User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Amenorrhea 2 reviews 27 medications

6.2
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 63 reviews 177 medications

5.8
Endometrial Cancer 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 17 medications Not rated - Be the first
Renal Cell Carcinoma 0 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 313 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Depo-Provera

Review by Leela1234:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have been on the shot since December 4th 2014, have had a period from January 9th 2015 to the present.

March 16, 2015 9:17 PM

Review by Paiksmedics:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Had abnormal bleeding after getting double dose that was a month before next dose

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 15, 2015 4:43 AM

Review by HighBloodPressure166 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I am 21 years old was placed on this medicine for having high blood pressure and it being an estrogen free birth control. I was terrified or weight gain, spotting, and mood swings, all of which this shot is rumored to do. I have experience absolutely no bleeding since my first shot, got the second shot today and no weight gain (I do exercise daily). I have been somewhat emotional around the time of my normal period, but no more then usual. Overall I love the shot and having no period is a plus all around!

March 11, 2015 1:46 PM

Review by DreaJ:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have been on Depo Provera since Dec. 6, 2015. Started bleeding January 6 2015 and it hasn't stopped since then! I had my second injection last Saturday and I'm hoping that the bleeding will stop. Its effective in preventing pregnancy but Its greatly affecting my sex life.

March 9, 2015 2:58 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I love how all of you say that you can't lose weight on Depo. I gained about 15 pounds, started dieting and exercising, and now I have lost all of that weight and more! Yes I have some spotting, but its better than having to take a pill everyday!

March 1, 2015 6:17 PM

Review by baltimore. mamaj:

For Birth Control: It is effective. However the weight gain of 30 lbs now I need to lose 60lbs. The headaches dizziness and tiredness. Feeling hungry constantly and occasional numbness in my hands and feet. I am thinking of trying Implanon but the reviews don't look so great. Would prefer getting my tubes tied as we have a nice size family. I have been on it 13 months since my youngest was born and I hate that I eat and feel pregnant even though I am not.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 27, 2015 3:52 PM

Review by Reynaaalee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I got the Depo shot in October 2014. It is now February 2015 and I have been either spotting or full on bleeding since then. I can't have sex because I start to bleed as if my period just started. I've been on and off the Depo for 4 years and this is the first time I've had a bad experience with it. I also gained 25 pounds since October, but I eat healthy and go to the gym regularly.

February 26, 2015 7:13 AM

Review by Lacey11091992:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been taking this shot since October. I've been bleeding non stop since December. It went from a 2 weeks period, to a 2 month period. I've taken Meds to help & nothing! This horrible. It's like I'm on the shot for no reason.

February 19, 2015 3:48 PM

Review by Depo user:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have been on the Depo for 13 yrs and it has been great no periods not even spotting but I did however gain a lot of weight and I have experienced headaches but I just stopped because I have been on it to long, it will cause bone loss I probably experienced a lot of the side effects but nothing worse then bleeding and cramping for months at a time I would have definitely go back to it if I could.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2015 5:13 AM

Review by Bec22 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Have been on Depo-Provera almost 3 years since being diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome and endometriosis as it is the only contraceptive my consultant could recommend that doesn't allow ovulation. I can honestly say I find no faults with this contraceptive! I get it every 10 weeks as apposed to every 12 weeks to keep it built up and not allow bleeding, I was on the pill version before and it didn't agree with me but the injection has worked wonders! No pain, nausea, anemia or bleeding! My life has changed because of this medication, I would honestly seek professional advice if you found this didn't work for you as it may just be a case of dosage or time span.

January 30, 2015 9:12 AM

Review by No kids (taken for 10 years or more):

For Birth Control: I have been on Depo for 16 years. It's effective! No kids! I started seeing side effects around year 6 which included a little facial hair. Around year 19 I gained about 25 pounds (I went from 120 to about 145) it's still so worth it. No periods and no cramps after year 1! I take calcium supplements and I lift heavy weights so along with getting bone density test-so far so good.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2015 5:07 PM

Review by Kessma (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I was on Depo-Provera for a few years with one break to try the Nuvaring just because of the bone density loss warnings. I had no weight gain or bleeding or hormone swings, just some occasional crazy night sweats. Then I had my first baby in May 2014 and started Depo in June. It has not been the same experience. My bleeding is irregular and lasts 3 days to 4 weeks and this month has hit me every other week. It is January 2015, and I quit. It just isn't working for me this time around.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2015 6:14 PM

Review by mzdavis:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I received the shot on Nov 22, after having my daughter. It is now Jan 24, and I have been bleeding on and off since receiving the shot.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2015 8:27 PM

