User Reviews for Depo-Provera

Learn more about Depo-Provera.

Amenorrhea 2 reviews 27 medications

6.2
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 32 reviews 177 medications

6.1
Endometrial Cancer 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 17 medications Not rated - Be the first
Renal Cell Carcinoma 0 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Depo-Provera reviews 247 reviews 6.3

Reviews for Depo-Provera

Review by Overbleeding (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had my first shot and the first three months were fine. After the second shot I haven't stopped bleeding. When I was due for my third shot my doctor advised against having it. It should have worn off by now. I am still bleeding, now five months after my second shot, it feels like it is never going to stop.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2014 1:07 AM

Review by Bethany1234:

For Birth Control: I gained 40 pounds on Depo Provera shot.

July 24, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: When I was 16 I had the WORST period. Major cramps to where I couldn't go to school, bloated super bad. So my dr. Recommended the shot. I got it. And since then I've had not even the slightest spotting. And it's been 2 years. One night the condom broke completely and I was so worried. But didn't get pregant. I've gained 5-10 pounds over the course. But I for sure recommend.

July 21, 2014 8:51 PM

Review by Cookie933 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: I was on the Depo shot for a little over a year and a half. At first I had a very long period (14 days for a few months when my period was generally about 3 days previously). Then I stopped having a period altogether. Its been a month since I was due for my shot. After reading online I was worried that I would be waiting months-year to get my period back after it however, I woke up today and thankfully got it. I've never been so happy to get my period before. I guess I'm one of those lucky few that get their period back as soon as they are off of it.

July 21, 2014 6:26 PM

Review by Meme74 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: My first shot was July 16, 2013, the last shot was March 24, 2014. Four shots total and in that time I had some type of vaginal discharge every month. I wore some type of pantyliner or pad everyday during this time because I never knew if I would have a period. The bleeding wasn't always heavy, but I bled enough that I became iron deficient anemic. I did experience larger than normal clots some months. I wanted to try the full year to see if my periods would ever stop, but the lack of iron made me get off Depo.

July 15, 2014 7:19 PM

Review by emmie3183 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: After 5 years of not getting the shot I decided it was time again endometriosis is very painful and it had returned so it was time. The last Depo Provera shot was great, no periods, no weight gain, no hormonal imbalances. This time I have the hormones of a pregnant woman and I've been bleeding heavily for two weeks since giving myself the shot. I don't have cramping too bad and my face has cleared but this hormonal imbalance, headaches, and heavy bleeding is kicking my butt even more tired than normal.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by Hyaaa74:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I do not like this medicine. I've only had one shot so far. I didn't come on my period for two months now on the third month I've been on for 2 weeks already. The pain is worse then my normal cramps. I'm not getting my second shot. I'm only 16.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 4, 2014 9:10 AM

Review by Twinkx97 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I'm almost due for my 5th shot (almost a year) and I noticed last night that I had some irregular bleeding. Woke up and it had continued. Tad worried but I haven't had anything like this since I got my 2nd shot so I think I'm okay. Will chat to my GP about it when I go for my shot.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2014 9:02 PM

Review by Don't!:

For Birth Control: I am 34 with 3 kids. I tried the pill but had incredibly tender breasts, tried the copper coil for 6 weeks but had cramps and spotting. I thought I'd give Depo Provera injection just one go. I don't think my body likes hormonal contraception. I am constantly bleeding after the injection. AND I suddenly have psoriasis all over my face and hands. Its peeling, red and itchy. I look like someone beat me up! Its embarrassing as you can imagine.

July 2, 2014 9:43 AM

Review by britmarie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I was on the shot for 2 years. I'm 5'3 120 pounds naturally. I weighed up to 130 while on the shot. It is extremely effective for protection against pregnancy. Although I have no sex drive and terrible mood swings and weight gain in abdomen, face and buttocks. The pros would be clear skin and effectiveness against pregnancy but wouldn't recommend it for short term birth control or for women who gain weight easily. Took my body almost a year to regulate itself after stopping.

July 1, 2014 11:54 PM

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on the shot for about 6 months I haven't had a period or spotting except for just recently and I can't seem to use the restroom enough I don't drink that much liquids I've been bloated and having stomach cramps to. I think I'm going to see my doctor to get checked out. Other than that I haven't had any problems with the Depo-Provera.

July 1, 2014 10:58 PM

Review by Kayla Lauren (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: Does its job as a birth control. Convenient that it is only every 3 months and it's discreet. However, the side effects aren't worth it. I had mood swings, increased appetite and cravings, (which lead to a 10 lb weight gain within first 3 months), and constant bleeding for over 2 months. Once I switched to the pill after my first shot, my appetite went back to normal, I'm acting like myself, and the bleeding stopped immediately. I receive free service at Planned Parenthood as a teenager so all of my birth controls are at no cost.

June 29, 2014 9:34 AM

Review by EleanorR96:

For Birth Control: Im 17 years old, 5'4 and weigh 113 pounds. Got my first injection on May 22nd. First few days was fine, got it while I was on my period so it was immediately effective. First week was fine but after a while I began spotting and since then I have been on a constant period with occasional cramps. I already suffer from some anxiety issues which Depo-Provera has intensified but I expected this. Feel dizzy when I'm laying down to go to sleep but its gone by morning. No change in sex drive but I've noticed most people's decrease. The site of injection hurt a little for 3-4 days but now I can't feel it. Have little energy and can't walk to school anymore because I'm constantly too tired. Wont be getting this injection again, going to try Nexplanon implant.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2014 7:27 AM

Review by Cytogirl (taken for less than 1 month):

For Endometriosis: I refused to get the shot because I had researched Depo for a paper in college, but it came down to Depo or severe anemia. So I received the shot and the next morning I was praising Jesus because the shot got rid of the almost constant back pain I'd had for 2 years since delivering my twins. Doctors kept telling me it was a sprained muscle only it never healed, now I believe it was endometriosis.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2014 7:20 AM

Review by barbiiidoll:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on Depo-Provera for 2 years this month. It was great! Had little to no periods, light spotting for a week before I had gotten my next shot. Didn't have to worry about taking pills daily. I had no side effects at all. I was actually losing weight. But, the last shot I had back in March, they informed me that there was a new type of Depo, formula, that took place of the Depo that my body was used to. Ever since then, my period has been not stopped. I gained 20 pounds in one week of water weight. My cramps has been terrible to where I can't eat. I feel as though I'm pregnant at all times. I go Tuesday to either get checked to see if I need to be off it. Anyone else experienced this since they've changed it?

June 4, 2014 9:36 PM

Review by So Cal Megan:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on Depo for 6 months now, it's almost time to get my third shot. After my very first shot I had no bleeding at all for two months, just random cramps that were kind of annoying. Then at the third month I spotted very lightly for a week, then bled normal for about a week, then bled really really heavy for a few days. Then it stopped and I got my second shot. Two and a half months with no bleeding after the second one, then spotted lightly for over a week and no heavy bleeding. It seems to get better so I can't wait for the bleeding to stop completely. Also the only other side effect I have noticed is increased nervousness/anxiety. I have had a few anxiety attacks at night and I thought I was having a heart attack but it was nothing.

June 3, 2014 1:22 AM

Review by Polandspring:

For Birth Control: I am 17, 5'5 weighing 145lbs. I started the Depo shot a little more than 3 months ago. The first time I received the shot, within 3 months I've lost 9 pounds. Normally I get nauseous from birth control but the only con I've experienced was anxiety. I recently just got the second shot and the amount of anxiety attacks are ridiculous. Lost my appetite for a week, lost a few pounds from that. Before I took the shot, I rarely had anxiety. Also, I spot once a month extremely lightly, rarely get cramps. No bad mood swings!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 1, 2014 1:41 PM

Review by Jadey123x (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: I had this Depo for two years and as much as it was easier with no pill no period etc it ended up the worst thing I've ever had I have developed cystic acne hard nodular lumps under my skin which have left me depressed with how they look. They were awful and my hair was shedding rapidly. I went to the doctor and came off it he put me on Dianette and advised to take it the first day I come on. 3 months in and no proper period. One weekend I suffered severe and I must emphasize severe pain and cramping I could not move and was having very dark blood clots. To this day my skin is still awful I am now on lymecyline and the doctors told me to use the Dianette contraceptive for my skin anyway. I have never ever had skin problems previous to this.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2014 4:40 PM

Review by Stacey Delaney (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I loved the fact that I had to go in only every 3 months but didn't take the time to realize and read the side effects and that it made me gain quite a bit weight I was like 135lbs and then got up to 140lbs something.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 23, 2014 5:47 PM

Review by Scared as f*** (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: So, I started this because I'm terrible with rememebering to take the pill daily. I absolutely LOVED the fact that I only had to go in every 3 months to get it done. The shot was very minor, with little to no pain. For the first three months it was heavenly, I had no side effects, and no period what so ever. But the road after that was hell. I gained a total of 40 pounds (in 6 months) due to the fact that I was hungry all the time. I was very moody and depressed also. Not only that, but I basically lost all my sex drive, and the majority of the time on the shot I spotted, and when I wasn't spotting, I was on my period.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2014 10:38 PM

Review by Tiffnaayyyy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I am 25 years old and have been on Depo-Provera for around 3 years. I have very little side effects & absolutely love not worrying about pregnancy or periods! I can't imagine going back to having a monthly period, I am very content with my light spotting every three months a week before my next shot. I never plan on having children so I have no problem staying on this long-term. I've been losing/gaining 20 pounds on and off many years before I started Depo, and considering I do not exercise I cannot blame any weight gain on this. My only concern is bone density loss. I eat calcium rich vegetables daily & take vitamin D, but may start calcium supplementation as well depending on my results from a bone density screening.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 9, 2014 2:56 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I have been on Depo since last August (3 shots). I love it! I had two pill pregnancies, so obviously, I had to get on something that I didn't have to worry about remembering. In the first 4 months, I did have some bleeding issues (I would spot for weeks at a time), but I haven't had a period in a long time. I haven't experienced any of the other side effects either. I love it and I recommend it all the time!

April 30, 2014 4:59 PM

Review by anonymous2015:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on the shot for about two years now and I've only spotted a few times here and there. I did gain almost 40 pounds though. I do like not having to worry about a regular period though and I used to have slightly heavy periods to. I would say it's been more positive then negative.

April 25, 2014 1:14 AM

Review by HBM:

For Birth Control: I'm 16 years old, and I have been on the shot since July 2013. I haven't had any of the side effects like having unusual cramps, headaches, or ance. The only problem that I have is I spot on and off for about 2-3 weeks right before I'm supposed to get my next shot.

April 20, 2014 10:20 PM

Review by Jay-_:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on the Depo for about 10 months, so 3 shots. I've never had bleeding until this past week, a full week straight. Never had a period until now. Never even had any period pain or anything close to it. I love the low maintenance associated with the shot but if this continues I may have to stop!

April 6, 2014 10:06 PM