User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Nexplanon review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 201 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Nexplanon to treat Birth Control

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've had it since January of this year. I love it. I've only spotted once. The only thing I don't like is that I gained 10lbs. Other than that, it's convenient for my busy life.

September 16, 2014 1:21 PM

Review by FutureObGyn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 18 and I have been on Nexplanon for 4 months now. I have light irregular periods and some spotting. I have a small scar on my arm from the application and bandage that peeled off some skin, but I can live with that. It definitely is very effective, it does the job. But I have gained about 20-30 pounds since I have been on it.

September 8, 2014 2:18 PM

Review by Reallyhatethisbc:

Very good in preventing pregnancy. I have had Nexplanon for 18 months. However, it is TERRIBLE for me I have since gained 40 pounds! All within the first 6 months. I was a size 9 when I got this now am about a 12. I am having it removed in two weeks. Mind you that I had a really nice body and now am pushing the scale at 199lbs! I have learned my lesson!

September 7, 2014 10:00 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've had this birth control for about 4 months now. My periods last for like 15 days every month and it's really annoying. But it's very effective when it comes to preventing pregnancy.

September 7, 2014 1:04 PM

Review by Davincigirl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've had Nexplanon for about 4 months now. My first period after getting it was a week late but regular as far as bleeding amount and length, after that I have not had a period in over 2 months which is great and it is very effective as far as me not getting pregnant. After I first had it implanted I had a lot of cystic acne on my jaw and cheeks but that cleared up after about 2 months and hasn't returned. No cramping at all since getting it. But I've gained about 15 pounds which is the only reason I'm thinking of getting it removed. I'm happy with it otherwise. I'm dieting and exercising more to see if I can drop the weight but if not or I keep gaining weight I will be having it removed.

September 7, 2014 8:43 AM

Review by Kelizo:

I was terrified to get this, but made the decision after I could no longer stand being on my birth control pills anymore due to severe migraines and upper lip pigmentation! The process to get this is quick and painless. However, it was very sore and painful the first few days and it did not fully heal, for me, until about a month. I was nervous about the constant bleeding, as a lot of people reported, but only had a period for ten days than nothing since then. No headaches, weight gain, bloating... The only thing is I find I'm more sensitive and moody, but I don't know for sure. That could just be because I moved across the country at the same time! I can feel the rod and have a tiny bit of pain once in a great while, but nothing bad. I recommend trying.

September 5, 2014 2:50 PM

Review by Sarah CB:

I have had Nexplanon since May of 2013, it is now September of 2014 and I am pleased to say it has been a good experience. I haven't gained any weight on Nexplanon. I actually feel like my sex drive has increased. I haven't had issues with acne. I've had a period that hasn't lasted longer than a week and a half and have only one every few months. After reading other reviews I feel extremely lucky. The only thing I have to complain about would be that every now and then if I lay on my arm with the injection site I sometimes experience discomfort but that seems like a small issue and after my third year I plan on getting Nexplanon again. Hope this helps!

September 4, 2014 10:53 PM

Review by la negra (taken for 2 to 5 years):

As far as effectiveness I went through 3 years no babies! Lots of spotting, sometimes long periods maybe 10 days, no mood swings, no depression! Nothing much really! A few breakouts every now and then but mine expired and because my husband and I agreed we just got a new one in!... VERY EFFECTIVE AND I LOVE IT. MY COUSIN ALSO HAS IT AND SHE LOVES IT MORE THAN I DO because she has NO side effects at all.

September 4, 2014 1:18 AM

Review by GKazia:

I had no unpleasant side effects on this medication, bar the cystic acne it caused! Very good in the sense that you don't have to remember to take a pill etc. but unfortunately for me, it caused very bad acne. Once I had it removed, it was approx. 2 weeks before my skin had totally cleared up.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 3, 2014 4:33 AM

I have been on this product for 2 years now. Its very very effective. It is the only form of birth control I've used for two years and no babies. The downfalls are: mood swings a week before period begins (unreasonably sad with no reasons whatsoever), irregular bleeding (no idea when it will come, brown at beginning then heavy), long lasting periods (like a month), and when it was inserted my doctor hit a vital nerve causing me to faint. Ever since the implanted area has nerve damage and can cause my arm to go numb if I hold it in a certain position. I can also feel my nerve damage whenever I'm on my period (maybe the hormone interacting with my nerves).

September 2, 2014 9:26 PM

Review by acekenn84:

I have had Nexplanon since September 2013 after I had my son in August. I did experience bruising at the insertion site I have all the acne and abundance of cravings. I am extremely moody and keep getting into depressive states. When I got the Nexplanon I did not get a period whatsoever once I start getting close to my year in June I got a period that lasted until July. I feel awful my hair is starting to fall out and my face looks like a pizza dough. Going to get this removed immediately.

September 2, 2014 8:41 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I got my nexplanon inserted on July 29th, and it is now September 2nd. For the first two or three weeks I was very happy with it. I do get a bit of acne, and I do get migraines at times but besides that everything was fine. I still was having sex almost everyday. About two weeks ago, when I was due for my period I began spotting and I have not stopped. It isn't very heavy, just light but very annoying. I'm hoping that it will stop soon. Since I've only had it for a little over a month I'm trying to give it about two more months but after teading the reviews if the bleeding does not stop I'm getting it removed and going back to the pill.

September 2, 2014 5:36 PM

Review by Ashlee9:

Have had Nexplanon for 9 months. Insertion left a bruise and the first week was difficult with headaches as my body sorted out the hormones. Overall this has been an effective product. Does the job as a contraceptive. Only get a period every three months, but they are getting heavier each time which worries me. They last about a week. I have gained about ten pounds and depression and anxiety have gotten worse. You really need to weigh the pros and cons before choosing this method.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 2, 2014 2:27 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

It either works for you or it doesn't. It seems like you get mostly all the side effects or just spotting. I have been on Nex for about a month and a half and I started spotting about 10 days ago. It is pretty annoying because I got it for birth control. Now I don't even have sex. I cry a lot now and I'm always hungry, although I haven't gained any weight. I'm waiting for my period to end! So many panty liners!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 1, 2014 7:17 PM

Review by Tsmith181 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had the Nexplanon inserted 6 weeks after having my son, while I was still moderately bleeding from giving birth. I have not stopped bleeding for 11 weeks now. It's frustrating but I keep hoping that when it finally stops it will be regular again. I was on the depo for 2 years and it did the same thing. 2 months of bleeding and then no period for the remainder of the time I used it. Definitely going to talk to Doc about it at my appt next week.

August 28, 2014 10:22 PM

Review by hailee (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I chose Nexplanon because I have never been able to remember the pill. After inserting Nexplanon I bled constantly for six months. I have had Nexplanon in for a little less then two years and still bleed all time. Every time my husband and I are intimate I start my cycle that has been going on for two years. It is effective as a birth control but the bleeding in annoying and get expensive when you are always buying feminine products.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2014 10:34 PM

Review by WooIsZoey:

Got this in March it's now end of August. It does a good job of birth control because I've had unprotected sex over 10x with this and I'm not pregnant. but its so annoying because I spot for 3 weeks, that's way too long. It's stressful and I hate it. I gained 10 pounds, I'm only keeping it for the birth control and because it regulates my addictive sexual activity.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2014 10:03 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had my Nexplanon inserted a little bit under 4 months ago and have had a few ups and downs with my experience. When I first got it, I had a normal period and then didn't get another period for 7 weeks. When I did get my period, I bled for 14 days (which seems to be pretty short compared to a lot of the reviews). Again, I waited another 6 weeks until I got another period and then had bleeding for a little less than 2 weeks. I haven't experienced any weight gain on Nexplanon although I exercise pretty regularly. Before getting Nexplanon, I never broke out and rarely had greasy skin/hair, but after getting it inserted, I get occasional pimples and my skin and hair get extremely greasy throughout the day.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 22, 2014 6:01 PM

Review by Nikki001:

I got Nexplanon inserted on 4/4/14. I've had it for a little over four months now & have experienced minimal problems. However, I get migraine headaches that last the entire day, I'm very moody/emotional, it made depression so much worse, the implant site hurts all the time, I bleed whenever I get aroused, and I hate having the rod inside me. Those are however somewhat manageable side effects, but because I'm sure I could find something better I'm getting it removed in 2 days.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2014 2:53 AM

Review by NotReadyYet0657:

I have had Nexplanon for 2 years now and have absolutely loved it, super effective. When I first got it, I had random periods for about 3 months. No weight gain, but I do get cravings when it should be my time of the month. Up until a month and a half ago I hadn't had a period since those first three and now all of the sudden I'm having a never ending one. I have been on my period for over a month and a half, Some days I'm on it, some days I'm not. I've thought about consulting a doctor but after reading reviews this seems to be normal. I don't think I'll get it removed early just because it's so effective.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 19, 2014 1:10 AM

Review by blondii (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I chose to change from Yaz to Nexplanon, because I wanted something new and easy. I had normal cycles until I started the implant. I bled for 30 days then stop for about a week. My ovaries hurt, my breasts hurt, I have gained about 15 pounds in 2 months, constant headaches and absolutely no sex drive, even cuddling and knowing what he wants next is dreadful. Do not get it. I want this out. Obviously it does its job with no babies because you bleed to often.

August 16, 2014 12:44 AM

Review by Emmmmm:

I am 18 now and I've had Nexplanon for a year now. The insertion was painful of course -bruised. For the first 4 months I bled every day but since then I rarely bleed. No acne, no weight gain. I get headaches at times, and pretty emotional most of the time. As for birth control, it is fantastic!

August 15, 2014 11:04 AM

Review by TMo1991:

I have been on it for 2 years now. The point of it is to not have babies. No babies here. Yes the 1st six months I would get headaches and was really moody. The only problem now is I spot for three weeks (somedays worse than others) but then no period/spotting for two months. But I will deal with it because doing it's overall job.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 15, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by mdcali:

Nexplanon does its job. I can have worry free sex. The only thing is that my periods are sometimes light and sometimes heavy. Sometimes they go away and sometimes they show up unexpected. I also feel somewhat depressed. Not sure if its Nexplanon or not. I've had Nexplanont for about 2 months now, but despite the side effects its the most effective birth control I've ever used and I do not plan on taking it out.

August 11, 2014 12:29 PM

Review by KC824 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I LOVE IT! Can't rave enough about it. No mood swings, no strong appetite, GREAT SEX DRIVE. Super quick and painless to get put in, lasts 3 years! I have had it in for 10 months now and have not had ONE period. I also LOST weight on it. Before when I was bouncing from pill to pill, my weight would fluctuate and no amounts of the gym would ever help... now I am doing my same regimen at the gym with results (not saying this is because of the pill) but my appetite is not as STRONG as it was on the pill. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.

August 8, 2014 12:46 PM