User Reviews for Mirena (Page 6)

Learn more about Mirena.

Birth Control 1123 reviews 275 medications

7.1
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 233 reviews 162 medications

5.9
Summary of Mirena reviews 1356 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Mirena

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Let's see here...first of all, I wouldn't even give mirena a 1 but 0 isn't an option. I had it for 2 long, excruciating, miserable months to help with my heavy periods. I lost my sex drive completely, bled the entire time. Had terrible back and pelvic pain, mood swings, not stop migraines, extreme hunger, no energy at all, severe depression and if that's not enough anxiety and panic attacks. I would absolutely not recommend this to anyone at all. So terrible. Think twice before you have this placed."

Cb2885 January 20, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had Mirena for going on 4 yr in June and love it! Insertion was quite uncomfortable... But not bad! I never have suffered from bad cramps and continue the same (except 1 night having extreme discomfort.) My boyfriend picked me up from the couch and took me to bed... I was in so much pain.... Constant most horrific cramping... Crying myself to sleep... He wanted to take me to hospital! And I have had 2 kids 1 vag 1 c sec. But I just wanted a dark rm and sleep... Woke up the next day normal! Only bad experience the whole time! Periods have ceased at moment... But usually monthly until 2 months ago pretty normal until stopped! But I do recommend and give 10... Even with the 1 night! Implanon was bad... Constant period!"

Bcoe January 19, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding " My doc thought I would be fine with this with no kids, also selling the idea of almost no period. Insertion wasn't too bad, Xanax and 1000mg of ibuprofen, made it a piece of cake. Barely spotted for 5 days and thought it was amazing. I heavily bled for 63 days straight after those blissful five days. I had debilitating cramps, taking at least 2000mg of ibuprofen a day half the time. Day and night sweats, stress and anxiety out of nowhere, sleepless nights. Since then, I get my period for 9 days, AFTER about 4 days of spotting. Then 2 weeks it starts all over again. I bleed after sex. Turns out it made my body go through pre menopause... At 28 yrs old. Making an appt tomorrow to remove!"

RainyWA January 18, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Had Mirena placed in December of 2014 for endometriosis. Bled 15-20 days out of the month. 9 months after placement started to have severe hip, low back pain and nausea. Had severe PMS and a lot of hair loss. Turns out it perforated my uterus and I had to have emergency surgery. I would not recommend this device to anyone! Horrible experience with it and I wish I never had one placed!"

Katie Hicks January 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had my Mirena placed back in January of 2011 after I had my son. My insertion wasn't bad, but it wasn't terrible either. I didn't have any ill side effects like so many experiences on here. I had normal cycles up until 2013 when my cycle stopped. The only thing I didn't like was it was uncomfortable intimately. It literally left me bent over after intercourse with spotting. I'm scheduled to have mine removed Jan 20 2016. It's been a great form of bc for me outside of intercourse. I'm not planning on getting another one placed unless I decide I've had enough of the shot."

xBrownmamix (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 17, 2016

For Birth Control "Since I got pregnant with my daughter while I was on the pill and then got pregnant with my son well on the depo shot. I decided to take this IUD, it is the worse birth control EVER. I'd rather just get pregnant over and over again, I had weight gain, depression lots of pain. Since getting it out I have been doing 95% better with my depression, I have no pain, I've lost weight with out trying (6pounds) but I have no period for the last 2 1/2 months with no pregnancy and I had a period while I was on this IUD. So don't get it unless you Want a messed up body."

nat153 January 17, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 18, I got pregnant in the Summer of 2015. I lost the baby about a month and a half ago due to Hydrops and I've been doing okay since. My doctor recommended the Mirena IUD and I thought it'd be a good prevention of pregnancy seeing as getting pregnant again probably wouldn't be the best thing for my future and taking a pill everyday didn't seem good seeing as I'm a very forgetful person. The reviews I've read seemed absolutely terrible and I was pretty freaked out but I got the IUD 2 days ago and so far so good. The pain varies from person to person so I can't say it won't be painful, mine just felt like period cramps and then some mild pains after as if they were normal cramps but not terrible; no mood swings. Hoping it works for me."

12mw34 January 17, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got the IUD put in at the end of June 2015. It was a painful insertion! I have endometriosis and was told that this would help lessen the pain and irregular bleeding caused by it. So far, I am debating if I want to get it taken out. I have been having a constant period for the last (almost) 7 months and can barely remember going a whole week without bleeding. I got married in October and was hoping that it would have 'settled in' by then and I would be worry free for my wedding and honeymoon... wrong. I was still bleeding. I am not sure what to do at this point."

KacyM (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena ID for a year and it was the worse mistake of my life. I was lucky that I didn't have developed any cystic anomalies, however I had literally almost all the side effects. I gain 40 pounds, I had acne, I had to use sleeping aids in order to sleep, I have great hair loss, I had zero energy, I had some memory loss at times. The day my doctor pull out this IUD I could felt the difference and I'm doing so much better."

Annabella08 January 15, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was extremely reluctant to getting the Mirena. I was having heavy bleeding for a year. My everyday life was in shambles!!!! I was going to doctor after doctor hoping someone would give me a natural way out!!! Well that didn't happen, after losing clothes,sheets countless underwear, my sanity and a sex life I was desperate for a solution. I finally said yes to my Ob about this method. Needless to say I'm livid I was put on a birth control that side effects are the exact same as the condition I was put on it for!!!! After bleeding off and on for most of a year no one wants to wait another six month's for Mirena to regulate!!!!! I want to please my man, I want to not have to check my pants all day! I'm so depressed."

Lady85 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 13, 2016

For Birth Control "Haven't got period since device was put in (October 2015). I was told that 30% of woman will not get their peroid again....maybe I fall into the 30 percent??"

ValerieAnne (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2016

For Birth Control "I had terrible and heavy periods, bad cramps, passing out, missing 1-2 days of work bimonthly, heavy flow. I read a lot about my options and chose Mirena. First insertion attempt didn't work--we did not know I have a steeply bent and narrow uterus but got scans to figure it out. I took naproxen for 2 days leading up to the procedure both times. It was INCREDIBLY painful both times, nausea, nearly passing out. The second time I was on my period which did help and also got a painkiller injection and was much better. I am now 3 months out and only have 1-2 days of very light bleeding/minor cramps, no weight gain or general discomfort, I'm hoping to end up with no periods at all. I would do it over again 10x, totally worth it for me."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 11, 2016

For Birth Control "Had mirena since March 2015, after my baby. Since then I have had no sex drive and despite all my efforts can't lose weight, starting to think this is the issue, thinking about going to gyn to be removed. I still have horrible cramping and mps. Finally no period but trade off is not good"

Kiki#1717 January 9, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got my mirena inserted in February 2013 and for the first month I bled lots and then that was it. Until September 2015 when I'd start to bleed during intercourse, it wasn't heavy but was enough to worry my partner and myself and its lessened our sex life due to not wanting to bleed everytime. I had a gynecologist observe my cervix in November and he said it wasn't damaged in any way, the mirena was still in place, and he gave me a prescription for a 10 day course of medication that will thicken my cervix lining, just to rule that out as the possible culprit. I haven't gotten the prescription filled yet as I've been busy and the bleeding settled down. Thinking of getting it removed and replaced with another contraceptive."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 8, 2016

For Birth Control "My IUD experience... I had been having really bad pains for about 2 weeks on and off, didn't think much of it just figured it was cramps. Then it started getting worse only lasting 45 min. But the pain was so bad I couldn't even walk! Then I started thinking it had something to do with my IUD that I've only had for about 4 months. A couple days ago I decided to go to the hospital because the pain was so unbearable. I told the Dr all the pain I was having. She said she was going to go talk with another Dr to try to figure out what to test me for. While I was waiting they had me pee in a cup for routine test...like a pregnancy test. They did the pregnancy test in the room with us..we were kind of making fun of it like yea right! No need for that I have an IUD! The nurse looked at me and said...YOU'RE PREGNANT! No way in hell!!! I knew immediately it wasn't good because of the pain and because I had an IUD! They took me for an ultrasound and then told me after that I was having a tubal pregnancy and I would need emergency surgery. What they didn't know is that my tube the baby was in had already burst and I was internally bleeding. They wheeled me down for surgery the last thing I remember is asking the Dr to take out my IUD. It was one of the scariest things that have ever happened to me! How did I get pregnant with an IUD that was in place? I don't understand it, but apparently it happens. All I know is that my IUD didn't do what it was supposed to...I strongly advise against getting this method of birth control! Be careful!"

Nomoreiud (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2016

For Birth Control "I just got my Mirena put in yesterday (Jan.6.2016). it hurt like hell getting it put in. After getting it put in, I bled really hard that same day. I even had a huge blood clot come out of me but the cramps were tolerable. I took extra strength Tylenol and I was fine. Now it's the next day, I'm not bleeding and I feel great. But we'll see.."

Teyonna January 7, 2016

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena inserted after my child was born. He was six weeks old at the time and I was 36. Since then (a year ago), I have gained 12kg's (no change to my diet etc etc), have back and pelvic pains and inflammations all of the time and no sex drive. My marriage is struggling and my moods absolutely horrible. The gyne does not want to remove it as he swears by the Mirena and thinks I am overindulging and just full of nonsense. I feel horrible and bloated and moody 100% of the time. I need some help please."

Button78 January 7, 2016

For Birth Control "I have Mirena for over 6 years. I just replaced new one over a year ago. The 2 plus sides are that it does the job and I have no period. However, I'm changing to copper as recently I have severe mood swing, low sex drive, weight never gone down. So Dr recommend to try none hormone one to see if it will fix the problem."

NoMoreMood January 6, 2016

For Birth Control "The worst experience I ever have. I got pregnant with this thing and it almost kill me It was a ectopic pregnancy, It make me sick I went to the emergency room with a horrible pain, they did a surgery but did not remove the whole baby. It made me suffer for weeks!"

molive January 1, 2016

For Birth Control "I have loved having my Mirena for almost 3 years now. I prefer it to the regular non-hormonal IUD because it greatly reduced (almost diminished) my monthly bleeding. As a health professional (nurse practitioner), I have recommended and inserted this to many women seeking long term forms of birth control. The initial pain /cramping at insertion was helped by the use of ibuprofen before insertion and for 24-48hours after. However! I have gained a lot of weight after inserting my Mirena (which didn't occur when I used the copper IUD - lost 25lbs with that one) So it loses marks for that reason as far as I'm concerned. If you have a tendency to gain weight easily, I'd be careful. I know a lot of women that are happy with it without problems."

CNM80 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had mirena inserted Sept 23 2015. I have given birth full term 7 times, and the discomfort for me was definitely comparative! I wanted mirena so I could have sex without worrying about another pregnancy, but due to bleeding heavily for 3 out of every 4 weeks (to date it is now January 1, 2016) I have not even had sex because of the mess! I even have some spotting during the "week off"!! I always had regular periods with 7 days of heavy bleeding, I'll be happy to go back to that. I haven't gained weight from it, but I fluctuate about 5-8 lbs from week to week. My hair was already thinning, but that seems worse, the texture of my hair is more fragile."

Saradix528 January 1, 2016

For Birth Control "The bleeding got worst while on mirena. Sometimes I would bleeding for 17 days."

2nd time (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got the mirena inserted in September of 2015 is already the end of the year one more day and I'll be 2016 and I'm still bleeding... Is this ever going to end!!!!!!!!! I'm just so annoyed by now when is this going to end."

BloodyMess55 December 30, 2015

For Birth Control "I got my IUD in March and I am in LOVE! My gyno was amazing! She prescribed medication to soften my cervix the night before and advised that we insert it while I'm still on a period so that my cervix is as open naturally as possible. I took ibuprofen in the morning before the appointment and right at the worst part she advised me to cough - all of that seemed to keep the discomfort down to a minimum! I had bad period style cramps the rest of the day and took it easy but was up and moving like normal the next day. The only issue I've had is low libido but that could also be related to another issue I was diagnosed with too."

canongirl87 December 30, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena inserted October 21st of 2015. I was 20 at the time & have no children. I got the Mirena since I'm ineligible for permanent birth control. The procedure itself was quite painful but not unbearable it felt like a bad cramp and a pinch. I had taken some pain meds 30 minutes beforehand. The procedure only lasted a few minutes. The cramping I'll admit was quite painful not as bad as my normal cramps. I considered getting it removed but I've heard symptoms of bleeding & cramping can last week's even months. I gave it time & after around 3 weeks the cramping had stopped. But now it works great! Period is slowly fading! I truly have no complaints. As I hear my reaction to cramping was normal!"

ThePrincess333 December 29, 2015