User Reviews for Mirena

7.2
Summary of Mirena reviews 756 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Mirena

Review by Sare:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: The Mirena was a really good decision that I made. But getting it inserted was the most painful thing I have ever experienced in my life. The pain was so bad when the doctor was inserting it I thought I was going to pass out. I bled for a few days after it was in, minor spotting but very intense cramps. I got it almost a month ago and I am just starting to spot a little again now, so assuming this is my period that are normally very extreme due to my blood disease I have and not being able to clot, the Mirena is working well for me.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 26, 2014 4:21 PM

Review by LexiG (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: Went on Mirena as it was one of my only options for birth control due to hormone issues and aura migraines. It hurt pretty bad having it put in. I suggest 800 mg of ibuprofen a half an hour to an hour before insertion. I have never had a child. Right after insertion I felt great, no pain for a few hours, then the cramps began. Nonstop terrible cramps with a little bleeding, for 3 full days. I finally called the Dr and she wrote me a script for Vicodin so I could go to work. No sleep for those 3 days due to terrible pain. The cramps finally subsided but then the stabbing pain started. Terrible stabbing pain in my abdomen. I think my body was rejecting it. I had it removed. Feel much better.

July 10, 2014 5:44 PM

Review by vikkijayne:

For Birth Control: I had the Mirena fitted as nothing else worked for me. I've had 3 babies full term. Can honestly say the insertion didn't hurt I hardly felt a thing. Had quite bad cramps afterwards and light spotting but not too bad. Highly recommended to all.

July 8, 2014 5:29 PM

Review by melgunner (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: Had my Mirena inserted July 30 2014, I am giving it such a high rating at this point because I have nothing but positive experiences so far. Unlike most people I had it inserted after having no children, the insertion was slightly painful but just felt like a bad cramp that went away quickly. The cramping stopped 2 minutes after insertion and then I had some mild cramping later that day. Spotting is minimal to null, only noticeable on bathroom tissue. -For anyone thinking of getting on before they have had a kid: I was given misoprostol vaginally to soften the cervix and took ibuprofen for 24 hours before to help with cramping. The misoprostol did not cause me cramping or discomfort as I feared it would.

July 1, 2014 8:30 PM

Review by Great experience (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: I am 40 yrs old, and I have had Mirena just 2 months shy of 5 years before having it removed. I experienced some cramping when it was inserted and a few days after. Post removal, I had very minor cramping, but nothing that required medication. I have had no to very light periods the entire time. I still weigh within 5 pounds of what I weighed when I got it. No mood swings, no anxiety, no depression. This is the best birth control that I've had. Previously I was on Depo for 12 years and the pill before that. Everyone's body chemistry is different, therefore, the negative experiences may not be yours. If you are hesitant, I would try Depo Provera first as my experience with both have been very similar.

July 1, 2014 10:56 AM

Review by misslady85:

For Birth Control: I'm 29 years old and just had my 4th child. I got it inserted 7 weeks after having my 4th child. Insertion didn't hurt, just a little cramping. I felt dizzy for the 1st 20 minutes. Went to work and had light spotting. Now on my 4th day with the Mirena and I still have light cramping and spotting is now turning into regular bleeding. So far so good!

June 30, 2014 12:14 PM

Review by becmarie201:

For Birth Control: I have had Mirena for almost 3 years now. Getting It removed on Monday for sure. I suffer from depression but ever since I got the Mirena it has gotten worse and my anxiety attacks keep coming and coming. I have severe headaches that cause my vision to be blurry in one eye and my left side of my body goes numb. It's very scary and I can't live like this anymore.

June 27, 2014 8:37 PM

Review by Jeans1234:

For Birth Control: I had Mirena inserted two years ago, after I had my fourth child. When It was inserted I did not feel anything at all, I even had to ask the doctor if she was finished lol. For the first year or so, I had unexpected periods some short, some long, some heavy, most very very light. For a short while I was able to predict when I was going to get my period because my mood sings would go crazy. Now Its been two months that I get less then a day periods. It is only a little spotting done. I feel good, I have not gained any weight, no pain, no more mood swing. It does not interrupt my sex life with my husband. I would recommend Mirena to anyone.

June 27, 2014 5:00 PM

Review by Luckymomof3 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have 3 children and just had my third Mirena put in today. The cramping has already stopped. I love the Mirena because the last 2 times my period disappeared. Also, My libido is usually good and I don't have to worry about taking the pill. The only problem is that at the 2 year mark because of my endometriosis, I start to get really bad cramping.

June 23, 2014 10:57 PM

Review by Hetherfly (taken for less than 1 month):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I got the Mirena three weeks ago. Was worried after what I had read here, so I took two Advil an hour before. Insertion had a few painful moments, but it was over quickly. No pain or bleeding since. So far, so good.

June 22, 2014 9:09 AM

Review by KamBam (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I had Mirena inserted in February while I was on my cycle. The insertion wasn't killer, the pain came after when I was leaving the doc. Felt like pulling over & crying. The next day was all good. I bleed through April. It stopped for about 3 weeks & now the bleeding is back with a vengeance. I'm bleeding like crazy. I hope it quits soon.

June 16, 2014 3:06 PM

Review by 548:

For Birth Control: I am 45 2 kids had mirena put in January for ease of birth control and was recommended by dr. I have had no hormonal issues. however I have light bleeding almost every day (use 1-2 panty liners a day) since insertion. went back at 3 month dr told me body needs time to adjust. I'm trying to be patient but am about at wits end. had mirena put in so I could have safe sex--now don't have sex cause of constant bleeding. I'm gonna try to wait till 6 months and see if it lets up but not sure I can make it that long--hate to think I wasted 1/2 year on something that isn't working for me. if not I'm having it taken out. was on bc pills most of adult life and never had issue. any body else experience this and did it ever get better?

June 15, 2014 1:19 PM

Review by pmarie. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I get really bad pains when my period is going to start. My doctor told me to try taking Prilosec for the pain, which I happened to have because of a previous ulcer. I find that Prilosec OTC is the only thing that gives me almost immediate relief. I hope this can help others struggling with this type of pain.

June 11, 2014 8:35 PM

Review by MamaCass (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I decided to read the reviews for Mirena after I got it. Wow am I ever glad I waited! Reviews that stated spotting for months, and painful intercourse, would have been enough to put me off for sure. However, I've had a fantastic experience with Mirena so far. Spotted for 1.5 days (not months - DAYS) with only mild cramping. Intercourse after 3 days, and it was as enjoyable, if not more so than before. As I understand, it's better to have had children before using Mirena. I can see why - insertion would likely have been more painful had I not had 1 child. High recommendations, but of course, your doctor will know if Mirena is your best choice. Right down to the tilt of your uterus - there are many factors to take into consideration.

June 10, 2014 7:59 PM

Review by Katy Grace:

For Birth Control: I got my Mirena 3 months ago by recommendation from my gyno and a few friends. I was warned how painful the procedure is, but I have a high pain tolerance so I wasn't concerned. Mine was inserted when I wasn't on my period because my period was random and lasted 2 days. The procedure only took about 2 minutes. 1 minute & 50 seconds of that time just felt like hard pressure, more irritating than painful. Then the last 10 seconds were pretty traumatic. I felt like I was going to vomit and almost passed out. However, IT'S ONLY 10 SECONDS. Later that day I went shopping and ate and was fine. Now I have 5 years of no period (it's already gone) and no taking the pill! Couldn't be happier!

June 10, 2014 2:56 PM

Review by tboo24:

I'm a 18 year old, who has never has a child, and I had Mirena for 1 year, but then had it removed. I'm going to name the pros first. I liked Mirena a lot, because I never had a period, maybe spotting here and there, before Mirena I had my period twice a month, for almost 10 days, and I became very anemic, so not having a period was really nice. It's also a very effective form of birth control, I also didn't have the headaches and tiredness like I did on the pill. Now the cons... I was 105 lbs when I started Mirena, but in a matter of a year I ended up gained a total of 25lbs. It was awful. I had really bad cysts on my ovaries on top of that and still have some from the Mirena. While on the Mirena I had gotten PID, which was not okay.

June 1, 2014 11:50 PM

Review by MCH88:

For Birth Control: I am a huge fan. Read a lot of negative reviews prior to deciding, and promised myself that if I loved it I would share! Got it 1.25 years ago. I got it for contraception, I haven't had any children. Painless procedure- just pressure. Bad bad cramping for the rest of the day- I would take Panadol before going in next time so that it was kicking in earlier. I would also advise having the day off work. After day one it's been ace! Smooth sailing. I get my period for about 2 days very lightly once every 5 months. And amazingly pain free (used to get bad cramps). No weight gain or loss. No hair loss. No nausea. Better skin! So, I am a advocate. Good luck.

June 1, 2014 7:34 PM

Review by NikiV2787:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I chose Mirena because I was having heavy periods with severe cramping along with terrible acne/pms symptoms. I am 27 years old and have never had children. I was very nervous before the procedure because of reading many terrible reviews. First off placement was the most painful experience thus far. Not even exaggerating. I've got a very high pain tolerance and I thought I was going to pass out. I left the office in some serious pain/cramping and it continued for about a day. I spotted for about a week along with minor cramps. It's now been 2 months and I have not had any spotting/cramping or periods! My mood is better and for the first time in 10 years I haven't had any acne breakouts. Also zero weight gain! I love Mirena, best choice ever.

May 31, 2014 10:32 PM

Review by Aushi (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I got Mirena as a birth control solution and a solution to my very heavy, 8 day - 10 days painful periods. I wasn't suggested it by a doctor I pretty much came to the decision myself. I had been on the pill, which didn't affect me negatively at all (still got very heavy periods though), before that I was in the Depo shot, which made me bleed non-stop for three months. So I was very skeptical about Mirena. I've lost my periods all together, and I've noticed that when "I'm supposed to be on my period" I don't have any type of discharge or anything of the sort. What I DO notice is when I have a very stressful situation I get discharge for 24 hours, brown-ish discharge. No pain, no weight gain, brilliantly perfect!

May 30, 2014 4:07 PM

Review by Cnumerj (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've had my Mirena for 4 months now. I'm 26 and have never had a child or been pregnant. My periods prior to using any hormonal birth control, my periods were always inconsistent and sometimes heavy. My gyno recommended switching me to an IUD since I have no desire for children in the future. The insertion process was extremely painful for me. I had awful cramps for a week after I got it. I even had to get the dr to write me a prescription for pain medication so that I could tolerate going to work. I consider myself someone that can tolerate a high amount of physical pain but getting the Mirena put in it was a terrible experience. I do not want another one after the 5 years is up.

May 30, 2014 10:30 AM

Review by Pasco190 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I got it 3 months ago. The insertion was quick but very painful, after it was over I laid down for ten minutes and I was ready to go, some cramping but nothing an Advil can't fix. I did bleed heavily for the first 2 months during my period and spotting too, and cramping bad. Now on the 3rd month I am spotting a little bit and no heavy periods. No weight gain but I have been breaking out a lot, this is a huge concern because I have always had a clear face, I just purchased some acne creams, I'll see if that helps. Still, getting pimples beats getting pregnant for me. My sex drive has decreased so my partner has to work a little harder to get me going. Other than that I will be sticking to Mirena. I am 29, no children.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2014 1:56 AM

Review by Malexa94 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I'm 19 years old had a daughter who's now 6 months old, Never used a birth control and decided to go with the Mirena I'm bad at remembering things. I got the Mirena inserted last week even though I had a baby it was a little painful inserting it she said my cervix was pretty high. The next day I was normal. Drink some ibuprofen you'll be fine. I get cramps here and there but again it's only been a week my boyfriend says he only feels the strings but it doesn't bother it only tickles, so far so good.

May 27, 2014 1:34 AM

Review by RaeMil (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I had the Mirena inserted about 4 years ago, after my second child was born. Getting it put in I had minor pain, no worse than normal menstrual cramps. However, my hormones have been super crazy. I go from normal to upset, mad, crying within seconds. I've never had this issue prior to children or the Mirena. I've seen Mental Health Counselors in fear I was losing my mind....however it's been boiled down to the birth control. After numerous hormone testing and blood tests I've decided to get it taken out early. I hate feeling like I have no control over my emotions.

May 25, 2014 8:00 PM

Review by My experience with Mirena (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: At 51, I have uterine fibroids and was experiencing super heavy bleeding for months at a time. My doctor recommended Mirena and I unenthusiastically agreed to it because my other choice was hysterectomy. When younger I had a terrible experience with the pill (made me really depressed which otherwise I am not). I had Mirena inserted 4 months ago and love it. I put on a bit of weight at the beginning which I have mostly lost already. The heavy bleeding is gone. I still wear a pad because I spot once in awhile but before I was using Depend because the bleeding was SO HEAVY. My mood is Ok. no depression or any similar symptoms. No acne. Insertion is painful but quick. The discomfort goes away immediately. So far Mirena is Ok for me.

May 21, 2014 8:55 PM

Review by Carleyyyu:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've had the Mirena for about 3 1/2 years @ first I experienced bleeding for about 4-6 months with only a few days of not bleeding in between (like some have said) I got it inserted after I gave birth to my son. After those first months of bleeding passed my periods became light and only lasting a few days. I love this because before I was a heavy, heavy bleeder! But recently I've noticed way more acne, along with bleeding (spotting) every 2 weeks. Now all of a sudden I had a heavy period again! Along with cramps and the same old stuff! I'm kinda scared because it has always worked extremely well for me! I wonder if all this is because it's getting closer to the 5 year mark! Can anyone relate?

May 19, 2014 2:26 AM