User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 129 reviews 163 medications

7.1
Summary of Mirena reviews 1017 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I just got my first IUD put in Mar 17/15 and the insertion was pain free because I was frozen but afterword’s was quit painful. I'm 40 with no children. Pain went away after about 6 hours. 1st week I had no spotting but cramps every day. 2nd week got my period, it was a little more painful then normal but then again I have endo so they are always painful and heavy, lasted regular 10 days. Now going into week 5 no bleeding but am still getting cramps every day. I haven’t noticed any mood changes. Hoping the cramping goes away soon. Thanks god for Advil! For the first 2 week I lived in track pants as I couldn’t wear anything tight because it would bring on the cramps. Happy so far as I hated taken the pill so hoping month 2 things get better."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2015

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena inserted at my 6-week postpartum check up in August 2014. The procedure was easy, no worse than any other OB/GYN experience. The first couple of months, my period was abnormal but eventually I had little to no periods at all (which is typical). The only negatives I have about Mirena is that it does hurt sometimes during sex if the intercourse gets a little intense. Also, I am completely convinced that it is the cause of my weight gain. I had lost all of my pregnancy weight and plus some before I had it put in. Since having Mirena, I have gained 40 pounds."

ARenee118 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 16, 2015

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena put in after the pill failed again and my second child was born. It's worry free - also stopped my horrible cramps I used to have and my recurring ovarian cysts. Negative side though, zero sex drive. But I would rather have that than the chance of falling pregnant again."

SAMommy (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 15, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I switched from a Paragard to Mirena and guess what love it more everyday. No cycle, no acne no worries about protection. Yes a little discomfort when inserted but nothing a Tylenol would've cure. Love it"

Tawana908 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have had since September 2014. I am 40 and have had problems with heavy bleeding, frequent periods, painful cramps, and depression during PMS since age 35. This has been great for relief of all my symptoms. Until my doctor mentioned this, I was looking at having a D & C done. I have had no weight gain, actually lost 5 pounds. Some spotting in beginning but very light periods now. No more depression the week before my period. It was a very positive experience for me."

Venus1974 April 14, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've had Mirena in for 4 1/2 months now and I'm still bleeding. I'm going through about 2-3 tampons every 24 hours. I've gone through about 6-7 snaps where it'll stop for a day or two and then it starts right back up. I'm out of town for a few months, but as soon as I get back I'm having it taken out. I haven't gotten pregnant during those snaps, so I guess it's effective if you're willing to spend your life bleeding."

CTM April 14, 2015

For Birth Control "Had Mirena inserted about 4 months ago. Although periods are milder there is spotting frequently throughout the month. Sex drive has decreased dramatically and have gained close to 12 lbs. I feel no discomfort with the Mirena IUD, however am disappointed by the side effects considering at 40 metabolism has already slowed down so this does not help."

newtomirena (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2015

For Birth Control "I was on paragard for a year because of the no hormones,but I couldn't deal with the pain.The cramps were unbareable,and my periods lasted 7 days and were so heavy,Id have to use a super tampon PLUS a large pad .I switched to mirena, hearing the pain was a lot less & could shorten periods. Almost a year later,I haven't gained a pound like I was so afraid of because of hormones.I've even been able to lose a few pounds! My period has also gone from heavy and 7 days long to 3 days and so light I only use panty liners; I don't even buy tampons. Negative parts: Ive gotten a few more zits every time my period comes around after being on mirena & still get horrible cramps, but definitely not as often: 1/2 days instead of weeks at a time. love it!"

Aashley (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 13, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "This was placed in April of 2014. I have had it removed a week ago due to very severe back pain. I also had anxiety, depression and severe headaches. I would rather have the bleeding. My headaches and back pain stopped once it was removed and suspect that the depression and anxiety will also improve now. My MD and OBGYN did not recommend removing it, but I insisted and am glad I did. They were convinced the back pain & headaches was due to something else."

GGMarie April 13, 2015

For Birth Control "I've had my mirena IUD in for about two months and I couldn't be happier. Getting it in was more painful than I expected and I had fairly intense cramping for about twelve hours afterward. By the next day I was at 100% and have had very few side effects. The spotting can be annoying, but my regular period has stopped entirely and my doctor says the spotting will stop soon. I wish I had done it earlier!"

chelbells April 13, 2015

For Birth Control "The pain of insertion was huge and I've had lots going on down there with a few cysts and surgery and stuff and this was the worst. Also, no one tells you about the blood from the insertion itself. There was a lot of blood, all over the place. My doctor said it was normal which I'm sure it was, but there was quite a bit, like the floor and the wall and the bed. I have now been bleeding for over two weeks and have had a lot of cramping. I've felt like shit, bad headaches, tired and everything. Not fun given it's end of school year...I have to agree with someones former remark, it's so effective at birth control because you really just don't want sex and all the blood. My husband has not been happy."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2015

For Birth Control "Got Mirena inserted on 02/04/2015. I'm 30, with no pregnancies. I was on Beyaz for three years and the last few months I was spotting daily. My insurance covered it but only through reimbursement so I didn't have $ to pay for it out-of-pocket. I found a doctor who was part of a federal program where I only paid $175 for the insertion. Insertion felt like a rough Pap. The awful cramps started right after i got up. I bled like a regular period for 3 days and the cramps were the worst I've had in my life. No discomfort during sex. It is now 04/12/2015 and I've had one period where I only had to use pantyliners b/c it's so light. No more cramps. I love this for me but it definitely isn't for everyone. Just make your research ladies!"

Pga1084 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena in a month ago the procedure didn't hurt at all.The first two weeks the only problem I had was dizziness.About a week ago I started bleeding and have not stopped and I am cramping very very bad. I am starting to think I may have to get it removed."

Anonymous April 12, 2015

For Birth Control "I've had the mirena since July of 2014. I got it put it when I was 16. Due to have endometriosis it was the best choice. ultimately it was a huge live saver the pain I had before has gone away. The insertion for me wasn't bad but I made a poor decision to go to varsity cheer practice the next day,bad idea. I don't really ever spot on a very rare occasion. I will though if I'm on a antibiotics , then it tends to mess with my mirena and I'll get cramps and will spot. Other then that it's been a good experience so far."

Sylvie M April 10, 2015

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena placed about a month after delivering baby. I barely even felt it being placed, the nurse seemed surprised by how little I was bothered. Bottom line, don't be scared of what people write, it's totally worth the potential discomfort if it keeps you from getting pregnant."

firsttimemom April 10, 2015

For Birth Control "I am a 37yr old mother of 3. Had my 1st IUD after my 3rd baby in 2003. I cannot express how much I appreciate not having a period anymore. In the past when I had periods I had massive amounts of cramping & insanely grumpy. I'm on my 2nd Mirena and close to time for my 3rd. No doubt painful when put in, but soooo worth it...IMO"

rowdyred (taken for 10 years or more) April 9, 2015

For Birth Control "I absolutely love the Mirena. Afer getting with my lifepartner 8 years ago I opted for the Mirena because he had custody of his two daughters and I had custody of my 2 sons. It has worked great, no periods (unless months up to it being switched), comfortable, and keeps my hormones where they need to be, constant due to my bipolar. I am up for my 3rd round in August and wish I could just do it now. I still use it even though my life partner is cut... just in case! We have enough. LOL Give it a try. I love it!"

craycrayof4 April 8, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "OK if you are considering getting an IUD inserted & are scared,don't be! All of these women are putting out horror stories! I am 23,never had kids, and I've only received a pap once! Insertion is not as painful as everyone says! Yes it hurt, but was it was completely bearable. It was a sharp pain & some pressure for about 2 mins. I got it on on Monday & it's Wednesday & all I can say is I've stopped my terrible bleeding ! I did bleed the first day & have cramps & I'm currently still a bit crampy but I also have stomach issues so I'm more sensitive than most! It's not that bad! Of course getting something inserted in your uterus isn't a day at the park, but its not like you're going to die of pain! Its a few days of not being comfortable for 5 years of worry free BC!"

Renee o April 8, 2015

For Birth Control "I had a great experience with Mirena 3 years already everything going great in the first 2 weeks I felt a little bit uncomfortable and after 5 months my period is gone completely but it doesn't cause me any discomfort I really recommend it"

Langue April 8, 2015

For Birth Control "Finally something that works! I tried 4 different birth controls which caused nothing but problems. I finally switched to Mirena at my doctor's recommendation. Insertion wasn't painful at all. I got the numbing shot and felt absolutely nothing! It was a quick 15 minutes and I was done. I had constant spotting for about 3 weeks which was annoying but the bleeding stopped and now I'm so happy with it! Not having to worry about taking something every day is amazing and I'm very happy I switched!"

BusyCollegeGirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2015

For Birth Control "Mirena is an awesome option for birth control. I don't even have to think about taking a pill or remembering to replace a patch. It was easy to get inserted and it is barely noticeable that it is even there. Mirena has not caused me to have any problems at all. It also has not caused any weight gain like the pill does."

happy with it (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I had mirena put in about 8 months ago. So far it works as far as preventing pregnancy. I have 2 kids. But I bleed every time I have sex and it becomes painful at times to have sex. I spot all the time to and cramp on and off. Don't really like how it makes me feel. But it's the best birth control I've found so far."

shockley91 April 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I think Mirena is a bit of a hit or miss based on comments and personal experience. I had the Cooper IUD for 10 years - no problems and no periods. Then switched to Mirena at doctor's suggestion. No problems with insertion followed by no periods or side effects. When 5 years were up on 2-6-15, I had a new one replaced the same day as old one removed. I still have no periods, but the insertion of this one was excruciating. I broke out in a cold sweat when I tried to get up and had to lie back down another 15 minutes, even after lying there about 15 minutes initially.Now, daily headaches and extreme moodiness. First time, I'd rate 10. This time, not happy. I'm having it removed 4-10-15-will report later if this helps side effects."

DivaG (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 6, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've had the Mirena for 7 years now, the first one was for 5 years and after my 5 years were over i decided to get it again for another 5 years. I got to say that I love it, I don't have to worry about any monthly period. The first time I got it I would spot but nothing compared to having a period. We have to keep in mind that every body is different therefore each one of us will react different. Some of us may experience zero side effects while other may experience 1, 2, 3 it all depends. I have friends that they got pregnant while they had it but never noticed. Remember that also had to do with the Dr. I am very lucky to have an excellent Dr she is great! Overall I give the Mirena a 99.9% I mean nothing is 100%!!!"

Eliaa April 4, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "The mirena is amazing. I've had it in for almost 6 months now. I had some heavy bleeding in the beginning bc I never had a child before and my body naturally pushed the mirena out. I went back to my doctor and they put a new one in and this time its stayed in. After the second placement I had heavy bleeding for the first month. After that I had no bleeding at all. I haven't had my period in 3 and a half months. I do get light period every now and again but its never heavy enough to have to use a pad or tampon. All you need is a panty liner and you'll be good to go. If you have the mirena put in and start bleeding soon after make sure you don't use tampons bc this can likely pull the mirena out and that would hurt. Its amazing!"

angelbaby674 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 4, 2015