User Reviews for Mirena

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 107 reviews 163 medications

7.4
Summary of Mirena reviews 934 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Mirena

For Birth Control "I got my Mirena in Dec 2014. I was taking the mini pill for years. I get classic migraines and can't take estrogen birth control. I had missed some pills in Sept 2014 & had an ectopic pregnancy. Once my body recovered from that, my doc suggested Mirena. I always read "horror" stores about it, but after what I just went through, I decided to give it a try. I'm 36, with 3 kids, so not having to worry about birth control for a couple years is great. The insertion was uncomfort Level 5, but over & done quick. Spotting about a week. Periods are so light that I barely need a pad. I haven't noticed any weight gain or acne. No issues with sex & I think my libido has gone up. Thus far, I'm REALLY satisfied and wish I had done it sooner."

YetAnotherJanelle January 24, 2015

For Birth Control "Got the Mirena in almost 2 weeks ago, and I must say I love it so far! Horrible cramps for the first 5 or so hours after insertion (had to drive home) and almost couldn't take it. Heating pad helped bunches along with laying on my back. The cramps went away the next day! I even went to work. A few cramps here and there, but that's expected. Nothing too unbearable. I'm also a 21yo with NO kids. My boyfriend also can't feel it. One thing though, the antibiotics they put you on day of insertion did give me a Yeast Infection. Went away a couple days later. Love the Mirena so far!"

Dessabear (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I am 42 years old. I have uterine fibroids which, for the past few years, have caused excessive bleeding during my periods. It was miserable. SO, my doctor suggested the Mirena IUD. It emits the tiniest amount of progesterone (something that I was apparently lacking) and thins the uterine lining which would greatly reduce my bleeding. Insertion was very painful for me. But I have never had kids. There were a few months of adjustment. I experienced quite a bit of body aches- my lower back and hips, legs and feet. That all went away. My periods are VERY light now. and my life is back to normal. It is now January and I feel great! So glad I did it."

totallyhappy January 20, 2015

For Birth Control "I was scared to get Mirena after reading all the horror stories but got it anyways and I'm liking it so far! I'm 20 years old with no kids. Cramping during insertion and off and on for a few days after, nothing unbearable. Skin has gotten better and I've actually lost weight but this might not have anything to do with Mirena. Only downside is I'm still spotting but my doctor said it should be gone within a month or so. No pain during sex and my boyfriend says he can't feel the strings either. Would definitely recommend! Don't let all the horror stories scare you."

HSF (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2015

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Birth Control "I am getting mine taken out next week. I've been on it for almost two years and have bleeding 95% of the time."

Mama knows January 16, 2015

For Birth Control "I love Mirena. I am 26 and never had kids before. I had my Mirena inserted 7 months ago, little pain when MD inserted. Little cramps but it all want away. I have gain few pounds. Overall it is a great birth control."

mlsr January 15, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I'm 20 with no children. Have had Mirena for a month. Bad cramping when inserted and the whole day after. No cramping since. Started my period shortly after, was significantly lighter than normal. I've been spotting every day since though. A bit annoying but it should go away. Got a little acne but it's almost gone, and I've been more irritable than usual."

eskin234 January 14, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I'm 16 years old with no kids. The insert of the Mirena was very painful, and I mean so painful that I teared up and felt very dizzy after. I have used birth control pills in the past for heavy bleeding and cramping but I got break through bleeding. The first day of getting it inserted was probably the worst day, now I'm just spotting! But I do recommend this device to other teens/women who have heavy periods!"

Anonymous January 13, 2015

For Birth Control "I had the Mirena for 6 years, I loved it. The pros for me were no period at all just a little spotting every now and then, I did not have any pain at all. The only thing I have to say negative about it was that I did gain some weight and I had a very hard time losing weight with it, but I was ok with it. I guess it did not have to worry about getting pregnant it did its job. I just removed it 2 days ago and am just letting my period start up again."

Jcontreras25 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 5, 2015

For Birth Control "I feel like the people who say that they had a painful insertion are only the ones who have either never had a baby or never had cramps. When they put mine in it was only uncomfortable, not painful. There was some minor cramping afterwards, but I am noticing that I am struggling with losing weight. After my second child I was able to drop my weight pretty well, but now after my third and having this in it is really hard and I feel like I retain a lot of water. "

Andrea B December 31, 2014

For Birth Control "I'm on my second Mirena and I think it's great! The first one I got, took a long time to stop spotting.. I was frustrated and wanted it out. My doctor's office, suggested waiting, and giving it a chance. I'm really happy I listened! Each month, it got better. Those beginning days, are so far behind me now.. I haven't had any problems, at all.. Definitely worth it!"

Kimberley audrey December 29, 2014

For Birth Control "I have had the Mirena for almost three years now and love it. Insertion was not painful at all. Just a little uncomfortable. I bled for two months then my periods went back to normal. After a year they went away completely. I'm very thankful for that. I suffered from really bad menstrual cramps and severe mood swings. Once I got the Mirena my moods seemed to balance out. My cramps have disappeared. I have noticed even though I don't get a period I still get minor PMS symptoms. I would recommend this to any woman looking for a convenient birth control that works. Also I am glad it does not have estrogen in it. Some of the estrogen based birth control gives me migraines and causes me to be moody."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 29, 2014

For Birth Control "29 years old and two kids. I've had the Mirena since February 2013. I would recommend it but my only issue is I bleed for a day or two after sex. But not during so it's no problem with my husband and I."

Anonymous December 27, 2014

For Birth Control "I got Mirena inserted December 15, 2014 and I LOVE IT! I am 21 years old with no children. The insertion was very very painful. I bled and cramped the day of the insertion and day afterwards. So far, its been one week and I feel fantastic! "

MariG (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2014

For Birth Control "I'm 20yrs old, with one toddler. I read about this choice of birth control for weeks and finally got it today. The process wasn't to bad. Cramping at first and slight dizziness afterwards."

angelica20 December 18, 2014

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I had Mirena inserted on September 2. I had very heavy cycles that lasted 8 days. After getting Mirena my periods are much lighter, no more ultra tampons and overnight pads at the same time! My cycle is 5 days but only the first day is enough for a super tampon. I spot the rest and most of the days nothing! Insertion was horrible, my uterus is really high and is kind of hidden behind my what's called the G-spot. I would go through it again to have the cycle I have now. Side effects are Breast tenderness constantly and acne. Still love it!"

Sexycibby35 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2014

For Birth Control "I had Mirena inserted 5 months ago and am still having very heavy periods with horrible cramps. Periods are lasting about 3 weeks and then I only get a 2 week respite before it starts again. I've also gained quite a bit of weight these past 5 months. Thinking about having it removed. After reading and hearing others comments, I have noticed that those that have not had children are having more issues and side effects than the women that have had children."

gmbmw75mo December 13, 2014

For Birth Control "I had Mirena inserted 3 yrs ago. Only a little cramping after insertion, periods stop within 2 months, no acne but a little lower back pain and weight gain. Mirena is still worth it though. Very happy with this product."

Patchgurl86 December 13, 2014

For Birth Control "I just had the Mirena inserted yesterday. I'm 22 years old with no kids. The procedure was very painful. I felt nauseous afterwards and felt like I was gonna pass out during it. I had major cramping and bleeding for the rest of the day. Today I only have mild cramping and some spotting. So it seems to be getting better."

hfischer December 12, 2014

For Birth Control "Well I just had my first child at 25, never had tried birth control and I choose to go with Mirena to prevent pregnancy for 3 years. It has been about 7 months and I love I don't have to use condoms but I haven't been regular since I got it in.. it does effect my sex life, but I'm hoping that very soon I'll have no more periods. I do recommend it. I didn't have pain even though my doctor had little problem with putting it in but I felt little to no pressure and light spotting. So hopefully my period goes away and I don't get pregnant and I will give it a 10."

loks Momma December 11, 2014

For Birth Control "I got the Mirena inserted about 4 days ago on the first day of my period. Since I'm 19 I got it for free at a teen clinic! I experienced bad cramping with insertion because I have not had a child, but it was nothing I haven't felt before. I have a heavy menstrual flow so I bled and cramped a lot the first three days, but now it's day 5 and I am not even spotting at all. Obviously it's soon to tell if I'll have other symptoms or irregular bleeding but so far the process has been a breeze for me and I love my Mirena!"

youngandwildandfree (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2014

For Birth Control "Periods went away completely, Gained 15 lbs, nausea often, but did prevent pregnancy."

Newlywed3 December 8, 2014

For Birth Control "Just wanted to chime in a positive review for Mirena. I had the Mirena inserted in July of 2014. I did not think it was painful at all - just like an intense cramp for about 10 seconds, but I think everyone has a different body and a different pain tolerance. My gyno warned me that side effects take 3-6 months to go away. I randomly spotted for the first 2 months or so - not terrible, just annoying. The one side effect that I didn't like was that when my period would normally be happening, I wouldn't bleed, but I would get really light-headed/zoned out for a few days. I was a little worried by the second month that had happened (September 2014), but it never happened again. Mirena has been FANTASTIC since. No period/spotting, not pregnant."

Be patient! December 6, 2014

For Birth Control "I'm 25 years old,and I have always had painful heavy periods for as long as I can remember and after I had my first child (C-section ) my hormones were so messed up, I was hemorrhaging and ended up in the hospital. I tried every kind of birth control you can think of. Mirena was my last choice, since they wouldn't give me a hysterectomy because of my age. The procedure was the most painful experience. I guess since I haven't had intercourse in over a year, and didn't have a vaginal birth, my cervix has never been dilated. After 4 times trying to put the Mirena in, It was in. First day was absolutely terrible. But after that it was okay. Light spotting occasionally. Would recommend this to women who have had a vaginal birth."

Anon1989 (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2014

For Birth Control "12/14 Love It! I'm 36, have a Toddler and I am done having children. I was on birth control pills for years, but as I'm no longer having children Mirena is a great reversible (if you so choose). My doctor measured my uterus, cut to Mirena to size & Insertion took less than 2 minutes. A quick pinch & it was done. Your doctors skill & your body dictate the pain level, let's face it. I lightly cramped for a couple days afterward from my body acclimating, but otherwise, I have had zero issues. If you are looking for a long term birth control solution, Mirena is Fabulous! "

Me78 December 5, 2014