User Reviews for Nexplanon

Learn more about Nexplanon.

Nexplanon review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Nexplanon to treat Birth Control

Review by Jenninator:

I stopped getting a period completely for nearly two years. Now I suddenly got a period.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 25, 2015 9:11 AM

Review by tootiefruitie86 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I got my birth control in July 2014. For the First 6 Months My Periods Would Last 10 Days which was ok for me. Into my 7th month my period came on Feb 3rd an its been light but its still on...... and that's been about 20 days. This is irritating im really considering getting it taken out. I'm On My 2Nd Box Of Tampons and liners. This isnt good for me.

February 21, 2015 5:03 PM

Review by lkj_14 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on this birth control for about 6 months and I love it! Its helping me balance my weight, I lost 10 pounds on it! I have constant spotting with it but its not heavy and it doesn't leave anything on my underwear at all so that's pretty cool. 10/10 recommend.

February 19, 2015 9:20 PM

Review by Keyvers (taken for 1 to 6 months):

After I had my baby in September, I decided to get Nexplanon. I got it implanted in November and had normal periods for about two months and then they stopped altogether!

February 17, 2015 8:53 AM

Review by Lyssx3:

I've had Nexplanon since 11/5/14 and the whole first week I had extreme nausea, then bled for 3 weeks, was okay for about a month and now I'm back to nonstop bleeding, extreme nausea, very anxious, crying all the time, acne, and I'm just overall very unhappy and no longer myself. Having it removed next Monday but I'm not sure I can wait.

February 15, 2015 5:44 PM

Everything is great. I've had it for about two and a half months, no bad side effects. I've gained like four pounds, but it's not the end of the world. I've also had lots of spotting, which is expected and that should stop since I haven't had Nexplanon for very long. Besides those two things, nothing bad and I love it.

February 14, 2015 6:16 PM

Review by Yoshime:

I have been on Nexplanon for a while. During the beginning, I had my period on my normal time of the month. After my first year, I had begun barely having a period. I don't know if it's diet or something, but I'm on my second year and I have begun having my period for a month at a time, but three months without one. Overall, I'm not pregnant, and it hasn't effected my mood, craving, acne, anything.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 8, 2015 7:53 PM

Review by Notforthismom:

First, I've spotted on and off with this birth control. Over a year of it. Second, I can't lose weight for anything. After diets, exercise, you name it I can't lose weight. I've been the same weight maybe a few lbs more for a year. Third, I have no desire to be touched or even want to have sex. My sex drive doesn't exist. This all started when I got on this. I'm getting it removed this month. No other birth control has ever done this to me. It's not for me personally.

February 3, 2015 11:06 PM

Review by Shorty136:

Best birth control ever I've use it for since Jan 2013 and I've not gain weight, no headaches or nothing different from my normal life except that I haven't had a period ever since I got it which my Gyno said it was normal when I first got it didn't hurt a bit and I went on a cruise a week after that's how quick it heal but I guess everyone is different. Most people I know that has it love it and that's why I chose to get that one. Good luck to everyone.

February 3, 2015 12:48 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have had this birth control since July of 2014, so I've had it for about 7 months now and I recommend it to everyone! I only spotted for a couple days after getting it and then my period had stopped all together. I had no problems since then and I even lost 5 pounds! 100% effective for preventing pregnancies also. I love it!

February 1, 2015 7:58 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I think this is pretty great but the constant spotting can get in the way of a lot of things and can get really obnoxious and a little weight gain but other than that I think it's cool

January 28, 2015 6:44 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've had Nexplanon since June 2013 and its been great except for the first 7 months, I had an almost non stop period but since then no period been almost a year and half no period pretty happy about that. No weight gain actually lost weight. At first it did affect my mood but after awhile I got back to myself. Little to no acne. I plan on getting a new one when I get this one taken out. Best birth control!

January 28, 2015 3:23 AM

Review by Taanya (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

It's very effective against pregnancy but the side effects have been horrible for me. I got it installed in June 2014 after having my baby. In August I noticed 2 patch's of my hair gone and severely thinned out in the front of my hair. I just thought this was due to postpartum hair loss which typically happens 3-4 months after you have a baby. However it is now January 27th 2015 and the hair loss has continued and now has spread to my entire front head around the edges. Also since I have had it, I have had no desire for sex. Nothing gets me aroused at all. My sex drive is nonexistent. I am going to get it removed soon because the side effects are unbearable. I am most upset by my hair loss.

January 27, 2015 7:53 PM

Review by boomyeahmexi (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been on the Nexplanon for a year and two months now. Last time I got my period was on June for 6 days. No pregnancies. I did spot for a couple of days when I first got it inserted but other than that no complaints. I don't get spotting, more periods I guess I am those lucky ones. I recommend this!

