Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Aftera, EContra EZ, Fallback Solo, Liletta, Mirena, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Opcicon One-Step, Plan B, Plan B One-Step, Skyla

Learn more about Levonorgestrel.

Emergency Contraception 324 reviews 11 medications

7.5
Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 1214 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Review by AmethystRose:

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Overall, I've had an amazing experience with this so far. It's been effective and I haven't experienced any body changes like I did with the pill. Insertion was uncomfortable and the cramping lasted for the rest of that day (worst cramps I've ever had). Bled a lot in the first 3 weeks, now I just occasionally spot throughout the month (I've had it in for 2 months now). I highly recommend.

April 21, 2015 12:49 PM

Review by ladii bunnz (taken for less than 1 month):

Next Choice One Dose (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I took the one dose the morning after intercourse.... No side effects I am happy to say it did not work I have a 22 month son

April 21, 2015 11:59 AM

Review by Moreen2222222 (taken for less than 1 month):

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: The pill does work. March 10th, 2014 I brought Plan B one step after having sex with my boyfriend 7 hours later. I had very bad symptoms which was cramping, lower abdominal pain, and fatigue. These are symptoms of the pill. However my period came 12 days later. I had to take the pill again April 10th 2015 ( I took the generic brand Take Action) and I'm experiencing the same symptoms. Just now waiting for my period. It hasn't been 12 days yet and I'm not due until the 30th or 1st (last period started March 31st 2015 ) but it does work and I'm expecting a period in the next few days hopefully

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2015 4:33 PM

Review by dpdragonfly (taken for less than 1 month):

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Hello. I just had the Merina inserted 2 days ago. I am 50 and have horrible periods. Have started menopause, but periods are still really bad, so my doctor recommended the Merina. The insertion wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I had moderate cramps for a couple of hours, took advil an hour before my appointment and about 2 hours after and that's it. I have had a tiny bit of spotting, but no cramps. Hopefully, that's it for side effects. Thanks to all others who posted for very helpful information.

April 20, 2015 4:07 PM

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I had unprotected sex with a friend of mine after heavy drinking ( yes, I am 24 and I know it was a very stupid move) and realized we did not use protection probably 12 hours later when we were having breakfast. Initially after taking plan B, I did not have any symptoms. 5 days later I got the Plan b period which lasted 4 days.After all this stopped I thought I would be in the clear until my next period, however for the next almost 4 weeks I was nauseous, had chills, back pain and cramps. So to try to calm myself down I took a pregnancy test 3 weeks after intercourse followed by 26 days after intercourse ( both negative). 3 days ago I got my period and it was 3 days late. Try to stay calm as stress plays a huge factor. I am so thankful!!!!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2015 1:39 PM

Review by Efleming (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I'm a healthy and active 24 year old. I had mirena placed when my second child was 10 weeks old. I bleed quite a bit the first 2 months but then all of a sudden it stopped. I have not had a period or spotting in the last 4 months. I have the occasional cramp but that's it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2015 7:12 AM

Review by MarsB (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I've had mirena for over a month (inserted 7 weeks ago). I was worried about insertion, but honestly did not feel a thing. I spotted for about a month, 10 of those days I needed more than a panty liner. Since then spotting has stopped and husband cannot feel strings at all.

April 20, 2015 4:17 AM

Review by KimZ:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I just had Mirena inserted a week ago. I WAS TERRIFIED from reading all of the painful sounding reviews. But I followed through because I really do not like BC pills. I have to say it was NOT that bad! I took 4 Advil an hour before. Sure it was uncomfortable and bad cramping but it only lasted a few minutes. I had no cramping after the procedure but cramps later that night, similar to a bad period which I am used to. Mild cramps every now and then for the rest of the week. Spotting the first two days but nothing since then. I obviously haven't had it long enough to report side effects but will report back soon. I think everyone responds to IUDs differently and people like to write their horror stories. So far so good, hope it continues!

April 19, 2015 5:29 PM

Review by Ngerard11:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Well I've had the mirena for about 2 months. I'm 22, no kids. I have tried different pills but I was horrible about remembering. The insertion of the mirena was really painful. I have had kidney stones and insertion wasn't quite as bad as that. After 2 days of horrible cramping it went away. After 3 weeks of spotting/ bleeding I stopped and have not had any period since. I do have cramps sometimes. I have not gained or lost any weight. No hair loss. No changes in acne. The only thing I've noticed is that I now have lots of little fine hairs all over my chin and side of my face. Way more than before. Not a huge deal, but annoying. My boyfriend can not feel it at all and my sex drive is the same. So far I love it.

April 19, 2015 10:38 AM

Review by Alblacke:

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I had sex during my most fertile time! The condom broke and I was freaked out! I took plan B 30-36 hours after it happened. I was super tired the day I took it and slept most of the day. I then received bad cramps I thought I was "implanting"! A few days later I started getting nauseous and back pains I thought I was pregnant! That continued for almost a week.. And I got really sick... My boobs hurt, and I had awful pain in my back. At that point I was terrified! Now 2 days late I received my period!

April 18, 2015 8:55 PM

Review by zjamai (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I just got my second Mirena inserted today - I will seriously never do anything else. I've tried other methods (patch, NuvaRing, pill) and nothing compares to Mirena if you want longer-term birth control! Yes, it is fairly painful upon insertion, but it lasts for only about 40 seconds max, but it is so worth it! Both time I didn't have bleeding or cramping afterwards. My first time I didn't even have spotting, my periods just completely stopped for all 5 years. I am crossing my fingers for the same this time! I never had weight gain and my skin was amazingly clear. For those who are interested in low-maintenance, long-term birth control, I cannot recommend Mirena more!

April 17, 2015 4:32 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I just got my first IUD put in Mar 17/15 and the insertion was pain free because I was frozen but afterword’s was quit painful. I'm 40 with no children. Pain went away after about 6 hours. 1st week I had no spotting but cramps every day. 2nd week got my period, it was a little more painful then normal but then again I have endo so they are always painful and heavy, lasted regular 10 days. Now going into week 5 no bleeding but am still getting cramps every day. I haven’t noticed any mood changes. Hoping the cramping goes away soon. Thanks god for Advil! For the first 2 week I lived in track pants as I couldn’t wear anything tight because it would bring on the cramps. Happy so far as I hated taken the pill so hoping month 2 things get better.

April 17, 2015 8:36 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: My best advice is to stay calm. The pill works even if she is over weight. I had two wait two long weeks but reading these reviews helped calm my nerves. She took the pill within 24 hours. The faster you take it, the better. However learn from your mistakes so this wont happen again. Hope this helps.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2015 1:39 AM

Review by FijiA:

Next Choice One Dose (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I'm writing this review just to ease the conscience of some of you out there but trust me this pill works. I've had a to take plan B and this pill and they both did the job. Granted with Plan B I had less side effects but this pill I took 12 hours after having unprotected sex. I wasn't at my most fertile time of the month so that probably lessened my chances even more of getting pregnant but I took it just to make sure. Right after I took it I was extremely exhausted and took a really long nap. The other side effect I had was cramping and an occasional headache but nothing too bad. I actually ended up getting my period a day early but the cramps were excruciating. Other than that I was fine. The earlier you take it the better ladies

April 17, 2015 12:06 AM

Review by ARenee118 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I had the Mirena inserted at my 6-week postpartum check up in August 2014. The procedure was easy, no worse than any other OB/GYN experience. The first couple of months, my period was abnormal but eventually I had little to no periods at all (which is typical). The only negatives I have about Mirena is that it does hurt sometimes during sex if the intercourse gets a little intense. Also, I am completely convinced that it is the cause of my weight gain. I had lost all of my pregnancy weight and plus some before I had it put in. Since having Mirena, I have gained 40 pounds.

April 16, 2015 10:32 PM

Review by SAMommy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I had the Mirena put in after the pill failed again and my second child was born. It's worry free - also stopped my horrible cramps I used to have and my recurring ovarian cysts. Negative side though, zero sex drive. But I would rather have that than the chance of falling pregnant again.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2015 1:38 PM

Review by Lizziev (taken for less than 1 month):

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I had unprotected sex on April 8th took the pill 12hrs later! Experienced a few cramps and extreme tiredness! Yesterday April 14th my period started and I am extremely happy that this pill worked! Also I heard it does not work on overweight people but I weigh 180 and it worked for me!

April 15, 2015 1:20 PM

Review by Tawana908 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I switched from a Paragard to Mirena and guess what love it more everyday. No cycle, no acne no worries about protection. Yes a little discomfort when inserted but nothing a Tylenol would've cure. Love it

April 14, 2015 6:07 PM

Review by kmgz:

Next Choice (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I took the pill 20 or so hours after unprotected sex and when I woke up in the morning, I had almost immediate results. I woke up with lower abdominal pains (which is normal), and went about my daily routine. I started to experience a great amount of fatigue and I really honestly just wanted to sleep the whole day. I am telling you, the side effects are not too bad. Although, I missed my period. After I missed my period I began panicking but today I got my period! All is well, please do not stress out if you haven't gotten your period. Mine was 4 days late but this pill really works and it is worth the 50 or so dollars! :)

April 14, 2015 5:49 PM

Review by Venus1974:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have had since September 2014. I am 40 and have had problems with heavy bleeding, frequent periods, painful cramps, and depression during PMS since age 35. This has been great for relief of all my symptoms. Until my doctor mentioned this, I was looking at having a D & C done. I have had no weight gain, actually lost 5 pounds. Some spotting in beginning but very light periods now. No more depression the week before my period. It was a very positive experience for me.

April 14, 2015 11:55 AM

Review by CTM:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've had Mirena in for 4 1/2 months now and I'm still bleeding. I'm going through about 2-3 tampons every 24 hours. I've gone through about 6-7 snaps where it'll stop for a day or two and then it starts right back up. I'm out of town for a few months, but as soon as I get back I'm having it taken out. I haven't gotten pregnant during those snaps, so I guess it's effective if you're willing to spend your life bleeding.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 14, 2015 10:29 AM

Review by Aashley (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I was on paragard for a year because of the no hormones,but I couldn't deal with the pain.The cramps were unbareable,and my periods lasted 7 days and were so heavy,Id have to use a super tampon PLUS a large pad .I switched to mirena, hearing the pain was a lot less & could shorten periods. Almost a year later,I haven't gained a pound like I was so afraid of because of hormones.I've even been able to lose a few pounds! My period has also gone from heavy and 7 days long to 3 days and so light I only use panty liners; I don't even buy tampons. Negative parts: Ive gotten a few more zits every time my period comes around after being on mirena & still get horrible cramps, but definitely not as often: 1/2 days instead of weeks at a time. love it!

April 13, 2015 5:59 PM

Review by GGMarie:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: This was placed in April of 2014. I have had it removed a week ago due to very severe back pain. I also had anxiety, depression and severe headaches. I would rather have the bleeding. My headaches and back pain stopped once it was removed and suspect that the depression and anxiety will also improve now. My MD and OBGYN did not recommend removing it, but I insisted and am glad I did. They were convinced the back pain & headaches was due to something else.

April 13, 2015 9:30 AM

Review by chelbells:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I've had my mirena IUD in for about two months and I couldn't be happier. Getting it in was more painful than I expected and I had fairly intense cramping for about twelve hours afterward. By the next day I was at 100% and have had very few side effects. The spotting can be annoying, but my regular period has stopped entirely and my doctor says the spotting will stop soon. I wish I had done it earlier!

April 13, 2015 9:27 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: The pain of insertion was huge and I've had lots going on down there with a few cysts and surgery and stuff and this was the worst. Also, no one tells you about the blood from the insertion itself. There was a lot of blood, all over the place. My doctor said it was normal which I'm sure it was, but there was quite a bit, like the floor and the wall and the bed. I have now been bleeding for over two weeks and have had a lot of cramping. I've felt like shit, bad headaches, tired and everything. Not fun given it's end of school year...I have to agree with someones former remark, it's so effective at birth control because you really just don't want sex and all the blood. My husband has not been happy.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate