User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Nexplanon Review Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 213 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Nexplanon to treat Birth Control

"I got the Nexplanon in Nov 2013. It is definitely the most effective and easiest form of birth control I have experienced. The first 3 months I had some spotting & break through bleeding. Then after 3 months I quit having periods. I have to admit that part is nice! However, I have gained about 25 pounds, averaging 10 pounds per year. I work out on weekends, eat healthy and do what I can to control it but it seems to have minimal impact. I have always been thin. I'm 5'9.5 and had been approximately 130-135 for the past 8 years. Now I'm between 155-160. Also the weight I have put on makes me look pregnant.I have been more mellow and my sex drive has drastically lowered."

Cristi123456 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2015

"Yes it is great at preventing pregnancy because you loose your entire sex drive. I've had mine in for a year now and I've seriously only had sex with my husband twice and I basically made myself because I felt so bad for my husband. Bleeding was non-stop which I was told would be..got on the pill to control bleeding because I passed out at work and was alone..not sure how long I was out for before a guard found me. Mood swings are insane crazy. Either I'm a zomby or I'm completely pissed at everything. I would NOT recommend Nexplanon to anyone. I get that every women's body is different and reacts differently to different medicines but don't take the chance with Nexplanon. I am getting mine removed ASAP."

Heather mommyof3 June 29, 2015

"Absolutely hate it had it put in in Nov 2014 and by March 2015 I was 85 pounds heavier .I had bad breakouts to the point they became open sores. I was retaining water like crazy and my hair is falling out to the point that I have a patch on the back of my head about 2inx 1inch that is completely bald and smooth like it won't grow back in. Just got it cut out today and was told that it could take another 9 months for my hair to. Start growing back in. Also so irregular with periods I would never know when to carry tampons with me and the one time I don't it comes full force.Do not get this unless you want to go from a size 8-10 pants to an 18w... :( hoping the weight comes off so I can go back to normal)"

Marissa nicole June 29, 2015

"The nexplanon is a great device in the sense that once its inserted you dont have to worry about drinking anything each day or making appointments for shots. Its good for 3 years and its not noticeable. I had my nexplanon for a year before I took it out. The first 3 months I bleed every single day. After the 3 months I didn't get my cycle for another 3 months and then suddenly got my cycle after those months and I never stopped bleeding after that. I was put on a bc pill to see if I could stop the bleeding and it just made it worst and heavier. It was horrifying . I do not recommend"

anonymous1204 June 29, 2015

"I absolutely love Nexplanon. I had mine inserted at the end of January 2015, so it's been about 5 months. Yes at first your period is gonna be all outta wack, but I haven't had a period in about two months and I love it!!!!! I did have a little mood swings at first but they subsided. No I did not gain weight, and no I did not lose my sex drive. It's even helped cleared up some acne! Highly recommend this to any female wanting to stop taking the pill. It's awesome!"

Samantha223 June 29, 2015

"I've had nexaplanon almost a year now. I got the nexaplanon when I turned 16. The first month with the birth control I had only a light period. After then I haven't had a period at all. I can barely feel the implant. It wasn't painful but however after you do get dizzy and sleepy after you get it inserted. The next day you will be more energized than ever. The only negative is that you gain weight. I went from being 180 lbs to being 220. It is horrible. I'm planning to get this taken off because of it. Overall I reccommend it if your 16 to 35 years old even to regulate periods."

Chitt June 29, 2015

"I do NOT recommend this birth control to anyone, I have had the implant for a little over two years now, and I'm going to wait out the 3 years because it has been so effective at preventing pregnancy...however, the side effects such as moodiness, depression, and constant bleeding are causing me to switch my method next year. I have periods that last for months on months, and my sex drive has gone down so much. I feel so awful for my spouse because if and when we do have sex it's during a period which is pretty gross. :("

Amy Love (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 29, 2015

"This is the worst, it makes me bleed and bleed for months and then gives me a 4 day break so not effective. Doctor had me taking both control pills apart and period wouldn't go away so she made me take more and more doses it didn't help at all. I hate it."

