User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Mirena, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Plan B, Plan B One-Step, Skyla

Learn more about Levonorgestrel.

Emergency Contraception 157 reviews 23 medications

7.2
Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 890 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Review by Manavie (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I have Mirena since last 6 months. I'm feeling normal and my periods are extremely light. I don't need pads just liners are fine for my periods.

April 17, 2014 11:42 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: Had unprotected sex the day after my period ended. Took the pill within 35 hours after sex. Experienced headaches and tender breasts for the next week or more. Then nothing really. The week of my next period there was a very light flow of a dark red, clumpy discharge. I thought it was spotting and it lasted about 2.5 days. Then nothing for a day. Then I had the worst headache ever and stayed in bed for hours. Later realized this was my period and it had been right on time. No pregnancy.

April 17, 2014 9:47 AM
Review by Sss3345: User Rating:

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I took Plan B about 26 hours after sex and was crazy paranoid because I was ovulating when the insident occurred. For almost two weeks I had fatigue, extreme nausea, swollen and tender breast, but then my period came two days early! Period is normal, not heavier or lighter! Plan B does work, but I wouldn't advise taking it often. All those hormones will make you feel absolutely crazy.

April 12, 2014 10:07 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: Plan B is no joke. It is effective so don't stress if you have taken it within the 72 hours and make sure you rest up. I took it during the time of ovulation about 28 hours after I had a birth control mishap. I had no side effects and got my period about 5 days after (a week before my regular period).

April 10, 2014 4:52 PM
Review by CCKM: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I first had the mirena 7 years ago and had no problems at all and not one period.Two years ago had new one put in and this time around have regular painful and heavy periods so not sure why . Other than that no other side effects that have stood out.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2014 7:01 AM
Review by Its works!: User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex April 1. We were so scared we waited 24 hours to get the pill. What can I say I had no symptoms at all my period comes the 22 of every month and today is Apr 8 and I got it!! I got it so early and very light I usually have it very heavy and I'm happy.

April 8, 2014 1:42 PM
Review by nameisntimportant: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel): Well I got my Mirena on new years eve, it wasn't that painful (I'm 18 never had kids) and I did it because the implant wasn't working for me. I don't regret my decision however, insertion was uncomfortable but nothing to worry about, the only issue for has been the heavy bleeding I'm still getting, which isn't nice. However it has removed the majority of the pain I was in, I just wish the bleeding would stop. Overall I find it a lot better than some other forms of contraception and you can barely feel the strings anymore.

April 3, 2014 4:34 PM
Review by May J:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I just got the Mirena 2 days ago. I was very worried, but it wasn't too bad. I do feel some bloating. I had cramping and some spotting but the spotting has stopped already. I was able to walk/jog after the insertion. I'll re-post after a few weeks so far so good.

April 3, 2014 3:16 PM
Review by MelanieJoy (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I am 24 years old, have had one child. I got the Mirena put in about 9 weeks after delivery which was one week ago. Didn't hurt at all. My doctor did use numbing spray on my cervix though. After I left the doctors I experienced slight cramping and have continued too off and on for about a week now. Spotting is slight and more of a brownish discharge then actual blood. I have also experienced some yeast like symptoms, itching mostly. My doctor says that this could be because my body is still adjusting to the Mirena. Otherwise I'm very happy and will post again in a few weeks.

April 3, 2014 2:39 PM
Review by Not preggers: User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend last week and took the Plan B One-Step the day after and I got my period today. And I'm so happy I got my period today! So definitely look into this. It's way better than being pregnant.

April 2, 2014 4:20 PM
Review by SMGApril12014: User Rating:

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I realized I had been with my partner on a very fertile day, about 14 days before my period was due. I panicked and took Plan B about 20-24 hours later. I was able to buy it at Rite Aid over the counter, which was a relief! I took the pill and had no side effects until about the time my period was due, and then I got a migraine aura twice in a day. Very scary, but I am prone to migraine auras when my hormones change. I figured my period was very close, but it didn't come. I had no other symptoms except maybe slight nausea. Finally, 6 days later I started spotting and having cramps. Hallelujah! I've never been happier to get my period. It was 6 days late. So don't worry - this medication DOES work.

April 1, 2014 12:54 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I have taken Plan B 3 times so far and has worked every time. First time in July 2012 I had unprotected sex took Plan B 4 hours later and got my period with no delay on the exact day I was supposed to get it. The second time in September 2013 I just finished having my period on 8/20 and had protected sex on 9/4, the condom broke so I took Plan B 2 hrs later and got my period 2 weeks early on 9/9. The third time I took it was March 2014. Had a condom break so I took Plan B on 3/21, 4 hrs later. I was suppose to get my period on 4/2/14 but got it yesterday it came 3 days early. Never been so happy to see my period. If you are worried that the pill may not work don't be! It does work when you take it writhing the 72 hour time frame.

March 31, 2014 11:09 AM
Review by TMI: User Rating:

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: My first time taking Plan B, I took it 6 hours after the condom got stuck inside me, (I was so worried, I didn't sleep well that night) After taking it, I didn't experience any side effects, and didn't bleed or anything, and I got my period right on schedule. It did its job! But the second time around, (Yes, it happened again -_-) I took Plan B 20 minutes after, and I started bleeding a week later, looks like my regular period, but my regular period is scheduled to come in 3 weeks, so, I know Plan B worked, and it's normal to bleed a couple days after taking it. Now all that's left is to wait for my period to come.

March 31, 2014 1:21 AM
Review by Very Happy (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: Had unprotected sex with my girlfriend and she took the Plan B pill the day after, like 13 hours later. I couldn't sleep and I was very nervous. She got her period a week later, It was heavy, which I guess is also a good thing haha. If your reading these reviews to make you feel better, I've been in your shoes. Just have faith in it, it'll work don't worry.

March 25, 2014 7:41 PM
Review by Thankful! (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I understand every woman is different, but Mirena has been wonderful for me. I have struggled for 25 years with painful cramps and excessive bleeding and Mirena is the only thing that has worked for me. I never have had children, so there was some pretty nasty pain when it was put in. I am on my second one and it was much less painful the second time around. Both my husband and I could feel my strings at first but that faded with time. As I said it isn't for everyone.

March 25, 2014 6:50 AM
Review by Char's web: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I got my Mirena a week ago and so far it's been good. The insertion hurt but it took like five to ten minutes.The first two days I felt a little bloated and heavy in the tummy. But from the third day on I never felt a thing again.I was running five miles these days and tummy feels well. The only thing is that I have been spotting lightly since insertion. But I know that it's a common side effect and I just have to be patient. I think a lot of dissatisfaction stems from the insecurity of not being able to have sex with the constant spotting and your partner potentially losing interest. I felt that way at first anyways, but my boyfriend told me he still loves me and told me to stock up on pads and be patient. I felt loved and relieved.

March 23, 2014 11:33 PM
Review by regret (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: This pill definitely works. My initial cycle started 7 days after I took the pill. I ended up having two periods Last month because of the pill. I received my next period about 6 weeks after I took the pill. I had no side effects at all! However, it changed my period completely. My flow isn't heavy as it used to and it still has this dry blood appearance (dark red instead of the normal color of blood). Its also more fluidy or watery than the usual blood. All in all, my worry is that my body did not take this pill as well as others.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 22, 2014 10:51 AM
Review by H20: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Many horror stories on the web, but here's my positive experience 2 weeks in: - note I never had kids, been on pills for over 15 years with no side effects, but want the most effective and convenient option. - took 800mg Advil 1.5 hours before. It was a day before my period. - key is finding a very experienced doctor who uses local anesthetics and cervical dilation, which I think really helped. I barely felt anything, similar to pap. - some cramping afterwards but not bad as I continued with Advil for 2 more days. Spotting once or twice daily but nothing too bad. No side effects at all yet. - everyone's different. Don't be scared off by reviews!

March 22, 2014 8:44 AM
Review by noelle178: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I am 19, and the obgyn I go to strongly suggested getting Mirena, but after reading the horror stories people post online about it I was almost too terrified to get it. I finally decided to get it and it is the BEST form of birth control out there. I didn't even feel them insert it! I've also seen a lot about people talking about the strings stabbing them or their partner. Just ask them not to cut the strings, ask them to tuck them behind your cervix. It works great! The only side effects was the barely mild cramping for a day afterwards. I did have spotting light spotting for a month but I haven't had a period since. If you're thinking about getting it you definitely should at least try it.

March 20, 2014 8:21 PM
Review by shopgal71 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Next Choice (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I took this on March the 7th, after having a condom break. My gynecologist is the one who suggested this pill. I took it about 12 hours after the broken condom, so I was well within range. At first, I was nervous thinking about the worse case scenario. Within one week of taking the pill, I noticed a brownish type of discharge. I had heard about this from other reviews so I wasn't too worried. Then for the next four days, my body felt very premenstrual. Then today, I got my period. It is a week early, but I will take it. I would recommend this to anyone needing emergency birth control. It is $50 but well worth it. You have to get it from the pharmacist with an ID. Just one pill. I will definitely be going back on the pill full time!

March 11, 2014 11:16 PM
Review by Happy ! THANK YOU GOD. (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: On January 21, the condom broke. My boyfriend purchased it the next day. I took the pill about 18 hours later. Immediately I started to experience side effects like headaches, cramps & body aches. After a week my side effects was light cramping & mild headaches. I got my period today ! My period usually comes round the first week of every month; So im a couple days late. I never been so happy to be in so much pain. I normally have bad cramps so this is nothing new. Be patient & dont stress.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 10, 2014 3:06 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I had unprotected sex took Plan B next day. The only symptoms I had was breast tenderness for a day and slight cramping pain. But the product works I got my period I was so stressed out because I seriously didn't want to get pregnant. Prayed everyday that this product work and it did.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 9, 2014 3:50 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: If you are worried this pill doesn't work, don't be! Condom broke accidentally 2 days before I was supposed to ovulate. My man drove me to store and took the pill 10 hrs after incident. I was worried my weight would have an effect on the effectiveness of the pill, but no worries. We pulled through. Had minimal side effects. It just made me feel sleepy for about 1 week.

March 2, 2014 7:46 PM
Review by Worley (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I got the Mirena Tuesday of this week. I was very weary about the insertion because I work at the OBGYN & have seen the good along with the very painful inserts. I get high blood pressure with the pill and saw that the Mirena was 100% covered by my insurance so I thought I would give it a try. Insertion is best while you are in your menstrual cycle because it causes your cervix to dilate. With that being said I have not had children and got the Mirena during my cycle, I was barely spotting. Insert gave a small cramp to my surprise much easier than I was setting myself up for in my mind. If you follow direction & take Advil or Ibuprofen every 4-6 starting 1 hour prior insert & 5 days post same routine that will rid of cramps & bleeding. VERY satisfied- no cramps or bleeding!

February 28, 2014 2:15 PM
Review by Yay4me (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I had unprotected sex right on the day of ovulation. I mean dead smack on when I was fertile. I took the pill 2 hours later and had NO SYMPTOMS whatsoever. I had to wait a whole 2 weeks for my period to come and I was afraid the pill wasn't going to work since I was really fertile. But 2 weeks later, on the EXACT day I was supposed to get my period, I got it! So this pill works! Phew! Relieved!

February 27, 2014 11:55 PM