User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 233 reviews 162 medications

5.9
Summary of Mirena reviews 1356 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "Reasons for the 9/10: 1) Cramping/spotting for 4-6 mos. My 1st time on Mirena, no period for 4yrs! 6yrs later, &6 days into 2nd Mirena I've got typical cramps/3.5d menstruation. 2) It could fall out/re-position itself in the cervix, (down from uterus). 5mos after a copper/hormone-free IUD, I found out that this had happened to me and I switched back to Mirena. Many people have had adverse effects from this med. incl. depression, anxiety, mood swings, constant spotting, painful cramps+. Having 5 years of experience on this med., then switching to a copper IUD for 5mos, I can say that Mirena has HELPED my depression/anxiety. Every body is different. Plus I'm not going to get pregnant! So, all in all, I'd recommend this to anyone."

Stlouisrach May 24, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena inserted in 3/2014 at my 6 week check up after my son was born. The insertion was not terrible it was kind of like long papsmere with some cramping along with it. Afterwards I spotted for about 5 days and that was the end of that. My period went on normally for the next year slowly decreasing in flow and length. During my time on the birth control I experienced mood swings, hair loss, weight gain, inner aching, numerous ovarian cysts, and more yeast and bacterial infections than I can keep count of (over 30). I finally had it removed in the beginning of May 2016 and I feel a million times better. Yes my first period was very heavy and clotty but when it was over I felt 100% better. Different strokes for different folks."

Happier Without It (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 24, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "After years of having my periods every 2 1/2 weeks i decided to try the Mirena as a last option. I've had it in for 6 months. Its so great not to be bleeding all the time but I'm not sure if its the Mirena but i have gained weight and i continue to gain it and its freaking me out. I've been exercising and eating really well but I've slowly crept from a size AUS 14 up and up. I actually probably eat less than before the Mirena. Going to the dr to suss it out. Its not just the weight gain though. My hair has thinned dramatically. Next step hysterectomy."

Jadles123456789 May 24, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got Mirena inserted about 3 monthes ago and I am so happy that I did. I had been on 4 different types of birth control pills and each of them affected me differently. I gained weight, had terrible mood swings, didn't have a sex drive, and was always fatigued. Now that I have gotten Mirena everything has changed... I lost almost 10 pounds now back to where I was before I ever started the pills! I weigh around 122 and when I was on the pills I weighed 132 and I was miserable. Mirena has made me have light bleeding here and there but my doctor said that it is just my body adjusting. I am very satisfied with it and I hope that it treats me well for the next 5 years!"

CarolineG May 24, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am 25 (2016) and got it inserted in December 2014. Insertion: a painful procedure for a tiny insertion. Followed by intense discomfort and pelvic pain, constant bleeding and pelvic and vaginal pain. Symptoms: first month or so nonstop bleeding, mood imbalance. 3 months. Continued frequent bleeding weight gain of 5 pounds. 6 months gained 15 pounds 1.5 years gained 20 pounds ( vegan, fit although no weight loss or maintenance) Experienced depressive symptoms such as lack of excitement, happiness, and lack of interest in previously preferred activities, fatigue and lethargy. I WAS GIVEN AS A METHOD TO TREAT NOT ONLY MENNORAGIA BUT OVARIAN CYST PAIN. REMOVE AS THIS IS COUNTERINTUITIVE AS ONE OF THE RISK"

Crohnscyster (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 22, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Im 41 years old with irregular bleeding. I have had mirena in for 9 months, and so far so good."

mature women (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 19, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "i had this in under duress whilst having camera n biopsy..within 24hours i had headaches felt hot and flushed...over 4 days i felt really bloated and down...haf it took out after 6 days and instantly felt better"

michelleg45 (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2016

For Birth Control "Love love love it! I got pregnant while using nuvaring so I wanted a bc that was much safer, well I found it!!! I hated it the first month but everything after that has been a breeze! 1000% worth it! I recommend to all my girlfriends"

nomorebabies (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 17, 2016

For Birth Control "Was slightly uncomfortable during insertion, but not unbearable. Experienced mild cramping afterwards and spotted for the next several days. Was ok in the very beginning and has since maintained it's contraceptive purpose, but spotting began again and never stopped resulting in having to use panty liners daily and dealing with it irritating the skin. On top of this is hair lose, bigger appetite, irritability, cramping, and fatigue."

