User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Nexplanon review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 202 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Nexplanon to treat Birth Control

Review by Laconstica:

Constant bloating, my breast have grown from a small C to large D. Gained about 20 lbs since March. I have no bleeding but I do get acne and cramping.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2014 10:17 PM

Review by Megan Reann (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I love this birth control. I've been on the patch, the shot, the pill. All had the same issue, when it was time for my period they would last 2-3weeks. Horrible. I decided to get Nexplanon. I've been on it for 10 months now. It is amazing. The doctor said there was a chance I would bleed through a little at the beginning. That wasn't the case for me. I haven't had a period since the day I got the Nexplanon put in. My face is so clear and perfect now. I did gain a little weight, I'm sure the Nexplanon had a little to do with it or could it be all those cookies I've been eating at night? Haha. I love this birth control. If you doubting it, don't. I doubted it for 2 years and I'm kicking myself for waiting so long.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2014 3:06 PM

Review by MrsDawson (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Absolutely love it. No period, no mood changes, no bleeding, no nothing but a little bit more acne but could be from stress right now because I've been dealing with a lot. But my body got used to it within a month.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2014 2:06 AM

Review by Sheal123456:

It started off good until I started having very bad chest pain then my periods was months long not weeks, then my hair started to fall out ...its the worst.

December 5, 2014 5:46 AM

Review by syr12:

I've been on Nexplanon for 4 months and taking it out. I get headaches everyday, I'm on medium to light periods the WHOLE month (always bloated), and I'm losing a lot of hair not the average amount of hair loss after a pregnancy...also regular acne breakouts which I didn't have. Everyone is different.

December 1, 2014 11:47 AM

Review by Karlalicleon:

I got it inserted in October 2014, no periods since. The only downfall is now would be the time of my second period and I have horrible acne! Other than the acne no other side effects, I can deal with the acne if it's only once a month.

November 30, 2014 2:37 PM

Review by bbarloon (taken for less than 1 month):

Got Nexplanon on November 24th and its been 5 days having it. Had hot flashes for 3 days after I got it put in my arm. Before getting the birth control my moods were severe and out of control but since being on it so far I feel calmer and more relaxed and not feeling like I want to hurt people. I have had itchiness at the insertion site but I think its because it is healing. So all in all I feel its a good birth control. I will wait a few months and review it again after my body gets used to it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 29, 2014 4:39 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Well I've been on this birth control for a while now, probably close to a year now and for the past 2 months I've been on a full period. No other side effects though really.

November 14, 2014 2:46 PM

Probably one of the worst decisions I have made in my adult life. I have always had great skin and on this medication it exploded with both random dryness and severe acne. My emotions were a roller coaster (more than just normal girl stuff). My sex drive plummeted. Constant spotting. Yeah It prevented me from getting pregnant probably because I was always on my period. All in all bad experience.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 13, 2014 12:39 PM

Review by Sucks! (taken for 1 to 2 years):

It's been a year since implant, and my periods are constant, for the last two month I've been bleeding non-stop. It is very effective birth control method since there are no sex involved anyway because of constant bleeding! I was hoping it would go away, but no such luck.

November 12, 2014 5:56 PM

Review by Katesfan (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've had Nexplanon for 5 months and it's just great. No periods, no babies. My sex drive is down a little and I've put on a few pounds, but it's worth it to have no periods. I took my last month of pills at the beginning to transition, and I think that helped - I had a very brief period one month in but haven't seen it since.

November 11, 2014 7:00 AM

Review by Shay7290:

First had it in February 2014 my period didn't stop until July 2014. Horrible then it started to come on just once a month instead of everyday. But I had sex and now it just doesn't come on at all. Weird but it's good birth control. After your body gets use to it first.

November 8, 2014 9:30 AM

Review by Hollybee (taken for 2 to 5 years):

If you don't want to worry about getting pregnant, use this. Never had a scare once since I've had it. I'm scheduled for a replacement next week after 3 years

November 6, 2014 7:20 PM

Review by anapaula:

It's been 18 months I have this birth control. I will never regret having it. Since the day I had it I did not have any bleeding and my mood was not affected. The best option ever!

November 3, 2014 10:36 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I got this in July. I started my regular period when I got it inserted and my period escalated to soaking through a pad every 10 minutes. I took birth control pills to fix this. I bled for 2 months straight like a normal period. Now I always am spotting, some days heavy flow. I usually always feel crampy now. I gained 10 pounds within two weeks of having this, all in my stomach. I always have migraines. I get more pimples and am ALWAYS tired. I randomly get sad and angry for no reason. Also my sex drive has been slowly but surely diminishing. I am keeping it only because it's keeping me baby free.

November 3, 2014 10:22 PM

Review by Hanahh:

I got the Nexplanon inserted on October 3rd, 2014. Insertion was much easier than I thought it would be. Only bad part is I'm allergic to adhesive so I broke out bad where the bandaid was and still have some scarring from that. I had been on the pill for 2 1/2 years and taking it every day was a hassle to remember. The first day I have the Nexplanon my hormones went CRAZY. But after that everything was fine. Super happy no weight gain (if anything I lost weight), my mood swings have almost stopped and I'm not pregnant. I just started spotting a few days ago. Very light. Not enough for a tampon just a small pad. I noticed I have been slightly more emotional but nothing compared to how it used to be while bleeding. So far so good.

November 3, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by gabbijust15093:

It has been great! I have had mine in a little over 3 months now and I have no had ache, headaches or periods. However, I have had mood swings and every once in a while a little spotting whenever I wipe nothing crazy that's something I can handle. I love it

November 2, 2014 3:31 PM

Review by Dreia:

I had nexplanon implanted on 9-25-14 I didn't have a period for maybe the first 5 days after then I started to bled very heavy which lasted for 2 weeks subsided lightly then when me and partner tried intercourse it came back and now has been on every since then getting it took out next month I miss sex a lot !! Don't recommend it but everyone is different

October 31, 2014 3:45 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I'm on the second year of having Nexplanon. At first, I loved having it because I didn't have to remember to take the pill every day and my periods stopped all together. Then the 2nd year I started getting random spotting and now I have been having my period for 3 months on and off, weeks at a time. I thought it would go away, but it continuously happens, so I'm getting it taken out. Its a highly effective birth control especially since I get my period every week now. I haven't experienced any weight gain or mood swings at all though!

October 29, 2014 12:01 PM

Review by reamerm:

This is the best birth control. I got off my period before I got the Nexplanon since then small spotting. Every now and then I was diagnosed with endometriosis. I haven't had any cramps. With the Depo shot I had a period for 2 months, gained 40 pounds. Horrible I know. But I have actually lost weight, no cramps, no heavy flow. I'm so happy with this choice this is the best thing I have done!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 29, 2014 12:25 AM

Review by allisonr:

I got the Nexplanon inserted in February a few days later I started having migraines daily that Excedrin can't cure. I won't have a period for months but when I do its heavy and the cramps are terrible. Acne, moodiness and very emotional.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 28, 2014 10:59 PM

Review by ChaVonneMB:

I like the fact that it keeps me from getting pregnant but the bleeding is out of control. I got mine implanted in December of 2013 and had no side effects for 3 months. Then I started my period and it hasn't gone off yet. It's not heavy at all and I don't have any cramps at all, it's just annoying to have to wear a panty liner and tampon every day because I'm not sure if it's going to be heavier than usual. If I can't stop the bleeding I'm going to have it removed and try something else.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2014 12:42 AM

Review by opstacy93 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've had it for a year this month and have had quite a bit of sex, and still nothing thank the lord. My periods are usually on for a month, off for two and repeat. My periods are not crazy, no awful pains, no headaches, no weight gain. All these women complaining about this birth control.... Maybe this form just wasn't meant for their bodies. Its turned out to be a wonder for me. Free at the health department, its worth a shot. I recommend it 100% based off of my experience.

October 24, 2014 1:17 PM

Review by Emily_89:

I've been on this form of birth control for about two years. I couldn't be happier with it. In the beginning I would have extremely light periods every couple months. But now I haven't had a period in several months. I believe I had some mood swings for a few weeks in the beginning. I have acne here and there but I don't know if that's from the Nexplanon or not. My sister is also on this birth control and she loves it as well. She said she had extreme mood swings in the beginning but then they leveled out as well.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 11:37 PM

Review by Lydia-nita (taken for less than 1 month):

I got my Nexplanon inserted Sept 2014 and I love it. No mood swings, barely a period in September nor October, no migraines. My only complaint is the irritation at the insertion site. I'd recommend it without a doubt.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate