User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Amenorrhea 4 reviews 27 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 329 reviews 162 medications

3.5
Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 808 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Depo-Provera

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Started depo in Nov 2015 Wasn't too bad at first but I did get the occasional spotting and bleeding.Which sucked because it always happened when I went to see my bf(long distance relationship) Got my 2nd shot and the doctor said after this the bleeding should stop. A day later no bleeding. I was like great. Went to Jamaica in April. 2nd day im there, I start getting these cramps so I decide to go to the bathroom and check and wtf do I see? Blood. Since April 19th I have not stopped bleeding. It's now May 26th. It does say that if the bleeding persists for more than 14 straight days, to contact your doctor. Which I did He said that this wasn't for me at all and I'll be switching to the pill."

Kori33 May 25, 2016

For Birth Control "The first 3 times I had this shot, I bled in the 2 weeks leading up to when I was due, but otherwise had no periods. However, I switched to a new doctor who recommended I should be getting the shot every 12 weeks, as opposed to 3 months and since doing that, I haven't bled once and it's been over 2 years. I do notice the area of the shot is quite sore for 2 - 3 days after, but it's nothing I can't handle. My biggest complaint would be the effect this has had on my skin. I had reasonably clear skin before taking this shot and I would describe it as normal - combination. It is now super oily and I have moderate acne, which flares up badly every time I get the shot. Overall, I am very happy with depo, it is cheap and no need for daily pills!"

Depo is great May 24, 2016

For Birth Control "I started depo provera IM after the birth of my son. I never had regular monthly periods before so the injection completely stopped my period while on it. I went off it one year to attempt another pregnancy and it took almost a year for my period to return. I went back on it after deciding against a second child. The only issue I had with the IM injection was a heightened feeling of irritability/anger and soreness at the injection site for a day or two. When depo provera was switched to SQ it alleviated any irritability the day after. I've only had good experiences with depo provera."

Pearlaabsinthe (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 22, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Horrible I've had my period for 8 months still have it after getting my first shot in November 2015."

Emilyann0317 May 20, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "i got the depo shot a month ago and its been the worst experience of my life! i havent stopped bleeding, i have horrible mood swings, im always depressed, im losing weight and its basically ruining my life. i hate this shot, its side effect are horrible. i do not recomment it all!"

leah27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016

For Birth Control "If i could rate this a 0 i would. Worse thing ever! I have been spotting for a month and no sign of it going away. I have crazy and horrible mood swings, i feel depressed most of the time (I've never suffered from depression) i feel tired and sick all the time,constant headaches and weight loss. I will never again get this shot it is THE WORST and should be banned. Its killing me and ruining my life. I can't wait for the 3 month effect to be over so i can go back to normal again"

Angry bird May 18, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I'm 18 and I started the depo shot on March 1, 2016. The shot was wonderful all the way up to May. What they say is true. The first two months were great, but now I've been heavily bleeding for 2 1/2 weeks. Because I suffer from migraines, I can't take "normal" birth control. The progestin ones only. So I was only offered 3 options: the depo shot, pills that caused me to have 3 periods in one month, or a foreign object in my arm. I'm totally done with birth control which sucks. I want to have a baby sometime in my life, so I don't want the decisions I make now to affect my fertility in the upcoming years. I would NOT recommend the depo shot. The negatives HEAVILY outweigh the goods."

Madison18 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2016

For Birth Control "I have was on the shot for 5 years. I got off In July of 2015. I have started bleeding uncontrollably for 3 days now. My camps are excruciating. Stopping the shot sucks. But being on the shot for 5 years were a great. I had no periods and it was easy."

Tasha Derby May 14, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got the depo shot January 2nd 2016 after repeated miscarriage to allow myself time to heal before trying to conceive again. I have now bleed for over 5 MONTHS! Non stop! I've gone to reproductive clinic which is costing a fortune just trying to stop the bleeding with progesterone treatment and nothing is working! My work up is normal no thyroid issue or other causes. It is the depo shot , I wasn't told by my pcp that this could happen! I will never be able to conceive like this. I feel so robbed . I had one shot only"

5 months of agony (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "So my doctor put me on the shot after a hormone treatment stopped working. I had heavy periods and unbEarable cramps. The depo shot worked really well for the first two shots. I only had bleeding when it was time for a shot. After my third shot I hVe had not stop bleeding. I think I'm going to try one more shot and see if anything changes. Other then the bleeding I have had almost not side effects. I have lost weight since going on it. Overall I think it worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Depo is the worst decision i made in my life i got my first shot feb 2016 and its now may 2016 and im still bleeding . im angry everyday because of the bleeding it will not freaking stop . i want to have sex again but i cant but i will be going in to the doctors to tell them i want the pill and if they deny im going to planned parent hood to get the pill there . depo is the worst thing ever id rather not be on anything ."

candy47 May 10, 2016

For Endometriosis "I have been on MANY birth control pills and hardly any of them were beneficial to me. I switched to this injection and I'm so happy I did. I started birth control when I was 15 bc my cramps were unbearable. Endometriosis runs in the fam. I also had bad acne so I was trying to alleviate both of those issues. The depo shot didn't affect my acne in any way but it has almost completely diminished my cramps. The first 3 months were rough. didn't bleed for a month and 1/2 after getting it, but then I bled until it was time for my next shot. I got my second shot and didn't have my period for three months. It was AWESOME. Spotting around the due date for next shot is normal. Oh and the shots are painless. Stick through the rough first months!"

