User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Amenorrhea 4 reviews 27 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 322 reviews 162 medications

3.6
Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 795 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Depo-Provera

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I'm only writing this in response to the numerous complaints of bleeding for months after receiving the Depo shot. When I went in to get mine, after much research on my part (I'd been on the pill before and it completely did not work for me), I had been told about 5 times that the MOST COMMON side effect of this form on birth control is bleeding/spotting for up to a YEAR. I was given my options and understood the risks and side effects. So for people who are surprised or upset about this, maybe your provider was not clear enough or you yourself did not do enough research, but it is a very well known and common side effect. As with many things, you need to let your body get used to it."

EM34 May 2, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "This birth control is the worst ever. Why would doctors even allow something like this to be on the market. Non stop bleeding forever!!!!!!!! Your whole life stops!! Please remove it!"

Mzannoyed (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got my first depo shot the beginning of March. After a week I started bleeding with ceasing. I had to buy depends because the bleeding was so heavy. I've gained 15 pounds since received the shot. I called my doc and got the whole it's a common side effect . I started research and came up with ibuprofen therapy. 3 800 mg a day for 3 days. I also read about birth control pills will stop it as well. I started the ibuprofen Friday and it stopped. Saturday I wiped and it was a little pink. I continued to ibuprofen Saturday all day no bleeding in Sunday it was a oil pinkish. I took a birth control pill Sunday. Monday which is today no bleeding no pink just a lil brown. Took a bc pill this morning no pink no brown so far."

Lady lj (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had one injection of depo provera and honestly the first two months were fine. Now I'm getting tingling all over my body & more sensitive skin and I've been on my period all month when these symptoms started. Honestly I don't like it, I have another appointment to get my second shot I'm trying it for another 3 months then seeing how that goes. Also very horrible cramps"

LillyA April 30, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the depo injection last year and everything was fine, no periods or nothing. Went back this year in March 2016 for the first shot. Had 2 months with out anything periods but all of a sudden I'm having light spotted bleed go and some days they are heavy. It's happened for 6 days now.. Is this normal?"

Lauren 2014 April 30, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got the shot in February 2016 I have been bleeding for 1 month and a half.. This is beyond out of control!!! I'll be getting the pill next week so I can still have a sex life"

Anonymous April 29, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Received first Depo shot in September 2015 began constant bleeding right after. The bleeding varies from light most of the time & sometimes heavy almost like a regular period. It is now April 28, 2016 & I am STILL bleeding. I never recieved second shot. I'm in touch with my doctors who are deciding what to do. I've read I may have to have a DNC which I do not like. I already have pre-cancer cells on my cervix & have to have regular biopsies to monitor it but since the bleeding I have not been able to do any of that. I DO NOT recommend this shot to anyone. The risk & complications for is greater than benefits in my opinion. Try another birth control. *Depo should be taken off the market*"

NikkiiH April 28, 2016

"I have had the shot only once. I didn't get my period the first month which is okay with me. I got my period the second month. It wasn't heavy like normal and only lasted a couple days. However the third month I got my period at the end of the month. My cycle is usually the beginning of the month. I've been bleeding light and heavy for the past week or so. I've had bad cramps and just been depressed. The shot made me gain a lot of weight the first two months now I'm just dropping weight like crazy. I also noticed dryness during sex. I would get the rod but scared because of the reviews back to the pill"

Love 18 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2016

For Birth Control "I was on depo for 5 years and just got off of it 3 months ago to try and conceive. I had never been on any other type of BC with which I could compare it. I found it nice having no period (no planning ahead for trips, no having to buy tampons!) Though it did contribute to an unpleasant vag dryness which I could have done without. Luckily I did not gain any weight in the 5 years of depo, the only caveate being that I monitored my weight more than the average person ever would and I have always exercised and eaten healthy. With that said, however, I did find that I had to try a lot harder to maintain my weight than before depo. I did not notice any other side effects. Having been off it I noticed I am more fatigued than usual."

Liguerr (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 23, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 25 and have been on depo for about 14 months and the only good thing is no periods!! But I still have cramps from time to time.... Since using depo I have been diagnosed with anxiety and outrageous depression to the point I'm on meds... I noticed alot of stomach pain, tingling in hands or feet, feeling nauseated when eating food, hair lost and weight gain. Went from size 16 to 22.. Always in a down mood and it killed my sex drive This drug is definitely not for me... Been off for 4 months now and still no sign of a period.... Hopefully it changes soon"

Queeny26 April 22, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "When I first got the depo shot everything was wonderful. I went 2.5 months with no weight gain nor bleeding. Then the bleeding came the last three weeks. Then I went to take the second shot on march 3rd and I still havent stopped bleeding til this day April 21. So I've been bleeding more than TEN WEEKS! In the past two weeks they have been the heaviest where I've been messing up my undies cause it happens at sporatic times of the day. Like for example I would wake up with a clean pad, take a shower go about half my day then out of no where while I'm out I'd be bleeding. I'm already very anemic and going through this isn't helping my condition. I called my gyn's office and they NEVER got back to me and its been over a week."

Katieholmezz April 21, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I started depo last month of this year the first month was cool but this month got my period not to heavy but been bleeding for almost 2 weeks now don't think I'll get the second shot from what I'm seeing with the reviews thinking of the pill even though it's to late for me now"

Beginner1989 April 20, 2016

For Birth Control "I had two injections of depo-provera when I was 25. The first shot was fine, no abnormal physical side effects, maybe a little spotting during what should have been my menstrual cycle. Then about a month after the 2nd shot I cascaded into a deep depression that involved suicidal thoughts. My libido was also gone and it took over a year after the 2nd and final injection to feel better in terms of the depression. My libido never recovered. I am now 45. My last sexual encounter was when I was 32. I firmly believe that depo-provera is responsible. But hey, bright side, right? I didn't get pregnant :/"

MaryofCalifornia (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 20, 2016

For Endometriosis "I've had a horrible experience with this shot. I only wish I have read all of the horror reviews before getting it to save myself a year of hormonal problems and a scarred face from a cystic acne breakout. Once I got the shot I got online and started reading the reviews and was horrified because part of me knew I made a huge mistake- and oh did I. I bled for 6 months straight! I was practically drinking liquid iron by glasses because of how much blood I was losing after getting the shot. I got the shot BECAUSE of painful and heavy bleeding periods! But it only made it much much worse. I finally went back to my docs, they put me on patch that stopped the bleeding"

Moody24 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2016

For Birth Control "After 1 week receiving the shot. I had night sweats for 5 days. I been having severe anxiety. My body aches like I have the flu it will be one month I've been on depo the night sweats r away but I'm having pain in my feet and in my knees. The odd thing is instead of gaining weight I'm loosing weight I lost so far 12 lbs in almost a month. I'm starting to spot due to my period always comes on the 20th. Not getting cramping yet. I'm not going to get depo again because the night sweats n leg pain n some minor headaches I don't like. I'm 31 yrs old and a mom of 4. My husband says since the shot he noticed me more down n not in the mood. So I'm certain the depo is causing all this craziness to my body.I'm getting blood work done to c if its my thyroid"

31yrmomof4 April 18, 2016

For Birth Control "It's my first time taking birth control decided to go with the shot I did a lil research and wished I saw this sooner..about 95% of the women who tried this shot had terrible experiences ..I've started depo about a month ago and everything was fine..I am now in my 2nd month and received my first period I have been bleeding for almost a week my cycle is normally 6 days so I figured it is normal but after reading these reviews im a lil scared and have decided to discontinue the shot hopefully I do not have the horrible experience that most of these women had "

Beginner0129 April 18, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got my first Depo Provera injection at the beginning of January 2016. Within the first week I started bleeding, and have now been bleeding everyday since. The bleeding goes from light to heavy, not too bad for cramps. I also have suffered vaginal dryness which has been incredibly uncomfortable. My doctor and I decided for me to go on depo due to me having suspected endometriosis. I did research about depo for a month before hand but I completely regret my decision. I have also lost a lot of hair, been feeling stressed and feeling down and severe acne that has scarred my skin. My doctor encouraged me to get a second shot with the promise of it calming things down but I refused, it has ruined how I feel about myself and wasted money on pads"

AmJackson (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2016

"My Dr. started me on this shot because I have heavy periods and iron deficiency anemia. Got the shot in January 2016...was loving not having periods. Then on March 27, I started my period. It's April 13 now and no signs of stopping. Plus now I have huge dark clots and lots of cramping. It also gave me extreme acne...huge ulcer type zits all over my face, neck, chest and shoulders and total decrease in sex drive. I also now have cysts on my ovaries that they're monitoring. I'm 45 and I don't need the egg baskets or the baby carriage and I'm going to request a total hysterectomy. Sick of the life destroying effects of only one round of this shot. Plus it's definitely not helping with my anemia, only making it worse! Ladies Dont Get This Shot!"

Get ready to hate your life (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have had the first shot of depo and I bleed for 2 months strait I went to the gyno and they had to get the layer of decayed uterin wall and the gyno advised me not get on the depo shot anymore because he's had to many women come in with the same problem. So I would advise get the rod in your arm it's strictly progestin just like depo but you don't have any bleeding at all"

Sidgarrett (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

For Birth Control "WARNING! I received two injections, and it was the worst 6 months of my life. This should come with EXPLICIT warnings, but didn't. I came down with severe anxiety and depression. My life fell apart and I had to leave town to regroup. My interpersonal relationships unravelled. I was so depressed I couldn't move. I saw a pyschiatrist and he suggested that the depression could very well have been due to the depo shot - he's seen it affect others like this as well. Also, I rapidly gained 15-20 lbs. It's been 8 months since my last injection and I am ECSTATIC to report my period finally came back. It can take that long to leave the system! This is a dangerous drug. Monitor your mental health closely. In fact don't do it"

dv43 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got the depo injection in August 2015. After a week I started spotting which continued until my next injection in November. The GP said the bleeding would stop soon after I had the next injection so I agreed and get shot number 2. I continued to bleed into February 2016 and decided not to get a third injection. I continued to bleed after 2 weeks so went on the pill. This stopped the bleeding but the pill gave me migraines (which is the reason I went on depo) so I stopped taking it after a month. And within the week I was bleeding again. It's now April 2016 and I'M STILL BLEEDING! When is it going to stop?! I went to the gp for blood tests and I'm now low in iron because I've basically been bleeding for 6 WHOLE MONTHS."

AuroraB (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2016

For Birth Control "I received my depo shot 6 weeks after giving birth. February 15 2016 is the day I got it to be exact. This has been the worse experience of my entire life. Constant bleeding on a daily basis. I hear the medicine stays in the system 3 months. I hope after it wears off the bleeding would come to an end. I don't know when I'm having my regular period. Acne has come to my face and I can't get rid of it for anything. I have had anxiety and stress. I can't even be involved with my boyfriend. At first I thought something really was wrong with me until reading related issues on here. Now I know it's the shot. I will never take it again and also wouldn't recommend it to anyone."

blessedat30 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2016

For Birth Control "I've been on depo provera since October I had to switch to this as I was getting migraines from the pill I was on, I've just gotten my 3rd injection 2 days ago. It's the best choice I ever made!! I know a lot of people get bad side effects but I got none, I got no bleeding and my periods have stopped completely which is a bonus as I used get extremely bad cramps. I have had an increased sex drive which is a good benefit and if anything my boobs have gotten a small bit bigger and I've maintained my weight! I was put on this merely for contraception as I'm 18 with a boyfriend but I couldn't recommend this more, I read reviews before I got it and was terrified but it's worth a shot if you're unsure!"

Magzx (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2016

For Birth Control "I read all the reviews prior to trying this injection, so i was quite apprehensive. Honestly best contraception i have ever used. Have had no side effects, no bleeding and don't ever get my period and it is 100x more convenient than taking the pill. I have been using it for almost 12 months. My advice for people is don't get too concerned by reading all the reviews, obviously drugs react with people differently so for some people it may not be suitable but it is great for me!"

Mikaela1234 April 6, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have beeon the depo since sept 2015 and i have been bleeding since (6 months) it has gotten out of control. I have to have an ultrasound done this week to make sure everything is ok. I will not be getting my mext injection."

Heather W (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2016