User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Fallback Solo, Mirena, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Plan B, Plan B One-Step, Skyla

Learn more about Levonorgestrel.

Emergency Contraception 187 reviews 24 medications

7.2
Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 951 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Review by Nora27:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I took it after not using a condom just 4 days after my normal period. Later that day I felt sick, emotional, and dizzy. The next day I felt better. The second day I felt sick again, dizzy, nauseas, lower abdomen cramps, and very emotional. I woke up feeling depressed, then by the afternoon it turned to feeling edgy and angry like very intense PMS that I've never experienced before. On the fifth day after taking it I started my period which lasted 5 days with heavy- to normal period bleeding. Then it tapered off to low flow spot bleeding, noticeable most when urinating or sex. Some days it's heavier than others, this is still going on 7 days after the 2nd period. It worked but it's miserable.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2014 9:35 PM

Review by Sare:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: The Mirena was a really good decision that I made. But getting it inserted was the most painful thing I have ever experienced in my life. The pain was so bad when the doctor was inserting it I thought I was going to pass out. I bled for a few days after it was in, minor spotting but very intense cramps. I got it almost a month ago and I am just starting to spot a little again now, so assuming this is my period that are normally very extreme due to my blood disease I have and not being able to clot, the Mirena is working well for me.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2014 4:21 PM

Review by Anonymous34:

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I took Plan B about 36 hours after unprotected sex. I literally was SO scared I would get pregnant and googled everything on Plan B way too much. I'm on birth control but hadn't been taking it at the same time recently. I had symptoms throughout that I was paranoid were pregnancy symptoms like random cramping, lower back pain, and sore breasts. My nipples were always hard! But exactly 3 weeks later, today, I got my period!! It is a few days later than when I usually have it, Don't worry, it works! Trust it.

July 25, 2014 2:02 AM

Review by Mstke1:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I took the pill within an hour after having unprotected sex. It was my first time. I was so freaked out. But now, I write this as my Aunt Flow is in town. Super happy. I was only a day late too, and cramping was normal so no complaints.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2014 12:41 PM

Review by Anonymous25:

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I took Plan B about 36 hours after unprotected sex. I literally was SO scared I would get pregnant and googled everything on Plan B way to much. I'm on birth control but hadn't been taking it at the same time. I had symptoms throughout that, I was paranoid was pregnancy symptoms like random cramping, lower back pain, and sore breasts. But exactly 3 weeks later, today, I got my period. It is a few days later than when I usually have it, Don't worry, it works! Trust it.

July 24, 2014 11:34 AM

Review by peachesnicole07:

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: On July 1st, I took Plan B One Step 44 hours after sex where a condom failed. I took the pill 5 days before expected period. I had no spotting or major symptoms, was just a little tired after I took it. My period was supposed to start on July 6th, and it was 10 days late, and started on the 16th. I've never been happier to see my period! My cramps were awful but I am sure thankful for this pill. Don't be scared if your period is over a week late, I stressed so bad and had every right to but it can definitely be later than that. Just give it time and take a test if you're scared!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2014 11:56 AM

Review by Smile47 (taken for less than 1 month):

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: This is the BEST avenue to take for an emergency. Me and my boyfriend had an accident during unprotected sex and I took the pill within 24 hrs. Got my period on time (just one day late). It may delay your period from a day to a few weeks and the waiting for your period could be crucial, trust me I know, BUT it works. Now breath and go eat some chocolate.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2014 6:38 PM

Review by LexiG (taken for less than 1 month):

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Went on Mirena as it was one of my only options for birth control due to hormone issues and aura migraines. It hurt pretty bad having it put in. I suggest 800 mg of ibuprofen a half an hour to an hour before insertion. I have never had a child. Right after insertion I felt great, no pain for a few hours, then the cramps began. Nonstop terrible cramps with a little bleeding, for 3 full days. I finally called the Dr and she wrote me a script for Vicodin so I could go to work. No sleep for those 3 days due to terrible pain. The cramps finally subsided but then the stabbing pain started. Terrible stabbing pain in my abdomen. I think my body was rejecting it. I had it removed. Feel much better.

July 10, 2014 5:44 PM

Review by vikkijayne:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I had the Mirena fitted as nothing else worked for me. I've had 3 babies full term. Can honestly say the insertion didn't hurt I hardly felt a thing. Had quite bad cramps afterwards and light spotting but not too bad. Highly recommended to all.

July 8, 2014 5:29 PM

Review by gratefulgirl100:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I was not going to post a review but decided to after realizing there might be someone out there very nervous right now. I had sex a day after my period ended and while I probably didn't even need it, I was very scared, being a teenager, and decided to take Plan B. I took it five hours after the incident and I didn't have any side effects. I got my period 1 week 2 days after the pill, which is odd considering I just had it, but Plan B messes up your period. Now I'm not sure whether my next period will come when it was originally supposed to, or in a month, but since I got my period I know Plan B worked. I worried myself sick but reading all the positive reviews helped and I hope this one does too!

July 7, 2014 5:44 PM

Review by Gira915:

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: It was a heat of the moment thing and we went unprotected. Not too smart, but it happens. Took Plan B One Step less than an hour later. Like you, I was anxious and jumped into reading reviews and began the waiting game. The second day I felt dizzy, nauseated, and sleepy, but it didn't kill me. For those wondering,I'm 5'3, 145 lbs, and never took birth control before. Just relax, even if you don't feel it, this is working. Easier said than done, I know. My period came a few days earlier than expected and heavier, but I've never been so happy to see it!

July 7, 2014 3:09 PM

Review by Thank God (taken for less than 1 month):

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: Me and my girlfriend had sex sadly the condom broke. I was so confused, I rushed to a local Walgreens and purchased the pill. Which was about two hours after our incident. Then here came the long waiting. We waited and nothing. I thought day after day. Guys let me tell you I have a future and this pill saved it. Don't use it as a birth control it is used for what it says, emergency only. Thanks science.

July 5, 2014 1:04 PM

Review by Frenzy (taken for less than 1 month):

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: If this pill doesn't work then no pill will work. Condom broke an I was scared to death. Took this pill within 12 hours, got my period 5 days late (the worst 5 days if my life). Never been so happy bleeding. P.S. Except for mild cramping I did not have any side effect.

July 5, 2014 9:55 AM

Review by Megann2:

Next Choice (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: After taking Next Choice One Dose - I experienced three periods in one month, intestinal pain, constipation, headaches, and high blood pressure. I am a healthy run of the mill 23 year old, so I was extremely surprised by these side effects. I had taken Next Choice once before when it was a two dose. It did not have this effect on body, cycle, or hormones. It has been a hard month due to this medication - but it's better than an unwanted pregnancy. I don't want to discourage anyone from taking this. I just want them to know what they may have to go through. Like I said, it's still a small price to say.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 1, 2014 8:34 PM

Review by melgunner (taken for less than 1 month):

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Had my Mirena inserted July 30 2014, I am giving it such a high rating at this point because I have nothing but positive experiences so far. Unlike most people I had it inserted after having no children, the insertion was slightly painful but just felt like a bad cramp that went away quickly. The cramping stopped 2 minutes after insertion and then I had some mild cramping later that day. Spotting is minimal to null, only noticeable on bathroom tissue. -For anyone thinking of getting on before they have had a kid: I was given misoprostol vaginally to soften the cervix and took ibuprofen for 24 hours before to help with cramping. The misoprostol did not cause me cramping or discomfort as I feared it would.

July 1, 2014 8:30 PM

Review by Great experience (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I am 40 yrs old, and I have had Mirena just 2 months shy of 5 years before having it removed. I experienced some cramping when it was inserted and a few days after. Post removal, I had very minor cramping, but nothing that required medication. I have had no to very light periods the entire time. I still weigh within 5 pounds of what I weighed when I got it. No mood swings, no anxiety, no depression. This is the best birth control that I've had. Previously I was on Depo for 12 years and the pill before that. Everyone's body chemistry is different, therefore, the negative experiences may not be yours. If you are hesitant, I would try Depo Provera first as my experience with both have been very similar.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 1, 2014 10:56 AM

Review by misslady85:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I'm 29 years old and just had my 4th child. I got it inserted 7 weeks after having my 4th child. Insertion didn't hurt, just a little cramping. I felt dizzy for the 1st 20 minutes. Went to work and had light spotting. Now on my 4th day with the Mirena and I still have light cramping and spotting is now turning into regular bleeding. So far so good!

June 30, 2014 12:14 PM

Review by becmarie201:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I have had Mirena for almost 3 years now. Getting It removed on Monday for sure. I suffer from depression but ever since I got the Mirena it has gotten worse and my anxiety attacks keep coming and coming. I have severe headaches that cause my vision to be blurry in one eye and my left side of my body goes numb. It's very scary and I can't live like this anymore.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2014 8:37 PM

Review by Jeans1234:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I had Mirena inserted two years ago, after I had my fourth child. When It was inserted I did not feel anything at all, I even had to ask the doctor if she was finished lol. For the first year or so, I had unexpected periods some short, some long, some heavy, most very very light. For a short while I was able to predict when I was going to get my period because my mood sings would go crazy. Now Its been two months that I get less then a day periods. It is only a little spotting done. I feel good, I have not gained any weight, no pain, no more mood swing. It does not interrupt my sex life with my husband. I would recommend Mirena to anyone.

June 27, 2014 5:00 PM

Review by Luckymomof3 (taken for less than 1 month):

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have 3 children and just had my third Mirena put in today. The cramping has already stopped. I love the Mirena because the last 2 times my period disappeared. Also, My libido is usually good and I don't have to worry about taking the pill. The only problem is that at the 2 year mark because of my endometriosis, I start to get really bad cramping.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2014 10:57 PM

Review by Had a mistake:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: Girlfriend took this pill after an accident as we practice extremely safe sex... She took the pill 10 hours after the incident on June 8th, her last period was around May 14th. It is now June 23rd and she got her period! Obviously it is pretty late but that is a side effect from the pill. Around 3 days after she was complaining of cramping which is what I have come to understand was the pill working. So after 2 stress filled weeks of waiting everything is fine! This pill will definitely mess with your cycle but it does the job and I am so thankful for it.

June 23, 2014 4:02 PM

Review by Hetherfly (taken for less than 1 month):

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I got the Mirena three weeks ago. Was worried after what I had read here, so I took two Advil an hour before. Insertion had a few painful moments, but it was over quickly. No pain or bleeding since. So far, so good.

June 22, 2014 9:09 AM

Review by Masami (taken for less than 1 month):

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I had sex during ovulation period. I was so paranoid I decided to take plan B. I took plan B like 30hrs later. Well let me tell you let this be your last resort. I received so many pregnancy symptoms throughout this whole ordeal I was freaking out so bad until my period came. I was so sick. Sore breast, headaches, fatigue, horrible cramping, and the worst diarrhea. I was depressed after taking this. The hormones are crazy and will have you going insane. Not everyone have same side effects though so maybe it will be different for you.

June 22, 2014 1:30 AM

Review by young adult:

Next Choice (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I used Next Choice one dose ...I took the pill 10 hrs after. It made me so sleepy and I was a bit dizzy. On the fifth day I started with a bad headache and the next day I started spotting, now today I am proud to say I'm not pregnant! I was so paranoid when my period wasn't here. Now it is I couldn't be happier to. Just relax girl, it works.

June 21, 2014 8:15 PM

Review by Thankful!:

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I took this pill about 20 hours after "unprotected sex". I had absolutely no side effects for about a week, but then my breasts hurt and became enlarged, I was constantly bloated, constipated, and had horrible back pains and cramping. I was completely stressed out and scared I might be pregnant after freaking myself out reading about pregnancy signs. However, my period came today and I've never been so happy! The flow is normal but with more cramping than usual. Overall, I am very pleased with this product! It is way less expensive than a baby, and I am never having sex without protection again! But don't worry ladies..It'll be ok!

June 20, 2014 5:21 PM