Ckw56 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2016

For Birth Control "DO NOT TAKE IT!!!! Ever since I got my first shot in January 2016, I haven't stopped bleeding. (It's May 2016). It gives me horrible cramps, mood swings, and decrease in breast size. I had basically all the bad symptoms from this birth control... Please DON'T take it. I've been bleeding for 4 months straight and it's driving me insane. Please pray for me that this will end soon."

Worst decision of my life May 4, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I'm only writing this in response to the numerous complaints of bleeding for months after receiving the Depo shot. When I went in to get mine, after much research on my part (I'd been on the pill before and it completely did not work for me), I had been told about 5 times that the MOST COMMON side effect of this form on birth control is bleeding/spotting for up to a YEAR. I was given my options and understood the risks and side effects. So for people who are surprised or upset about this, maybe your provider was not clear enough or you yourself did not do enough research, but it is a very well known and common side effect. As with many things, you need to let your body get used to it."

EM34 May 2, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "This birth control is the worst ever. Why would doctors even allow something like this to be on the market. Non stop bleeding forever!!!!!!!! Your whole life stops!! Please remove it!"

Mzannoyed (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got my first depo shot the beginning of March. After a week I started bleeding with ceasing. I had to buy depends because the bleeding was so heavy. I've gained 15 pounds since received the shot. I called my doc and got the whole it's a common side effect . I started research and came up with ibuprofen therapy. 3 800 mg a day for 3 days. I also read about birth control pills will stop it as well. I started the ibuprofen Friday and it stopped. Saturday I wiped and it was a little pink. I continued to ibuprofen Saturday all day no bleeding in Sunday it was a oil pinkish. I took a birth control pill Sunday. Monday which is today no bleeding no pink just a lil brown. Took a bc pill this morning no pink no brown so far."

Lady lj (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had one injection of depo provera and honestly the first two months were fine. Now I'm getting tingling all over my body & more sensitive skin and I've been on my period all month when these symptoms started. Honestly I don't like it, I have another appointment to get my second shot I'm trying it for another 3 months then seeing how that goes. Also very horrible cramps"

LillyA April 30, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the depo injection last year and everything was fine, no periods or nothing. Went back this year in March 2016 for the first shot. Had 2 months with out anything periods but all of a sudden I'm having light spotted bleed go and some days they are heavy. It's happened for 6 days now.. Is this normal?"

Lauren 2014 April 30, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got the shot in February 2016 I have been bleeding for 1 month and a half.. This is beyond out of control!!! I'll be getting the pill next week so I can still have a sex life"

Anonymous April 29, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Received first Depo shot in September 2015 began constant bleeding right after. The bleeding varies from light most of the time & sometimes heavy almost like a regular period. It is now April 28, 2016 & I am STILL bleeding. I never recieved second shot. I'm in touch with my doctors who are deciding what to do. I've read I may have to have a DNC which I do not like. I already have pre-cancer cells on my cervix & have to have regular biopsies to monitor it but since the bleeding I have not been able to do any of that. I DO NOT recommend this shot to anyone. The risk & complications for is greater than benefits in my opinion. Try another birth control. *Depo should be taken off the market*"

NikkiiH April 28, 2016

"I have had the shot only once. I didn't get my period the first month which is okay with me. I got my period the second month. It wasn't heavy like normal and only lasted a couple days. However the third month I got my period at the end of the month. My cycle is usually the beginning of the month. I've been bleeding light and heavy for the past week or so. I've had bad cramps and just been depressed. The shot made me gain a lot of weight the first two months now I'm just dropping weight like crazy. I also noticed dryness during sex. I would get the rod but scared because of the reviews back to the pill"

Love 18 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2016

For Birth Control "I was on depo for 5 years and just got off of it 3 months ago to try and conceive. I had never been on any other type of BC with which I could compare it. I found it nice having no period (no planning ahead for trips, no having to buy tampons!) Though it did contribute to an unpleasant vag dryness which I could have done without. Luckily I did not gain any weight in the 5 years of depo, the only caveate being that I monitored my weight more than the average person ever would and I have always exercised and eaten healthy. With that said, however, I did find that I had to try a lot harder to maintain my weight than before depo. I did not notice any other side effects. Having been off it I noticed I am more fatigued than usual."

Liguerr (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 23, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 25 and have been on depo for about 14 months and the only good thing is no periods!! But I still have cramps from time to time.... Since using depo I have been diagnosed with anxiety and outrageous depression to the point I'm on meds... I noticed alot of stomach pain, tingling in hands or feet, feeling nauseated when eating food, hair lost and weight gain. Went from size 16 to 22.. Always in a down mood and it killed my sex drive This drug is definitely not for me... Been off for 4 months now and still no sign of a period.... Hopefully it changes soon"

Queeny26 April 22, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "When I first got the depo shot everything was wonderful. I went 2.5 months with no weight gain nor bleeding. Then the bleeding came the last three weeks. Then I went to take the second shot on march 3rd and I still havent stopped bleeding til this day April 21. So I've been bleeding more than TEN WEEKS! In the past two weeks they have been the heaviest where I've been messing up my undies cause it happens at sporatic times of the day. Like for example I would wake up with a clean pad, take a shower go about half my day then out of no where while I'm out I'd be bleeding. I'm already very anemic and going through this isn't helping my condition. I called my gyn's office and they NEVER got back to me and its been over a week."

Katieholmezz April 21, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I started depo last month of this year the first month was cool but this month got my period not to heavy but been bleeding for almost 2 weeks now don't think I'll get the second shot from what I'm seeing with the reviews thinking of the pill even though it's to late for me now"

Beginner1989 April 20, 2016