User Reviews for Mirena

7.4
Summary of Mirena reviews 819 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Mirena

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: OK so pretty much a few days out of each month I would spot very light, no cramps. For the first 6months. Thr first two months i was kind of heavy but it would subside really quickly. After that some months I wouldn't even spot at all. The procedure hurt a little. But that was to be expected. Overall I'm happy with it. Barely any cramps.

February 26, 2015 1:11 PM

Review by Logan Ragsdale:

For Birth Control: I got my Mirena on October 3, 2013. And I have bleed for 96% of it. But now I can tell a difference, it's working now like it should.

February 19, 2015 10:21 PM

Review by Blahblah2:

For Birth Control: I absolutely love this thing. I had crazy side effects for the first 8 months, the doctor will tell you six. After the 8 months my periods have been great, I don't have to think about taking a pill everyday, and wearing pesky condoms. It's lovely I'd recommend it any day

February 17, 2015 10:25 AM

Review by MnAnmlNurse:

For Birth Control: Had it inserted 12/3/14 and haven't stopped bleeding. My husband and I got to have sex for the first time in 2.5 months. I have period like cramping all of the time. Insertion was almost painless. I was hoping this would be the answer to my irregular periods after having my second son via c-section 4/14/14.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 11, 2015 9:12 PM

Review by LyricalRationality (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had Mirena placed after the birth of my second son and have had it almost two years. The first year was fantastic, I had little or no bleeding at all. Now, I have longer, heavier periods; excessive moodiness; and bleeding between supposed regular cycles. I think it may be time to remove it.

February 11, 2015 1:52 PM

Review by Anno5:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had this put in while breastfeeding when my baby was eight weeks old. No side effects and my periods have not ever come back four years on - which is amazing as I had years of terrible pain with endometriosis. For me it has been the best thing ever!

February 8, 2015 1:18 AM

Review by Gina - 123456 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Tried pill form birth control for a few years before getting off of it because it caused some strange mood swings/anxieties. Felt better off birth control for 1 full year but decided to try Mirena because I was getting my period after like 10 days from stress/etc. I took 4 Advil the morning of and the procedure was a bit uncomfortable but it kind of reminded me of getting an ear piercing ... it's painful but it's not like the worst type of pain ever. I just did a lot of deep breathing through it. Had cramping for a few days but just keep the Advil pumping! Discharge in the beginning, but pretty much smooth sailing now 2 months later. It's great!

February 3, 2015 5:50 PM

Review by Indi4025 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I'm in my 40's with no kids. I have endometriosis and very painful periods. I got the Mirena a few days ago and I have had cramps non-stop since, my Dr. told me to expect cramps & bleeding. The procedure was VERY uncomfortable. But I'm hoping this will help with my endometriosis and painful periods.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 1, 2015 1:56 PM

Review by manomino:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I got Mirena for 1 year and 3 months to reduce bleeding during periods, it was effective, my cycles were better but I suffered from a lot of the side effects that make my life terrible. First I never stop spotting between periods. I suffered from back pain, uterus cramps, panic attacks, stress. It really made me feel very sick. I removed it finally. Hope that things goes better.

January 28, 2015 6:01 PM

Review by gigi68 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I was anemic and very low iron levels and even experienced passing out. I would bleed 10 days and couldn't control my bleeding ruining clothes chairs bed mattresses and sheets not to mention sleepless nights. I have a uterus fibroid and a few outside the uterus. I still had the Mirena placed even with the fact it may not be successful due to the fibroids. The first 3 months were spotting a lot but nothing more than a light day. 4th month seemed to have a period and spotted the whole month. I waited it out and I couldn't be happier. It is a wonderful thing. I have read a lot of negative things but its all opinions and its like trying new food, somethings you like, some you don't.

January 28, 2015 7:49 AM

Review by acne face:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Did not research the Mirena prior to my procedure so the pain of insertion was a surprise. It felt like someone was scraping the inside of my uterus with a small and very sharp knife. The Doctor jokingly said I looked as if someone just beat me up because I was tearing eyed and probably looked very angry. Had it now for two months and have been spotting and cramping everyday. I used to have pretty and clear skin. At 51 years old, I feel like a teenager with a bad pimple condition. Have an appointment this Tuesday and decided to have the Mirena removed. I will definitely research pain of removal and come prepared.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2015 8:13 PM

Review by Dessabear (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: Got the Mirena in almost 2 weeks ago, and I must say I love it so far! Horrible cramps for the first 5 or so hours after insertion (had to drive home) and almost couldn't take it. Heating pad helped bunches along with laying on my back. The cramps went away the next day! I even went to work. A few cramps here and there, but that's expected. Nothing too unbearable. I'm also a 21yo with NO kids. My boyfriend also can't feel it. One thing though, the antibiotics they put you on day of insertion did give me a Yeast Infection. Went away a couple days later. Love the Mirena so far!

January 23, 2015 11:57 AM

Review by totallyhappy:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I am 42 years old. I have uterine fibroids which, for the past few years, have caused excessive bleeding during my periods. It was miserable. SO, my doctor suggested the Mirena IUD. It emits the tiniest amount of progesterone (something that I was apparently lacking) and thins the uterine lining which would greatly reduce my bleeding. Insertion was very painful for me. But I have never had kids. There were a few months of adjustment. I experienced quite a bit of body aches- my lower back and hips, legs and feet. That all went away. My periods are VERY light now. and my life is back to normal. It is now January and I feel great! So glad I did it.

January 20, 2015 2:42 PM

Review by HSF (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I was scared to get Mirena after reading all the horror stories but got it anyways and I'm liking it so far! I'm 20 years old with no kids. Cramping during insertion and off and on for a few days after, nothing unbearable. Skin has gotten better and I've actually lost weight but this might not have anything to do with Mirena. Only downside is I'm still spotting but my doctor said it should be gone within a month or so. No pain during sex and my boyfriend says he can't feel the strings either. Would definitely recommend! Don't let all the horror stories scare you.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 20, 2015 1:26 AM

Review by Mama knows:

For Birth Control: I am getting mine taken out next week. I've been on it for almost two years and have bleeding 95% of the time.

January 16, 2015 10:13 PM

Review by mlsr:

For Birth Control: I love Mirena. I am 26 and never had kids before. I had my Mirena inserted 7 months ago, little pain when MD inserted. Little cramps but it all want away. I have gain few pounds. Overall it is a great birth control.

January 15, 2015 8:50 AM

Review by eskin234:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I'm 20 with no children. Have had Mirena for a month. Bad cramping when inserted and the whole day after. No cramping since. Started my period shortly after, was significantly lighter than normal. I've been spotting every day since though. A bit annoying but it should go away. Got a little acne but it's almost gone, and I've been more irritable than usual.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2015 12:02 PM

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I'm 16 years old with no kids. The insert of the Mirena was very painful, and I mean so painful that I teared up and felt very dizzy after. I have used birth control pills in the past for heavy bleeding and cramping but I got break through bleeding. The first day of getting it inserted was probably the worst day, now I'm just spotting! But I do recommend this device to other teens/women who have heavy periods!

January 13, 2015 11:49 AM

Review by Andrea B:

For Birth Control: I feel like the people who say that they had a painful insertion are only the ones who have either never had a baby or never had cramps. When they put mine in it was only uncomfortable, not painful. There was some minor cramping afterwards, but I am noticing that I am struggling with losing weight. After my second child I was able to drop my weight pretty well, but now after my third and having this in it is really hard and I feel like I retain a lot of water.

December 31, 2014 11:11 AM

Review by Kimberley audrey:

For Birth Control: I'm on my second Mirena and I think it's great! The first one I got, took a long time to stop spotting.. I was frustrated and wanted it out. My doctor's office, suggested waiting, and giving it a chance. I'm really happy I listened! Each month, it got better. Those beginning days, are so far behind me now.. I haven't had any problems, at all.. Definitely worth it!

December 29, 2014 11:49 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I have had the Mirena for almost three years now and love it. Insertion was not painful at all. Just a little uncomfortable. I bled for two months then my periods went back to normal. After a year they went away completely. I'm very thankful for that. I suffered from really bad menstrual cramps and severe mood swings. Once I got the Mirena my moods seemed to balance out. My cramps have disappeared. I have noticed even though I don't get a period I still get minor PMS symptoms. I would recommend this to any woman looking for a convenient birth control that works. Also I am glad it does not have estrogen in it. Some of the estrogen based birth control gives me migraines and causes me to be moody.

December 29, 2014 1:49 AM

For Birth Control: 29 years old and two kids. I've had the Mirena since February 2013. I would recommend it but my only issue is I bleed for a day or two after sex. But not during so it's no problem with my husband and I.

December 27, 2014 10:27 PM

Review by MariG (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I got Mirena inserted December 15, 2014 and I LOVE IT! I am 21 years old with no children. The insertion was very very painful. I bled and cramped the day of the insertion and day afterwards. So far, its been one week and I feel fantastic!

December 22, 2014 7:48 AM

Review by angelica20:

For Birth Control: I'm 20yrs old, with one toddler. I read about this choice of birth control for weeks and finally got it today. The process wasn't to bad. Cramping at first and slight dizziness afterwards.

December 18, 2014 7:03 PM

Review by Sexycibby35 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had Mirena inserted on September 2. I had very heavy cycles that lasted 8 days. After getting Mirena my periods are much lighter, no more ultra tampons and overnight pads at the same time! My cycle is 5 days but only the first day is enough for a super tampon. I spot the rest and most of the days nothing! Insertion was horrible, my uterus is really high and is kind of hidden behind my what's called the G-spot. I would go through it again to have the cycle I have now. Side effects are Breast tenderness constantly and acne. Still love it!

December 17, 2014 8:47 PM