User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Aftera, Athentia Next, EContra EZ, Fallback Solo, Her Style, Liletta, Mirena, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Opcicon One-Step, Option 2, Plan B, Plan B One-Step, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levonorgestrel.

Emergency Contraception 887 reviews 14 medications

8.8
Birth Control 1640 reviews 275 medications

7.2
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 234 reviews 162 medications

5.9
Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 2761 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got the mirena feb of 2015 so it's been a little over a year the inserting part wasn't that bad I say a 4. The cramps after about a 6 I bleed for 6 months straight around the third month it was pretty light (panty liner) I broke out on my forehead for about 4 of those months than it went away I have random cramping and Nausea along with pregnancy symptoms ( cravings , nausea bad taste, mood swings ) I also have to wear a panty liner everyday due to more discharge but it colorless and don't have a smell I haven't notice hair loss or nail damage but I do get a light period every month sometimes 5 days some times 8 and it makes my constipated /gasey sometimes I have cravings and sometimes I don't eat cause I feel bloated and full"

Parisgolden April 28, 2016

For Emergency Contraception: "I ended up having unprotected sex on April 7. When he finished some of it got on me but they we question whether or not he pulled out on time. I was freaking out (crying and all), so I told him to get me a plan B pill. I took the pill about 20 minutes later, but I was still freaking out. My period ended a few days before the accident. I ended up having sore breasts and spottings. I was still freaking out about 3 weeks later I took a pregnancy test and it came out negative. I was still nervous and praying 3 days after the test I got my period. Trust me it works even with a lot of prayer and crying you'll be okay!!"

Happily not prego April 28, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Literally just got Skyla implanted today. Do it on your period and take max. dosage of painkillers an hour ahead. I'm 20- no kids. It hurt a lot but its like a bad cramp. Still getting used to it but the best part is that you can get this removed whenever!"

Anon-TheCool1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2016

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Took this 12 hours after thr bf ejaculated in me on day 15 of my cycle...one of my most fertile days.....the day I took it the cramps got so bad I almost vimitted, I got so dizzy and weAK from it.by the next day I was fine. i wouldn't recommend this torture...then four days later my breasts became sore....and i have been getting every pregnancy or pms symptom since (sore breasts, cramping, upset stomach, nausea, lower backache, headaches)....I am due to start sat 4/30.....I took a prego test and came back negative.....this is the longest pms and worst symptoms I have ever had. I think I would have rather taken my chances."

Aj1001 April 27, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Had IUD Mirena inserted last April, 2015, it was excruciating. I bleed for 10 days 1st 3 months & had consent spotting. My periods are dark black blood clots & very few months of heavey red bleeding. There are months I have anywhere to 2/3 periods. I also had extremely bad anxiety/depression, crying fits, gnarly headaches, major cramps and severe mood swings, family hates me/it!!!! I decided to do IUD after Loestrin 24 was disconnected. Am 44 & ever had children. Calling to get it out & back on the pill. I do not recommend this product."

2015 insert April 27, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "23 with no children, I've had Skyla for almost a year now. I'm an active duty military spouse so I paid absolutely nothing for this IUD. I was on the depo shot for several years and experienced pretty severe weight gain but had no periods, light occasional cramping. Then I switched to the pill for several more years, towards the end I had regular once a month periods with controlled weight and no acne but excruciating breast and head pains. Which was the deciding factor to change. My doctor and I opted for Skyla hoping to eliminate my previous symptoms. So far, I've had absolutely no periods, no spotting and no cramping. My head aches have improved for the most part. No breast pain yet, but I have experienced acne and weight gain."

AnnaBF (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "It is extrememly effetive. I'm having mine removed in two days after having it just a few days shy of two years. Insertion hurt like noones business, cramps afterward were the worst I've ever had, and my period before was pretty terrible. My periods were irregular after that, prior to this I had 3-4 day periods at the same time every month. Now I never know when theyre coming, I gained a considerable amount of weight, which Ive gotten under control with diet, as my periods are almost always close to two weeks long. Intercourse more often than not is painful or at least uncomfortable, especially with the onset of my period. Sometimes after climax there are temporary very painful cramps. Its worth it for the most part, sometimes its not."

BelleE (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 26, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Skyla was placed 6 weeks after delivery. Slightly uncomfortable, but so much better than my previous Mirena. Just take take something over the counter first. My first period was heavier and longer ( no periods with Mirena after first few months), and I haven't had another period yet with Skyla. I still have other PMS tupe symptom like irribility and slight cramping... But no more periods for me ! I'm going on 10 months now"

Nancer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 26, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got Skyla about a year ago and I love it. The insertion was slightly painful but only lasted a few minutes. I was dizzy the hours after and did have some cramps but it only lasted about a day. I hardly get my period; light spotting. Although when I do get my period, I get cramps, which I never used to get when I was on the pill. Im not pregnant so that's a bonus. Overall my only complaint is the cramps I now get. I would recommend this to everyone!"

Rissy0218 April 26, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Okay. Here's the deal. My body was not thrilled about this change. When it was inserted 3 years ago it was excruciating. I could barely stand. Then I had the same damn pain for 6 months STRAIGHT. And this pain is best described as the worst poop ever. It hurts. It feels like there's a soccer team practicing in your uterus With a heavy period every two weeks. Then the ovnoxious pain would only come when I had my period which thankfully went from every two weeks to once a month and then to kinda rare. Only occasionally. But the pain was still so unbearable that I had to get prescription pain medicine. That didn't work. However. I figured it was worth it. So I left it in. Here I am 3 years later and still bad cramp"

Emyo April 26, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "if there is any advice you can take from the internet right now, it's to calm down ladies!! I promised I'd write a review here to settle nervous tummies on my experience, since I was you at one point. I had unprotected sex on day 5 (yes on my period) of my normal 28 day cycle at approximately 9am. I am grateful plan b was available behind the counter at pharmacy and I purchased it less than an hour after the oopsie. here started the waiting game and bizarre side affects such as nausea and fatigue for almost two months. I was 2 weeks late. also, if this helps, I am 50 POUNDS PASSED THE WEIGHT CAPACITY (165lbs) AND IT WORKED!!! :) good luck ladies :) you have nothing to worry about. it works!!"

oopsie daisy! April 26, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I had unprotected sex while on my birth control pills not realizing that the anti biotic I am on would counteract with it considering it usually says it on the bottle. However, after I started panicking the very next morning (less than 24 hours) I went and bought the plan b pill from my local drug store for 50$. I did not feel anything after taking it but 24 hours afterwards I felt nauseous, and my stomach felt upset. After that passed, my period was supposed to come 3 weeks later it....my breasts became very sore, and I broke out really bad. All symptoms of my period. So 4 days before my period was supposed to start I got my period!!! I was ovulating, and over the "weight limit" be patient and WAIT!"

Dessssss April 25, 2016

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Of course my partner doesn't pull out on ovulation day, took "take action" 24 hours later, 4 days later I have a massive period with worst cramps ever!! Very tender even to touch my lower abdomin. Dispite the bleeding I still have worry. :/ won't do that nonsense again!!"

Being a woman has its down sid (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Well this is the second time I have had to take it. I am not making this a routine but accidents do happen. The last time was several months ago. I use to be on the IUD but I continued to have problems with it. I have tried several pills as well but to no avail , my body does not handle them well either. I am considering sterilization but my husband said he would do it. So this is why I have had this experience. One thing I noticed is Plan B has worked for me. I have mood changes similar to PMS for a few days. After about a week (7 days) I begin spotting and start my period. I am thankful but it does work a week after you ended your last period. I can only blame myself. Plan B has worked for me."

C me April 25, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "The insertion does hurt but it's tolerable. I'm glad I didn't read these reviews beforehand because I would've been super freaked out! I got my Skyla inserted about 4 days ago and the worst part was after the insertion because I got some pretty painful cramps. They went away after about 5 hours and haven't came back. I'm still spotting a little bit but nothing too bad. If you're reading these reviews just remember everyone's body reacts differently to birth control."

Anonymous April 25, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend and he came inside and we were both terrified. My period was 2 weeks late and him and I were freaking out planning around college and stuff for a kid. Thank God I eventually got my period. Overall this drug has saved me a lot. The worst part is the cost. I did have side effects of major bloating...like, so bad, and I run 5 miles daily. It also made me have symptoms that felt like I was on my period; tired, craving chocolate, moody, and I never threw up, but felt very nauseous at times. I did have a couple dizzy spells, but just pushed through it. Just get through the crappy side effects and you'll be fine. :)"

T1816 April 25, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was leary of getting the Mirena based on poor reciews of continued bleeding, but since the doctor told me "only 5% of women have those issues" I went ahead and had it inserted on Monday of last week. I was cycle day 5 and at the tail end of my period-read my lining should be very thin!!! Mon and Tuesday were great! A little cramping and very mild spotting. Wednesday however the flood gates opened. By Friday if I stood up I could see and feel the blood coming out. This is 100% unacceptable to me. I have emailed my gyn and told her I either want a script for estrogen which supposedly helps stop the bleeding or I want it out NOW. I am not going to wait and see if it regulates in 3 months. This is bs, 5%, right"

SusanL1974 April 25, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I found the mirena great. It wasn't very painful to have put in. It took 6/8 months to settle. For the first month's I had bleeding on and off all month. After 8 months I hadn't any periods. I replaced it with a new coil after 5 years. The only side effects I noticed were ance between 8months and 12 months."

Pinkboh (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 24, 2016

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I took this as an emergency contraceptive 15 days after the start of my last period 12 hours after the condom broke. My boyfriend since left for deployment and 3 weeks later I found out a surprise! 3 weeks pregnant. 10/10 would never trust this again my doctor was even shocked."

Sadlittlesushoroll April 24, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I took plan B an hour after loosing my virginity and having unprotected sex,it been about a day and I'm mostly just experiencing cramping and nausea, I had just gotten off my period and I'm just praying that I'm not pregnant."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

Next Choice One Dose (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I had to take the morning after pill after I accidentally hooked up with my ex-boyfriend and he forgot that I do not take birth control. I was already 5 days since I finished my last period, and I knew I was close to my fertile time of the month so I decided to take the after pill the same morning on the 4/10. I didn't have many side effect for the first 4 days after I took the pill except some lower abdominal bloating. On the 5th day after taking the pill there was some light spotting and decided to pack some tampons as I headed to Coachella.. It has now been 7 days since my period has started and it is the heaviest period I have ever had. I've gone through 18 supers in 3 days. On day 14 and still bleeding. Be prepared for the blood bath!"

Cole44 April 23, 2016

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I'm on birth control but was paranoid and took this plan b pill my body was very hormonal and my nerves were very bad. I went with my gut and decided to take the pill even tho I was safe on my birth control patch but insisted and took the pill for this last couple of weeks my body was going nuts !! But I must say my period came exactly the same date it comes every month on 4/22 ... I got my period ladies so I must say go with your gut when your in doubt and also believe and trust in your birth control. My period is very heavy from the pill and I have body aches and headaches and acne like crazy !!! But I will not be using this pill no more to much side affects I will be sticking with my patch like I always have been !!!"

Anonymously Waiting (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 23, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "So let me just start out by saying I have had skyla for 3 years now and I never got pregnant so that's a plus . 1. Insertion is painful but just like a really bad cramp last only a couple of seconds . 2. Post insertion I had a lot of spotting for the first 2 weeks got a little annoying , but stopped . 3. For the past 3 years I have been having irregular periods sometimes I have my period for 2 weeks , sometimes there is no period . I feel very painful cramps during these periods but if u don't want to get pregnant what's a couple of cramps ? . PROS .... Very effective birth control , easy ,sometimes no periods , no acne ( depends on the person I guess ) . CONS .... Lost of sexual appetite , increase in discharge ,weight gain . its ok ."

Domixclusive April 23, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I read so many reviews about how painful insertion would be, and I got myself really worked up and was very nervous when I went to see my doctor. I'm happy to say that is wasn't in the littlest bit painful. I am 26 and do not children. Granted I have really bad cramps when I get my period, which is part of the reason I needed birth control. But there was no pain, no pinch, nothing. I felt like I was having a MILD period cramp, for about 30 seconds, and then I felt completely fine. No cramping or pain at all afterwards. I took 800mg of ibuprofen about 30 minutes before, and I think that helped a lot. I would rate it about 2/10 on a pain scale, and the "pain" is pressure and mild cramping"

Cmblack22 April 23, 2016

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "So I'm sharing cause I was totally freaking out after I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend 2 weeks ago, he didn't finish inside me but I heard about pre come so 14 hours later I took plan b, I didn't had any side effects I was only tired and I was so hungry, my period was due yesterday so I had to wait 2 whole weeks and I was freaking out and all I did was pray and read this reviews and cry cause It was my first time having unprotected and I was scared I could be pregnant cause I'm still in high school and I'm definitely not ready for a baby but yesterday I got my period and NOT PREGNANT. I hope this helps cause reading this reviews helped me a lot, so don't stress cause that can make your period late. Don't worry. The pill works"

Yaliz April 23, 2016