User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Nexplanon review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Nexplanon to treat Birth Control

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I think this is pretty great but the constant spotting can get in the way of a lot of things and can get really obnoxious and a little weight gain but other than that I think it's cool

January 28, 2015 6:44 PM

Review by Taanya (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

It's very effective against pregnancy but the side effects have been horrible for me. I got it installed in June 2014 after having my baby. In August I noticed 2 patch's of my hair gone and severely thinned out in the front of my hair. I just thought this was due to postpartum hair loss which typically happens 3-4 months after you have a baby. However it is now January 27th 2015 and the hair loss has continued and now has spread to my entire front head around the edges. Also since I have had it, I have had no desire for sex. Nothing gets me aroused at all. My sex drive is nonexistent. I am going to get it removed soon because the side effects are unbearable. I am most upset by my hair loss.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2015 7:53 PM

Review by boomyeahmexi (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been on the Nexplanon for a year and two months now. Last time I got my period was on June for 6 days. No pregnancies. I did spot for a couple of days when I first got it inserted but other than that no complaints. I don't get spotting, more periods I guess I am those lucky ones. I recommend this!

January 25, 2015 7:00 PM

Review by Amor87:

My experience with Nexplanon was horrible and would like to share my experience, although everyone is different and what doesn't work for me might work for you or vice versa. I had the Nexplanon placed 3 months after giving birth. Before that I was happy, high sex drive (always have had high sex drive), regular periods, and overall very long life. After Nexplanon I had non stop bleeding, severe headaches, severe dizziness, severe lightheadedness, extreme fatigue and severe mood swings. I felt like I was going downhill because I felt sick all the time and extreme sadness and depression. I had it removed because I no longer felt like myself and felt like I was making bad memories on what should be my most precious moments with my family.

January 24, 2015 4:08 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've had Nexplanon going on 2 years and have had no issues. I have not had a period since it was put in. Only side effect I have had is my headaches have become stronger than when I didn't have it in. I would recommend this to everyone and plan on having another put in after the 3 years is up.

January 22, 2015 2:11 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've been on Nexplanon for about a year now. I bled constantly the first 9 months along with acne and horrible cramps. Hot flashes, as well. Now my period just doesn't come at all yet I still get the horrible cramps often. I have no sex drive and I feel like my hair/face is always greasy. I haven't gained any weight which is the only plus.

January 19, 2015 5:28 PM

Review by kaitdup:

The idea of this is great. I got mine put in on July 24,14 & taken out Jan 19,15. I get sick with pill birth control & recently moved to Florida so I got it put in. I had no bleeding for 2 months then all of a sudden it never stopped. I was miserable and depressed with always bleeding and never being able to be intimate. I have friends with great experiences but this wasn't the case for me. They put me on birth control pills to help the bleeding it helped until the pills ran out. Ultimately after 2 months of constant bleeding I went in to a different doctor becuase I'm now out of the state I got it put in just for a consultation and she immediately offered to take it out.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2015 12:15 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Hi, I just wanted to share my experience on both Implanon/Nexplanon. I have been on both for a combined 5 1/2 years, I got Implanon inserted in July 09 after having my son and got it removed 4yrs later and got the Nexplanon put in. Being on the Implanon was not that bad, I didn't have a period with it until 5 months before I had it removed, I didn't have weight gain, but it did cause me to not have a sex drive, I was moody, depressed, mad and emotional but it was bearable. Overall I like it and it is 100% effective in preventing pregnancy. Well my experience with Nexplanon was much more different, it was horrible and I wanted it out 5months in but thought I would give it a chance up until I just had it removed 12/30/2014.

January 19, 2015 10:19 AM

Review by Mkegirl2 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have had it for 4 months. I had one period. It makes me nervous not having a period, but it's apparently super effective. I have had no other side effectives. Not having to worry about taking a pill every day is wonderful! Everyone is different, but I definitely suggest it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 17, 2015 6:12 PM

Review by Amss (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My experience with Nexplanon hasn't been the greatest. I got it inserted in August 2014 and had my normal period at the end of that month. It lasted about 10 days and then stopped. I then started back again 3 days later and it lasted a further 3 days. I then didn't start back until the 27th of September 2014 and have had constant bleeding since. I decided to go to the doctors on Jan 6th 2015 because the bleeding was becoming a hassle. She prescribed me Loestrin 20 pills to take to stop the bleeding. I started taking them that day and my period stopped within a week...FOR ONE DAY! My period started back the very next day(15th Jan) and is getting heavier rather than lighter 2 days in (17th Jan). Prolonged bleeding is the ONLY side effect I had.

