User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Nexplanon Review Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 212 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Nexplanon to treat Birth Control

"I decided to try this implant soon after giving birth to my first child. I had it put in June 6th of this year. At first I loved it. Didn't notice any strange side effects for the first few weeks. Then I started to have headaches, nausea, dizziness, loss of appetite, and significant hair loss. My periods have been light and spotty from the beginning but now I've been having constant bleeding going on three weeks now. I'm also experiencing severe joint pain in my hips, knees and shoulders along with muscle aches. I feel like an old woman when I get out of bed in the morning and I'm only 29. I've also gained 7lbs in a month with no change in my diet or exercise routine. I'm not at all impressed with it and will be having it removed very soon!"

Graciebug August 3, 2015

"My doctor didn't even tell me the side effects. I smoke and it says to quit, he didn't tell me. And I am in pain. I got in March, 2015 It's now August,2015 and I do not have a partner at all but, when I did it felt like the worst pain ever. I've had the inflamed uterus thing I just got over it. I thought my underwear was too tight because I've had stinging, pinching pain at the top of my thigh crease to my ankle for a while now. I'm like a highly bipolar mad woman on steroids. I'm bipolar as it is but, this is a level that I have never been on not even while I was pregnant. I was 140lbs now I'm 165lbs! 25lbs! I'm definitely going to a different doc to have it removed. "

mad.mom.of.one! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 3, 2015

"Hi I got my nexplanon when I turned 18 which was around August my birthday and when I first got this thing in my arm I was bleeding for about a good 6 months and I noticed that my anger had gotten really bad . I noticed when it was really bad when my husband forget to get the rice for my chipotle and I completely lost it. I had the same nexplanon scene I was in high school and I'm 21 now I will be 22 next week August 6 . After while like I said before I was bleeding for about a year and it gotten so bad that I would have to leave work and go home and go take a shower and back to work . After a while the bleeding stop and I only have a period for about 2 weeks . I'm getting it again"

Nykia August 2, 2015

"I got mine in February the first 3 months were just like my regular period I bleed for 7 instead of 5, now it's July 30,2015 and I've been bleeding since June 24,2015im miserable I can't go to the pool or the beach, or enjoy simple thing with out having to worry about staining my clothes or wearing a pad, it's very frustrating I'm going to talk to my doctor about taking it out"

EvilMindy July 31, 2015

"The doctor put mine in on Jan 17th 2015. I have had nothing but periods every two weeks. I've gained weight like crazy. My mood swings are horrible. I'm always down and out. I have not changed my eating habits. I'm calling my doctor today to get it removed. I'm going to get my insides burned out because I have my three kids and I don't want anymore babies."

Jazmin hummel July 31, 2015

"I like it.. ok, for the first 4 months my bleeding was non stop and horrible headaches but I went to my doctor and she wrote me a prescription and told me to take the birth control pill also for 1 month straight to control the bleeding and it worked.. I haven't really had a period since then.. and in Nov it will be 1 year with me having it in.. no weight gain and if so it's me because I love to eat.. lol.. but no other side effects for me!!! If everything stays this way I will probably get it in again after my 3 years is up.."

Lee H. July 31, 2015

"I had this birth control for a year back when it was "Implabon" and I loved it. No period or cramps or weight gain. Then I got it again a few years later and I've had a period since February, (its now august), and I'm now going through a pad every two hours, passing 15-20 blood clots a day. My doctor keeps asking me to wait and see if it regulates but I can't hold out much longer."

anon41298 July 31, 2015

"After two years of Depo-Provera shots, I decided to go a little more long term with my BC. On the shot my periods had all but disappeared; I'd get very minimal spotting for a single day out of two months. Since Nexplanon uses the same type of hormone, I incorrectly assumed that my cycle would stay the same. About four months after the insertion, I'm getting a full duration period every two weeks, like clockwork, and my PMS symptoms (irritability, lack of appetite, cramping and diarrhea) are back with a vengeance each time. My doctor wants me to hold out another few months to see if I stabilize. We'll see, I guess. On the positive side, it's effective at preventing pregnancy."

Not again! (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2015

"Well this was my first experience with any birth control and I am not a fan. I feel bloated, stomach feels weird, back cramps, cystic acne. And the worst part would be the mood swings. I can get so angry and frustrated and little things . I get depressed but not in a kind of sad way but in a hopeless will anything ever change, life is messed up. It's really hard. I didn't gain weight but lost 15 pounds and I only weighed 125 before hand. I have had it for about three months, getting it removed Monday. My arm is still sore from the implant but that's not a huge deal to me. Wouldn't really recommend it."

Wyoming girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2015

"First two months on this implant were great! No pain with insertion, normal periods (maybe one day longer total), slight breast tenderness, no noticeable change in sex drive/weight/attitude. But that's were my good review ends, sadly. 4 days after my second period I started bleeding heavily. This has lasted for 3+ weeks, and I got it removed yesterday bc I cannot deal with it anymore. Since the bleeding started I broke out, have been increasingly up then down, on the verge of tears most days, and barely feeling sexual (probably due to the fact I'm bleeding). NP at planned parenthood has said lots of women have gotten this removed because of bleeding that lasts for weeks, and that it may take me a few MORE weeks to stop."

21y.o with history of bleeding (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2015

"Ok so I've had nexplanon for 17 months, almost a year and a half. Since getting it put in I have gained roughly 25 pounds. I gained up to 30 pounds 4 months after getting it in. My weight will fluctuate about 5 pounds. I have dieted and exercised and will lose a few pounds but then it goes right back up. Also, my acne has gotten worst! It used to be just on my chin now it radiates up my cheeks too. I have gotten acne scars and stretch marks, bad stretch marks from gaining the weight and the acne. I also bleed everytime after having sex. My periods were nonexistent at first then spotting a lot, now I spot about everyday but not enough for a pad or tampon. I gave this bc a 5 is because I have not gotten pregnant."

Changed my life!!!! July 29, 2015

"I LOVE it!!! Yes had a period that lasted 4 months but was very light so can't complain about that. Then after 4 months didn't have a period since. I've has this for 2 years now. Never gained weight either! I do notice I get moody a little easier and once in awhile my breast are sore. I love the fact I don't have to remember to take a pill everyday! Getting it put in was easy and I'm sure getting it out is easy as well."

Lakanyavong (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 28, 2015

"I got the arm insert because I have had bad experiences with estrogen based pills on the past and since it uses a different hormone and has little chance of adverse reactions I felt good about the decision. However I seemed to be part of the 3rd of the population that had side effects. I had a little over 3 months and it was miserable!! 5 pounds in the first week and over 15 since, not to mention the awful mood swings, I have never had a history of depression but while on it I would randomly feel miserable, like the hopeless kind of depression, I broke out and just generally wanted to crawl out of my skin, I had it removed yesterday, felt the same as going in and I'm hopeful my body will return to normal with time."

Maddy505 July 28, 2015

"I hate it so much! I've had it for a year now I was really into track and I'm a VEGAN. I take care of my body. I've been at a healthy weight most of my life but after getting this bar I've gained 45lb and the only thing that has changed in my routine is this birth control. I'm getting it removed ASAP. My doctor kept telling me let my body adjust to it after 9 months I waited 12! My doctor keeps trying to blame me for the weight gain but I eat between 900-1200cal a day and it's mostly vegetables or tofu!"

Marcelia (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 28, 2015

"I have had the implant for 3 months and I hate it. The first month I bleed for 10 days heavy like a period, and then started the next period 20 days later. Everytime me and my baby's father had sex I'd bleed for two to three days and if I got upset I'd bleed. The next month I had a period 15 days apart, and when we had sex or if I got upset the same thing. This month the same. I find myself having to wear a pad or liner most days. The hate it and plan on having it removed asap. My sister who has the it also has the same problem. I feel like I'm bleeding constantly and she has the same complaint, we are both getting it removed."

Ang1 July 28, 2015

"I love it! I'm too forgetful for the pill. I actually all together stopped getting my period. I had a regular period prior to getting it, but due to my daily medication, the side effect was no period. I do still get the mild cramps, aches and pains....but I really can't Complain. Downside....I've gained 35 pounds. I've had it for 3 years in Dec. Other than that it is wonderful!!!!!!!"

Mirriah77777 July 27, 2015

"I have had Nexplanon in for almost three years, and will be getting it taken out in Nov. I decided to get this after my son was born. I have never used any type of birth control (except for a condom). It has been a wonder! I have not had a period while on this. Which is awesome for me since I had very bad cramps during that time. The only downside to Nexplanon for me is the fact that I would get headaches lasting for two days. Other than that I would get it put in again."

Mrs. LeeLee (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2015

"I DO NOT RECOMMEND! I am going in today (7/27) just over three months later (MID APRIL INSERT) TO HAVE IT REMOVED. I have sebhoratic dermatitis (implant did not cause it, I had it before) but the implant made it so much worse. Normally, it is not so bad in the summer (worse in the winter) but this has made it unbearable and worse than ever (whole scalp, not patches, HAIR FALLING OUT). Additionally, my acne got worse and did not improve. I got several very deep cystic pimples on my back (Never, ever had pimples on my back). Chin acne out of control. Weight did not fluctuate or change (I eat healthy and workout 4 days/week). I am going on Ortho Tri Cylclen for my acne now..if you suffer from acne, go on OTC... it suppresses testosterone"

Sending you Love and Luck July 27, 2015

"I got the nexplanon implanted a few months after I had my baby (2 years ago)..I loved it at first. I had zero side effects. My periods were normal. And I didn't have to remember to take it every day. I do not recommend this but I did have sex without a condom or the POM with my fiance all the time and never got pregnant. But now, two years into it and I'm starting to break out like crazy. And my periods last 2 months with only a day break in the middle. It's getting out of hand. So I think Im going to stick it out for the last year and then get on the pill. Unless it gets much worse before the last year is up"

Kay0000000009 July 27, 2015

"I hate this so much. Although I had no pms symptoms, light spotting instead of a period, and never got pregnant once. This is still the WORST birth control I've ever been on. I used to have long, soft, smooth hair and because of this shit my hair is a grease pit. Even if i just got out of the shower it looks like I haven't showered in years. It's absolutely disgusting!!! I've been off of this for 7 almost 8 months and my hair is still profusely greasy, I can't stand it. I'll never go back to this birth control."

lisantonia (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 27, 2015

"Can not stand this b.c. I've had for over a year now, and at first I had no bleeding, no weight gain, now I'm gaining weight like crazy, and have been on period for around 2 months, and unlike most people it's a full blown period, with cramps! It seems that everytime I actually can have sex, we do it once and the bleeding starts again. Can't wait to get it taken out!"

anoncomment5 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 26, 2015

"So I got nexplanon put in on March 3nd 2015. I didn't have any side effects until I started bleeding on March 21st. I have bled heavy for 6 months straight since March 21st and it doesn't seem like its stopping any time soon. I have felt sad and I get mad at everything. I'm most definitely getting it out soon. It's definitely not worth it."

KT00716 July 26, 2015

"I have had the implant for a little over a year and a half. I absolutely loved it, until recently. I LOVE not having a period, I rarely had occasional bleeding. However, I now have a boyfriend, and after each time I have sex I get my period. I have had three periods this month. I am debating getting it removed and going back to the pill, sadly. I am curious if anyone else has had this happen."

guitrgrl (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 25, 2015

"I finally got Nexplanon removed yesterday and was so happy. I thought this was going to regulate my periods but I only had 1 out of the 6 months. I had discomfort in the arm that it was in whenever I lifted something heavy and when I checked my blood pressure. I found out from my primary Dr that I was 20% more likely to not have a period, have higher cholesterol and gain weight while on Nexplanon. My blood pressure is higher now and now I'm going to start on the pill again. I'm just so happy it's out!"

Happytucson July 25, 2015

"I have had terrible acne come up on my back, as well as weight gain. Probably close to 30 pounds since getting this in December of 2014. No period since, and I am always hungry. I originally got it for period pains and I have had no cramping since."

al2015 July 25, 2015