Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Nexplanon review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 201 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Nexplanon to treat Birth Control

Review by Julia S.:

This birth control appealed to me because it's estrogen free, you don't need to remember a daily pill, and it lasts for a long amount of time. I had Nexplanon inserted on 3-13-14. I got my period the next day. Today marks 7 months of constant bleeding. Having said this, I'm sure it's highly effective birth control, but for me it was more so effective because it caused me to not have sex. The first couple weeks I was a little extra emotional, but that stopped quickly. I had no other side effects. I have friends who went on this and stopped having periods all together, so I'm sure my experience was exceptional.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2014 12:29 PM

Review by Taffy10:

I got this on Tuesday, took it out Friday! I have never been so sick on birth control ever. I was sluggish barely able to walk, dizzy, nausea was my best friend like seriously. Three days!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2014 12:30 AM

Review by Cierra Smith (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've had my nexplanon for over a year now, it's very effective against not getting pregnant and that's the best part only. I have 2 periods a month, one light one heavy. I randomly bleed as well as cramp horribly before I start. I've had headaches, nausea, hives, nasal sinus issues, depression, mood swings, weight gain, loss of appetite, peeling skin on my face, dandruff, rash on my arm, constantly itching, loss of sex drive, tiredness and the list continues.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 30, 2014 7:13 AM

Review by babygirl226 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've had Nexplanon for over a year now and I love it! I haven't had a single period and my cramps are gone. Along with constant migraines. I would recommend this birth control to anyone. It's so much easier than taking the pill every day.

September 29, 2014 9:03 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I got Nexplanon August, it's the end of September and I absolutely love it! First the bad things: My arm bruised pretty badly when I first got it, I'm allergic to adhesive and my stitches were butterfly stitches (with the tape) and so I had a pretty bad allergic reaction on my arm. That was not due to the Nexplanon itself. I didnt have my period the first two weeks, and then all I had was spotting. The weird thing is its pretty inconsistent, like sometimes every other day there's spotting. But I really don't mind, no cramps, no acne, no mood swings, I actually lost a little bit of weight without trying to. I just use a panty liner everyday, usually there's nothing but just in case. I'm really happy with it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 26, 2014 10:06 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have had Nexplanon for nearly a year and the only side effect I have ever had was itching at the implant site. I had it implanted in December of '13 and I have still yet to have any spotting or periods. I would definitely get it again.

September 25, 2014 5:33 PM

Review by stylesrenae:

I been on the Nexplanon now 6 yrs first time In 2008 then again in 2011 now on my 3rd one going on 9 yrs, the best birth control ever. No irregular bleeding, my menstrual cycle is like clock work. I know when it is coming never more then 2 days off. It's just one of the best I have had not like the shot. I'm satisfied with it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 22, 2014 11:52 PM

Review by do not get his be smart:

I would like to personally warn anyone considering this format of birth control at first I was very excited the thought of having birth control and not having to take a pill. I had the implant done on a Wednesday by Friday I already had all of the "less than common" symptoms. I broke out in hives I had migraines that lasted all day I was dizzy by Saturday my blood pressure was so high I almost had a heart attack I have no history of surgeries or heart attacks yet there I was in the ER. I had it removed as soon as possible I only had it for 9 days and it was the worst 9 days of my life. I WILL NEVER CHOOSE THIS PATH AGAIN. It should come with a sign labeled might cause death.

September 22, 2014 4:38 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had gotten the Nexplanon in May of this year. The day I got it I started my period, and it lasted a week. Then two weeks later I started bleeding again for another week. I had my period twice a month for the first two months. Then in August I thought I was in the clear because I wasn't bleeding. That changed on Aug 21st, I got my period and this time it lasted three weeks. I couldn't take the irregular bleeding so I got the implant removed on Friday 9/19. I only had it for four months. That was the only issue I had with it. I did find it easier to lose weight. I did start Ortho Cyclen on Sunday, so I'll see how that goes.

September 22, 2014 12:16 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For everyone that's bleeding alot... Try using Nuvaring with the Nexplanon! That was my only complaint but now I love it and am going to continue using both birth controls.

September 22, 2014 1:02 AM

Review by Hey hey booby pain:

I have had Nexplanon for about 2 months now and my spotting just stopped about a week ago. Constant spotting was frustrating but worth the effectiveness against pregnancy. Lately my problem has been extreme breast pain. Standing up even causes them to be sore. For the most part I love Nexplanon but some of the side effects are hard to live with. I recommend it for people who are willing to wait through side effects and see what happens after a few months. If you don't think you can handle certain side effects then don't try it, they're too common in users. I'm going to see how I feel in a couple months and decide whether it's right for me or not!

September 22, 2014 12:35 AM

Review by Tayann (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

This is extremely effective in preventing pregnancy. However the side effects are HORRIBLE. I have been on my period for most of this year. I got this in around the end of February beginning of March about two weeks later I started a full on period. It lasted for about THREE MONTHS, my doctor had to give me a prescription for it to stop. Then it stopped for about a month and started again and hasn't stopped since. That's another TWO MONTHS. I have been on my period for most of this year. This is not to mention the depression and 20 pound weight gain.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 22, 2014 12:12 AM

Review by ashleydaenara:

I got the Nexplanon implant at the beginning of August and in a couple weeks I will have had it for 2 months. I actually love this form of birth control because I can't get into the routine of a pill or Depo shot. There have been a few up and downs though. For the about the first few weeks I was spotting and now I have nonexistent periods. My moods were wacky at first. I do have a little more acne than before but nothing that doesn't disappear within a few days. I'm a lot more tired now. I've experienced loss of appetite. I weighed 127 lbs when I got it and now I weigh 113 lbs. Other than the occasional crying, I'm completely okay with this implant. My sex drive is strong and I'm not pregnant.

September 21, 2014 12:27 AM

Review by leilagh (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Nothing but bliss. I got Nexplanon for birth control as well as to control my cramps. I've had it for almost a year and I regret nothing. The first couple of months I had my regular period though it got lighter and lighter and I haven't bled since. I do have mood swings though not nearly as bad and my cramps have vanished and believe me, mine were awful. Acne is something I had before and it's not better or worse since the implant. Same goes for my hair. It's helped me greatly! Will be getting again when my 3 years is up.

September 19, 2014 6:22 AM

Review by sydney18374926:

The pregnancy protection is great but I'm getting it removed tomorrow. I've had it for about 7 months but it's caused me to have my period for about 6 months. I also almost constantly feel nauseous and I believe it's caused depression symptoms.

September 17, 2014 5:55 PM

Review by C.bjkog:

I got the Nexplanon around 3 months postpartum. I was exclusively breast feeding and figured it would be easier while everything was suppressed from breast feeding. I had a horrible bruise (but who cares?), and low back pain with crampiness (I expected it). I got a period right afterward which was light, but for 2 weeks. That subsided and I thought I was home free! But shortly afterwards I began to get stressed, anxious, irritable, and angry. I thought I might be pregnant, but wasn't. That's when I realized after 4 weeks it's the Nexplanon! I'm getting it out tomorrow. It's so bad that I'm mean to my kids, made my son cry and I can't- just can't be mean mommy anymore. I wish I would have realized sooner it's the Nexplanon.

September 17, 2014 2:56 PM

Review by happyhippie:

I love my Nexplanon. I have had it for a little over a year. I have little to no spotting, maybe twice in the past year but its short and light. My only problem has been acne. I have had acne since I was 13 and have struggled to keep it under control. Two weeks after I first got the implant my chest broke out REALLY bad, worse than it ever had before. I just started putting my prescription on it and it got better. About 7 months went by and I started breaking out really bad around my mouth, chin, and jawline. It hasn't lightened up and my prescription that worked wonderfully for years does nothing: which tells me it is very hormonal- the implant. I'm considering having it removed, but really don't want to just for acne because it works great.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 17, 2014 10:38 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've had it since January of this year. I love it. I've only spotted once. The only thing I don't like is that I gained 10lbs. Other than that, it's convenient for my busy life.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 16, 2014 1:21 PM

Review by Bjones005:

I love Nexplanon. I got it in August 2013 when I was 18 and it's currently September 2014. The week I got it implanted I had my period for a few days and have not had my period since. That's one year with out periods. It's fantastic. I haven't experienced weight gain or moodiness or any other symptoms. I think it's extremely effective.

September 13, 2014 4:55 PM

I got the Nexplanon inserted June 30 2014 a week or two after insertion. I had bleeding for 10-15 days, it stopped for about a month and a half and now I'm spotting every time I'm ready to become intimate with my boyfriend or just random times. I have gained weight and I have felt some nausea. Yes it's very effective against pregnancy because you are constantly either spotting or bleeding unexpectedly. It's annoying I'm getting it removed very soon. It's nothing fun about bleeding all the time. I appreciate a 4-5 day cycle now.

September 12, 2014 2:00 AM

Review by Ella23:

I've had Nexplanon for over a month now, insertion didn't hurt at all just a little uncomfortable for the first 3 days after that you forget it's there. I didn't bruise at all after insertion. I'm not having any side effects so far. The only down side I have experienced is light bleeding/spotting when my period came. I've been bleeding for about 3 weeks now..this is normal but hoping it stops soon.

September 11, 2014 8:15 PM

Review by FutureObGyn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 18 and I have been on Nexplanon for 4 months now. I have light irregular periods and some spotting. I have a small scar on my arm from the application and bandage that peeled off some skin, but I can live with that. It definitely is very effective, it does the job. But I have gained about 20-30 pounds since I have been on it.

September 8, 2014 2:18 PM

Review by Reallyhatethisbc:

Very good in preventing pregnancy. I have had Nexplanon for 18 months. However, it is TERRIBLE for me I have since gained 40 pounds! All within the first 6 months. I was a size 9 when I got this now am about a 12. I am having it removed in two weeks. Mind you that I had a really nice body and now am pushing the scale at 199lbs! I have learned my lesson!

September 7, 2014 10:00 PM

I've had this birth control for about 4 months now. My periods last for like 15 days every month and it's really annoying. But it's very effective when it comes to preventing pregnancy.

September 7, 2014 1:04 PM

Review by Davincigirl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've had Nexplanon for about 4 months now. My first period after getting it was a week late but regular as far as bleeding amount and length, after that I have not had a period in over 2 months which is great and it is very effective as far as me not getting pregnant. After I first had it implanted I had a lot of cystic acne on my jaw and cheeks but that cleared up after about 2 months and hasn't returned. No cramping at all since getting it. But I've gained about 15 pounds which is the only reason I'm thinking of getting it removed. I'm happy with it otherwise. I'm dieting and exercising more to see if I can drop the weight but if not or I keep gaining weight I will be having it removed.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate