User Reviews for Mirena

7.4
Summary of Mirena reviews 805 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Mirena

Review by KKS1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had the Mirena put in 9/4/13. It is 11/5/13 & I have not had 1 single day w/out bleeding!! This is so effective at birth control because you cant possibly have sex with all the bleeding it causes!! i am 38, of average weight and had it inserted for birth control, not to treat any other symptom. For me, getting it inserted was mildly uncomfortable, was over quickly. I was able to go running that same day...so I wasnt uncomfortable at all. I did take 800mg of ibuprofen before the appointment. The first 2 weeks I broke out with really nasty acne along my jawline. I think my hair has thinned. I have also experienced Migraine w/aura :-( My Mirena has until Jan., if this hasnt fixed itself, its coming out.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2013 12:00 PM

Review by Lolo123:

For Birth Control: I have had my Mirena in for 21/2 weeks. Before that I was on the pill for many years. I am 36 and have had 2 kids by C-section. My periods have been heavier since I had kids and I don't want to have any more. I also have slightly high blood pressure. Doc suggested we do Mirena because it is used to treat heavy periods, has no estrogen (which can contribute to high blood pressure) and circulates progesterone only in the uterus rather than systemically. The insertion was...um...awful, but quick. After that, just some cramping for the rest of the day and light spotting. I few days later I actually woke up with a sex drive!! Haven't had a period yet, but still have occasional cramps. Over all, has been a good choice so far.

November 3, 2013 5:26 PM

Review by Lexi.Wickerton93:

For Birth Control: I had the mirena inserted on Friday (it's been two days). It is very different for every woman as my doctor told me but this was my experience: They will take measurements first which is often a bit worse than the actual insertion. My experience, overall, was not bad. I had some pretty intense cramping, had to take really deep breaths, and remember it is only going to last a few seconds. Once it was done, I felt a little shakey and a little dizzy. The first night was uncomfortable, but I woke up the next day feeling much better and now I barely have any cramps at all. The important thing my doctor told me is to give your body a chance to get used to it. So far I am looking forward to not having to pop a pill every day!

November 3, 2013 11:42 AM

Review by miakim (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: It was extremely painful getting this put in. I've had pain and cramps since on and off. Sex hurt at the beginning. Not so much now. My periods last for 2 weeks and I get another one 2 weeks after that.

November 2, 2013 11:15 AM

Review by Jean Sue (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: This is Jean's husband. Jean had this device inserted many years ago. She was NEVER informed of its risks or how long until it should be removed. She has had severe cramps for years. We (I) have informed every doctor and emergency rooms she has gone to as to the divide. They all ignored the info. Yesterday she was taken to the hospital. She had severe chest pains. All cardio tests came back negative. Today they transferred her to ICU because her temperature kept spiking. They did blood work and found out she has massive infection running through her body. She is bagged and they are flushing her system to try and get rid of the infection. An OBYGN came in and tried to find the 'string' to remove this contraption. I will know more soon.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 31, 2013 6:33 PM

Review by mother0ftw0:

For Birth Control: Only form of birth control that worked for me. Convenient because I didn't have to worry about taking my pill or making appointment for the shot. I am pleased with this product.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 28, 2013 5:20 PM

Review by Xomikki (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've had m ine on for going on two months now and I love it. I was under the impression this little price of wonderful would be the worst decision of my life and to be honest, its not. Of course insertion hurt like a female dog, but that's to be expected. (I'm 18, never gave been pregnant by the way.) That first day- and that first few- stunk. But I found walking seemed to help. My next period was pretty heavy but lasted only 4 days and it was far better than my periods prior; which only happened maybe 4 times a year and when they did I thought I was dying. I lightly speed and gained like 6 pounds but In that aspect, mine is great. I cramp lightly now and that's a miracle in and of itself. My partner hardly notices the stings too. ;]

October 28, 2013 8:12 AM

Review by NewGirlMirena (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I just had the Mirena inserted and although there were about two 30second moments of intense cramping it wasn't that painful at all. I think there are a lot of misleading experiences on the Web. Just remember that those who have had a very bad experience with a product are more likely to report it. Experiences are different for everyone. There will be a feeling of having pms cramps for awhile afterwards, so a heating pad + Aleve has been my best friends, and it is really manageable. Plus it is good for 5 years! I am very pleased with this. I had to change because I developed a deep vein thrombosis on a long flight and was no longer allowed to take estrogen. I liked the pill too though, except for that experience.

