User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 138 reviews 163 medications

6.9
Summary of Mirena reviews 1054 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "Felt compelled to weigh in on the insertion issue. Everybody is different, of course, but I had read many forums in which woman after woman called the insertion excruciating, agonizing, or the worst pain they've ever felt. I am small-build (5'0), never had children. It was really not that bad. Three rather severe cramps - but nothing worse than I have had with a particularly bad period. I had no local anesthetic and I took 800mg ibuprofen one hour beforehand. It was inserted less than an hour ago and I am back at work and feeling fine. I think one thing that may make a difference is the experience of the nurse practitioner or doctor performing the procedure. The more experienced, the faster. Mine took less than three minutes total. Not bad."

ImaCaliGirl May 21, 2015

For Birth Control "Ok I had mine inserted six weeks after my daughter was born Nov 2012. When it was inserted it hurt like heck. I had some cramping and bleeding nothing bad tho. I loved it until Easter 2013 I had one breast swell it was a small cyst. And no period for six months well of course I didn't think it was my mirena. Then my period suddenly came back. I have suffered a miscarriage. I have been so moody, cramps awful cramps, low sex drive my poor husband, breast swelling and tenderness again, cysts on both ovaries, hair loss, depression. I'm getting this thing yanked as soon as possible. And going back on the pill. I hate it! Do not recommend for anyone!"

Hannahbug May 20, 2015

For Birth Control "I just got my IUD (mirena) put in yesterday. I am 23 years old with a 1 year old son, my doctor recommended the IUD because I couldn't take anything oral that has hormones. I'm a complete b**** with the BC pills. The insertion was very uncomfortable for me and still have mild cramps, but I can say me and my fiance have a piece of mind that I won't be getting pregnant anytime soon, although we do want another. I read a lot of the negative experiences but everyone is different. So if you want to try it do it, and I love the fact that I don't have to remember a pill. Just talk with your doctor and I trust my gyno so I have no doubts."

iLoveMyBoys04/11/14 May 20, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Just got my IUD placed today! I was honestly so terrified to go I had put it off for a year now. It was the quickest, least painful procedure I've had. My Dr paced a local anesthetic and I didn't feel a thing."

Amg2209 May 19, 2015

For Birth Control "I've had it for a year and no babies yet! No periods, no cramping and no getting cranky. However I'm starting to get my period normally again getting it checked out soon."

Carzzzy May 19, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "The insertion of the iud was painful. Afterward I experienced cramping & spotting for 2 days. About a week later I experienced acne. Luckily I have teens and I use their acne gel. A few weeks later my right foot and ankle was swollen. I used ice, elevate my foot and when that didn't work I went to the Doctor. The X-ray didn't show anything wrong. My ankle hurt in I small area and it was difficult to walk without limping. I began reading reviews about iud side effects and sure enough a swollen ankle is a side effect. I had to purchase an ankle wrap to ease the pain. I had the iud inserted 3/15 for irregular bleeding due to peri menopause. I'm going to Try to keep it as long as I can hoping the swelling will completely go away soon"

Joy916 May 19, 2015

For Birth Control "Hurts way too much! I asked if it slipped."No everything's fine." after 2 weeks of not adjusting, I'm having it removed today. If I live that long!!"

CantEVENPEE May 18, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "It's been 3 months. Basically non stop spotting or bleeding. Mirena and sex life do not get along. Miserable. Considering removal."

Terri226 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 17, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "Had Mirena inserted 4 weeks ago. Don't need it for BC, but I am extremely iron-deficient, so it was to stop my periods. Nevermind the actual procedure, I didn't take any pain killers before or after. But I have been bleeding and badly cramping ever since the procedure. Sometimes cramps would stop, then come back suddenly so bad I groan out loud. Any physical activity makes it much worse. My tum & breasts are swollen & tender. Some acne. Mood swings - more like mood plungers: I tend to snap at everyone around for no reason. Definitely a weight gain - 2kg in 4 weeks. Everyone says I look very pale. Total life disruption. I wish I read other reviews before doing it. My GP told me it would settle after 3-4 days. It comes out next week."

ozi888 May 16, 2015

For Birth Control "I just got mirena placed today. I'm amazed at how any people say it isn't painful because mine was the most excruciating thing I have ever experienced. It took forever to get it placed. I laid there for 25 mins in extreme pain while they fumbled around getting it in place. I have a tilted uterus, so it's harder to get where it should be. That might just be why it was so terrible for me. It has been about 12 hours and I have very bad bleeding. Full on gushing, bad cramping, I feel light headed, sick, my heart is fluttering and racing, I feel altogether terrible. I'm starting to wonder if I made the right choice here. Mine was not actually implanted as a bc method, my tube are already tied, it is for "irregular" bleeding."

not sure what to think yet. (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "This was my second Mirena. My first was great. I had no periods, not complaints. Insertion and removal were super easy. However, after removal I did bleed for a couple weeks. The second one has been awful. I just had it removed after 3 years. My hair was falling out. I gained weight. I had very low sex drive. I bleed all the time. I got it removed 5 weeks ago and I'm still bleeding. I'm even on nuvaring, and still bleeding. It's awful. There is no end in sight."

Prefer not say (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 14, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had the mirena inserted after having my daughter in 07 wasn't painful AT ALL, no side effects barely had a period. After 5 years had it reinserted in 2012. To remove and reinsert the new one was the most painful experience ever. Since than my period lasts 3 weeks straight very heavy & right when I think I'm done with my period (lasts maybe 4 days) it will start AGAIN & I'll continue to bleed the remainder of the month till my next period. I'm very agitated easily, I'm very tired never had I tooken a nap & now that's all I do. I'm always bloated I've gained weight, I always have lower stomach pains I don't know if it's because I didn't give my body a break before inserting another one but I'm taking this one out & never doing it again"

Damarie May 13, 2015

For Birth Control "Hello, this birth control was wonderful for me! I spotted maybe a week. I have never had kids but the insertion was not terrible at all and everything was just amazing!"

nottellingwhoiam May 12, 2015

For Birth Control "I went to have the Mirena IUD removed 1 1/2 years after placement and my ob/gyn couldn't find it to remove it. I have had an ultrasound that turned up nothing and now need an abdominal xray to see if it can be located that way. My insurance won't cover any of it until my deductible is met, so I have to come up with $1000 just to find out, and if they find it, I'll need surgery. This "migration and spontaneous expulsion" are more common than the company says. "

kds3plus May 12, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had my mirena inserted 7 weeks ago. My doc first tried inserting it in her office. After several painful tries including using dilitation tools, she gave up. I have 3 children and one was a home birth with no meds. I would rather give birth then do that again!!! It was nasty. I cramped and bled for many days after. I had it inserted several months later via surgery. I had less cramping and needed no pain meds after. A week later I started having painful cramping and 3 weeks of bleeding. The pain was so bad if I was in bed no one could touch it as it would start another cramp. Last week, I got up at 3 am to go to the bathroom. On the way back I was hit with the worst pain ever. I went to the er, and it left after 20 min."

Sue80 May 12, 2015

For Birth Control "The Mirena worked for not getting pregnant and no periods. However, it gave me debilitating cystic acne. It started within 3-4 months after getting the Mirena inserted. I went to several doctors and dermatologists who all insisted that the Mirena was not the cause. I spent thousands of dollars on acne prescriptions and countless depressed days due to the severity of the acne. As a woman in my mid thirties, it effected my career as well as my personal relationships and self esteem. This went on for the next 5 years. I didn't have the Mirena removed on its expiration date, and noticed that after about 3 months after the expiration, my skin had miraculous improvement. I had the Mirena removed and have never suffered a breakout since."

S&J (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 8, 2015

For Birth Control "I had my Mirena inserted this morning. As far as the procedure, it was easy. I've had 2 children, I'm currently on my period (cervix already dilated some), my OB gave me Cytotek to soften my cervix, and I took 800 mg of Ibuprofen prior to the procedure. It was over in 2 seconds. I felt a little prick and had some cramping for the first hour. It's now 4 hours after and no cramps. Not sure how the rest of the night will go though! I think the procedure is rough for those who haven't had kids. My experience involved very minimal pain. Now I'm worried I will bleed for 6 months straight like some people are saying. My regular period should be over tomorrow. I really hope the heavy bleeding doesn't last much longer."

ErikaJae17 May 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm so glad I didn't read these reviews before getting the iud inserted---I would have been terrified! Everyone is saying how it's so painful....umm? No. I'd say minor discomfort for a few seconds and that's it. I've had a little spotting since it was inserted but nothing crazy."

Don't be scared (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2015

For Birth Control "I had it put in about two years ago after my 3 rd kid. I was pleased with it at first but now I have noticed extreme hair thinning, low to no sex drive and gained about 10lbs I can't seem to lose. Calling tomorrow to have it yanked. My hubby is fixed so I can do it with out worry."

dawn mom of 3 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 3, 2015

For Birth Control "I had mirena inserted July of 2014. The insertion was extremely painful for me and I tend to take menstrual pretty well. The only pro for me was not having to think about birth control. Everything else was sadly a con. My periods did not become lighter, my cramps did not get less painful. I had a regular heavy period every month since July. Finally yesterday was when I reached my breaking point. I started my period 3 days ago and the cramps were excruciating. My gyno was able to see me and it turns out my body was trying to explell the iud and it was pushing on my uterus. Needless to say, out it came which I truly didn't feel. Can't wait to start any other birth control again. The acne I've gotten since July has been just horrible also."

Anonymous1111111 April 29, 2015

"I've had mirena for about a year now, everything was perfectly fine until about 3 months ago. I've had very bad pain and cramping, it gives me mood swings, no energy to do anything, And sharp pains while having intercourse. I'm getting it taken out next month, It's too much of a pain ... Anyone suggests any better BC ??"

pChristineHom April 28, 2015

For Birth Control "I've had the Mirena for about a week now, and having it put in was not painful, there was discomfort but no pain. I did cramp pretty bad afterwards but only after I had it done. I haven't had any since and no bleeding since. I really like it so far and I hope I continue to do so"

Greysonsmommy April 28, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had the Mirena for almost a year, The doctor I had was amazing and explained it perfectly to. Worse pain for about one second and a break and then even worse pain for about 1 more second. You can seriously count to 1 and it's over. I am someone that got extreme cramps before, and my cramping was bad first three months I spotted and cramped and hated it! But my bf (a doctor) told me to give it three months then decide so I did! And I'm very happy I did. My only concern is I've gained 45 lbs since the insertion, I'm not sure at this point why? 4 months now I have changed my diet and work with a personal trainer 3-5 times a week. Fingers crossed I get my body back!!"

ReviewM (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2015

For Birth Control "I am totally happy with getting mine done! I have not had a period at all since getting it done in January 2015. I would recommend you having pains meds readily available before and after getting it done. It does hurt. I have some cramping every once in a while. But totally love it!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the mirena 3 days ago and I've had nothing but pain ever since. It's not severe pain, but bad cramps that don't go away, even with advil. The insertion was SUPER painful and seemed to take forever, but that could have been because I had to get it done at a "teaching" clinic and the guy didn't know what he was doing. I'm 28, no kids. I like the idea of an IUD but I just don't know if it's for me."

DMunz (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2015