User Reviews for Mirena

7.4
Summary of Mirena reviews 802 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Mirena

Review by totallyhappy:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I am 42 years old. I have uterine fibroids which, for the past few years, have caused excessive bleeding during my periods. It was miserable. SO, my doctor suggested the Mirena IUD. It emits the tiniest amount of progesterone (something that I was apparently lacking) and thins the uterine lining which would greatly reduce my bleeding. Insertion was very painful for me. But I have never had kids. There were a few months of adjustment. I experienced quite a bit of body aches- my lower back and hips, legs and feet. That all went away. My periods are VERY light now. and my life is back to normal. It is now January and I feel great! So glad I did it.

January 20, 2015 2:42 PM

Review by HSF (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I was scared to get Mirena after reading all the horror stories but got it anyways and I'm liking it so far! I'm 20 years old with no kids. Cramping during insertion and off and on for a few days after, nothing unbearable. Skin has gotten better and I've actually lost weight but this might not have anything to do with Mirena. Only downside is I'm still spotting but my doctor said it should be gone within a month or so. No pain during sex and my boyfriend says he can't feel the strings either. Would definitely recommend! Don't let all the horror stories scare you.

January 20, 2015 1:26 AM

Review by Mama knows:

For Birth Control: I am getting mine taken out next week. I've been on it for almost two years and have bleeding 95% of the time.

January 16, 2015 10:13 PM

Review by mlsr:

For Birth Control: I love Mirena. I am 26 and never had kids before. I had my Mirena inserted 7 months ago, little pain when MD inserted. Little cramps but it all want away. I have gain few pounds. Overall it is a great birth control.

January 15, 2015 8:50 AM

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I'm 16 years old with no kids. The insert of the Mirena was very painful, and I mean so painful that I teared up and felt very dizzy after. I have used birth control pills in the past for heavy bleeding and cramping but I got break through bleeding. The first day of getting it inserted was probably the worst day, now I'm just spotting! But I do recommend this device to other teens/women who have heavy periods!

January 13, 2015 11:49 AM

Review by Andrea B:

For Birth Control: I feel like the people who say that they had a painful insertion are only the ones who have either never had a baby or never had cramps. When they put mine in it was only uncomfortable, not painful. There was some minor cramping afterwards, but I am noticing that I am struggling with losing weight. After my second child I was able to drop my weight pretty well, but now after my third and having this in it is really hard and I feel like I retain a lot of water.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 31, 2014 11:11 AM

Review by Kimberley audrey:

For Birth Control: I'm on my second Mirena and I think it's great! The first one I got, took a long time to stop spotting.. I was frustrated and wanted it out. My doctor's office, suggested waiting, and giving it a chance. I'm really happy I listened! Each month, it got better. Those beginning days, are so far behind me now.. I haven't had any problems, at all.. Definitely worth it!

December 29, 2014 11:49 AM

For Birth Control: 29 years old and two kids. I've had the Mirena since February 2013. I would recommend it but my only issue is I bleed for a day or two after sex. But not during so it's no problem with my husband and I.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 27, 2014 10:27 PM

Review by MariG (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I got Mirena inserted December 15, 2014 and I LOVE IT! I am 21 years old with no children. The insertion was very very painful. I bled and cramped the day of the insertion and day afterwards. So far, its been one week and I feel fantastic!

December 22, 2014 7:48 AM

Review by angelica20:

For Birth Control: I'm 20yrs old, with one toddler. I read about this choice of birth control for weeks and finally got it today. The process wasn't to bad. Cramping at first and slight dizziness afterwards.

December 18, 2014 7:03 PM

Review by Sexycibby35 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had Mirena inserted on September 2. I had very heavy cycles that lasted 8 days. After getting Mirena my periods are much lighter, no more ultra tampons and overnight pads at the same time! My cycle is 5 days but only the first day is enough for a super tampon. I spot the rest and most of the days nothing! Insertion was horrible, my uterus is really high and is kind of hidden behind my what's called the G-spot. I would go through it again to have the cycle I have now. Side effects are Breast tenderness constantly and acne. Still love it!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2014 8:47 PM

Review by gmbmw75mo:

For Birth Control: I had Mirena inserted 5 months ago and am still having very heavy periods with horrible cramps. Periods are lasting about 3 weeks and then I only get a 2 week respite before it starts again. I've also gained quite a bit of weight these past 5 months. Thinking about having it removed. After reading and hearing others comments, I have noticed that those that have not had children are having more issues and side effects than the women that have had children.

December 13, 2014 7:45 PM

Review by Patchgurl86:

For Birth Control: I had Mirena inserted 3 yrs ago. Only a little cramping after insertion, periods stop within 2 months, no acne but a little lower back pain and weight gain. Mirena is still worth it though. Very happy with this product.

December 13, 2014 8:32 AM

Review by hfischer:

For Birth Control: I just had the Mirena inserted yesterday. I'm 22 years old with no kids. The procedure was very painful. I felt nauseous afterwards and felt like I was gonna pass out during it. I had major cramping and bleeding for the rest of the day. Today I only have mild cramping and some spotting. So it seems to be getting better.

December 12, 2014 12:21 PM

Review by youngandwildandfree (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I got the Mirena inserted about 4 days ago on the first day of my period. Since I'm 19 I got it for free at a teen clinic! I experienced bad cramping with insertion because I have not had a child, but it was nothing I haven't felt before. I have a heavy menstrual flow so I bled and cramped a lot the first three days, but now it's day 5 and I am not even spotting at all. Obviously it's soon to tell if I'll have other symptoms or irregular bleeding but so far the process has been a breeze for me and I love my Mirena!

December 9, 2014 12:50 PM

Review by Newlywed3:

For Birth Control: Periods went away completely, Gained 15 lbs, nausea often, but did prevent pregnancy.

December 8, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by Me78:

For Birth Control: 12/14 Love It! I'm 36, have a Toddler and I am done having children. I was on birth control pills for years, but as I'm no longer having children Mirena is a great reversible (if you so choose). My doctor measured my uterus, cut to Mirena to size & Insertion took less than 2 minutes. A quick pinch & it was done. Your doctors skill & your body dictate the pain level, let's face it. I lightly cramped for a couple days afterward from my body acclimating, but otherwise, I have had zero issues. If you are looking for a long term birth control solution, Mirena is Fabulous!

December 5, 2014 8:21 PM

Review by Hjo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I had the Mirena inserted 7 months ago. I took 800 mg of Ibuprofen beforehand and experienced only minor pain upon insertion. I had some mild cramping throughout that day, but afterwards none. I still have fairly regular periods--every month, light bleeding with a little bit of cramping. I was told that after about 6 months my periods would probably disappear, but I'm still waiting for that to happen. No weight gain, acne, or change in mood or libido. I love it! Very satisfied.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 2, 2014 7:56 AM

Review by anonymous1000:

For Birth Control: I used to get cramps so terribly painful that at 24 years old, I was begging my doctors to approve a hysterectomy. This had been an ongoing issue for me. I finally got the Mirena as recommended by a friend and I don't get my period anymore. Only downside is that on rare occasions, I do experience cramping after heavy exercise. I didn't gain weight and no negative side effects to report on really. I would recommend this to every woman.

December 1, 2014 2:45 PM

Review by Jennafuzz:

For Birth Control: I'm 16 and apparently the youngest to get Mirena from all the reviews I have read. I only got it inserted a few days ago. I have never had children, nor have I ever been pregnant. I've also not had much sexual experience, but the procedure was quite quick and really was not that painful. I don't consider my pain tolerance very high but the pain was very bearable. I got it inserted while on my period. During my usual menstruation I get horrible cramps that will even cause me to vomit, but during the procedure the pain wasn't even close to that. I felt pretty much normal walking or of the building, no cramping. I even went horseback riding for 2 hours right after the procedure! I immediately noticed a difference in my period. Love it!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 1, 2014 12:11 AM

Review by Klaudia28:

For Birth Control: I chose Mirena after having my fourth child. I was spotting lightly for 6 weeks and almost wanted to take it out, but I waited and the spotting passed. I had that Mirena for a full five years and only had two periods on it. I removed the Mirena and waited for three months to have it replaced. The insertion was just a tiny pinch, no pain really and lasted about 30 seconds. I had some very light spotting, this second time around, maybe a drop of blood during the first day and no bleeding afterwards to my surprise since. My doctor suggested I will probably not have any periods again. I highly recommend this wonder product. It is a miracle product. I never had any side affects from it.

November 30, 2014 9:51 PM

Review by BurkT (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I had Mirena placed in on September 12,2014. I just had my second child in July 2014 so the insertion was not painful! I liked the concept of having Mirena but now that I have it, I have not stopped bleeding since!!! I can't have sex ever because I am always spotting! It is just annoying!! I am really considering getting it removed! I would much rather have my period once a month then bleed every single day!!

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 26, 2014 11:04 PM

Review by Katie515515:

For Birth Control: I chose Mirena because The Pill became too expensive to buy every month. I was happy to find out my insurance paid for 100% of the costs! I only cramped for about two weeks after, and those were very mild, but I don't have a history of cramps either. I do not have a period anymore (which is great for saving $ on tampons!) although I do still have some symptoms of PMS each month. The only downside I have to say about it is that because Mirena doesn't have the same hormones as The Pill, my acne isn't being regulated like it was before, but it's definitely not unmanageable.

November 26, 2014 10:23 AM

Review by MargoM1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: This device saved my sex life! Sinse insertion (that wasn't that bad) I've not had one thrush infection! I know people say IUDs can make infections worse, but for me it's been a life saver. I have lost weight and my mood and libido have greatly improved. I am 24, no kids and have tried every other Birth Control under the sun (including Implanon) all gave me constant thrush and weight gain! Amazing such a small thing can reap such positive changes!!

November 23, 2014 11:01 AM

Review by 1monthtrial:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I am 22 and had the Mirena inserted last month. I had dysmennorhea that was so bad that for 5 days of my cycle I was bed bound on morphine tablets. My bleeding has always been normal flow and predictable. But painful with many trips to the hospital when my tablets were not effective. During the rest of my cycle I was functioning on codeine tablets. I had tried other methods to control the pain such as the pill which only made it worse and unpredictable. Since having the Mirena fitted, I have been off my painkillers entirely (only taken codeine for a couple of days over the actual period time). The fitting was only uncomfortable with no pain killers. I have spotted nearly every day since fitting but that is welcome in comparison.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate