User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Aftera, EContra EZ, Fallback Solo, Liletta, Mirena, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Opcicon One-Step, Plan B, Plan B One-Step, Skyla

Learn more about Levonorgestrel.

Emergency Contraception 392 reviews 11 medications

9.4
Birth Control 870 reviews 249 medications

7.5
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 109 reviews 163 medications

7.3
Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 1371 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Just purchased this today after having unprotected sex last night. I'm praying it works and I'm not pregnant."

Nickip26 May 23, 2015

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I'm 17 and my boyfriends condom broke during sex like most. Being my age a child is not something we need right now. I was very panicked and immediately got the pill. After reading many reviews on it I took it about 4 hours after the mishap. The only side effect I had was tender breasts. I got my period on my exact due date! This pill works! I promise you. Don't worry it will be okay !"

IT WORKED May 23, 2015

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I took the plan b pill the morning after. Was my first time taking it. I was ovulating. We didn't use a condom but he pulled out. First day, I was a little tired at the end of the day. Second day, a little diarrhea. Nothing more until now it's day 6 and I've started cramping and my near my right ovary is hurting a little. Nothing bad. I can't say it worked just yet but I can say that I didn't have any drastic symptoms. The symptoms you have depend on how your body reacts to the high dosage of hormone. I'm sure it also has to do with if the pill actually had anything to flush out of your body or not."

D... May 23, 2015

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I took the plan b one step pill 45 minutes after unprotected sex. I got the plan b bleeding 3 days later And it lasted 4/5 days. I waited 2 weeks and I finally got my period, it came a little early but it worked."

Jeyh May 23, 2015

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "The incident happened March 31st, the condom broke and I panicked because I was in the fertile stage of my cycle. I took the morning after pill within 24hours (two doses because the first didn't stay down) and 6 days later I had a period which was about a week earlier than expected. I had a blood test to check for pregnancy hormones and took at least 10 home pregnancy tests. All the tests turned up negative but I was still worried, especially when I didn't get my period when I expected it. My period was 4-6 days late but seemed normal (a little longer, lasting almost 5 days instead of my normal 3 days) and came 6 weeks after the last one. The pill worked for me even though I'm overweight. I also had almost every symptom the pill suggested."

dontworryaboutit May 23, 2015

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I had sex with a friend of mine while we were both very high and not thinking at all unfortunately his condom broke. We were both freaking out and then he was telling me about this Plan B pill and saying everything was going to be alright. It was 3am at the time so we had to wait until the next day to get it. We are also seniors in high school so this was bad. I took the pill 11 hours later and it's been 19 days and I haven't experienced anything from it, no side effects. I don't know if that's good or bad and I also haven't started my period yet. I pray to God that this works."

Someone stupid... May 23, 2015

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "This was not painful to me and was told to be one of the best birth controls with very little hormones. I think the only reason it hurt is because I was thinking about it too much but honestly not hard at all. My doctor did a good job inserting it I'm 2 months post partum C section baby . It was scary but honestly didn't hurt. No cramps no blood just easy 3 year birth control method"

AnnonAAA May 23, 2015

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I decided to get Mirena after my 5th child was born. Since he was born I have suffered from insomnia, mood swings, weight gain, impossible weight loss, odor & discharge, yeast infections, and zero libido. Overall I just don't feel like the same person anymore and my husband says I have changed. So I visited my doctor and got extensive blood tests. Everything was normal she said.... Then it dawned on me recently, what is it that changed after my son was born? Oh! Well I had the Mirena put in! I then started to research side effects and read forum posts by other women who have used Mirena, and to my surprise everything I have been suffering could be related to the Mirena! I have had it in for 2 years and now I am getting it out!"

Coleyroo (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2015

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "My partner and I were having sex when the condom accidently broke! It was the 14th day of my cycle, so I was fertile. As you can imagine, I was terrified. I took the pill 13 hours later. I was worried that it wasn't taken soon enough. But if you take it within 24 hrs, you'll be fine. I experienced lots of cramping and mood swings for 2 weeks. I seriously thought I was pregnant. I'm not ready for a child and sadly was contemplating abortion. My period came on the day it was expected and I couldn't be happeir to have my period! I'm going on the BC pills so I never have to experience this! Just relax & take this pill ASAP as timing is crucial."

HappyAndThankful87 May 22, 2015

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I've taken plan B one step after a mishap during unprotected sex. I took plan B about 1 hour and 45 minutes later and I am pretty positive I was fertile. After taking the pill I received bloating the next day and extreme fatigue. My period is due tomorrow and I would like to know how to make it come faster rather than having to wait and worrying myself even more. any suggestions? I know that since I took the medication so fast it has a high effectiveness level. I just want my period Asap!"

fireball111 (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2015

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Hi all! I just wanted to comment on my experience with Plan B, though different than all experiences out there, I thought it might shed a little light for some of you girls! I had completely unprotected sex one night (no condom, no birth control). A guy I had been seeing came over, next thing I know, we are having sex. I ran downstairs and took my roommates spare Plan B, 10 minutes after the incident. The next day I took another pill, 10 hours after. Its been just over 2 weeks....and YAY, my period has come :) Don't stress ladies, you should be fine!"

catlady18 May 22, 2015

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Condom broke, got plan B over the counter no problem. Took it yesterday and so far I've had none of the symptoms whatsoever. So for all of you girls who are sitting there terrified reading this like I was.. Don't be afraid to take it. I've had NONE of the side effects. And its better to be safe than sorry. You'd rather take it and not need it than to look back in a month while you're staring at your positive pregnancy test and wish you had just taken the stupid thing. Hopefully it works :)"

Oops... (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2015

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was diagnosed with perimenopause in 2010 which included anxiety depression and mood swings at the age of 40. I had blood clots flowing down my legs for ten days then in 13 days I would bleed again . I would be double over in pain. I became anemic and still am . My Dr has me on anti depressants for anxiety which is working. After 4 years I was sent to Gyno. She did ultrasound and discovered I had adenomyosus and endometriosis. She did a D&C it was too complicated to do ablation or hysterectomy. The Gyno recommended mirena. She put in 3 weeks ago . Dr cut string so can't feel it. Some light spotting and cramping and no period for 31 days now. Gyno will check in five weeks it takes 7 months to get full effect. give it a chance ! Love it so far."

Trixielynn May 22, 2015

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Ive had the skyla IUD for over a year now. It was very painful, even with cervix softening drugs, remember to take ibuprofen as well. It was inserted and I experienced heavy cramping. Before I had tried every birth control imaginable. I love my skyla. I was scared the first few months and had pregnancy tests on hand, but my RN reassured me after my month post op that I couldn't get pregnant. I would recommend skyla to everyone. Especially since on the depo shots I gained weight. The skyla has some progesterone but not so much as the depo Shots. Only downfall is the re insertion of my new IUD in 2 years. I have lost 10 pounds, and never have to remember appointments! Insurance covered because it's preventive health, no babies for me !!"

SteeleA May 22, 2015

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Today I had Skyla inserted. Have been using regular birth control pills for years. Decided to try Skyla to curve my high blood pressure due to the hormones in the birth control pills. Was informed to take Misoprostol 24 hours before appointment to prepare the cervix (make the procedure easier). They said this procedure would hurt worse because I have not had any children. This procedure was surprisingly very painful for me. Would not suggest this form of birth control unless you absolutely needed this form of birth control, only because I found it very painful."

"Get an IUD they said. It'll be fun they said" (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2015

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I took the pill for the first time ever 18 hours after the mishap happened. I was ovulating and I also experienced no side effects at all from the pill (not even spotting). My period came the exact day it was supposed to. Plan B works!"

Was paranoid, but May 21, 2015

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had decided to get Mirena as I am horrible at remembering to take pills. I have never had children and they aren't in my plans. At age 34 I had it inserted and it hurt more than I thought it would. It reduced my period frequency & the amount, BUT it completely killed my sex drive, which now, 2 years later is still non existent. I felt depressed soon afterwards and it never went away. I gained 20 pounds, which is odd as I eat well most of the time & go jogging with my boyfriend. Even he is now convinced that my lack of a sex drive, weight gain & inability to loose weight is a side effect of the Mirena. I just made an appointment to have it removed & plan to next just get my tubes tied."

no babies 4 me May 21, 2015

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "This summer - July of 2015 - will be exactly 5th year as I've had my mirena. I had it inserted 3 months after having my 2nd child and it took no more than 10 min for my Dr to do it. I loved having mirena for 5 years as I didn't have to worry about birth control at all! The only minus is that for first year or two I had irregular bleeding or to be correct spotting. It wasn't really a period but every couple of weeks I'd have to use slim daily pads for couple of days at a time. Still, it is much much better than having regular painful periods and to worry about birth control every day. So, I'm having my removed in a month and probably will give my uterus a rest for 2-3 month (if it's necessary I don't know... Maybe not) and get another one."

Reviewer (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2015

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Felt compelled to weigh in on the insertion issue. Everybody is different, of course, but I had read many forums in which woman after woman called the insertion excruciating, agonizing, or the worst pain they've ever felt. I am small-build (5'0), never had children. It was really not that bad. Three rather severe cramps - but nothing worse than I have had with a particularly bad period. I had no local anesthetic and I took 800mg ibuprofen one hour beforehand. It was inserted less than an hour ago and I am back at work and feeling fine. I think one thing that may make a difference is the experience of the nurse practitioner or doctor performing the procedure. The more experienced, the faster. Mine took less than three minutes total. Not bad."

ImaCaliGirl May 21, 2015

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had the Skyla placed a month ago. My Doc said I would experience some slight cramping during insertion and light cramps throughout the evening. I haven't had children & have a tilted uterus; 2 odds against my favor. The doctor clamped my uterus, pulled it straight to allow for placement, & manually dilated my cervix with another tool. The pain was excruciating. I was so miserable that I was holding my breath (accidentally) & nearly passed out. She told me to take Ibuprofen for pain. After bawling my eyes out 45 mins driving home, I took Ibuprofen, but no help. I called the MD back and she said this was "okay" since I had a tilted uterus and never had children (bad answer). Now it's been in for a month & cramps are rare & tolerable."

Anonymous May 21, 2015

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I had unprotected sex on Sunday at like 4 in the morning and I was freaking out so my boyfriend and I bought Plan B and I've been feeling super nauseous for the past four days now and have been very paranoid but I found this and read all of your comments and stories and it's made me feel so much better. I'm going to keep myself calm and just wait it out."

Anonymous May 20, 2015

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Ok I had mine inserted six weeks after my daughter was born Nov 2012. When it was inserted it hurt like heck. I had some cramping and bleeding nothing bad tho. I loved it until Easter 2013 I had one breast swell it was a small cyst. And no period for six months well of course I didn't think it was my mirena. Then my period suddenly came back. I have suffered a miscarriage. I have been so moody, cramps awful cramps, low sex drive my poor husband, breast swelling and tenderness again, cysts on both ovaries, hair loss, depression. I'm getting this thing yanked as soon as possible. And going back on the pill. I hate it! Do not recommend for anyone!"

Hannahbug May 20, 2015

For Emergency Contraception: "So my fiance and I had unprotected sex on May 6. We weren't scared or had any problems with having a baby. But since we are both still in college we decided that maybe it's not the right time to have one. So later on in the same day, we bought the generic brand of plan b. It was about 40 bucks. I read the symptoms and then took the pill. At that time it was about 5 hours after we had sex. Shortly after I started to have mild cramps for a few minutes but it went away. For a few days my breast became sore, it lasted for a little more than a week. Exactly a week after taking the pill I spotted blood, it was part of the side effects so I didn't worry. Its now May 20th, I got my period a week early. It really works!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2015

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "About two weeks ago I was completely drunk with one of my good friends and things escalated quickly. I woke up the next morning and panicked and had my friend rush to the store to get the pill. I took it with in 7 hours of unprotected sex. For the first two days I was so dizzy I had to lay down for a while and I felt nauseous. Then for about a week I had almost a kind of ovulation pain and I thought I was for sure pregnant. The whole time I had severe breast pain it was very very annoying, but then about two weeks after taking the pill I started a day early and I am very relieved. This pill works wonders don't worry, relax, it will do its job!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2015

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I just got my IUD (mirena) put in yesterday. I am 23 years old with a 1 year old son, my doctor recommended the IUD because I couldn't take anything oral that has hormones. I'm a complete b**** with the BC pills. The insertion was very uncomfortable for me and still have mild cramps, but I can say me and my fiance have a piece of mind that I won't be getting pregnant anytime soon, although we do want another. I read a lot of the negative experiences but everyone is different. So if you want to try it do it, and I love the fact that I don't have to remember a pill. Just talk with your doctor and I trust my gyno so I have no doubts."

iLoveMyBoys04/11/14 May 20, 2015