User Reviews for Mirena

7.3
Summary of Mirena reviews 773 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Mirena

Review by Tygerlili:

For Birth Control: I switched to this because I was tired of forgetting to take the pill, and had horrific side effects from the ring. I've used it for a couple years now. Pros: Most convenient method of birth control I've tried, since you don't have remember anything. My periods immediately became lighter, and stopped after about 6 months, very few emotional or sexual side effects that I've noticed. Cons: a little cramping and nausea in the first few months, a little weight gain in the beginning, but I lost it easily, painful when first inserted. Overall I am glad I chose this method.

July 30, 2013 7:07 PM

Review by asdfjkl;jkl;asdf (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I was unable to take oral birth control because I would never stop bleeding on the pill. I had a child and had the Mirena placed shortly after his birth. There was no pain at all. I did bleed continuously for 6 months which I had expected due to my previous birth control experiences. I've had the Mirena for 3 years and haven't had a period since the first 6 months! I've had an overall excellent experience with Mirena.

July 22, 2013 10:20 AM

Review by Jcrp23:

I had Mirena inserted April 2011 6 months after I gave birth to my first child & still have it today. To avoid periods, birth contraceptive without weight gain it really works & highly recommend it for that. Otherwise, I just recently started experiencing the bad side effects which makes me think about removing it. Since a couple months ago, I first started bleeding which seemed like my period, & since then it's been non-stop but gradually turns darker, so now I have continuous brown discharge. Every time I sit on the toilet, I have to wait a couple minutes until the brown discharge comes out. Secondly, I've been having really bad mood swings. There's no in between. Either I'm happy or I'm so frustrated, it's really bad to be around me.

July 19, 2013 1:48 PM

Review by Ellie1387:

For Birth Control: I had Mirena inserted about 4 months ago. I have given birth once and my fiance and I decided we were done having children for now. The procedure didn't take very long. I took some naproxen about an hr before my appointment for pain. It was a little uncomfortable and accompanied by mild cramping afterwards and for the next few days. So far I've still had my period every month. There's no heavy bleeding and I barely have any cramping if any at all. So far the experience has been good and it seems to work well.

July 16, 2013 5:26 AM

Review by jess6587:

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I'm almost 24 and have had Mirena for over 1 year now. I am SO glad I was not scared away by all the negative reviews. Sure, insertion hurt just a tiny bit, but it was about 5 seconds of a strong pinching feeling (due to an unusually sharp curve in my uterus) then a few hours of cramp pain, exactly the same as period cramps. If you can handle a monthly period you can EASILY handle Mirena's insertion! Since I've been using Mirena, my formerly wildly irregular periods have eventually diminished to a day or 2 of extremely light spotting (1 pantyliner is more than enough) every 2 - 3 months. I have not experienced weight gain, acne, or diminished libido, & my sex life is as good as ever!

July 13, 2013 5:05 PM

Review by ChocolateA (taken for less than 1 month):

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I am 40. I had to change my birth control pills when I got 40. They weren't strong enough for me because I bled real heavy and for 7 days and every other week. So I decided to let my OB/GYN insert the Mirena which she had tried to get me to get before trying those lighter birth control pills. Its only been a week but I love not having to think about taking pill. Also I was on my period when it was inserted, my period became light the same day and was for three days. For me the placement was a 3 on a scale of 1-10 with pain. But my cervix is push far back & to the side and they had to pull it towards them to place it and that pain was a 7. So far no regrets only wish I had did it sooner.

July 1, 2013 7:31 PM

Review by JennyAshley:

For Birth Control: I have never had kids and am not in a position to have kids any time soon. Mirena was a perfect solution. Having it inserted hurt like hell but only for a few seconds and then I had a good 2 months of on and off cramping but its been a year and a half and so far and I love it. I really don't get a period anymore which is amazing considering how heavy my periods were before. Best thing ever in my opinion.

June 28, 2013 1:52 AM

Review by Brebre13:

For Birth Control: I'm 18 with no children and had Mirena inserted about 3 weeks ago. The procedure was pretty painful for me but it went quick and no tears so I got through that. I got right up and continued on the cramping, started instantly and was pretty intense, so I took something for it and called it a day early. I got the Mirena inserted for regulation of my period, and because I'm leaving for college and am aware that my schedule will get hectic so I wanted new source of birth control (I've been on the pill since 12/13 yrs old) . I haven't had any other symptoms besides cramping. I rarely cramped before so this cramping to me is intense. They usually aren't continuous cramps, in and out something like a spasm.

June 14, 2013 12:33 PM

For Birth Control: I've had Mirena for a little over a year and absolutely love it. I'm in my early 20s and was hesitant to start other forms of birth control because it is hard for me to remember to take pills and I was worried about the weight gain. I've had no weight gain on Mirena and no extremely noticeable side effects. It was slightly painful to get inserted and I bled lightly for a few months afterwards but once that stopped it's been great. I tend to have spotting or a light period for one or two days every couple months but that's it. It's great and so convenient.

June 11, 2013 11:52 PM

Review by Heso (taken for less than 1 month):

After deciding on having the Mirena procedure and reading so many other people's reviews before having it done, I was totally confused. After suffering from extremely heavy periods for many years I decided to see my doctor who referred me to the gynecologist at the local public hospital. After discovering that I have had four children all through c-section, he suggested maybe having a local anesthetic. I booked in for the procedure three weeks later and got a different gyneocologist who examined me and said I wouldn't need the local anesthetic. He was right. The procedure from start to finish took between 1-2 minutes and was completely painless & free. The best way to describe the procedure is it's just like having a pap smear.

June 10, 2013 10:42 PM

Review by MorganLea:

For Birth Control: I am 21 and have not had children yet. My husband and I thought Mirena was a good idea because we want to wait a few years to conceive since I am in college still, and we want to be more settled before we start trying. Well I was nervous about the procedure, which was pretty painful but all I said was woah! No tears or anything so it wasn't THAT bad. However, since I have had Mirena (4 months) I have had heavy cramping (like if I stand up I get lightheaded and the pain is almost unbearable) and unpredictable periods with light to really, really heavy bleeding. I am going to give it 2 more months, however my husband is seriously encouraging me to have it taken out since he hates seeing me in intense pain regularly.

May 22, 2013 2:08 PM

Review by Kawasaki girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I have not had a single bad experience thus far with Mirena. I had it inserted about 10 months ago right after work. The whole "procedure," start to finish, took about 15 minutes, and was only slightly painful. It was done by a nurse practitioner, who was reportedly more experienced than any of the other physicians at the practice. Another ten minutes to catch my breath and I rode my motorcycle home with no issues. I am in my early 20s and have never given birth. My periods immediately lightened up until they became virtually non-existent. Very little cramping, easily taken care of by ibuprofen. I can still maintain my intense work-out schedule, lifting, cardio, abs, stretching included, with no fear of dislodging.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 22, 2013 1:40 PM

Review by Nikki1418150810:

For Birth Control: I had the Mirena for 5 years. It was awesome. Light periods, only had to use panty liners for a couple days. I had it taken out after the 5 years were up and within 5 weeks I found out I was pregnant! (Which was my intention) doctors do recommend letting your body have a few normal periods after removal if you are trying to get pregnant. Nearly miscarried 3 times with severe bleeding and had pre-eclampsia but don't think that had anything to do with the Mirena.

May 21, 2013 9:06 PM

Review by Aly234:

For Birth Control: I got the mirena in yesterday and it was a breeze. The docs wanted me to do Skyla because its smaller, (but I wanted longer protection). I haven't had a child, and I've actually had more pain during a pap smear with a nurse. Trick is to find a doctor that has done hundreds of intrauterine device procedures. My doctor has done over 1,000 and the whole thing took less than 2 min and caused little to no cramping! I was so scared that it was going to make me scream but I didn't make a peep. So far so good. I expect to buy some Proactive and be extra mindful of carbohydrate intake so I don't gain weight.

May 17, 2013 10:48 AM

Review by Anon40:

For Birth Control: I am a 40 year old, who has never given birth and I had the Mirena placed 3 months ago, to try to alleviate very heavy menstrual bleeding. The insertion was quite painful, but only lasted a few hours. I did bleed for about a week afterwards. I've had my period every month since, but I do not need to use tampons. Am hoping that within the next 2-3 months, it will get even lighter. I still have some cramping, but nothing compared to before the insertion. I have read lots of comments with bad experiences, but I guess this is not for everyone.

May 16, 2013 6:35 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I had the Mirena removed today after 4 years. I have had stomach pains forever and kept going to the doctor saying something was wrong. They did test after test and found nothing. I was convinced that it was the Mirena, then my doctor asked me if they put it in when I was on a cycle and I said no so she was determined it was the Mirena as well because they are supposed to put it in on a cycle. I loved that I didn't break out and my periods were light but I couldn't take the stomach pain anymore.

May 7, 2013 12:50 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: LOVE LOVE LOVE Mirena! I was on the pill for 6 years, which killed my sex drive. And after a while started giving me migraines, which became more and more frequent with time. Now with Mirena I am migraine-free! So nice not having to worry about either migraines OR taking a pill everyday since I am a busy medical student working crazy hours in the hospital. I knew it was time to switch and I'm so glad I did!

May 7, 2013 10:43 AM

Review by Britt (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I was really frightened to get Mirena after reading some of the awful reviews. However, it has been a good experience so far. I have had it for about a week. I was told about the spotting and I have only had a little one day. I had absolutely no stomach cramping after a couple of hours after it was put in, but you must take about 5 Aleve before and after. The worst part was when they put it in. It wasn't bad until they dilated my cervix, and let me say, if that's what childbirth feels like, I'm scared. That lasted for about 45 seconds and then was over. Overall, I've had a pretty good experience. Everyone is different, but I am amazed at how little side effects I've had.

May 6, 2013 1:25 PM

Review by GardenGirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I am a 47 year old female. I tried the birth control pill and it raised my blood pressure too high. My GYN suggested Mirena. I read the reviews and warnings and was nervous but agreed. It has been over 6 months and here is my take; 1. Having it put in was ridiculously easy and not worth any concern 2. Very pleased with not worrying about pregnancy. 3. Periods are normal but extremely light. 4. Some cramping after sex - some light bleeding after sex. No biggy. 5. Had to have the strings cut shorter for my partner - he cannot even notice it now. 6. The only downside I have had is an increase in acne AND on the days I get my period I am very moody (I never had this before so I know it is a side effect). 7. Cost 100.00

May 6, 2013 5:45 AM

Review by Brittany89:

For Birth Control: I am 23, and I have had Mirena for the past 5 yrs. It was placed in a month after my son was born and I now have gotten it removed and a new one inserted! I LOVED it the first time I occasionally spotted but rarely more than 1 day. The reinsertion was a different discomfort then what I experienced the 1st time. I have had A LOT of cramping, even in my legs. Hopefully it doesn't last.

April 16, 2013 10:44 PM

Review by Anonymous 887:

For Birth Control: I have had Mirena twice. The first time was after my 2nd child. During the insertion I had 2 small cramps that did not last long. When it was all done I had no cramping and no bleeding for a year. I had it removed because I was going to try and be a surrogate for my aunt. Sadly it didn't happen. But I was blessed with my very own baby boy later on. I had Mirena inserted again after my son's birth. This time I had a little more cramping during the procedure. Afterwards I bled heavy for 10 days with mild cramping. I had a week of nothing than another 10 days of random bleeding. Now it's been about 3 months since the procedure and I have not had any bleeding but I do get lots of cramps and I am having a hard time losing weight.

April 16, 2013 10:13 AM

Review by joela (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I had a Mirena placed 2 years ago for heavy periods. I was 38 at the time, and it had been 16 years since my last child. The doctor said it can maybe more painful, the longer you wait after having children, However, I had no pain with insertion. I had some cramping for a few days, as well as spotting, after 6 months, my period stopped completely. I have NO issues with Mirena, from extremely heavy periods to none and I didn't have to get a hysterectomy I would recommend it.

April 15, 2013 4:39 PM

Review by Aiydan's Mom (taken for less than 1 month):

For Birth Control: I just got my mirena inserted yesterday and so far I feel fine. I am 20, and I have a son. The insertion wasn't very painful, though the cramps afterward were a little uncomfortable (nothing that some ibuprofen can't fix). My husband and I haven't had sex yet so I don't know if it'll affect us yet. Still bleeding a little, but nothing serious. I don't know if this review was helpful, but I'll definitely give an update within the next 6 months.

April 3, 2013 7:26 PM

Review by MB-First Months Experience (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I was lucky, and was having another procedure done at the same time, so I was under anesthesia when they inserted mine, and I didn't experience the pain of insertion that some have described. My body is confused though, because I was supposed to start my period the week after, and I had just had a D&C for a biopsy, (Which was benign, yay!) So my body tried to have a period, I experienced intense angry mood swings. I saw others had experienced that on Mirena. Very little bleeding, a little more intense cramping, but Advil took care of it. Mood swings passed after first couple of days, now I am back to normal. You can feel the string if you search for it in there, but my partner doesn't notice it during intercourse. I will update in 6mths.

March 21, 2013 2:40 PM

Review by MsLisa33 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: I am 47 years old...I had my Mirena removed today after 5yrs. The removal was easy & painless. I had a really good experience with this method of Birth Control. However my sex drive was very low and I experienced minor contractions (that's what I call them) they were more intense than cramps, nothing that a couple of Motrin couldn't handle. After the second year my period completely stopped, I still had PMS but no bleeding for the next 3 yrs. I'm taking a break trying the pill again for 3 months any problems I will not hesitate to have another Mirena inserted.

March 19, 2013 3:48 PM