User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 107 reviews 163 medications

7.3
Summary of Mirena reviews 936 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I have been on DepoProvra for about 10 years on and off. Too long according to my new OBGYN, and he suggested Mirena since I am not ready to cut the ties just in case I decide to have children in the future lol. I have a 13 and 10 year old lol.... But after insertion I had cramping and mild bleeding for 2 days. I have not had any bleeding since then. It has been almost a month! The side effects I am experiencing are breast tenderness, and increased libido. The shot killed that lol. I love it so far and I am very happy."

Monalisa4882 (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2015

For Birth Control "I had paraguard for four years and experienced very bad cramps during ovulation and my period, along with heavy bleeding. I switched to Mirena after consulting with a new GYN. The removal of paraguard was painless and took less than a second. The original insertion of it was extremly painful. I had it inserted when I was in my late 20s, no children. I still have no children and found the insertion of the Mirena to be no worse than two bad cramps, each lasting only a second. I took 800mg of Motrin about an hour prior to the precedure, which may have helped. I had no cramping or spotting after the procedure and have still have no cramping or spotting."

RLL82 May 26, 2015

For Birth Control "I decided to get Mirena after my 5th child was born. Since he was born I have suffered from insomnia, mood swings, weight gain, impossible weight loss, odor & discharge, yeast infections, and zero libido. Overall I just don't feel like the same person anymore and my husband says I have changed. So I visited my doctor and got extensive blood tests. Everything was normal she said.... Then it dawned on me recently, what is it that changed after my son was born? Oh! Well I had the Mirena put in! I then started to research side effects and read forum posts by other women who have used Mirena, and to my surprise everything I have been suffering could be related to the Mirena! I have had it in for 2 years and now I am getting it out!"

Coleyroo (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was diagnosed with perimenopause in 2010 which included anxiety depression and mood swings at the age of 40. I had blood clots flowing down my legs for ten days then in 13 days I would bleed again . I would be double over in pain. I became anemic and still am . My Dr has me on anti depressants for anxiety which is working. After 4 years I was sent to Gyno. She did ultrasound and discovered I had adenomyosus and endometriosis. She did a D&C it was too complicated to do ablation or hysterectomy. The Gyno recommended mirena. She put in 3 weeks ago . Dr cut string so can't feel it. Some light spotting and cramping and no period for 31 days now. Gyno will check in five weeks it takes 7 months to get full effect. give it a chance ! Love it so far."

Trixielynn May 22, 2015

For Birth Control "I had decided to get Mirena as I am horrible at remembering to take pills. I have never had children and they aren't in my plans. At age 34 I had it inserted and it hurt more than I thought it would. It reduced my period frequency & the amount, BUT it completely killed my sex drive, which now, 2 years later is still non existent. I felt depressed soon afterwards and it never went away. I gained 20 pounds, which is odd as I eat well most of the time & go jogging with my boyfriend. Even he is now convinced that my lack of a sex drive, weight gain & inability to loose weight is a side effect of the Mirena. I just made an appointment to have it removed & plan to next just get my tubes tied."

no babies 4 me May 21, 2015

For Birth Control "This summer - July of 2015 - will be exactly 5th year as I've had my mirena. I had it inserted 3 months after having my 2nd child and it took no more than 10 min for my Dr to do it. I loved having mirena for 5 years as I didn't have to worry about birth control at all! The only minus is that for first year or two I had irregular bleeding or to be correct spotting. It wasn't really a period but every couple of weeks I'd have to use slim daily pads for couple of days at a time. Still, it is much much better than having regular painful periods and to worry about birth control every day. So, I'm having my removed in a month and probably will give my uterus a rest for 2-3 month (if it's necessary I don't know... Maybe not) and get another one."

Reviewer (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2015

For Birth Control "Felt compelled to weigh in on the insertion issue. Everybody is different, of course, but I had read many forums in which woman after woman called the insertion excruciating, agonizing, or the worst pain they've ever felt. I am small-build (5'0), never had children. It was really not that bad. Three rather severe cramps - but nothing worse than I have had with a particularly bad period. I had no local anesthetic and I took 800mg ibuprofen one hour beforehand. It was inserted less than an hour ago and I am back at work and feeling fine. I think one thing that may make a difference is the experience of the nurse practitioner or doctor performing the procedure. The more experienced, the faster. Mine took less than three minutes total. Not bad."

