User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 138 reviews 163 medications

6.9
Summary of Mirena reviews 1054 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I experienced normal bleeding after getting it put in was a little worried because I bleed for a while after getting it put in. Was told it was normal. I have since not even thought about it. I have no problems or issues with it actually really like this birth control and I've tried many before"

use2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 24, 2015

For Birth Control "Thought I'd share my experience thus far. 32 yr old, no children. Had Mirena inserted Aug 10th. Gyne prescribed cervix softener to be inserted night before insertion and recommend I take Advil 1 hr before procedure. I still felt a sharp pain that lasted all of about a minute upon insertion. After insertion had mild cramping for two days and light to moderate spotting/Brown discgarge since insertion. I am really happy with it so far."

Happy with Mirena August 23, 2015

For Birth Control "I've been using Mirena for 3 years, after initial spotting I have yet to have a period. Once in a great while I'll spot a little bit. But I'm having it removed as soon as my husband gets a vasectomy because I am carrying around 15 extra pounds and my mood swings have been bad for all these years. I work out 5x/week and eat clean 90% of the time but cannot lose the weight. I am sick of it. I can't wait to be free of this. It was a good, convenient form of birth control, just not for me anymore."

Fytress (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 23, 2015

For Birth Control "After having two children, I opted to have the Mirena inserted at my 6week PP visit, instead of using the pill. The insertion wasn't painful for me personally, however, I had it put in mid-end April, and it is now 4.5 months later and I have had bleeding/spotting everyday since that time. I have yet to have an actual period, but have spotted / bled enough every day since the insertion, with more painful cramps (daily) that I had previously on a regular. cycle. Also, I never experienced migraines in the past, and since the mirena I get them frequently (at least one biweekly) that brings nausea and effects my vision. I waited 5 months to give my body time to adjust, but at this point yes it's doing its job but the sideeffects are not worth it"

J4bz August 21, 2015

For Birth Control "I had mirena right after my 2nd child in 2009. Insertion wasnt bad at all. Felt like mild cramping I felt like passing out only bc I stopped breathing from being nervous. But I bled...literally for 3 weeks straight. After that I was fine but I gained 10 lbs and I was a total nutcase. I had it in for 2 years. The removal was the worst it felt like she was pulling my insides out. I just had my 3rd child and I am trying skyla...every person is different. Talk to your dr she or he knows you the best"

Erinab August 20, 2015

For Birth Control "I am a graduate student who has never had children and got the mirena because IUD's have the highest rate of success (especially over time) for birth control. The insertion was painful (pain scores 7-8) but I slept for a couple hours after the procedure and when i woke up the pain had subsided to a 2-3 (out of 10). I had very light spotting the first couple of weeks, but have not had a period since the insertion (I had the device placed early June 2015). I have noticed some moderate back acne and slight weight gain, but I am unsure whether those can be attributed to other life circumstances at this point. If the weight gain continues I will write another review, but at this point my experience has been great."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2015

For Birth Control "Alright ladies I'm here to tell you a mirena experience that was actually pleasant! I was 18 and I got it inserted last July (2014). Most people experienced a horrible, painful insertion but this can be prevented! Before I had it inserted I told my OBGYN to numb my cervix ( she used a spray and within 30 seconds I was good to go ). The whole procedure took less that 1 minute and 30 seconds. Afterwards I felt No craps, no nausea, no headache and even to this day no weight gain. However, after I got mirena I got my period 2 weeks later. At first it was like an ordinary period, but it didn't end like one because I spotted for a whole month straight But after that I've been period free for almost a year. I love this thing. I trust it so much."

VivianB. August 17, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "28yo and never been pregnant. I used ParaGuard IUD for 7 years with NO issue. A year ago my periods got heavy and 3-4 weeks long. Gyne didn't think that the IUD was the cause. We decided February this year to try the Mirena to lighten my periods. It worked! However, I did have extreme breast tenderness, moodswings, etc. About 3 months later I experienced the worst cramping I'd had in over 10-15 years and the Mirena was expelled. In June I had a new one put back in. A few days ago (this is August), I had unusual cramping and as of yesterday the second Mirena expelled. I am not pleased. I'll never use Mirena again. I will go back to using the copper one since there were no side-effects."

