User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Birth Control 217 reviews 222 medications

7.5
Summary of Nexplanon reviews 217 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Nexplanon

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I used this for endometriosis and birth control. Nexplanon works great for pregnancy prevention, and while I was breastfeeding I had no issues. Once I stopped, it became useless for me. I had it put it to help with my endometriosis pain, and it hasn't done a thing.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 17, 2014 11:54 AM
Review by Haleykay: User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I choose Nexplanon because of my busy college & work schedule, however I seriously regret it. I have never seen so many break-outs on my face! My hair has also gotten just different than normal- very greasy at times & dry at other times. I'm also having an extremely hard time maintaining my weight. The one thing that really made me want it out is that my boyfriend noticed I've gotten super moody! I seriously cry at everything! I am going to have it removed ASAP, I'm going back to the pill which I have been on for the past 3 years.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 14, 2014 11:55 PM
Review by JaxonsMama: User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I got Nexplanon about 6 weeks after I had my son in May 2013 and I've had a mostly positive experience with it. For the first couple of months, I had no period. The next few months, a very light period which is great because before getting pregnant, my period was pretty heavy. Then last month my period was about a week long, and VERY heavy. I haven't had any other side effects at all. No moodiness, a little bit of weight gain but I think that's because I stopped breastfeeding, no headaches, and no acne. I love not having to worry about birth control. This thing is great.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 12, 2014 8:42 PM
Review by TrojanGal (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I had Nexplanon implanted in November of 2013. The site was initially lumpy and swollen but now I don't feel it. For Birth Control it is AMAZING but that's where my benefits end. I have been BLEEDING every day for the past FIVE months. I am extremely moody and have experienced a slight weight gain. It affects my sex life and I will be removing it if the bleeding doesn't stop in two months.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 11, 2014 9:23 AM
Review by Alexa K. (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I've had the Nexplanon for about 3 months and I LOVE it. I still have my period but it only lasts about 3 days. I don't have mood swings, weight gain, etc. The only thing that happened to me was that my arm was bruised for like 4 days after I first got it implanted. Sometimes I even forget about it because it just doesn't cause me any problems. I love it so much that I talked my roommate into getting it and as far as I'm concerned, she doesn't have any problems with it either. I guess it just effects everybody's body differently.

March 25, 2014 10:29 AM
Review by Mohmy: User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I've had Nexplanon for 4 months. It has been effective in preventing pregnancy, and not having to take a pill is convenient. But that's where the pros end. A couple weeks after having it inserted, my mood swings were off the chart. I was snapping at everyone for the littlest things. I've never had a problem with depression in the 23 years I've been alive and have been depressed since I started this birth control. On top of that, my sex drive is GONE. I was crazy, head over heels in love with my husband up until I started this prescription. Now I can hardly stand to have him kiss me I'm so turned off. And it's not him, it's definitely the Nexplanon. Definitely getting it removed.

March 22, 2014 11:29 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I had my Nexplanon put in February of 2013. I had normal periods Feb-April and then nothing until July. Then it lasted about 10 days, which is long for me. I didn't have a period or any spotting at all until now in March 2014. It's been about a week now so I'm curious to see how long it will last. I've gained about 5-8 pounds but it could be other environmental factors. My acne has flared up during this period but I've never had great skin and it's not worse than normal. I like Nexplanon quite a bit, the rod never bothers me and it's very convenient to not have to take a pill.

March 20, 2014 1:17 AM
Review by KEEJ (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I got my Nexplanon inserted January 2013. In the beginning it was great, periods were normal, no other symptoms. About 6 months after it was inserted my periods started getting longer, for a month at a time, was always tired and my breast were always sore. Needless to say I recently had mine removed and will be using another form of contraceptive.

March 14, 2014 4:24 PM
Review by Ani_28: User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: Nexplanon is my first birth control. I have had it for about 5 months now. I had it inserted about 8 weeks after I had my first baby. For the first week after it was inserted, I had a "normal" period and after that, it went away and I have not had another period at all (not even spotting!) I have not gained weight. I have not had any side effects. If you don't want periods, I think it works best if you are breastfeeding at the time you get it.

March 13, 2014 11:58 PM
Review by shae129: User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I got this 4 weeks after my daughter was born and since I've had it my depression has hit the fan, I've got uncontrollable migraines. After November 2013 I had a period every other day and it only lasted an hour, not to mention I have gained 60LBS and my doctor refuses to remove it.

March 13, 2014 10:26 PM
Review by Alexismarie0214: User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I love Nexplanon. I have had it since April 2012 and it is amazing! I rarely get my period but if I do it is very light, not even enough bleeding for tampons. I know some people's main concern is being able to feel it. If I'm not trying to I don't even notice it there! Also, I have not gained any weight and my acne is no worse than it was before. Definitely an option for those of us who have trouble taking a pill every day or making an appointment every three months!

March 13, 2014 1:25 AM
Review by vddd: User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I been on Neplanon for 5 months now, at first it was cool spotting for 2 days then stop. Now I have been spotting for 2 months and gaining weight. Getting it removal in 2 weeks.

