User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Amenorrhea 4 reviews 25 medications

6.3
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 148 reviews 163 medications

4.5
Endometrial Cancer 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 17 medications Not rated - Be the first
Renal Cell Carcinoma 0 reviews 17 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 485 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Depo-Provera

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "The other day I had very heavy bleeding and went to the emergency room and they said it could be because this shot. I was bleeding so bad and heavy that I soaked through two towels. Today I was driving to go pick up food and started bleeding so bad it soaked through my seat, and through a sweatshirt! I would not recommend this birth control to anyone!"

maaaverick (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2015

For Birth Control "I have been on the depo for 6 1/2 years. I love it! It works. AND No periods. No weight issues. No crazyness. About a week before I am due for my three month shot I will spot but it is no big deal. My doctor has recommended that I switch to a different birth control since I have been on this for so long and there is debate about bone mass being impacted after long term use. I am sad to switch honestly. I will be switching to mirena and am VERY nervous to try something different. I am only 22 so hopefully my body will adapt to mirena alright."

hellopeeps! August 31, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have had 2 shots with depo provera. I am 54 and was put on it because I had heavy periods. I bled for 60 days out of 90 with the first shot and not have bled for 88 straight days with the second shot. What is going on?I am having a uterine ablation tomorrow because the bleeding isnt stopping.Not Happy , and I put on 10 lbs in 4 months. I would never recommend this drug to anyone."

robtlc August 30, 2015

For Birth Control "I absolutely love being on the depo shot. I have never had and problems or side effects except one and that is I don't get periods any more at all. I love that and its every 3 months I'm not planning on having any more kids any time soon I have 2 already, both girls 11 & 6 yrs old. I'm 29 yrs old and been on the depo shot 6 yrs. Anyone thinking of getting it. Get it its the best"

Lauriegreeneyes August 30, 2015

For Birth Control "I was on Depo for twoish years. The first year was great spotted 3 months in and then never had a period at all. And then beginning mid second year everything changed. My mood swings were though the roof I gained 10-15 lbs I felt depressed. It definitely does the job of preventing pregnancy but the side effects were through the roof. I live an active lifestyle work out 2-5x a week and have been doing weight watchers for 1 year my weight is always up and down but I feel like its a cycle. I get motivated for a few weeks lose a few pounds and then get depressed and stop caring. I talked to my doctor and she does believe it is from depo. So I went back on the pill."

Kriscat99 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 28, 2015

For Birth Control "I was on this method of birth control from age 16-20. I loved it! I never noticed a weight gain, no periods at all for this entire time. In retrospect that probably isn't healthy but at the time it didn't bother me in the slightest. I had pretty intense mood swings, but I was also In a very unstable relationship at the time so I'm not going to pin the mood swings entirely on the depo. I recently switched to Trinessa pills and absolutely hate them, I never realized how happy I was with the depo shot until I started something else. I'm slightly concerned with the long term effects of the shot, but I might end up switching back to it. I know it has a rep for making people gain crazy weight, but it didn't have that effect on me."

cassidylea (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 28, 2015

For Endometriosis "I started on the shot in 2013 to help with the pain from endometriosis my cycle was pretty regular but I was in constant pain. The first year went pretty good with no side effects after the first year I started bleeding heavily and continued to for three months I was put on estrogen and the depot shot went from every twelve weeks to ten weeks after three months of this I under went a uterine ablation the bleeding stopped but the pain from the endometriosis is still an every day problem and I have put on 45lbs my blood pressure has went up. My doctor and I have decided the depot shot is no longer an option. the shot worked I suggest monitoring your health while on it."

Shell7seas (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 27, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "This had been my third time with depo. I had taken it twice before after my first two babies and had regular periods and no other side effects. So I thought nothing of it when they suggested it after my third born ( I feel like they always urge me to stop reproducing even after my healthy birth) . Four weeks to the day after my third birth I was given depo and have not stopped bleeding since. That's over four months of bleeding now. I didn't go back for the second shot at three months. From yucky dark thick blood to a river there is no stopping it. Along with all the joys of being on your period. I'm moody and depressed. I can't even go back to work :'("

SadBloodyPanda (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Experienced abnormal continual bleeding once shot was administered- for 4 months. Convenient contraceptive after all !Also experienced rapid weight gain, bloating and fatigue. Wouldn't recommend to friends."

