User Reviews for Mirena

7.3
Summary of Mirena reviews 772 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Mirena

Review by Natasha j:

For Birth Control: I wanted to share my experience with the procedure. I am 19 and never have had kids. When they put in the Mirena it didn't hurt like many women on the review said. It felt like a quick cramp and then it was all over with. It's been about three days, and so far I have had light cramping about 3 times a day and spotting.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 12:10 AM

Review by kacielynn (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I've gained alot of weight

November 9, 2014 6:13 PM

Review by Jess808:

For Birth Control: I am 19 years old, no kids and the insertion was painful. I love Mirena, probably the best decision I've made in my life. Super effective, no side effects, and I have actually lost weight. I think everyone should try Mirena birth control.

November 8, 2014 1:46 PM

Review by Courtneylars (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: While I enjoy not having a period and knowing I am protected from pregnancy without having to take a pill everyday I am having my Mirena removed Thursday. I have only had it 6.5 months and in that time I have had a constant dull back pain, uncontrollable acne and I have also gained 25 pounds. Mirena is just not for me.

November 3, 2014 12:59 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: 22, no kids. LOVE. The insertion was painful, I took two ibuprofen 30 minutes prior like my gyno directed.Thanks to the most supportive nurse and nurse aid insertion went smoothly, I was in and out in an hour. After a week of discomfort and 2 months of getting an irregular period I now no longer have a period. This is a miracle device, no kids and no aunts for 5 years.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2014 1:53 PM

Review by KJ1116 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: I'm 40 years old with two teenaged children. I was tired of taking a birth control pill daily, and had trouble remembering to take it sometimes. I had the Mirena inserted last month, and it was a painless procedure. I had some minor cramping for the first day or two, but no bleeding. I did not get my period this month and I'm hoping I don't get one ever again! I highly recommend Mirena.

October 27, 2014 2:50 AM

Review by ironside88 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: This amazing device has well and truly changed my life. I used to suffer from extremely heavy periods with cramps and sickness that meant I had to take a minimum of half a day off work a month. I now barely have periods and no longer have to plan my life around those few days each month. I have only given it a 9 because it was pretty painful to insert, otherwise I would have definitely given 10.

October 14, 2014 5:06 PM

Review by lana23 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: Enjoying the idea of the Mirena more than having it at the moment. Got it inserted on 10th September 2014 the day that my period finished and have had a heavy period ever since. It's great to not take a pill every day and sex isn't painful as I worried, although there isn't any need to worry because the bleeding is preventing that from happening. I just really hope it settles down and that the bleeding stops. Very jealous of everyone who only had a day or two of spotting.

October 4, 2014 12:34 AM

Review by Britt1234:

For Birth Control: Had it for years and love it. Changed it out after not having a period for years and boy it was painful. My first Mirena was nearly painless - just a little tuck. This time it stabbed me hard a few times (quite painful) but each time it was over in seconds. I had menstrual cramps for an hour and that was it. I didn't even get my bleeding back (just a little right afterwards). Yeah! May advice: if you choose the Mirena be patient - the first year I constantly bleed off and on but then my period disappeared. Find a doctor who has done this a lot - I believe experience is the key! Also - have it done when your cervix is dilated during your period. I took Misoprostol for that the night before but that did not help.

September 24, 2014 7:30 PM

Review by Life-changing!:

For Birth Control: I love, love, love Mirena. I had my first one put in when I was 21 due to debilitating periods, and I hadn't had any kids. Not going to lie - the pain was truly horrible upon insertion, and I did cramp for weeks afterwards, but after that cleared up 5 years of no periods changed my life. I just had my second one put in yesterday and it was nowhere near as traumatic as the first time since my hormones had leveled out. I HIGHLY recommend it for women who don't want/can't take high estrogen birth control or would like to stop their periods safely. It's been absolutely life-changing for me, and I hope Mirena and other IUD's continue to gain popularity as people see how great they really can be.

September 19, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by OddAud:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had my Mirena inserted exactly a year ago at the age of 56. Now 57 and still no menopause in sight. In fact I just got my period today. Granted its lighter than it was before Mirena but out of the last year, I have at least spotted almost every day. June was a good month for me with my first skipped period and no spotting. July one day of spotting. Went for my Pap smear in August, told my GYN that it looks like maybe this thing is finally working, started spotting that night and never stopped for the entire last month. I give up. I do give Mirena a 7 though because my periods are lighter, albeit right on time every month, unfortunately. I will keep it inserted as it is now about what I know.

September 4, 2014 12:18 PM

Review by NYCGirl729:

For Birth Control: Mirena gave me my life back. Ever since I hit puberty at 11 years old I have had horrible, very heavy, very painful periods . Around 18 I was diagnosed with Endometriosis. I would miss school, work, have to double layer my clothes when i slept it was horrible. I tried every birth control out there including Seasonique, The NuvaRing, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Depo-Provera, Loestrin, Lybrel, if you name it I've tried it. Nothing worked. I started having periods that would last for 2-3 weeks. Finally I tried Mirena, having it put in was painful- but bearable. The first 6 weeks I had cramps and spotting. After that nothing. I get a very light 2-3 day period now and then. No cramps. It's amazing and gave me my life back. I'm so thankful for it!

September 3, 2014 2:59 PM

Review by akk99222212:

For Birth Control: I got my Mirena almost 6 months ago now and I absolutely love it. I read so many reviews that made me hesitate to get it - it took me months to decide which birth control to get, but my Dr recommended this so I trusted her. I have had 1 child previously, 2 years ago now, so I think that helped make my experience smooth. I took some ibuprofen before getting it put in and there was discomfort but nothing unbearable. I spotted and had irregular periods for the first 2 months, it was really annoying. Then I spotted occasionally for another two months or so. My periods have stopped completely now so it was worth it. Also, the cramping was not bad at all. Nothing more than the moderate period pains I used to get. And my partner never notices it.

September 3, 2014 12:27 PM

Review by lilshorty:

For Birth Control: I had Mirena for a little over 2 years now and I love it. I got it after my 2nd child. I did not feel any pain or cramping when the doctor inserted Mirena. I have been on the patch, the pill, Depo-Provera way before I got Mirena. I am 28 years old and in a few more years I am going to get this one again. I would definitely recommend to anyone.

August 21, 2014 6:38 PM

Review by Jchick:

For Birth Control: I believe myself to be very pain tolerant. I got one of these inserted, and it caused me so much pain I nearly passed out. Keep in mind, however, that I have never been pregnant before. If you have not been pregnant your uterus does not have as much elasticity. Also, my uterus was set back in a position that made for a difficult time for my gynee to get to it. (This happens when you have not been pregnant sometimes) Nurse said she had never seen the gynee actually have to utilize the ultrasound to insert it. 1 day after insertion, and now I am completely cramp free. Don't let the horror stories scare you. Ease of use, cost (completely free), and effectiveness of this product is phenomenal.

August 20, 2014 5:12 PM

Review by orangecj18:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I am 51. Had it inserted 2 years ago. I never felt a thing. Did not take ibuprofen prior to. It was quick and painless. I bled for a couple weeks after. Slight cramping for a few days. I do still spot. Nothing major. Gained a few that I can't drop. That's my age too. Not to blame Mirena. Very glad I did it. Should also take me through menopause. Positive experience.

July 31, 2014 9:46 PM

Review by Sare:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: The Mirena was a really good decision that I made. But getting it inserted was the most painful thing I have ever experienced in my life. The pain was so bad when the doctor was inserting it I thought I was going to pass out. I bled for a few days after it was in, minor spotting but very intense cramps. I got it almost a month ago and I am just starting to spot a little again now, so assuming this is my period that are normally very extreme due to my blood disease I have and not being able to clot, the Mirena is working well for me.

July 26, 2014 4:21 PM

Review by LexiG (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: Went on Mirena as it was one of my only options for birth control due to hormone issues and aura migraines. It hurt pretty bad having it put in. I suggest 800 mg of ibuprofen a half an hour to an hour before insertion. I have never had a child. Right after insertion I felt great, no pain for a few hours, then the cramps began. Nonstop terrible cramps with a little bleeding, for 3 full days. I finally called the Dr and she wrote me a script for Vicodin so I could go to work. No sleep for those 3 days due to terrible pain. The cramps finally subsided but then the stabbing pain started. Terrible stabbing pain in my abdomen. I think my body was rejecting it. I had it removed. Feel much better.

July 10, 2014 5:44 PM

Review by vikkijayne:

For Birth Control: I had the Mirena fitted as nothing else worked for me. I've had 3 babies full term. Can honestly say the insertion didn't hurt I hardly felt a thing. Had quite bad cramps afterwards and light spotting but not too bad. Highly recommended to all.

July 8, 2014 5:29 PM

Review by melgunner (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: Had my Mirena inserted July 30 2014, I am giving it such a high rating at this point because I have nothing but positive experiences so far. Unlike most people I had it inserted after having no children, the insertion was slightly painful but just felt like a bad cramp that went away quickly. The cramping stopped 2 minutes after insertion and then I had some mild cramping later that day. Spotting is minimal to null, only noticeable on bathroom tissue. -For anyone thinking of getting on before they have had a kid: I was given misoprostol vaginally to soften the cervix and took ibuprofen for 24 hours before to help with cramping. The misoprostol did not cause me cramping or discomfort as I feared it would.

July 1, 2014 8:30 PM

Review by Great experience (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: I am 40 yrs old, and I have had Mirena just 2 months shy of 5 years before having it removed. I experienced some cramping when it was inserted and a few days after. Post removal, I had very minor cramping, but nothing that required medication. I have had no to very light periods the entire time. I still weigh within 5 pounds of what I weighed when I got it. No mood swings, no anxiety, no depression. This is the best birth control that I've had. Previously I was on Depo for 12 years and the pill before that. Everyone's body chemistry is different, therefore, the negative experiences may not be yours. If you are hesitant, I would try Depo Provera first as my experience with both have been very similar.

July 1, 2014 10:56 AM

Review by misslady85:

For Birth Control: I'm 29 years old and just had my 4th child. I got it inserted 7 weeks after having my 4th child. Insertion didn't hurt, just a little cramping. I felt dizzy for the 1st 20 minutes. Went to work and had light spotting. Now on my 4th day with the Mirena and I still have light cramping and spotting is now turning into regular bleeding. So far so good!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2014 12:14 PM

Review by becmarie201:

For Birth Control: I have had Mirena for almost 3 years now. Getting It removed on Monday for sure. I suffer from depression but ever since I got the Mirena it has gotten worse and my anxiety attacks keep coming and coming. I have severe headaches that cause my vision to be blurry in one eye and my left side of my body goes numb. It's very scary and I can't live like this anymore.

June 27, 2014 8:37 PM

Review by Jeans1234:

For Birth Control: I had Mirena inserted two years ago, after I had my fourth child. When It was inserted I did not feel anything at all, I even had to ask the doctor if she was finished lol. For the first year or so, I had unexpected periods some short, some long, some heavy, most very very light. For a short while I was able to predict when I was going to get my period because my mood sings would go crazy. Now Its been two months that I get less then a day periods. It is only a little spotting done. I feel good, I have not gained any weight, no pain, no more mood swing. It does not interrupt my sex life with my husband. I would recommend Mirena to anyone.

June 27, 2014 5:00 PM

Review by Luckymomof3 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have 3 children and just had my third Mirena put in today. The cramping has already stopped. I love the Mirena because the last 2 times my period disappeared. Also, My libido is usually good and I don't have to worry about taking the pill. The only problem is that at the 2 year mark because of my endometriosis, I start to get really bad cramping.

June 23, 2014 10:57 PM