User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 190 reviews 162 medications

6.2
Summary of Mirena reviews 1248 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I was super nervous for my Mirena insertion and for no reason! The process from start to finish was about 2 minutes and I had zero pain. The most significant discomfort was the speculum which was mild. I highly recommend Mirena to anyone looking for long-term, low maintenance birth control."

Mamaof1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 9, 2016

For Birth Control "I was considering changing over to the implant because the insertion process sounds easier but after reading THOSE reviews...I think I'll stick to my Mirena. All in all I love my Mirena. It will be 4 years this month since I've had it. I haven't had a period in over 3 years. Occasional spotting. Rare cramps. I haven't noticed any mood changes or acne or anything else people are reporting. My bf has never noticed when we have sex and there is no discomfort for me before or after. The ONLY thing I would say was not very pleasant about the Mirena is the insertion. Probably the most painful thing I've ever experienced thus far (32 yrs old, never been pregnant/given birth). Lasts a sec tho. All in all, highly recommend :)"

Loren84 February 7, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm a 20yr old woman who has never had kids and I'm here to tell you how to get an IUD so you don't have a terrible experience like some of the people who rate this drug badly Don't listen to the bad reviews! They will just freak you out, plus complications are extremely rare, especially if you ask the doc (not a nurse) about his/her personal stats. Side effects like moodiness, weight gain and acne are impossible! Less than 1% of the drug gets in your blood stream so it can't have the same side effects as most birth controls The cervix softener and ibprofin really help with pain while lorazipam helps relax your muscles. Make sure you take them! It will hurt like a strong cramp, but it is brief and worth the 99.7 protection plus no periods"

Kenzie Thatcher February 2, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had the Mirena for a total of 10 years & I'm very pleased. The only part I don't like is the insertion process (yes, it can hurt, but it's a quick pain if you have a doctor that knows what they are doing), the bacterial vaginosis I sometimes get & the ovarian cysts. Everything else is great! I rarely have periods & when I do I just spot a little (I used to have very heavy periods & BAD cramps). I also haven't ended up pregnant. I highly recommend this form of birth control."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 10 years or more) February 1, 2016

For Birth Control "Had the Mirena IUD placed during surgery in June 2015. I had spotting and bleeding for a while afterwards. OB/GYM said it takes up to 9 months to adjust. Most recently very light periods, now no period. I'm told my hair and skin look heathier, I look like I'm losing weight, I've noticed my nails are growing. Most recently though my sex drive has decreased. I'm 41, and choose this because the man I was with couldn't use latex condoms due to an allergy. Overall I'm happy with it."

SassyK11 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

For Birth Control "Due to my age (42) and the need for contraceptive and relief from having my period last 2 of 4 four weeks after my second child, I was advised that the Mirena was the best option. I was concerned about having several fibroids which I was diagnosed as having when I was 30. So, Mirena inserted. The bleeding was inconsistent for 12 months. My doc said give it 3 mths, then 6 mths, then 9 mths. No change. After the first month it was noticable that my belly was sticking out. I gained weight around the middle that I could not budge. Had it taken out and felt normal again the next day. Then my period came, with a vengeance. I believe my body stored my menstrual blood which made my fibroids bigger than before. Back to the gyno for me."

Livvy28 January 31, 2016

For Birth Control "I had Mirena inserted in April of 2015. The insertion was painful for me, as I have not ever been pregnant and given birth. I had light spotting for two weeks after insertion and then when I thought my body was adjusting, I would spot throughout the following months. It wasn't until month 6 that the spotting stopped. It was also in month 6 that I discovered one mass in each of my breasts, one the size of a walnut and the other the size of a small gumball. I really did enjoy having no periods with Mirena, but I had it removed at month 9, with a pending breast ultrasound and mammogram at age 26."

Anonymous January 30, 2016

For Birth Control "I had Mirena inserted 9 months ago, and it has been the worst experience. This IUD will exacerbate stress, and I have periods for 10 days every month! I also noticed others were mentioning pain during intercourse and lack of libido: Totally!!!!!!! It is awful! I have no desire or energy, and when we do, I have pain in my lower abdomen in certain positions. As for acne, it has increased! I haven't experienced any issues with weight, although I haven't been actively trying to lose, and I have a fast metabolism. I have spoken to others who are taking it, and 1/8 people I spoken to kept it in after a year. They also mentioned panic attacks, severe depression, and lack of energy... "mood changes" don't take if u already have anxiety issues!"

Bad juju (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2016

"I went to the gynecologist for severe menstrual cramps. A few years back, I took the pill and completely hated it -- it made me so moody that it wasn't worth it. I got the Mirena IUD placed a couple days ago in hopes of getting rid of pain and heavy bleeding. I'm having some spotting, but it's only a couple days in. The insertion only took a few minutes and the pain was bearable. I would recommend taking the day off to lounge around due to cramping. Uncomfortable, but not unbearable. I feel fine today, no pain."

Ceeb (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Just got the Mirena three days ago, so not too sure how it's gonna play out yet. After almost two years of trying out different options to relieve my condition (dysmenorrhea), I sided with my doctor and went to the gynecologist to get it inserted... He basically told me I would get a small cramping sensation so didn't take anything at the time of insertion. It was an extremely painful experience, so much that I could barely stand after and had to have someone pick me up and drive me home. Spent the next 36 hours in bed, unable to move, in excruciating cramping pain with nausea. Could barely move or eat as it would send me straight to the bathroom. Currently have been feeling better since yesterday, but I guess we'll see."

taty12 January 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I had this IUD implanted in my poor body Dec 12 2015. I had read the reviews and I under estimated the painful, not pleasant process. I began bleeding as soon as it entered my body. The cramps and bleeding remained for 25 days before I went to the emergency room and begged for it to be removed!!! During the holidays I was met with 3 massive migraines all within 3 weeks including Christmas day. I also began to get a pain in my left side along with getting up every hour to pee. The cramps were endless and the left side pain had me doubled over. It was removed last Sunday and I spent 2 days in hospital. Oh also a bladder infection. They stated it could be likely from the IUD. I had nothing but issues with this horrible little T shaped product!"

Lisa72 January 24, 2016

For Birth Control "This is my experience so far for anyone considering a Mirena coil. I ummed and erred for months because of negative reviews and my concerns were: 1) Would insertion hurt? The answer was no, I've had more painful cervical smears than the insertion of my mirena coil. 2) Would it mess with my monthly cycle? Yes, it did. I bled constantly, (in an array of colours!) for the obligatory 3 months that the GP told me to wait, until my body got used to it. Then it was another month before I finally went back to my GP and said "Help". She gave me a progesterone pill told me to take it for a month. I only took it for only one week! It did the job, I stopped bleeding and have gone on to a normal cycle. My periods only last a couple of days, do not hurt and are light, (just a smear of blood). I am 47 and compared to the heavy periods I was having before, it's a walk in the park. 3) Would I put on weight? No, not so far. I feel thinner around the middle. 4) Would I loose my sex drive? No, not so far. I was worried about this, however I am happy to say that I have noticed no difference. Sex is just as welcome and enjoyable as before. 5) Would I get spots? No. The doctor told me that this was less likely because the hormonal content is tiny and localised to the womb. She was right. All in all it was the right decision for me. I am very happy. I hope this post helps others."

lucycatmac January 23, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 27 with no kids. I do not want kids and never have. I wanted something long term that was more reliable than the pill and wouldn't mess with me in the way the shot does. I've had Mirena for several months now. At first the cramping was odd and painful, nothing I couldn't handle, it would happen sporadically and would subside after a few minutes. A few months into it, its pretty much gone. No periods and minimal spotting. It was literally, for me "stick it and forget it" I'm very happy with it. No weight gain, no acne, no mood swings. I'm still my regular self. For the insertion I was really scared and my OB gave me something for nerves. Honestly it just felt like a deep cramp. I didn't feel the pinch. but its different for everyone."

NoBabies (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 23, 2016

For Birth Control "Had Mirena inserted Mar 15 hoping for a relatively low maintenance BC option. I had a very regular, 28 day cycle with 5-7 days of heavy bleeding. Insertion felt like a hard pinch. For the 2 weeks I had shooting, sharp pains that left me in a ball on the couch & w/ heavy bleeding. For the next 6 months I spotted or bled almost 3/4 weeks a month & had heavier bleeding for about 10 days during those 3 weeks. By Sept it seemed to finally settle into a 3.5 week cycle but bleeding would be heavy or have spotting for 10 days. Thanksgiving I started bleeding, & bled almost daily until I had it removed mid Jan 16. Day after removal, severe bleeding, giant clots even w/ being on mini-pill. Day 7 had to take progesterone to stop abnormal bleeding."

MissMylissa January 23, 2016

For Birth Control "No problems. I still menstruate here and there. But overall no cramping..maybe some temporary gain weight during menstruate days like usual. But overall great. I got pregnant as soon as I removed it and put it back after my second baby. And still no problems."

Love 7 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 22, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "changed my life for the better"

theonlymermaid January 21, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have Mirena for over 6.5 years due to my heavy periods because of uterine myomas. I just replaced new one over a year ago. I had natural delivery of 3 kids, so extraction even with hysteroscopy and insertion was a "piece of cake" for me. Did not sense anything. The plus sides are that it does the job and I have no excessive bleeding nor get pregnant or having any physical discomfort at all. However, I have several other side effects. Bad mood, low sex drive, weight gain over 25 kg and never gone down (I got 10 kg in first 3 months after first insertion), insomnia (cannot sleep at all without sleeping pill), my migraine have worsening, all body swelling - particular face and eyes (like I was heavy crying)......"

etoncev January 21, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I just had the Mirena inserted today around 3:30pm. The insertion procedure was painful for me but I only took Ibuprofen 30 minutes prior to insertion which may explain why the insertion was as painful as it was for me. The CNM who inserted the Mirena was very helpful explaining everything that she was doing while she was doing it during insertion of the Mirena. I have had cramping but Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen did help with that and just a little spotting. I have endometriosis also and I was not aware that it could spread to my pelvis and even as far as my lungs. I chose Mirena due to the fact that I gained a lot of weight using Depo and the pill and because it could help with my endometriosis."

CNA1979 (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Let's see here...first of all, I wouldn't even give mirena a 1 but 0 isn't an option. I had it for 2 long, excruciating, miserable months to help with my heavy periods. I lost my sex drive completely, bled the entire time. Had terrible back and pelvic pain, mood swings, not stop migraines, extreme hunger, no energy at all, severe depression and if that's not enough anxiety and panic attacks. I would absolutely not recommend this to anyone at all. So terrible. Think twice before you have this placed."

Cb2885 January 20, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had Mirena for going on 4 yr in June and love it! Insertion was quite uncomfortable... But not bad! I never have suffered from bad cramps and continue the same (except 1 night having extreme discomfort.) My boyfriend picked me up from the couch and took me to bed... I was in so much pain.... Constant most horrific cramping... Crying myself to sleep... He wanted to take me to hospital! And I have had 2 kids 1 vag 1 c sec. But I just wanted a dark rm and sleep... Woke up the next day normal! Only bad experience the whole time! Periods have ceased at moment... But usually monthly until 2 months ago pretty normal until stopped! But I do recommend and give 10... Even with the 1 night! Implanon was bad... Constant period!"

Bcoe January 19, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding " My doc thought I would be fine with this with no kids, also selling the idea of almost no period. Insertion wasn't too bad, Xanax and 1000mg of ibuprofen, made it a piece of cake. Barely spotted for 5 days and thought it was amazing. I heavily bled for 63 days straight after those blissful five days. I had debilitating cramps, taking at least 2000mg of ibuprofen a day half the time. Day and night sweats, stress and anxiety out of nowhere, sleepless nights. Since then, I get my period for 9 days, AFTER about 4 days of spotting. Then 2 weeks it starts all over again. I bleed after sex. Turns out it made my body go through pre menopause... At 28 yrs old. Making an appt tomorrow to remove!"

RainyWA January 18, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Had Mirena placed in December of 2014 for endometriosis. Bled 15-20 days out of the month. 9 months after placement started to have severe hip, low back pain and nausea. Had severe PMS and a lot of hair loss. Turns out it perforated my uterus and I had to have emergency surgery. I would not recommend this device to anyone! Horrible experience with it and I wish I never had one placed!"

Katie Hicks January 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had my Mirena placed back in January of 2011 after I had my son. My insertion wasn't bad, but it wasn't terrible either. I didn't have any ill side effects like so many experiences on here. I had normal cycles up until 2013 when my cycle stopped. The only thing I didn't like was it was uncomfortable intimately. It literally left me bent over after intercourse with spotting. I'm scheduled to have mine removed Jan 20 2016. It's been a great form of bc for me outside of intercourse. I'm not planning on getting another one placed unless I decide I've had enough of the shot."

xBrownmamix (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 17, 2016

For Birth Control "Since I got pregnant with my daughter while I was on the pill and then got pregnant with my son well on the depo shot. I decided to take this IUD, it is the worse birth control EVER. I'd rather just get pregnant over and over again, I had weight gain, depression lots of pain. Since getting it out I have been doing 95% better with my depression, I have no pain, I've lost weight with out trying (6pounds) but I have no period for the last 2 1/2 months with no pregnancy and I had a period while I was on this IUD. So don't get it unless you Want a messed up body."

nat153 January 17, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 18, I got pregnant in the Summer of 2015. I lost the baby about a month and a half ago due to Hydrops and I've been doing okay since. My doctor recommended the Mirena IUD and I thought it'd be a good prevention of pregnancy seeing as getting pregnant again probably wouldn't be the best thing for my future and taking a pill everyday didn't seem good seeing as I'm a very forgetful person. The reviews I've read seemed absolutely terrible and I was pretty freaked out but I got the IUD 2 days ago and so far so good. The pain varies from person to person so I can't say it won't be painful, mine just felt like period cramps and then some mild pains after as if they were normal cramps but not terrible; no mood swings. Hoping it works for me."

12mw34 January 17, 2016