User Reviews for Mirena (Page 6)

Learn more about Mirena.

Birth Control 1058 reviews 271 medications

7.2
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 190 reviews 162 medications

6.2
Summary of Mirena reviews 1248 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I have 2 kids, got Mirena IUD inserted when my youngest was 2 (5 years ago) Physically: right from the start no problems whatsoever, no weight gain, no acne, light to none periods. Mentally: the first month and then some was awful. I'd never before experienced mood swings like that before, it was depressing. I wanted it out, but was advised to give it time. So glad I did give it time. After the first few months, it's been great. I've been on an even keel as far as moods go. It's been great! I need to have it out now since this month is the 5 year mark. I definitely want to replace it, just hoping I don't go through what I did the first months of the first time around!!"

LemonJen October 12, 2015

For Birth Control "I decided to switch from the pill to Mirena because I was not great at remembering to take the pill and I am 21 and not ready to have a baby, so I wanted something I could not forget to take. I went online and read reviews and almost did not go through with it because even though there were some great reviews, the bad ones terrified me, especially because I had a lot of problems on multiple birth control pills before (depression, mood swings, sore breasts, etc). The initial procedure for me was not bad at all, and the pain was less than a normal period cramp. Since then I have had no pain and no adverse side effects, and I have nothing but great things to say. So much better than the pill, and honestly the best decision I have made about bc"

Michellek829 October 9, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm on my second IUD. Had the first one removed after 4 years and another put in. The first one didn't hurt at all when they placed it but the second one I had pretty bad cramping for about a half hour. I've not had any problems! I bled for a couple of months with the first one and have only had random spotting since (maybe every three months). I would highly recommend!"

Mom43081 October 9, 2015

For Birth Control "I've had Morena for 4 years. Though my periods almost.disappeared, I have so many problems that annoy me alot. Increased arterial blood pressure, headache, mood changes, increase in body weight, especially the upper part, vaginal discharge, and acne. I am planning on removing it. You may ask why I could put up with these side effects for 4 years. Well, I've the answer. I tried removing it and it failed and my gynecologist advised removing it with general anastasi, so I freaked out."

Bassant Salah October 9, 2015

For Birth Control "My son and daughter are 18 months apart so BC was needed. I wanted a BC that I didn't have to worry about daily so Mirena seemed like the perfect choice...especially since all my friends raved about it. It's horrible! I got it inserted February 2015 during my 6wks follow-up after my son was born. I bled everyday until May. I have to wear a liner everyday now b/c I never know when I'll bleed (heavy or lite)...my poor husband! My hair is thinning. I get headaches like everyday, along with cramping. This shit is awful. I'm getting it removed next month...I wish there was an appointment available SOOO much sooner though!"

PinkyLee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got my mirena but in on September 28th on my 6 week post parteum appointment. My OBGYN talked so highly of it and actually talked me into it. I cramped so bad while having it put in. After it was all put in I felt fine...until I was driving home. Ever since then I've had unbearable cramps, some days it's hard to get out of bed to pick up my son. I had spotting on and off up until October 7th. I've been bleeding more than my normal period and more intense cramps. I don't know how much more I can take of this. I'm trying to stick it out until Wednsday because if this is a normal period it should be gone by then. I've only had sex once since I've had it because of all the bleeding, it's honestly taken a toll on mine and my husbands sex life."

SMH113 (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got the Mirena inserted on the 1st September 2015 and the procedure was painless and quick BUT I have been bleeding heavily ever since it has been 6 weeks straight bleeding heavily and there's even big clots in the bleeding. I am so uncomfortable it's not even funny. I actually thought this product will solve my heavy periods problem but honestly it has made my life a living hell. I contacted my Gynae and he prescripted some anti-antibiotics when I finish that course if the situation doesn't change I am definitely going to take it out. I can't live like this really"

Tee*am (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena March 2015. My doctor informed all of the symptoms I would probably get during & after the procedure. The procedure was 10 minutes really easy. & I went straight to work after. I didn't really bleed which was weird since I've never been pregnant. After a month and a half I started spotting. This went on for like 4-5 months. sometimes it was daily other times it was barely anything. It honestly sucked but my doctor did mention that to me before my procedure. Now I love it. My periods are either super light or nothing. I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't like periods, & wants contraception lol. oh & I only gained like 3 pounds for how much craving I got"

ally3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 6, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had it inserted 3 weeks ago. The insertion was not bad at all. I took advil before hand and had very little cramping. It was inserted on the last day of my period and spotting started and has not let up. It goes from spotting to full period then slows down and then starts up again. I haven't been a day without wearing something...very frustrating...I feel like I have put on weight despite vigorous exercise regimen and clean eating. No sex life at all because of the mess. I .have been suffering from systematic acne the last few years on face and back, my face seems ok but my back is flaring up I don't know how much longer to let it go. It was inserted because of miserable periods, pms and I also have POSD....fingers crossed that it all settles down..."

hopeful 1in1 million October 6, 2015

For Birth Control "I have had Mirena for a little over a month now, and so far its been great! The insertion was very painful... much worse than people said, but this varies between people. I had severe cramps for a few hours after it was inserted, but after that they were mild for the rest of the day (and the next). I spotted for a few days, but that went away and there was nothing until my period. My period was lighter, but it lasted longer. It was basically spotting (slightly heavier than a pantyliner could handle), for seven days. Since then, I've had some sporadic light spotting, but its definitely manageable. As for other side effects, I haven't noticed any weight gain, mood swings, or a noticeable increase in acne, and I am prone to breakouts."

Mirena Fan October 6, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had Mirena inserted July 16, 15. I had very heavy bleeding for about 7 days after insertion. Insertion was not painful for me. Had heavy cramping the day of only. I have had some sort of bleeding ranging from a couple spots a day to very heavy for 2 months after. After my period last month I finally quit spotting all together then yesterday came along and I have a super heavy flow period out of the blue. Trying to make it to the 6 month mark but it is definitely annoying."

mum26under16 October 4, 2015

For Birth Control "Mirena = headache, mood swings, bad odor, painful acne, weight gain"

Lulu123456 October 4, 2015

For Birth Control "I have tried the pill, the patch, nuvaring, patch and the depo shot. I have to say the IUD has been my favorite! I did like the depo a lot but I broke out with a lot of acne all over my face. I never had acne as a teenager so getting it as an adult was torture and humiliating. I had to see a dermatologist and get on accutane. I then got the IUD in May 2011. I was nervous after reading reviews but decided I'd give it a shot anyway. Getting it inserted, I didn't realize how badly it hurt...after 30 days it felt great! I did have to get it trimmed once since my husband did hit it a few times. Other than that I highly recommend it. Best birth control I've tried by far! Give it a chance :)"

Bianca24 October 2, 2015

For Birth Control "I had the mirena placed this morning at 11 am. The placement was not the most comfortable, but it also wasn't the most painful thing I have endured. Very bearable. I am 20 years old and I have never had children or been pregnant. Took a good amount of pain medicine this morning on top of cytotec the night before, by mouth. Besides a few mild cramps (not even as painful as the ones I have on my period) and a very mild headache, I have not experienced any pain or side effects so far. Of course it is only day 1, but things are looking pretty good! :)"

Keirsten September 30, 2015

For Birth Control "I've had the Mirena since 2004. I had my first one removed after 3 years and was pregnant within a month! At my 6 week appointment I had another inserted. Three years later, we wanted another child and were pregnant in a couple of months. Amazing. I will admit, after the first one was inserted I cramped and it was miserable for two weeks. Every one since went in easy and out easy. I've had no period to speak of for years. I'm coming up on the five year mark and am totally planning on another!"

Fanofthismedication (taken for 10 years or more) September 27, 2015

For Birth Control "I decided to get this because I get irregular menstrual cycles that go from no period to Red Wedding (Game of Throne Fans will get this) like cycles. Some days I would have to call out of work. Anyway...all the doctors gave a good hype about this Minerva. I have a high tolerance for pain and had a child - the insertion hurt!!! I've had this evil thing in me since June (almost 4 months) and the bleeding won't stop. I'm buying pads by the bulk, and went to my dermatologist due to acne! They make it seem as if "spotting " is ok but after two months of constant spotting you begin to wonder- "why did I get this". I also still get my periods and they last even longer! My moods go from 0-100 like the speed of LIGHT. I'M HAVING IT REMOVED ASAP"

Scorpiomcgee78 September 27, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I got mirena inserted on Dec. 8th, 2014. At my 6 week postpartum checkup. I started bleeding immediately and consistently until March 23rd.(and I mean every single day for over 3 months) As of today, I still have a period every single month, it hasn't gotten any lighter at all. My pms is worse. I get bad acne, which was never a problem before. The strings make my boyfriend uncomfortable during intercourse (after having them shortened TWICE already). Heavy spotting in between periods, cramps all month long. My Dr. Assures me that it will get better, and they don't want me to have it removed. But honestly, I feel worse off now than when I got it."

Thatbrandigirl September 25, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I was given the Mirena on recommendation from my OBGYN doctor to treat constant bleeding. I was advised that I could expect spotting throughout the first three months, but that after that it should be very light or non-existent. Insertion was not horrible, but definitely not fun. I bled for 4 months straight while on the Mirena, not to mention other not so fun side effects, like bloating, acne, and that awful smell (which they don't warn you about by the way). I tried additional birth control pills on top of the Mirena, in order to stop the bleeding, but it only worked short term. Finally I pulled the plug, quite literally actually. Removal was painless and quick. I opted for the Depo shot instead. Miraculously the bleeding stopped!"

CS0214 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2015

For Birth Control "I tried the mirena for 1 year. The inserting was not painful for me at all but the next day I had level 10 pain and was concerned but all was fine. it ended up completely stopping my periods which was the only thing I loved about it. About 6 months into it sex started to hurt really bad with it and i was also starting to have really bad black out spells. I actually ended up seeing a heart specialist because they thought it was something to do with my heart. I told the specialist I think its my mirena. I would have the mirena checked on a reg basis by my gyn due to pain and such. One day I ended up getting so fed up with it all I told my gyn to take it out. Since then I have had no issues with blacking out even and sex became non painful."

horrible would not recommend September 23, 2015

For Birth Control "I will be removing the IUD in a few weeks after 5 yrs. I wish I could use it another 5 yrs but I'm not sure it's recommended."

5 yrs completed no problems (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 22, 2015

For Birth Control "I had it fitted after a polyp was removed even though I was sterilised - to stop my irregular bleeding. It's been 4 weeks now and I've felt like its a constant period - cramping, bleeding and I am a total psycho too - I've asked to have it removed. As everything some it suits - some it Doesn't"

A13 September 22, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena today, literally an hour ago, and let me just tell you exactly how nervous I was. I had an anxiety attack going in, I was so scared to get it. I had nearly backed out so many times because I kept reading the reviews, but I am so glad I got it. The pain is quick literally so fast you can't even react to it. I'm cramping, mildly, and bleeding (which is normal when something is inserted in you) I definitely recommend this to anyone, and if you're scared, don't be. It's literally a 5 minute procedure- and it's quick and easy. Pain goes away so fast!"

Tuesdayyy (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2015

For Birth Control "I had the mirena from March of 2010 til March of 2015. I remember thinking about having it removed within the first 6 months. I hated it. After that though, my periods got better and after the first year I had almost no period! It was amazing! Never had to worry about getting pregnant, didn't gain a ton of weight and removal was rather easy. I mean, it felt as though she pulled my belly button out through my vagina, but it only hurt for less than five minutes so not to bad for four years of no periods. I just had another one put in today (September 2015). From March to September I had totally regular periods and it helped me remember how much I hate having a period. Thus, another iud for me!"

8742259 September 22, 2015

For Birth Control "I am 52, and had the Mirena put in to help with heavy bleeding. In the month that I had it I gained 5 lbs, had headaches every day, was nauseous and felt like I was 3 months pregnant, could not sit comfortably, I experienced irritability. When I went to the clinic to have the IUD removed my blood pressure was high and I have never had high blood pressure. I would not recommend the Mirena to anyone."

AVR1962 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2015

For Birth Control "Inserted 3/2015. Removed 9/2015 after 6 months of weight gain, extreme cystic acne and body acne, exhaustion. Smelly discharge, spotting. Yeast infections. I hated Mirena!"

mom3Littlebirds (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 22, 2015