Gemarella (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "This is a horrible horrible drug. I had an pharmacological abortion in November 2014 on the same day I was administered a shot of depot provera and was due another one in February 2015. I was bleeding for the whole 3 months without stopping. Went to GP who send me for a scan to exclude any tissue from termination left in the uterus. Everything was clear. Blood test was good. I refused further depot shots and said I want to have normal periods back. It is August now - 6 months from the date when I was due another shot and I am still bleeding erratically. I do have a bit more bleeding that I think is my period for around 1-2 weeks and then it stops for 1-2 days and then spotting returns. I am furious and extremely worried."

Kasia1982 August 25, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got my very first Depo shot in May and got my period on schedule in June, except it lasted for 2 weeks. Two weeks after it ended I got my period again (July 5th) and have been on it for the past 7 weeks, going on 8. I'm waiting for it to bleed out but it recently got heavier. I've called around to different offices and they've said the same thing: that I should just get another shot, and that irregular bleeding is normal for the first 6 months. I was having debilitating cramps in June, which I'm pretty sure is linked to the shot because I've never felt that pain before. Other than that, I haven't had cramps at all. I did notice that I am extremely angry on this birth control, and I started breaking out on my cheeks."

India V. August 25, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "The depo is different for everyone which I have found out. The only reason I got the depo is because it was highly recommended by people who have not experienced periods while on it, did not get a period in the first month but the second month was bleeding for a full 2 months and that's been my routine ever since will not be getting the 6th shot, I have spoke to a nurse and both doctor about this and it is considered normal as you need at least 3 in your system to get used to them but I am on the 6th and no change, would not recommend"

Ell1996 August 24, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "One thing for sure. It definitely prevents pregnancy because you can't have sex due to the fact you're constantly bleeding. I got my second shot on July 10th and I have been bleeding ever since with occasional clots and it's almost the end of August. It's very frustrating and annoying. I definitely will not be getting the third shot! And the medical facilities that provide the shot have no clue. #neveragain"

LadyTee76 August 24, 2015

For Birth Control "I was on the depo shot for about a year. I loved it. I had no periods at all for the year. I decided to try to conceive so I stopped getting the shot. The month after I was due for my shot I got my period again. Two weeks later and I'm still bleeding. I had very normal periods before the shot, always 4-7 days, on time every month. I'm nervous about my fertility and the constant two weeks of bleeding. I just hope it ends soon. I'm giving the shot an 8/10 because I had no side effects or periods on the shot and I didn't get pregnant. So I guess the birth control did it's job."

DTaylo August 24, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got the shot in June, it was great in the beginning! I didn't have a period the first month, the 2nd month came around and I got my period! & now its been a month and I am still bleeding!! I will never again get this shot! I have severe cramps. long lasting headaches. For any woman looking to get on birth control, I DO NOT recommend the Depo!!!!!"

TexasMoM254 August 24, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got the shot on July 2nd. The day I got the shot I had experienced sharp cramps in my stomach! Not even a week later I started bleeding, not like my normal light bleeding. This lasted for over a month! I stopped the heavy bleeding on August 15th!!! And now, I am still bleeding, just not as bad. This is like a brown slime. Its nasty as heck! This is the first and last time I will ever get that shot! Its ruining my attitude, I am never hungry, and I am dropping weight like no other! Not to mention my sex life!! I am going in on September 4th to talk to my doctor about trying something else and to see how we can stop the bleeding once and for all!!"

Missy0315 August 22, 2015

For Birth Control "Had I seen this blog years ago I would have given the depo shot a 10+ rating. I loved it! I tried a few other BC methods prior to getting depo years ago and didn't care for any of them. Finally when I first found depo I loved it. No periods, no side effects. Everything was great. I too a break from depo for about 3 months and then when I got my first injection again (about 1 and a half months ago) everything went down hill. I got it while I was on my period and then 3 days later I stopped bleeding then about 2 weeks after I started spotting which lasted a week, now it's been almost 3 and a half weeks and I'm still bleeding I'm constantly tired because of the lack of iron from bleeding for so long. I won't be getting the second injection!"

