User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Birth Control 729 reviews 254 medications

6.9
Summary of Nexplanon reviews 729 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Nexplanon

For Birth Control "I got mine in February the first 3 months were just like my regular period I bleed for 7 instead of 5, now it's July 30,2015 and I've been bleeding since June 24,2015im miserable I can't go to the pool or the beach, or enjoy simple thing with out having to worry about staining my clothes or wearing a pad, it's very frustrating I'm going to talk to my doctor about taking it out"

EvilMindy July 31, 2015

For Birth Control "The doctor put mine in on Jan 17th 2015. I have had nothing but periods every two weeks. I've gained weight like crazy. My mood swings are horrible. I'm always down and out. I have not changed my eating habits. I'm calling my doctor today to get it removed. I'm going to get my insides burned out because I have my three kids and I don't want anymore babies."

Jazmin hummel July 31, 2015

For Birth Control "I like it.. ok, for the first 4 months my bleeding was non stop and horrible headaches but I went to my doctor and she wrote me a prescription and told me to take the birth control pill also for 1 month straight to control the bleeding and it worked.. I haven't really had a period since then.. and in Nov it will be 1 year with me having it in.. no weight gain and if so it's me because I love to eat.. lol.. but no other side effects for me!!! If everything stays this way I will probably get it in again after my 3 years is up.."

Lee H. July 31, 2015

For Birth Control "I had this birth control for a year back when it was "Implabon" and I loved it. No period or cramps or weight gain. Then I got it again a few years later and I've had a period since February, (its now august), and I'm now going through a pad every two hours, passing 15-20 blood clots a day. My doctor keeps asking me to wait and see if it regulates but I can't hold out much longer."

anon41298 July 31, 2015

For Birth Control "After two years of Depo-Provera shots, I decided to go a little more long term with my BC. On the shot my periods had all but disappeared; I'd get very minimal spotting for a single day out of two months. Since Nexplanon uses the same type of hormone, I incorrectly assumed that my cycle would stay the same. About four months after the insertion, I'm getting a full duration period every two weeks, like clockwork, and my PMS symptoms (irritability, lack of appetite, cramping and diarrhea) are back with a vengeance each time. My doctor wants me to hold out another few months to see if I stabilize. We'll see, I guess. On the positive side, it's effective at preventing pregnancy."

Not again! (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2015

For Birth Control "Well this was my first experience with any birth control and I am not a fan. I feel bloated, stomach feels weird, back cramps, cystic acne. And the worst part would be the mood swings. I can get so angry and frustrated and little things . I get depressed but not in a kind of sad way but in a hopeless will anything ever change, life is messed up. It's really hard. I didn't gain weight but lost 15 pounds and I only weighed 125 before hand. I have had it for about three months, getting it removed Monday. My arm is still sore from the implant but that's not a huge deal to me. Wouldn't really recommend it."

Wyoming girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2015

For Birth Control "First two months on this implant were great! No pain with insertion, normal periods (maybe one day longer total), slight breast tenderness, no noticeable change in sex drive/weight/attitude. But that's were my good review ends, sadly. 4 days after my second period I started bleeding heavily. This has lasted for 3+ weeks, and I got it removed yesterday bc I cannot deal with it anymore. Since the bleeding started I broke out, have been increasingly up then down, on the verge of tears most days, and barely feeling sexual (probably due to the fact I'm bleeding). NP at planned parenthood has said lots of women have gotten this removed because of bleeding that lasts for weeks, and that it may take me a few MORE weeks to stop."

21y.o with history of bleeding (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2015

For Birth Control "I LOVE it!!! Yes had a period that lasted 4 months but was very light so can't complain about that. Then after 4 months didn't have a period since. I've has this for 2 years now. Never gained weight either! I do notice I get moody a little easier and once in awhile my breast are sore. I love the fact I don't have to remember to take a pill everyday! Getting it put in was easy and I'm sure getting it out is easy as well."

