User Reviews for Mirena (Page 6)

Learn more about Mirena.

Birth Control 1110 reviews 275 medications

7.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 223 reviews 162 medications

5.9
Summary of Mirena reviews 1333 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I got my IUD in March and I am in LOVE! My gyno was amazing! She prescribed medication to soften my cervix the night before and advised that we insert it while I'm still on a period so that my cervix is as open naturally as possible. I took ibuprofen in the morning before the appointment and right at the worst part she advised me to cough - all of that seemed to keep the discomfort down to a minimum! I had bad period style cramps the rest of the day and took it easy but was up and moving like normal the next day. The only issue I've had is low libido but that could also be related to another issue I was diagnosed with too."

canongirl87 December 30, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena inserted October 21st of 2015. I was 20 at the time & have no children. I got the Mirena since I'm ineligible for permanent birth control. The procedure itself was quite painful but not unbearable it felt like a bad cramp and a pinch. I had taken some pain meds 30 minutes beforehand. The procedure only lasted a few minutes. The cramping I'll admit was quite painful not as bad as my normal cramps. I considered getting it removed but I've heard symptoms of bleeding & cramping can last week's even months. I gave it time & after around 3 weeks the cramping had stopped. But now it works great! Period is slowly fading! I truly have no complaints. As I hear my reaction to cramping was normal!"

ThePrincess333 December 29, 2015

For Birth Control "After six months of using it, I lost my libido. After one year, I took the mirena out and in one day my libido returned. Three months later I detected a lump and it was breast cancer. I am sure the small amount of estrogen created the harmful cancer cells."

Pelicankarla (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 28, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm sure this works well enough for birth control. All the cramping I get from this thing. Waking up in pain several times a night does NOT make for a suitable mood for some physical activity. I'm definitely looking forward to taking this thing back out, even the first day I had my nexplanon hurt less than this."

Miesa December 26, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the mirena placed last Friday and it was excruciatingly painful and I have been bleeding heavily and cramping since. I am thinking of going to the hospital to have it removed as it is the holidays."

Rick&morty December 24, 2015

For Birth Control "I had my first baby in May and in July I had the Mirena put in. It wasn't the most pleasant experience but it was definitely better than childbirth hahaha. I cramped and bled for a few weeks (had my period when I got it inserted). Then monthlyish I got a light period and cramps. This month I have been bleeding for almost 10 days now with cramps. Started with 5 days of nasty colored brown blood, now its super bright red and starting to worry me but I'll wait a while longer. This was an awesome form of birth control for me, no reminders and very little chance of pregnancy. However, I haven't been able to keep a stable weight and I've been a bit down on everything and also have highs and lows with my sex drive. The IUD was also very pricey. $400"

LeahGC (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I've had my mirena for about three years now, and experienced a bit of cramping and spotting within the first 5 months and then it went away! I've loved my IUD ever since, until recently the past week I started feeling really cramped up. I noticed yesterday a tiny bit of rusty coloured discharge, but hardly any, until today when I went to the washroom it got worse, and progressively worse throughout the day. My underwear are completely stained with brown spots and I'm freaking out, somebody please tell me if this is normal!!! Also, my best friend is on her period and I know it's normal for female hormones to sync with each others when they spend enough time together, but still thinking this is a little more serious.... HELLLP?!"

Kr23bb December 20, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I have had mirena now for just over 6 months for adenomyosis and anaemia caused by heavy bleeding. I am 50 and hoping it gets me thru to menopause. I was offered this 15 years ago but kept saying no. But in the end pain and bleeding I gave in and thought I would try before a hysterectomy. I had put in under a general with a d & c performed. Woke no pain at all a bit of spotting for about 6 weeks. Sore breasts first 2 months and mood swings. I have noticed a 1kg weight gain but that's no much. I do tend to gain fluid each month in lower abdominal area when I think I am suppose to have a period. Libido has gone and struggling to orgasm too. Unsure if I like it or not not much other alternative out there. I also are having lots of constipation"

Pollywaffle December 20, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Mirena gave me acne and I have erythema aswell."

