User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Birth Control 806 reviews 255 medications

6.8
Summary of Nexplanon reviews 806 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Nexplanon

For Birth Control "Getting nexplanon means getting stabbed in the arm. It hurts a bit but better than getting a metal spring stuck in your uterus I say. I have been period free since day 1. That's right, no period. I also have not gained any weight, and have had no issues with acne. The thing lasts three years. THREE YEARS! I am worry free, side effect free, and baby free. What more can you ask for?"

MikaylaSeiler (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 30, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had nexplanon since February of 2015, it was great at first when I got it, no periods, no cramps, nothing. At the end of July I started spotting (which was normally when I would start a period before birth control). I just thought maybe it was just a few times a year I would have a small period. Well not even 2 weeks later I had a full blown period and heavy at that. Awful cramps and mood swings came with this period and it lasted longer than any period I had ever had before. After it was over another 2 weeks went by and I started my period again. This one is not that heavy but it's really annoying me and I got so used to not having one I was spoiled. I am hoping that these multiple periods in a month stop."

JosieJ95 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 29, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the implant in June of 2015. The first week or so was great, no spotting no worries. The next week I starting light spotting that varied- which I was told was expected and common. I was also told that after the first two months most of the symptoms would go away and the spotting would stop. It's now been 2 months and 5 days- I've been on my full on period since and I'm worried these symptoms won't stop. It's been effective with not getting me pregnant but at this point I'm seriously considering getting it taken out."

Not sure what to do August 29, 2015

For Birth Control "I've had this for about 4 months now and its stopped my periods completely, I love it as a form of birth control but the main down side is the weight gain. I was 10 and a half stone on the pill before this, now I'm nearly 12 stone in 4 months and have horrible purple stretch marks on my stomach all over. Never had stretch marks on my stomach in my whole life. Like I said I love this as a form of birth control, especially since its stopped my periods but I can't deal with this weight gain. I'm exercising more and eating healthier and still the stretch marks come."

Nikki595 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2015

For Birth Control "When I had gotten my first period while on nexplanon it had lasted 2 months. But it was very light so I felt like I could deal with it. After that period was over I made it from October 2014 to July 2015 with NO PERIOD and no pregnancy scare. Since I've gotten my period back I have it almost all the time! Like bleed for 2 weeks then a 3 day break and my period comes right back. I used to say how much I love it but it is now almost September 2015 so I have been having my period for about 3 months straight and it sucks. I have lost over 15 pounds from exercising since I have had it implanted so I wonder if that has anything to with the almost constant period."

lauuuuren16 August 29, 2015

For Birth Control "So I first got the nexplanon in July of 2014, for the first 5 months I was fine, I didn't get my period and if I did it was random spotting (very light) but around January I noticed I was very emotional EVERYTHING made me cry. Then my period started coming twice a month with horrific cramps. Or I would spot for 2-3 weeks have a week where I thought It was over and started spotting again. I've now had it for 13 months and it does the job because I havent gotten pregnant. But that's only because I haven't been able to have sex cause I don't know when my period is going to come"

Classyke August 28, 2015

For Birth Control "I've had the nexplanon in for about a year. I didn't like it at first because after I gave birth I got it inserted about a couple weeks after. Obviously I still had my period so when I got it in, I had heavy bleeding everyday for about a month. I always felt like I was pregnant because I had symptoms like nausea, bloating, mood swings, and my breasts swelled up. I talked to my doctor and she gave me pills to control my estrogen and that helped within 3 days. After that it was smooth sailing. Within the year I had spotting twice that lasted about a week. I felt normal again and for me it was awesome. I did however get it removed couple days ago only because my husband and I are planning on getting pregnant. I will use nexplanon again!"

Kawaiola (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 28, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had this implant for 2 years and it's great ! The longest that I had my period for was a month. But it was only really light spotting. I have not suffered any side effects except blacking out twice after getting it implanted. But even with blacking out I'm not too sure it was from the implant as it hasn't happened since. Now I have not had my period for 8 months and it's great !"

Rose.xo August 28, 2015

For Birth Control "I've had this nexplanon for 2 1/2 years I loved it the first two years no periods no side effects everything was perfect. I don't know if it's because it's about to expire that I am now feeling all the side effects I'm sleepy all the time. I get massive headaches and I also get dizzy out of no where. I've also noticed that I don't have a sex drive anymore AND IT hurts after intercourse. I never thought it was possible but I did love it until now."

Anonymous;-) (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 28, 2015

For Birth Control "I started Nexplanon June 2015. I had spotting for the first 2 weeks, 1 period is July and haven't had another one yet. I don't feel any more anxious than before but I have gained 8 lbs so far. I love it other than the weight gain. Hopefully that stops"

KellyC21 August 27, 2015

For Birth Control "I rated this a 4 because it has been in my arm since December 17th, 2012, and just a few months it finally comes out. I have had nothing but trouble with this thing. My first period on it was 3 months long. 3 MONTHS LONG! I was told that my periods would be lighter, and less time, as a week was my normal. Oh no. Not anymore. When it comes its at LEAST 2 weeks. These past 2 months have been horrendous. I was on 3 weeks, with super bad cramps, off ONE WEEK and its been 2 weeks on again and the cramps are horrifying. I was told several times to let my body adjust, its normal... Its been 2 and a half years, and I'm not dubbing this 'normal'. This thing cannot come out soon enough. It worked on the not getting pregnant part."

Apocalyptickaos (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 27, 2015

For Birth Control "If you're thinking of getting nexplanon or any other birth control for that matter, I want to warn you most people on the internet exaggerate A LOT. As for my background I've had the Mirena IUD and Nexplanon. I'm 18, never been pregnant. Nexplanon has been good for me insertion was painless and quick. As for side effects, I've just had a little bit of acne but nothing major and I'm not even sure it's a side effect from the implant. I've lost a few pounds since getting nexplanon because it does suppress my appetite quiet a bit ( from 125 to 118) the first couple days after insertion I was a little nauseous and couldn't really eat. Other than that nothing else has changed and I'm not pregnant so that's good."

Peony2535 August 27, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had nexplanon since December 2013, and I've put on 90 pounds, I have had terrible mood swings, more severe anxiety, depression, sleep problems, migraines, super sweaty, abdominal swelling and far worse cramps than without, and my breasts actually grew even bigger which is actually not good... And to top it off, I'm almost constantly on my period. It sucks. I'm not pregnant and that's great, but bleeding constantly isn't my ideal. I'd rather not have sex than use this birth control!"

Alisonr August 24, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had this "chip" for the last 7 months. Of those 7 months I have had a period for 6 months and I don't mean spotting. The one month I did not have my period was when my Dr gave me an extra birth control pill to take daily and it worked but when the pills where done the period came back worse within a few days. This "chip" has made me loose over ten pounds. It has made vary emotional and cry about just little things out of no where. I can not control my emotions and have had such bad head aches and stomach pains its not even funny. I just want this thing out out out. I did not even need birth control. I was told it would get rid of my period for 3 years and I was sold on that. I got opposite of what I was told it would do."

Done with it August 24, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had the Nexplanon for two years and I love it. I started with period only every other month. For some time I did have two months in which I had a period almost two weeks of spotting, it stopped and then i got it again a week later. But that only happened once. I don't feel any mood swings other than what I would have before so Its just my normal me. I did gain weight but it was about a year later and i doubt was due to the birth control because I can lose it when I want. I love this birth control it has worked great for me and I do recommend it. It is safe and easy."

Gabs2c (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2015

For Birth Control "I've had nexplanon for about 6 weeks now. The second week I started to spot and have been every day since then. It's very light not enough for a pad or tampon, but is still annoying. I've still been able to be active with my partner and no worries of a baby. I have also lost two pounds every week since I had it placed, but I'm still at a healthy weight so I'm not complaining. If the light spotting would stop it would be my dream birth control. Overall I would recommend it."

