User Reviews for Mirena

7.3
Summary of Mirena reviews 766 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Mirena

Review by Brebre13:

For Birth Control: I'm 18 with no children and had Mirena inserted about 3 weeks ago. The procedure was pretty painful for me but it went quick and no tears so I got through that. I got right up and continued on the cramping, started instantly and was pretty intense, so I took something for it and called it a day early. I got the Mirena inserted for regulation of my period, and because I'm leaving for college and am aware that my schedule will get hectic so I wanted new source of birth control (I've been on the pill since 12/13 yrs old) . I haven't had any other symptoms besides cramping. I rarely cramped before so this cramping to me is intense. They usually aren't continuous cramps, in and out something like a spasm.

June 14, 2013 12:33 PM

For Birth Control: I've had Mirena for a little over a year and absolutely love it. I'm in my early 20s and was hesitant to start other forms of birth control because it is hard for me to remember to take pills and I was worried about the weight gain. I've had no weight gain on Mirena and no extremely noticeable side effects. It was slightly painful to get inserted and I bled lightly for a few months afterwards but once that stopped it's been great. I tend to have spotting or a light period for one or two days every couple months but that's it. It's great and so convenient.

June 11, 2013 11:52 PM

Review by Heso (taken for less than 1 month):

After deciding on having the Mirena procedure and reading so many other people's reviews before having it done, I was totally confused. After suffering from extremely heavy periods for many years I decided to see my doctor who referred me to the gynecologist at the local public hospital. After discovering that I have had four children all through c-section, he suggested maybe having a local anesthetic. I booked in for the procedure three weeks later and got a different gyneocologist who examined me and said I wouldn't need the local anesthetic. He was right. The procedure from start to finish took between 1-2 minutes and was completely painless & free. The best way to describe the procedure is it's just like having a pap smear.

June 10, 2013 10:42 PM

Review by MorganLea:

For Birth Control: I am 21 and have not had children yet. My husband and I thought Mirena was a good idea because we want to wait a few years to conceive since I am in college still, and we want to be more settled before we start trying. Well I was nervous about the procedure, which was pretty painful but all I said was woah! No tears or anything so it wasn't THAT bad. However, since I have had Mirena (4 months) I have had heavy cramping (like if I stand up I get lightheaded and the pain is almost unbearable) and unpredictable periods with light to really, really heavy bleeding. I am going to give it 2 more months, however my husband is seriously encouraging me to have it taken out since he hates seeing me in intense pain regularly.

May 22, 2013 2:08 PM

Review by Kawasaki girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I have not had a single bad experience thus far with Mirena. I had it inserted about 10 months ago right after work. The whole "procedure," start to finish, took about 15 minutes, and was only slightly painful. It was done by a nurse practitioner, who was reportedly more experienced than any of the other physicians at the practice. Another ten minutes to catch my breath and I rode my motorcycle home with no issues. I am in my early 20s and have never given birth. My periods immediately lightened up until they became virtually non-existent. Very little cramping, easily taken care of by ibuprofen. I can still maintain my intense work-out schedule, lifting, cardio, abs, stretching included, with no fear of dislodging.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 22, 2013 1:40 PM

Review by Nikki1418150810:

For Birth Control: I had the Mirena for 5 years. It was awesome. Light periods, only had to use panty liners for a couple days. I had it taken out after the 5 years were up and within 5 weeks I found out I was pregnant! (Which was my intention) doctors do recommend letting your body have a few normal periods after removal if you are trying to get pregnant. Nearly miscarried 3 times with severe bleeding and had pre-eclampsia but don't think that had anything to do with the Mirena.

May 21, 2013 9:06 PM

Review by Aly234:

For Birth Control: I got the mirena in yesterday and it was a breeze. The docs wanted me to do Skyla because its smaller, (but I wanted longer protection). I haven't had a child, and I've actually had more pain during a pap smear with a nurse. Trick is to find a doctor that has done hundreds of intrauterine device procedures. My doctor has done over 1,000 and the whole thing took less than 2 min and caused little to no cramping! I was so scared that it was going to make me scream but I didn't make a peep. So far so good. I expect to buy some Proactive and be extra mindful of carbohydrate intake so I don't gain weight.

May 17, 2013 10:48 AM

Review by Anon40:

For Birth Control: I am a 40 year old, who has never given birth and I had the Mirena placed 3 months ago, to try to alleviate very heavy menstrual bleeding. The insertion was quite painful, but only lasted a few hours. I did bleed for about a week afterwards. I've had my period every month since, but I do not need to use tampons. Am hoping that within the next 2-3 months, it will get even lighter. I still have some cramping, but nothing compared to before the insertion. I have read lots of comments with bad experiences, but I guess this is not for everyone.

May 16, 2013 6:35 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I had the Mirena removed today after 4 years. I have had stomach pains forever and kept going to the doctor saying something was wrong. They did test after test and found nothing. I was convinced that it was the Mirena, then my doctor asked me if they put it in when I was on a cycle and I said no so she was determined it was the Mirena as well because they are supposed to put it in on a cycle. I loved that I didn't break out and my periods were light but I couldn't take the stomach pain anymore.

May 7, 2013 12:50 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: LOVE LOVE LOVE Mirena! I was on the pill for 6 years, which killed my sex drive. And after a while started giving me migraines, which became more and more frequent with time. Now with Mirena I am migraine-free! So nice not having to worry about either migraines OR taking a pill everyday since I am a busy medical student working crazy hours in the hospital. I knew it was time to switch and I'm so glad I did!

May 7, 2013 10:43 AM

Review by Britt (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I was really frightened to get Mirena after reading some of the awful reviews. However, it has been a good experience so far. I have had it for about a week. I was told about the spotting and I have only had a little one day. I had absolutely no stomach cramping after a couple of hours after it was put in, but you must take about 5 Aleve before and after. The worst part was when they put it in. It wasn't bad until they dilated my cervix, and let me say, if that's what childbirth feels like, I'm scared. That lasted for about 45 seconds and then was over. Overall, I've had a pretty good experience. Everyone is different, but I am amazed at how little side effects I've had.

May 6, 2013 1:25 PM

Review by GardenGirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I am a 47 year old female. I tried the birth control pill and it raised my blood pressure too high. My GYN suggested Mirena. I read the reviews and warnings and was nervous but agreed. It has been over 6 months and here is my take; 1. Having it put in was ridiculously easy and not worth any concern 2. Very pleased with not worrying about pregnancy. 3. Periods are normal but extremely light. 4. Some cramping after sex - some light bleeding after sex. No biggy. 5. Had to have the strings cut shorter for my partner - he cannot even notice it now. 6. The only downside I have had is an increase in acne AND on the days I get my period I am very moody (I never had this before so I know it is a side effect). 7. Cost 100.00

May 6, 2013 5:45 AM

Review by Brittany89:

For Birth Control: I am 23, and I have had Mirena for the past 5 yrs. It was placed in a month after my son was born and I now have gotten it removed and a new one inserted! I LOVED it the first time I occasionally spotted but rarely more than 1 day. The reinsertion was a different discomfort then what I experienced the 1st time. I have had A LOT of cramping, even in my legs. Hopefully it doesn't last.

April 16, 2013 10:44 PM

Review by Anonymous 887:

For Birth Control: I have had Mirena twice. The first time was after my 2nd child. During the insertion I had 2 small cramps that did not last long. When it was all done I had no cramping and no bleeding for a year. I had it removed because I was going to try and be a surrogate for my aunt. Sadly it didn't happen. But I was blessed with my very own baby boy later on. I had Mirena inserted again after my son's birth. This time I had a little more cramping during the procedure. Afterwards I bled heavy for 10 days with mild cramping. I had a week of nothing than another 10 days of random bleeding. Now it's been about 3 months since the procedure and I have not had any bleeding but I do get lots of cramps and I am having a hard time losing weight.

April 16, 2013 10:13 AM

Review by joela (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I had a Mirena placed 2 years ago for heavy periods. I was 38 at the time, and it had been 16 years since my last child. The doctor said it can maybe more painful, the longer you wait after having children, However, I had no pain with insertion. I had some cramping for a few days, as well as spotting, after 6 months, my period stopped completely. I have NO issues with Mirena, from extremely heavy periods to none and I didn't have to get a hysterectomy I would recommend it.

April 15, 2013 4:39 PM

Review by Aiydan's Mom (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I just got my mirena inserted yesterday and so far I feel fine. I am 20, and I have a son. The insertion wasn't very painful, though the cramps afterward were a little uncomfortable (nothing that some ibuprofen can't fix). My husband and I haven't had sex yet so I don't know if it'll affect us yet. Still bleeding a little, but nothing serious. I don't know if this review was helpful, but I'll definitely give an update within the next 6 months.

April 3, 2013 7:26 PM

Review by MB-First Months Experience (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I was lucky, and was having another procedure done at the same time, so I was under anesthesia when they inserted mine, and I didn't experience the pain of insertion that some have described. My body is confused though, because I was supposed to start my period the week after, and I had just had a D&C for a biopsy, (Which was benign, yay!) So my body tried to have a period, I experienced intense angry mood swings. I saw others had experienced that on Mirena. Very little bleeding, a little more intense cramping, but Advil took care of it. Mood swings passed after first couple of days, now I am back to normal. You can feel the string if you search for it in there, but my partner doesn't notice it during intercourse. I will update in 6mths.

March 21, 2013 2:40 PM

Review by MsLisa33 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: I am 47 years old...I had my Mirena removed today after 5yrs. The removal was easy & painless. I had a really good experience with this method of Birth Control. However my sex drive was very low and I experienced minor contractions (that's what I call them) they were more intense than cramps, nothing that a couple of Motrin couldn't handle. After the second year my period completely stopped, I still had PMS but no bleeding for the next 3 yrs. I'm taking a break trying the pill again for 3 months any problems I will not hesitate to have another Mirena inserted.

March 19, 2013 3:48 PM

Review by Rissy09:

For Birth Control: Last August I had the Mirena instered. I was 20 at the time and knew that I did not want any children for the next 5 years. I was really nervous about getting the Mirena because I've never had any children before and heard that the pain was awful. The GYN doctor that I was seeing prescribed me Misoprostol to insert into the vagina to soften the cervix. I also took some Ibuprofen an hour before the procedure. During the procedure I did have A LOT of pain, (as expected), but nothing that was not bearable. I experienced a lot of cramping pain during the dilation and insertion of the procedure and also 2 days after the procedure. I love the Mirena now and no longer have a menstrual cycle or cramping. I've not had any complications so far!

March 19, 2013 11:31 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I am 18 years old and do not have kids. I got Mirena inserted last week. The insertion itself was not that bad, just a bit of discomfort, it was like 3 pinches. When it was over, the doctor asked me how I was feeling, and I felt fine so he let me get up to get dressed. When I came back in the room, I almost passed out and thought I was going to throw up. The nurse got me lying down on the bed again and these feelings went away. The cramping started at this time. I cramped that day, which was manageable with 2 Midol%u2019s and 2 Advil (which was a great combination for this procedure). For the next few days I would get a cramp once a day, no big deal. I haven%u2019t been spotting at all, just a tiny bit right after the insertion.

March 18, 2013 9:08 AM

Review by TRMmommyX3:

For Birth Control: I got the Mirena in August of 2012 after having our 3 little blessing since then I've had weird periods one month, I bleed almost a month then wouldn't have one for 2 months and when I did have a period it lasted over 10 days. The past few months I bleed after intercourse and is very painful afterwards and hubby doesn't understand why I don't want to anymore. Also sharp constant pains in my lower abdominal area.

March 10, 2013 2:07 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I have had a very positive experience over the last almost 5 years. I am 26 with NO children. Yes the insertion is uncomfortable, but only for a minute or so, just a couple of cramps. My doctor gave me Misoprostol (softens the cervix) to take the night before and morning of the insert. I also started ibuprofen 600 mg every 6 hours starting the day before. I had minimal spotting and cramping after. And for the last almost 5 years I have very little cramping, no periods, no mood swings and pain with intercourse only 2 or 3 times. I plan on getting another one and recommend Mirena to everyone!

March 6, 2013 7:03 PM

Review by M. Arlean:

For Birth Control: I got Mirena over 6 months ago it has been a rollercoaster. My periods haven't stopped they've become worse. I bleed for 8-10 days straight. Last month I had 2 periods. . I am hoping it will get better. My Dr gave me birth control pills today to help steady my periods. .. So far it's not going well but I will give it another 2 months in hopes it will get better!

March 6, 2013 5:06 PM

Review by mama11 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: I had Mirena twice. The first time I was thinking on getting it out because it hurt when I had sex and when it fell out I decided to get another one put in. It's been in since Dec. 11 and I don't feel it anymore, little to no period and no more pain during sex. My breakouts are clearing up little by little and sex drive has NOT been affected.

March 5, 2013 2:03 AM

Review by Angel1986:

For Birth Control: I'm 26 and had it inserted in Nov last year. The procedure was not painful but afterwards I had some cramping, but nothing I couldn't deal with. The first 6 weeks I had constant spotting and swelling. It got to a point where I had to go and get a sonar done, to find out whether it has moved (I went for a few jogs afterwards). Well it didn't move at all. My husband does not even realize that I have it in. But my weight has been my biggest issue. I gained weight and I have been exercising more and eating healthier and my weight does not decrease. Whether it is the Mirena or maybe something else, I cannot be sure. But it started after the Mirena was inserted. My mood swings are so much better and I just decided to even exercise harder.

February 27, 2013 8:28 PM