Malina118 August 17, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Had insertion one week ago. I have never had a kid and my doctor did not warn me how painful it was going to be. She said some pressure and cramping was normal, but when she did it and noticed how buckled over in pain I was she called the pain "mini labor" because it dilates the cervix momentarily and said the cramping should pass in 30 minutes. It did not. I wish I had known it was going to debilitate me so much that I wouldn't be able to work 3 hours later. Make sure your parent, friend, or significant other are there with you to take you home if you have it inserted and have never had kids. I immediately bought a heating pad to help with the cramping pain I have had since insertion. I use icy hot patches at work to distract the pain."

LauraAge27 August 16, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the mirena inserted over 4weeks ago and it has been constant bleeding every since. I was told be my Obgyn that I wouldn't have periods however I have had a period for 5weeks. I don't know if this is normal but I am considering having it removed."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2015

For Birth Control "I decided to write a review because I wish someone told me this on one. Most people who are unhappy with anything will write a review but the people who are happy don't think to write reviews. Thus, I want to share how I am so happy with my experience. I only just got it in today, but so far so good. It's been about 6 hours & I am having mild cramping. The insertion process was a bit painful, but doable. I recommend taking ibuprofin before. But if you are hesitant because of the bad reviews, then take a minute & realize that everyone is different, & most people don't share the good reviews! I say go for it and see how it works with your body!"

Sarah 1234 August 14, 2015

For Birth Control "I was pretty scared to get my Mirena in after reading reviews on it, but I have to say personally that I really liked the Mirena. I got mine put in two weeks ago and yes the procedure was very painful since I am 18 and never had any kids. I would recommend taking advill extra strength gel caps, those seem to work the best for me. Hours after I got mine done I was in a bunch if pain. I had really bad cramps, fever and I was puking which was not fun at all. But the next day all the pain went away and I felt like myself again. I only bled for three days after getting it in then it completely went away and I am in no more pain! I am able to have sex with my bf normally, and the only side effects I endured was loss of appetite."

luckgirl August 14, 2015

For Birth Control "Been on mirena for almost 2 years now. Insertion was painful. Felt like very bad cramps and was bleeding for 2 weeks but after that ,my period completely stopped. It was the best thing ever. Did not have much side effects.I am a very active person and always concious about my weight. Since the beginning of this year I've started notice watery discharge, heavy mood swings, depression (cried about everything and anything), constantly feel like I've swollen a balloon, no one is allowed near my tummy, and picked up about 5kg's in one month. Went to doctor yesterday and mirena caused very big cyst filled with hormones - no wonder!Could not get it out yesterday so I'm scheduled for op today. Just want to feel normal again! Would not recommend!!!"

Heavy moody and bloated August 14, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm 23 years old and have had my mirena for more than 2 years and I am in love with it. Insertion hurt for a few seconds but it was quick. I recommend taking a pain pill beforehand. An hour after insertion, I went to class. I was a little tender for a couple of hours but I wasn't uncomfortable, I wasn't in pain and I couldn't feel the mirena. That month I had a light period for 2 weeks and I had some light spotting during the second month after insertion. I have been period-free since then. It's so liberating. All I have to do is have my doctor check its strings every year. Sex is comfortable and pain-free and I feel great. I haven't suffered from any negative side effects. I will probably get another one in 3 years."

Mandy Moore 90 August 13, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Constant bleeding for the entire 9 weeks I had it in. Range from moderate to light. Only 4-5 days blood free and not consecutive. Think it is stopping one day only to start the next. Hair loss 1 Month in and strange headaches. Also stuffy nose. Only one star due to painless insertion. Getting it pulled next week. Cannot wait to be normal again. Rather have 1 week of bleeding vs. Constant light bleeding."

unhappyuser (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2015

For Birth Control "My doctor scheduled me to get Mirena today and wanted to read the reviews I've used Norplant way back in 1993-1998. Hated it so nothing in my arms and no depo. Pill I tried wasn't working for what I needed. Since I smoke I can't use many pills. Hoping it works out for me. I'll update after its in."

KatnipFactory (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2015

"I am 45 years old, on Mirena last 15 months. Gained 20lbs while watching what I eat and exercising during that period and also experienced hair loss, depression, water retention and bloating. My periods are lighter, but it is not worth of all side effects."

Susan1307 August 11, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm only going to make a review on the insertion as I just had it done this morning. I took an extra strength Tylenol 40mins prior to the procedure. Doctor warned me that I will feel a pinch and cramping but I didn't feel a thing at all. I was so happy! I'd been scared and anxious for days!"

GeorginaSpeaks17 August 11, 2015

For Birth Control "Have had this almost 5 years now, Ive been terrific on it. Had massively heavy bleeding prior so much so I could not leave the house without a baby nappy for a pad, for real hey, at 45 at the time I was over that. They wouldnt do a hysterectomy. They offered the Mirena and I was skeptical. I have had a great run, no periods for 4.5 years at least - love that. No side effects, no moods, no bloating - NOTHING. Im due now to have it out and I tell you what, Im getting another."

Bookiwi (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 10, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Hi I am a 35 yo with one child and a tubal ligation. I have had the Mirena almost two years. I have it in place due to bleeding cause from my fibroids. I was bleeding 20 days a month. Initially I was grateful to have a normal cycle. As time progresses I have started spotting for 5 day then bleeding heavy with cramping. I have a foul odor and back pain keep getting Antibiotics and it goes away while taking them then comes back a few days later. I have been very uncomfortable, acne, bloating, and Moody. I don't like it and it has to go. It does not effect women the same but consider alternative options before choosing this one."

Mahogany2234 August 10, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had my mirena for about a week and a half and I love it. Not having to rememeber the pill is 1000000% better. However, the insertion process was very painful. I have never had a child before which also makes its very uncomfortable. When she touched the back wall of my uterus it was literally one of the most uncomfortable painful cramps ever. It only took about 2 minutes though. After the procedure I had extreme and intense cramping for 5 hours after. the next 5 days I had on and of cramps that were uncomfortable but tolerable. I highly recommend the mirena iud because it is effective and a bit of pain for five years of protection is completely worth it. Don't let the pain keep your from getting this amazing form of birth control!"

Colleen Casey 1996 August 9, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have PCOS and fibroids. Had a tubal ligation during caesearean with third child 7/21/09 which lead to 10 weeks of bleeding and spotting. Had d&c in December 2010 then mirena inserted for treatment of heavy menstrual flow. Of course my periods go heavier, not lighter, but somewhat predictable with help of period tracker app. Once my period hit day 47 in Oct 2012 I had it removed and my period started that day. Since I had the mirena removed my periods have become normal"

Brandi768 August 9, 2015

For Birth Control "I recently got the Mirena IUD since I am a sexually active 16 year old & I don't a want a baby! I went to my health clinic which pretty much does anything for teens under 18 years of age for free. When I got the IUD I was told to take medication before I came and I probably should had listened! Because when they pinch your cervix to put it in it feels like really bad cramps. I suggest taking 4 (depending on the pill) of some kinda of pain reliever 4 & 1 hour prier to the procedure. After I got it heading home I had bad cramps my symptom's lasted for about a week and a half which sucked I had all the symptoms of pregnancy you could say. Symptom's were high sense of smell, nausea, couldn't keep down most foods, light headed, bleeding"

obeymsfaith (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2015

For Birth Control "I was very excited to finally be worry free and have my periods go away. I got Mirena inserted about 2 1/2 months ago and I've only had one week within all this time that I wasn't bleeding. I've always had a heavy flow along with horrible cramps so the only difference now is a little bit lighter and constant spotting every single day. I can't go in the pool, I can't have sex, I've stained pants, I've had a very horrible experience truthfully. My boyfriend was complaining whenever we did have sex that he felt like something was pinching his penis. the process to have it inserted is very uncomfortable and a little internal pain. I'm planning on having it removed as soon as possible because I haven't had one benefit from mirena."

chelseygeeee August 8, 2015

For Birth Control "I am 22, no prior children, I have endometriosis & was told Mirena was the best option. The implementation process was hell. The worst pain I have ever been in. I fainted & had to have a friend pick me up. I left it in for 10 months. Within those 10 months I'd gained 18 pounds (on a 5 foot tall person that's horrible), I was moody, had the worst cramps, hair loss, acne, horrible headaches, the appetite of a sumo wrestler, & didn't want to do anything. I felt lazy and borderline depressed. They don't tell you those side effects for obvious reasons. Yesterday I finally had it removed. Being traumatized by having it put in I about made myself sick with nerves. The removal was quick and painless and I already feel like myself again."

Nolongeramirenauser August 8, 2015