User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Aftera, Athentia Next, EContra EZ, Fallback Solo, Liletta, Mirena, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Opcicon One-Step, Plan B, Plan B One-Step, Skyla

Learn more about Levonorgestrel.

Emergency Contraception 764 reviews 12 medications

8.9
Birth Control 1442 reviews 271 medications

7.3
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 201 reviews 162 medications

6.2
Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 2407 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I was super nervous for my Mirena insertion and for no reason! The process from start to finish was about 2 minutes and I had zero pain. The most significant discomfort was the speculum which was mild. I highly recommend Mirena to anyone looking for long-term, low maintenance birth control."

Mamaof1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 9, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had skyla inserted October 2014, it is now February 2016. I am 29 years old and have been on birth control since I was 21. I have tried several different varieties of the pill as well as Nuevo ring. In search of the perfect birth control I think skyla comes close, but not perfect. There a couple cons to this birth control, but in my opinion the pros definitely out weigh the cons. Pro: free- completely covered by my insurance. Pro: almost worry free. I was told to check the strings every month to make sure the IUD is still in place. So far so good. con: When I switched to skyla my menstrual cramps returned after almost 9 years. They are not as bad as I remember and after a heating pad and Advil I am fine. con: irregular period"

Roheath February 9, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had the skyla inserted 02/03/2016 I have 2 kids I still felt some pain and some spotting it's pretty comfortable but keep in mind everybody's body is different just go based on your own experience"

1215karla (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Sometimes things get out of hand, and before you know it, you're rushing to go grab plan b at the crack of dawn. I was just finishing my menstrual cycle when I took the pill and was feeling a lot of anxiety about having to wait a whole month to see whether it would work or not. Five days after taking plan b I experienced heavy bleeding, much heavier than my actual period. It lasted for about a week... and then nothing. I ended up being a total of ten days late for my period. I know it's easy to freak out BUT DON'T. This pill is used as emergency contraception because it had to go through a series of tests before it could even be put on the shelves. It works. Wishing you all the best of luck!"

Thank-Goodness (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Same as most of you, I spent 99.9% of my time freaking out. The condom broke and he finished on a day that my period planner told me I was fertile. I took plan b 45 minutes after the incident. I spent 2 weeks freaking out and stressing. I got my period a day earlier with really bad cramps. It worked, not complaining! Just thought this post might ease someone's mind!"

B47392 February 8, 2016

For Birth Control: "I had one ring worm that developed near the inplant and then after a few days, many more began developing around my body. The doctor said its just a ring worm when I consulted after one appeared but now that many more are developing everywhere its clearly a reaction from the implant. Has anyone experienced this? I need help and am in state of panic because I don't know what is wrong."

TPMK February 8, 2016

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Got severe menstrual-like and abdominal cramps as well as severe diarrhea. But it worked!"

Alyssa J. (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I was considering changing over to the implant because the insertion process sounds easier but after reading THOSE reviews...I think I'll stick to my Mirena. All in all I love my Mirena. It will be 4 years this month since I've had it. I haven't had a period in over 3 years. Occasional spotting. Rare cramps. I haven't noticed any mood changes or acne or anything else people are reporting. My bf has never noticed when we have sex and there is no discomfort for me before or after. The ONLY thing I would say was not very pleasant about the Mirena is the insertion. Probably the most painful thing I've ever experienced thus far (32 yrs old, never been pregnant/given birth). Lasts a sec tho. All in all, highly recommend :)"

Loren84 February 7, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I had protected sex and he pulled out with the condom on. Paranoid, I took Plan B (within the 24 time range) anyway because my period tracker app told me I ovulated the next day. I was stressing majorly. The side effects I had included: extreme mood swings, little cramping, and fatigue. My period came one day late and everything is fine. I don't think I needed this, but my advice would be to use a condom every time and also try to go on sometime of birth control. You can get this at any pharmacy for around $50. I suggest keeping at least one of these stocked in your shelve at home if any stores are closed and you have a BC mishap or unprotected sex. Best of luck!"

dragonqueen1212 (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "These reviews scared me to death, but I decided to try it anyway. I've never had a child, so the insertion was super painful, even though I was on the last day of my period and got both a shot and medication for softening and opening the cervix. It wasn't sharp pain, just extreme discomfort pain, but after it was in, it didn't hurt. I've felt fine since, aside from some minor cramping. It's been 12 hours and I haven't bleed or cramped a lot. So far so good. I'll update later."

First time on BC (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I decided to write this because these reviews helped me to stop worrying. I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend on Saturday January 30th. (A week ago today) He didn't ejaculate inside me but I realized how risky what we had done was, so the day after, approximately 25 hours after the sex, I bought a generic form of plan B. I experienced very mild cramping, like almost none at all, plenty of discharge, nausea, and bloating. Today I got my period. I have never been so excited to see blood. So I'm just here to say that plan b works. I know this is easier said than done, but don't stress. It will work. symptoms sucked but worth it. Hope I could ease your mind"

ScaredScaredScared (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2016

Aftera (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I took the pill about 25 hours later and I am not pregnant however I don't know if I needed to take the pill because he did pull out. I am currently on my period and it has lasted way longer than normal usually mine lasts 5 days and it's lasted a week and it's still a very heavy flow usually mine is only heavy for two days also it's a lot. I am about to start birth control tomorrow I recommend getting on it if you are sexually active."

Samantha01023 February 6, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I have 3 children my youngest being 3 months old, my husband planned for a vasectomy in February so in the mean time I had Skyla placed just a month ago. Worse pain I have ever felt and I had natural labor before, I spotted for a week then it stopped , then these unusual cramps started where I would have to stop what ever I was doing and breathe throu the pain, it was awful. I made an appointment with my OB to check it out and a week before it The pains stopped so I cancelled it. Today was my month check up to make sure the IUD was placed correctly still, well it moved and I have to have it surgically removed , I would not recommend this to anyone not even my worse enemy."

Fuino February 6, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I'm 22, no kids and I just got the Skyla inserted yesterday 2/4/16. I read all these horror stories online and made myself extremely nervous! The whole experience took about 15min from signing in to waiting my turn to the actual insertion to walking out the door. The insertion was very painful but lasted only 30secs! I cramped all day after but nothing ibufrofen couldn't help. I spotted for a few hours. Used a heating pad to help with the cramps. I switched to skyla from depo and I'm hoping I made the right choice. Only on day two so I will update when I got back for my follow up."

Quene February 5, 2016

Liletta (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had Liletta inserted the 15th of January 2016. The insertion was a bit painful, but quick. Since insertion, maybe two light spells of cramps. I did bleed and are still bleeding, but very lite. I'm supposed to start my first period within three days, waiting to see how that will be. I have had NO weight gain, food cravings, or nausea. I absolutely LOVE Liletta! The only concern I had was whether its effectiveness was immediate or you had to use a backup method for seven days. I was on the pill prior to insertion and my IUD was inserted on the 5th day of my period."

JustineMDawson February 5, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "(18) First of all my doctor did not prescribe any pain med or even tell me to take Advil before coming in to have Skyla inserted. I loved the idea of a 3 year birth control with no work as I can hardly remember to take my daily vitamin everyday! It was the worst pain of my whole entire life. I've had 160lbs fall directly onto the top of my knee cap and this experience was by far worse than that. I have longer lighter periods now which I hate because my period was perfect before, the standard 7 day period and now I bleed randomly and there is no pattern at all. After it was inserted I went to check out and felt so faint and sick I ran to the bathroom and almost threw up. I felt awful and like I was going to pass out. The mood swings suck."

Getting this out ASAP (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 5, 2016

For Emergency Contraception: "Plan B works I took Take Action pill on the day I had sex on Jan 24 like about hour later with a guy it's been three years him and I haven't had sex.. But this was the first time again us doing it.. So Jan 24 we did it using protection... Well he cum inside the condom once he finished... But once he pullout... He said dude where's the condom... When he said that I was shittin bricks...once he said that.. He looked on the bed and floor nothing. so then both in our minds where the Heck is it. Til later he says its stuck inside you... First time ever happening to us - an accidents like this to happen. So I was in your position wondering does this pill work. That's my first time taking it since I never had that happen before.. But it works..."

Angelgurl44 February 5, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Caused cramps and weight gain took it out after 3 months after the crazy mood swings"

Safi87 February 5, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I am 22 with a two and a half month old baby. I just had the Skyla inserted yesterday. I had made myself sick reading all the reviews and horror stories. I almost skipped my appointment! I took 600mg of Ibuprofen (because of the fear). I kid you not, I didn't feel a thing! Not a pinch, or a cramp, or anything at all! I was able to drive and walk right afterwards, no pain, dizziness, or any of that! By the time I got home, I felt a hint of a cramp but was completely fine. We're now into the next morning and I feel more crampy but its manageable. The worst side effect for me so far is really bad gas and I feel a bit crabby. Its not horrible for everyone! Please don't kill yourself with these reviews if you are about to get the Skyla."

LiaJ February 4, 2016

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "'I had sex on 1/16 the condom slipped off and we didnt notice till we where done. According to my period tracker I was fertile the day I had sex my ovulation day was the 20. I was totally freaking out. The next day I went to buy Plan B($54) I took the pill at 5:40pm 18 hours after the accident. The next week I had swollen breast, cramps and I was eating a lot I was scared that I might be pregnant. I took a pregnancy test and it show negative. . I was stressing out for two weeks. Till finally Feb 1 I got my period right on time. I have never been so happy to get my period. Plan B worked for me. I Hope It works for you too. Good Luck"

Trust Plan B (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got my IUD inserted Jan 4 2016, I am 25 and have no children. The implantation was painful but lasted less than 1 min. I did not experience cramping but I do have spotting. I am currently on my 1st period since getting skyla implanted. I'm used to the pretty much non existent periods from my oral contraception. I'm 6 days into my period :( . Not having to take a pill everyday at the same time and filling a prescription is a plus but I'm so over irregular bleeding. I will give this thing a full 6 months before I consider removing it."

:) (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "So I just had my skyla inserted. I really don't know why people say it's the worst pain of your life, my doctor prescribed medication to soften the cervix and I took 800mg about an hour before my appointment. My doctor also applied topical anesthetic and while I was mentally preparing myself for the pain he told me we were done. I couldn't help but laugh at myself for being so nervous. Ladies just ask your doctor to take these measures to make you comfortable and you'll be fine"

Becca D February 3, 2016

Next Choice (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I took this pill 19 hours after our condom leaked. My period had just ended, so we wanted to be cautious. I took it on Jan 4, 5 days later I had some abdominal cramping, a severe headache and cramping. The bleeding and cramping lasted 4 1/2 days. I also had some very minor light headedness off on of during January, but I'm not sure if it was really caused by the pill or not. My next period was very late, I usually have a short cycle, about 25 days since I don't use birth control pills regularly it's length is irregular, but mine came a full 7 days after my longest cycle of 28 days. It started on Feb 2. I did have more cramping the week before it started. The cramping was not fun, but at least it worked."

Anonymous jan 2016 February 3, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I just got the Skyla inserted this afternoon so I can't say anything for the long term experience but the insertion was bearable. I definitely felt it and possibly let out an audible "yelp" but as soon as it was over the pain subsided. Maybe 30 seconds of total pain. Afterwards I had mild cramps, similar to first day period cramps, but to be fair they wanted me on my period during insertion so who knows if it's from the insertion or just normal period cramping. I did make the mistake of being fairly active and going out to dinner and the cramping was pretty unbearable. Just wave after wave of bad cramping. I'm hoping once I get some rest that the cramps will subside. Fingers crossed."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "It did hurt but it was quick. It was pretty uncomfortable, like any OBGYN visit. The part that hurt the most was when they pinched the cervix. It was sharp and crampy. But it only last like a 30 seconds. I did feel cramps the rest of the day. My period is now very light and I get mild cramps. They are not as bad as they used to be. I thought my periods were going to be gone for good tho :( lol oh well. It is a great feeling knowing I will not be pregnant at least before I am 22. :)"

19, no kids, 2 weeks with iud (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016