User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Birth Control 296 reviews 224 medications

7.2
Summary of Nexplanon reviews 296 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Nexplanon

Review by slvrgrl98 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I have read most of these reviews and all have had the same experience that I have had. I have not stopped bleeding since I had it put in 2 1/2 months ago. I am extremely moody and hormonal. It is effective but all of us women should not have to be experiencing PMS symptoms on an every day basis. I am getting this out of me very soon.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2014 10:31 AM

Review by kczmommy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: Got it in 4/11/14. 1st 2 wks couldn't keep anything down. Dr tested and gave anti-nausea pills which worked. Period started 3rd week and seemed normal. Everytime boyfriend and I get intimate I start bleeding again. I have gained 35 lbs the last 3 months and have not changed my eating habits or lifestyle. I am nauseated ALL the time and sick ALL the time. Find myself running to bathroom few nights a week. Feel pregnant. More irritable. Boyfriend and I have discussed things and we both are not happy with the way it's making me feel sick all the time. Getting this thing removed next Tuesday morning!

July 28, 2014 2:18 PM

Review by Amber seed (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I have had Nexplanon since May of 2014 it is now August of 2014 and I have been bleeding every since. I have gained 20 pounds since then and I also have acne now. I'm getting this thing taken out as soon as possible. I wish this was the birth control method for me but it's not. I like the idea of not having to take a pill every single day but after this, I'm willing a and ready to go back to the pill. Good luck if you decide to take this method.

July 26, 2014 12:09 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I hate it, I've gained almost 30 pounds with it and counting! I've had it since October and hope to get it removed next month.

July 25, 2014 2:25 AM

Review by Lo1414:

For Birth Control: I am 23 years old. I got the Nexplanon right after my son was born. The 2 first months I bled like usual than I began getting 2 periods per month. That lasted about four months. I did see lots of blood clots and dark brown blood for several days when period was ending. I've been on this contraceptive for over a year and 3 months and the bleeding still is no joke. Besides the long unpredictable periods I had no other side effects.

July 24, 2014 1:28 AM

Review by raspberrysocks (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: Not been on for long but mainly got it for PMDD symptoms - which are very similar to the mood swings effects of Nexplanon. I feel amazing. I was so scared to have it done but it didn't hurt to get it in - but the bruises were unsightly and meant I had to wear long sleeved tops for a week. Only side effects for me are occasional headaches, more spots (solved by daily facewash), dry throat, appetite, and similar to Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms but all solved by boosting blood sugar. Spotting isn't a problem as long as you remember to carry pantyliners. This is nothing compared to my past problems, very happy - but yet to see if it prevents pregnancy!

July 22, 2014 4:12 PM

Review by BabyMoney:

For Birth Control: I've had the Nexplanon for about 4 months. Pros and cons. Pros very reliable, no worrying, and no forgetting to take or change anything. Cons extremely irregular periods; first period with it was 2 weeks then no period for 2 months. My recent period had lasted for 1 month and there is no telling when its going to end. Need to get removed NOW.

July 22, 2014 3:09 AM

Review by mandywward:

For Birth Control: I got this put in roughly 7 months ago, and honestly I've had no problems at all. I was, like many, nervous because of all the horror stories I heard about bleeding and moodiness and decreased sex drive, but decided to try it. I have had no prolonged bleeding, I get a 3-4 day long period once a month. I am not moody at all which is great, because the pill made me crazy. And I haven't noticed a significant difference in my sex drive, though it has decreased a little - my boyfriend and I have had no problems. I'm glad my body reacted positively to this, because it is a very efficient method of birth control. I truly recommend at least trying it to see how your body reacts, and be sure to remember to give it some time to settle in.

July 21, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I decided on Nexplanon because I would forget to take my birth control pills. So thought it would be a lot easier since I wouldn't have to take any more pills. I've had it for a couple of months now. I was fine the first two months and then started bleeding and have been for the passed 2.5 months non stop. For me, it's not worth it. I am sick of the bleeding and not being able to have sex with my husband. It's not fair to him. I am gladly going back to birth control pills and will make myself remember to take them on time everyday. Nexplanon did not work for me.

July 20, 2014 10:47 PM

Review by Krissyalexis97:

For Birth Control: I just got Nexplanon 3 days ago and so far I'm loving it! It was free for me since I'm 17. Even though the experience has only been so short, many people were posting plenty of complaints on their experience of the insertion of implanted and the pain as well as the soreness they felt. For me it wasn't painful at all. The insertion was very quick and easy. My nurse went over the procedure and symptoms with me as well as having me take a pregnancy test before the insertion (even though I haven't had sex in over 2 months with my boyfriend). My arm isn't sore, but there is a tiny bruise forming. The only bad symptom is I've been eating a LOT, but I'm 105 lbs and never gain weight. So far I'm happy with the method.

July 20, 2014 12:58 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I've had Nexplanon about 10 months and I've bleed all of the 10 months. My face is horribly broke out my chest and back have little bit of acne, I get moody, tired, achy and cramps bad. It works as I have not gotten pregnant but I have all these terrible side effects, sometimes my arm hurts where the rod is.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 18, 2014 8:31 PM

Review by Ohiowan (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I had this inserted in October 2013 after consulting with my doctor, who pushed it for the convenience. Insertion was quick and painless, with minor stinging. The first 2 months were AWFUL with acne, depression, crying, and mood swings, which stabilized once I recognized the cause. Months 4 to 6 were even worse because I would not stop bleeding. Numerous times I wanted it removed, but my doctor told me to give my body 6 months to adjust. Finally after almost 10 months my body is doing better. Bleeding has stopped for 6 weeks and counting although I am fighting slight weight gain of 3 to 5 pounds. Yes, you cannot beat the convenience, but you need to seriously consider the side effects because they were unbearable many times for me.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2014 6:29 PM

Review by JReneeCreations:

For Birth Control: I got it June 2nd. Started spotting June 26th. It is now 3 weeks later and I'm still bleeding. It is annoying as heck. I have no desire for sex. If I get too hungry I start feeling super dizzy. The headaches are out of this world. I am so moody I just want to curse my boyfriend out all the time and he is the nicest person in the world. I don't know if I can take a full 6 months of this. It is great not having to take a pill but geez... I'll update in another month or so I guess!

July 17, 2014 2:47 PM

Review by Cup cake slim:

For Birth Control: I had the Nexplanon since 2008 and been getting it ever since I love the fact I don't have a period since I been on it. And I don't have to keep up with any other birth control, no side effects no mood change, love having sex and no weight gain. Just loving life you should try it.

July 17, 2014 11:38 AM

Review by MaganM (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: So I've been on Nexplanon for 2 years this June. (2014). Pros- it works, I don't have to worry about taking a pill everyday, I don't feel it in my arm, I don't have a period but every 8 to 6 months and it's super light. Only gained 5 pounds in 2 yrs. Cons- I had to deal with a little bit of acne, but after seeing a dermatologist I have great skin. It made me moody, I would be moody around the same time every month, so it was like I had PMS but never a period to follow. I am tired a lot. I got headaches and nausea for the first 6 months. I developed irritable bowel syndrome, however I fixed that issue by taking fiber regularly and probiotics and I'm fine now. All in all I've had a good experience nothing major I've had to deal with.

July 13, 2014 10:33 AM

Review by Chelseyyyann (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: Before I got nexplanon I looked up reviews. Which was a horrible idea. I read tons and tons of bad things about it. Eventually I built up the courage to finally get it. These are my "pros" and "cons". Pros: I didn't have to worry about taking a pill or changing a patch/ ring/ diaphram. I only had 2 periods! And I didn't get pregnant on it! Cons: gave me headaches. Hot flashes and I felt super nauseous when I would get hungry. And I gained 50 pounds! Today was 9 months of me being on it. I got it removed this morning. Now I'm going to try Mirena. Not every form of birth control is right for everyone!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2014 7:30 PM

Review by KrystalN (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: My experience so far is pretty good. I got this about three weeks ago and a week after I got it I had my period which was fine, I was just worried it was going to keep going from all the reviews. I have been on the pill since I was 16 and my husband and I decided to wait 3 years to have a child so that's why I went with this form of birth control. I haven't had any weight gain, but I am also an avid exerciser. So if that is what you are worried about then you should probably just work out and eat better! Just do it you have nothing to lose especially since insurance usually pays for it all!

July 11, 2014 1:59 PM

Review by Ladyrage21 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I tried Nexplanon in 2012 after my second miscarriage. I didn't have a period until November, it was inserted in August and they where so heavy it also caused slight lactation. Not like leaky or anything just if I squeezed. Got it out in December cause my periods where unbearable. My daughter was born in March 2014. May 2014 I got it put back into see if I reacted the same 2 weeks in a had I super light two week period and haven't had anything since weight loss but no gain, a tiny bit of acne. Not sure if I'm moody due to the Nexplanon or my bipolar but I honestly love it. I want sex all the time and my husband loves the fact I don't have to worry about missing a dose. I love it too. I highly recommend at least trying it.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 10, 2014 2:35 PM

Review by kgirly134 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: The first 6 months were good. Now it's starting to get annoying because I keep spotting for a long time this month and my cramps really do take a lot out me.

July 9, 2014 8:31 PM

Review by Tavia8686:

For Birth Control: I was on the Depo Provera for 5 years. I'm 28 years old and have three children. I have been Depo Provera ever since I had my youngest child before I left the hospital which is 5 years ago. I wanted to try something new long -term besides the IUD. My Nexplanon was implanted March 2014. In April I bled for a whole week then after that no bleeding so far. Also I have not had any side effects. I get very moody every once a while and that's about it so far.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2014 6:39 PM

Review by Ehhhhhhh (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I received the Nexplanon about 4 months ago. I've had on and off bleeding and spotting for the past 3 months, sometimes heavy and sometimes brown spotting. No weight gain and more pimples than usual on my chest and back. I have experienced mood changes, somewhat of a depression and immense fatigue at times. Sex drive has decreased noticeably. I do not feel like myself. May consider removing it at 6 months if issues have not resolved and the doctor will allow it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2014 12:59 PM

Review by KaraLyn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I have tried many birth control methods (the pill, an IUD, NuvaRing, etc.) and I hated every one of them until I got the Nexplanon. I've had it for a couple of months and I can't even feel the rod inside my arm. I have very minimal side effects (occasional spotting) and I even lost some weight. I also don't feel different, emotionally, which is good. Overall, this is by far the best birth control I have ever tried.

July 9, 2014 12:34 PM

Review by avawasalreadyinuse:

For Birth Control: I have had trouble with finding the right birth control in the past. I tried pills, Nuvaring, Intrauterine devices, Depo Provera shots, but all of those gave me side effects...mainly weight gain, headaches, feeling sluggish, slipping out of place, inconvenience, etc. My doctor recommended the Nexplanon and I love it. It's so convenient and no worries for 3 years. I've had it for 9 months now. there was a bruise where they inserted it in my arm and it was a bit sore for about 3 days. A week after getting the birth control, I got my period which lasted 8 days. The following month my period was only 5 days, with some spotting in between periods. Then after the third month I got a light period. Spotting stopped in between periods. Now I have been period free for 6 months.

July 7, 2014 9:25 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: This is a great birth control, overall. I had one period about a week after insertion and after that, no more periods. I didn't really make me moody or anything. The only downside was that I was gaining weight. About a pound a month and very difficult to lose. After OVER a YEAR on it (and 15lbs later), I began spotting for 3 weeks straight. It didn't stop until I got it removed (I got it removed for the weight issue, not the spotting). It would be perfect if it didn't make me gain weight. I already lost a few lbs after getting it removed earlier this week.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 4, 2014 10:37 AM

Review by sammylea (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I'm 17 years old. I had the Nexplanon inserted 1 year ago. I was getting the Depo shots for 2 years before I got the implant because I had very heavy and long periods. I got sick of going in every month for a shot so I figured getting the implant that lasts 3 years would be perfect and I wouldn't have to worry about getting pregnant. I haven't had a period since I got the implant, no spotting or any bleeding at all. I didn't gain any weight from it. Its not common for people to gain weight from it. But if you do eat healthy and exercise and you should be fine.

July 3, 2014 11:21 AM