User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Birth Control 286 reviews 224 medications

7.3
Summary of Nexplanon reviews 286 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Nexplanon

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I've had Nexplanon about 10 months and I've bleed all of the 10 months. My face is horribly broke out my chest and back have little bit of acne, I get moody, tired, achy and cramps bad. It works as I have not gotten pregnant but I have all these terrible side effects, sometimes my arm hurts where the rod is.

July 18, 2014 8:31 PM

Review by Ohiowan (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I had this inserted in October 2013 after consulting with my doctor, who pushed it for the convenience. Insertion was quick and painless, with minor stinging. The first 2 months were AWFUL with acne, depression, crying, and mood swings, which stabilized once I recognized the cause. Months 4 to 6 were even worse because I would not stop bleeding. Numerous times I wanted it removed, but my doctor told me to give my body 6 months to adjust. Finally after almost 10 months my body is doing better. Bleeding has stopped for 6 weeks and counting although I am fighting slight weight gain of 3 to 5 pounds. Yes, you cannot beat the convenience, but you need to seriously consider the side effects because they were unbearable many times for me.

July 17, 2014 6:29 PM

Review by JReneeCreations:

For Birth Control: I got it June 2nd. Started spotting June 26th. It is now 3 weeks later and I'm still bleeding. It is annoying as heck. I have no desire for sex. If I get too hungry I start feeling super dizzy. The headaches are out of this world. I am so moody I just want to curse my boyfriend out all the time and he is the nicest person in the world. I don't know if I can take a full 6 months of this. It is great not having to take a pill but geez... I'll update in another month or so I guess!

July 17, 2014 2:47 PM

Review by Cup cake slim:

For Birth Control: I had the Nexplanon since 2008 and been getting it ever since I love the fact I don't have a period since I been on it. And I don't have to keep up with any other birth control, no side effects no mood change, love having sex and no weight gain. Just loving life you should try it.

July 17, 2014 11:38 AM

Review by MaganM (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: So I've been on Nexplanon for 2 years this June. (2014). Pros- it works, I don't have to worry about taking a pill everyday, I don't feel it in my arm, I don't have a period but every 8 to 6 months and it's super light. Only gained 5 pounds in 2 yrs. Cons- I had to deal with a little bit of acne, but after seeing a dermatologist I have great skin. It made me moody, I would be moody around the same time every month, so it was like I had PMS but never a period to follow. I am tired a lot. I got headaches and nausea for the first 6 months. I developed irritable bowel syndrome, however I fixed that issue by taking fiber regularly and probiotics and I'm fine now. All in all I've had a good experience nothing major I've had to deal with.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2014 10:33 AM

Review by Chelseyyyann (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: Before I got nexplanon I looked up reviews. Which was a horrible idea. I read tons and tons of bad things about it. Eventually I built up the courage to finally get it. These are my "pros" and "cons". Pros: I didn't have to worry about taking a pill or changing a patch/ ring/ diaphram. I only had 2 periods! And I didn't get pregnant on it! Cons: gave me headaches. Hot flashes and I felt super nauseous when I would get hungry. And I gained 50 pounds! Today was 9 months of me being on it. I got it removed this morning. Now I'm going to try Mirena. Not every form of birth control is right for everyone!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2014 7:30 PM

Review by KrystalN (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: My experience so far is pretty good. I got this about three weeks ago and a week after I got it I had my period which was fine, I was just worried it was going to keep going from all the reviews. I have been on the pill since I was 16 and my husband and I decided to wait 3 years to have a child so that's why I went with this form of birth control. I haven't had any weight gain, but I am also an avid exerciser. So if that is what you are worried about then you should probably just work out and eat better! Just do it you have nothing to lose especially since insurance usually pays for it all!

July 11, 2014 1:59 PM

Review by Ladyrage21 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I tried Nexplanon in 2012 after my second miscarriage. I didn't have a period until November, it was inserted in August and they where so heavy it also caused slight lactation. Not like leaky or anything just if I squeezed. Got it out in December cause my periods where unbearable. My daughter was born in March 2014. May 2014 I got it put back into see if I reacted the same 2 weeks in a had I super light two week period and haven't had anything since weight loss but no gain, a tiny bit of acne. Not sure if I'm moody due to the Nexplanon or my bipolar but I honestly love it. I want sex all the time and my husband loves the fact I don't have to worry about missing a dose. I love it too. I highly recommend at least trying it.