Lakanyavong (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 28, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the arm insert because I have had bad experiences with estrogen based pills on the past and since it uses a different hormone and has little chance of adverse reactions I felt good about the decision. However I seemed to be part of the 3rd of the population that had side effects. I had a little over 3 months and it was miserable!! 5 pounds in the first week and over 15 since, not to mention the awful mood swings, I have never had a history of depression but while on it I would randomly feel miserable, like the hopeless kind of depression, I broke out and just generally wanted to crawl out of my skin, I had it removed yesterday, felt the same as going in and I'm hopeful my body will return to normal with time."

Maddy505 July 28, 2015

For Birth Control "I hate it so much! I've had it for a year now I was really into track and I'm a VEGAN. I take care of my body. I've been at a healthy weight most of my life but after getting this bar I've gained 45lb and the only thing that has changed in my routine is this birth control. I'm getting it removed ASAP. My doctor kept telling me let my body adjust to it after 9 months I waited 12! My doctor keeps trying to blame me for the weight gain but I eat between 900-1200cal a day and it's mostly vegetables or tofu!"

Marcelia (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 28, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had the implant for 3 months and I hate it. The first month I bleed for 10 days heavy like a period, and then started the next period 20 days later. Everytime me and my baby's father had sex I'd bleed for two to three days and if I got upset I'd bleed. The next month I had a period 15 days apart, and when we had sex or if I got upset the same thing. This month the same. I find myself having to wear a pad or liner most days. The hate it and plan on having it removed asap. My sister who has the it also has the same problem. I feel like I'm bleeding constantly and she has the same complaint, we are both getting it removed."

Ang1 July 28, 2015

For Birth Control "I love it! I'm too forgetful for the pill. I actually all together stopped getting my period. I had a regular period prior to getting it, but due to my daily medication, the side effect was no period. I do still get the mild cramps, aches and pains....but I really can't Complain. Downside....I've gained 35 pounds. I've had it for 3 years in Dec. Other than that it is wonderful!!!!!!!"

Mirriah77777 July 27, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had Nexplanon in for almost three years, and will be getting it taken out in Nov. I decided to get this after my son was born. I have never used any type of birth control (except for a condom). It has been a wonder! I have not had a period while on this. Which is awesome for me since I had very bad cramps during that time. The only downside to Nexplanon for me is the fact that I would get headaches lasting for two days. Other than that I would get it put in again."

Mrs. LeeLee (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2015

For Birth Control "I DO NOT RECOMMEND! I am going in today (7/27) just over three months later (MID APRIL INSERT) TO HAVE IT REMOVED. I have sebhoratic dermatitis (implant did not cause it, I had it before) but the implant made it so much worse. Normally, it is not so bad in the summer (worse in the winter) but this has made it unbearable and worse than ever (whole scalp, not patches, HAIR FALLING OUT). Additionally, my acne got worse and did not improve. I got several very deep cystic pimples on my back (Never, ever had pimples on my back). Chin acne out of control. Weight did not fluctuate or change (I eat healthy and workout 4 days/week). I am going on Ortho Tri Cylclen for my acne now..if you suffer from acne, go on OTC... it suppresses testosterone"

Sending you Love and Luck July 27, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the nexplanon implanted a few months after I had my baby (2 years ago)..I loved it at first. I had zero side effects. My periods were normal. And I didn't have to remember to take it every day. I do not recommend this but I did have sex without a condom or the POM with my fiance all the time and never got pregnant. But now, two years into it and I'm starting to break out like crazy. And my periods last 2 months with only a day break in the middle. It's getting out of hand. So I think Im going to stick it out for the last year and then get on the pill. Unless it gets much worse before the last year is up"

Kay0000000009 July 27, 2015

For Birth Control "I hate this so much. Although I had no pms symptoms, light spotting instead of a period, and never got pregnant once. This is still the WORST birth control I've ever been on. I used to have long, soft, smooth hair and because of this shit my hair is a grease pit. Even if i just got out of the shower it looks like I haven't showered in years. It's absolutely disgusting!!! I've been off of this for 7 almost 8 months and my hair is still profusely greasy, I can't stand it. I'll never go back to this birth control."

lisantonia (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 27, 2015

For Birth Control "Can not stand this b.c. I've had for over a year now, and at first I had no bleeding, no weight gain, now I'm gaining weight like crazy, and have been on period for around 2 months, and unlike most people it's a full blown period, with cramps! It seems that everytime I actually can have sex, we do it once and the bleeding starts again. Can't wait to get it taken out!"

anoncomment5 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 26, 2015

For Birth Control "So I got nexplanon put in on March 3nd 2015. I didn't have any side effects until I started bleeding on March 21st. I have bled heavy for 6 months straight since March 21st and it doesn't seem like its stopping any time soon. I have felt sad and I get mad at everything. I'm most definitely getting it out soon. It's definitely not worth it."

KT00716 July 26, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had the implant for a little over a year and a half. I absolutely loved it, until recently. I LOVE not having a period, I rarely had occasional bleeding. However, I now have a boyfriend, and after each time I have sex I get my period. I have had three periods this month. I am debating getting it removed and going back to the pill, sadly. I am curious if anyone else has had this happen."

guitrgrl (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 25, 2015

For Birth Control "I finally got Nexplanon removed yesterday and was so happy. I thought this was going to regulate my periods but I only had 1 out of the 6 months. I had discomfort in the arm that it was in whenever I lifted something heavy and when I checked my blood pressure. I found out from my primary Dr that I was 20% more likely to not have a period, have higher cholesterol and gain weight while on Nexplanon. My blood pressure is higher now and now I'm going to start on the pill again. I'm just so happy it's out!"

Happytucson July 25, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had terrible acne come up on my back, as well as weight gain. Probably close to 30 pounds since getting this in December of 2014. No period since, and I am always hungry. I originally got it for period pains and I have had no cramping since."

al2015 July 25, 2015

For Birth Control "I got my nexplanon put in November 21,2013. I absolutly hate it. when I first got it I didn't bleed for about a week, then it started. I have a period everyday since I've had maybe once a month it will stop. I was 105 lbs when I got it and now I am almost 200. I hate having to buy pads and tampons every week because of bleeding so much. I'm really hoping that I can find something else that won't make me bleed everyday. I took the pills and it made me moody really bad. It might work on some people but to others it makes them feel terrible."

unknown person July 25, 2015

For Birth Control "I got my nexplanon implant on 12/31/14. Today is 7/24/15. My first to "periods" we're super short and super light. Then on the 3rd period I got (what I like to call) "self destructive uterus and razor blade nipple" syndrome. The worst cramps of my life. It hurt and bled like someone was performing major surgery with a spoon inside of my uterus. I bled THROUGH 3 super plus tampons each day for 3 days, the period continued for a total of 9 days, took 2 days off and then I had a week long spotty-period. Just to have 1 week off, then start the process all over again. I'm currently going through my 4th "cycle" of this nonsense. Also, I'm extremely active (have trained for and completed 2 half marathons in the past 8 months) and gained 30 lbs."

Linds31 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 24, 2015

For Birth Control "I had the implant in for 7 months and took it out because of the side effects, I might as well have been pregnant with the way it made me feel. I was so hormonal and had constant headaches and I gained 27 lbs WITHOUT a diet change, I tried exercising more than normal and I continued to gain weight. I do not recommend it. I could feel a burning sensation all the way down my arm and up into my chest. There was just so much stuff happening that no one warned me about!"

kzfe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 24, 2015

For Birth Control "I am 24 with no children. On November 21, 2014 I had my Paragard removed and Nexplanon inserted the same day. The insertion wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, and healed pretty quickly, about 1 week. I missed my first period and then they went back to normal, gradually getting shorter and lighter. My last period was 3 weeks long and now I am 1 week and 1 day late for my next. My symptoms didn't show up until recently: violent mood swings, headaches, nausea, dizziness, backache, acne on face & body. I have gained 10lbs. even though my diet and exercise haven't changed at all. I like it ok enough, but there is a good chance I'll have it removed before 3 years."

Elizabeth M. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 24, 2015