User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Nexplanon Review Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 212 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Nexplanon to treat Birth Control

"I have had nexplanon since December 2013, and I've put on 90 pounds, I have had terrible mood swings, more severe anxiety, depression, sleep problems, migraines, super sweaty, abdominal swelling and far worse cramps than without, and my breasts actually grew even bigger which is actually not good... And to top it off, I'm almost constantly on my period. It sucks. I'm not pregnant and that's great, but bleeding constantly isn't my ideal. I'd rather not have sex than use this birth control!"

Alisonr August 24, 2015

"I have had this "chip" for the last 7 months. Of those 7 months I have had a period for 6 months and I don't mean spotting. The one month I did not have my period was when my Dr gave me an extra birth control pill to take daily and it worked but when the pills where done the period came back worse within a few days. This "chip" has made me loose over ten pounds. It has made vary emotional and cry about just little things out of no where. I can not control my emotions and have had such bad head aches and stomach pains its not even funny. I just want this thing out out out. I did not even need birth control. I was told it would get rid of my period for 3 years and I was sold on that. I got opposite of what I was told it would do."

Done with it August 24, 2015

"I have had the Nexplanon for two years and I love it. I started with period only every other month. For some time I did have two months in which I had a period almost two weeks of spotting, it stopped and then i got it again a week later. But that only happened once. I don't feel any mood swings other than what I would have before so Its just my normal me. I did gain weight but it was about a year later and i doubt was due to the birth control because I can lose it when I want. I love this birth control it has worked great for me and I do recommend it. It is safe and easy."

Gabs2c (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2015

"I've had nexplanon for about 6 weeks now. The second week I started to spot and have been every day since then. It's very light not enough for a pad or tampon, but is still annoying. I've still been able to be active with my partner and no worries of a baby. I have also lost two pounds every week since I had it placed, but I'm still at a healthy weight so I'm not complaining. If the light spotting would stop it would be my dream birth control. Overall I would recommend it."

My experience (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2015

"I had nexplanon put in June 2015. I love how effective it is as a birth control but I can't stand the side effects. I'm so emotional, wanting to cry over such small things. I have only had small spotting which is nice but my anxiety levels are up and I do not sleep well. My acne is so bad! Not so much my face but my arms and back! I keep very well hydrated and I exercise regularly, I'm very healthy all around so I know it has to do with the implant. I am experiencing dizziness more lately and I'm sad quite a bit. I will be looking for another form of birth control."

RaeRaeLo August 24, 2015

"I got the nexplanon placed around April because my mirena expelled itself and comparatively this birth control is so much better! With the IUD I had terrible cramps and my first period went on for about a month. When I got the nexplanon put in the pain wasn't too bad but I have only had two periods since and both were less than 10 days. I've lost weight, and after a minor crazy spell I'm back to normal :) apart from feeling a rod in my arm it's a great birth control."

NMG (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 23, 2015

"Got Nexplanon in February 2015 for irregular periods. I have now gotten my period for the third time in 6 weeks. No thanks. Will probably be looking at getting it removed."

I don't know 12 August 23, 2015

"I had my daughter in March 2015 and I've had the nexplanon for about a month now and so far I love it. The first few days were rough, my arm would feel like the muscle strength would randomly disappear sometimes and there was a day where I had a few hours of morning sickness like nausea. Neither of those side effects have lasted, and I am back to feeling like myself and have actually lost weight! I've gone from 149 to 129 in a month! I haven't had any signs of a period yet which is great for me because my periods are terrible. The only other strange symptom has been two cystic acne like pimples at my hair line that wouldn't go away but I just checked and those have disappeared so I am VERY HAPPY with my decision to get the nexplanon!"

QMC2015 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2015

"I wanted this to work out so badly, since it is this is the most effective birth control out there, but, I just couldn't tolerate the side effects. Spotting became unpredictable and lasted for several weeks at a time, mood swings started shortly after I got this in, and I gained a bit of weight (~5 lbs.) The deal breaker was the near complete loss of my sex drive, I didn't want the method of birth control to be "have no desire to touch your husband!" It's been out for a bit longer than a week, and the spotting stopped in a couple days, the desire for my husband came back in just under a week, and my moods have leveled a bit; I feel more like myself again."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 21, 2015

"Everyone is saying they bleed way too much with this birth control, I have had one period in the past three months, I almost thought I was pregnant because of how moody and sick I was getting. I did experience weight gain, a panic attack, and suicidal thoughts. I still have the implant, because it does its job well. I feel pain in the injection site almost constantly. I can feel the device under my skin and it's weird as hell. But at least I'm not pregnant."

NotAMom August 21, 2015

" I have been on this for 2 1/2 years now. I am going to have it removed because I have gained weight using it, my periods are heavier and longer with clots, I have become very moody, anxious and angry at the very slightest thing which I wasn't before. I get very terrible migraines with aura. I spoke to my doctor and she said she does not think these side effects could be due to the nexplanon. I have booked an appointment to have it removed anyway. I will see if this helps. The only good thing it does to me is it is effective in preventing pregnancies"

Anonymous August 21, 2015

"Nexplanon is not a safe birth control. I'm always on my period I will be off of it for a month or maybe more but then ill be on it again for a month, even thought its light and only needs panty liners shit sucks and also my good friends sister passes away recently of a heart attack she was 20 years of age and it has been confirmed Nexplanon was the cause. It is a side effect is to cause blood clots and it was the cause of her death I'm getting it removed asap."