Stephaniemarie94 August 22, 2015

For Birth Control "I loved the depo shot. I was on it for just under two years, and had no problems. I used this as my only form of protection since I am in a committed relationship. My only slight issue is that I gained alot of weight (about 70 pounds). My doctor believes this is due to the stress of a new job, a promotion, And some life changes, not the depo. I quit the shot in order to confirm, it's been almost three months and I'm still gaining weight, so maybe the doctor was right. I had no other side affects, And no period, from the day I started. I haven't gotten my period back in the last three months. I plan to go back on the shot very soon. It's the most convenient by far, And despite the horror stories, I've never had a problem."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 20, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had regular periods until suddenly in June 2015 my period started and didn't end. In July I went to my "trusted" family doctor and he assured me that the depo would stop the bleeding. When the nurse was about to administer the shot she warned me and said you should get a second opinion. I was so desperate and I trusted my family doctor so I decided the get the shot anyway. Not only has the bleeding not stopped, its worsened. It is so bad that when I step out of the shower I have to use it tissue so it doesn't drip on the floor. I have been bleeding for 3 months. I finally went to my gyno and he said I should never have gotten it in the first place and there is nothing he can do. I need to let it bleed out. Never again. "

Sara. S August 19, 2015

For Birth Control "Its a great contraceptive, I cant possibly get pregnant Why? Because I've had my period for 6 weeks!This is seriously the worst thing I've ever had."

Rachaeld (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2015

For Birth Control "Depo was not for me, but that does not mean it won't work for you! It definitely did its job preventing pregnancy. I was told the shot lasted 3 months. After my three months, I didn't go back to get another shot because my husband and I wanted to have a baby. It didn't happen for over a year AFTER those three months passed. We had another child, so it wasn't because I'm not fertile. I was also suicidal after getting depo. Not your average depressed, but actually suicidal and so crazy depressed that I wanted to die and had no clue why. I lost a lot of hair when I would brush it. I didn't gain weight. My worst side effect was the depression. It was unbearable to the point that I almost took my own life.. But it surely can prevent pregnancy."

Maryelyse93 August 17, 2015

For Birth Control "I've been on this medicine for 2 years now and have not had any negative side effects. For those of you reading this you shouldn't let somebody else's review determine what her or not you take this medicine, that should be decided after a long talk between you and your doctor. Every body's body is different so these reviews can not give a completely accurate description of what's going to happen to your body. I'm my experience I had irregular bleeding for about 4 months but that is the time it took my body to adjust to the medication. If you have irregular or constant bleeding for more than six months, which is two cycles of the medication then you may want to talk to your doctor because the medication might not be the right one for you."

AshleyMay August 15, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had no negative side effects wit this birth control. I have tried about ten different kinds of birth control pills before trying Depo and all of the pills made me an emotional mess. I have no complaints about Depo, I didn't gain weight, no periods, no crazy emotions."

Anonymous August 14, 2015

For Birth Control "I didn't get pregnant, which is the only reason I'm rating this a 2. I have been bleeding for 56 days straight as of today. Since I got the shot, I have experienced severe fatigue, 1-3 hour long headaches, appetite issues, inability to get out of bed, and horrible cystic acne."

locogracie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2015

For Endometriosis "I have been on the shot for almost two months and I absolutely hate it. When I got the shot I was actually due for my period and never got it. I ended up getting my period about 2 weeks ago and have not stopped bleeding. I can not have sex, I can't wear white pants because it's so heavy, I can't go to the bathroom ( number 1 or number 2) because it hurts so bad, I have had horrible cramps, I don't sleep, I'm exhausted all the time, and I am constantly feeling grumpy. At this point I almost feel like nothing is going to help my endometeriosis, I'm 22 years old and due to be married in a month and I can't even have sex because it hurts so bad.... I would not recamend this shot, it's a waste of time and causes false hope."

Allishaew August 13, 2015