Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Nexplanon review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 193 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Nexplanon to treat Birth Control

Review by Amanda oz:

I got the nexplanon implant about a month ago. So far I am satisfied. Had nausea the first couple weeks and I get occasional very light spotting. Have not noticed a change in appetite, if anything it has decreased.

April 27, 2015 6:43 PM

Review by CorpsmanUp (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I just got mine 2/12/2015 and I had quite a bit of bruising but nothing to worry about. No issues to start with. So far I have no period, acne, weight gain, mood, or sex drive issues. My only issue so far is itchiness. I haven't read this on any of the other reviews but I also have not read every single one. I hope this stops but I guess it's better than some of the other issues.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2015 9:22 PM

Review by Lynnii:

I just hit my two year mark with Nexplanon this month. The first year was awesome! I loved it, I told everyone it was the greatest idea. Now two years later...I have gained over 30lbs and I have not had any changes in my lifestyle. No matter how hard I work out or how strict my diet is I can't even lose a pound!! On top of that, I have zero libido...ZERO! No urge what so ever to have sex, ever! It's so frustrating seeing as how I am in a serious relationship and have been for several years. More recently (6-8 months) I get unbelievably depressed and have had suicidal thoughts around the time my period should start. When my period does come it's never on time and it's never ending! 12 days sometimes!!! I am so sick of this and romoving it!

April 25, 2015 5:07 PM

Review by Farmer's Wife:

I got Nexplanon put in in December and so far I love it. I have only had one period since I had it put in and it lasted about 7 days. I've also not had any of the other side effects some people have had such as weight gain.

April 24, 2015 5:29 PM

Review by rm02 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've had the Nexplanon for 2 years. I had my period for a couple months and then nothing since. No cramping or spotting. I do have close to zero libido which I actually don't mind but obviously may be an issue for others. Overall I'm satisfied with it.

April 23, 2015 10:20 PM

Review by JaaayP (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I'm updating since my last post. I got my period and it was probably the 3rd day that it was very heavy. It's been about 8 days now and I'm still spotting. I'm so confused and hoping this won't go on for long because it's honestly ruining my sex life.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2015 6:31 AM

Review by Jwall3:

I have had Nexplanon for a year this coming May. I was on my period for 6 months straight and then it disappeared completely! This has given me a great deal of appetite changes. For weeks at a time I will either be extremely nauseous and not hungry at all, or very hungry all the time. Has also caused weight gain, & mood swings.

April 22, 2015 4:47 PM

Review by anananon:

My experience has been mirrored by another recent poster; I got mine I mid-November 2014. I had two very light periods and then mid-January 2015, I started a period that hasn't stopped for more than 18 hours. I've been spotting for more than three months straight! I can still work out, I drink plenty of water and eat good food, and the cramps have only been bad once or twice (after a nap I was ok). I think staying hydrated and eating a diet rich in protein will help some of the symptoms others experience. I've lost about 15 lbs (neither hindered or helped by the device), been a little moody and had a very mild increase in acne.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2015 11:46 AM

Review by Aq28 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I got the Nexplanon insterted on Jan, 22, 2015. (Fast, painless, bruise smaller than a dime). Around February 15, I had my normal, 4 day period but experienced extremely light spotting on and off for the next 4-5 weeks . (It was so light I didnt need a panty liner and an Ibuprofen would stop it temporarily for intimacy). It is now late April (same year, 2015) and it seems as though my body is back to how it was pre-insertion. Other than the initial spotting, I have not experienced any other side effects.

April 21, 2015 6:34 PM

Review by babygirl8605:

I got Nexplanon in August of 2014. All around its effective. My only issues are with occasional nausea, increased appetite and weight gain and horrible headaches. I am a little worried about the fact that I have zero libido and no desire to be intimate with my husband. I can deal with the rest but that's a little nerve wracking. And it's really annoying because he reminds me of it every day. Anyone else have this problem?

April 19, 2015 7:51 PM

Review by Tesmcole:

I got the nexpanon inserted a month after giving birth, during that month I lost all my baby weight. After that I gained it all back and then some, I've worked out and watched my portions but nothing has helped. I don't have a period but I also breastfeed so it could be due to that. The only good thing about the birth control is that it works. It has also caused terrible depression and mood swings.

April 18, 2015 1:50 AM

Review by JaaayP:

I've had the Nexplanon since March 31, 2015 and so far so good. The only issue is that I was supposed to get my period April 13 but I never got it so I figured the birth control changed my cycle but then on the 16th I had a little spotting so I thought my period was coming either the same day or the next day, but it's the next day since the spotting and I haven't got my period. I'm not sure what's going on if I'm going to get my period or not. No other side effects except in the beginning I got more emotional than I usually am but I'm perfectly fine now.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2015 6:04 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I like it, but my periods are now 2 weeks long. Not used to it and its annoyying.

April 17, 2015 4:41 AM

Review by Busymom 33:

having the nexplanon put into my arm was virtually pain free. I did have the bruising and tenderness around the injection site. No symptoms for the first month. Maybe a headache here and there. I have started bleeding though and it's been every day for 9 days now. It's not enough to be a full blown period but I have had painful cramping the first 5 days, more than with my normal period. I am optimistic tho and hope I will eventually have no period.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2015 4:58 PM

Review by Kattease:

I found my appetite is decreased, no skin problems, no lack of sexual desire, no babies :) haha, it's great for me!

April 16, 2015 12:41 PM

Review by Aubbles (taken for less than 1 month):

I recently had the implant put in and would like to share my first thoughts; I plan to do an update in 3-6 months. The initial pain of having the implant inserted was mild - I would rate it even less painful than a shot. Your arm will be sore for a few days and there will be bruising, but nothing to get excited about. It has now been 2 weeks and I can't even tell that it is there except when I feel for the implant on purpose. My doctor warned of immediate and persistent bleeding/spotting, but I haven't experienced that so far. I've been losing weight for the past few months (on purpose) and haven't noticed a difference since the implant. No major issues with acne. Everybody is different, but don't let the negative reviews scare you!

April 15, 2015 9:17 AM

Review by LunaCordero (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I got my Nexplanon inserted in June 2014, I got my period the month after but haven't gotten it ever since. I haven't gotten pregnant either. I'm very satisfied except for the fact that my face has been breaking out so much and gained so much weight.

April 12, 2015 2:02 AM

My experience has been horrible. I got Nexplanon 6 weeks after giving birth. I had gotten pregnant while I was on the pill so I wanted to try something different. I've been bleeding for three and a half months straight. Severe acne and mood swings. I've been feeling really depressed for no reason. I've gained 15 pounds I can't seem to lose. And this last month I have been having horrible flu like symptoms. It feels like it's taking over my life. I'm getting it out this month.

April 8, 2015 1:04 AM

Review by Scorpio1988:

No babies....No periods..... but the headaches can be overwhelming... Sometimes my head hurts so bad all I can do is laying around.... Weight gain & hair loss

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 7, 2015 1:04 AM

Review by LynC21 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I love love love Nexplanon! I was on the pill for 2 years and the pill worked great for me, but I just got sick of taking the pill everyday. I went to my doctor and just wanted a easier carefree form of birth control. We talked about Nexplanon and the IUD but I just didn't want the IUD. I have had my normal time of the month for the first two weeks but it was a lot shorter and lighter, which is crazy because my period was like 3 days to begin with and no symptoms. My boyfriend and I love it and definitely be getting another one when my three years are up.

April 4, 2015 2:01 PM

Review by Jaz Hong:

I had pretty moderate acne (I've suffered from acne since I was 10) when I started Nexplanon. I figured It was time to start on a birth control anyway so I looked into Nexplanon. I was initially worried that it would make my acne even worse since that is what most people had been saying. Not the case. I've had it for almost 6 months. Skin has never been clearer. And no babies. So that's a plus.

April 2, 2015 9:18 AM

Review by Lauren S (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've had my Nexplanon since July of 2014 and I love it. I did not get the month long periods that others got but I have been on birth control pills for a while so my body just may be used to birth control in general. My periods come maybe 2 or 3 times a year and usually last a week and a half, which is the only downside. My boyfriend and I do not use any other form of birth control and so far so good.

March 29, 2015 9:27 AM

Review by annaphilgood:

I've had Nexplanon since June of 2013. This is my second time to have this form of birth control. Neither times did I have problems with Nexplanon. The only problem I have is the procedure of taking it out. But hey no pain no gain. Any friend of mine that ask for birth control advice. I will advise them to get Nexplanon.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 26, 2015 11:20 PM

Review by tylia (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have had the Nexplanon for about 3 months now and it is great. No pregnancies even after direct ejaculation. The only down side is the constant spotting. Its annoying like I almost never get to have sex. But other than that great!

March 25, 2015 9:00 PM

Review by missimaee (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I got my Nexplanon in March of 2014. So I've had it a year now, and I bled for about 3 weeks but it was light, and I have an actual period sometimes. I like it, for the most Part. Mine still hurts and tingles sometimes, but its all good.

March 24, 2015 7:06 PM