Pill Identifier App

7.2
Summary of Mirena reviews 726 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Mirena

Review by Missydreamcatcher:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: 19, never had kids, been with one partner my entire life, I know everyone's experiences= different but reading posts none sound much like my experience. I've never had a device inserted except for Implanon in the arm which was a breeze, but getting Mirena was the most painful thing I have ever experienced in my life. I almost fainted while leaving, the entire day I had severe cramping. I was going to remove it, but went to ER an got pain meds instead. I had spotting the 1st day, but that's it. I've had it 2 weeks now and I still have the cramping, some days worse then others I really hope it stops. Breasts hurt. Other then that everything else is fine.

January 26, 2013 6:09 PM
Review by Dajah (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I'm 19 with 2 kids I decided to get the Mirena because I didn't want anymore children. Insertion was just a little pinch and cramping for a whole day. Here I am now 6 months later and very much satisfied. After insertion I had my period for 3 weeks straight. Now I spot every now and then but not very much. I'm happy with my decision to get the Mirena and once the 5 years are up I do want another one!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 21, 2013 11:23 AM
Review by Not so happy: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I am 56 and had the Mirena inserted 4 years ago because I'd had heavy continuous bleeding for months. It was Mirena or surgery. The insertion was extremely painful, but the bleeding stopped almost completely within a couple of weeks. I had lots of problems with the strings "stabbing" me in the vagina for almost the entire first year. I finally went to a different doctor who trimmed about 3&1/2 inches of string. Haven't had any problem since. I have not enjoyed sex since it was inserted, I lost a lot of hair, gained 20 pounds within the first six months, and have had to take anti depressants daily. I never had problems with depression before. But hey - no more bleeding.

January 18, 2013 2:15 PM
Review by KayG1295: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Had the 5 year Mirena put in two weeks ago. The procedure took 10 minutes at max and was as simple as a pap smear. In totality, I probably experienced 10 seconds of pain from start to finish. I took 800mg of Ibuprofen an hour prior to the procedure and did not experience cramping of any sort afterwards. I think the ibuprofen made a difference because my doctor said that patients usually experience discomfort. I have a retroverted uterus and it didn't make the procedure any more difficult than it was. Haven't experience any side effects besides some minor spotting. Would definitely recommend.

January 18, 2013 11:46 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I love my Mirena. I'm due in February to take it out because my 5 years are up. It did not bother me at all to get it inserted. It was pretty easy, I had minor cramps after. I got it because I had gotten pregnant at 16 and had my daughter at 17. I got it because I knew my boyfriend and I were not ready for another child. On top of that from the moment I got my period it was hell. I got my period a month after insertion and ever since then it's been a smooth ride. I haven't had a period since and definitely have not gotten pregnant again. I guess its true when they say everybody takes differently to it. So come February I plan on getting it again for another 5 years. I'm one happy customer.

January 14, 2013 4:11 PM
Review by Mirena user: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Hello everyone, I have had my Mirena for 5 weeks now and I guess everyone's body responds to medication differently. Mine was inserted due to heavy bleeding and removal of a polyp within my uterus that had caused even more heavy PROLONGED bleeding. I have had 3 children so I felt no pain during insertion but mild cramping after insertion that lasted the rest of the evening that I cured with Aleve. 3 days after insertion I begin to have mild spotting that only required the use of a panty liner but quickly turned into heavy bleeding that lasted 2 weeks then all of sudden stopped as quickly as it came. I am happy to say no problem since, no side effects, would recommend Mirena to my friends & family. I will do it all over again.

January 5, 2013 3:37 PM
Review by I love my Mirena!: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I got the Mirena 8 weeks after having my second child, at 24 years old. Having it placed was not bad; no cramping or bleeding, and my periods stopped completely. Since the age of 13, my periods were agonizing; migraines, vomiting, diarrhea, back & leg cramps & was going through tampons, etc., like crazy! So, just the fact that Mirena eliminated them for me was a miracle in itself. I also happen to have always had a problem gaining weight; though it wasn't a huge change, I gained 20 lbs after the first 3 years of getting the Mirena! I also noticed my acne disappeared, my hair started growing faster and thicker and I went up a full breast size! If there ever was a completely satisfied customer, it'd be me!

January 4, 2013 11:17 AM
Review by Tara Renee (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I thought I'd throw a positive review out there. I've read so many negative ones. I'm 19 years old. I've never had children, so getting it put in wasn't very pleasant, but not terrible. I got the Mirena because I was bleeding for almost a year straight, very heavily. The only negative side-effects I've had so far are bloating, cramps, and moodiness, but they went away after a week or so. I've had no weight gain whatsoever. I've actually lost a few pounds...Yay! My sex drive has actually gone nuts (in a good way), and my periods have stopped! That's the main thing I'm happy about. I was tired of bleeding all the time. I'd recommend the Mirena to anyone.

January 1, 2013 2:14 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I have had the Mirena for over four years now its due to come out August 2013 and I have had a lot of downs than I do up's from it. I have had longer periods actually, they have lasted up to 14 days I have experience some bloating not much though and my sex drive is low. The most irritating thing would be my pelvic pains I have on and off from it. The one good thing I can say about it is very simply procedure and once in you don't have to worry about taking a pill every day.

December 26, 2012 2:22 PM
Review by Texas87 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel): I had the Mirena put in about 6 weeks after I had my daughter. I had no problems with the procedure. I did however have some pretty heavy periods for a few months after. I kept it in for 5 years and about 7 months ago, I got my second Mirena placed in. Again, no issues with the procedure. I have not had any issues with it so far and I'm in my 6th year of having the Mirena. I recommend it for sure!

December 23, 2012 5:17 PM
Review by Ms. Marinez: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I'm 24 yrs old. I got the Mirena after giving birth to my daughter who is now almost 3 yrs old. My husband and I used to have a great sex life but it all ended after getting this birth control. Mirena is very effective preventing pregnancies however this is the side effect that I've experienced.

December 17, 2012 1:31 AM
Review by KODAWG (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I got my Mirena when I was 18 just over a year ago! I got it because I was in a relationship and I knew I was not ready to take the risk of getting pregnant. My boyfriend was getting ready to join the Military and I was getting ready for work & college. When I was getting my Mirena inserted it hurt a little & after that I had cramping. (So make sure you take ibuprofen or Advil. They will probably offer it to you. If not ask!. I was never put on any other birth control and I love it. The first 4 months were pretty bad. I had my period on & off & a lot of cramping. Nothing some Advil couldn't fix. The reason I got Mirena is because I've seen a lot of my friends get pregnant & also my parents were teen moms. I know I am not ready to be a mother yet.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 13, 2012 2:53 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I love Mirena. I had it put in about a month or so ago and I have not had any problems with it. There has been some mild spotting maybe 2 times a week and only in the morning and it only lasts for about an hour. I have an increased libido, and it is nice to not have to remember to take a pill every single night. I work at an OBGYN clinic as a medical assistant and I would say that it is one of our top birth controls prescribed. We put a Mirena in our patients at least 2 times a week. I love it. It is amazing.

December 11, 2012 4:28 PM
Review by mrs.tackett88: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I don't have anything bad to really say about Mirena, I don't have periods I don't have mood swings or any type of side effects when it was first put in I only lightly cramped that day and that was it. The only thing that I have had an issue with that most women wouldn't mind is I have lost weight. So far I have lost 27 pounds I have had it in for 10 months now and went from a size 12 to a size 2.

December 7, 2012 12:17 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I just went to my doctor and had my second Mirena put in. The last five years of having Mirena has been good. I still had my periods, but very light and only lasting a few days. My sex life was great and I didn't get pregnant. Also, I'm 32 and have two kids. I decided because Mirena works for me to keep on continuing it. The removal of the old one and placement of the new one was a little painful, but after an hour I felt great. I'm looking forward to the next five years.

December 7, 2012 1:11 AM
Review by rachel4358 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I just had my Mirena inserted today, I wanted to get a positive review about the insertion out there. I'm 21 & have been on Loestrin Fe for the past 5 months, & Sprintec for a year & a half before that. I have never had children or been pregnant. They prescribed me Misoprostal to take the night before to open up my cervix & I took 800mg Ibuprofen half an hour before the appointment. First she measured my cervix & then inserted the Mirena. Both felt like bad period cramps, more uncomfortable than painful. I've had mild cramps throughout the day, nothing Ibuprofen can't fix. I have no idea if it will work or how my body will take it, but the insertion went smoothly.

December 6, 2012 7:41 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I love Mirena. I am 20, and have no children, but I had it inserted about a year and a half ago now. The insertion process was quite painful, and I had cramps the rest of the day. But since then, I have not had a period, or even any spotting. The only down side is that I have gained about 25 lbs, but with some strict dieting the weight is starting to come off slowly. Overall, I love it!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 6, 2012 2:25 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Personally, I feel that the insertion is more about the anticipation. It definitely hurts, but it's really really not that bad..it is over so quick! I've had it for a month now and have had a period for the last 2.5 weeks (it started out as spotting first). Cramps almost every day, but they are going away. I am confident this will pass. I will say I was really moody the first week (not sure if that was from feeling achy/anxious about it). No weight gain. No skin changes. Still have my sex drive. No pain during sex. Overall really happy (I haven't had kids!).

December 3, 2012 7:08 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Absolutely wonderful experience with my Mirenas - I'm now on number two! No periods, no mood swings, no lethargy, I just feel in great health. If you are wondering if the Mirena is for you, I recommend trying it. It seriously changed my life - I now *have* a life rather than being hostage to my hormones!

December 2, 2012 12:42 PM
Review by Alejandra B.: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: After giving birth I was looking for a birth control that would let me breast feed without any problems, my OB suggested Mirena which made me a bit nervous because of the mix reviews I read. Finally I decided to get it, the insertion was not painful at all ( maybe because I had just giving birth) I did feel a little bit of cramping that day and the following, but nothing major. I've had it for three months now and I have not had any side effects. My period is very light now, no weight gain, headache or mood swings and most important no acne, that I have had problems with in the past. I am very happy with Mirena so far, I hope this helps.

November 29, 2012 7:56 PM
Review by ProsMii (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Hello everyone! I just want to share some experience with the use of Mirena. I have had it for almost 6 months. I was recommended by my healthcare provider of this option since it is safe and suit with my situation. I am 27 years old now and have no kids. In the process of putting it in, it was very painful since I have never had kids, so my cervix is not as wide as ones who did. I had bad cramps for about a week and period for almost a month. Since then, I have some spotting as well as cramps. The cramp is not as bad as I used to have when I was on period. I don't think I have other side effects such as acne or weight gain. I recommend it to you. To me, it is more of psychological fix! Worry free!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 29, 2012 12:20 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: I didn't know anything about Mirena except that it was a little T-shaped piece of plastic that lasts for 5 years. So I chose to get it. I've had slight occasional cramping and rare bleeding that's very light and only lasts a few hours when it does occur. I've had it in for about 2 1/2 years. The only scary thing is reading the horror stories all these women have about it. I have had no problems since it's insertion aside from terrible cramping for about a half hour while my cervix adjusted to it once it was put in. I know that as long as nothing bad ends up happening that I'll be having it replaced once my 5 years is up. I love Mirena.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 28, 2012 7:24 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have had my Mirena for almost 5 years now and I have enjoyed a significantly lighter flow, continued regularity with no exception. It has changed my life! Pre-Mirena would have me feeling nervous to go out in public during my cycle as at some times, my flow would be unmanageable. I am now premenopausal and considering another one for the next five years

November 23, 2012 3:00 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: Thank you for these reviews. Finally I realize that I am not crazy. I have had the Mirena for almost two years. Insertion was almost painless and at first everything was wonderful. Slowly I have noticed awful side effects. Mood swings, hot flashes, panic attacks, left arm swollen, insomnia, and too many more to count. I have been to the hospital on four separate occasions thinking I was having a heart attack, turns out it is stress from all the other health problems. I am having this removed. I hope everything returns to normal soon.

November 15, 2012 8:23 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Mirena (levonorgestrel) for Birth Control: We ladies have to remember that all our bodies compositions are different. I will have to rate this a 10 because it is doing its job. I got it placed no later than 2 months ago and I am no longer bleeding. I was spotting for the entire time from placement until up until a week ago. The draw backs are that my partner can feel the strings and he says they stick him and since I have stopped bleeding I have had symptoms of pregnancy. I guess its my body reacting to no period. I have been sleeping none stop, back pain, head aches from being tired all the time and hungry pains. I don't want to have any more children so I think I will get my tubes tied.

November 13, 2012 11:55 PM