ElfieM (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 15, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Due to a blod clot history in my family I can't take hormones.....thus the Mirena IUD was recommend to help deal with my heavy non stop bleeding. I had it put in 2 months ago. The bleeding is not gushing anymore but I am still bleeding every single day, non stop. Such a drag. I still have cramps. I am moody and sore and feel like crap. I hate it! I want to take it out tomorrow but then what if the hemorrhaging comes back? Stuck between a rock and a hard place. It all sucks."

Mirena Sucks May 15, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got my the mirena because I didn't want to have a hysterectomy, I have had it now bout 2yrs I will say that it stop the bleeding for me but it did cause me to gain like 20 pounds and is very painful for me during Intercourse which I don't like about having this just glad not to be bleeding 20 days out of the month (very heavy). So I will say that it did what I expected just the weight gain ."

Prisc.B May 14, 2016

For Birth Control "I had no issues with it.. going to replace it in a few months!"

LindseyV May 11, 2016

For Birth Control "My experience on mirena has been great. March of 2015 I found out I was pregnant, carried the child to 9 weeks and lost it, a month later I got mirena inserted, it didn't hurt at all, and I bled for about 2 days. It's been a month and my flow has definitely slowed down. I can't wait til it stops completely because I hate the damn thing. However, the IUD has stopped the painful cramps I used to get, my period is still pretty usual, comes right on time, so that's the only reason how I know I'm getting it, because otherwise I wouldn't feel it lol. 10/10 would reccomend to any woman who has ever been pregnant."

apriv (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 9, 2016

For Birth Control "I thought I'd share my experience with the Mirena IDU. Im a 26 year old female in a committed 3 year relationship with my boyfriend. Throughout my lifetime before the Mirena I've had a history of depression and hormonal issues taking birth control. Since the age I was sexually active at 16 I tried every other the counter option: the ring, pills , patch, condoms even tried the diaphragm. On top of this I would have extremely painful periods in which I would lay around all day and take close to 12 Advil daily. One docter recommended the IUD, after 6 years thinking if I should get the IUD I finally did and it changed my life. No pain for periods and hormone wise I'm all set:)"

Shannon12012 May 9, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I'm in the final year of my 5. Having spent the vast majority of the last 3 years with no bleeding I'm now having a period or something. Has been 4 days now, should I be concerned? Advice please"

Windswept but not barren May 7, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "2.3 years ago I inserted Mirena to reduce the amount of bleeding. But I am bleeding even now. "NEVER STOP""

Always sunshine May 7, 2016

For Birth Control "Had it inserted at 53 years age, as I was still having regular periods within normal range frequency. New female Gynocologist recommended it. Initially had some spotting then periods ended. Currently no problem. Wish I had it when I was younger."

AnotherOlderLady May 6, 2016

For Birth Control "Mirena has changed my life. Before having it inserted I had extreme pain for 3-4 days a month with my period, so painful I'd have to call in sick to work every month. I wanted to try birth control pills for the pain, but my doctor recommended a non-estrogen method due to my family history of breast cancer. The insertion of Mirena was quite painful for the first 10-15 minutes afterward (though not as bad as my excruciating normal period pain), but then it settled down to mild cramping. As other users have said, the spotting on and off for the first 4-6 months can be annoying. But other than that and some very mild cramping at first, my life has changed. No more period pain, I still can't believe it and am so grateful!"

Mikarin May 6, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Mirena IUD was the best decision I ever made. It gave me my life back. I almost lost my job due to extremely debilitating periods. I bled on and off for the first 3 months and still had some cramps. By 6 months my period had almost disappeared. I've had the IUD for 4 years now and I'll be lining up for another one in 12 months time."

CittCatt May 5, 2016

For Birth Control "I was on Nuva Ring for 5 years and wanted something different, to ultimately eliminate my period and was told an IUD was the best bet. Keep in mind I am 18 and have never had a child. So when I had the Mirena inserted it was extremely uncomfortable and extremely painful. I quickly broke into a cold sweat, got very pale, so dizzy, and had terrible nause, my blood pressure also dropped extremely low. I laid on the table in the doctors office for about an hour until I got myself together, but still had to call someone for a ride home. Afterward I had terrible cramping for about 2 weeks, along with bleeding. My doctor said the cramping was due the fact that my uterus was so small because I have never had any children, so I was just getting used to it being there. The cramping has since went away ( It is over a month later ) but I am still bleeding, it is way less than a period, not clotty either. When I think it's done, it will start again. My doctor said it is just what your body does until it gets used to it. Other wise I have no complaints, other than the bleeding being EXTREMELY inconvenient and becoming expensive ( tampons ) but I have already come this far so I'm going to wait it out before having it removed because I am not in any pain. But I haven't lost my sex drive ( it's gotten better if anything ) , I have not gained any weight, small amount of acne but nothing I can't handle lol. All together I'm pretty happy now that I'm not in pain, I just hope this bleeding stops soon!!! "

Rach19 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2016

For Birth Control "So I had the mirena put in about 2 years ago after migraines and worsening of depression made practically every other contraceptive contraindicated for me. The mirena left me with spotting for a few weeks, and light periods for a couple of months but since then I have only had about 3 tiny bleeds over the last 2 years! I have also been on the implant in the past, which left me constantly spotting brown blood for 6-8 months at a time. It was horrible for me and my partner, but now nothing! However despite eating healthier than before & exercising more I did gain 8 pounds that I haven't been able to shift. I also put weight on much easier. 4 of my friends had the mirena removed due to weight gain and when removed immediately lost it all!"

alh109 May 4, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had my iud inserted February of 2014, now, more than 2 years later I have had it removed today, finally. This birth control has been so horrible for me, so horrible that even if I got offered a million pounds I would still not get that thing anywhere near me again. The first 6 months was okay, I expected it to be uncomfertable and maybe a little painfull but 2 years later the pain only got worse. I took this because I had very painfull and heavy periods, also I kept forgetting the pill. My periods have been super heavy, really painfull and irregular. This is not even the only thing, ever since I have this thing I have had chronic thrush infections and so much discharge that I did not dare to go outside because I was scared."

Cyn96 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 4, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had my mirena for 11 months now and inserted after my second child. My husband and I recently moved across country so I thought for sure my hair loss and anxiety of a new place was due to the stress of moving. However we have now been here for six months and life couldn't be better so when I started having panic attacks out of no where with no history of ever having them I thought for sure I was going crazy. I have terrible mood swings, bloating, weight gain (even with proper diet and exercise), gassy, hair breakage, moderate almost uncontrollable depression (when I have had little and controlled it before), yeast infections, I mean the TMI list can go on and on. I don't recommend this to anyone."

Mirenas hell (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 4, 2016

For Birth Control "I had Mirena inserted in August of 2015. Because I have no kids, it was quite painful but not unbearable to have it inserted. The pain only last a brief moment during insertion. Afterwards I did find myself with menstrual cramps for weeks afterwards, maybe for the first month. I did however see a huge reduction in my amount of monthly bleeding. After a few months it would be just drops, not even enough to fill a panty liner. I do find that I still may get the cramps, but not always the bleeding. I tend to spot from time to time around my period time, but it's extremely light and short. Overall I do like having it and it's much better than the patch and ring which I've used in the past. I like it because I don't have to do anything extra."

Lady803 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2016

For Birth Control "Insertion itself is not very painful, and it's over quickly. The pain I experienced was during the manual dilation, which did make me nearly pass out. The nurse said that was my body's reaction to dilation, and is not uncommon. After 20 minutes or so to recover, I went home. Cramping and spotting for the rest of the day, and occasional cramping for the following week. Cramping was significantly better on days after evening work outs. My partner cannot feel the strings during sex, and I have no idea that the IUD is there. There is no reason for me to believe that I should begin to have more side effects down the road, because a few weeks in all spotting and cramping has subsided."

E Jane April 29, 2016