Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Amenorrhea 3 reviews 27 medications

6.3
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 73 reviews 177 medications

5.8
Endometrial Cancer 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 17 medications Not rated - Be the first
Renal Cell Carcinoma 0 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 336 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Depo-Provera

Review by autumnearley:

For Birth Control: I've been on the shot for a while. Started it after a miscarriage with D&C procedure . I haven't had a period, no weight gain like people are scared of, and no bad side effects. I'm pleased. The pills and patch caused nothing but problems !

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2015 9:13 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I was given a depo provera shot after an essure procedure. I had never taken it before. I had non stop bleeding for 3 months until my doctor gave me another birth control to take on top of it. The bleeding stopped for a couple weeks but came back and has not stopped for a month and a half. Definite weight gain. This drug should only be used to treat specific conditions and not be used as a general birth control.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2015 10:26 PM

Review by Ram She'll (taken for less than 1 month):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I was on the depo a little over a year ago had no problems nor period the whole time . This year I returned back to the depo feb 10 , 2015 and have been bleeding for 2 1/2 months straight . The Depo is terrible. NEVER AGAIN

April 25, 2015 3:26 PM

Review by Hanananana (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I only had 2 shots then stopped but about 2 months after stopping, I started having constant bleeding and its been non-stop for almost 3 months and for me it's way more of a hassle than it's worth.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2015 12:32 AM

Review by AfromFoodland:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on this shot for a little more than a year, and at first it was fine but about halfway through my year I began having random periods of spotting. I noticed it usually began after (and sometimes DURING) sex. I haven't gained much weight or anything but bleeding during sex is NOT fun. I would recommend this form of birth control but something must be done about the irregular bleeding.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2015 2:37 AM

Review by Samg1234:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on this for exactly a month now and I have been bleeding since the day I got it. Granted, I had to get the shot when I started my period but the bleeding hasn't stopped. I am heavy enough to where I have to wear a regular sized tampon. It's messing with my sex life and it's driving me insane. I'm going to get my second shot in June and if this doesn't stop I'm going to stop the shot all together.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2015 7:51 AM

Review by SierrraRose (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: Depo-Provera is the best birth control I have ever experienced. I have had NONE of the said side effects. No weight gain, no bleeding whatsoever, and no uncomfortable side effects. It is easy to remember, only having to go in every 3 months. I highly recommend this form of birth control. Great experience.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2015 7:39 PM

Review by Comarr (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on the Depo-Provera since November 2014 and I've been bleeding ever since. It's about time for my next shot and I will not be continuing to take this medicine. Whereas it may be effective but it's costing more money buying feminine hygiene products and it's seriously affecting my sex life. And I'm over the continuous bleeding.

April 16, 2015 6:25 AM

Review by Nicolee:

For Birth Control: I've been on the Depo-Provera shot for over 8 months now, I received my first shortly after I had my son, I was breastfeeding so this was my only option. The only pros for me are its convenient, I'm a nurse and I just pick it up from pharmacy and inject myself or a friend from work does it for me then I'm good for three months, no remembering to take a pill. Cons have been constant bleeding on and off, longest being over 3 weeks straight. I have gained back all the weight that I did lose from having my baby and am now stuck at the same weight I was at 9 months pregnant, it's awful and embarrassing, I am constantly hungry like constantly and I crave sweets and chocolate more than anything. I also am sweating like crazy all the time.

April 14, 2015 5:29 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: Taking the shot was a mistake. My period started at the usual time-then didn't stop for just under 3 months. Doctor said it was normal and should even out after the next shot, so I took a second one. After a few weeks my period started back up and has been going for about 3 weeks now. My sex drive is dead. I had taken Nuva Ring in the past and continued to have a regular, 5-6 day period. I also still had a normal sex drive. Depo-provera feels like a hormone overdose and it's awful. No pregnancy, but I don't want to have sex because I'm bleeding all the time

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2015 9:45 PM

Review by Court20137 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on depo for almost a year now. It's had its ups and down. Ups would be not having periods, no babies, and unprotected sex!!!!! Downs would be the red/brown spotting, weight gain and back pain (what I'm experiencing at the moment). The weight thing is a little weird. I usually weigh around 159-163, and I gained about 10 pounds and recently lost them from going to the gym and eating less fast foods. Overall, it's the best BC method. Keep in mind all that I described doesn't happen to all women, we all vary.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2015 10:31 PM

Review by meme4567890:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: This shot has saved my life. I was very hormonal with terrible painful PMS. This shot helped with all of my symptoms..including my constant back pain. I don't really think the weight gain is a big issue because I know I gained 5 pounds around my period anyways. I have energy to do more important things now and it has helped my depression significantly. It may not be for everyone but it definitely is helping me tremendously.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2015 8:11 PM

Review by sierramar1314lynn:

For Birth Control: I've been on it for 7 months now. The only bad thing is depending on your body type you'll gain a lot of weight. I gained 20 pounds,yet it definitely filled in my small body,I don't have a period any more but I always look and feel pregnant. But it very effective as a birth control. I highly recommend it and its easy to keep up with.

