User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Amenorrhea 4 reviews 27 medications

6.3
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 100 reviews 163 medications

5.5
Endometrial Cancer 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 17 medications Not rated - Be the first
Renal Cell Carcinoma 0 reviews 18 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 389 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Depo-Provera

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Worst decision ever!! Got depo shot after 6wks postpartum thinking it was the most convenient birth control method. Oh, so wrong. Got it 4-17-15, started bleeding 5-1-15, a month after I am still bleeding. Limited sex due to period bleeding, it's not pretty. Terrible mood swings. Increased cravings for sweets and junk food, dizziness, very tired and sleepy. Well its a horror story. I am not going back for a 2nd shot, no way. I will never get another shot of this medicine that transformed me in to a non stop bleeding witch."

patty602 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was on Depo from the ages of 17-21 with absolutely NO problems, NO bleeding, it stopped my periods completely, NO side effects. I went back on the depo August 2013 (currently ages 25-27) and have been getting the shots every 3 months on the first date they are due. I have been spotting/bleeding almost the whole time. When I have sex it seems to make me bleed more. Everything has been ruled out and its just been blamed as a side effect of the Depo from my doctor. I also managed to get pregnant and have a miscarriage while on the shot/on time with each due date. The longer I am on this the more side effects I am starting to get (acne, SEVERE depression, anxiety, and mood swings.) I recommend for younger only."

tiredofbleeding (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 24, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I recently got the deposit shot March 9th for the very first time. And for the rest of the month I didn't have an sign of a cycle. Come April 6th I've been spotting ever since. I even went to the Dr at the end of April to get estrogen pills to stop the bleeding and it stops bit as soon as you stop taking the pills it starts right back spotting again which I stopped taking because it caused a yeast infection, so then I had to get med for that. Here it is the end of May and I'm still bleeding. And come June I'm scheduled for the 2nd shot. There is NO WAY I'm ever getting this again. Can someone tell me when does this ever stop. I even started reading up on natural ways such as herbal stores to help stop the bleeding. What helps?"

furious & frustrated May 23, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had taken the shot shortly after I was 18 I bleed for 6 months with one shot have not ever taken again I'm now 23 and still have side effects. For starters can't get pregnant, shortness of breath, severe cramping worst then I ever had before the shot I would never recommend this"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Why would u make such a awful drug plz discontinue this stuff. I know how it stops you getting pregnant you bleed every freaking day so who would have sex with you - no one. I wanted to take the time out of my day to say this medicine sucks and I hate it. I've gotten only 2 shots and I've been bleeding for 5 weeks . I just wanted to let u know that. Thanks for nothing."

confused4ever (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was on the depo for 5 year an it worked wonders with no periods side effects etc i came off 2 year ago to have my lil girl and went back on to it 8 weeks after giving birth and never again would i recomend it i had my lil girl and depo injection in 2013 its now 2015 an iv been bleeding the whole time since"

henny penny (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 19, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was never into birth control so I have 6 kids. My oldest 7years old. I tried depo shot after I gave birth in November to my 6th baby all natural vaginal births no epidural. This was my first time it was the shot on the booty and arm. I have had nothing but aniexty no its not my kids i never felt this way before and I gained ton of weight more than I usually do after a baby I weigh 160 I usually get down 140 3 months after I give birth. I've been bleeding nonstop. I decided I didn't like the shot I'm getting tons of mood swings more than the ones that I get from pregnancy. I'm just going to tie my tubes. It's a nightmare. It's May now so from November to May I've been bleeding. I went to check my hemoglobin its fine - its just depressing."

mother of 6 May 18, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm just finishing up my first month on the shot and I can honestly say that it's working well. This is my first birth control I've had, and there have only been a couple of side effects. I spotted for about 5 days twice within the first 3 months which isn't bad. But I also experienced some vaginal dryness that required additional foreplay as well as lube at times. Overall I think it's fine considering I don't have to remember it and the spotting I heard gets better over time. I'm due for my next shot in a couple of weeks after which I'll offer another review. So this isn't a bad choice, but with any birth control there are side effects."

TerriBr May 17, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was on the shot for 2yrs straight about 3yrs ago. I absolutely loved it and I would have recommended it any of my girlfriends. I didn't have one period and no cramping for 2yrs! Loved it! Not even 2 weeks after missing my last shot I became pregnant. My daughter was born in 2013, and about 2months ago I started the shot again. Worst decision of my life! I have not stopped spotting! Every damn day for almost 2 months and I'm starting to get really crampy and I've have terrible migraines. I've been having mood swings and I've never experienced anxiety so bad in my life. I would seriously consider looking into the side effects and reading up on the shot before you get it."

Kckckc (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 16, 2015

For Birth Control "I started the depo shot in December didn't Bleed that whole month, January until now we're in May I have not stopped bleeding! So I've been bleeding for six months straight about. And its so heavy, its ruining everything. I'm def getting off the shot and switching."

unknown6 May 15, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Well I had my first 3 months shot on 18th January 2015 and two days after it I started bleeding, I have never stopped and the date today is 15th of may. Quite depressing since it was my first time taking contraception. I had all the possible side effect to be honest. Hot flashes at night, terrible migraines, severe back ache, fatigue, tiredness name it. There was a point i went to doctors everyday but now I got used to feeling ill which is quite sad. So you are taking a risk using Depo-Provera"

si-si14 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Had the shot two years ago and loved it- no periods, no sure effects. I stopped it for a while and got another shot 8 weeks ago. Severe mood swings, painful acne, sore breasts, period pain and migrains! Spotting non stop for 3 weeks.. Will never take the shot again"

MS86 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2015

For Birth Control "I decided to get the shot a month ago. So far I have not had a period at all...which is almost scary but who wants their period anyway? No weight gain as of yet and no hair loss. I almost backed out of getting the shot once I heard a few horror stories. The only thing I have noticed is a little moodiness, which happens to me on the pill too, so nothing new. Not sure about getting the second shot yet...we will see how the next couple months go and if any other symptoms take place, but so far, it has been great :)"

nmiller15 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2015

For Birth Control "I was on this for 5 months and had none stop bleeding. I also experienced severe hair loss, weakness and fatigue (probably due to blood loss), as well as terrible mood swings. The one positive thing was that I had no pregnancy scares in the 5 months I was on it. Was not the birth control for me."

Twiggles (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2015

For Birth Control "I was on the depo shot when I was 18 and had 3 shots and BOY DID I BLEED. the best part was the fact that I never had any cramps but I bled for over 2 years straight and didn't have a regular cycle intill reaching the 3rd year."

abs14 May 8, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have been off the depo shot for about a month now and have been bleeding ever since. Its really become frustrating. I also bleed during but not the whole time i was on the shot. I only took the shot once."

SunSun May 8, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have been on this shot for just about one year. I have had one period since being on it which lasted almost a month not heavy by any means, still very annoying. Not noticed any weight gain but I always go up and down give or take 3 pounds. I would recommend it everyone is different and has different side effects so it is unknown how one persons body will take to it. But worth testing it out. Hated the Pill!"

Cassiiee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 8, 2015

For Birth Control "Honestly everyone's bodies work differently and I've heard horror stories about every type of birth control but this one has been really excellent for me. I've been on the depo shot for 5 years now (planning on switching soon). The shot does sting a bit so be sure it's injected into your hip instead of arm. First month I spotted nonstop, but I haven't had a single period since. No pregnancy scares. Very gradual weight gain for me, 25 lbs over the past five years. Cleared up my acne, have plenty of libido. I give it 10/10."

SaraBug May 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I have actually just had my 5th shot and it's been great for me. Bled on cerazette like crazy so switched to depo injection. My only complaint is that in the 2nd shot I got really bad boob pain and a bit of weight gain. Never had a scare good birth control and also it's every 3 months so no problem!"

Nixi (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 7, 2015

For Birth Control "This is the best birth control I have been on so far! I used to be on the pill and it made my periods irregular, made me gain a crazy amount of weight, made my acne worsen, made me super emotional all the time, and many other bad side effects. I was off birth control for a couple of months and was back to my normal self and actually lost about 50 pounds. My doctor thought I should take birth control again and recommended that I switch to this, so I took a chance. I had one period after I got my first shot (about 8 months ago) and haven't had one since. The only bad side effect that I have had with this shot is I gained a little bit of my weight back."

knsasgrl33 May 5, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I first started the depo shot about 2 years ago. I switched from the Mirena iud because I bled constantly and sex was often very painful. Before the iud my periods were absolutely terrible with extreme cramping and back pain. For two years I loved life with no periods, no spotting and no pain then I missed a shot. I started again about a month ago and today had very dark maroon/brown spotting? Not sure what that means."

Victoria jade May 5, 2015

For Birth Control "I am 18 and have been on Depo since I was 15 due to severe menstrual bleeding. When I first got the shot I noticed my bleeding kept lightening up until my second shot and it stopped all together. I eat like a pig, but that's not really a big deal for me. During the first 4-5 months I lost 40 pounds, and slightly over a year later I've gained 20 back. I know a lot of girls fidget and carry on over the weight issue, but if you exercise daily and eat appropriately, it won't turn into a big deal. I definitely recommend this to my friends who either have bleeding issues or just don't want to get pregnant. Works PERFECTLY in both cases; at least for me!"

Arisa.01 May 4, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "This is HORRIBLE!! I have had the WORST anxiety than ever before and I haven't stopped bleeding for 2 weeks...(I only got this shot 3 weeks ago thinking it would be good) Would not recommend this to anyone..."

Stookystef May 4, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had my second shot about a month ago,I haven't had constant bleeding, every now and then (maybe 5 times since January) I have had spotting. I have experienced some cramps but not as bad as I usually get and I have definitely gained weight. I had sex for the first time since I started the injection and I have been getting cramps and bleeding like I used to before the injection. This has been going on for a week now. I am worried and I'm not sure if this is normal after having sex on the injection. Apart from whats happening at the moment, I personally do recommend this injection. I started it to stop the pain and just have a break from bleeding and it has done exactly what I wanted it to."

1234LKB May 4, 2015

For Birth Control "So yes it's effective, BUT NEVER GET THIS SHOT. I had it 3 times (9 months) worst nine months of my life. Constant spotting and bleeding, never was able to go on the boat because I didn't have enough bleeding for a tampon but would bleed threw a bathing suit, felt very uncomfortable and always had to think about if I was bleeding, never wore white bottoms or pants. It was THE WORST experience of my life. If you see this DONT TAKE THE SHOT."

Bails887 May 3, 2015