Medication Guide App

Birth Control 759 reviews 235 medications

7.4
Summary of Mirena reviews 835 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control: I'm had it since October and I've recently started having really bad cramps. I've been light headed and dizzy.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 29, 2015 8:49 PM

Review by Lalalex (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I love it! I'm 20 with a 2 month old and it was uncomfortable when I got it inserted, & I had cramps and bleeding for the first day. After that, nothing. I'm in love with it. Definitely recommend it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2015 7:19 PM

Review by bestmommmmmy12 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've had this for over 9 weeks.. no side effects.. didnt make me moody or anything. Except I've been bleeding non stop.. switches from light spotting to almost like post partum bleeding! I'm giving it another month or so and if this bleeding doesnt stop then im getting this out! The reason this birth control works is because it refrains you from having sex because youre constantly bleeding.

March 23, 2015 6:43 PM

Review by Mir012:

For Birth Control: I have only had the Mirena a couple of days but I really wanted to comment on the pain of insertion. Although it is very very uncomfortable type of a feeling, it was NOT excruciating pain like some people had. I'm 26, have had no kids, and am overweight (if that helps). It is over with fairly quickly, no longer than a minute or two. I felt some intense cramping and a couple of pinches of pain, but it the pain spread into just a bad cramp. Just breathe and you'll be okay. I got this put in because I was sick of breakthrough bleeding on the pill. I wasn't on my normal period when I had it inserted, but I was bleeding a fair amount. This made insertion easier.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2015 11:53 PM

Review by PNG (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: It has been 2 weeks since I got the Mirena and I am still getting cramps, have been bleeding for 2 weeks, get mild headaches, fatigue, lower back pain. I have read good and bad reviews about Mirena. I just hope I start feeling better soon and that this works.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2015 2:40 PM

Review by Alice paxman:

For Birth Control: I've had it in for a couple months so far it's been good. A little spotting every once in a while only hurt for a couple hours on the first day I got it put in. I'm 18 years old no kids. Works great I'm satisfied with it. Don't get long periods just about 2 hour long at the most. Partner says he doesn't feel string. Hurts ever once in a while.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 13, 2015 12:42 AM

Review by Hyra (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I definitely recommend the Mirena as an option for birth control. I decided to get it my senior year in high school because I have goals to achieve and I did not want any babies stopping that. I started off with pills but I realized my lifestyle did not fit that. If you do not want to worry about taking a pill on time EVERYDAY, and worry about the possibilities of you becoming pregnant, get the Mirena. It didn't hurt much and now all I'm doing is spotting. Take this from a teenager, it DOES work.

March 11, 2015 2:34 PM

Review by Mommabear224 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: So I got the Mirena put in in January. And so far I get headaches everyday, I feel nauseous about half the day. Basically I feel pregnant the whole time. But the Mirena is working birth control wise. Worry free sex with my husband makes up for all of the symptoms.

March 11, 2015 12:15 PM

Review by karrkar:

For Birth Control: I had Mirena inserted after I had my daughter and it hurt for the first day then nothing, never felt it. Ever since I had it in I never had a period (which was nice) never had a problem with it besides I could never feel the strings but my doctor told me she cut them short on accident.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2015 4:53 PM

Review by Mishc (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: I got the Mirena after I had my second ( and last) child. I'd had problems with the pill, like blood clots. I had the insertion in 10-14-2007. It was a bit painful, but not unbearable. My period became lighter and non existent. So when the 5 years was up, I got another one. Same thing except for the bleeding, I now get a lot of the other symptoms. I am now 44 and if I still need one in 2017, I will get a new one.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 7, 2015 11:41 AM

Review by CRAIG AMY:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Let me say. I had some light bleeding after the first month. Now I have had no periods. I'm 41 years old. I have had the worst periods since I was 16. My mood swings have stopped and my skin is amazing. Look it up. It also helps with acne. I am so grateful. It really does work!

March 5, 2015 8:08 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: OK so pretty much a few days out of each month I would spot very light, no cramps. For the first 6months. Thr first two months i was kind of heavy but it would subside really quickly. After that some months I wouldn't even spot at all. The procedure hurt a little. But that was to be expected. Overall I'm happy with it. Barely any cramps.

February 26, 2015 1:11 PM

Review by Jamski (taken for less than 1 month):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Mirena inserted 2-23. I am an active almost 30 year old who has problems with heavy periods and very painful crams. I was not on birth control before this. The insertion itself was a nuisance but tolerable. That was 3 days ago and since, I have experienced minor cramping with some spotting. I have had a gassy/bloated feeling since with lose stool. Yuck. My stomach is making some weird noises too. The real pain is the headaches and dizzy spells. Never in my life has a medication made me dizzy like this. My mood overall is pretty damn great considering I am always a little over-emotional. I have also had an increased sex drive but maybe this is due to some external factor I'm not thinking of. I hope I don't gain weight.

February 26, 2015 11:57 AM

Review by michelle ann alias:

For Birth Control: I'm 19 and have a 1 year old daughter I've had it close to a year and it's great, didn't hurt too bad to have it put in. Cramps for about 2 days off and on then stopped my period. I got it put in because I was super moody from my last birth control and constantly bleeding and now it's been awesome. Besides lately I've had lower back pain that won't go away and I haven't gained weight but I also can't seem to lose weight.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2015 12:22 AM

Review by Logan Ragsdale:

For Birth Control: I got my Mirena on October 3, 2013. And I have bleed for 96% of it. But now I can tell a difference, it's working now like it should.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2015 10:21 PM

Review by Jaelly (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I'm 31 years old with a 2-month old. Had Mirena inserted last week--no pain at all. I think they suggest it for women who have previously had children because insertion can be very painful if you haven't. But mine was quick and easy, no side effects, although I did start bleeding last night. After reading some of the reviews here, I'm hoping it doesn't last very long!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2015 11:06 AM

Review by Blahblah2:

For Birth Control: I absolutely love this thing. I had crazy side effects for the first 8 months, the doctor will tell you six. After the 8 months my periods have been great, I don't have to think about taking a pill everyday, and wearing pesky condoms. It's lovely I'd recommend it any day

February 17, 2015 10:25 AM

Review by MnAnmlNurse:

For Birth Control: Had it inserted 12/3/14 and haven't stopped bleeding. My husband and I got to have sex for the first time in 2.5 months. I have period like cramping all of the time. Insertion was almost painless. I was hoping this would be the answer to my irregular periods after having my second son via c-section 4/14/14.

February 11, 2015 9:12 PM

Review by LyricalRationality (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had Mirena placed after the birth of my second son and have had it almost two years. The first year was fantastic, I had little or no bleeding at all. Now, I have longer, heavier periods; excessive moodiness; and bleeding between supposed regular cycles. I think it may be time to remove it.

February 11, 2015 1:52 PM

Review by Anno5:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had this put in while breastfeeding when my baby was eight weeks old. No side effects and my periods have not ever come back four years on - which is amazing as I had years of terrible pain with endometriosis. For me it has been the best thing ever!

February 8, 2015 1:18 AM

Review by Gina - 123456 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Tried pill form birth control for a few years before getting off of it because it caused some strange mood swings/anxieties. Felt better off birth control for 1 full year but decided to try Mirena because I was getting my period after like 10 days from stress/etc. I took 4 Advil the morning of and the procedure was a bit uncomfortable but it kind of reminded me of getting an ear piercing ... it's painful but it's not like the worst type of pain ever. I just did a lot of deep breathing through it. Had cramping for a few days but just keep the Advil pumping! Discharge in the beginning, but pretty much smooth sailing now 2 months later. It's great!

February 3, 2015 5:50 PM

Review by Indi4025 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I'm in my 40's with no kids. I have endometriosis and very painful periods. I got the Mirena a few days ago and I have had cramps non-stop since, my Dr. told me to expect cramps & bleeding. The procedure was VERY uncomfortable. But I'm hoping this will help with my endometriosis and painful periods.

February 1, 2015 1:56 PM

Review by manomino:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I got Mirena for 1 year and 3 months to reduce bleeding during periods, it was effective, my cycles were better but I suffered from a lot of the side effects that make my life terrible. First I never stop spotting between periods. I suffered from back pain, uterus cramps, panic attacks, stress. It really made me feel very sick. I removed it finally. Hope that things goes better.

January 28, 2015 6:01 PM

Review by gigi68 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I was anemic and very low iron levels and even experienced passing out. I would bleed 10 days and couldn't control my bleeding ruining clothes chairs bed mattresses and sheets not to mention sleepless nights. I have a uterus fibroid and a few outside the uterus. I still had the Mirena placed even with the fact it may not be successful due to the fibroids. The first 3 months were spotting a lot but nothing more than a light day. 4th month seemed to have a period and spotted the whole month. I waited it out and I couldn't be happier. It is a wonderful thing. I have read a lot of negative things but its all opinions and its like trying new food, somethings you like, some you don't.

January 28, 2015 7:49 AM

Review by acne face:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Did not research the Mirena prior to my procedure so the pain of insertion was a surprise. It felt like someone was scraping the inside of my uterus with a small and very sharp knife. The Doctor jokingly said I looked as if someone just beat me up because I was tearing eyed and probably looked very angry. Had it now for two months and have been spotting and cramping everyday. I used to have pretty and clear skin. At 51 years old, I feel like a teenager with a bad pimple condition. Have an appointment this Tuesday and decided to have the Mirena removed. I will definitely research pain of removal and come prepared.

January 26, 2015 8:13 PM