My experience (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2015

For Birth Control "I had nexplanon put in June 2015. I love how effective it is as a birth control but I can't stand the side effects. I'm so emotional, wanting to cry over such small things. I have only had small spotting which is nice but my anxiety levels are up and I do not sleep well. My acne is so bad! Not so much my face but my arms and back! I keep very well hydrated and I exercise regularly, I'm very healthy all around so I know it has to do with the implant. I am experiencing dizziness more lately and I'm sad quite a bit. I will be looking for another form of birth control."

RaeRaeLo August 24, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the nexplanon placed around April because my mirena expelled itself and comparatively this birth control is so much better! With the IUD I had terrible cramps and my first period went on for about a month. When I got the nexplanon put in the pain wasn't too bad but I have only had two periods since and both were less than 10 days. I've lost weight, and after a minor crazy spell I'm back to normal :) apart from feeling a rod in my arm it's a great birth control."

NMG (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2015

For Birth Control "Got Nexplanon in February 2015 for irregular periods. I have now gotten my period for the third time in 6 weeks. No thanks. Will probably be looking at getting it removed."

I don't know 12 August 23, 2015

For Birth Control "I had my daughter in March 2015 and I've had the nexplanon for about a month now and so far I love it. The first few days were rough, my arm would feel like the muscle strength would randomly disappear sometimes and there was a day where I had a few hours of morning sickness like nausea. Neither of those side effects have lasted, and I am back to feeling like myself and have actually lost weight! I've gone from 149 to 129 in a month! I haven't had any signs of a period yet which is great for me because my periods are terrible. The only other strange symptom has been two cystic acne like pimples at my hair line that wouldn't go away but I just checked and those have disappeared so I am VERY HAPPY with my decision to get the nexplanon!"

QMC2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2015

For Birth Control "I wanted this to work out so badly, since it is this is the most effective birth control out there, but, I just couldn't tolerate the side effects. Spotting became unpredictable and lasted for several weeks at a time, mood swings started shortly after I got this in, and I gained a bit of weight (~5 lbs.) The deal breaker was the near complete loss of my sex drive, I didn't want the method of birth control to be "have no desire to touch your husband!" It's been out for a bit longer than a week, and the spotting stopped in a couple days, the desire for my husband came back in just under a week, and my moods have leveled a bit; I feel more like myself again."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 21, 2015

For Birth Control "Everyone is saying they bleed way too much with this birth control, I have had one period in the past three months, I almost thought I was pregnant because of how moody and sick I was getting. I did experience weight gain, a panic attack, and suicidal thoughts. I still have the implant, because it does its job well. I feel pain in the injection site almost constantly. I can feel the device under my skin and it's weird as hell. But at least I'm not pregnant."

NotAMom August 21, 2015

For Birth Control " I have been on this for 2 1/2 years now. I am going to have it removed because I have gained weight using it, my periods are heavier and longer with clots, I have become very moody, anxious and angry at the very slightest thing which I wasn't before. I get very terrible migraines with aura. I spoke to my doctor and she said she does not think these side effects could be due to the nexplanon. I have booked an appointment to have it removed anyway. I will see if this helps. The only good thing it does to me is it is effective in preventing pregnancies"

Anonymous August 21, 2015

For Birth Control "Nexplanon is not a safe birth control. I'm always on my period I will be off of it for a month or maybe more but then ill be on it again for a month, even thought its light and only needs panty liners shit sucks and also my good friends sister passes away recently of a heart attack she was 20 years of age and it has been confirmed Nexplanon was the cause. It is a side effect is to cause blood clots and it was the cause of her death I'm getting it removed asap."

Read thi. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 20, 2015

For Birth Control "Got the nexplanon inserted about a year ago and boy do I regret it... I'm usually a happy person now I'm a wreck stress and all.. first off after giving birth I lost 20lbs after placing the nexplanon I had gained that plus more... damn my family and friends are seeing how I am just letting my self go but I'm not it's this damn birth control I can't help it and yes I've tried to lose weight even went as far as taking diet pills and nothing... I've never took or even thought of taking pills to lose weight but I had no other choice cause dieting and working my butt off isn't doing a thing to me..."

cass30 August 20, 2015