January 25, 2015 7:00 PM

Review by ElizabethT:

August 2013 and my experience with it has been both good and bad. The first month I did not have a period, then for the next six months I had a period every two weeks, now it's down to a period once a month. For pregnancy prevention its great, but not so great because of irregular periods.

January 25, 2015 2:04 PM

Review by Amor87:

My experience with Nexplanon was horrible and would like to share my experience, although everyone is different and what doesn't work for me might work for you or vice versa. I had the Nexplanon placed 3 months after giving birth. Before that I was happy, high sex drive (always have had high sex drive), regular periods, and overall very long life. After Nexplanon I had non stop bleeding, severe headaches, severe dizziness, severe lightheadedness, extreme fatigue and severe mood swings. I felt like I was going downhill because I felt sick all the time and extreme sadness and depression. I had it removed because I no longer felt like myself and felt like I was making bad memories on what should be my most precious moments with my family.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2015 4:08 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have this birth control I got it on my six week check up back in 2013 at first it was wonderful it didn't completely stop my cycle but it was every other month BUT when I did get it it would last for 7-10 days heavy an cramps then I would come off an a few days later come right back on for like 5 days but then won't get a cycle for two months now I'm getting pain in my arm mood swings depressed an eat a lot of snacks haven't picked up any weight though. I want it out though due to the pain.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 11:13 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've had Nexplanon going on 2 years and have had no issues. I have not had a period since it was put in. Only side effect I have had is my headaches have become stronger than when I didn't have it in. I would recommend this to everyone and plan on having another put in after the 3 years is up.

January 22, 2015 2:11 PM

Review by yokaz86 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have really good experience with Nexpalnon. After insertion my arm was sore about a week, after that I could go back to my gym and daily routine. It doesn't bother me at all. No migraines, no gain weight, no skin problems. My mood is the same maybe even better, I'm not that moody like before. I was some irregular bleeding about a month but it was very little. After a month I don't have period (hallelujah) and no bleeding at all. Only disadvantage I found is my libido. I noticed my sex drive changed quite significantly. I really recommend it !

January 19, 2015 5:39 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've been on Nexplanon for about a year now. I bled constantly the first 9 months along with acne and horrible cramps. Hot flashes, as well. Now my period just doesn't come at all yet I still get the horrible cramps often. I have no sex drive and I feel like my hair/face is always greasy. I haven't gained any weight which is the only plus.

January 19, 2015 5:28 PM

Review by kaitdup:

The idea of this is great. I got mine put in on July 24,14 & taken out Jan 19,15. I get sick with pill birth control & recently moved to Florida so I got it put in. I had no bleeding for 2 months then all of a sudden it never stopped. I was miserable and depressed with always bleeding and never being able to be intimate. I have friends with great experiences but this wasn't the case for me. They put me on birth control pills to help the bleeding it helped until the pills ran out. Ultimately after 2 months of constant bleeding I went in to a different doctor becuase I'm now out of the state I got it put in just for a consultation and she immediately offered to take it out.

January 19, 2015 12:15 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Hi, I just wanted to share my experience on both Implanon/Nexplanon. I have been on both for a combined 5 1/2 years, I got Implanon inserted in July 09 after having my son and got it removed 4yrs later and got the Nexplanon put in. Being on the Implanon was not that bad, I didn't have a period with it until 5 months before I had it removed, I didn't have weight gain, but it did cause me to not have a sex drive, I was moody, depressed, mad and emotional but it was bearable. Overall I like it and it is 100% effective in preventing pregnancy. Well my experience with Nexplanon was much more different, it was horrible and I wanted it out 5months in but thought I would give it a chance up until I just had it removed 12/30/2014.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2015 10:19 AM

Review by Mkegirl2 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have had it for 4 months. I had one period. It makes me nervous not having a period, but it's apparently super effective. I have had no other side effectives. Not having to worry about taking a pill every day is wonderful! Everyone is different, but I definitely suggest it.

January 17, 2015 6:12 PM

Review by Amss (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My experience with Nexplanon hasn't been the greatest. I got it inserted in August 2014 and had my normal period at the end of that month. It lasted about 10 days and then stopped. I then started back again 3 days later and it lasted a further 3 days. I then didn't start back until the 27th of September 2014 and have had constant bleeding since. I decided to go to the doctors on Jan 6th 2015 because the bleeding was becoming a hassle. She prescribed me Loestrin 20 pills to take to stop the bleeding. I started taking them that day and my period stopped within a week...FOR ONE DAY! My period started back the very next day(15th Jan) and is getting heavier rather than lighter 2 days in (17th Jan). Prolonged bleeding is the ONLY side effect I had.

January 17, 2015 10:28 AM

I've had this birth control for 2 years now. Great form of birth control, never had to use a back up at all. Very convenient. I don't even notice it. Down sides are that I bleed for 3 out of 4 weeks a month and they are heavy. Also I have gained a lot of weight. I would not use this birth control again. Only because the pill seemed to work better for me.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate