User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Birth Control 1648 reviews 275 medications

6.1
Summary of Nexplanon reviews 1648 reviews 6.1

Reviews for Nexplanon

For Birth Control "ATTENTION DO NOT GET THIS!! IT IS HELL AND BACK!! If I could rate this a 0, I would. I got Nexplanon inserted December 3rd 2015. Today's date is May 3rd and I HAVE NOT stopped bleeding since the day it was inserted!!!!! When I tell you I'm not over exaggerating, I AM NOT! I feel like the Nexplanon inventor's theory was "If we just make women bleed all the time, they won't have sex right?" Boom, a new birth control method was invented. When first getting this put in I thought "Wow this will be awesome I will never have to take the pill again!" After 5 months of constant bleeding & a completely wrecked vagina from the hundreds of tampons I've inserted, I regret it completely. Just take the pill and use condoms, it's simply not worth it.."

The pissed off patient (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2016

For Birth Control "Had my Nexplanon inserted on March 24th, 2015 after my friends giving me great reviews. Starting May 2015 I bled for 6 months straight. The bleeding ended up leading to Vaginitis which put me in the ER for the first time in my life! Doctor said to give it six months to see if it would stop, it did and I haven't had a real period since August 2015. During this time I noticed weight gain, which I thought was my new relationship. I started to eat healthy in January 2016 and since then I have put on another 20 pounds, which in total puts me at 40 pounds! No amount of diet or exercise will take it off! Not even a stomach virus I had for two days! I'm depressed, anxious, and full of angst. I go on Friday to have it removed! Thank god!"

Reds2017 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 3, 2016

For Birth Control "Got it in 2014 and just took it out. 2 years 3 months ish and 20 pound weight gain. Some head aches and some mood swings but not as bad as others. No period. 3 day spotting every 3 months. Never got pregnant. So I guess it's effective if u ding mind weight gain. With working out and eating healthy your wont loose anything. My body is also sensitive to hormones so I know now I can't do them after 40 pound weight gain on depo. The removal was more painful than the insertion. There was scar tissue growing around half of it so half was in tact while the other half looked like someone chewed on it. I still have burning and pain after removal. I guess I'll have to see how long the pain lasts."

Diane28 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 3, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on Nexaplonon for 6 weeks now and have been on my period for 3 of those weeks. It's been really frustrating for me because even though my boyfriend is very supportive, understanding, and doesn't mind having sex while I'm spotting, it still makes me feel selfconscoius. On the plus side I have had no cramps! No weight gain yet... And i have acne that keeps popping up but I'm not sure if that's due to the implant or not. I'll stick with it for a couple months to see how my body adjusts to it but right now I'm thinking I should have stuck to the shot."

Quaz May 3, 2016

For Birth Control "I got this implanted in May 2015, so it has been almost a year. It started off great, light spotting, not pregnant, less cramps. 6 months in I started to get heavier periods (My period was never heavy before I got this) and they would be longer each month. I would get about a week off and it would come back. My cramps have gotten continually worse the past few months, as well as my acne. I have also gained 20 pounds (but that could also be attributed to me going to college) but overall, this birth control does what it's supposed to, with some uncomfortable side effects."

Sasha Gray2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2016

For Birth Control "I absolutely hate this thing! I got it implanted at the end of december thinking it would be a great alternative to the pill, after the first month of January. It has prevent pregnancy but I've had a period everyday since January 28. I've also experienced severe depression and mood swings. I will be getting this thing out ASAP, I feel like my mood changes are on a downward spiral."

ambieeeeee May 3, 2016

For Birth Control "I honestly don't know how to rate this. I'm 18 btw. It makes me eat a lot. I can usually control my eating, but I can't anymore. I got the nextplanon inserted the ending of November 2015 while I was on my period. A couple days later my man & I had sex together for the first time (my period was done). Idk if this is accurate or not, but the next day I started spotting & I think sex triggered my period. It was weird. I bleed for a month. It sucked wearing tampons & pads everyday (I hate pads). The next couple of months were good. I either experienced spotting or no period at all. I am currently on my 5th month & I got my period. It lasted 26 days. I'm hesitant to get it removed, but haven't made an exact decision yet."

QueenieQ (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

For Birth Control "Hello, So I have been on Nexplanon for about 2 months now. Everything was fine for about the first month, then everything went to hell. I gained weight, had acne and my mood severely changed. My period started about 3 weeks ago, and it was the period from hell!! I would not stop bleeding! I couldn't take it after two weeks so I called my Dr. I was constantly changing my pad. This wasn't "spotting". My Dr. started me on my birth control pill again. Because of the estrogen, my bleeding stopped in 4 days! I encourage all girls who can't take the bleeding, acne, and weight gain to talk to their Dr. about starting back on estrogen. My body is back to normal just after 4 days! Talk to your Dr. ladies, this really helps!!!"

JackieO123 May 2, 2016

"I got the nexplanon implant because my periods would come with extreme cramps that put me down for 4-5 days. I would sleep all the time and couldn't help but to cry because I was in so much pain. So, my OB suggested a birth control and I heard really bad things about the depo shot so I didn't want that & I hadn't heard anything bad about the implant. So I went with it rather than the shot. I had the implant for three months. In the time that I had it, I had nothing but horrific migraines, cramping and I bled for 3 weeks, stopped for 6 days, & now I've been bleeding for 30 days. I've had a headache since 2-1-16. I am an emotional wreck. I cry at the stupidest things and I get upset over nothing. I highly recommend not getting this implant."

Mandypatts826 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

For Birth Control "Migrainesssss!!!!!, weight gain, breast tenderness, VERTIGO, tired, back pain. No bleeding. Do not do it!!!!"

GJoga (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2016

For Birth Control "I was on Deposit-Provera for 23 years and my MD decided I needed to come off of it and placed Nexplanon in my arm. I would have just had tubes tied except I have PCOS and need the hormones to control cysts. It was placed in October 2014 and periods started July 2015 and have been relentless since occurring 7-9 days every other week and I also have PMDD and the change almost made me end up in psych ward. I became extremely depressed and wanted to get away from everybody and everything so My MD started me on estradiol in addition yo Zoloft I take already for PMDD. This was slightly helpful but not much and mood swings and depression did not calm down until I put myself on Estroven and Relacore to help stabilize my PMDD. periods are painful."

Cathymarie7 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 1, 2016

For Birth Control "I had no problems with it. It saved my life. I didn't bleed. Until last June 2015. I bleed June until I made a doctor appointment with my doctor in August 2015. Well I found out that I had cervical cancer and a tumor growing in my right ovary. Cervical cancer runs in my family. Fyi go and get checked. They don't test women until they are 35 and over. I found out when I was 29. I have had migraine headache since I could remember. Weight gain none until I was put on so much medication. Now here's the down side. I had mine removed last Thursday 2016 to see if it helps lesson the headaches, also found out that I beat cancer in the booty. Nope they have gotten worse. I'm not sleeping. My stomach is killing me. Omgosh my hormones are out of wack."

Saved my Life (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 1, 2016

For Birth Control "Great bc you don't get pregnant, but not so great that you retain all weight gain. No matter how much dieting or exercise, you keep your weight and you may gain some more. I also noticed some thinning of my hair. I've had it in for almost 2yrs. The spotting stops after the first few months and the last few months I've been spotting/period free all together. Sex drive is totally down too- never in the mood. But if you can handle these side effects, not having to take the pill or deal with other forms of birth control -this is the easiest and best method for me!"

CaniceR (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 29, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the implant put in 5 weeks ago and for the first 3 weeks everything was okay. I had some really light bleeding but it was manageable. However, the last 2 weeks have been awful! I've constantly been having migraines and feeling so unwell! I even threw up! I feel so bloated all of the time and I've put on soo much weight ! I really hope this calms down because its really affecting everything i do :'( obviously i want it taken out but the nurses advised me to keep it in for 6 months but honestly i dont know how much longer i can last! Constantly crying too :'("

Crystal18743877 April 29, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had my bar since September of 2015. So a most 8 months. It does exactly what the Dr's said. No leriod. No babies. No worrying about taking a pill or daily or anything. The only bad thing... it has caused me to gain a buck of wait. I was doing good losing weight before. I had lost 10 pounds. Since I had this in. I've gained 20 almost 30 pounds!"

Boog_boogg April 29, 2016

For Birth Control "I used Nuva ring in the past and it worked very well, the only reason why I decided to try Nexplanon was because I was moving to Europe for a study abroad program and wanted to avoid having to get a new prescription to get Nuva ring and have to go thorough another doctor in Europe etc... I have the implant since september 2015, at first it was OK I just had a minor bruise that lasted about a week and that was it, no pain, as a matter of fact it was too good to be true. The first month I did not have my period eveyrthing was going so well until the second month, I start spotting then bleeding then spotting again, it felt like I had a period since then, I start having acne like I never before. 8 month later I can't wait to take this thing out"

BriannaJK April 29, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm on Nexplanon for about a week or so and already breaking out bad also have lower stomach pain which is one of the signs to call a doctor to remove it going tomorrow also coughed out a little blood never again the side effects scare me read them all on the nexplanon website along with others don't recommend rather be on something that has less severe side effects"

Anonymous April 29, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the implant a little over a year ago. The doctor made it sound great (no pills, etc..) so I went for it. Here I am a year later...STILL bleeding every day. I haven't experienced any other side effects (maybe hair thinning but that might just be me getting paranoid) and it has been effective in preventing pregnancy as well as convenient. The cons definitely outweigh the pros though, I am now starting an estrogen pill on top of this to hopefully regulate the bleeding. Buying sanitary items constantly over the past year has also gotten expensive. I will not get this replaced and hopefully can get it removed soon."

Marie511 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 29, 2016

For Birth Control "Had nexplanon for a little over a year and a half. No period which was great, but the weight gain was awful. I was always around 130 and I went to get it removed today and weighed 159. Ridiculous. It was nice to not have to take a pill. But I noticed a loss of energy and depression from the weight gain. Just haven't felt like myself. As for preventing pregnancy it's great..but I won't be getting it again. I pray that I can lose this weight now.."

Deflepgirl April 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the nexplanon about 6 months ago. I have not had severe side effects i do get headaches but they might be due to my lack of sleep. I have not gained any weight i actually lost 5 pounds on it. My eating became much healthier and I am currently trying to slowly go on a plant based lifestyle. I exercise 3 times a week minimum. I do have to say that im constantly spotting and on my period which is a minus and im hoping i will soon stop having two periods a month but overall i like it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I am just past my 2 year mark with nexplannon and I have mixed feelings about it. After I got it I bled for 2 weeks straight and then it went away. I gained about 15-20 pounds on and off the whole time and the one side effect I get the most is numbness. Specifically numbness in my left knee and my right wrist. It's always in those places and never anywhere else. On the plus side, I'm not pregnant so it's doing its job. I love not having to remember pills!"

Nicole11111 April 28, 2016

For Birth Control "Had nexplanon for little over 6 months and I recently got it taken out due to me bleeding for those 6 months. I hated it. I was very emotional. I would cry for no reason. Plus I had horrible headaches."

123449473 April 28, 2016

For Birth Control "Horrible horrible! I bled for 7 months. I got bad Anxiety. The implant got lost in svared tissue in my arm which made it very hard to remove. I now hv mirena. Hopefully its better for me."

Sunshyne123 April 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on Nexplanon for 4 months and I love it! It has helped my cystic acne and I only had my period the first month. No pills to remember and no side effects for me other than no more period. It's so nice not having a period! No weight gain issues either. Very happy with this decision!!"

Britt50 April 27, 2016

For Birth Control "Nexplanon was really the only option that would work for me. IUD would have been too painful to insert, pills would have been forgotten to get taken, don't even get me started on shots (I hate needles). Anyways the first few months my period was irregular as the doctor predicted that it would be. I don't think I gained much weight or got headaches, but my emotional (as well as physical) state did change. About 5 months in my period finally stopped and I was ecstatic. I didn't have any cramps, my mood was back to normal, I didn't feel tired anymore! Life was great. I like to think back at that time as a honeymoon phase( so blissful). Now the irregular periods have started back up again and they are back with a vengeance."

Malia_C (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 27, 2016