User Reviews for Apri

Learn more about Apri.

Apri Rating Summary

5.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 226 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Apri to treat Birth Control

"Was switched to this from reclipsen-works great for me. I think a lot of the reviews are from people who don't do well on a lower estrogen/higher progesterone pill. Ortho did to me what all the negative reviews on Apri said it did for them. You have to find what works for YOUR body. Don't get scared off by other peoples' experiences-everyone is different. This works well for my body, and is affordable."

KristiK27 February 5, 2016

"I love this pill I've been using if for over 4 years now. I had some pretty bad acne and my periods were heavy and long now my face is pretty clear and my period is still a little heavy but it's super short now (4 days tops) I haven't put on any weight since I started taking the pill my significant other and I haven't use a condom in over 4 years and I haven't gotten pregnant so it works!"

Rhill5 January 29, 2016

"Although this is the first brand I've tried, it's horrible. I take birth control because I'm lacking iron and my period has become irregular (comes, gone for a week and is back). It's my second month on it and so far, I hate it. This past month, I've gained around 10 pounds, reaching the 120s. I've never even reached 115 in the past, and it makes me self-conscious. On top of that, I've been extremely emotional recently. I cry over small things and sometimes I start crying all by myself for no reason. My stomach also hurts A LOT a week before my period starts and when I'm on it. I have more complaints but those were the major ones. I'm supposed to take it for 6 months or more but I can't handle it and I need to get another asap."

Kidrauhl (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 26, 2016

"I love apri!:I lost 5 pounds and my skin is clearer than ever and I am NOT pregnant and my libido is still intact way better than ortho tri cyclen"

mrs.ehub (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2016

"I have been on birth control for 5 years now. I switched to Apri about a year ago and didn't think anything of it. I also suffer from Bipolar disorder and not long after that I had a lot of issues with that and ended up being hospitalized and having my meds re-evaluated. On top of that, I gained about 40 pounds. Because I had issues previously I never attributed them to Apri. I had been on birth control for so long, I just assumed they were all the same. 2 weeks ago I switched to an IUD and I've already lost 5 pounds out of no where despite having worked my butt off for months trying to loose weight with hardly any success. While Apri may not have been the direct cause of my 'episode', I definitely attribute it to my weight gain."

Mellllll (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2016

"I gave it a rating of 5 for its effectiveness in preventing pregnancy. I only do withdrawal method with this. But the side effects are so awful. Possibly the worst I've had with any brand. It is quite potent I'd tell you that. I get a lot of headaches, nausea and stomach discomforts for a week into starting a new pack, decreased libido, and in the beginning I'm quite dry which is uhm, have never been an issue for me, I get so moody, stress is harder to deal with, I get anxiety attacks, I get so easily fatigued, and the combination of these 2 I just get so unmotivated into doing daily activities. It's pretty bad. I'm changing brands on my next cycle. Maybe a milder combination OCP."

E8 January 13, 2016

"My main reason for using this type of birth control was solely for pregnancy prevention. I've never had any problems with my periods or acne. I've experienced the worst of side effects possible. I'm constantly moody and sad, I have heavy long-term periods, face covered in acne, low sex drive, hair loss, spots on my skin, sensitivity to most soaps and lotions. I'm overall dissapointed with this pill and can't wait to start a new type of contraceptive. Granted I haven't gotten pregnant, but we use condoms so it's hard to judge anyways."

Isu (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2016

"Pretty sure this is causing me to be a emotional wreck. I've never in my life experienced depression or emotions like this."

Mrs.emotional January 10, 2016

"While this pill did fix my cramps it did Also give me a blood clot after 3 Months of taking it that lodged in my ankle and then I ended up in the emergency room thinking I had compartment syndrome. Stay away. My family has no clotting risk history."

Scb90 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2016

"This has been a terrible experience for me. I've been on Apri for about a year and at first had no major complaints. My periods were still 2 weeks long but they had always been. Over the past 6 months my periods have been miserable. Emotionally I'm a wreck, I cry all the time about everything. I feel like a crazy person but at the same time have no control over the crying. I'm constantly moody and irritable. I sweat like crazy when I have my period and often feel like I'm going to pass out. My periods still last 2 weeks one light week followed by a heavy week. I never had clear skin but this pill has only made it worse. I would not recommend and will be changing within the week so I do not have to experience another month like this."

K807 December 23, 2015

"I was placed on this bcp prior to having IVF, this have been the worse 2 weeks ever. I feel so bad for my husband. I have have been moody, crying spells, decreased sex drive, and constant spotting. I cannot wait to stop taking this pill."

Too young for this! December 22, 2015

"I got off of this birth control this month because I have gained almost 30lbs since I started it in May and it is now December and I'm gigantic. I got an IUD today and I'm hoping my weight will get under control now."

Amr0514 December 19, 2015

"Reading these reviews is so disheartening. I've been taking apri for over 5 years now. Suddenly over the past 6 months my acne is terrible and I get menstrual migraines. Clearly I haven't done my research. I am stopping tomorrow. Do not take this pill."

Sierramist2485 December 12, 2015

"I have been taking this birth control for 6 months now and as far as I'm concerned, it works well. I haven't gotten pregnant and I don't use condoms with my significant other. The first few months I may have had a little bit of nausea and bloating, but that's all gone now. My acne has pretty much stayed the same, but my periods are lighter and shorter. They are also very regular. As for changing my weight, I believe Apri has actually helped regulate my weight, so I haven't gained any pounds nor lost any while maintaining the same diet. Mood swings could probably be better, but that comes with all young female adults under stress anyway."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 30, 2015

"Was on Apri for 9 months. No major issues while taking it until 3 weeks ago when I was diagnosed with a massive pulmonary embolism. Testing was performed and the root cause pointed towards Apri. Many articles online linking Apri (3rd generation) to PE's. Do your research before taking this pill, wish I did!"

Lola25 November 29, 2015

"I had stopped taking birth control all together for about a month and lost a ton of weight and my breasts got smaller and then my doctor put me on Apri. Easily one of the worst things to happen to me. I've never had such bad acne in my life and it seems like it never stops. I've also gained at least 10 pounds in addition to my normal weight and that's being modest. I feel bloated ALL THE TIME and I can't tell if I look fat because I'm bloated or because it's the weight being distributed right into my stomach. I'm switching back to my old birth control. Apri sucks."

Amanda6388 November 29, 2015

"I was on Alesse birth control, which is a mini pill that contains progestin, for about a year now with no problems at all. Recently, I switched doctors and she had to write me a new prescription for my pill. I told her what I was already on and she sent in the rx to my pharmacy. When I went to pick it up, the pack was a purple one called Apri. I asked the pharmacist why it changed and they had no idea. I chalked it up to insurance or a miscommunication. I have been using Apri now for 3 days (today being the 3rd night). First night was fine. Second night had some mild numbness in my throat that I hadn't associated with the pill at all because the the first day had went well. Tonight, minutes after taking my pill, my lips feel very numb. No blue discoloration, trouble breathing, or heart palpitations. However, I do have some slight blurred vision, a stuffy chest feeling, and a bit of nausea. After some reading, I found that my last pill and this new one are two different variations of the pill. This new pill, Apri, is a combination pill that contains both estrogen and progestin. I may have had a drug allergy to the estrogen (I read this can happen) or an allergy to a dye in the pill. All I have on hand is some Allergra allergy pills so I took one of those about 30 minutes ago and, although I still feel a little weird, my lips are not as numb. Hopefully the symptoms disappear soon. I will definitely not be taking Apri again or any other combination pill. I am going to schedule an appointment with my doctor first thing in the morning and get an rx for the mini pill again. Just thought I would share my reaction story in case anyone experiences the same complications whereas I wasn't lucky enough to find someone who shared their story."

Living and Loving (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 23, 2015

"Apri works and it doesn't have a lot of terrible side effects. Within the first month I experienced some mood swings and I would get emotional. It cleared my skin and gave me a lighter period however I noticed I would sweat out of nowhere even in air conditioning. Also after 4 months on apri I gained about 9lbs while doing cardio and eating a healthy diet. And month 4 I noticed an overall fatigued feeling 24/7. I'll have no energy and I'll wake up tired. Overall I liked apri but I'm switching because of the weight and the lack of energy/fatigue."

Luscia November 12, 2015

"I just finished my third pack of the pills and overall, I have gained weight, my acne got worse, but in all honesty, I have been eating pure sh*t while on the pill and even before so I can't really say if the acne and weight gain came from taking the pill. I also got migraines and felt nauseous sometimes. I did not get the pill to prevent pregnancy because I'm not having sex at all lol I just got on the pill to regulate my period and so far, it is doing that."

Nat V (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 7, 2015

"I have been on Apri for a month now, and I can NOT wait until Sunday to switch back to my brand name birthcontrol. This month has been a nightmare for my body. Yes, I know, usually if you switch birthcontrol things may change for your body but I was told that this was the EXACT same thing as my other brand name birthcontrol and that the only difference is that I wouldn't have to pay out of pocket. Which is weird because I didn't pay out of pocket for my brand name birth control.. Anyways, within the first week I had acne all over my face. and right now. I have hundreds of little red bumps on my forehead. I honestly have not broken out this bad since freshman year of highschool...I'm 22 now. Each to their own but for me, Apri is a no no."

Annonymous123459392 November 5, 2015

"Horrible experience! Has never had trouble sleeping before starting taking this birth control , really moody and abdominal pain"

Mandy12/: October 26, 2015

"I just got back on April and it's day four and I have already gained about 5 lbs. My acne is about three times worse then normal - granted I don't have perfect skin, but it's really bad at this point. I have kept the same routine as in the past same diet and exercise. I don't recommend Apri to anyone that has ance."

Farjulia October 25, 2015

"I was on Marvelon for 10 years until my benefits plan changed and it only covered generic brands of the birth control pill. When my pharmacist informed me I questioned him profusely asking if it was the same Marvelon. While I was on Marvelon for 10 Years I had no side effects/felt great on it. As soon as I started taking apris I became moody, irritable and very very gassy. It almost felt like I was pregnant. As soon as I started researching apris vs Marvelon I discovered all the poor reviews. I then decided to pay out of pocket to go back on Marvelon the next month because I hated feeling horrible. I went back on Marvelon but what happened next was a blessing in disguise. I became pregnant with my 2nd. Apris messed up my system."

Anonymous October 19, 2015

"I'm a regular user of my old birth control for 5 years but went to a new doctor for my annual exam and she had me take this. HORRIBLE. First week on this stuff and my face is just COVERED with pimples, my face is itchy/irritated, and I feel awful. Never experienced this with my old birth control. I know it's only been a week and give it time and whatever. Yeah, no way. I'm just going to finish this month and go back to what worked. I'm writing this review to confirm that I experienced acne as a side effect of this pill."

Annonymous 3762626 (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2015

"Absolute worst birth control I've ever been on. Made me moody and have random crying spells, and made me breakout SO bad. I've never had a problem with acne but as soon as I was put on this, it was just pimple after pimple after pimple. I changed it as soon as I could. I would NOT recommend."

Ses1997 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2015