User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Fallback Solo, Mirena, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Opcicon One-Step, Plan B, Plan B One-Step, Skyla

Learn more about Levonorgestrel.

Emergency Contraception 226 reviews 25 medications

7.3
Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 1002 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Review by VanessaGeee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I took this pill after 24 hours of the accident. 5 days later I got what they say is a "Plan B Period" even though I got that I was still stressing think of the what if's, the next month my period was late 7 days late in fact but it eventually came. I am so thankful for this pill. What I learned is don't stress if you take the pill directed you will be fine. The only down side was I got extremely tired

October 16, 2014 6:28 AM

Review by ironside88 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: This amazing device has well and truly changed my life. I used to suffer from extremely heavy periods with cramps and sickness that meant I had to take a minimum of half a day off work a month. I now barely have periods and no longer have to plan my life around those few days each month. I have only given it a 9 because it was pretty painful to insert, otherwise I would have definitely given 10.

October 14, 2014 5:06 PM

Review by lola la:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I'm so happy Plan B helped me! I took a pill after 30 hours unprotected sex and I had my period in a week.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 11, 2014 5:46 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I've taken it twice and it has worked both times! I had horrible cramps both times, but it is worth it. dont second guess it, if you think you need it buy it. it should work

October 6, 2014 2:02 AM

Review by Josho:

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: Girlfriend and I had sex, condom broke and didn't realize till we finished. She was not on birth control and we were freaking out. She took the pill about 5 hours later, and for the next 2 weeks had some mild symptoms and light bleeding. Confirmed she was not pregnant a few weeks later. Pill does miracles, don't worry about the statistics (just there in case it happens to not work). If you take it before 24 hours, I'd personally say you have a 100% chance of it working.

October 5, 2014 3:44 AM

Review by lana23 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Enjoying the idea of the Mirena more than having it at the moment. Got it inserted on 10th September 2014 the day that my period finished and have had a heavy period ever since. It's great to not take a pill every day and sex isn't painful as I worried, although there isn't any need to worry because the bleeding is preventing that from happening. I just really hope it settles down and that the bleeding stops. Very jealous of everyone who only had a day or two of spotting.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2014 12:34 AM

Review by thistlesandthorns (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I had my Skyla IUD inserted 04 Sep 2014 so I am only commenting on my first month after having it inserted. I am a 33 year old woman, no children, and hormonal birth control was no longer agreeing with my body (mood swings, heavy bleeding, large clots, periods lasting 2 weeks, etc.) My doctor and I agreed to the Skyla IUD (I had already done research.) So far so good. I haven't had any mood or sex drive changes and feel 100% better than I did on oral contraceptives. Out of pocket, my IUD would have cost $1400. My insurance covered 100% of it.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2014 1:51 PM

Review by hma123:

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: Just wanted to say that this product worked for me. I waited about 24 hours after I had intercourse so I was worried it wouldn't work because it says the sooner the better. I had mild cramps & my breasts were pretty sore, nothing too intense though. My period came this morning, which is just a couple days off from when I usually start so yeah I'm very relieved. Best advice I can give is to try your very best not to get overly stressed, that never helps.

September 30, 2014 4:57 PM

Review by Relieved Couple:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: A little over a week ago the condom broke during sex. So within 20 minutes we went and got the pill and I took it. I have always had an irregular period, meaning I go months sometimes without periods, so I had no idea what stage I was at within my menstrual cycle. After 8 long days of cramps, back pain, tender breasts, and serious mood swings, I got a period! If it worked for me, it will work for you, too. The key is to take it as soon as possible and to remain calm. The more stressed you are, the longer you'll go without a period. And yes, you may have some terrible symptoms. But at the moment, it's better than being pregnant!

September 25, 2014 11:43 AM

Review by Britt1234:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Had it for years and love it. Changed it out after not having a period for years and boy it was painful. My first Mirena was nearly painless - just a little tuck. This time it stabbed me hard a few times (quite painful) but each time it was over in seconds. I had menstrual cramps for an hour and that was it. I didn't even get my bleeding back (just a little right afterwards). Yeah! May advice: if you choose the Mirena be patient - the first year I constantly bleed off and on but then my period disappeared. Find a doctor who has done this a lot - I believe experience is the key! Also - have it done when your cervix is dilated during your period. I took Misoprostol for that the night before but that did not help.

September 24, 2014 7:30 PM

Review by RoccaRochetta:

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: Hi you all. I have to say if you are worried to take a deep breath because it works however for me the side effects were terrible. Had unprotected sex (condom broke) and he did not come inside me. 6 h later I got paranoid and took Plan B. That was around 1pm. I felt fine the entire day until 9pm where I just started to get diarrhea, nausea, and the feeling of being really tired (my eyes just could not stay focus and wide open). The room was spinning so much I had to sleep on a chair and suck ice cubes. My period was due for another week and a half. The effect lasted for 2-3days (did not go to school). On the 5th day I got my period.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 22, 2014 11:29 PM

Review by teeny83:

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I took plan B years ago when it was 2 pills never had any issues. In March 2011 I took it again and it was only 1 pill, I ended up getting pregnant (he was my miracle baby) I couldn't be happier. I took it again 1 week and starting bleeding very badly on Sat.

September 22, 2014 2:34 PM

Review by Life-changing!:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I love, love, love Mirena. I had my first one put in when I was 21 due to debilitating periods, and I hadn't had any kids. Not going to lie - the pain was truly horrible upon insertion, and I did cramp for weeks afterwards, but after that cleared up 5 years of no periods changed my life. I just had my second one put in yesterday and it was nowhere near as traumatic as the first time since my hormones had leveled out. I HIGHLY recommend it for women who don't want/can't take high estrogen birth control or would like to stop their periods safely. It's been absolutely life-changing for me, and I hope Mirena and other IUD's continue to gain popularity as people see how great they really can be.

September 19, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by terrible emotions:

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: Plan B definitely helps with not getting pregnant but the emotional level is TERRIBLE. I react super bad to hormones so this has been a nightmare.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 17, 2014 9:20 PM

Review by Wee:

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: So me & a friend got really drunk & we ended up having sex, which I only have flashbacks of. He doesn't remember anything so I chose to tell him we didn't do it because I didn't want him to know he was the one who took my virginity. So I took the pill about 40 hours after, I was extremely scared!! Only thinking the worst. Then 7 long days later, I got my period!!! I had really bad cramping. I wanted to share my story because a lot of yours helped me calm my nerves! Xoxo

September 17, 2014 7:16 PM

Review by Imnotagirl:

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I may not be a female, but trust me, this works! Me and my girlfriend have used this pill at least 2 times already, and we still don't have a baby! The sooner you take it, the higher chance there is of not becoming pregnant. So if you're reading this all worried, then don't be! Just buy the pill, and drink it! It worked for my girlfriend.

September 12, 2014 10:44 PM

Review by wyo lyd (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I got the Skyla IUD put in in the beginning of May 2014 due to my inability to take combined hormonal birth control of any sort due to major migraines and mood swings. My first two periods after insertion gave me the most terrible cramps, but have since lightened up a lot as has my period flow. It messed with my sex drive for a while, but that seems to have evened out as well. The only real downside that I can tell is the 3 or so days of spotting after my period, but that has slowly been disappearing as well. I would honestly suggest the Skyla to anyone after all my terrible experiences with other birth controls this has been a major God send.

September 12, 2014 4:19 PM

Review by Tlp123 (taken for less than 1 month):

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: Missed a birth control pill on the 9th day of my packet and took Plan B 24 hrs later. The condom split during sex 4 days later and I really panicked and took the morning after pill 14 hours later. I had every pregnancy symptom you could imagine I had myself convinced I was! I'm only 18 and was so scared of what might happen, but my withdrawal bleed came today one day early, although it is lighter than it usually is.. Rest assured this pill really works don't worry yourself sick like I did.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 11, 2014 3:57 AM

Review by Kay888:

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I took Plan B 10 hours after having unprotected sex with my boyfriend and for two days I was nauseous, and I had no appetite, but that passed. A week later, I got my period but it was extremely heavy with blood clots, but I'd rather have a heavy flow than a baby.

September 10, 2014 8:06 PM

Review by v.rodriguez (taken for less than 1 month):

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend 5 days before I was supposed to get my period. I went to go buy emergency contraception after 48 hours. Some symptoms I experienced were breast pains or tenderness, tiredness, and I did break out. Don't worry I was paranoid too since I took it after 48 hours. I was researching all day if this pill does work. Well it did for me. I did get my period 8 days late. But, I got it.

September 9, 2014 5:54 PM

Review by Vikki-Carmina (taken for less than 1 month):

For Emergency Contraception: Let me start off by saying this can happen to anyone. I'm a nurse. On 8/31 my boyfriend's condom broke. He noticed & pulled out right before he ejaculated. Although I didn't think I was pregnant,12 hours later I took the My Choice brand contraceptive. The only side effects I had were achy soreness in my shoulders, little bit of nausea, and exhaustion (but I was up all night worrying if I could become pregnant so I have to factor that in too). Being a RN, I researched the medication, it's side effects, etc. I also purchased Midol & chewable Pepto Bismal---great investment! First sign of a side effect I took the correlating med. Worked like a charm! Today is 9/8, was spotting but it's gotten heavier so it works! I'm 2 weeks early!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 9, 2014 12:38 AM

Review by ParanoidasHell:

My Way (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: I'm going to start this off by saying I was that girl who searched up every ache or pain I was having to see if it was a sign of pregnancy. I worried myself sick (I'm only 18 and leaving for my first year of college in a few weeks) I take regular birth control for acne but I wasn't very consistent. I had sex for the first time with my boyfriend and the condom broke, just our luck. Me being paranoid made him run out to the local Pharmacy and buy My Way and I took it within 4 hours of the incident. I had nausea for about a week, I was fatigued, my breasts were extremely sore after about 3 weeks, I had cramping and lower stomach pain. My period was about a week late, but I got it! RELAX. This pill works! Trust me!

September 5, 2014 5:49 AM

Review by OddAud:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had my Mirena inserted exactly a year ago at the age of 56. Now 57 and still no menopause in sight. In fact I just got my period today. Granted its lighter than it was before Mirena but out of the last year, I have at least spotted almost every day. June was a good month for me with my first skipped period and no spotting. July one day of spotting. Went for my Pap smear in August, told my GYN that it looks like maybe this thing is finally working, started spotting that night and never stopped for the entire last month. I give up. I do give Mirena a 7 though because my periods are lighter, albeit right on time every month, unfortunately. I will keep it inserted as it is now about what I know.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2014 12:18 PM

Review by NYCGirl729:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Mirena gave me my life back. Ever since I hit puberty at 11 years old I have had horrible, very heavy, very painful periods . Around 18 I was diagnosed with Endometriosis. I would miss school, work, have to double layer my clothes when i slept it was horrible. I tried every birth control out there including Seasonique, The NuvaRing, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Depo-Provera, Loestrin, Lybrel, if you name it I've tried it. Nothing worked. I started having periods that would last for 2-3 weeks. Finally I tried Mirena, having it put in was painful- but bearable. The first 6 weeks I had cramps and spotting. After that nothing. I get a very light 2-3 day period now and then. No cramps. It's amazing and gave me my life back. I'm so thankful for it!

September 3, 2014 2:59 PM

Review by akk99222212:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I got my Mirena almost 6 months ago now and I absolutely love it. I read so many reviews that made me hesitate to get it - it took me months to decide which birth control to get, but my Dr recommended this so I trusted her. I have had 1 child previously, 2 years ago now, so I think that helped make my experience smooth. I took some ibuprofen before getting it put in and there was discomfort but nothing unbearable. I spotted and had irregular periods for the first 2 months, it was really annoying. Then I spotted occasionally for another two months or so. My periods have stopped completely now so it was worth it. Also, the cramping was not bad at all. Nothing more than the moderate period pains I used to get. And my partner never notices it.

September 3, 2014 12:27 PM