July 10, 2014 2:35 PM

Review by kgirly134 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: The first 6 months were good. Now it's starting to get annoying because I keep spotting for a long time this month and my cramps really do take a lot out me.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2014 8:31 PM

Review by Tavia8686:

For Birth Control: I was on the Depo Provera for 5 years. I'm 28 years old and have three children. I have been Depo Provera ever since I had my youngest child before I left the hospital which is 5 years ago. I wanted to try something new long -term besides the IUD. My Nexplanon was implanted March 2014. In April I bled for a whole week then after that no bleeding so far. Also I have not had any side effects. I get very moody every once a while and that's about it so far.

July 9, 2014 6:39 PM

Review by Ehhhhhhh (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I received the Nexplanon about 4 months ago. I've had on and off bleeding and spotting for the past 3 months, sometimes heavy and sometimes brown spotting. No weight gain and more pimples than usual on my chest and back. I have experienced mood changes, somewhat of a depression and immense fatigue at times. Sex drive has decreased noticeably. I do not feel like myself. May consider removing it at 6 months if issues have not resolved and the doctor will allow it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 9, 2014 12:59 PM

Review by KaraLyn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I have tried many birth control methods (the pill, an IUD, NuvaRing, etc.) and I hated every one of them until I got the Nexplanon. I've had it for a couple of months and I can't even feel the rod inside my arm. I have very minimal side effects (occasional spotting) and I even lost some weight. I also don't feel different, emotionally, which is good. Overall, this is by far the best birth control I have ever tried.

July 9, 2014 12:34 PM

Review by avawasalreadyinuse:

For Birth Control: I have had trouble with finding the right birth control in the past. I tried pills, Nuvaring, Intrauterine devices, Depo Provera shots, but all of those gave me side effects...mainly weight gain, headaches, feeling sluggish, slipping out of place, inconvenience, etc. My doctor recommended the Nexplanon and I love it. It's so convenient and no worries for 3 years. I've had it for 9 months now. there was a bruise where they inserted it in my arm and it was a bit sore for about 3 days. A week after getting the birth control, I got my period which lasted 8 days. The following month my period was only 5 days, with some spotting in between periods. Then after the third month I got a light period. Spotting stopped in between periods. Now I have been period free for 6 months.

July 7, 2014 9:25 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: This is a great birth control, overall. I had one period about a week after insertion and after that, no more periods. I didn't really make me moody or anything. The only downside was that I was gaining weight. About a pound a month and very difficult to lose. After OVER a YEAR on it (and 15lbs later), I began spotting for 3 weeks straight. It didn't stop until I got it removed (I got it removed for the weight issue, not the spotting). It would be perfect if it didn't make me gain weight. I already lost a few lbs after getting it removed earlier this week.

July 4, 2014 10:37 AM

Review by sammylea (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I'm 17 years old. I had the Nexplanon inserted 1 year ago. I was getting the Depo shots for 2 years before I got the implant because I had very heavy and long periods. I got sick of going in every month for a shot so I figured getting the implant that lasts 3 years would be perfect and I wouldn't have to worry about getting pregnant. I haven't had a period since I got the implant, no spotting or any bleeding at all. I didn't gain any weight from it. Its not common for people to gain weight from it. But if you do eat healthy and exercise and you should be fine.

July 3, 2014 11:21 AM

Review by Abbyjeanette (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: I got this implant in February of 2013. I've not had a single period since. Every once in awhile some old blood will come out nothing heavy at all and it lasts maybe a week. I had no pain with insertion. As far as side effects I've only had mood swings, sometimes the insertion site itches but not often and usually subsides quickly after itching. No weight gain, headaches, periods, acne, and no decreased Sex drive. I love this implant because I was on the pill before and I could never remember to take it with this you don't have to worry about remembering anything. I would definitely recommend this.

July 1, 2014 1:43 AM

Review by mystery505 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: Spotting for two weeks then period for a week.. followed by a couple days spotting then two weeks later it starts all over again. I was told to wait six months before I have it taken out. They told me my period could go away completely, my body just has to get used to it. My sex life is suffering!

June 28, 2014 2:38 PM

Review by gemglc (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: I liked Nexplanon for not having to remember to take a pill everyday and it did it's job. Apart from light spotting for the first 2 month I had no period for the other 15 months. Down sides were I put 2 stone on which is not budging. I had horrendous irritable bowel syndrome which thankfully disappeared the day it was removed. It took 8 months to have it removed as it had gone too deep in my arm and so had to wait for hospital appointment. Even though it was 9mm deep it didn't hurt having it removed. Just waiting for my 2nd period off, they appear to be every 6 weeks but lighter and shorter (3-4 days). Just wish the weight would go now

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 28, 2014 5:30 AM

Review by Those Darn Side Effects (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I did pills for a few years, Ortho Evra patches for 2 to 3 years and got this inserted in Feb 2014, 4 months ago because I'm traveling months at a time and didn't want to worry about keeping track of getting birth control. I had a normal period plus spotting for the first month then just constant spotting for thee next two months and finally nothing. My sex drive is blah but never really had one, I would say I'd consider going back to the patches because of this crazy acne. I've never had acne and as soon as I switched I don't know what to do with all this acne and I don't wear makeup, nothing changed in my life but the birth control. I've also gone from 110lbs to 130lbs and that is making me really consider changing, still bloated constantly.

June 26, 2014 4:47 PM

Review by Terra Iver:

For Birth Control: I'm sixteen, and I got this put in May 14th, 2014. For about a week and a half I had no bleeding, but since May 26th I've had constant bleeding. My friend who is on Nexplanon said she bled for two months when she first got it and then had one regular period after that. I have a little more acne than usual but I can deal with it. I haven't gained any weight, in fact I've lost weight. My long period is really putting a damper on my sex life. Also it's summer time and obviously I'm going to want to swim a lot, yet I have to worry about a period as I do so. Overall, the only side affect that's really getting to me is my period, which is mostly heavy right now. I'm hoping it will go away soon because I'm sick of it.

June 23, 2014 7:56 AM

Review by Summerloving:

For Birth Control: I've had this for about 6 months and I haven't got my period since I got put on this most people would think this is great but I have sex all the time and every month I worry am I pregnant and with the implant it's possible to have a ectopic which would mean outside the womb which could kill you so I'm really considering getting it taken out. Other then that if you don't worry like me then its great.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2014 12:21 AM

Review by Teal babb (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I've had Nexplanon for two years this month. As soon as I had it inserted, I haven't had a period for two years. No spotting either. No acne and no weight gain. (Of course I'm a p90x student also). But yesterday my first period in two years started. I sure hope it doesn't last long because this will be the first one I've had. And my cramps are awful this time. And of course no period for two years I had to run out and buy tampons right away. But I do recommend it.

June 19, 2014 8:48 AM

For Birth Control: I went from the pill, right to Nexplanon, I've had it for over a month, I have felt literally no difference, no weight gain or crazy cravings, I feel like it's actually helped my acne, it was painless, only thing was it made my piercings hurt because of the hormones but that went away in about a week. I started slightly spotting today, like a dark brown, nothing a panty liner can't help. I love it, I've had none of the experiences others have in these other stories, but everyone is different. I recommend this form of birth control. I will update again in a few months if things change.

June 19, 2014 3:25 AM

Review by Manny09:

For Birth Control: As far as not getting pregnant this thing works great! I've experienced some really annoying side effects too. First off I have no ryme or reason to my cycle and when I have it it's SOOO long. I've "spotted" for 2mos straight before. Also I have little to no sex drive. Guess that makes it easier not to get pregnant!

June 18, 2014 3:02 PM

Review by Elee88:

For Birth Control: I've had Nexplanon inserted about 9 months ago. Sept. 2013 and was on the pills before which I didn't like. I bled for about a month lightly before it went away completely. Loved every minute of no periods and it doesn't affect my sex life at all. In fact, I'm always wanting sex. Can't say anything about acne because I've always had it and weight gain? I've gained 15 pounds but I've always ate a little more than usual so I'm not 100% sure it's the birth control. Recently though, I've had some dark brown bleeding and I'm not sure why. It scared me into thinking I was pregnant. Once this stops and everything seems okay, I would definitely get another one in about 2 years.

June 18, 2014 2:44 AM