Medication Guide App

7.4
Summary of Mirena reviews 868 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Mirena

Review by dpdragonfly (taken for less than 1 month):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Hello. I just had the Merina inserted 2 days ago. I am 50 and have horrible periods. Have started menopause, but periods are still really bad, so my doctor recommended the Merina. The insertion wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I had moderate cramps for a couple of hours, took advil an hour before my appointment and about 2 hours after and that's it. I have had a tiny bit of spotting, but no cramps. Hopefully, that's it for side effects. Thanks to all others who posted for very helpful information.

April 20, 2015 4:07 PM

Review by Efleming (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I'm a healthy and active 24 year old. I had mirena placed when my second child was 10 weeks old. I bleed quite a bit the first 2 months but then all of a sudden it stopped. I have not had a period or spotting in the last 4 months. I have the occasional cramp but that's it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2015 7:12 AM

Review by MarsB (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've had mirena for over a month (inserted 7 weeks ago). I was worried about insertion, but honestly did not feel a thing. I spotted for about a month, 10 of those days I needed more than a panty liner. Since then spotting has stopped and husband cannot feel strings at all.

April 20, 2015 4:17 AM

Review by KimZ:

For Birth Control: I just had Mirena inserted a week ago. I WAS TERRIFIED from reading all of the painful sounding reviews. But I followed through because I really do not like BC pills. I have to say it was NOT that bad! I took 4 Advil an hour before. Sure it was uncomfortable and bad cramping but it only lasted a few minutes. I had no cramping after the procedure but cramps later that night, similar to a bad period which I am used to. Mild cramps every now and then for the rest of the week. Spotting the first two days but nothing since then. I obviously haven't had it long enough to report side effects but will report back soon. I think everyone responds to IUDs differently and people like to write their horror stories. So far so good, hope it continues!

April 19, 2015 5:29 PM

Review by Ngerard11:

For Birth Control: Well I've had the mirena for about 2 months. I'm 22, no kids. I have tried different pills but I was horrible about remembering. The insertion of the mirena was really painful. I have had kidney stones and insertion wasn't quite as bad as that. After 2 days of horrible cramping it went away. After 3 weeks of spotting/ bleeding I stopped and have not had any period since. I do have cramps sometimes. I have not gained or lost any weight. No hair loss. No changes in acne. The only thing I've noticed is that I now have lots of little fine hairs all over my chin and side of my face. Way more than before. Not a huge deal, but annoying. My boyfriend can not feel it at all and my sex drive is the same. So far I love it.

April 19, 2015 10:38 AM

Review by zjamai (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: I just got my second Mirena inserted today - I will seriously never do anything else. I've tried other methods (patch, NuvaRing, pill) and nothing compares to Mirena if you want longer-term birth control! Yes, it is fairly painful upon insertion, but it lasts for only about 40 seconds max, but it is so worth it! Both time I didn't have bleeding or cramping afterwards. My first time I didn't even have spotting, my periods just completely stopped for all 5 years. I am crossing my fingers for the same this time! I never had weight gain and my skin was amazingly clear. For those who are interested in low-maintenance, long-term birth control, I cannot recommend Mirena more!

April 17, 2015 4:32 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I just got my first IUD put in Mar 17/15 and the insertion was pain free because I was frozen but afterword’s was quit painful. I'm 40 with no children. Pain went away after about 6 hours. 1st week I had no spotting but cramps every day. 2nd week got my period, it was a little more painful then normal but then again I have endo so they are always painful and heavy, lasted regular 10 days. Now going into week 5 no bleeding but am still getting cramps every day. I haven’t noticed any mood changes. Hoping the cramping goes away soon. Thanks god for Advil! For the first 2 week I lived in track pants as I couldn’t wear anything tight because it would bring on the cramps. Happy so far as I hated taken the pill so hoping month 2 things get better.

April 17, 2015 8:36 AM

Review by ARenee118 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I had the Mirena inserted at my 6-week postpartum check up in August 2014. The procedure was easy, no worse than any other OB/GYN experience. The first couple of months, my period was abnormal but eventually I had little to no periods at all (which is typical). The only negatives I have about Mirena is that it does hurt sometimes during sex if the intercourse gets a little intense. Also, I am completely convinced that it is the cause of my weight gain. I had lost all of my pregnancy weight and plus some before I had it put in. Since having Mirena, I have gained 40 pounds.

April 16, 2015 10:32 PM

Review by SAMommy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I had the Mirena put in after the pill failed again and my second child was born. It's worry free - also stopped my horrible cramps I used to have and my recurring ovarian cysts. Negative side though, zero sex drive. But I would rather have that than the chance of falling pregnant again.

April 15, 2015 1:38 PM

Review by Tawana908 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I switched from a Paragard to Mirena and guess what love it more everyday. No cycle, no acne no worries about protection. Yes a little discomfort when inserted but nothing a Tylenol would've cure. Love it

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 14, 2015 6:07 PM

Review by Venus1974:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have had since September 2014. I am 40 and have had problems with heavy bleeding, frequent periods, painful cramps, and depression during PMS since age 35. This has been great for relief of all my symptoms. Until my doctor mentioned this, I was looking at having a D & C done. I have had no weight gain, actually lost 5 pounds. Some spotting in beginning but very light periods now. No more depression the week before my period. It was a very positive experience for me.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 14, 2015 11:55 AM

Review by CTM:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've had Mirena in for 4 1/2 months now and I'm still bleeding. I'm going through about 2-3 tampons every 24 hours. I've gone through about 6-7 snaps where it'll stop for a day or two and then it starts right back up. I'm out of town for a few months, but as soon as I get back I'm having it taken out. I haven't gotten pregnant during those snaps, so I guess it's effective if you're willing to spend your life bleeding.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 14, 2015 10:29 AM

Review by Aashley (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I was on paragard for a year because of the no hormones,but I couldn't deal with the pain.The cramps were unbareable,and my periods lasted 7 days and were so heavy,Id have to use a super tampon PLUS a large pad .I switched to mirena, hearing the pain was a lot less & could shorten periods. Almost a year later,I haven't gained a pound like I was so afraid of because of hormones.I've even been able to lose a few pounds! My period has also gone from heavy and 7 days long to 3 days and so light I only use panty liners; I don't even buy tampons. Negative parts: Ive gotten a few more zits every time my period comes around after being on mirena & still get horrible cramps, but definitely not as often: 1/2 days instead of weeks at a time. love it!

April 13, 2015 5:59 PM

Review by GGMarie:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: This was placed in April of 2014. I have had it removed a week ago due to very severe back pain. I also had anxiety, depression and severe headaches. I would rather have the bleeding. My headaches and back pain stopped once it was removed and suspect that the depression and anxiety will also improve now. My MD and OBGYN did not recommend removing it, but I insisted and am glad I did. They were convinced the back pain & headaches was due to something else.

April 13, 2015 9:30 AM

Review by chelbells:

For Birth Control: I've had my mirena IUD in for about two months and I couldn't be happier. Getting it in was more painful than I expected and I had fairly intense cramping for about twelve hours afterward. By the next day I was at 100% and have had very few side effects. The spotting can be annoying, but my regular period has stopped entirely and my doctor says the spotting will stop soon. I wish I had done it earlier!

April 13, 2015 9:27 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: The pain of insertion was huge and I've had lots going on down there with a few cysts and surgery and stuff and this was the worst. Also, no one tells you about the blood from the insertion itself. There was a lot of blood, all over the place. My doctor said it was normal which I'm sure it was, but there was quite a bit, like the floor and the wall and the bed. I have now been bleeding for over two weeks and have had a lot of cramping. I've felt like shit, bad headaches, tired and everything. Not fun given it's end of school year...I have to agree with someones former remark, it's so effective at birth control because you really just don't want sex and all the blood. My husband has not been happy.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2015 9:54 AM

Review by Pga1084 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: Got Mirena inserted on 02/04/2015. I'm 30, with no pregnancies. I was on Beyaz for three years and the last few months I was spotting daily. My insurance covered it but only through reimbursement so I didn't have $ to pay for it out-of-pocket. I found a doctor who was part of a federal program where I only paid $175 for the insertion. Insertion felt like a rough Pap. The awful cramps started right after i got up. I bled like a regular period for 3 days and the cramps were the worst I've had in my life. No discomfort during sex. It is now 04/12/2015 and I've had one period where I only had to use pantyliners b/c it's so light. No more cramps. I love this for me but it definitely isn't for everyone. Just make your research ladies!

April 12, 2015 9:47 AM

For Birth Control: I got the Mirena in a month ago the procedure didn't hurt at all.The first two weeks the only problem I had was dizziness.About a week ago I started bleeding and have not stopped and I am cramping very very bad. I am starting to think I may have to get it removed.

April 12, 2015 8:56 AM

Review by Sylvie M:

For Birth Control: I've had the mirena since July of 2014. I got it put it when I was 16. Due to have endometriosis it was the best choice. ultimately it was a huge live saver the pain I had before has gone away. The insertion for me wasn't bad but I made a poor decision to go to varsity cheer practice the next day,bad idea. I don't really ever spot on a very rare occasion. I will though if I'm on a antibiotics , then it tends to mess with my mirena and I'll get cramps and will spot. Other then that it's been a good experience so far.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2015 10:59 PM

Review by firsttimemom:

For Birth Control: I had the Mirena placed about a month after delivering baby. I barely even felt it being placed, the nurse seemed surprised by how little I was bothered. Bottom line, don't be scared of what people write, it's totally worth the potential discomfort if it keeps you from getting pregnant.

April 10, 2015 8:20 PM

Review by rowdyred (taken for 10 years or more):

For Birth Control: I am a 37yr old mother of 3. Had my 1st IUD after my 3rd baby in 2003. I cannot express how much I appreciate not having a period anymore. In the past when I had periods I had massive amounts of cramping & insanely grumpy. I'm on my 2nd Mirena and close to time for my 3rd. No doubt painful when put in, but soooo worth it...IMO

April 9, 2015 10:55 AM

Review by craycrayof4:

For Birth Control: I absolutely love the Mirena. Afer getting with my lifepartner 8 years ago I opted for the Mirena because he had custody of his two daughters and I had custody of my 2 sons. It has worked great, no periods (unless months up to it being switched), comfortable, and keeps my hormones where they need to be, constant due to my bipolar. I am up for my 3rd round in August and wish I could just do it now. I still use it even though my life partner is cut... just in case! We have enough. LOL Give it a try. I love it!

April 8, 2015 10:10 PM

Review by Langue:

For Birth Control: I had a great experience with Mirena 3 years already everything going great in the first 2 weeks I felt a little bit uncomfortable and after 5 months my period is gone completely but it doesn't cause me any discomfort I really recommend it

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2015 10:29 AM

Review by shockley91:

For Birth Control: I had mirena put in about 8 months ago. So far it works as far as preventing pregnancy. I have 2 kids. But I bleed every time I have sex and it becomes painful at times to have sex. I spot all the time to and cramp on and off. Don't really like how it makes me feel. But it's the best birth control I've found so far.

April 7, 2015 1:45 PM

For Birth Control: Not a huge fan. Had it inserted about 7 months ago and I'm STILL bleeding. Made me extremely moody for a few months as my body was getting used to it. I bleed every time I have sex and I find sex painful.

April 2, 2015 5:21 PM