Erika12 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had the Mirena for 3 weeks now and I hate it. I am 27, no kids and the insertion was SO painful. They didn't even give me a heads up or anything. For 10 minutes I couldn't even get up off the exam table. I was finally able to hobble home and the pain was so excruciating all I could do was bawl for 6 hours after. For the first 2 days the pain remained. Ever since then I have periodic cramping throughout the day. Some of the cramps are mild and some make me double over. I would guess3-4 cramps every hour that last about 30 seconds each. At first the bleeding was like normal menstrual blood, then it was non-existent, and now its bright red. Every time I cramp I expel a puddle of blood and it even pools in the toilet when I pee."

OwieZowie (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "My Dr. Suggested the IUD after 2 yrs of bleeding issues. I was hesitant because I've always struggled with my weight. I got down to prepregnancy weight after 2 babies and keeping it consistent for 4 yrs. OBGYN swore it would not cause weight gain. I have been on the IUD for 3 yrs. I have gained almost 30lbs, 10lbs a year. At this weight my body hurts and I'm exhausted all the time. The 1st yr and a 10lb gain I started walking it did nothing. 2nd yr I changed my diet in addition to walking nothing. 3rd yr I started going to the gym with a personal trainer I haven't gained anymore just seem to maintain the weight I gained. Sooo depressing. My PCP has highly advised me to have the IUD removed. So I have made an appt."

Anonymous December 17, 2015

For Birth Control "Mirena has been great! I'm going on 5 years in February and have had a wonderful experience. No pain, no cramps, the only bleeding I've had has been spotting and that happens maybe once a year. I am going this February to have my second inserted and from what I have read it appears it may be a painful experience. However, I am optimistic and hope it is as good of an experience as these past 5 years."

ChelCham December 15, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had my Mirena for 4 years and have not had one problem. I haven't had a period since it was put in. I haven't gained any weight and no other problems reported."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 15, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm a 21 year old college student and I recently had my Mirena inserted for the first time. I was terrified from all the reviews I read beforehand, so I felt the need to share my experience. I took 800mg of ibuprofen an hour before I saw my gynocologist, nonetheless the insertion process was like getting a pap smear only much much worse since I've never had my cervix dialated before. Don't let this hinder you from getting it, it only lasted me 1-2 minutes and being worry-free for the next five years is 100% worth the shortlived pain. Had it inserted Friday and by Sunday I was good as new. No pain, no spotting! And it's been this way for the last month :)"

collegestudent94 (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had three kids and had the mirena put in a few days ago, no pain at all with the doctor putting it in , had some bleeding the same day and it has stopped since, but there is some cramping and bloating hopefully it will go away after the 3 months."

Leanne13 December 13, 2015

For Birth Control "Got my first Mirena in 2012 after I had my first child. It was great for the first year, no bleeding no symptoms, perfect! About a year and a month in I started having yeast infections 2-3 times a month every month. I couldn't take it any more so I got it removed. After baby number 2 I figured I'd try it again and that I would take probiotics, eat yogurt and drink plenty of water. It worked. However after only having it in for a month I did bleed for a week but nothing since, but my sex drive is non existent. Me and my boyfriend use to be very sexually active, but no now I've never had this problem. we don't even try anymore and that's depressing."

SmashHit December 12, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had mine inserted on Nov 3rd, and here it is December 10th and I am STILL bleeding. Not enough to warrant a tampon, but enough to be gross, and deter my boyfriend from sex. When the hell is this bleeding going to end? At my one month check up appointment my OB GYN said it was normal to bleed for a couple months. This better stop! After reading some of the shared situations in this post, I am not feeling too confident that it will."

HOTZ December 10, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had Mirena for about 9 months now. I do not use it for birth control as my husband is fixed. :) I use it for bleeding control. I would bleed myself into anemia on my periods. It has stopped that completely. I only spot for a day or two. The side effects I feel is lower sex drive, gained 10lbs, and it was painful to insert with mild cramping. I do get headaches, cramps and sore breasts when I ovulate but that is it. I like it and it has helped the bleeding now I just wish I could get my sex drive back and loose weight. Guess it's time to go to the gym and eat healthy. :)"

ShaniT December 8, 2015

For Birth Control "My first mirena was awesome. After my child was born I bled for months non-stop and cramps were unbearable. Once inserted within 2 weeks the bleeding and cramping ceased to exist!! Getting the mirena only caused mild cramping for a couple hours when it was inserted. I am now going in for my second mirena. I had my 4th child 7months ago and just started getting really bad cramps. It doesn't work for everybody but I know it works perfect for me. The first time I had it in for 3 1/2 years and only removed it because I wanted another child. I love it!"

Anonymous December 7, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had gotten the Mirena at the advice of my gyn after being told that I could not do traditional birth control due to other health conditions. I do not have children. It hurt going in. I have had multiple endometrial biopsies that hurt a lot less. It was put in on 10/15/15 and I have not stopped bleeding since. I think that the bleeding has actually started to steadily started to become heavier. I will be contacting my GYN again on Monday to see about getting it taken out and other options."

hotaunt2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 5, 2015

For Birth Control "I just had my second Mirena inserted after 5 years. Before starting with it, I was always battling low iron (once my ferritin level was 4). After using the Mirena, my period became super-light, and now my ferritin level is over 80. The second time around, the insert was a lot more painful. The doc said that it tends to be more painful as you get older (I'm 46). I really have not had any side effects that I've noticed with the Mirena. Not sure if I'll need it again, since I'll be 51 in five years."

MarchWinds (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 30, 2015

For Birth Control "I had my mirena inserted on July 20th, 2015 and since I haven't had any kids (I'm 18) and wow it was painful. The whole procedure was very quick! I waited longer in the waiting room. The first and second day were horrible, I couldn't do much because of the pain even after I took strong pain killers. After a few days I still had pain but not as much but oh my goodness my first period with it inserted was the worst, really bad cramping and I bled for like 3 weeks. Now after having it for 4 months I occasionally get some random cramps and some times some mild cramps after sex but my period is super light now and I like that part. I am debating whether to get it removed because I have gained weight and my sex drive is just so low now."

judithvane (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 29, 2015

For Birth Control "I was so excited when I learned I was a good candidate for the mirena, after have 2 kiddos 17 months apart I was done for awhile! The initial insertion was a breeze! I didn't hardly feel it and as just a precaution I took some Tylenol and had no issues. That very next month my period was non existent. No cramping or bleeding, I was one happy mommy! Now we are going on a little over 2 years and something is terribly wrong! For the past 6 months I have been spotting (which I haven't had since before insertion?) Intense cramping and killer headaches. I have an appointment scheduled the first of the year and plan to take it out. Yes, the first 2 years were amazing but if this contraception is the cause of how I've felt lately it isn't worth it."

Anonymous November 29, 2015

For Birth Control "DON'T USE THIS PRODUCT. IT IS NOT EFFECTIVE. After my second child I chose to try this option for birth control it was extremely uncomfortable being inserted and after a year and half found out that it had migrated into my stomach and I needed to have surgery to remove. What kind of protection is this? "

MirenaAbust (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 28, 2015

For Birth Control "Just had it inserted today and it was pretty painful. I've been bleeding for a couple months and after a d&c about a week ago it hasn't gotten any better. Mirena is the next step for me to try to stop the bleeding. The insertion for me was just as painful as the endoscopy/histoscopy that I had over a month ago. It was a deep cramp with very specific pressure. I should have taken an ibuprofen beforehand to help. Obviously I have no clue how long it will last and if I'll like it in the long run but I figured I should at least share how I felt about the initial reaction"

Amy2283 November 24, 2015