March 12, 2014 2:56 PM
Review by 33jrd (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: This thing really does work. I got mine August 2013. I've had regular periods always light and slightly longer.. But the last 2 months I have bled so badly to the point I have developed anemia and my doctor is making me take extra birth control with the shot which is pointless because it really does work.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 7, 2014 1:17 AM
Review by Torilea1436 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I got this in 8 weeks after I had my baby, and I didn't have a period for a few weeks, and now I've been on my period for almost 4 months. NON STOP. It hasn't gotten lighter, and it's not spotting. It has made me super moody, and it started to make me gain weight but I got back on my ADD meds so it evened each other out. The only reason I'm still on this is because I wouldn't remember a pill. Oh, and I've never had any bladder infections until I had this. I had one almost every month since I've had this.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 6, 2014 12:29 PM
Review by Brittany16: User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I got my Nexplanon in October 2013. My first period was normal 7 days very light. My second period was about 3 days real light. And my third was a week light as well then 2 weeks after I spotted for a week. Symptoms I have noticed is acne I've never had such oily hair and skin before, and also some weight gain. I love Nexplanon because I always forgot my pill. I would recommend every girl to get it.

March 4, 2014 11:42 PM
Review by Darian (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I've had the Nexplanon for about four months. It was annoying for a good month and a half almost two from constant bleeding and spotting. But after that I have not had a period. It's great, only now I sometime realize it gets itchy but than the urge to itch goes away. Would definitely recommend to others. If having the bleeding and spotting for long times I would hang in there. It gets better just have to wait it out.

March 4, 2014 7:07 AM
Review by tn14: User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I got Nexplanon inserted 5 months now and the first 3 months I was spotting non-stop and after that I would lightly spot once a month for 2 days which I assume is probably my period. In the beginning, I had a horrible time with the nonstop bleeding and the crazy mood swings but stuck through it and now everything is clear blue skies! Definitely a great option to consider if you're forgetful and can't remember to take a pill everyday.

March 3, 2014 7:18 PM

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I've had mine for about a month now and tomorrow will be my 10th day on my period! Getting it out tomorrow also. That's crazy. Some people I've heard had their period for 2 months straight! Other than the period thing nothing has changed. No other side effects.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 3, 2014 7:12 PM
Review by junebug1993 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: For me, Nexplanon is perfect. I've had it for almost seven months now. I haven't had any side effects besides last two months. No periods until about when the two past months came up. Spotting every now and then for one month, then every other week its like a heavy period for the second month. I feel fine though, no cramps or anything, but for some reason I keep losing weight but that might not be the implant. All around, I love it and would recommend it.

March 1, 2014 8:45 AM
Review by abanana324: User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I love Nexplanon. I got it November of 2013. They made sure to numb my arm so insertion was painless. My arm was sore for about a day but no worse than a harsh workout. I did have mood swings in the first few weeks but nothing out of control. Then I had my period for about 4 weeks which I'm told is normal. Since then I've only had a few days of spotting and nothing else. I'm on a nutritionist guided weight loss plan and have managed to lose 40lbs. So far while on Nexplanon so no problems with weight gain. I get the occasional acne here and there but again nothing too bad. Overall I rate Nexplanon high and its so great to no longer have the responsibility of taking a pill every day.

March 1, 2014 6:53 AM
Review by NewGirl13: User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I got Nexplanon put in on August 8, 2013. Two months after I had a baby boy. I had my period throughout my pregnancy & this is the first birth control I have ever been on. I have also been breast feeding. I got my first period a week or two after I got it out in & so far I've only had two periods. The first one was heavy & lasted ten days & the second which was in October lasted almost a week & was really light. I have some weight gain, a lot of mood swings, headaches every now & then, & sometimes my arm hurts around the insertion area. Otherwise I enjoy being on it with all of these side effects I greatly recommend it to every new mom.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 28, 2014 10:14 AM
Review by laurenrq (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I had Nexplanon inserted on 2 Sept 2013 and its the first method of birth control I've tried. I'd read where it is the most reliable, so went for that option. No pain during insertion or afterwards. Only had a period the first month and nothing since then which feels a little odd but is also bliss! Completely forget it's even in my arm most of the time, however my moods are horrendous, I cry far more than I ever used to, I snap at people and I never used to, I feel very anxious or conscious and often feel exhausted. I don't know if these are side effects of Nexplanon as I'm in my final year at uni so it could be stress etc., but I'd imagine it is the increased hormones. All in all I'd say I've had a good experience most of the time.

February 27, 2014 2:08 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I've had Nexplanon for about a year and 2 months now. It's really great to me. The insertion was painless. My cycle is kind of off balance though. I can say I had my period four times and every time it was for like 3 to 4 days. The acne is horrible I get it in my face, back and chest. No weight gain and slight hair loss nothing major. But overall I do recommend it. It beats getting a shot every couple months and taking a pill everyday.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 27, 2014 1:02 AM
Review by Lauren001: User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: I absolutely love Nexplanon. I got it inserted in July 2013. Since then I have one extremely light period that lasted two days. I have no experience weight gain. I have always had very little acne and Nexplanon did not cause my acne to increase. I also haven't experienced a changes in moodiness. I recommend Nexplanon to my friends all the time. I also have a friend that has it and she really likes it although she has experienced some weight gain. I am very surprised so many people have had such a terrible experience. If you are considering getting Nexplanon do not let these horror stories scare you away. Everyone has a different experience so you'll have to see if it's a good birth control option for you.

February 26, 2014 2:08 PM
Review by jesssssbbyxo (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Nexplanon (etonogestrel) for Birth Control: So far my experience with this birth control method has been fabulous, I got it 6wks postpartum & had one period that was very light bleeding and lasted about a week, I haven't experienced weight gain nor hair loss. The insertion was 100% painless.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate