User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Amenorrhea 2 reviews 27 medications

6.2
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 43 reviews 177 medications

5.7
Endometrial Cancer 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 17 medications Not rated - Be the first
Renal Cell Carcinoma 0 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 269 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Depo-Provera

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: When I first got the shot I skipped my first period and then had really light periods after that for a few months. Then my period started occurring more often. About 2 weeks of bleeding then 1 week off then bleed for 1 week then 1 week off or less then bleed for 2 weeks. Really weird! That occurred for a couple months. Then I started bleeding non stop for awhile. It was really light but who likes bleeding all the time. Finally at about 1 year of sticking it out. I now am back to skipping the first period after getting the shot and sometimes skip the second or sometimes light spotting. I do bleed a little heavier just before my next shot is due. Makes me think it's wearing of too soon. Had no other side effects though.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 6, 2014 7:06 PM

Review by Raven2010:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: My shot ended in August and since then I have been constantly bleeding. I went in and saw a doctor about this issue and they told me to take 3 pain relievers 4 times a day to stop the bleeding. I have tried that and I am still bleeding. I will never get on this shot again. I have been on this shot before and never had issues like this.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2014 9:12 PM

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I started my shot around June of this year and since then I have not stopped bleeding. My doctor is prescribing Nuvaring to put on top of my shot to see if it will stop the bleeding. I will definitely post my results.

September 29, 2014 12:24 PM

Review by Sadie Bady:

For Birth Control: I'm 15 years old. I'm a sophomore in high school. I started taking the Depo-Provera shot around my freshman year. It actually hasn't given me any bad side effects beside loss of hair, I haven't lost a lot a hair, and mood swings. My freshman year I weighed 155 and now I weigh 119. I'm 5'3 and haven't gained a pound from this shot yet. I hate shots but it's definitely worth taking for having no period. I haven't experienced depression or any of the other side effects except the ones listed above. But not everyone is the same. I would recommend talking to your doctor about it before jumping into taking it!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 11:51 PM

Review by key25watkins (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I'm approaching the third calendar shot for me and now that I have began to bleed unexpectedly, I've taken the time to evaluate myself. Since beginning the Depo-Provera in February I've noticed a series of uncontrollable headaches as well as a spike in my blood pressure. I was administered a better dosage of hydrochlorothiazide to reduce the effects of this blood pressure spike but immediately proceeding my dosage I started experiencing this unexpected bleeding. Taken a back by such abrupt change this makes me reflect on the changes my body has experienced throughout the short course being administered Depo. I had even began to experience anxiety here and there, not to mention fatigue. Later came the abdominal cramps and pains with vaginal adverse side effect.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2014 1:53 AM

Review by Pip Nos (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: This shot has caused me so many issues. I got it only once. Before the shot, I had abnormally heavy periods that lasted 6 days, and to be honest I'd rather go back to that. My body has had so many issues. The first month, things were fine. The only issues I had within the first month was headaches and nausea (the nausea got EXTREMELY severe at times, I actually had to grip onto my boyfriend just to get stable or lie on the floor). Then came the second month, EXCESSIVE SPOTTING. I also got major depression and hated everyone. I am currently on my third month of the shot and I am still spotting heavily, and sometimes bleeding. Due to the shot, I am now anemic and facing heading to the ER, but I can't because I do not have insurance.

September 20, 2014 5:33 PM

Review by Jordan111:

For Birth Control: Honestly the best birth control i've been on. I had to switch from the pill to the shot due to medications I am on and I have had no problems with this birth control. Of course I gained a couple pounds but thats just a given. I gained maybe five pounds so nothing drastic. Will continue to use!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2014 3:33 PM

Review by heather red:

For Birth Control: I liked this medication when I first got it but after awhile I started to get migraines, dizziness, hot flashes, weight gain, heavy bleeding and severe depression.

September 19, 2014 8:01 PM

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I got Depo-Provera on June 10 at the hospital after giving birth to my daughter. Today is September 15 and I have not stopped bleeding at all! I also have two friends who have the same problem. This shot is terrible!

September 14, 2014 10:11 AM

Review by Zamora Ivy:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on Depo for 1 year and 5 months and first my periods would last 2 weeks 3 days instead of 5-7 days. After my 3rd shot I had no more periods but lately my last 2 shots I've been spotting due to getting my shots at the 12th week instead of 10-11 week. I've had no complications inspite the 20-25 lbs gain weight from the shot. This September I'm due for another but have decided with my fiance to put a hold on the shots. Just remember ladies everyone's body is different so what may work out for me won't on others if one birth control doesn't cut it for you try another the one that suits you best. Good luck.

September 7, 2014 4:43 AM

Review by 9r9:

For Birth Control: Very effective but bad side effects. I'm 17 and I've had two doses of it but I won't be continuing it. I have gained weight that is IMPOSSIBLE to lose, I get head rushes and I feel dizzy almost every time I stand up and lots of cramping. I stopped getting my period but one every month-two months I have a few drops of blood but that's it. I'm not happy with the shot but it was effective.

September 7, 2014 12:47 AM

Review by Becca1248:

For Birth Control: I started the shot when I was 17 about to be 18. I am now 20 about to be 21. Very effective at preventing pregnancy. However, I have terrible mood swings, migraines, and weight gain. When I started taking Depo I was the healthiest I have ever been. Slowly but surely I put on the pounds and my depression became unbearable! The first year I didn't gain much, maybe ten pounds and went from a size 4 to a size 6. I weighed 135, now I weigh about 170. It's horrendous! I just switched birth control yesterday, so I hope it treats me better than Depo Provera!

August 29, 2014 1:53 PM

Review by Jenniw:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Had the shot once, no bleeding the first two months then the third month a four week long period. Didn't go back (due for another shot May third) and I've pretty much been bleeding/spotting the whole time. April-September and still going strong.

August 22, 2014 4:04 PM

Review by Laysha (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on the shot since April now that I have my second shot. I spotted blood a few times but now there's constant bleeding.

August 14, 2014 11:30 AM

For Birth Control: I'm 32 yrs old. I went on Depo-Provera for 3 months and it was horrible. I constantly felt like I was running a fever and sweating like crazy. I had horrible PMS but no period. The only good thing about it was the convenience.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 10:09 AM

Review by College student (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I started this birth control at 145lbs 5'3 so I was already a little heavy but I was working out and eating healthy to keep losing weight. The first shot seemed fine. By the second shot, I gained 5lbs which I thought was odd but the doctor said it was normal. I then started becoming very depressed and spent most of my days sleeping or in bed. I gained another 10 lbs. when it was time for the third shot. The 3rd shot made me gain 25 more lbs where I was at 185. I always ate relatively healthy and went to the gym. And I decided to not take the 4th shot. And it's been about a month past when I was supposed to take the 4th shot and I'm finally starting to lose weight. I'm at 175 now and still have a long way to go.

August 13, 2014 3:14 PM

Review by _nonthvg (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I only had one shot. It lasts 3 months. During those months I got my period the first month & not the other two. Now I came down to Trinidad on vacation before I was able to get my second shot. Now I've been bleeding for 3 months STRAIGHT. I know this is abnormal. I have the worst cramps, & my whole body hurts.

August 11, 2014 10:30 PM

Review by Confused? (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have been on the Depo-Provera shot for 5 years, I love it, I haven't had a period since I got the first shot. Then one day randomly, I started spotting, I wasn't to concerned at first but the bleeding went on and got heavier over a span of 2 months (I had been trying to get into the doctors but that hadn't been working out). Finally I was able to talk to my doctor and it just turned out to be my body basically adapting to the progestin, so instead of coming in every 12 weeks I come in every 10 to 11 weeks depending on if I start bleeding.

August 11, 2014 5:43 PM

Review by Bianca b:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've had DEPO PROVERA for about two years, for the first couple of months I was bleeding like crazy, then it lightened up to only spotting occasionally and bleeding the week my next shot was due. I gained 5 pounds throughout the two years which was not bad but recently I've been bleeding for almost a week straight it kind of sucks because I have a boyfriend and I want to have sex, I just have to deal with maybe the next time I'll get the shot it won't be as bad. If the bleeding continues as it does now I might just go back on the pill.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 10, 2014 9:15 PM

Review by Anonn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: My first shot of depo was great, no mood swings or any other side affects other than some very light spotting. Happy with my first shot, I got a 2nd but it didn't turn out as the first shot did. I'm happy because there's no mood swings or really any mental side effects which is why I switched from the pill. However, I was told my period would completely go away or just be light spotting, but for some reason I have now been having a normal/heavy period for over a month now which concerning. I've also been experiencing a lot of headaches, and cramps that can get so bad they'll sometimes wake me up from dead sleep. I'll be going to the doctor soon to get off of this, blood loss is not fun :c don't think this is super common though

August 9, 2014 1:46 PM

Review by emlee_ (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I am 17 and have been on Depo for 3 months. I started off with no side effects for the first 3 weeks, until I was late for my period by 2 weeks, then when I eventually had my period I have been spotting for the last 6 weeks. Which is really becoming annoying and making me feel depressed. I haven't lost my sex drive, but I have had major mood swings and sore breasts for the past 2 months. I feel as though I will keep using Depo for the next 2 shots and see if anything changes, because overall I feel as though minus the spotting it is beneficial.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 7, 2014 5:25 PM

Review by Raye1:

For Birth Control: I am 25 and I have been on Depo-Provera for about 3 years. My mother is my doctor so she warned me about the weight gain. I somehow lost 5lbs once I started taking it. My weight has been up and down for the past 2 years but I don't think it is due to the shot. Its my love of food. Anyways, the shot is great; every 3 months. I haven't had a period for 3 years. Spotting every now and then but that's okay. I am very worried about getting off of the shot but I will prepare for that when the time comes.

August 4, 2014 6:06 PM

Review by Overbleeding (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had my first shot and the first three months were fine. After the second shot I haven't stopped bleeding. When I was due for my third shot my doctor advised against having it. It should have worn off by now. I am still bleeding, now five months after my second shot, it feels like it is never going to stop.

July 26, 2014 1:07 AM

Review by Bethany1234:

For Birth Control: I gained 40 pounds on Depo Provera shot.

July 24, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: When I was 16 I had the WORST period. Major cramps to where I couldn't go to school, bloated super bad. So my dr. Recommended the shot. I got it. And since then I've had not even the slightest spotting. And it's been 2 years. One night the condom broke completely and I was so worried. But didn't get pregant. I've gained 5-10 pounds over the course. But I for sure recommend.

July 21, 2014 8:51 PM