User Reviews for Mirena

7.3
Summary of Mirena reviews 758 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Mirena

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I had the Mirena removed today after 4 years. I have had stomach pains forever and kept going to the doctor saying something was wrong. They did test after test and found nothing. I was convinced that it was the Mirena, then my doctor asked me if they put it in when I was on a cycle and I said no so she was determined it was the Mirena as well because they are supposed to put it in on a cycle. I loved that I didn't break out and my periods were light but I couldn't take the stomach pain anymore.

May 7, 2013 12:50 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: LOVE LOVE LOVE Mirena! I was on the pill for 6 years, which killed my sex drive. And after a while started giving me migraines, which became more and more frequent with time. Now with Mirena I am migraine-free! So nice not having to worry about either migraines OR taking a pill everyday since I am a busy medical student working crazy hours in the hospital. I knew it was time to switch and I'm so glad I did!

May 7, 2013 10:43 AM

Review by Britt (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I was really frightened to get Mirena after reading some of the awful reviews. However, it has been a good experience so far. I have had it for about a week. I was told about the spotting and I have only had a little one day. I had absolutely no stomach cramping after a couple of hours after it was put in, but you must take about 5 Aleve before and after. The worst part was when they put it in. It wasn't bad until they dilated my cervix, and let me say, if that's what childbirth feels like, I'm scared. That lasted for about 45 seconds and then was over. Overall, I've had a pretty good experience. Everyone is different, but I am amazed at how little side effects I've had.

May 6, 2013 1:25 PM

Review by GardenGirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I am a 47 year old female. I tried the birth control pill and it raised my blood pressure too high. My GYN suggested Mirena. I read the reviews and warnings and was nervous but agreed. It has been over 6 months and here is my take; 1. Having it put in was ridiculously easy and not worth any concern 2. Very pleased with not worrying about pregnancy. 3. Periods are normal but extremely light. 4. Some cramping after sex - some light bleeding after sex. No biggy. 5. Had to have the strings cut shorter for my partner - he cannot even notice it now. 6. The only downside I have had is an increase in acne AND on the days I get my period I am very moody (I never had this before so I know it is a side effect). 7. Cost 100.00

May 6, 2013 5:45 AM

Review by Brittany89:

For Birth Control: I am 23, and I have had Mirena for the past 5 yrs. It was placed in a month after my son was born and I now have gotten it removed and a new one inserted! I LOVED it the first time I occasionally spotted but rarely more than 1 day. The reinsertion was a different discomfort then what I experienced the 1st time. I have had A LOT of cramping, even in my legs. Hopefully it doesn't last.

April 16, 2013 10:44 PM

Review by Anonymous 887:

For Birth Control: I have had Mirena twice. The first time was after my 2nd child. During the insertion I had 2 small cramps that did not last long. When it was all done I had no cramping and no bleeding for a year. I had it removed because I was going to try and be a surrogate for my aunt. Sadly it didn't happen. But I was blessed with my very own baby boy later on. I had Mirena inserted again after my son's birth. This time I had a little more cramping during the procedure. Afterwards I bled heavy for 10 days with mild cramping. I had a week of nothing than another 10 days of random bleeding. Now it's been about 3 months since the procedure and I have not had any bleeding but I do get lots of cramps and I am having a hard time losing weight.

April 16, 2013 10:13 AM

Review by joela (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I had a Mirena placed 2 years ago for heavy periods. I was 38 at the time, and it had been 16 years since my last child. The doctor said it can maybe more painful, the longer you wait after having children, However, I had no pain with insertion. I had some cramping for a few days, as well as spotting, after 6 months, my period stopped completely. I have NO issues with Mirena, from extremely heavy periods to none and I didn't have to get a hysterectomy I would recommend it.

April 15, 2013 4:39 PM

Review by Aiydan's Mom (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I just got my mirena inserted yesterday and so far I feel fine. I am 20, and I have a son. The insertion wasn't very painful, though the cramps afterward were a little uncomfortable (nothing that some ibuprofen can't fix). My husband and I haven't had sex yet so I don't know if it'll affect us yet. Still bleeding a little, but nothing serious. I don't know if this review was helpful, but I'll definitely give an update within the next 6 months.

April 3, 2013 7:26 PM

Review by MB-First Months Experience (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I was lucky, and was having another procedure done at the same time, so I was under anesthesia when they inserted mine, and I didn't experience the pain of insertion that some have described. My body is confused though, because I was supposed to start my period the week after, and I had just had a D&C for a biopsy, (Which was benign, yay!) So my body tried to have a period, I experienced intense angry mood swings. I saw others had experienced that on Mirena. Very little bleeding, a little more intense cramping, but Advil took care of it. Mood swings passed after first couple of days, now I am back to normal. You can feel the string if you search for it in there, but my partner doesn't notice it during intercourse. I will update in 6mths.

March 21, 2013 2:40 PM

Review by MsLisa33 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: I am 47 years old...I had my Mirena removed today after 5yrs. The removal was easy & painless. I had a really good experience with this method of Birth Control. However my sex drive was very low and I experienced minor contractions (that's what I call them) they were more intense than cramps, nothing that a couple of Motrin couldn't handle. After the second year my period completely stopped, I still had PMS but no bleeding for the next 3 yrs. I'm taking a break trying the pill again for 3 months any problems I will not hesitate to have another Mirena inserted.

March 19, 2013 3:48 PM

Review by Rissy09:

For Birth Control: Last August I had the Mirena instered. I was 20 at the time and knew that I did not want any children for the next 5 years. I was really nervous about getting the Mirena because I've never had any children before and heard that the pain was awful. The GYN doctor that I was seeing prescribed me Misoprostol to insert into the vagina to soften the cervix. I also took some Ibuprofen an hour before the procedure. During the procedure I did have A LOT of pain, (as expected), but nothing that was not bearable. I experienced a lot of cramping pain during the dilation and insertion of the procedure and also 2 days after the procedure. I love the Mirena now and no longer have a menstrual cycle or cramping. I've not had any complications so far!

March 19, 2013 11:31 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I am 18 years old and do not have kids. I got Mirena inserted last week. The insertion itself was not that bad, just a bit of discomfort, it was like 3 pinches. When it was over, the doctor asked me how I was feeling, and I felt fine so he let me get up to get dressed. When I came back in the room, I almost passed out and thought I was going to throw up. The nurse got me lying down on the bed again and these feelings went away. The cramping started at this time. I cramped that day, which was manageable with 2 Midol%u2019s and 2 Advil (which was a great combination for this procedure). For the next few days I would get a cramp once a day, no big deal. I haven%u2019t been spotting at all, just a tiny bit right after the insertion.

March 18, 2013 9:08 AM

Review by TRMmommyX3:

For Birth Control: I got the Mirena in August of 2012 after having our 3 little blessing since then I've had weird periods one month, I bleed almost a month then wouldn't have one for 2 months and when I did have a period it lasted over 10 days. The past few months I bleed after intercourse and is very painful afterwards and hubby doesn't understand why I don't want to anymore. Also sharp constant pains in my lower abdominal area.

March 10, 2013 2:07 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I have had a very positive experience over the last almost 5 years. I am 26 with NO children. Yes the insertion is uncomfortable, but only for a minute or so, just a couple of cramps. My doctor gave me Misoprostol (softens the cervix) to take the night before and morning of the insert. I also started ibuprofen 600 mg every 6 hours starting the day before. I had minimal spotting and cramping after. And for the last almost 5 years I have very little cramping, no periods, no mood swings and pain with intercourse only 2 or 3 times. I plan on getting another one and recommend Mirena to everyone!

March 6, 2013 7:03 PM

Review by M. Arlean:

For Birth Control: I got Mirena over 6 months ago it has been a rollercoaster. My periods haven't stopped they've become worse. I bleed for 8-10 days straight. Last month I had 2 periods. . I am hoping it will get better. My Dr gave me birth control pills today to help steady my periods. .. So far it's not going well but I will give it another 2 months in hopes it will get better!

March 6, 2013 5:06 PM

Review by mama11 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: I had Mirena twice. The first time I was thinking on getting it out because it hurt when I had sex and when it fell out I decided to get another one put in. It's been in since Dec. 11 and I don't feel it anymore, little to no period and no more pain during sex. My breakouts are clearing up little by little and sex drive has NOT been affected.

March 5, 2013 2:03 AM

Review by Angel1986:

For Birth Control: I'm 26 and had it inserted in Nov last year. The procedure was not painful but afterwards I had some cramping, but nothing I couldn't deal with. The first 6 weeks I had constant spotting and swelling. It got to a point where I had to go and get a sonar done, to find out whether it has moved (I went for a few jogs afterwards). Well it didn't move at all. My husband does not even realize that I have it in. But my weight has been my biggest issue. I gained weight and I have been exercising more and eating healthier and my weight does not decrease. Whether it is the Mirena or maybe something else, I cannot be sure. But it started after the Mirena was inserted. My mood swings are so much better and I just decided to even exercise harder.

February 27, 2013 8:28 PM

Review by Anonymous3339 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I just got my Mirena IUD inserted yesterday. I am 20 years old, have a very small physique, and have never been pregnant so I was very nervous about insertion pain. Most women have claimed their insertion pain to be "the worst pain" they have ever experienced. This was not the case for me, at all. The procedure was surprisingly quick. The most painful part for me was when the doctor measured my cervix. Very intense pinching. I experienced a few of the most intense cramps I've ever had, but they were bearable. My doctor suggested I take 600 mg ibuprofen 40 minutes prior to the procedure, which I did, and she also used a local anesthetic on my cervix which probably helped quite a bit. Very little bleeding now. Happy so far!

February 27, 2013 8:16 PM

Review by KLMParker:

For Birth Control: Although the insertion was excruciatingly painful (Keep in mind I have a super sensitive cervix i.e even pap smears are uncomfortable) I loved my Mirena and I had it in for 3 years. After the first 6 months I didn't have my period at all, at first that made me nervous and I thought I was pregnant (I wasn't) but after I got used to it, not having a period was amazing. The only reason I had to take it out is because I have never had kids so my Mirena slipped out of place and was causing some mild discomfort. Overall I loved it and if I wasn't so traumatized from the first insertion I would get it again!

February 25, 2013 3:52 PM

Review by Laxwoman9:

For Birth Control: Although I have only had Mirena for 4 days I would like to state that my healing experience wasn't bad at all. I took 1 ibuprofen the night before and day of the procedure then 2 ibuprofens before I left for the procedure. Yes getting it in did hurt a bit but not the worst pain of my life. Also, I went back to working out the following day with no cramps or anything. I am 20 and I have never had a baby and the experience really wasn't bad at all. Just a little bit of cramping during and after the procedure then I was cramp free.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2013 6:33 PM

For Birth Control: I'm 27 (no children) and I've been on the pill for 8 years. Insertion was really painful like a 9/10 and I had taken 600mg of ibuprofen beforehand! I scheduled it while I was supposed to be on my period (this is when your cervix is more open) but my period that month was just some spotting. They gave me an anesthetic spray on my cervix but that's it. Insertion was thankfully fast-3 min total, 15 sec of PAIN. The next 12 hours I had the worst cramps of my life! But after those 12 hours I was fine and just had 3 weeks of spotting. I'm now 3 months in and have had no periods, no problems and I love it! My libido has also increased (compared to when I was on the pill). No side effects that I can tell!

February 18, 2013 4:33 PM

Review by clearlykennedy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: Just wanted to share my POSITIVE experience using Mirena. I have always had really heavy periods, accompanied by intense cramping. I've had the Mirena for about a year. My periods are tolerable because they're so light and only last for 3-4 days. Cramps have disappeared, which is like a dream come true. My skin is clear, I have not gained a pound. I don't feel all weird from hormones like I did when taking the pill-possibly because the hormonal release is localized. initial cost was $370 dollars but if you spread that over 3 years, that's a little over 10 dollars a month. I wish that I had been offered this option when I was 17-better late than never! I'm 28.

February 15, 2013 11:53 AM

Review by Baker girl:

For Birth Control: I had a wonderful experience with this product. My period went away no cramps it is great. ...but I hear the string gets lost a lot and that's what happened to me. An ultrasound was done and everything is in the right place but now it has been 5 years and it needs to come out. What now?

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 14, 2013 8:24 PM

Review by HappilyNotPreggo (taken for less than 1 month):

I got the Mirena put in last month. And holy crap, it was painful. I've never had children, so my cervix was all "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" I was dizzy for a few minutes and went home with a heating pad and pain medicines. At first I was in love. There was some spotting, but nothing I couldn't deal with. Pantyliners are my best friends. Anyway...I'm a little frustrated right now because my period started four days early and will not go away. Just when I think I can put my regular tampons away, it starts up again. (I'm over it). Right now I just want my body to stabilize and figure out what the heck it's doing but otherwise, I'm happy with this decision. My sister just got hers yesterday (has one kid) and is doing great.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2013 9:34 PM

Review by Anlovekory (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: I had Mirena for one year and 2 months and finally call my OB to remove it yesterday. It works great if you don't want to get pregnant. And it doesn't affect my sex drive at all. But began having few cramps after I work out and break out a lot, that I can't tolerate any anymore. I'm on pills right now. My OB told me that pills will clear my acne. So hopefully it does.

February 12, 2013 2:51 PM