User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Amenorrhea 4 reviews 25 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 260 reviews 162 medications

3.9
Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 696 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Depo-Provera

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was given the depo shot on December 12th. My next Cycle should of started around January 12th. They have been pretty consistent for years. Even though my cycle started on time I have been bleeding more than a month. I usually bleed for 7 days with 3-4 of them really heavy and I had a lot of pain where I couldn't even walk. Now I have been spotting the majority of this month with light bleeding. I have only had 1 heavy day and that was after intercourse when I thought my spotting was stopped. This messing with my sex life and I'm tired of walking around with a pad or pantie liner on. I hope it gets better over the next 2 months or I will not be getting a second shot. I haven't had any side major side effects."

Kimmy40bbbb February 8, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was on depo before I had my first child 3 years ago then stopped, I had regular periods then. I recently had another baby July 2015 and got my depo shot October 2015. The first couple weeks were fine no bleeding. I got my first period after the shot November 28 and it didn't go off until December 14. My menstraul came on again January 8th 2016 and today is February 7th 2016 and I am STILL BLEEDING! Almost A MONTH STRAIGHT. I'm so frustrated and going through pads like crazy. I'm due for my next shot tomorrow but I doubt I will be making that appointment. Depo is really making me miserable."

JM80 February 7, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Got the shot in December 2015 was fine until I was due for my period in January. Spotting started and after sex it would get worst. It kept going through the whole period and ovulation, till about a week ago when it stopped. Today I'm due for my next period. Don't know if it'll started again or if I'm good or not. I will not be continuing with the shot. I'm hoping I can find a good birth control pill instead."

Kori32 February 6, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got the Depo shot in Aug. of 2015. My husband had just gotten home from the army and we did not want children until I finished college. The 1st shot cycle I did not get my period but we were still using other forms of contraceptive just in case. During the 2nd shot cycle I started lightly spotting but the doctor told me that was normal. I noticed the spotting was not going away throughout the entire 3 months and decided I did not want to go in and get my 3rd shot. I had gained weight, was irritable, and my sex drive had significantly decreased and was beginning to take a toll on my marriage. It has now been exactly 32 days since I should have gotten the 3rd shot and I am still bleeding extremely heavily, everyday and absolutely miserable."

Emy15 February 5, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Started the depo shot in May 2015 haven't had another shot since and still dealing with constant sometimes very very heavy periods and its February 2016...7 MONTHS!"

WarningInPain February 4, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have been bleeding for 5 months now. I only got one shot and ever since I didn't get the second its been non stop heavy bleeding for two months. All I can ask is when is the bleeding and depression and headaches stop."

This bcontrol sucks February 3, 2016

For Birth Control "I got my first depo provera shot in May of 2015. I bled for two months straight, but I was warned that this would happen. It was annoying in the summer but it wasn't super heavy and it all stopped one day. Now, I've gotten the shot 3 more times (I think) since then and I haven't bled a drop! I don't know why everyone says they've bled so much. Also, I'm very happy and I've lost 10 pounds since before my first shot. This birth control is the best! I'm only in my first year of it, so I hope I'm not speaking too soon, but it has been a blessing. I would also just like to note, however, that I received my first shot while I was on the 1st day of my period. I think this is important, because the doc said so. Good luck!"

meviieee! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 3, 2016

For Birth Control "My experience with the shot was horrible. It only took one shot for me to turn down the rest. I got the shot 5 months after having my first baby. NO sex drive, it was gone. I had mood swings. missed my period, I like my period (I never missed a period aside from being pregnant) I suffered depression that felt like a very bad case of postpartum depression. It caused ovarian cysts to develop and rupture (ending up in abdominal bleeding) Energy was very low. It caused bad headaches. Vision problems. Only good thing that came from it was that I gained some much needed weight. Overall this isn't something I would personally recommend. I also was angry that my doctor didn't do her job and tell me what the positive and negative side effects were"

Nikkole24 February 2, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "First few months was great! No bleeding, no worries, just safe sex... Then I took my third shot... I started spotting then I was just like a regular period every single day! My vagina smelled no matter how much I washed up, sex was always a mess to clean up, and really the sight of blood from down there is absolutely disgusting! My sisters told me I could become anaemic due to the blood loss and iron decrease in my body! Sure I feel fine despite the fact that I'm always bleeding but in the long run it wasn't helping me and being a vegetarian didn't make it any better! Anyways I'm deciding to switch to the pill I'm not sure how this is gonna work... Don't know if the bleeding will stop.. I just hope I won't be bleeding everyday!"