April 9, 2015 11:18 AM

Review by n1723:

For Endometriosis: I was diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis at 17 years old. After being on Lupron for 6 months, my doctor proceeded to put me on Depo for the rest of my life until I decide to have kids, and then back on the shot afterwards. I am now on my 5th shot and I've had horrible endometriosis pain(not cramps, very different pain) and have had my period for 2 weeks. I am not sure the Depo is working correctly with my body but other than that, the previous shots have made almost all pain from my endometriosis go away.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2015 10:04 AM

Review by Lushes:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I got this shot in January after having my son ever since then I haven't stopped bleeding I'm certainly thinking of taking the pill better I guess my body isn't working with this shot. But it is very effective!

April 2, 2015 2:33 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I have only been on the shot for 4 weeks. few side effects, Slight mood change, and tingling/ numbness in fingers and feet. Doctor said it was normal, give it a try.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 26, 2015 1:58 PM

Review by User since 2010:

For Birth Control: I have been on this shot for 5 years, almost 6 now. I had had no serious problems. I gained about 40 pounds and I am having trouble losing it, but that is it. When I first got on this I actually lost weight & was the smallest I'd ever been, but I decided to try to switch to the pill (hated it) & then got back on Depo, which is when the weight gain happened. I had major mood swings but am now on another medication to help control that. It definitely works and love not having a period! Just hate the weight gain. This is definitely a birth control I would recommend.

March 26, 2015 12:52 PM

Review by lol pollo:

For Birth Control: This shot took me from 0-10 in seconds. My emotions were all over the place. I cried all the time was just going crazy from hormones. I then became severely anemic due to bleeding the entire time on the shot. So tired muscle cramps and out of breath. I took it due to the fact I was Breast feeding.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2015 9:10 AM

Review by Leela1234:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have been on the shot since December 4th 2014, have had a period from January 9th 2015 to the present.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2015 9:17 PM

Review by Paiksmedics:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Had abnormal bleeding after getting double dose that was a month before next dose

March 15, 2015 4:43 AM

Review by jayohwhy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I've been on the shot for 2 years, I've experienced no weight gain or any of the other common side affects. I have not had a single period and only spotted one time. I started the shot when I was 16, and now that I am 18, I want to change methods because it is recommended to not be on the shot for over 2 years because it can lead to osteoporosis. I have tried other methods before, such as the patch and the ring. But the shot was my favorite of them all. If I didn't have to switch methods, I would definitely stay on the shot.

March 13, 2015 1:53 PM

Review by HighBloodPressure166 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I am 21 years old was placed on this medicine for having high blood pressure and it being an estrogen free birth control. I was terrified or weight gain, spotting, and mood swings, all of which this shot is rumored to do. I have experience absolutely no bleeding since my first shot, got the second shot today and no weight gain (I do exercise daily). I have been somewhat emotional around the time of my normal period, but no more then usual. Overall I love the shot and having no period is a plus all around!

March 11, 2015 1:46 PM

Review by DreaJ:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have been on Depo Provera since Dec. 6, 2015. Started bleeding January 6 2015 and it hasn't stopped since then! I had my second injection last Saturday and I'm hoping that the bleeding will stop. Its effective in preventing pregnancy but Its greatly affecting my sex life.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2015 2:58 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I love how all of you say that you can't lose weight on Depo. I gained about 15 pounds, started dieting and exercising, and now I have lost all of that weight and more! Yes I have some spotting, but its better than having to take a pill everyday!

March 1, 2015 6:17 PM

Review by MeshaeJ:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I am a user of the birth control shot and I honestly love the fact that I do not have to worry about taking the pill. I just go to the doc every three months to renew my shot. But the only thing I hate is the bleeding for long periods. I have been on theshot for almost a year and a half. I remember the first three months, I experienced excruciating pain one day in my stomach, it felt so bad. I was in class and I had to run to the bathroom. When I was sitting on the toilet, this HUGE blood clot came out. It was almost the size of a tennis ball. Afterwards, my cramping stopped.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate