User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 223 reviews 162 medications

5.9
Summary of Mirena reviews 1332 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "Insertion itself is not very painful, and it's over quickly. The pain I experienced was during the manual dilation, which did make me nearly pass out. The nurse said that was my body's reaction to dilation, and is not uncommon. After 20 minutes or so to recover, I went home. Cramping and spotting for the rest of the day, and occasional cramping for the following week. Cramping was significantly better on days after evening work outs. My partner cannot feel the strings during sex, and I have no idea that the IUD is there. There is no reason for me to believe that I should begin to have more side effects down the road, because a few weeks in all spotting and cramping has subsided."

E Jane April 29, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Honestly, I am still one of the undecided... I have/had dysmenorrhia that lasted a full 7 days each month. My tubes were tied 20 plus years ago. Perhaps it is genetics that I am in the place I am today because my mother went through many of the same symptoms and eventually had a hysterectomy. After discovering a large submucosal fibroid that was removed, I started to experience sharp pain ( which escalated from simple cramps ) when my cycle hit. The Mirena is my last viable option before surgery. It was place a week and a half ago. Within 4 days of its placement and seeing my doctor again because of pelvic pain from the jabs and sticks I felt, I'd lost 2 pounds. More weight is coming off 3 days later but still have pain."

LB1969 (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the mirena feb of 2015 so it's been a little over a year the inserting part wasn't that bad I say a 4. The cramps after about a 6 I bleed for 6 months straight around the third month it was pretty light (panty liner) I broke out on my forehead for about 4 of those months than it went away I have random cramping and Nausea along with pregnancy symptoms ( cravings , nausea bad taste, mood swings ) I also have to wear a panty liner everyday due to more discharge but it colorless and don't have a smell I haven't notice hair loss or nail damage but I do get a light period every month sometimes 5 days some times 8 and it makes my constipated /gasey sometimes I have cravings and sometimes I don't eat cause I feel bloated and full"

Parisgolden April 28, 2016

For Birth Control "Had IUD Mirena inserted last April, 2015, it was excruciating. I bleed for 10 days 1st 3 months & had consent spotting. My periods are dark black blood clots & very few months of heavey red bleeding. There are months I have anywhere to 2/3 periods. I also had extremely bad anxiety/depression, crying fits, gnarly headaches, major cramps and severe mood swings, family hates me/it!!!! I decided to do IUD after Loestrin 24 was disconnected. Am 44 & ever had children. Calling to get it out & back on the pill. I do not recommend this product."

2015 insert April 27, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was leary of getting the Mirena based on poor reciews of continued bleeding, but since the doctor told me "only 5% of women have those issues" I went ahead and had it inserted on Monday of last week. I was cycle day 5 and at the tail end of my period-read my lining should be very thin!!! Mon and Tuesday were great! A little cramping and very mild spotting. Wednesday however the flood gates opened. By Friday if I stood up I could see and feel the blood coming out. This is 100% unacceptable to me. I have emailed my gyn and told her I either want a script for estrogen which supposedly helps stop the bleeding or I want it out NOW. I am not going to wait and see if it regulates in 3 months. This is bs, 5%, right"

SusanL1974 April 25, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I found the mirena great. It wasn't very painful to have put in. It took 6/8 months to settle. For the first month's I had bleeding on and off all month. After 8 months I hadn't any periods. I replaced it with a new coil after 5 years. The only side effects I noticed were ance between 8months and 12 months."

Pinkboh (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 24, 2016

For Birth Control "I was sold with the fact the WAS going to reduce my periods (never happened) I see my period 2 or 3 times in one month, when i'm not on it i have heavy discharge with a strong odor, tired most of the time and gained some weight, not much but some and has been very difficult to loose those pounds. After a year just made an appointment to have it remove."

Gretchel (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 21, 2016

For Birth Control "I had my Mirena inserted 4 years ago, and got it removed today. I got it inserted at 18, and have had no children. Insertion was a 7 on a pain scale of 1-10, and removal was about a 4. For me, the Mirena was a great choice. I almost never got my period, and when I did it was very light, and only lasted about 3 days. It was nice to have a birth control that I didn't have to remember to take. The only downfalls I had being on Mirena was that I almost no sex drive which put a little bit of a strain on my relationship. I have gained weight while over the course of the 4 years but have been able to maintain it, therefore I'm not sure if the Mirena had any effect on that."

lurbanx71 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 19, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Hi, I am on this site looking for information for my niece who is has had an IUD for a couple of years. After reading so many women comment that they tried the IUD because of heavy bleeding, I wanted to share my experience. I had very heavy bleeding and painful periods my whole life. In my forties I discovered a supplement called Cool Cayenne. It is a cayenne pepper capsule sold at health food stores. It helped my periods become lighter and cramping ceased. When I felt my period coming on I started to take one or two capsules and this helped greatly. If you are on an IUD strictly for a heavy period ( and do not need one for birth control), then you should research cayenne and heavy periods/cramps. The brand I took is Solaray."

Lynn Carter April 15, 2016

For Birth Control "Had the Mirena put in last August and had it removed yesterday. The Dr.'so tell you it is the gets better but I don't agree. I bled for weeks on end (like 4-5 at a time), was moody and no longer had any sex drive. I already have 4 kids so will go ahead with a tubal ligation instead. Wasn't a good experience at all."

Lhorem April 14, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Had my Mirena removed after only 3 months. Yes, it did significantly reduce monthly bleeding and cramping, but the negative side effects far outweighed the little positive effects. I am fortunate to live a very good life and have never experienced depression; however during the 3 months I had Mirena I felt very sad and depressed for no reason. I also had zero sex drive all the time - not just certain times of the month. Gained 10 pounds in 3 months while exercising vigorously on a regular basis and eating very healthy foods 1500 calories a day. I know my body very well and I know how to lose weight, but nothing worked this time. Also experienced tingling in my hands and feet. Looking forward to getting my life back after Mirena!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Hi ladies. Just wanted to share this with you and maybe ask several questions. I have Mirena for one month. My period before Mirena was 02.03.2016. After insertion I was bleeding around 4 days. After that I had spotting and then my period on 28.03.2016 ( 7 days- my regular one,before Mirena was 5 days). So, after my period I continued spotting and today I got my period again (13.04.) I didn't know thats possible.Every side effect affected me and I do not know how long I am going to "survive" with this thing in me. I have PMS, my boobs are painful not to mention cramps and ovarian pain...headaches.I am blown up and yes I do have a gooooood appetite these days. All of that obviously affecting my mood. What do you reckon- in or out? Thanks."

Maria J.A. April 13, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Minor bleeding for a few weeks after insitu. After that - none at all. Don't even know where I am in my cycle- no pain or bleeding. Only cost $30 for 5 years! Feel sorry for those who don't have one!"

Miranda Ham April 13, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "My periods have been incredibly irregular. I bleed every time I am sexually active."

Gz0930 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2016

For Birth Control "I tried this because hey, who doesn't love 5 year birth control that you basically forget about? It was absolutely awful. The insertion experience was excruciating for me. I passed out on the table and vomited. I gained 35lbs in 7 months despite counting calories/working out. I had extremely bad anxiety/depression, I would walk into a place and immediately start pouring sweat. I got terrible acne all along my jawline & back. Extremely low sex drive & I was so emotionless I felt like a robot. I was on the IUD for about 7 months then decided I couldn't handle these issues anymore. The removal was easy, I didn't even feel it. Since then I've lost weight, acne cleared up, sweating went away, and I have emotions again. Would not recommend."

Mouse2 April 9, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "WELL 50 pounds gained later next week I finally get my mirena iud removed. Had it in almost a year and did enjoy the care freeness of it and lack of period but gained uncontrollable weight and made me feel so insecure this past year. I know everyone reacts differently to iud's and I was warned by my doctor and the nurse putting it in that weight gain is common but silly me thinking it wouldn't effect me. I would never recommend the mirena to a friend unless they were very active gym members or could use a few extra pounds on their body haha"

blueberrypom (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 8, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Well after I was told I needed mirena for heavy bleeding and being anemic I was scared to death. The reviews of this medication can scare anyone out of trying it. I had my tubes tied 8 years ago and did not need birth control but was told by my obgyn that it was less invasive than an ablasion which I really did want. I decided to give it a go! My OB said not to be scared. That every woman will have different reactions to this! I needed to have day surgery to have this inserted as my cervix was closed up too much to have it put in the office. Well it's been 6 weeks and it's been great. I spotted for 10 days after the procedure and nothing since. I was scared of weight gain, hair loss, and acne but nothing has changed!! Please give it a try!"

Best decision ever! April 7, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had the mirena for over a year. Not all experiences were great but most of the issues that I initially hated have subsided. My boyfriend was getting poked by the string, severe moodswings, hair loss, acne, a month of spotting... I had it all. I was so frustrated! BUT after a year, the string has softened, my face has cleared up, my hair is growing back (I've always had fine hair) and I haven't had any spotting or issues in over 8 months! My mood can still sometimes fluctuate but I've learned how to deal and it's not a problem. Point is, there are a lot of pros about this form of birth control. If you do choose mirena, give it some time for your body to adjust! It can be frustrating but I love the peace of mind and glad I stuck it out"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Got it prescribed to try and stop particularly heavy and long lasting periods. I also suffer from breast pain. The Mirena has stopped my period, which is a good thing, however I still get the severe breast pains and moodiness associated with pre-menstrual time, and have completely lost any sex drive. Also feeling ravenous and putting on weight (two dress sizes in a year)."

LNGWR April 7, 2016

For Birth Control "After having my second child, I developed a few ovarian cysts and endometriosis. My doctor told me I needed birth control. Out of all the options with birth control, the Mirena seemed to be the best option for me. I don't have to remember to take a pill everyday, my periods are light to non-existent, and I'm still baby-free and cyst-free! This is my 5th year using Mirena. I just recently had it replaced (9 days ago). I'm experiencing a few cramps on my left side, and I was spotting this morning, but that's all normal. The removal of the last Mirena was a bit uncomfortable, but that's the only negative thing I have to say about it."

Ashley T. (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 7, 2016

For Birth Control "This has slowed my period down which is what I want. It's nice that if I decide to do anything with my spouse that I don't have to remember anything. I have been having major spotting and some shooting pains. My doc said the pain isn't from this but it started after I got this. I do not like the spotting or pain."

Jess38778 April 6, 2016

For Birth Control "25 year old Caucasian female. I got it in October; healthy weight, normal blood pressure, not on any medication. I have a history of anxiety, but it was under control. Had cramping, painful breasts an irregular bleeding for weeks but I wanted to tough it out. However, around 4 months after insertion I began to have severe anxiety. This spiraled into very high blood pressure, severe heart palpitations, chest tightness, severe panic attacks, severe depression, severe brain fog, joint pain and headaches. I got referrals to a cardiologist and Mirena was dismissed as the reason. After reading reviews I demanded the doctor remove it. It has been 6 days and I see a significant improvement in all of the above -- hopefully positive trend continues"

Emily A. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've had the Mirena for 6 months and I have had bad cramps everyday since it was inserted. I have also either bled and had discharge every day to the point I am anemic. I have had trouble getting the doctor's to take it out, so if you are having similar issues, be an aggressive advocate for yourself. My experience is probably not representative. I have had strong side effects from oral birth control pills, including cramps and bleeding frequently. I also have emotional side effects and fatigue."

MerryB426 April 4, 2016

For Birth Control "About 3 months after having my 3rd, my ob/gyn convinced me to try Mirena. It's been 6 months now and I'm so happy with my decision. I am back to my pre-baby size, my skin cleared up, and my periods are very light- typically lasting 1-2 days. I am still able to breast feed, it did not affect my supply at all. No problems with brittle nails or hair. I have never felt any pain from the threads, neither has my husband. The only annoying thing about the Mirena was the horrible spotting I dealt with for the first 2-3 months. While insertion was uncomfortable, it wasn't painful. I love my Mirena!"

Kath J April 4, 2016

For Birth Control "had the mirena put in 7 days ago. I am 46 years old, didnt want to get my periods anymore, no children. My utererus falls backward so had a general anaesthetic to have it inserted. So far, continual cramps, period pain tablets ease this, 5 days in the spotting has started. Often get pain in left side. Reading all comments, it will be intersting to see if the cramps and bloating go in a couple of weeks and how long the spotting will stay - i will stick it out for a couple of months."

Goodsv April 3, 2016