User Reviews for Mirena

7.4
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 128 reviews 163 medications

Summary of Mirena reviews 1012 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "Having had the mirena in for nearly two years at doctors advice, I'm having it removed on Thursday as its the worst thing to have done. It has made me depressed, mood swing are horrendous to the point my children and husband are getting it all. I have no desire what so ever to be intimate with my husband. I feel like I have lost control of my body. The only plus is I don't have periods , PLEASE do your research and choose wisely which contraceptive method you have."

ANGE1976 July 28, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Got my IUD inserted toward the end of my period on July 6th. I just had a baby in March and it took me almost 3 months to start my period. Insertion wasn't too bad. Felt a little pinching but that was it. I did bleed after insertion that that lasted about 2-3 days. After that I started having really bad abdominal pain to where I needed to take Ibuprofen all the time. The bleeding did stop after the 3rd day of insertion but then on July 19th I started to bleed heavily and have not stopped since. So basically for these past 3 weeks I have either had sever abdominal pain or heavy bleeding. I'm really not liking this at all. It's irritating to have to go through what seems like an extended period. Considering in having it removed!!"

Lady702 (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had uterine ablation and Mirena insertion under general anesthetic 5 weeks ago. I am SO happy I did. The only side effects I've noticed so far are a few small breakouts (I had cystic acne all through my 20's, so I was very concerned about this)-- but it seems all settled now and my skin is clear again. I had several friends and doctors recommend Mirena to me. I was hesitant and tried naturopathy first to regulate my cycle and help with ovarian cysts etc, but nothing worked enough to get my iron up. So glad I tried this. I feel like it's improved my quality of life so much already. I would recommend to anyone concerned about pain of insertion, to ask your doctor if insertion under conscious sedation is an option."

J N July 26, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "i had Mirena inserted a week ago after D and C and hysteoscopy at the same time. I was under a general anaesthetic so can't comment on pain on insertion. I started bleeding between periods and after sex about 2 years ago. It got increasingly worse despite medication and tranaxamic acid. It would always come back..with a vengeance! I Had hormones tested as the doctor suspected peri menopause but my hormones showed I was nowhere near menopause.My iron was super low too.Ultrasound showed small cysts on ovaries and also thickened uterine lining and a small polyp. After having the procedures last week and the Mirena fitted I feel like a new woman! Had minor cramping for 24 hours and have only had slight spotting since. Nice to feel normal after so long!"

Jen Oz (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 26, 2015

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena inserted two weeks ago on the second day of my period. I have had two children and I didn't feel the insertion of the device AT ALL. My doctor did use the ultrasound machine to make sure the placement was correct. I took 800mg of ibuprofen before I went to my appt. I had slight cramping and have had light/bleeding since. I am and avid runner and I have no problems with pain after rigorous exercise or intercourse. I am hoping that as the weeks go by the light bleeding decreases. It's worth 4 years of birth control to me."

acbro July 25, 2015

For Birth Control "I was 23 years old when I gave birth to my daughter and decided I wanted to give Mirena a try as my next birth control. I have high hormone levels which makes regular birth control a nightmare due to the frequent migraines. So after exhuasting most birth control choices before my daughter's birth, Mirena was one of the last choices I had left. I've had it for over a year now (May, 2015) and I have no conplaints. I still get the slight cramping as if I am going to start my cycle but no blood and no major pain from it. It was a choice that really worked for me."

WaterLilly737 July 22, 2015

For Birth Control "Was on microgynon for two years because of heavy periods, and while it worked I was awful at remembering to take it. So I heard mirena could be an alternative and after a bit of research reading both really positive and really negative reviews I figured it was different for everyone and I wouldn't know unless I tried it myself. I was a little scared as not only have I never had a child, I am a Virgin ( age 20). But I took two paracetamol and went in completed relaxed listening to music. if you stress you will tighten up and it will inevitably hurt more. Yes it hurt,but for about 5 mins. I bled the first day, but not since. It's been three months, no spotting or bleeding at all. Incredible, best decision I made. Pain killers+relax=success"

Carrotcake July 21, 2015

For Birth Control "I went through a medical abortion and I decided to get the Mirena IUD because the pill wasn't working for me. I had mirena inserted 9 days after my abortion. After my insertion, I felt no pain. I drove home pretty happy with my decision and relaxed for the rest of my day. Six hours later, I started getting really horrible cramps. It was so bad that I began having second thoughts, almost as bad as the abortion... Laying down, some hot soup and a heating pad made things tolerable. The next day, the cramps dramatically subsided, and by the end of my first week, the cramps were nonexistent or very rare. It's been a month and I'm still spotting, but I'm very happy with my decision so far. Btw my boyfriend never feels it and he's at least 7in..."

Ellaq235 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2015

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena put in aprox. 5 days ago. I'm 23 have had 4 miscarriages and in decided I will not try anymore. I asked my doctor about the IUD and he was very happy in my decision. Anyway to start off with yes it hurt like hell. Then I felt fine got up from the table. Walked to the front desk and nearly passed out my blood pressure dropped well below normal and they said it is normal. I recovered in full. Was able to drive home. I have had mild cramping and just spotting not even enough to wear a pantie liner. I have had some pimples pop up but totally worth it. Tonight me and my husband had sex and all the pain I had felt during sex before has gone away. It's amazing. He didn't have to be careful either. Matter of fact I can't believe it"

Kayvan3679 July 20, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Had the Mirena inserted in May 2015 to control heavy bleeding after having my second child. My tubes are tied and I have PCOS so dr did not want to do oblasion since my risk of uterine cancer is higher. Insertion wasn't bad, and I had some painful cramping for 24 hours after but felt normal again within a week. Had no period at all in June And around the time my period would have started in July I started bleeding. Not heavy, I wouldn't even soak through one pad a day. A few times fairly large clots came out but I figure that is my body adjusting. It has been almost 2 weeks and I'm still spotting. Noticed a bad odor but no infection. Dr said it takes 6 months to settle so in trying to hang in there!"

MegHannW (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2015

For Birth Control "I got mirena to help my endometriosis . I no longer have pain, no longer have headaches that the pill gave me . The iud has made my life so much better and easier . I spot occasionally and have a very light period it's very nice !"

Happy mirena user July 17, 2015

For Birth Control "I switched to Mirena because I was sick of consistently taking the pill at the same time. I haven't had kids before- so the insertion was pretty painful (although about 5 minutes in duration...easier than childbirth). I was crampy and had normal period bleeds for about 2 weeks and thought what have I gotten myself into. After that- it's almost like it all went away. I have minimal spotting occasionally and maybe a morning of cramps once a month. No pill to remember. And my partner stated the first time we had sex he felt the string but since it has softened he cannot. I love this birth control and would recommend it."

Jojosephine July 17, 2015

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena inserted 6 months ago, and slowly but surely my mood and mental state have been deteriorating ever since. Where I would normally have PMS I now cry so much I can't go to work or even answer the phone. My mood crashes with the suddenness and intensity of having a bucket of ice water poured over my head. My sex drive is gone. And this for something the doctors keep saying doesn't influence your moods because the hormones are localised in the body!? And when I finally got hold of someone from Mirena themselves they just told me to go on anti-depressants. I can't wait to get it out of me tomorrow."

Beth 1012 July 13, 2015

For Birth Control "I've had my IUD for almost 6 months now. I researched a lot about birth control before picking the Mirena. In the beginning, after having it in, it is a rough ride. Bad cramping, bleeding for a month straight. Once that stops and ur body adjusts, it's pretty nice to not have to think about birth control. I still PMS, get cramps, and have spotting around the time I would be having my period but not anything like how it was naturally. I have concerns about long term affects bc I'm only 21 and I would love to have babies one day, just not right now. Bc IUD are so new they are still working out long term affects so I would only suggest getting one if you are done having kids."

Alliebananas July 10, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm 22 y/o and I just had my first baby and just got the Mirena 4 days ago. My doctor told me to get the Mirena as a birth control instead of any contraceptive pills because pills will decrease my milk supply. I was having second thought getting this because of other people's review which scares me so much. However, my partner tried to convince me to give mirena a try. My doctor also introduced me to mirena and she ask me some question to determine if it's suitable for me. Although I had second thought about getting it, I still did because I'm not good at keeping track on stuffs if ever I have to take pills. The insertion didn't even take 5mins. I felt a slight discomfort. I just had minor cramps but overall it was a good choice."

Incessa (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 10, 2015

For Birth Control "Had it inserted an hour ago. All good. Took 1 Valium and 2 Nurofen one hour prior. Have bicornuate uterus, significantly retroverted, no kids and am 46. Had it done during my period which is the norm in Australia. Inserted speculum and .Dr washed the cervix and gave 4 local anaesthetic injections into the cervix. Deep breath then cough really helped when she did each injection. Pain 4/10. As there is adrenalin in the local anaesthetic can make heart race and legs shake. Stopped after a couple of mins. Not uncomfortable. Dr Inserted Mirena, stung a little and then voila finished - 15 mins total. RN held my hand, distracted me and reassured me. Very professional. Totally different than what I expected after all the alarmist stories."

Hostitute (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2015

For Birth Control "previously on pills and they were driving me mad and not working (severe headaches and cramps) so I decided to try the coil, afterall if it doesnt work I can get it removed. The first week was fine, I did end up with severe cramps but my doctor booked me in for a scan and checked it was fine which it was and we just put the cramps down to my body adjusting to the coil. I had very light periods for around two/three months and then my periods completely stopped and have done ever since. i still have very mild cramps but nothing like what i had on the pill, I'm really happy with the mirena and would recommend but you need to be aware its not for everyone but worth a try!!!"

laura.mo July 9, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm 17 never had kids, and was on the drop shot but wanted to get something that I could just leave in and not worry about. I got mirena in and it did hurt but only for a split second, I don't even remember the pain now, I had cramps instantly but they only last a couple hours, I had no spotting or bleeding,(most likely because I was also covered with my drop shot). Overall it was a very easy procedure, only took 3 mins and not very painful, I would recommend this to anyone!"

noname123 July 8, 2015

For Birth Control "I was recommended Mirena after I got a blood clot at 17 years old due to a protein s deficiency, Mirena was my only option. I decided after years of research that it was time to try it out. Having never had kids I was told the insertion and everything would be a little more painful than a mother would experience (my mom was on Mirena) the insertion was painful, but after I was fine. About 3 days later I was in so much pain that I kept throwing up and couldn't stand up straight, my gyno said this was normal... I've had my IUD in for 1.5 years, about twice a year a get pain like I did originally. I've noticed mood swings, weight gain and total loss of any sex drive. Only reason I've kept it this long is it's my only option"

S_Wagner (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2015

For Birth Control "So. I tried typing my whole story but there is a limit on this text box. SO. I had it placed when I was 16 in 2014 at planned parenthood in Tacoma, WA. Placement was intensely painful, but only it did only take about 10 minutes (including measurement and placement). I had a 6 week period (last two-ish weeks were just spotting) but since then I have not had a period except for very occasional light spotting after sex (only if I have sex more that once in a day) and it only lasts an hour or so. I absolutely love my mirena. I will FOR SURE have it replaced when my 5 years are up. Although I have heard that I should play it safe and have it replaced at 4 or 4.5 years. I am sad that there are so many negative reviews because this is truly a life"

SidneyElisabeth July 8, 2015

For Birth Control "November 2011 at age 19 I went to the gyno to discuss birth control options with the doctor and my fiance (now husband). Children were not a part of our plan so young so we decided to get the Mirena. Financially it was the best option, not to mention the most convenient.The insertion was definitely uncomfortable, and the first 3 months were rough as the IUD settled in and I got that awful jabbing feeling. I gained about 10-15 pounds, but that is an effect of just about any birth control option you use. After being on it almost 4 years I randomly spot, but it's done it's job. If you can hang in for the 1st 3 months or so, and you're looking for an effective, hassle free, long-term birth control I strongly suggest this method!"

ProMirena (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2015

For Birth Control "I am 21 years old and I got my mirena inserted July 2nd because my gyno recommended it to me instead of pill birth control. I didn't take any medicine since I didn't have any on me but I did experience a terrible cramp feeling when I had it inserted. I took Advil for the next 48 hours. I still experience cramps every day but it's not unbearable. I am hoping it goes away soon. My period is gone but I have been spotting a tiny bit, nothing crazy. After hearing all these crazy stories I am getting a little nervous about this. I will right again in a week or so."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Painful insertion do to tilted uterus no spotting and back pain, should have went for hysterectomy"

tired of this issue July 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm a 33yr w female. Married, no children. My primary care doc inserted Mirena yesterday. Insertion is weird but it does feel similar to monthly cramps. Heavy bleeding after and that night. Today feel fine with lt-mod spotting. I plan to do a follow up post monthly. Stay tuned for details :)"

TexasTea2015 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I had my Mirena inserted September 2011, background info: Im in my twenties and have 1 partner and i have not had any children. My doctor wanted me to try the nuvaring first but I said i'd like the mirena for ease of use. The insertion was uncomfortable, and i had some cramping that day but nothing you cant handle! :) Overall, I like the Mirena. I have spotting off and on, but I only need a panty liner when it happens. No acne or weight gain, I do have a decrease in libido and i find that if i have an orgasm it is painful as I get cramps after (maybe that increase my decrease desire? due to expectant pain...). I'll be keeping in the mirena for another year to make it to the 5 year point, but Ill be removing it then."

Woodycanada July 7, 2015