User Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Also known as: Aftera, EContra EZ, Fallback Solo, Liletta, Mirena, My Way, Next Choice, Next Choice One Dose, Norplant System, Opcicon One-Step, Plan B, Plan B One-Step, Skyla

Learn more about Levonorgestrel.

Emergency Contraception 513 reviews 11 medications

9.1
Birth Control 1063 reviews 255 medications

7.5
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 142 reviews 163 medications

6.9
Summary of Levonorgestrel reviews 1718 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Levonorgestrel

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I took plan b late July because like everyone, accidents happen.. A couple days later, I started to bleed (first a brown-reddish discharge, then it turned like a period) for a couple of days. It worried me because my period wasn't supposed to come until two weeks.. After the two weeks come, I missed my regular period.. I took about 4-5 pregnancy test, ALL negative. I began feeling my breasts become very heavy and I started to cramp and sure enough, I thought I was pregnant. I began a parsley regime to try to induce my period, but it did not work. I recounted the days I'm supposed to have my period, starting with the first time I bled, and my period came right on time after that! Overall it works, you just need to be patient!"

NOT pregnant college student (taken for less than 1 month) August 24, 2015

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I am 39, no kids. I have found Skyla to be worth it. Like all BCs, initially you xp the hormonal flux with acne & side effects. After 3 mos it regulates. I like OB/GYNs, my pref due to abnormal situations. I am highly sensitive to meds. Process: (Clamp, measure, insertion, ultra sound). My docs explanation & I do agree: Sklya for those with no children. Merina - had children. Paraguard - older women going thru the change. My xp: Take a Motrin night before & morning of. 1st day, med pain/lightheaded at insertion, then take a Motrin & lay down. 2nd day - less cramping. 3rd day- normal. Look at this way, you hit your knee on a table. The bruise hurts for about 2-3 days, then your fine. Same xp."

jc2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2015

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Okay so let me tell you all about my journey with Plan B One-Step. I had unprotected sex. I don't know for sure if my boyfriend had ***** inside me or not so I took the pill. And so I took the pill 30 mins after. I got my period a day early. Yes it does work if you think it earlier but be aware I had a very bad mood swings I was angry or allot. And had very bad stomach and head pains that I thought I might die at any second. I'm not trying to scare anybody away from the drug I'm just warning people. The reason why I don't give a 10 stars is because of the pain and discomfort I was in . But I did work."

Dhhvfgjjb August 24, 2015

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I experienced normal bleeding after getting it put in was a little worried because I bleed for a while after getting it put in. Was told it was normal. I have since not even thought about it. I have no problems or issues with it actually really like this birth control and I've tried many before"

use2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 24, 2015

Aftera (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I know it's hard not freaking out, but guys try to calm down and wait for the effect of the pill. On august 6th my condom broke and I came inside my girl without notice it. After the accident in an hour and a half she took the pill (Aftera), and all we could do was waiting. It were the longest days of my life because we just meet, and also she has a very irregular periods, not having even menstrual cycle over the last three months. However, after ten days and some moderate side effects she got her period. That really relieved me, and I am pretty sure the pill worked its job. I found this site during my anxious time, and reading these reviews helped me not to get out of my mind. Always use condom!"

Guest123 August 24, 2015

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Thought I'd share my experience thus far. 32 yr old, no children. Had Mirena inserted Aug 10th. Gyne prescribed cervix softener to be inserted night before insertion and recommend I take Advil 1 hr before procedure. I still felt a sharp pain that lasted all of about a minute upon insertion. After insertion had mild cramping for two days and light to moderate spotting/Brown discgarge since insertion. I am really happy with it so far."

Happy with Mirena August 23, 2015

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've been using Mirena for 3 years, after initial spotting I have yet to have a period. Once in a great while I'll spot a little bit. But I'm having it removed as soon as my husband gets a vasectomy because I am carrying around 15 extra pounds and my mood swings have been bad for all these years. I work out 5x/week and eat clean 90% of the time but cannot lose the weight. I am sick of it. I can't wait to be free of this. It was a good, convenient form of birth control, just not for me anymore."

Fytress (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 23, 2015

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I got Skyla inserted 5 days ago. I think it's also helpful to mentioned I naturally miscarried last year for the first time in case anyone wants a comparison. (Skyla insertion > miscarriage) I was terrified of the insertion process but it wasn't like any of the horror stories I've read. I should say I took two ibuprofen 200mg 30 mins before. The best way to describe it is like getting a Pap smear but for an extra minute. The whole process was less than 2 mins & it just felt like an intense cramp briefly. After that I went back to work & didn't feel different for 6 hrs, aside from mental awareness. However, 6 hrs later I started getting bad cramps I remedied w/ sleeping through it. Now just spotting & occasional mild cramps, but no regrets"

Cdt052 August 23, 2015

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I'm 21 and joined the Skyla club four days ago and the procedure did not hurt one bit (with the use of numbing beforehand). HOWEVER the cramps afterwards were some of the worst pain I've ever experienced. I took a muscle relaxer, cried, and laid in bed with a heating pad all day long until the pain subsided. The next day there were barely any cramps. However last night the cramps returned, they were not as painful as before but it prevented me from sleeping and they were enough to groan in pain once every 5 minutes. Today, the cramps are still there but not as bad. Im hoping the painful contraction-like cramps never return."

Alaskarose325 August 23, 2015

Plan B One-Step (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I had unprotected sex on the 9th of August.Took plan b on the 10th 20 hours later. Yesterday, 12 days later, I got a positive pregnancy test. I've used plan b a few times in my life. I'm in my late 20s. I've never had a problem with it working. Guess I'm in that unlucky 5% "

pregnant1105 August 23, 2015

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "The process did hurt a lot but, it's worth it. Especially if you want to figure out what life really truly has to offer, without the worry of a child. I didn't cramp as bad as I did while on the pill. However, I did cramp like I was on my period. I did spot/ have light bleeding for 2months. Doctors said that was normal. Overall I love the skyla and thinking about getting annoying November, no my 3years won't be up, just don't need any mishaps when it's really time for anew one."

Sess August 22, 2015

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Okay great so I'm not pregnant, but wow my head is pounding and my stomach is all over the place. I have never experienced cramps this horrible. This sucks but I guess it's better than a baby."

AliCat51 August 21, 2015

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "After having two children, I opted to have the Mirena inserted at my 6week PP visit, instead of using the pill. The insertion wasn't painful for me personally, however, I had it put in mid-end April, and it is now 4.5 months later and I have had bleeding/spotting everyday since that time. I have yet to have an actual period, but have spotted / bled enough every day since the insertion, with more painful cramps (daily) that I had previously on a regular. cycle. Also, I never experienced migraines in the past, and since the mirena I get them frequently (at least one biweekly) that brings nausea and effects my vision. I waited 5 months to give my body time to adjust, but at this point yes it's doing its job but the sideeffects are not worth it"

J4bz August 21, 2015

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "Condom had a hole in it maybe got some sperm inside the vag and wasn't sure. Gave my gf plan b she took it about an hour after. She had no side effects the first few days and we both got really scared. Then about 4 days later she got some cramping but no period. The cramping stopped and we became really afraid she wasn't gonna get her period. But all the sudden about 6 days later without no sign she got it. The period was really rough and painful but overall worth it cause she wasn't pregnant. Take this pill asap if you think you need to and it should work. It really is a lifesaver"

Andre678K August 20, 2015

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had Skyla put in Feb 2015. I am 31, no kiddos, I went to work immediately after getting Skyla put in. I took 2 Aleve and the pain/severe cramps were gone. I had my first period for 17 days straight. One week no period. Then 2 more weeks of period. Eventually getting lighter and lighter but still the full 7 days. Side effects are acne, gained 15lbs, moody and no cramping. I have tried everything to work off the added pounds but nothing is working despite eating healthy and working out 5 days a week. Not sure if I will be keeping it in the full 3 years, the side effects are just not fun."

Claire1984 August 20, 2015

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I'm 22 years old and I took a generic version of this pill on 08/10, about 12 hours after we had unprotected sex. It's now been 9 days since I took the pill and voila my period came a week earlier than scheduled. Yay! My period came different somewhat lighter and no cramping. HOWEVER, this pill gave me an absolute nightmare I had a TERRIBLE migrane with nausea for 2 days I almost drove myself to the hospital!! Also I had mild cramping on and off before I got my period. Ladies this pill works if used correctly don't have sex right after and expect for it to work that's why it's called the MORNING AFTER PILL! P.S. I am 150 lbs and 5 feet tall and still worked for me. :)"

Girrrrl (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2015

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I took this pill at the end of April, and went through an emotional rollercoaster. Me and my boyfriend always have unprotected sex (dumb right?) well, I got a very heavy, emotional and painful period about 10 days late. I recently took this pill, about 24 hours after sex. It was a week before my expected period, I recieved my period (I hope) 3 days late. It wasn't like my normal period but it was bleeding, so I'm happy. I've had really bad frequent urination so I have no idea what's causing that. I've experienced nausea and dizziness. Still worried, I'm going to take a few more pregnancy tests. But it seems like it's worked! Fingers crossed! I'm only 17!"

Angel12345678910 August 20, 2015

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I had mirena right after my 2nd child in 2009. Insertion wasnt bad at all. Felt like mild cramping I felt like passing out only bc I stopped breathing from being nervous. But I bled...literally for 3 weeks straight. After that I was fine but I gained 10 lbs and I was a total nutcase. I had it in for 2 years. The removal was the worst it felt like she was pulling my insides out. I just had my 3rd child and I am trying skyla...every person is different. Talk to your dr she or he knows you the best"

Erinab August 20, 2015

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I've never had kids, and read all the horror reviews before going for my appt. Truth is: Yes it was super uncomfortable. The clamp felt like a period cramp that wouldn't ebb off. It was not 'painful', and definitely not the worst pain I've ever been in. If you've stubbed your toe or had your ears pierced, you will be just fine. I held the nurse assistants hand which really helped (silly I know) and I talked about something else the whole way through to keep distracted. Please don't let the 'insertion torture' reviews put you off having the IUD. Everyone is different, and it's unlikely you will be one of the people who has an awful experience. I drove there and home myself and was fine."

beansprout August 20, 2015

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "19yrs old. Hispanic about 105 pounds. No kids. One sexual partner for years. I before this was on the pill and nueva ring to help maintain the excruciating period pains. I didn't just have bad ones. I have had to go to the hospital on more then one occasion. So the insertion was nothing compared to that but I admit if you aren't used to pain don't walk in without taking ibprophen and the pill they prescribe before the procedure. So far lots of spotting. Wear a light pad. Slight increase in acne.I pee WAY more often. Sex is great. So worth it. So freaking worth it."

Merida Bunny August 19, 2015

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I am a graduate student who has never had children and got the mirena because IUD's have the highest rate of success (especially over time) for birth control. The insertion was painful (pain scores 7-8) but I slept for a couple hours after the procedure and when i woke up the pain had subsided to a 2-3 (out of 10). I had very light spotting the first couple of weeks, but have not had a period since the insertion (I had the device placed early June 2015). I have noticed some moderate back acne and slight weight gain, but I am unsure whether those can be attributed to other life circumstances at this point. If the weight gain continues I will write another review, but at this point my experience has been great."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2015

Plan B (levonorgestrel) for Emergency Contraception: "I'm just going to share my experience to help out the girls going through the same issue I did. On August 3rd 2015 my boyfriend and I was having sex when he pulled out we found out the condom had broke. He flipped out I did as well. I took a shower went to store. I took plan b a hour and half after the incident with food and water. I had no side effects. Two weeks had past and I was freaking out worried haven't gotten my period took pregnancy tests all negative. Then August 17th my period arrived it was the best moment ever. Also got blood work done to verify I wasn't---all negative. I now can go to college with a piece of mind. Let me say this to all the girls out in the world dealing with this it worked for me so don't worry!"

M40 August 18, 2015

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I'm 21 years old with no children. After trying many options of birth control I decided to try Skyla. The procedure is painful I am not going to lie, I stayed at the doctors office until I felt better. I advise that someone else drives you there. I had cramping for the next day or two but nothing terrible. Every once in a while I will get some cramping that lasts 30 minutes. I have been on Skyla for 3 months and have only had my period once. My doctor informed me that about 5% of Skyla users will stop getting a monthly period. I have gained15 pounds! I am happy with the choice I made to get Skyla, there is no need to worry about taking a pill or replacing a ring. I would recommend Skyla even though it is painful at first."

Anonymous August 18, 2015

Skyla (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "I am 21, no kids. Chose skyla for period regulation and pregnancy control, and was previously on oral pills. The insertion was excruciatingly painful, I screamed on the measuring and insertion. Then I had horrible cramps that made me double over. No bleeding. Now I have a severe yeast infection causing blisters on my vulva, and am extremely tired and sensitive. I would not recommend this. Ultrasound is tomorrow for week after checkup, may get it removed! Do not do it. The horror stories are true! I tried to be positive about it but there is nothing positive now, hospitalization may be in my future. I'm seriously concerned for my health. This is one big "T" shaped mistake! I regret everything about it, and am now stuck out of work."

Brie101 August 17, 2015

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: "Alright ladies I'm here to tell you a mirena experience that was actually pleasant! I was 18 and I got it inserted last July (2014). Most people experienced a horrible, painful insertion but this can be prevented! Before I had it inserted I told my OBGYN to numb my cervix ( she used a spray and within 30 seconds I was good to go ). The whole procedure took less that 1 minute and 30 seconds. Afterwards I felt No craps, no nausea, no headache and even to this day no weight gain. However, after I got mirena I got my period 2 weeks later. At first it was like an ordinary period, but it didn't end like one because I spotted for a whole month straight But after that I've been period free for almost a year. I love this thing. I trust it so much."

VivianB. August 17, 2015