January 17, 2015 10:28 AM

I've had this birth control for 2 years now. Great form of birth control, never had to use a back up at all. Very convenient. I don't even notice it. Down sides are that I bleed for 3 out of 4 weeks a month and they are heavy. Also I have gained a lot of weight. I would not use this birth control again. Only because the pill seemed to work better for me.

January 16, 2015 7:09 PM

Review by GIJosie (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

If you like to bleed all the time use Nexplanon.

January 15, 2015 9:47 PM

Review by Madiwadi23:

I have had the insertion for about five months and it was good for the first month and a half, forgot it was even there. During the middle of the second month I started spotting enough to have to wear tampons everyday and I'm up to my fifth month and still spotting. I'm cranky and it drives me nuts but other than that it's a good method. Everybody reacts differently.

January 13, 2015 2:54 PM

Review by JessLove (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have to say that Nexplanon from personal experience has been the best birth control and decision I have ever made. I don't have to worry about putting or taking something. It is just in my left arm and don't feel anything. When the Dr first put it on me I was super nervous but it was a short sting. The only symptoms I got was feeling fatigued and migraines. No fun. My period last 3 weeks but it was very light. Now I don't even get my period. Had it for 6 months and I love it!

January 5, 2015 11:44 AM

Review by briteets (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I had Implanon for 3 years and am now into my 2nd year of Nexplanon. I've had major weight gain, about 30 pounds, no acne. For the first year no period and then they became irregular. Same with my second one.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2015 9:12 AM

Review by Ashmash274 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Its a great birth control method. I've been on it for a year, but sometimes I get my period and sometimes I don't. I don't like the fact that it stopped my Period for 3 months & then it came back but for a few weeks. Otherwise, a great birth control method!

January 4, 2015 8:10 PM

Review by Heatherkins18:

The first few months I loved it! Then I started bleeding for weeks then it would stop for a few days and come right back. I always have cramps and feel bloated, I have gained 25lbs! Now I have to be double birth controlled.

January 2, 2015 12:10 PM

Review by vbcgb1225 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I got Nexplanon inserted at my 6 week checkup after having my daughter in July 2014. I have experienced 20lb weight gain since, severe cramps, depression, nonexistent libido and nauseousness. Definitely works as birth control, but isn't worth the side effects.

January 1, 2015 5:54 PM

Review by Mnp:

When I fist got Nexplanon I had my period for a month (heavy) and now only get it every 5ish months that last about a week and half (very light most days). Had it since December 2013. Stress and anxiety increased and so did acne. I had to get prescribed an anxiety medication but I don't have to take it all the time. I personally love it.

December 30, 2014 4:17 PM

Review by Outofoptions (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Injection wasn't painful. Only sore a day or two. Spotting everyday for the first month, no period at all the second month, spotted every day the third month, stopped for a week and spotted for another 3 weeks straight. I've gained 22 lbs, 15 being in the first two months. I was losing baby weight and then it just stopped once I had this inserted. I always feel bloated.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2014 3:35 PM

Review by user223:

I got this inserted 3 years ago, my arm hurt for one day with no bruising, and then I literally forgot about it for the remaining time. No periods ever, and never once pregnant. No weight gain. Most convenient form of birth control ever used, but it may just be the way my body has reacted. Got it reinserted for the next 3 years and got some bruising, but not too bad.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 26, 2014 5:06 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I had spotting for about 2-3 months, and my breast were ridiculously tender and hurt. But after that I had no more spotting and haven't had a period since. I also have not gained any weight (actually lost 10 lbs). Have occasional acne but nothing severe or long lasting. Overall worth it to me. However spotting in he beginning.

December 26, 2014 1:07 AM

Review by GaTx (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've had the Nexplanon for a month now. I was on my cycle when I was implanted-- it stopped the same day. I have noticed it's made me a little more emotional, but I haven't had any issues with acne or weight gain. The problem I'm having is that I've been spotting/ on a very light cycle for about a week and a half. My panties are ruined if I don't wear a liner. I'm trying to wait it out because it hasn't been a full-blown cycle, but I'm not feeling this spotting/light cycle either. My co-worker has it and says my body just has to catch up. We'll see. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

December 23, 2014 6:07 PM

Review by lym (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I know it protects me from having babies but the first month I was spotting every day. Now in my fourth month its the same, spotting every single day. No change in my libido nor my hair is falling, nor have acne. I just hate that I'm bleeding even though my doctor said there might be none. I was expecting more out of this.

December 22, 2014 9:13 PM

Review by sjs1001:

I've had it for about 4 months now. I had it put in at my 6 week checkup after having my son. I was losing a lot of weight before I had it. Then my weight loss just stopped. I've gained so much. My sex life is non existent. I'm constantly feeling depressed. And I have no period, I prefer to have it.

December 21, 2014 9:41 PM