ImaCaliGirl May 21, 2015

For Birth Control "Ok I had mine inserted six weeks after my daughter was born Nov 2012. When it was inserted it hurt like heck. I had some cramping and bleeding nothing bad tho. I loved it until Easter 2013 I had one breast swell it was a small cyst. And no period for six months well of course I didn't think it was my mirena. Then my period suddenly came back. I have suffered a miscarriage. I have been so moody, cramps awful cramps, low sex drive my poor husband, breast swelling and tenderness again, cysts on both ovaries, hair loss, depression. I'm getting this thing yanked as soon as possible. And going back on the pill. I hate it! Do not recommend for anyone!"

Hannahbug May 20, 2015

For Birth Control "I just got my IUD (mirena) put in yesterday. I am 23 years old with a 1 year old son, my doctor recommended the IUD because I couldn't take anything oral that has hormones. I'm a complete b**** with the BC pills. The insertion was very uncomfortable for me and still have mild cramps, but I can say me and my fiance have a piece of mind that I won't be getting pregnant anytime soon, although we do want another. I read a lot of the negative experiences but everyone is different. So if you want to try it do it, and I love the fact that I don't have to remember a pill. Just talk with your doctor and I trust my gyno so I have no doubts."

iLoveMyBoys04/11/14 May 20, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Just got my IUD placed today! I was honestly so terrified to go I had put it off for a year now. It was the quickest, least painful procedure I've had. My Dr paced a local anesthetic and I didn't feel a thing."

Amg2209 May 19, 2015

For Birth Control "I've had it for a year and no babies yet! No periods, no cramping and no getting cranky. However I'm starting to get my period normally again getting it checked out soon."

Carzzzy May 19, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "The insertion of the iud was painful. Afterward I experienced cramping & spotting for 2 days. About a week later I experienced acne. Luckily I have teens and I use their acne gel. A few weeks later my right foot and ankle was swollen. I used ice, elevate my foot and when that didn't work I went to the Doctor. The X-ray didn't show anything wrong. My ankle hurt in I small area and it was difficult to walk without limping. I began reading reviews about iud side effects and sure enough a swollen ankle is a side effect. I had to purchase an ankle wrap to ease the pain. I had the iud inserted 3/15 for irregular bleeding due to peri menopause. I'm going to Try to keep it as long as I can hoping the swelling will completely go away soon"

Joy916 May 19, 2015

For Birth Control "Hurts way too much! I asked if it slipped."No everything's fine." after 2 weeks of not adjusting, I'm having it removed today. If I live that long!!"

CantEVENPEE May 18, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "It's been 3 months. Basically non stop spotting or bleeding. Mirena and sex life do not get along. Miserable. Considering removal."

Terri226 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Had Mirena inserted 4 weeks ago. Don't need it for BC, but I am extremely iron-deficient, so it was to stop my periods. Nevermind the actual procedure, I didn't take any pain killers before or after. But I have been bleeding and badly cramping ever since the procedure. Sometimes cramps would stop, then come back suddenly so bad I groan out loud. Any physical activity makes it much worse. My tum & breasts are swollen & tender. Some acne. Mood swings - more like mood plungers: I tend to snap at everyone around for no reason. Definitely a weight gain - 2kg in 4 weeks. Everyone says I look very pale. Total life disruption. I wish I read other reviews before doing it. My GP told me it would settle after 3-4 days. It comes out next week."

ozi888 May 16, 2015

For Birth Control "I just got mirena placed today. I'm amazed at how any people say it isn't painful because mine was the most excruciating thing I have ever experienced. It took forever to get it placed. I laid there for 25 mins in extreme pain while they fumbled around getting it in place. I have a tilted uterus, so it's harder to get where it should be. That might just be why it was so terrible for me. It has been about 12 hours and I have very bad bleeding. Full on gushing, bad cramping, I feel light headed, sick, my heart is fluttering and racing, I feel altogether terrible. I'm starting to wonder if I made the right choice here. Mine was not actually implanted as a bc method, my tube are already tied, it is for "irregular" bleeding."

not sure what to think yet. (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "This was my second Mirena. My first was great. I had no periods, not complaints. Insertion and removal were super easy. However, after removal I did bleed for a couple weeks. The second one has been awful. I just had it removed after 3 years. My hair was falling out. I gained weight. I had very low sex drive. I bleed all the time. I got it removed 5 weeks ago and I'm still bleeding. I'm even on nuvaring, and still bleeding. It's awful. There is no end in sight."

Prefer not say (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 14, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the mirena inserted after having my daughter in 07 wasn't painful AT ALL, no side effects barely had a period. After 5 years had it reinserted in 2012. To remove and reinsert the new one was the most painful experience ever. Since than my period lasts 3 weeks straight very heavy & right when I think I'm done with my period (lasts maybe 4 days) it will start AGAIN & I'll continue to bleed the remainder of the month till my next period. I'm very agitated easily, I'm very tired never had I tooken a nap & now that's all I do. I'm always bloated I've gained weight, I always have lower stomach pains I don't know if it's because I didn't give my body a break before inserting another one but I'm taking this one out & never doing it again"

Damarie May 13, 2015

For Birth Control "Hello, this birth control was wonderful for me! I spotted maybe a week. I have never had kids but the insertion was not terrible at all and everything was just amazing!"

nottellingwhoiam May 12, 2015

For Birth Control "I went to have the Mirena IUD removed 1 1/2 years after placement and my ob/gyn couldn't find it to remove it. I have had an ultrasound that turned up nothing and now need an abdominal xray to see if it can be located that way. My insurance won't cover any of it until my deductible is met, so I have to come up with $1000 just to find out, and if they find it, I'll need surgery. This "migration and spontaneous expulsion" are more common than the company says. "

kds3plus May 12, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had my mirena inserted 7 weeks ago. My doc first tried inserting it in her office. After several painful tries including using dilitation tools, she gave up. I have 3 children and one was a home birth with no meds. I would rather give birth then do that again!!! It was nasty. I cramped and bled for many days after. I had it inserted several months later via surgery. I had less cramping and needed no pain meds after. A week later I started having painful cramping and 3 weeks of bleeding. The pain was so bad if I was in bed no one could touch it as it would start another cramp. Last week, I got up at 3 am to go to the bathroom. On the way back I was hit with the worst pain ever. I went to the er, and it left after 20 min."

Sue80 May 12, 2015

For Birth Control "The Mirena worked for not getting pregnant and no periods. However, it gave me debilitating cystic acne. It started within 3-4 months after getting the Mirena inserted. I went to several doctors and dermatologists who all insisted that the Mirena was not the cause. I spent thousands of dollars on acne prescriptions and countless depressed days due to the severity of the acne. As a woman in my mid thirties, it effected my career as well as my personal relationships and self esteem. This went on for the next 5 years. I didn't have the Mirena removed on its expiration date, and noticed that after about 3 months after the expiration, my skin had miraculous improvement. I had the Mirena removed and have never suffered a breakout since."

S&J (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 8, 2015

For Birth Control "I had my Mirena inserted this morning. As far as the procedure, it was easy. I've had 2 children, I'm currently on my period (cervix already dilated some), my OB gave me Cytotek to soften my cervix, and I took 800 mg of Ibuprofen prior to the procedure. It was over in 2 seconds. I felt a little prick and had some cramping for the first hour. It's now 4 hours after and no cramps. Not sure how the rest of the night will go though! I think the procedure is rough for those who haven't had kids. My experience involved very minimal pain. Now I'm worried I will bleed for 6 months straight like some people are saying. My regular period should be over tomorrow. I really hope the heavy bleeding doesn't last much longer."

ErikaJae17 May 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm so glad I didn't read these reviews before getting the iud inserted---I would have been terrified! Everyone is saying how it's so painful....umm? No. I'd say minor discomfort for a few seconds and that's it. I've had a little spotting since it was inserted but nothing crazy."

Don't be scared (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2015

For Birth Control "I had it put in about two years ago after my 3 rd kid. I was pleased with it at first but now I have noticed extreme hair thinning, low to no sex drive and gained about 10lbs I can't seem to lose. Calling tomorrow to have it yanked. My hubby is fixed so I can do it with out worry."

dawn mom of 3 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 3, 2015