have the same problems I completely agree that it is my implant causing them. I have been on my implant for 9 months now and I have had the worst bleeding ever. At first it was light spotting and now it's just gotten worse and worse to where I am ALWAYS bleeding. Also, I have had the worst anxiety and I have never had anxiety in my life. I struggle with mood swings and I get so worked up sometimes and can't control my anger. I completely understand these things don't happen to everyone but this has been the worst for me and I plan on getting it out very soon. I think it is also the cause of my dizziness, lightheadedness, and nausea."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 15, 2016

For Birth Control "At first I was so excited, I though I was going to be free for 3 years, man was I wrong! I got it inserted about 3 months ago and this has been some of the worst times in my life. I've had extreme depression, anxiety, paranoia, I no longer trust my boyfriend, I've been having suicidal thoughts, some days I can't get out of bed, I feel insane, I'm not myself, l became very antisocial. Unfortunately I have to wait till June 6th to get it out and I don't know what I'm going to do in that time..."

Kelsey H May 15, 2016