Pill Identifier App

7.4
Summary of Mirena reviews 834 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Mirena

Review by happy mirena user (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: 22; getting married in August- I received my Mirena at the beginning of January 2014 and I am currently loving it! Like many of you I did extensive research before deciding on a birth control. I decided to go through with Mirena and having it inserted hurt REALLY BAD because I've never experienced something passing through my cervix. I turned white immediately and nearly passed. I cramped for about two weeks but used ibuprofen and it was fine. My fianc

February 19, 2014 9:54 PM

Review by Lizzy Borden (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I just got mine in a month ago and I feel and look really bloated all the time. I've been on my period for almost 2 weeks I don't like it so I'm getting it removed tomorrow.

February 18, 2014 8:31 PM

Review by J.Dizzle (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: Age: 22 Kids: 0 I have had my Mirena for nearly three years and I love it! Insertion was painful for about a minute and I had bad cramps for a few hours afterwards but since then, nothing! It is expensive if you dont have good benefits (luckily I do!) I've only had two 'periods' since the day I got my Mirena and they were very light and lasted only a day or two. Some months I get slightly crampy for a few days but this happens very rarely! I was concerned about the Mirena migrating or turning or doing something it wasn't supposed to but have been to my gyno for annual check ups and it hasn't moved at all. I will definitely get the Mirena again when I'm done having children! We NEVER have protected sex (3 years!) my husband and I both love it.

February 11, 2014 12:30 AM

Review by harpermom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I love Mirena more then any other birth control method. Had it put in 3 months after my daughter was born. There was slight pain with insertion but my cervix had fully closed by that time. I had light spotting that day and nothing since. I am also breastfeeding so that might be why I am not bleeding like others. I have had no mood swings acne or weight gain. I do have a Masters in pharmacology and from an education background I can say most of those side effects people complain about are from your bodies adjusting from having a baby in you and then out of you. The amount of hormone transfer from uterus site to outside the body is minimal that is why it is safe for breastfeeding mothers.

February 9, 2014 12:55 PM

Review by DivineLove:

For Birth Control: I am 20 years old and I had my Mirena inserted a month ago and to me personally the insertion was extremely painful. It was unlike any other painful cramp I have ever felt before, but the pain did not last for too long and after it was inserted I was fine and didn't really cramp much after. That being said, I have had no children and did not take my Advil as advised from the nurse prior to my appointment. Other than that I have only had light spotting and it has made my period lighter. Mirena is supposed to decrease your sex drive but honestly it has increased mine and my partner and I love it! I hope it stays this way and the bleeding/spotting stops soon!

February 6, 2014 10:38 PM

Review by Rachel a:

For Birth Control: I got my Mirena inserted at the end of December 2013 and it is now February 2014. I have a three month old. The insertion wasn't painful, but it was uncomfortable for a few minutes. After I experienced light cramping for about a day. I've been bleeding since I got it but it's not heavy. I am a teenager so if you are a teen mom I recommend this. You don't have to remember to take anything. I haven't gained any weight and have had no serious side effects. So far it's great.

February 4, 2014 9:17 AM

Review by gplt9109 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I've had the Mirena for about 5 months now and I'm still not sold on it. The pain during insertion was high and I had horrible cramping for the next few days. My periods are about a week and a half long, granted it is light and is more like spotting but it's real inconvenient. I still get pretty bad cramps accompanied with it too. You're told to give it about 6 months to let your body adjust to it so I'm hoping it gets better.

February 3, 2014 10:50 PM

Review by d222j:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I just got the Mirena inserted this morning and thought I'd share my experience. When my doctor inserted the Sound to measure my uterus, it was like a sudden cramp that came on and it was alarming (an eye opener). Then she proceded to insert the Mirena, which also was quite crampy, but not as intense. To me, the Sound was more uncomfortable than the Mirena insertion. I have read a bunch of horror stories online and honestly, I can say it really wasn't that bad. In fact, I only took 1 Advil before insertion and I am home now and I'm not even cramping. Don't get me wrong, insertion wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't anything horrible.

February 3, 2014 12:34 PM

Review by MorganO (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I'm 24 and have had one baby. I waited until I was 8 months post-partum for insertion. I have PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) and getting Mirena was a 50/50 risk of improving or hurting my condition. I did not get my Mirena inserted while on my period since PCOS women have irregular cycles. Insertion wasn't really painful; it felt like getting a PAP smear. If you've had a baby, insertion is like a mosquito bite compared to labor. I got my Mirena on December 26th, 2013. It's now January 31st, 2014 and I'm still bleeding like an average period. I've read a lot of reviews on here and noticed a trend for the women who have had babies before insertion, and they bled quite awhile longer than women without a history of children.

January 31, 2014 11:49 PM

Review by mmw29 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: Age: 24; Births: none; Previous contraceptives: none; I just got Mirena inserted yesterday with no anesthesia. I took 800mg of ibuprofen before my appointment. I experienced two sharp pains that lasted ~10 seconds each--one during measurement and one during insertion. I just tried to relax my bottom and breathe through it. The pain immediately subsided after she inserted the Mirena. I did feel crampy for the rest of the day, but I returned to work and even went to the gym and did a 2 mile run on the treadmill. So it wasn't terrible. I can only comment on the insertion experience since I just got it inserted yesterday, but hopefully this will be helpful for those of you who (like me) are feeling anxious about the insertion.

January 30, 2014 11:06 AM

Review by Kristy 34:

For Birth Control: I've had the Mirena for 5 years. I'm having it takin out next month. I've really enjoyed having this birth control. For one it was very effective and I didn't have to remember to take a pill. The only thing I have bad to say about the Mirena is it did cause cyst which was very painful at times and as I've read all the reviews not one person mentioned discharge. It causes you to "leak". Its perfectly normal. But to me was gross. And it was a lot! I can say my sex drive has decreased in the last year to where I don't want it at all. Other than that it has been great! Getting it put in didn't really hurt I just felt pressure. Hope this helps!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2014 10:05 PM

Review by traceyb419:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had almost a constant headache when I first had it in I gained 12 lbs in 2 weeks (thought it was water but it stayed). Not sure if I got depression or I just didn't feel right. Got it out yesterday..no more constant headache!

January 25, 2014 6:14 AM

Review by Emmcat76:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have felt so wonderful since I had the Mirena inserted over a week ago - I feel like my old self! I have suffered for over a decade with huge fibroids, have been through two major open surgeries, multiple minor ones, have had horrendous periods, PMS through the roof, you name it - I've had it. This past week I have been energetic, happy, smiling and just plain normal!! I haven't felt like this for years and I can only assume my body is responding well to it. I hope my positive experience stays. I had it inserted under general anesthetic as my gyno did a hysteroscopy while she was in there.

January 21, 2014 9:17 AM

Review by sianscarlet:

For Birth Control: I just had my mirena removed after having it for 5 years. After only a few days of spotting and cramping I did not have a period for 5 years. I did however cramp a little every month and had mood swings. It was the best birth control experience ever and after having a few cycles I plan on having it put back in.

January 17, 2014 7:11 PM

Review by mia morgan:

For Birth Control: I've been on Mirena for about a month and a half, the insertion hurt and I've been on my period since then. It's not at all heavy, actually light enough to wear 1 panty liner all day. I think I want to get it taken out soon because I'm also feeling real crampy throughout the day.

January 13, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by Sharkie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I had this birth control in for 2 years and have had it removed. The only benefit was the fact that I didn't have to take the pill every day. I spotted all the time on this and got really random heavy periods. The side effects were unbearable (they creep up on you)! I didn't notice any major problems at first, but by year two I thought there was something medically wrong with me (I have been seeing a specialist, my normal Dr. couldn't figure out what was wrong with me) I had really emotional PMS, the sharpest worst cramps (I could feel the Mirena poking me for the inside) and no sex drive at all. I had difficulty focusing, was tired ALL the time, super sore body and I gained 27 pounds with no major lifestyle changes. Insertion and removal HURT!

January 10, 2014 3:45 PM

Review by Hazelk:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have dysmenorrhea. I have had Mirena for almost 5 years, due to get a replacement at the end of this month. It has been great - no periods, increased libido. I did get some angry red pimples on my chin, which cleared up with antibiotic cream from my GP. Have gained weight, but this is undoubtedly due to my terrible diet and lack of exercise! My GYN said I could leave it another 6 months, but I have been feeling moodier/libido decreasing the last couple of months, due to the hormones waning. Mirena is the best thing I ever tried, I got it to try and stop my very painful periods, and it has worked!

January 3, 2014 7:23 AM

Review by Kellbell80:

For Birth Control: I have a 5 month old and just had the Mirena last month. It is amazing! Did not hurt whatsoever when they inserted it. I have had no side effects, cramping, nothing! I even have noticed I have lost a few pounds versus the weight gain of traditional birth control pills. I read reviews for weeks that terrified me for no reason, it was painless. It is worth every penny and I am so pleased with the results.

December 27, 2013 11:56 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: If I could give the Mirena a 20, I would! I had it inserted in August 2013 for endometriosis and I have had one period since; and I use the phrase period loosely (I barely bled for around 36 hours. It barely warranted the use of pantyliners). My primary reason for getting it was to keep my endometriosis at bay; it is an estrogen dependent disease that thrives during your period, so my doctor killed two birds with one stone. My insertion was mildly uncomfortable during the part where they open your cervix, but my doctor also had me take 800mg of Ibuprofen an hour before my appointment. The whole insertion process took less than two minutes. I had absolutely no spotting, cramping for three days. Added bonus, sex drive is through the roof!

December 23, 2013 3:16 PM

Review by Dayalin:

For Birth Control: I had my Mirena put in 10 years ago. The first one I had in 2003 then in 2008 and the third one this year 2013 April. I've been very satisfied with this birth control. I love it.

December 10, 2013 2:15 AM

For Birth Control: Had insertion May/2013 to help with heavy periods, only issue is hair loss. Now looking back, hair loss started within a few weeks of insertion. Going next week to have device removed. No other option, need to stop hair loss.

December 7, 2013 10:59 AM

Review by Jekala (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I've had it put in since 6 weeks after my 2nd son was born. It's been 6 months. Bled and spotted for 3 months and then stopped. I love everything except the mood swings and anxiety. I'm not the same with my family. Also my sex drive but if I can only get a hold on this anger I believe my sex drive would get better. Going to talk with my doctor about it and go from there. Hopefully it gets better.

December 6, 2013 4:42 PM

Review by Michelle.raeann:

For Birth Control: I have been on the Mirena for eight months now, and I have never been happier. I had my period once four months later, it was so light I only needed a pad. The insertion was painful but it lasted no more than a minute. I had cramping for two days and spotting for less than a month. I will use Mirena as birth control until I'm ready to have kids, and when I'm done having children I will get right back on it. I love it!

December 4, 2013 1:40 PM

Review by TwinkleToots (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've had my Mirena in for 4 years. The reason I got it in is because I had bad endometriosis pain and symptoms. Since then the 1st couple of months I had a lot of bleeding and cramps but then my body adjusted to it all and life has been great! I'm able to function properly again and have never felt this good. I don't get any period bleeding either. Just some light spotting now and then. I love it. Since I'm not ready to have kids yet, I will probably get another one put in soon.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2013 3:10 AM

Review by Tess73 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had a Mirena put in when I had my laproscopy for Endometriosis about five months ago. I had a month of heavy bleeding at first now its just a few days a month of light bleeding the rest of the time there is a light discharge whatever that is. It is annoying as I have to always wear a pantyliner. Good thing the Mirena has gotten rid of the heavy painful bleeding I had and my menstrual migraines (which used to last for 7-10 days every month). Yay! Only thing that really upsets me is the acne on my chin, though its more like rash type spots then full on acne it looks dreadful as my face has red splotches on it and its embarrassing. Still I would prefer to have that then the horrible pains and migraines that I used to.

November 16, 2013 1:54 AM