User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 119 reviews 163 medications

7.1
Summary of Mirena reviews 974 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I had the mirena since 4 th june 2015, im 45, and had 12days of light spotting, and the odd headache now and then, and feel really good, i dont feel depresed, i would highly recomend the mirena! You read all these stories, but everyone is different , so, far, so good!"

123kitty kat June 30, 2015

For Birth Control "After my 2nd child I decided to go with Mirena, I have now had it for close to 5 years (mid July 2015 will be 5 years). I have not had a single problem with it. It did not hurt during the procedure and stopped my periods altogether. I love it so much I already have my next one ordered and scheduled to be replaced on July 21st. I think everyone's body reacts to any type of birth control differently and that being the reason there are so many mixed reviews about it. Received a call from my Drs office yesterday telling me that my insurance covers it 100%, so no out of pocket cost for me :-)"

AmberLucas (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have had Mirena for about 9 months now. Before I was on the pill with a period for four days. I switched to Mirena because it was just easier than remembering to take a pill. Shortly after the insertion I had severe pain and bleeding. A month later I started spotting then bleeding for over a week. This would occur every couple of weeks. It was irritating but I thought it would have gotten better. Now 9 months later I experience periods for 2-3 weeks straight with constant bleeding. I am fine for a week, and the entire process begins. I am switching back to the pill."

Nikkk16 June 28, 2015

For Birth Control "I just had Mirena inserted on June 25th 2015. I had forgot to take Advil prior to as I was going to the doctors right from work and didn't have any pain meds with me. My doctor told me I would experience some cramping during the procedure so that didn't sound like big deal. I should have done more research then I never would have had it done. It was the most painful experience I have ever had, worse then passing kidney stones. The device was being tricky (Drs words) so she had keep adjusting it. It was excruciating, I was having hot sweats and felt like I was going to be sick. I don't know how I managed to drive home afterward because I couldn't even stand up straight. 3 days later & I'm still having random bad cramps."

Little DM June 27, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "It's been almost 5 months on the mirena and I'm still having break through bleeding. I constantly have to be wearing a pad , day & night. All my under wear are ruined."

Candida (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm 18 years old and never had an children and I had the mirena IUD inserted because I have endometriosis very bad. My experience was great! The whole procedure took maybe 3 minutes and it wasn't painful! I would suggest this to anyone."

AshPEACH June 26, 2015

For Birth Control "I've had the mirena in me for about 4 1/2 years. Its a love hate situation. I love it because I never got pregnant off of it and haven't had a period since I got it in. But the longer I had it in I feel depressed at times lack of sex drive and bipolar at times."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2015

For Birth Control "I had mine put in yesterday and yes it hurt really bad unlike anything I have ever felt and I have still have cramps but my doctor told me they would last a month and should stop but I could bleed lightly or irregular for 3-6 months I suggest talking to your doctor about it and it's different for everyone so just remember that just because it hurt for me it may not for you and wish you all the luck and hope you have a good experience"

Anonymous June 26, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm 24 years old and this is my second time to have the mirena. I had it the first time for 5 years then had it taken out due to the 5 year period and got put on the pill. The pill was not for me at all. So I decided to get the mirena again. I do not have a child. The mirena did hurt when I got it put in and did have bad cramping and some spotting but it was no unbearable. I was fine the next day. I have no gained weight being on the mirena or have had trouble with it. I still sometimes spot And my period is not regular anymore but that comes with it. I personally believe if you are not ready or do not want to have a child right now the mirena is the best thing!"

Anonymous June 25, 2015

For Birth Control "I had Mirena inserted in June 2015. The insertion process was very painful. I had a local anesthetic, and the doctor said it reduced the pain 50%. The pain of the sound for uterine measuring was significant despite the anesthetic. I experienced some bleeding and severe cramps with rectal pain and pressure for 9 days. I spent most of the 9 days heavily medicated and missing work. I could not sit down without extreme pain. This is NOT a normal reaction, so I should have removed it right away. After ultrasound the IUD appeared to be properly placed. The conclusion was that Mirena was either poking or aggravating a major nerve. Had Mirena removed after 9 days. Symptoms improved immediately upon removal but not completely resolved yet."

Jen442015 June 25, 2015

For Birth Control "I got mirena in on Monday 6-22-2015 and it's thursday now and these cramps on my left side are killing me . I think I made the wrong choice by getting this. It hurt so bad when they were putting it in . the day I got it I had to take so much meds just to sleep so I wouldn't hurt. I think I'm gonna have it removed because I can't keep calling off of work."

mirena (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

For Birth Control "Aged 54 with no kids and premenopausal. Had my period for over a month with heavy bleeding and cramping. Went to ob/gym for consult on possible uterine ablation and she suggested Mirena 1st to stop the bleeding. I have a retroverted uterus and because this wasn't a scheduled procedure I was not told to take any pain meds beforehand. It was the most excrutiating pain ever, however, I also had cervical biopsies done just prior to insertion. Not sure which hurt more but I layed on the table for a good 15 minutes after in tears. So far it's been 2 weeks, heavy flow has slowed to constant spotting and bloated like a blowfish !! So hoping that things get better so I don't have to do ablation vs hysterectomy. horrible panic attacks :-("

54nobrats (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena implanted two days ago (Wednesday June 17, 2015) and so far it has been close to the easiest thing I've ever had to do. I'm 18 years old and I've never had a baby, I got the Mirena to use as a form of birth control. I took 880 mg of aleve 1 hour before my appointment and the whole process took maybe 10 minutes. I've only had one Pap smear before and she even had to dilate me a little bit but it didn't hurt worse than my worst period cramps- you just have to breathe through it. I had light spotting for the rest of the day and some mild cramps that felt better when I laid down and used a heating pad. Now I'm in no pain at all and I am happy and have energy and am VERY happy that I got this done!"

Hellocass June 19, 2015

For Birth Control "I wanted to write a review because before I got my IUD I did a lot of research, and want to reciprocate for others. The IUD is the greatest decision I've ever made for my health. I personally found the insertion experience completely fine. It was mildly uncomfortable for about 30 seconds while my doctor inserted it, but I took a deep breath and was fine. I had a little bit of spotting right after. Over the following three weeks I had a mixture of light to moderate/heavy bleeding every day. This wasn't great, but it seems like a minor inconvenience compared to the years of benefits I will get from it. Over the past 6 months that I've had it, I have had light, irregular periods. I am getting them less frequently. Mirena's great. Get it!"

College student (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 18, 2015

For Birth Control "I had my 1st child in November 2014 and got Mirena January 2015. I spotted for the 1st month and a half. I've had cramping, no sex drive, lack if energy, acne, hair itching, and gained 20 pounds in 4 months. I finally got Mirena removed today 6/17/2015 and I already feel better. No cramps I've been able to work from 5 am to 130 go to the gym, go shopping, and play with my baby without fatigue. The RN was giving me a hard time and stating my research is wrong and Mirena doesn't make women gain weight due to such low hormones but I told her everyone's body is different, and this was not the right birth control for me. I told her even all my coworkers that have it right now are experiencing the same issues so what does that tell you? She acted like she had an attitude because she couldn't talk me out of removing it, but I don't care it's my body my choice. I hope that this helps someone. If this is what it costs to not have a period I'd rather have mines!"

ZENIA'S MOM June 17, 2015

For Birth Control "I just had this inserted June 16, it was easy. Had baby nine weeks ago and also had the procedure done during my first period after baby on day 2, currently breastfeeding exclusively . I also took prescription pain killer an hour before procedure. My insurance wouldn't cover it it would cost 900 plus for paraguard so I went to planned parenthood expecting to pay around $400 but was told they currently have a grant, so it was free! While at the clinic the Dr recommended I try the mirena because I already have heavy periods so I'm hoping this works. after the procedure I did feel nauseous a bit light headed on the way home but I didn't eat anything and took prescription pain killer. I read a lot of scary insertion stories expected the worse"

Anonymous June 17, 2015

For Birth Control "I had Mirena put in about a week ago & it by far the most excruciating pain I've ever felt! I'm missing some of my left leg due to a motorcycle accident so believe me when I say I know pain, the insertion was worse than ANY of my surgeries. I had to make my obgyn stop bc the pain & discomfort made me so light headed & sick to my stomach. The pain & cramping for the first 2 days after made it impossible to move & now a week later I still have bad discomfort & spotting. I've noticed an increase in appetite & acne on my face that I never had problems with before. I had mirena placed as an option to help my severe bipolar mood swings but I think this may not have been the right option for me. I'm giving it a few more days to change my mind."

WasHopingToBeWowed June 17, 2015

For Birth Control "I just got this inserted two hours ago and I'm hating life. As soon as I left my drs office I felt faint and like throwing up. Kept getting hot flashes. Called my Dr before leaving and went right back to her office. Still sitting here with awful cramps and the urge to pass out. Hopefully this ends soon! Took Advil before. No kids. It was painful getting it inserted. If you have awful cramps during your period I do not suggest getting this inserted and leaving right away after."

Rz June 16, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the mirena inserted last Thursday 6/11/15. I took ibuprofen 1hr before. The cramp on insertion was not as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe the ibuprofen worked. The cramping has stopped but I still continue to spot. Other than spotting so far so good. Before mirena I was on the depo. I gained 20 lbs and what was suppose to help my bleeding only cause me more trouble. Depo caused me to have no period for 6 wks then I would spot the next 6 weeks until next injection. I really hope the mirena works out. Also with depo I had large clots. No clots so far since the mirena"

Anonymous D June 14, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had the Mirena for about two weeks. Previously I would get cramps so bad from my period I would be bed ridden. I talk to my GYN and she suggested this. I can say that I still have cramping but it is not NEAR as bad as what it was. and I am still spotting. The spotting is so irregular that having sex is kinda off the table right now. although my sex drive is Crazy. I am 19 years old, and its not to bad so far, but I am hoping it will get better, and that I can keep my normal weight."

DESging June 12, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had Mirena for a little over two years and had it inserted 4 weeks after having my only child. I had dealt with horrible cramps every month for my entire life, until Mirena. It is a blessing to not have cramps and to not have a period but maybe 3 times a year. However, this comes with a huge BUT for me. I have zero sex drive, have gained 20 pounds that I cannot lose to save my life, constantly have discharge, and bleed and hurt after intercourse. I've been thinking about getting it removed due to my husband being frustrated with my low drive, but to have those horrible cramps again makes me cringe. Tough situation that I would rather not be in."

Kinkos June 12, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had mirena inserted on May 27th.... Terrible pain but only for a minute. My doc was quick and talked me through the procedure. Since the 27th, I have bled constantly. It is terrible ... I have an extremely heightened sex drive but the bleeding is getting in the way. My husband wants it out he said I was better off without it. I have been very moody and tired. Also notice a weird odor but no infection is present. Ugh."

Steffy420 June 10, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I'm 38 and have been a heavy bleeder for most of my life. Soaking pads and tampons many times day and night. I tried birth control pills to control my bleeding but they made me depressed and had to stop them. I tried the Mirena and was shocked at how fast my periods stopped. Just unbelievable that in two months I went from soaking pads and tampons chronically to wearing a small liner daily. It was a small pinch getting it in and well worth it. I really thought there was hope for my bleeding and it has been gone for 5 months now. The first 2 months I had little periods. Then they stopped all together. This Mirena really works. Hang with it for a few months and your period will be gone."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena inserted 3 weeks ago this Friday. The insertion was quick but slightly painful, the cramps started right after and were really bad for the first week. After I got cramps every day just during the late afternoon for some reason. The cramps stopped about a week ago. I am still spotting. I think once I stop spotting I will be happy with the product. I've been super emotional as well."

90Honeybee June 10, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have had the Mirena for 13 months now. I had light bleeding in between periods the first two months and then just a light brown discharge between what should have been periods ever since. I had cramps the first 8 months, but they were sporadic and disappeared within 30 seconds each time I felt one. I would get occasional cramps when I should have had a period. No skin breaking out, no mood swings at all. I want to KISS the person who invented this. And it didn't hurt when I had it inserted. Felt like a huge menstrual cramp for about 30 seconds and that was it and I have never had a baby. So far, so good!"

Shawnybear June 9, 2015