User Reviews for Apri

Learn more about Apri.

Apri Review Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 212 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Apri to treat Birth Control

"I was on Apri for 3 months. I have always had easy, 3-day long periods but I needed birth control. I stopped using it because I had awful, 2-week long periods each month. I was in pain and felt a general sense of sickness. I understand that it takes awhile to acclimate, but it was like it was fighting against my body."

t_j_r July 30, 2015

"It's my first month on the apri pills. I haven't experienced any spotting or acne. I haven't experienced any mood changes amd i still weigh about the same. One day I had a bit of nausea it didn't last long. Over all experience is quite pleasant. I suffer from pms in the middle of my cycle and my periods are very irregular... since being on apri I haven't experienced any pms symptoms (bloating, cramping, mood swings and headaches in between my cycle). Period is getting back in a regular cycle... so far so good."

jenMB July 16, 2015

"Over 6 months ago I switched to this from a more traditional bc pill because of nausea. I was taking it for acne and pregnancy protection. Cons: My acne got way worse initially and then leveled off to kind of bad. Gained about five pounds but I'm not sure if it's due to Apri. My periods went from unnoticeable (3-5 days, no cramps) to intolerable, lasting over a week and bleeding like crazy with initial cramping. I have also had frequent yeast infections right before my period since starting this drug. Pros: Boobs got way bigger. Nausea went away."

Anna Ruth June 30, 2015

"I have endometriosis and my doctor wants me to continuously use this with 3-4 breaks per year to minimize the endometrial growth. I had terrible nausea and bad acne in the beginning, not to mention I spotted for a month straight and then bleed a period flow for another month. Taking this pill before bedtime helped with the nausea. I've been taking this pill for 4 months now and have gained 5-10lbs, the acne is still bad ( I'm 34 and no longer had it before apri ) oh and my libido is non existent since taking this medication. I figured it wouldn't happen to me since I had a very strong libido but it is now gone. I'm going to ask my doctor to change this medication."

D321 June 15, 2015

"Been on this for 6 months and plan and changing to a different one. My acne is ten times worse then it ever has been and I get moody/sad crying spells where all I can do is cry for no reason."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2015

"At first, I had no problems on Apri. Then about a month in I gained over 10 pounds even though I didn't change my diet or exercise. I also noticed that I became very moody and had random crying spells around my period, which has never happened before. My breasts are also very tender and itchy, and my acne has gotten worse. I never had bad period cramps before I started taking this pill, and now they are extremely painful. Hopefully my doctor switches me to a different pill."

Runforlife1412 May 30, 2015

"I was on cyclessa no problems, until my Dr. Switched me saying that they no longer carry it. April is awful I'm breaking out like a middle school boy and I'm itchy all the time. Just want to know how many people had the same symptoms because my doctor is telling me in order to switch b.c. I have to completely buy a new prescription because breaking out and being itchy "are not side effects"."

Sidney 907 May 22, 2015

"I've been taking this pill for almost a year now. I've tried two other different brands prior to this, but due to insurance issues I had to switch to this. It has been my worst experience with birthcontrol! I've gained about 10lbs since on this pill, even though I workout and eat healthy I can't lose the weight. My period is very irregular, I have awful cramps, and my acne came back. But I think the worst side effect is that my sex drive is non-existing which is affecting my relationship. I will be going off this pill soon, and would rather pay more than keep taking it."

Abee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2015

"I was on Apri and they said the name changed to Mirvala and there was no changes to the medicine. However, it seems to have completely changed now! I get my period about a week before my pills have run out, even if I take them at the same time every day. I get cramps through-out the month and a lot of spotting. When I do have my period it is extremely heavy and painful. It's stopping pregnancy, but that's about all that it's doing for me now."

Zepharius (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2015

"I was switched onto apri and I got my period for seven days when before I got it for only 3-5. I get severe cramps, bloating, and heavy periods. I will get spotting for about a week or two after I get my period. It has prevented pregnancy but does not help with any symptoms that come with periods."

Hay bay (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2015

"I have been on a bunch of different pills trying to find one that actually worked for me. Previous to this my experiences were heavy periods, terrible cramps, headaches, weight gain, constant spotting, 2 week long periods, anxiety which I never had before going on the pill. I did some research and found that apri contained a different type of estrogen and asked my doctor if I could try it. I'm so glad I did it's been 2 years and all I get is a headache around the time my period is due. I have pretty normal periods and they actually stop when they are supposed to. I get a little spotting the week after but I can deal with it. It normally lasts an hour and goes away."

Apri (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 30, 2015

"The 1st 2 weeks of being on Apri, my appetite increased. I was hungry all the time. But after the 2 weeks my appetite went back to normal. I gained maybe 5 lbs. I didn't get any acne. My periods have always been heavy and I went on birth control for them to get lighter but this pill did nothing. My periods were still heavy and I got bad cramps. It did what its supposed to do and that was prevent pregnancy. I liked Apri overall."

rozlyn April 24, 2015

"Highly recommend, no weight gain or mood swings compared to other birth control pills I have taken. Everyone is different but I give this birth control an excellent review because of the experiences I have had with others."

Ashley z April 9, 2015

"My first full month down. I have had severe headaches.My acne is worse then it's been in years and it's itchy."

Anonymous March 26, 2015

"I have taken Apri for about ten years now. The pill has helped with my acne, migraines, period regularity, and cramping. I have not had any side effects. No depression, weight gain, loss of sex drive, or any other negative side effects. I also have not gotten pregnant, so the pill is doing its job!"

Jema888 (taken for 10 years or more) February 25, 2015

"I've been on Apri for a week and a half and have had very bad crying spells out of no where and depression. I have to use the bathroom every like 30 minutes. And my acne has gotten worse."

Mikayla. February 23, 2015

"This pill put me in pretty deep depression. I was extremely emotional and cried about everything all the time. I didn't gain weight, but it didn't really help with acne and it caused me to get my period about 2 times a month. I had to stop taking it because I was so sad all the time and couldn't stand it."

Meg44444 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 15, 2015

"This pill made me gain weight and caused unbelievable depression. It also did not properly regulate my period."

Sunny327 January 26, 2015

"At 36 years of age, this is my first ever birth control pill. I was placed on Apri 2 months prior to my myomectomy (surgery to remove fibroid tumors from utérus). I 've been taking them for 2 1/2 weeks now. I didnt get my period as scheduled and I've expérienced fréquent crying spells."

Ms36 (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2015

"I had bad side effects after taking this pill for a month. I was throwing up, had really bad cramps, headaches, constant nausea, and frequent urination."

KenyaH (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2015

"Started this birth control because I had really really bad cramps. It cured my cramps and made my period lighter. I had no side effects with it other than the first month I was constantly hungry. I'm happy that the first birth control pill I tried worked perfectly for me."

Cats122 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2014

"This pill works great! The first 4 days of taking the pill there was some bloating but that was the only side effect really and it went away. I definitely have not gained weight from it if anything it makes me feel full faster and longer."

anon1988 October 15, 2014

"I have been taking Apri for about 3 or 4 years now, and I am not pregnant! So that in itself makes it a good pill. However, my periods are still fairly heavy and the cramps painful, and I suspect that the estrogen may have something to do with the migraines I experience, but I'm not sure. "

emjay95 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 31, 2014

"I've been on Apri for a few years and it works 100% great! -My acne is nonexistent -my periods are always falling on the 3-4 days that are supposed to -My cramps are gone, I used to curl over in pain because of them! Now I have little to no discomfort -BUT the reason I gave a 9 out of 10 is because, your sex drive is close to none, I hate it for my husband, which is why I'll probably have to make a switch soon, but for me, I love the product!"

DMH2014 July 20, 2014

"I've been on this birth control for about 5 months now...And it sure is doing its job very well. But I do get huge headaches from time to time and feeling dizzy for about 2 months now. When I started to take this birth control everything was fine. But until now I'm thinking of trying another brand of birth control."

Torontonian (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2014