Read thi. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 20, 2015

"Got the nexplanon inserted about a year ago and boy do I regret it... I'm usually a happy person now I'm a wreck stress and all.. first off after giving birth I lost 20lbs after placing the nexplanon I had gained that plus more... damn my family and friends are seeing how I am just letting my self go but I'm not it's this damn birth control I can't help it and yes I've tried to lose weight even went as far as taking diet pills and nothing... I've never took or even thought of taking pills to lose weight but I had no other choice cause dieting and working my butt off isn't doing a thing to me..."

cass30 August 20, 2015

"I had this put on at the beginning of July and have been bleeding ever since! It has made me so emotional and snappy and also caused my skin to become dry and sore! Sounds like a good idea at the time but is definitely not worth all the hassle it causes! Getting it taken out asap and would not recommend to anybody!!"

Meld August 20, 2015

"I was extremely nervous to get nexplanon because all I could find were scary reviews telling horror stories of hair loss, acne, and never ending bleeding, but my doctor assured me all of her patients had loved it. I have had my implant for just over a month now and I couldn't be happier! I've had none of those terrible side effects, if anything I think my face cleared up from it! I had an extremely light period that lasted about 10 days but other than that I've had no side effects. Try it out, it's way better than taking a pill."

Kassauf13 August 19, 2015

"I've had this birth control for about 5 months now I have gained weight, also have bad temper, mood swings ,always tired, headaches, depression but no period. I want to get removed at same time I don't because worried about another pregnancy."

Christina marie sno white August 19, 2015

"I was on Nexplanon for a little over a year. First, I spotted for six months straight but had no other side effects. Then I had no period for six months, and my libido disappeared. Then my libido started to come back along with my period for three weeks, with intense cramping, mood swings, night sweats and swelling lymph glands. I had it out three days ago and have just realized it also caused me to develop melasma (pregnancy mask) on my upper lip. As birth control it was good but I couldn't handle the side effects. If you show a lot of sensitivity to hormonal methods this might not be right for you."

fiverx313 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 19, 2015

"I absolutely love it. I have had it in for several months now. I am working on a full sleeve (tattoos) on my left arm where my Dr wanted to put it (I'm right handed and they usually place it in the opposite arm) but I explained that and asked if I could get tattooed over the area. She didn't recommend it so placed it in my right arm. The first 3 weeks it looked like I got beat all around the insertion site, but it didn't hurt. I haven't had a period, or even any spotting. I get cramps occasionally but not even annoying enough to take ibuprofen. No weight gain (I've actually LOST weight) and the only thing negative I could say is I have a tiny circular scar where it was placed, but it doesn't bother me at all."

KtLee August 19, 2015

"I got the Nexplanon May 2015. The first three weeks I had no issues but now I've been spotting everyday since. Some days it can be heavy but most of the time its light but I still need to use a tampon. I've also noticed being more bloated and gassy all the time as well as being tired. I know I was told I would be spotting for several months on and off but I can't remember a day where I haven't spotted."

Sandyspp August 19, 2015

"I have had this birth control since last October and I have gain A LOT of weight! I was told by my obgyn that I wouldn't gain any weight and that this was the better option. But in my opinion its not. I weighed 125 the day that I got this and here it is not even a year yet and I weight 185 I gained 60 lbs and it is getting worst. It is extremely hard to lose it. I also play sports and things but the birth control makes me very lazy and tired all the time. All I want to do is sleep! I would not recommend this to anyone. My period is so crazy one minute i have one and then I don't have one for about 2 months. This might just be my reaction from my body but I still wouldn't recommend it for anyone."

Anonymous August 19, 2015

"Had nexplanon for about a year and a half. Ive gained about 20 lbs i have had issues with depression no energy short temper. No period no cramps. I am getting it removed because i cant deal with the weight that steadily going up but i have no appetite and i barely make it out of bed some days becuase i am so dead tired"

Ann rawls August 18, 2015

"I got the Nexplanon in July of 2013. The first 1.5 years I loved it! Only 3-4 small bleedings in that time, and everything felt great, no mood swings, etc. After a stressful month (not sure if this has anything to do with it but the timelines definitely coincides) I started having 4-5 days long periods, every 1-2 weeks. The bleedings became more infrequent for a short period of time (again timeline coincides with less stress), after which I started getting the frequent (but short) bleedings again. The last couple of weeks I've also become exceptionally moody, and about everything will make me cry the 1-2 days before the short bleeding occurs. Also I'm exhausted all the time. It was great until it went bad. Getting it removed ASAP."

NexplanonNeverAgain August 18, 2015

"I got it two weeks ago, its wonderful, no weight gain so far. The only thing is I have been depressed for five or six days straight, im always tired, not to mention I snap quick at everything and everybody. My son doesn't desirve a grouchy mother."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2015

"I got it put in early July and after a week i started spotting then bleeding and stop then spot ik its been over a month since i had it but i hate it i spot it all the time i am ready to already get it out i don't recommended it i haven't gained weight yet i did have minor cramps when inserting it they do numb u so u cant feel it"

nincia August 17, 2015

"I got the Nexplanon injected in March 2015, up until 2 weeks ago I was loving it! Ok I got the Depo Shot for 16 years and it was great. But my Obgyn made me stop getting it because of my bone density. In those 16 years I only had maybe 2 or 3 periods and I loved it! Ok now with the Nexplanon I noticed at first I had no spotting or period up to these past 2 weeks and sometimes I bleed lightly or just spot so I'm finding myself having to use tampons, something I was not used to. But when I first noticed some spotting about a month ago, my obgyn gave me some birth control pills and it stopped then, but here I am now worse and I really don't know what to do because the pills won't stop it now. "

Kmansmama (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2015