October 26, 2013 1:40 PM

Review by Newmomma2013:

For Birth Control: I am married and just 2 months ago had a baby girl. I wanted a way to wait a good amount of time without being worried about taking a pill or getting pregnant. When I had this done I took 2 tylonol before I went in and IT DID NOT HURT ONE BIT. I went when I was on my period so this way my cervix would be slightly opened. All I've experience is a bit of cramps and some back pain. My period stop right when it was put in, I was amazed. I love this type of birth control and my husband doesn't feel it so it's perfect.

October 26, 2013 12:52 PM

Review by jengigiff (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I had the mirena IUD for 4 and a half years before my husband and I decided to have a baby. I loved the Mirena. I had initial spotting when i first got it put in and pretty bad cramping for a week, which was expected. After that, all was a breeze. I had a regular period every month (and by that, I mean I had my period the same time, the flow was substantially lighter). The effectiveness was wonderful, as my husband and I didnt use any other kind of birth control and I did not get pregnant. I just got it removed today and I know to expect spotting and a pretty heavy flow for the next few days, but I love the fact that it is possible for me to get pregnant right away. I intend to use Mirena again in the future.

October 25, 2013 9:36 PM

Review by cinnamon middleton (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I got the Mirena about 3 weeks ago, I'm 21 and have 2 children. The ob told my husband that he would feel the strings and no intercourse for 2 weeks. Well the bleeding has been nonstop, slightly heavy. I'm not really sure if I like it or not. My ob, by her own choice had to numb me and give me a shot for pain right before I had it inserted. I'm not really sure if this is normal. I have acne now haven't had it since I was 18, I've gained weight and I get sleepy very easily now.

October 24, 2013 12:08 AM

Review by AmandaW88:

For Birth Control: The first 6 months were amazing! No period, and only minor cramps when I exercised vigorously. Then I noticed my hair started thinning out and I was getting really bad acne. I finally got it taken out a little after having it for a year and am still having acne problems, and my hair still seems to be falling out. Hopefully it doesn't take long to get back to normal

October 20, 2013 11:58 PM

Review by Bc8908 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I had my Mirena inserted this morning. I was not on my period, was not prescribed any medication to dilate my cervix, and have never had children. It is now 11:00 am and the device was inserted at 9:15 am. I am feeling fine and cramping less than when I am on my period. As far as the insertion goes, my doctor told me there would be a pinch and then a big cramp. The pinch lasted longer than I expected, maybe 90 seconds, but was not at all unbearable. When she told me the big cramp was coming she was not kidding. I felt a deep heavy cramp for about 30 seconds. I held my breath.

October 18, 2013 12:10 PM

Review by Cheesemonger:

For Birth Control: Got my Mirena put in yesterday and it was incredibly painful. I was worried that my pain was abnormal, so I wanted others to know this is not abnormal. With the amount of pain I had, I felt like it could be perforation. It was not. For some people, especially those with endometriosis like me, the insertion/day can be. But think of it like 5 years worth of periods on one day and it's worth it. Mirena can help endometriosis so much!

October 16, 2013 9:49 AM

Review by Alimr:

For Birth Control: I have had a Mirena for a little over a month now. I was very scared about it after reading negative stories online. However, my experience with Mirena has been mostly positive. This past month I have had off and on light bleeding, my actual period lasted a couple days and was way lighter than I am used to. My acne has improved a great deal (which is a huge positive). My partner can't feel the strings. I did experience some occasional cramps, especially the first couple days after insertion (For Your Information insertion pain was minimal). So glad it's working out because I paid hundreds of dollars out of pocket, since my insurance didn't cover it.

October 15, 2013 11:29 PM

Review by verlaine:

For Birth Control: I recently had my second Mirena inserted. I had my first one for 6 years. I had a little bit of spotting for the last year or so, perhaps due to the hormones reducing. I had gained almost 60 pounds since my first insertion. But it was gradual and I never attributed it to the Mirena. I recently went on a low carb diet...started exercising and voila, 40lbs lost in a 3 month period! I guess it wasn't the Mirena after all. When I got my second one inserted I gained 5 lbs of water overnight and bloated something fierce. I began to worry, what if I start to gain again? Well I gave it 2 weeks I'm down on the scale lower than ever! I'm a happy Mirena user.

October 13, 2013 10:12 AM

Review by A1ds45:

For Birth Control: I had a bit of pain with insertion (I did it at the wrong time of the month in order to get it covered by insurance), but after that it has been wonderful. I had spotting instead of periods for the first few months, and then my periods stopped completely. I have had it for a little over two years and no longer have any bleeding or cramping from periods. I am extremely happy I chose to get it.

October 6, 2013 10:36 AM

Review by keniid:

For Birth Control: Mirena has been good for me. When I got it in I cramped for the first hour, and then I didn't feel much after that throughout the first week. Mirena has cleared my face from acne, I lost 12 pounds, and has stopped my period completely. I haven't had a baby before so my doctor gave me something to dilate my cervix, I took a Tylenol extra strength thirty minutes before, and the insertion felt only like bad cramping. I always used to forget to take my birth control pills even with an alarm. Mirena is one of the greatest things I've done. It works so well. The only thing I would say is a downfall about the Mirena is that I am a little more emotional now.

October 5, 2013 12:20 PM

For Birth Control: I'm on my second Mirena, I got my first one at 17, and just got my second one two weeks ago. I am having at little more cramping with this one that I didn't experience with the first one. I had a wonderful doctor who gave me the medication that helps dilate your cervix if you haven't given birth. I love the Mirena I recommend it to anyone! I highly recommend taking Tylenol before hand.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2013 4:03 PM

Review by Mickey8325:

For Birth Control: I am on my 2nd Mirena. The first insertion was similar to a pap, very little pain. I had no noticeable side effects, and everything went well. After 5 years, I had my new Mirena placed. The removal was much more painful than the insertion, but well worth it. Definitely take some Motrin ahead of time! I really haven't noticed anything different this time around. I have noticed mild breakouts and more discharge, but other than that it's great. I have not had a period or spotting since February of 2008! I had it placed in October of 2007 initially. Definitely recommend!

September 26, 2013 4:11 PM

Review by xrachelx:

For Birth Control: Having read all the reviews here I nearly cancelled my appointment to have Mirena fitted, I was terrified not having a high pain threshold. Anyway decided to go and have a chat with the doctor first, I took 500mg of naproxen an hour before my appointment. My description of it is this ... to start with it feels just like a smear, then slight stomach cramps (not as bad as my usual period pains) then another bit of cramping then done. I was so shocked at how quick it took and how little it hurt, I really was expecting to be in a lot of pain.....now 2-3 hrs later I've got no bleeding and a bit of a dull ache like a period pain. I'm really glad I plucked up the courage to go, it was no where near as bad as I was expecting.

September 23, 2013 12:11 PM

Review by Ali6257:

For Birth Control: I have only had it in for a couple weeks but so far I have loved it. Insertion was not bad at all (I know this depends a lot on the person). It just felt like very minor cramping for about a minute. I got it in during my period, which is supposed to make it hurt less. After insertion, there was mild to moderate cramping but went away with ibuprofen. I have had occasional spotting. Sex drive is the same. I have noticed that I have to go to the bathroom significantly more often. But that's the only real complaint I have. Was on the pill before and this is has been so much of a better experience. It was expensive but over the 5 years, it'll be worth it.

September 22, 2013 1:34 AM

Review by KimH1010:

For Birth Control: I got Mirena put in Feb 2013, and now having for 8 months. I was never on any kind of birth control before, and I have one child. I had it put in at the time of period, which my ob/gyn preferred. During insertion, the pain was horrible and I had cramps the rest of the day. I spotted for about 3 1/2 months straight. This last month I have really noticed that I haven't had a period, I had some spotting for about 3 days. I'm guessing its tapering off. I haven't had any abnormal acne or mood swings. I do feel like I'm more sexually active.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 12, 2013 2:45 PM

Review by Alyssalee:

For Birth Control: Insertion was painful. I was bloated for a month. But, I didn't bleed at all and then everything was fine after a month. I love Mirena. No side effects. You cannot get pregnant. You don't need to get Plan B. It is a miracle for me. I'm getting a new one put in because my boyfriend felt like the strings were razors so my doctor is putting a new one in with long strings because mine were cut. Also, if you want to get pregnant just have it removed and within 2 weeks you can get pregnant. I would rate this an 11/10.

September 12, 2013 10:05 AM

Review by thecoralfang:

For Birth Control: I knew going into it that the Mirena device was going to hurt, but being that I have a very high pain tolerance and have gotten used to lots of uterine pain (I've had really heavy periods accompanied by intense cramping since I was nine), I really didn't think it would be all that bad. I was wrong! I'm so glad I had my fiance drive me and pick me up to the actual insertion appointment; after I got it, the doctor asked me to sit up and I almost fainted. My blood pressure dropped and I thought I'd be sick. It hurt a whole lot whenever I sat or bent over for the first week and a half to the point where I thought something was wrong and kept checking the strings to make sure it hadn't perforated. It works well and I love it now.. but the initial pain is BAD.

September 7, 2013 2:52 PM