User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Nexplanon Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 233 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Nexplanon to treat Birth Control

"I got the insert about a month ago after a friend recommended it. Everything was fine for the first week and a half then I started getting migraines. I have a pretty high pain tolerance so it shocked me when I couldn't function because of a headache. Not thinking anything of it, the head aches began to happen more and more often now I get them everyday. It's gotten to a point where pain medications won't work and I have to sleep the pain off. Not only that but I have been having crazy mood swings and depressive episodes. As well as I'm gaining weight and my face is breaking out. I am not a happy camper when it comes to Nexplanon I'd much rather use condoms or become a teen mom then to keep this implant in my arm . I do not recommend this"

donotgetnexplanon1 May 31, 2016

"I got the implant 3/31/16, first period came as normal but instead of my normal 4 days it was 10. My next period started 4 days before it normally would have, and hasn't stopped yet. Mostly spotting, but it's all been about black. I thought that meant it was old blood lining, but obviously my uterus must be larger than myself, or so it seems! I want to cut the damn thing out of my arm myself. If I had any idea my period was going to be like this, I would have kept the 4 day and just used condoms! Now, I just get nothing! Not happy!"

Sah1707 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2016

"Positive: Never got pregnant. Spotting when first inserted but then no periods for ~2 years. After their return, shorter and lighter. Don't have to remember to take it every day. Negative: Increased appetite. Difficult to lose weight again. 30lbs up from pre-birth control. PMS before period. Before BC no noticeable change in mood. Considerably lower sex drive. Libido and lubrication are gone."

Jess4654 May 31, 2016

"I had the Nexplanon implant inserted on May 30th, 2013. My husband works abroad so we didn't want to risk a pregnancy when we weren't living together all the time. The insertion was pain free and I had minimal bruising. The entire 3 years I had very few bleeds, if any. That's about where the good parts of Nexplanon end for me. It was only after the implants removal three weeks ago that I realise how badly it affected me the entire time. I had severe mood swings, depression and anxiety, and at the time didn't chalk it up to the fact I had the implant. Since its removal, my family have seen a dramatic difference in me."

HP1991 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 30, 2016

"I hate it I am been bleeding on it"

amber234 May 30, 2016

"I have had this for a full year now. Up until November my face was clear. Now I get crazy breakouts no matter what I do.I have not gained any weight but I never experience weight gain with any BC. I have however noticed about a month ago now a huge decrease in my sex drive. I never mentioned it to my husband but he said something to me. I literally have to make myself have sex and that has never been an issue before."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 30, 2016

"I got nexaplanon 2 months ago and have been bleeding since then. The first few weeks were great, I got this so Id stop having such heavy, cramping and painful periods. In the beginning the bleeding was minimal, and I had no cramping or pain! And my acne cleared up. But boom! a month later the continuous bleeding got heavier and I have cramps and have to take midol 24/7. Also my acne came back worse than I've ever had it... Just in time for prom:/ my boobs grew 2 sizes but I haven't gained noticeable weight anywhere else. I don't know If I should get it removed pronto, or wait 4 months for my body to adapt, but if I read these reviews before I would've never gotten it. Play it safe... Get something else."

Idk what to do (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2016

"I had this birth control in since right after I gave birth. I was terrified of them, but I didn't want to get pregnant again yet. The first while was awful; mood swings, severe headaches, the works. BUT...after all of that, it got settled down. I have been on it for the whole first round and when it expired I got another. With it, I feel more balanced, more calm, like for the first time I can think clearly. My periods are lighter, and it gives me a peace of mind, lIke i never have anxiety anymore. I have gained about 10-20 lbs on it in the past 4-5 years, occasionally have acne if super stressed, but it has been a blessing for me overall not having anxiety or heavy periods."

BMAMA25 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 29, 2016

"I've had the implant in for 7 months. It is awful. My depression/anxiety has been all over the place. I started spotting after 6 weeks. I have been spotting/full on bleeding ever since. I was told that only 10% of users have this problem but the more I talk to the people I know, that's an extremely low percentage comparatively. I'm tired ALL THE TIME. I already have depression and anxiety and this is most certainly not helping. I have endometriosis so I need to be on birth control but this just isn't worth it."

Most Unhappy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 28, 2016

"I love the nextplanon so far. My arm was a little sore after it was placed in, but I expected that. No symptoms besides a few minor headaches and some dizziness. My periods seemed to have completely stopped, which is nice but I've heard that symptoms take longer to show in some people so I'm just going to have to wait and see but so far everything has been great. It's nice not having to worry about taking something daily."

Sugarbear18464 (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2016

"My experience during the nexplon is great not a pregnancy yet. My only issue is it causes me too much bleeding. I get my periods from every other week up to 1 month up to 3 month . And it ruins My sex life"

P124 May 27, 2016

"I have had Nexplanon for a week now. I haven't gotten a period, but I often get cramps. I switched from Depo. I am hoping that my body is just getting use to it and the cramping will stop. Other than that I have not had a problem so far. I will do a review again in a month."

Nik77 May 27, 2016

"I got the implant back in Feb this year , a few days after Having a baby .well I look pregnant again .I'm not happy with gaining weight"

No deal May 27, 2016

"I have had this in for a little over a year and I hate it I have gained at least 20 lbs my hubs is always telling me that my mood had chances and I almost never want sex anymore. I don't feel myself ever. I'm getting it taken out as I type this. I always tell my friends I have it and I let them know that as of now it has done its job in holding off babies but other than that it sucks. Ps according to my dr weight gain isn't a side effect I'm calling bs because everyone I know that has tried it says otherwise."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 26, 2016

"I got the Nexplanon implant on April 30, 2016 with no pain at all. The next week I begin to cry about everything, I was so sad. I never have problems with depression before the Nexplanon. I started blowing up about everything and my cycle hasn't stop. It's very light but still I want it to end. My Dr. wanted me to keep it for 4 months and I'm thinking about getting it removed. I'm 36 and this is my first time being on any type of birth control. And this experience has been awful."

Monica2126 May 26, 2016

"I got the nexplanon back in August 2015. The insertion didn't hurt at all but it bruised really badly. The bruising went away after a few days and now the only way I know it's there is I can feel it in my arm. I really haven't noticed any side effects I get breakouts but I got those before I got the nexplanon so I don't think it's causing them and I haven't gained any weight. I get a very light period for 5-7 days about every 2-3 months or so and I do get cramping my first day but nothing a few aleve doesn't fix. Overall I'm happy with it so far."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2016

"I am 20 years old and have had the Nexplanon in my arm for 2 years.The insertion itself wasn't bad, just a little sting. I didn't have any bruising and the rod is still able to be felt in my arm.I first experienced a little acne and a little weight gain but nothing major. Now having the rod in my arm for 2 years, I have experienced major anxiety, depression, and mood swings.As most other young adults, working parttime and going to school parttime can cause a lot a stress on a person.. at first I thought it was normal and every other person was experiencing the same stress as me.. It kept getting worse. My boyfriend of 3 years began to notice my changes. I have became completely depressed. I am now looking into getting my rod removed ASAP"

jenn0013 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 25, 2016

"I have had such a horrible experience with this birth control. My anxiety has really spiked as well as depression. I cry for little things and my emotions are all over the place. My face is turning into this blob of break outs that I can't even get control with facial treatments. I have been on my period for months until I was given a birth control pill to regulate it. It has suddenly stopped working as effectively as before and I am spotting every other day. I don't even feel comfortable in my own skin anymore. I really liked the idea of the implant, it was an option that I thought was convenient to me and less risky like missing a pill or the condom breaking (like it did before), however, I am starting to feel that the cons outweigh pros."

Anonymous May 25, 2016

"Got this back in February. Since then, I have been bleeding every single day. I feel sick constantly as well as nauseous and light headed. I even ended up contracting MRSA. I have gained about 15 pounds. Mood swings are horrible and I am constantly getting upset over stupid things. Anxiety is off of the roof. Depressed. I'm in the military, and this has honestly been ruining my career."

BadChoices (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2016

"I got the implant almost a year ago. Since I had one period which lasted about a month or month-and-a-half. I also gained 60 pounds. Family it wasn't until my family started noticing my weight going up and talking about it and two of my relatives mentioned it could be due to the next plan on . It has also affected my marriage due ti the weight gain. I feel tired lazy sluggish all the time. My weight gain started pretty quickly within a month-and-a-half I had already gained 42 pounds."

Janette407 May 25, 2016

"I have tried every bc out there and my body has rejected them all. Even the IUDs dislodged themselves within three days. got the nexplanon about a month and a half ago and I have had very unstable mood swings. I'm a hardcore fitness person so my body fat was at 10% when I got this and it's made me gain 15lbs. My bleeding won't stop been two weeks and my cramps have become worse and lasted a whole week. Worst experience with birth control."

Helpful13 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2016

"I got nexplanon at the beginning of Mach. I was due to get my period about a week later, and I ended up getting it 2 days after insertion. I was worried that it would last for a long time like other reviewers stated, but it lasted about as long as my typical period would last (about 6 days) and was very light. I did have bad cramping starting two days after it was inserted, but it only lasted two days and I am assuming it was my body adjusting to the new medication that was being released in my body. Since then, I got a light period in April that was slightly shorter and I've had nothing since! I haven't had any cramping or spotting since the first week and I recommend it to all my friends."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2016

"I had this put in back in December. Since then, I had a three month long period, a week break, three weeks on and a week off back and forth and I'm at my breaking point. My anxiety is worse than ever and my depression I thought I had been cured of is slowly getting worse and worse. I've gained 30+ pounds and I'm miserable. I can't have sex and it's heavily effecting my marriage, not to mention the constant mood swings and the general emotional apocalypse that is Nexplanon. But hey, we're not pregnant."

Whale of a Woman (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 24, 2016

"I've only had this nexplanon implant for a week now, but so far my fave has started clearing up. I used to have really irregular periods and rarely got them but like once every 2 months. I actually lost weight in the week I've had it. I have had some intense mood swings. but so far it's worth it."

jfeld8879 May 23, 2016

"I've never been on birth control and I have migraines with aura, so I was a bit limited to Mirena or Nexplanon since I wasn't about the pill life. Tried to get Mirena but after 2 failed attempts because my cervix is apparently a steel clamp, I went with the Nexplanon. I love it! The insertion was easy breezy, and my side effects are really limited to a little bit of acne, but it should be noted that I had a pretty good period of acne as an adolescent and took Accutane for it. I have changed up my facial routine and this has helped. I have not gained any weight and haven't noticed any change to my appetite, but I'm a pretty regimented person when it comes to my eating and exercise. Best part for me, no migraines, only manageable headaches!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2016