Anonymous June 29, 2015

"My nexplanon was inserted 4 months ago. I hate it! It prevents pregnancy however the rest is horrible. I have gained so much weigh plus my period last a month then a two week break then another month long period. I'm having mine taken out."

Military mom June 28, 2015

"Absolutely LOVE this birth control!! I had mirena previously for 2 years and had the most awful experiences with it. As soon as I got nexplanon all of my symptoms from mirena disappeared. I have been more energetic, have had no headaches or pain whatsoever! Absolutely recommend it."

Amanda2015 June 28, 2015

"Horrible! I read all the reviews before getting it as well the summer of 2014 and decided to follow through with it anyways. I have bled for almost an entire year straight with maybe a two week break the entire time. This made me become anemic, tired, and irritable. Mood swings were off the charts, I even noticed how ridiculous I acted at times over nothing. Sex drive was completely gone, which had never been a problem in the past year Weight gain was absolutely insane. My diet or lifestyle didn't change and I gained a ridiculous amount of weight. My opinion? Don't waste you're time or money on it. Get the pill even though it's harder to keep a schedule."

Unhappy user June 28, 2015

"For me this was the worst control ever. I got this implanted after I had my daughter she is 15 mouths so about 14 months now. This is the worst thing that ever happened to me. I was 128lb post partum and I am now 150 and I'm only 4"11 so I look huge. I have always been small. My vision is effected, no desire to have sex even tho I love sex. Mood swings I'm always crying or angry. I'm always in a fog. Sometimes I feel like I'm not even living. I'm very tired. In order to do anything I have to drink and energy drink and I'm so fatigued that the energy drink only makes me feel like I'm well rested not jacked up on energy. When I get a peroid it is crazy long. Works for some but its not worth the side effects."

Anonymous June 28, 2015

"I had the nexplanon implant put in, in September of 2014, the incertion was painless because they numbed the area first. I had a ton of bruising at the site and the pain and bruising lasted a while. I had one period the week after I got the nexplanon but it was light and lasted maybe 5 days.. Then no period at all. I started noticing weight gain, about 15 pounds and for my height it showed a lot. I was nauseous everyday, very moody, and stressed out for no reason. I got it out 2 days ago and I already feel better. Not nauseous at all, and I was nauseous for 9 months everyday. I wouldn't recommend this just because of how it made me feel, but it may work for other people. On the bright side I had no period.."

SaraD June 28, 2015

"I've had Nexplanon for 10 months now. I wanted it removed after the first 3 due to acne and major hair loss but my doctor kept convincing me to 'wait it out'. After 7 months and still no improvement, I went back to the doctor and yet again she convinced me to keep trying, this was mostly because it is such a reliable form of birth control despite its terrible side effects. For the first 7 months I had not one sign of a period but in these last 3 months I've bled every day. Throughout the months I've had terrible mood swings, depression, devastating hair loss, acne and now prolonged spotting/bleeding all of which are why I am getting my implant out this week."

good&bad (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2015

"I've had my Nexplanon for 18 months. It has prevented pregnancy..... so it gets a score of 10 for that. I have also been lucky because my periods have all but stopped! Love that! However, I am trying to get an appointment as I speak to have it removed, for these reasons: Weight gain.... About 20 pounds. Tired, cranky, and depressed (just feel like crap EVERY DAY). An increase in RLS episodes..... By about 50%. It wasn't for me."

i want it out! (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 26, 2015

"I got Nexplanon in december of 2014. It has been a nightmare. Constant bleeding, when I asked my doctor to get it taken out after 4 months he prescribed me some estrogen pills which stopped the bleeding for a week and now my period is back with a vengeance. I have no desire for sex, can't wear white-thats how heavy my periods are. I have been depressed and gained 22 lbs. I give it a four because it works as birth control since you can't have sex. I will be getting removed next week even if my doctor recommends against it!"

Ashley W June 26, 2015

"I have had mine in for almost a year and I love it, my period is pretty regular, and everything was the same. Insertion was painless and only a little bruise."

Jellykelly June 26, 2015

"I had Nexplanon implanted 4 days ago. About 4 years ago, when I was 16, I started to develop multiple, painful ovarian cysts. I was put on Lupron injections to shrink all of my reproductive organs and put me into medically induced menopause. This was required so I can have surgery to remove extra tissues and fibroids left from the cysts. I then was put on the Depo shot to keep the cysts from returning. I had no periods for about 2 1/2 years until I stopped the shot because of side effects. I began to have my period again, but because of the hormone treatments my body was not producing hormones normally. I would then have irregular periods. The Nexplanon has already normalized everything and the wound is healing nicely."

Cathy Rose June 25, 2015

"I got the implant in January of 2014 after my daughter was born. It was easily inserted, painless and only left a tiny dot of a scar. I did get a period the first month which last 18 days. I was very worried that it would continue like that and considered getting it removed, but after the period ended I went over a year before I had another one, which lasted only 2 days. Now a year and a half later I am starting to get short periods (2 days) every two months. I think the implant is wonderful. I like not having to worry about taking a pill or having condoms on hand every time my husband and I wanted to get intimate. The only real negative thing about it has been the weight gain; about 15 pounds that just won't come off! :-)"

JessTheMess June 25, 2015

"I have had the implant for two years now I got it in July 2013 and it is now about to be July 2015 and what I can say is my period last 15 to 25 days. And I get a period every other month. I hate it, I call it the "sex control" because I can't have sex or at least I won't want to have on my period. I've never had an issue with other birth control so I'm very surprised at this I don't recommend it for anyone."

Jasmine77 June 25, 2015

"I have no issues with this birth control. And from reading what's happened to other people in so sorry. Luckily for me I've found my dream birth control. I had my first one out in May of 2012 and just had a new one put in last month. No pregnancies not even a missed period. Big bruise at first but that is expected. It takes some getting used to in your body it is a foreign object, but the implant is different for us all I hope it works for others as much as it does me"

Amooney1219 June 24, 2015

"I personally hate it ! I got it in 05/27/15 and I will be getting it taken out 06/26/15 . I've been bleeding the whole time, in which my Dr never informed me this would happen ."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2015

"I had it implanted in October of 2013. I didn't have a period at all for the first year and then the week of the one year mark I got one. Totally normal about 5 days just like my periods before getting pregnant. From then (oct 2014 to now June of 2015 I've had a period about every 3-4 months. They are totally normal or very light. That part has been GREAT! The negative side effects I've seen have been some break outs on my face, mild mood swings and irritability. But it hasn't ever gotten bad enough to make me want to get it removed. I have sex regularly and it has done its job. No babies. And I also started losing weight after being on it. I would say this is a great choice if you don't wanna worry about taking a pill every day!"

Tm00000000 June 23, 2015

"Easiest way to not have babies... light bleeding for a month, headaches, mood swings, acne and weight gain... after 4 months all clear up except for the waight gain it was only 13 pounds but for my height it was alot no periods for almost 1 year and half after that i had normal to light periods every other month. My doctor decided to remove it because i wasn't able to lose those gained pounds , we thought it will be better with something else with less hormones!!!"

Luzzy June 23, 2015

"I've had Nexplanon for about 3 months now and even though it has caused some obstacles, I recommend it. I got my Nexplanon in early March and after it was inserted, I did not have my period for about a month. After that month, I had a 5 week period, which my doctor stopped by putting me on the pill for 2 weeks. Again, my period started after a couple of weeks, so my doctor gave me more birth control. It was okay for a while, but I just started my period again. The insertion didn't bother me - I had a dance recital that night and I did just fine. Although the periods have been off and on, they have been much lighter than my periods not on birth control. I recommend this form of BC because it is very reliable."

ElephantGirl23 June 22, 2015