Nancebot February 2, 2016

For Birth Control "Horrible drug. After the second shot I started bleeding a full period everyday. Would have to change my feminine product at least three times a day. My doctor suggested doing a third shot just to make sure it was in my system like it was suppose to be. After having the third shot with no improvement I switched to the pill. I still have the depo shot in my system though and am still bleeding. I am bleeding so heavy I have blood clots and have to change my feminine products five times a day on average. Would not recommend this product to anyone. Definitely not worth the 50/50 risk."

RosyRoo February 2, 2016

For Birth Control "I am only limited to a few options because I am on Seizure meds, before the meds I responded very well to the pill! This is my 3rd Depo Provera shot and I feel like a completely different person for the worst.. I have no sex drive, I have panic attacks daily, my hair started falling out, I literally sit in my room depressed when I'm not working, my vision changed, I have upper back pain and neck pain, I am tired all the time.. I miss the girl I used to be before this Injection.. My bloodwork is perfect, I've had several test done. This drug is a poison and I can't wait until March for me to decline to never get it again!"

KaylaJo14 February 1, 2016

For Birth Control "April 1st 2016 will be 20yrs I've been on the shot. It's awesome. I haven't had a period in that time. I average about 3lbs a yr it varies. I've tried other birth control it made me bleed severely. I recommend the shot to older teenagers and older ladies if they don't wanna end up pregnant."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) February 1, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding ""Birth control will relieve cramps!" she said. Initially she put me on a combination pill and all was fine until I had an allergic reaction. She thought putting me on this darn shot would be a better idea and I trusted her. All was fine for about a month until I started to feel physically repulsive. Mind you, this has never been an issue with me. My breasts look like nubs i. e. lost their perkiness and my stomach looks like I ingested an entire inflated balloon. I also have chest acne which has never been a problem for me, even as a teen. I constantly feel disgusted with myself. Is it in my head? Maybe, but I hate feeling gross all the time. My boyfriend is still weirdly attracted to me. I refuse to get this again."

Aherne January 31, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've been on the shot since december 17th 2015 and I started bleeding on the 3rd of janurary and I havent stopped yet idk what to do"

tbabytutu January 31, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had my first deposit injection 22/01/16 when my 3rd baby was 13 weeks old, I had already been 3 days into a period and came off the day after. Sunday night I started bleeding really heavy and dark with tiny clots. I've been on and off, really heavy to really light everyday, I know it's only 8 days but I had just had a period so no need for bleeding. Really annoyed as last time I used the depo almost 4 years ago I had phantom movements and felt pregnant all the time so has taken me this long to give it another go and it's not going great from the off!!"

H_M89 (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2016

For Birth Control "It made me have psychotic episodes. It made me gain weight. I was super moody. I had thoughts self harm."

Ashman6 January 29, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I took DEPO around June 12th of 2015, and the effects are still lasting. After being off depo for about 6 months my periods are absolutely crazy, I have one every two weeks that's super heavy. Not only the but while on depo I was super depressed and I was almost to the point of suicidal, which I never have been before. It works well from protection from pregnancy however, within those three months I had unprotected sex over 10 times and did not get pregnant. But I do NOT recommend depo for anyone. It honestly messes with your period cycle for such a long awful time, I regret it immensely."

I hate depo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I went on depo because I have horrible long periods and was constantly forgetting to take my pills which was makin my periods worse. I got my first shot on the first day on my period about a year ago and within two days my period was gone. I spotted a little the next month but haven't bled at all since! It's been amazing. I have been very good about getting my shots every 3 months on the day. My body did not react well to estrogen but reacts very well to the hormones in the shot. My acne got slightly worse but I also lost about 10 pounds since I've been on it. I love the depo shot! I haven't had my period or period side effects and almost a year and it's made my life so much better."

Anonymous January 28, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "My first Depo injection was August 16th 2015. After one month of being on the shot I began to have light pink bleeding then a few days later it turned into heavy bleeding for two weeks. It eventually stopped but about two weeks before I was due for my next shot (Nov 7 2015) I began to bleed heavily again! I got the injection and after about a week the bleeding stopped. I bleed for two weeks every 5 weeks or so. Now I've just received my third injection (January 26 2016) and the bleeding has stopped but it continues to come back. I've been on Depo for a total of 5 months. It's helped a lot with cramps but being on my period is not nice to deal with all the time :("

JordanAsia (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 28, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I received the shot 20 days ago and have been bleeding every day since! My doctor gave me pills after me having my period for 2 weeks and said it would stop my period. All that did was make it lighter. I am supposed to take the pills for 10 days. So far it has been 9 and I am still bleeding. I will not get this again! I only got it because of the nausea I would get from the pills I was on before and my heavy periods and bad cramps. But this is not worth it!"

K07 January 24, 2016

For Birth Control "I have recently gotten of the shot, but I was on it for about a year and a half. I got on it when I was 17, for my periods, and it does indeed live up to its name for stopping periods. However, I gained about thirty five pounds on the shot. I'm very active, and have a proper diet for a girl my age, so it's likely the hormones. But that's not the reason I got off it, I started lactating out of my breasts about a month ago. Yes, I told my doctor and we took 2 pregnancy tests, and I am not pregnant. So, in short, I'll give you a quick pros and cons list Pros: Prevents pregnancy (I do not use condoms with my partner), stops periods Cons: weird side effects, mood swings, nausea, constipation, weight gain, breast growth, hair loss, fatigue."

Meatballprincess0808 January 23, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was on Depo for 2 and a half years. My shot was due Dec 4th 2015. I decided not to get it any longer. I been spotting on it on and off for the entire 2yrs. My Gyne made me get an ultrasound back in October everything checked out fine. Every time I use to have sex with my BF afterwards I would always bleed very lightly. I decided not to get my last shot that was due in Dec 2015. Of course me and my BF have been having protected sex since, and to my surprise the bleeding after having sex stopped. I have taking about 6 pregnancy test all came back negative. Then my period finally showed up on January 22, 2016 and these cramps are the absolute worse. I started with a light pink wipe now it's a heavy menstrual cycle"

shelly C January 23, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have took the depo shot 2 times in a row and the bleeding has not stopped. It's been going on almost 6 months so the doctor gave me the nuva ring. The doctor said that after 2 days the bleeding will stop its been 2weeks and the bleeding hasn't stopped yet. So technically I have the depo shot and the nuva ring in my system and I'm not having any good results."

SJD*** January 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the shot Jan 2014. I bled every day for the first three shots - 9 months. I wasn't allowed to get off of it because my mom was in charge. After the third shot I haven't had a period or spotting since. I have gained a lot of weight, around 50 pounds to this day. I really believe it's because of the shot because my eating habits haven't changed and I work out more now than I did before. The shot doesn't hurt but it feels uncomfortable for about a day or two. I was considering switching to Nexplanon (the implant in your arm) but after reading those reviews I think I've decided to stay with the shot. I haven't gotten pregnant and I haven't had my period since the third shot. If I don't get the weight off soon I will switch."

AnnieHer. January 22, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I started the shot about 4 months ago. The first few weeks it was great and I loved not having to take a pill everyday. Then I started spotting, but I knew it was a side effect and thought it would stop. The spotting/bleeding continued for 3 months, on and off. When I would think it stopped, I'd have sex and it would start bleeding during or after sex. After the 3 months ended I was so excited that I wouldn't have to ruin anymore underwear and buy any more tampons but I was wrong, every now and then I spot and bleed during or after sex. It is annoying and inconvenient. This is a great thing if you really don't want to get pregnant but if it is just for cramps and heavy periods I do not recommend."

Gracedwight January 20, 2016