User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Aftera, Athentia Next, EContra EZ, Fallback Solo, Her Style, Liletta, Mirena, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Opcicon One-Step, Option 2, Plan B, Plan B One-Step, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Levonorgestrel.

Emergency Contraception 922 reviews 14 medications

8.8
Birth Control 1698 reviews 275 medications

7.2
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 245 reviews 162 medications

5.9
Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 2865 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I promised I would write this because just like you I was scouring the Internet for answers. I had unprotected sex on April 17th, the last day of my period, and my BF finished in me. He said not to worry since I was on my period but I was already freaking out so the next day I bought the plan B pill. I never had any side effects and it didn't make me sick. May 13th was when I was supposed to start my perod..and I didn't. So begins the freaking out even more and buying multiple pregnancy tests. Every test I took was negative but that didn't reassure me. My period is 11 days late but I finally started today!! I know it's hard not to but try not to worry. If you took this pI'll how you're supposed to it will work."

ShelbyLynnMUA May 24, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Reasons for the 9/10: 1) Cramping/spotting for 4-6 mos. My 1st time on Mirena, no period for 4yrs! 6yrs later, &6 days into 2nd Mirena I've got typical cramps/3.5d menstruation. 2) It could fall out/re-position itself in the cervix, (down from uterus). 5mos after a copper/hormone-free IUD, I found out that this had happened to me and I switched back to Mirena. Many people have had adverse effects from this med. incl. depression, anxiety, mood swings, constant spotting, painful cramps+. Having 5 years of experience on this med., then switching to a copper IUD for 5mos, I can say that Mirena has HELPED my depression/anxiety. Every body is different. Plus I'm not going to get pregnant! So, all in all, I'd recommend this to anyone."

Stlouisrach May 24, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had the Mirena inserted in 3/2014 at my 6 week check up after my son was born. The insertion was not terrible it was kind of like long papsmere with some cramping along with it. Afterwards I spotted for about 5 days and that was the end of that. My period went on normally for the next year slowly decreasing in flow and length. During my time on the birth control I experienced mood swings, hair loss, weight gain, inner aching, numerous ovarian cysts, and more yeast and bacterial infections than I can keep count of (over 30). I finally had it removed in the beginning of May 2016 and I feel a million times better. Yes my first period was very heavy and clotty but when it was over I felt 100% better. Different strokes for different folks."

Happier Without It (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 24, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "After years of having my periods every 2 1/2 weeks i decided to try the Mirena as a last option. I've had it in for 6 months. Its so great not to be bleeding all the time but I'm not sure if its the Mirena but i have gained weight and i continue to gain it and its freaking me out. I've been exercising and eating really well but I've slowly crept from a size AUS 14 up and up. I actually probably eat less than before the Mirena. Going to the dr to suss it out. Its not just the weight gain though. My hair has thinned dramatically. Next step hysterectomy."

Jadles123456789 May 24, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I got Mirena inserted about 3 monthes ago and I am so happy that I did. I had been on 4 different types of birth control pills and each of them affected me differently. I gained weight, had terrible mood swings, didn't have a sex drive, and was always fatigued. Now that I have gotten Mirena everything has changed... I lost almost 10 pounds now back to where I was before I ever started the pills! I weigh around 122 and when I was on the pills I weighed 132 and I was miserable. Mirena has made me have light bleeding here and there but my doctor said that it is just my body adjusting. I am very satisfied with it and I hope that it treats me well for the next 5 years!"

CarolineG May 24, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "My girlfriend took Plan B on the 12th of May, 4 hours after our "incident" she didn't have any physical side effects but she did get very emotional. She would cry about everything - but she wasn't stressed about pregnancy. She got her period on 8 days later on the 20th. I'm telling you guys, don't stress out - as long as you took it within your 72 hours, you will be fine. Remain calm, put on your favorite movie and think positively!"

Don'tStress! (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I took this one pill the next morning after sex. I woke up shaking and scared because it was a one night stand. I didn't fully trust him when he said he pulled out even tho I saw him cum when he did pull out. so I couldn't take the chances. I decided to run to my Walgreens and get one. it was expensive. but works. it's over the counter and the staff is discrete. they will most likely be in the feminine care isle or with the condemns. I had gotten my period about two weeks before so I wasent expecting it for another two weeks. I took it in the morning and didn't feel any symptoms. A couple days later maybe a week I got my period!!! I'm not pregnant. The cramps with my period however. we're painful.They were the worst moral. THIS PILL WORKS"

Aaaakkk (taken for less than 1 month) May 22, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I am 25 (2016) and got it inserted in December 2014. Insertion: a painful procedure for a tiny insertion. Followed by intense discomfort and pelvic pain, constant bleeding and pelvic and vaginal pain. Symptoms: first month or so nonstop bleeding, mood imbalance. 3 months. Continued frequent bleeding weight gain of 5 pounds. 6 months gained 15 pounds 1.5 years gained 20 pounds ( vegan, fit although no weight loss or maintenance) Experienced depressive symptoms such as lack of excitement, happiness, and lack of interest in previously preferred activities, fatigue and lethargy. I WAS GIVEN AS A METHOD TO TREAT NOT ONLY MENNORAGIA BUT OVARIAN CYST PAIN. REMOVE AS THIS IS COUNTERINTUITIVE AS ONE OF THE RISK"

Crohnscyster (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 22, 2016

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Okay so the incident happened on April 6th around 1 p.m (I was also on ovulation). The next day (April 7th) around 11 a.m. I took the pill. About a week later (April 13th) I started spotting, it was very light at first then it gradually got heavier, it was like a light period and it stopped on April 18th. I was so worried because my actual period was due April 24t, I miss it so I waited and waited and was going to test but I was too nervous to do it because I wasn't ready for a child yet. So I waited more and finally my period came on May 17th along with strong cramps. My advice for the ladies that have taken this pill, don't stress, it will delay your period even longer."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "My experience was fine, no side effects but I did end up getting pregnant. Took the pill within the first 12 hrs, just a heads up it can definitely happen."

C213 May 21, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Hey ya'll! I wanted to share my experience since I looked at these religiously prior to going. I got Skyla yesterday around 2 o'clock. I took 800 mg of ibuprofen around 1:15, prior to my appointment. When I went in the entire experience was an absolute breeze. She walked in, told me the risks, set up, and inserted Skyla, all within 7 minutes. I felt a slight period type cramp when she used the sound to measure my uterus, and then a another cramp when she inserted Skyla. The cramp on both occasions did not last longer than thirty seconds. I felt absolutely fine after and even went out to dinner and to a professional baseball game! Everyone is different but don't worry too much - you'll do great!"

19 with no babies! (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Im 41 years old with irregular bleeding. I have had mirena in for 9 months, and so far so good."

mature women (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 19, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "My partner and I had an accident and the condom came off, I was 10 days into my cycle and had a high chance of pregnancy. I took plan b about 16 hours after the incident. For the first two days I had some painful cramping and fatigue, but nothing too severe. I got my period 1-2 days early and couldn't be more pleased with how this works. When I first took the medication I obsessively googled people's experiences taking it so I wanted to add one more positive story into the mix. If you take it in good time, it works, try not to stress too much!"

RelievedAndPleased May 19, 2016

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Had procedure done 3 days ago. Shook during the procedure, but it was very quick. I was on the last day of my period, and still spotting. Feels like every time I eat I get intense cramps. Hoping it will get better soon."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

Next Choice One Dose (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Last week (night of May 10th/early May 11th) had some awesome sex, le condom broke though :( I took the pill around 6 the evening of the 12th. No crazy side effects - the first day I did feel a little nauseated, but I really think that was from stressin' out all day. I took it with food to keep my tummy happy, and for the time following I really focused on staying positive, eating healthy, getting good rest, & trusting the medicine to do its job. Yesterday I got my period (it was two days late but that's normal for me) it isn't any heavier than usual...I feel so relieved and thankful to live in a time where this is an option available to women! Hang in there & take good care of yourself, the pill works magic and it'll all turn out ok <3"

Dinahwontyoublow May 19, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "DON'T DO IT! I am 24, have a high pain tolerance, never have had any issue with my birth control, have never been pregnant, am healthy and active! The Skyla insertion was the worst pain I've ever had. I started balling crying. Once it was complete, I nearly passed out walking to my car. I was in severe pain all day and had to leave work. I figured all the pain would subside. I went home, used a heating pad, ate, took some pain killers but nothing helped. I had consistent spotting and cramping. I would usually work out every day... but I was in too much pain to do so. I waited about 10 days to have sex, only to bleed profusely and be in immense pain. I tried to wait it out, kept it in for about a month and eventually had to get it remove"

Leiloni (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had Skyla inserted 4 months ago and I am very glad I went ahead with the insertion. The only negative thing I have to say is that I have gained weight since the insertion. I've gained about 15 pounds but, it's not something I'm worried about. If I can give any advice, it would be to not pay attention to other people's ratings of this birth control method. Do what is best for YOU. You know your body and what is best for it. Insertion was painful. I won't lie to you there. I had terrible cramps for about 6 hours after but after that, it was a breeze. For me personally, getting Skyla was the best decision I could have made for birth control."

amandaltenn (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016

For Emergency Contraception: "i found this drug to have some quite horrible side effects, just be aware girls this is not a quick and pain free experience for some. I'm 39 with kids and usually tolerate a bit of discomfort. After taking one step I had severe abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, headache, dizziness , I felt like I might faint on several occasions . Bleeding was quite heavy, I was extremely tired, I experienced hot flushes and bloating, I lost my appetite also and felt generally very ill for several days. It did stop a possible pregnancy but I would never use it again"

MumMaria (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "i had this in under duress whilst having camera n biopsy..within 24hours i had headaches felt hot and flushed...over 4 days i felt really bloated and down...haf it took out after 6 days and instantly felt better"

michelleg45 (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I wasn't near as nervous as I shouldve been before the insertion of Skyla. My doctor said that in some cases your uterus can be pointed a different direction which affects the ease of the insertion, which was my case. Im not sure if this was the reason for my pain but I have never cramped this badly. After having it removed I nearly passed out. I can normally tolerate pain but I've never hurt as bad as I did following the insertion. My cramps were nearly unbearable. I would go through spells that feel how that of contractions would. The cramping eased off after 2 days but it wasnt the end. I'm on my 5th week and although Im not bleeding anymore (I was previously on Depo which made me bleed a consistent 3 1/2 months) It occasionaly cramps."

HannahG May 18, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Skyla insertion was the most painful thing of my life. It felt like giving birth and the cramps lasted all day. I was pale sweating and dizzy after insertion. Took me and hour to be able to leave the doctors office. However I had the Nexplanon and that was an absolute disaster so I had to choose a different method. I am excited to see how the Skyla works for me (after the pain goes away)."

Kerry555 May 17, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Update: One month with Skyla! So far I have only bled one week out of the month, woohoo! Also my acne is a lot better, and my weight hasn't changed much tho, although I wish I didn't have an appetite so I could lose more weight! Went to the doctor today and he said everything was still in place and it was looking good! Now only yearly check ups from now on! Hoping for the best!"

18 no kids (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Love love love it! I got pregnant while using nuvaring so I wanted a bc that was much safer, well I found it!!! I hated it the first month but everything after that has been a breeze! 1000% worth it! I recommend to all my girlfriends"

nomorebabies (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 17, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I had unprotected sex on the seventh. Took the pill about 2 hours later. I didn't experience any side effects at all after taking it. I usually start my period on the 15th, and I had been cramping a couple days before along with mood swings. On the fifteenth I started just having some light brown discharge, and this continued for two days. I was worried that it might be implantation bleeding, but on the 17th I finally started bleeding. The pill worked great, but I never want to experience the stress of it ever again."

finallysawred May 17, 2016

Aftera (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Me and my boyfriend always have safe sex, but this time the condom seemed to come off inside of me and we didn't notice until after he finished. I took Aftera about 1 hour after it happened. IT REALLY WORKS. My ovulation window was around that time and I was freaking out. My period comes every 30 days and I got it on time! (two weeks after taking the pill). I'm on my third day of having my period and it is lighter than usual, but not to a big degree. The only symptoms I got from the pill were dizziness, nausea, and fatigue. This was my first time taking Aftera and it was very effective. The sooner you take it, the better it works."

T0t0r0 May 17, 2016