User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Nexplanon review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 201 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Nexplanon to treat Birth Control

Review by Emmmmm:

I am 18 now and I've had Nexplanon for a year now. The insertion was painful of course -bruised. For the first 4 months I bled every day but since then I rarely bleed. No acne, no weight gain. I get headaches at times, and pretty emotional most of the time. As for birth control, it is fantastic!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 15, 2014 11:04 AM

Review by TMo1991:

I have been on it for 2 years now. The point of it is to not have babies. No babies here. Yes the 1st six months I would get headaches and was really moody. The only problem now is I spot for three weeks (somedays worse than others) but then no period/spotting for two months. But I will deal with it because doing it's overall job.

August 15, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by mdcali:

Nexplanon does its job. I can have worry free sex. The only thing is that my periods are sometimes light and sometimes heavy. Sometimes they go away and sometimes they show up unexpected. I also feel somewhat depressed. Not sure if its Nexplanon or not. I've had Nexplanont for about 2 months now, but despite the side effects its the most effective birth control I've ever used and I do not plan on taking it out.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 11, 2014 12:29 PM

Review by KC824 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I LOVE IT! Can't rave enough about it. No mood swings, no strong appetite, GREAT SEX DRIVE. Super quick and painless to get put in, lasts 3 years! I have had it in for 10 months now and have not had ONE period. I also LOST weight on it. Before when I was bouncing from pill to pill, my weight would fluctuate and no amounts of the gym would ever help... now I am doing my same regimen at the gym with results (not saying this is because of the pill) but my appetite is not as STRONG as it was on the pill. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.

August 8, 2014 12:46 PM

Review by anchorsaway1395 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Wonderful birth control! Had bruising at implant site, to be expected. Had very few side effects: one I really notice is headaches, otherwise nothing. Had periods maybe once every two months, and I now haven't had one since February I think? It's August, so I can't even remember! 100% contraceptive. 4.5 stars.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 7, 2014 11:37 PM

Review by kim.shade:

Started Nexplanon 2 months ago because I have a minimal amount of contraception's I can take due to my inability to take the hormone that is used in most birth controls. I'm trying to give it time because it is one of my only options right now. But honestly if I had options I'd get it removed. I've never had acne problems in my life, and immediately broke out after getting it implanted. Sex drive is completely gone, and I used to have sex with my boyfriend a few days a week, now its completely forced and not even fun for me anymore. I mean I'm on birth control because I like having sex but don't want to get pregnant, why take a birth control that takes away sex? Very unhappy and hope that I get it back with time or I'm getting it removed.

August 7, 2014 12:07 AM

Review by Ardennis (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Where do I start?! Got it put in Feb. of 2013 & it was a quick easy insertion. Soon after, I was depressed and sad for no reason. I started losing my hair, got terrible acne and gained about 10 pounds. After the first 6 months of this it calmed down and everything was great! No periods, nothing. Then about 12 months into it, I started bleeding for 3 weeks on and 2 weeks off, this went on for 6 months and then I had it removed. No one wants to have 3 week long periods. I went to get it out & the doc said she had to cut a second hole because it moved while she was trying to pry it out of the first one. It took about 30 minutes of poking and prodding! Not worth having such big scars.

August 5, 2014 12:33 PM

Review by MrsBeavers (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have had a great results for this birth control. First birth control that worked for me. I have not had a period in two years. Although I do have the cravings during what would have been that time of the month. I have intercourse with my husband on a daily basis with no problems. Would highly recommend.

August 4, 2014 3:56 PM

Review by DolceDonna (taken for less than 1 month):

I got Nexplanon inserted about two weeks ago. I haven't had a period, bled, or even spotted since. I have a friend that also has the implant and said that she had. I've actually lost 3 pounds since insertion but I have started working out. The only side effect I'm getting is acne. My face was fine until tonight. My skin is oily now and I'm breaking out on my forehead. My skin was always clear before this. Other than that, this is the best birth control I've had.

August 2, 2014 8:40 AM

Review by slvrgrl98 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have read most of these reviews and all have had the same experience that I have had. I have not stopped bleeding since I had it put in 2 1/2 months ago. I am extremely moody and hormonal. It is effective but all of us women should not have to be experiencing PMS symptoms on an every day basis. I am getting this out of me very soon.

July 31, 2014 10:31 AM

Review by Noodles29:

I've had the Nexplanon in 2 and a half years now. I've considered having it taken out twice in the last year or so as I was bleeding for around 2-3 weeks at a time. Doc put me on progesterone only pill for 3 months last year and this settled my periods but felt like it was too many hormones in my system as I was a bit of a psycho! Stopped taking them after 2 months but kept my periods regular for a good 6-9 months. Just been prescribed a combined pill for another 3 months to settle the irregular bleeding that has started again so I will see how that goes. I am considering getting it taken out soon. Only prob is I'm weak at remembering the pill which is why I loved the worry free benefits of the Nexplanon despite the drawbacks!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2014 7:59 AM

Review by Cattttttt:

so much acne! I have bad headaches, gained 10 pounds, and I am feelings super depressed and tired.

July 29, 2014 7:34 PM

Review by 319485nfredfc:

I have only been on it for a month and I have already gained 10 pounds. I've been the same weight for the past three years and this is the only thing I am doing differently. I am always spotting and if I'm not spotting its because I am having a 10 day period with the worst cramps known to man. I have never had acne ever and now I'm breaking out like crazy. With the weight gain, constant spotting/period, and acne, its safe to say I'm super moody, self conscious, and going nuts because of it. I'm getting it removed tomorrow morning.

July 29, 2014 1:44 PM

Review by GrapefruitBoo2 (taken for less than 1 month):

Previously had PMDD that included panic attacks, depression, oversleeping, mood swings, binge eating etc. I feel like my life has changed and I am so happy now. I have had no side effects apart from occasional sore throat, 2 headaches, occasional muscle pain, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms (cured with pro biotic drinks!) This is nothing compared to the past. Very very happy! I had bad bruising for 3 weeks so it meant I had to wear long sleeved tops to prevent questioning haha.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 28, 2014 4:42 PM

Review by kczmommy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Got it in 4/11/14. 1st 2 wks couldn't keep anything down. Dr tested and gave anti-nausea pills which worked. Period started 3rd week and seemed normal. Everytime boyfriend and I get intimate I start bleeding again. I have gained 35 lbs the last 3 months and have not changed my eating habits or lifestyle. I am nauseated ALL the time and sick ALL the time. Find myself running to bathroom few nights a week. Feel pregnant. More irritable. Boyfriend and I have discussed things and we both are not happy with the way it's making me feel sick all the time. Getting this thing removed next Tuesday morning!

July 28, 2014 2:18 PM

Review by Amber seed (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have had Nexplanon since May of 2014 it is now August of 2014 and I have been bleeding every since. I have gained 20 pounds since then and I also have acne now. I'm getting this thing taken out as soon as possible. I wish this was the birth control method for me but it's not. I like the idea of not having to take a pill every single day but after this, I'm willing a and ready to go back to the pill. Good luck if you decide to take this method.

July 26, 2014 12:09 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I hate it, I've gained almost 30 pounds with it and counting! I've had it since October and hope to get it removed next month.

July 25, 2014 2:25 AM

Review by Lo1414:

I am 23 years old. I got the Nexplanon right after my son was born. The 2 first months I bled like usual than I began getting 2 periods per month. That lasted about four months. I did see lots of blood clots and dark brown blood for several days when period was ending. I've been on this contraceptive for over a year and 3 months and the bleeding still is no joke. Besides the long unpredictable periods I had no other side effects.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2014 1:28 AM

Review by raspberrysocks (taken for less than 1 month):

Not been on for long but mainly got it for PMDD symptoms - which are very similar to the mood swings effects of Nexplanon. I feel amazing. I was so scared to have it done but it didn't hurt to get it in - but the bruises were unsightly and meant I had to wear long sleeved tops for a week. Only side effects for me are occasional headaches, more spots (solved by daily facewash), dry throat, appetite, and similar to Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms but all solved by boosting blood sugar. Spotting isn't a problem as long as you remember to carry pantyliners. This is nothing compared to my past problems, very happy - but yet to see if it prevents pregnancy!

July 22, 2014 4:12 PM

Review by BabyMoney:

I've had the Nexplanon for about 4 months. Pros and cons. Pros very reliable, no worrying, and no forgetting to take or change anything. Cons extremely irregular periods; first period with it was 2 weeks then no period for 2 months. My recent period had lasted for 1 month and there is no telling when its going to end. Need to get removed NOW.

July 22, 2014 3:09 AM

Review by mandywward:

I got this put in roughly 7 months ago, and honestly I've had no problems at all. I was, like many, nervous because of all the horror stories I heard about bleeding and moodiness and decreased sex drive, but decided to try it. I have had no prolonged bleeding, I get a 3-4 day long period once a month. I am not moody at all which is great, because the pill made me crazy. And I haven't noticed a significant difference in my sex drive, though it has decreased a little - my boyfriend and I have had no problems. I'm glad my body reacted positively to this, because it is a very efficient method of birth control. I truly recommend at least trying it to see how your body reacts, and be sure to remember to give it some time to settle in.

July 21, 2014 10:51 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I decided on Nexplanon because I would forget to take my birth control pills. So thought it would be a lot easier since I wouldn't have to take any more pills. I've had it for a couple of months now. I was fine the first two months and then started bleeding and have been for the passed 2.5 months non stop. For me, it's not worth it. I am sick of the bleeding and not being able to have sex with my husband. It's not fair to him. I am gladly going back to birth control pills and will make myself remember to take them on time everyday. Nexplanon did not work for me.

July 20, 2014 10:47 PM

Review by Krissyalexis97:

I just got Nexplanon 3 days ago and so far I'm loving it! It was free for me since I'm 17. Even though the experience has only been so short, many people were posting plenty of complaints on their experience of the insertion of implanted and the pain as well as the soreness they felt. For me it wasn't painful at all. The insertion was very quick and easy. My nurse went over the procedure and symptoms with me as well as having me take a pregnancy test before the insertion (even though I haven't had sex in over 2 months with my boyfriend). My arm isn't sore, but there is a tiny bruise forming. The only bad symptom is I've been eating a LOT, but I'm 105 lbs and never gain weight. So far I'm happy with the method.

July 20, 2014 12:58 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've had Nexplanon about 10 months and I've bleed all of the 10 months. My face is horribly broke out my chest and back have little bit of acne, I get moody, tired, achy and cramps bad. It works as I have not gotten pregnant but I have all these terrible side effects, sometimes my arm hurts where the rod is.

July 18, 2014 8:31 PM

Review by Ohiowan (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I had this inserted in October 2013 after consulting with my doctor, who pushed it for the convenience. Insertion was quick and painless, with minor stinging. The first 2 months were AWFUL with acne, depression, crying, and mood swings, which stabilized once I recognized the cause. Months 4 to 6 were even worse because I would not stop bleeding. Numerous times I wanted it removed, but my doctor told me to give my body 6 months to adjust. Finally after almost 10 months my body is doing better. Bleeding has stopped for 6 weeks and counting although I am fighting slight weight gain of 3 to 5 pounds. Yes, you cannot beat the convenience, but you need to seriously consider the side effects because they were unbearable many times for me.

July 17, 2014 6:29 PM