For Birth Control: Pros: Effective (Always was on time for my injection) No period No more PMS Cons: Cramping on and off throughout a year on Depo shot Gained 50 pounds within a year Raised blood pressure Nervousness and dizziness

January 19, 2015 8:19 PM

Review by Megan3212:

For Birth Control: I got on the Depo-Provera shot at age 15 and just got off of it at age 20, and I am now on Seasonique (the pill). I didn't realize how awesome Depo was until I switched. Having no periods for 5 years was definitely great, I didn't gain any weight from the Depo even though it made me eat like I was pregnant with triplets for 5 years. There was minimal spotting which I would take over periods any day. I got moody when I started getting close to my next shot due date but that's about it. I would definitely recommend this birth control!

January 14, 2015 10:28 AM

Review by jezlynn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I am 28 yrs old, I have been on the Depo shot for 3 months now to regulate my periods, my first 2 months I didn't get my period at all, no side affects except a headache for the first week. Now into my 3rd month and I have had my period for going on 3 weeks straight and its really stressing me out, I have been irritable these past week, major mood swings and lost my sex drive. And no changes in my weight, but pretty sure I will not continue this method of birth control.

January 13, 2015 4:24 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: It's very effective, I give it that. I didn't get pregnant. I've been on this birth control for 6 months and I've gained 40lbs. Yes.. 40!!! I ate healthy and exercised everyday. I DO NOT RECOMMEND if you want to keep you figure or plan to lose weight.

January 7, 2015 9:39 PM

Review by kaykaykaylakat (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: Effective and not disappointed. After the first 3 weeks on the shot I had heavy period for almost 20 days, but after that absolutely no period, no cramping, spotting, nothing! Some weight gain but I'm successfully burning that off. The only downside is the depression and anxiety, but those are occasional. They only happen within the first couple weeks of taking the shot and I just got my third dose. Love it but it's not for everybody!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2015 7:01 PM

Review by j_la_:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on the shot for about a year and 6 months and am: a). Still having my period irregularly and it will last about 2-3 weeks b). Am on my period now and have been on it so far for 6 weeks

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2015 1:56 PM

Review by 12356:

For Birth Control: I got my first Depo shot November 19th. Since then I only had minor spotting and cramps, no mood swings or major weight gain if anything my weight is far more stable and satisfactory. Although on the 2nd of January I began my normal period again and hoping it will end on the 6th. Definitely would recommend.

January 4, 2015 8:59 PM

Review by Violinent (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: Everyone I talk to seems to have had different experiences with Depo. For me it has been a perfect experience, but my sister had a horrible time with it. I had very light spotting after the first shot during what should have been my monthly period, and since then have had absolutely no period or spotting. My weight has remained at a constant level the entire 4 years that I've been taking it, and I haven't experience moods swings, hair loss, or any of the other common symptoms. My doctor warned me that the shot could make my migraines worse, but I haven't noticed any difference in prevalence or severity. Everyone's body reacts differently, but it is definitely worth trying. I love this form of contraception - no periods and no babies!

January 2, 2015 12:14 PM

Review by lorissa:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I got one shot, September 2013. its now almost January 2014 and I haven't stopped bleeding in over a year!

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 27, 2014 10:00 PM

Review by Tia.123:

For Birth Control: Depo as a birth control I guess it worked, everything else just went wrong! I only had one shot and dont think I will ever go back. Within two weeks of getting the injection I got really bad headache, depressed, abdominal cramps, flash bleeding vomiting , unstable gate , memory loss, my face broke out, lost a bunch of weight, optic nerve damage, I went into svt and the list goes on. My whole life turned upside down. So yes it may work for some people with no side effects but it has damaged my life

December 26, 2014 7:18 PM

Review by youngna (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have been receiving the Depo shot since July 2013. This has been my first and only birth control I've taken and a huge benefit is that I am not worrying about taking a pill. However, for the past 6 months I have experienced spotting. It is not enough blood to need to wear a tampon, however it is very dark blood which stains underwear. This has been extremely frustrating to me and I am now trying to decide what will be my next best option of birth control will be.

December 24, 2014 1:22 AM

Review by Lacey92:

For Birth Control: I'm due for my second shot next week. I'm very torn about getting it. When I got the shot, I didn't have any side effects. (at first) Every month since the shot I bleed for about 3 weeks straight. It really bothers me. One of the main reasons I got on it was to try to help my periods. Just makes them worse!

December 21, 2014 6:50 PM