Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 205 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

Review by Don't be scared (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm so glad I didn't read these reviews before getting the iud inserted---I would have been terrified! Everyone is saying how it's so painful....umm? No. I'd say minor discomfort for a few seconds and that's it. I've had a little spotting since it was inserted but nothing crazy.

May 4, 2015 3:19 PM

Review by dawn mom of 3 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I had it put in about two years ago after my 3 rd kid. I was pleased with it at first but now I have noticed extreme hair thinning, low to no sex drive and gained about 10lbs I can't seem to lose. Calling tomorrow to have it yanked. My hubby is fixed so I can do it with out worry.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 3, 2015 3:46 PM

Review by Anonymous1111111:

I had mirena inserted July of 2014. The insertion was extremely painful for me and I tend to take menstrual pretty well. The only pro for me was not having to think about birth control. Everything else was sadly a con. My periods did not become lighter, my cramps did not get less painful. I had a regular heavy period every month since July. Finally yesterday was when I reached my breaking point. I started my period 3 days ago and the cramps were excruciating. My gyno was able to see me and it turns out my body was trying to explell the iud and it was pushing on my uterus. Needless to say, out it came which I truly didn't feel. Can't wait to start any other birth control again. The acne I've gotten since July has been just horrible also.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 29, 2015 11:48 AM

Review by Greysonsmommy:

I've had the Mirena for about a week now, and having it put in was not painful, there was discomfort but no pain. I did cramp pretty bad afterwards but only after I had it done. I haven't had any since and no bleeding since. I really like it so far and I hope I continue to do so

April 28, 2015 10:40 AM

Review by ReviewM (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I have had the Mirena for almost a year, The doctor I had was amazing and explained it perfectly to. Worse pain for about one second and a break and then even worse pain for about 1 more second. You can seriously count to 1 and it's over. I am someone that got extreme cramps before, and my cramping was bad first three months I spotted and cramped and hated it! But my bf (a doctor) told me to give it three months then decide so I did! And I'm very happy I did. My only concern is I've gained 45 lbs since the insertion, I'm not sure at this point why? 4 months now I have changed my diet and work with a personal trainer 3-5 times a week. Fingers crossed I get my body back!!

April 28, 2015 9:39 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am totally happy with getting mine done! I have not had a period at all since getting it done in January 2015. I would recommend you having pains meds readily available before and after getting it done. It does hurt. I have some cramping every once in a while. But totally love it!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2015 10:20 PM

Review by DMunz (taken for less than 1 month):

I got the mirena 3 days ago and I've had nothing but pain ever since. It's not severe pain, but bad cramps that don't go away, even with advil. The insertion was SUPER painful and seemed to take forever, but that could have been because I had to get it done at a "teaching" clinic and the guy didn't know what he was doing. I'm 28, no kids. I like the idea of an IUD but I just don't know if it's for me.

April 25, 2015 1:30 PM

Review by Alexa G.:

I opted to get Mirena after my birth control pills caused my high blood pressure. The shot made me gain weight and really did a number on my bones. Implanon was just a disaster and I was running out of options. I was a little reserved since I have not had children, and I knew the risks and side effects.I have not had children and I have a small cervix. These factors made the insertion very painful. I almost jumped off the table in pain, and I almost passed out. I lost feeling in my hands and was dripping sweat. I was given pain medication after the procedure, but I did get sick about an hour afterwards. I threw up as soon as I got home. I bled and was uncomfortable for a week or so and then it stopped. So far, I have not had any problems.

April 24, 2015 4:53 PM

Review by Mama_Ftuna (taken for less than 1 month):

So I had the mirena inserted 4/1/15. I have a 3 month old son. The pain was horrible. Took the doc a few times to get it placed correctly. After the insertion, I didn't have any cramping or bleeding for abt 4 days. On 4/5/15, I started bleeding heavily. It's was heavy for abt 3 days and now it's light. I'm STILL bleeding. I'm starting to have cramping now. I don't think I like it so I'm considering having it removed and trying something different.

April 24, 2015 4:00 PM

Review by chip10:

I had Mirena inserted 8 weeks after my daughter was born, it hurt to get it inserted. I had spotting for 3 to 6 months then nothing, I had it for 3 years then had it removed, removal was easy, it didn't hurt and a light period then nothing for 6 weeks then bam period. Loved it. Just wish it didn't throw off my period.

April 22, 2015 11:40 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I am kind of upset at the negativity that I have seen posted: bad acne, cramps, wt gain, low sex drive...all of which I was afraid of. However, I admit that I have been breaking out a bit more but I started washing my face twice daily and it has subsided a lot better with occasional breakouts. I was told in the past that chin acne is due to hormones. My cramps are bad only when I spot (only happens once in a while) I'm not saying they are comfy, but are better than before I was ever on a birth control tabs, I believe that I have actually lost weight, not due to mirena, but due to work, etc. You need to stay active anyways, so who can really say that it's the bc? However, I do believe that the nuva ring caused mine. My sex drive is actually increased too:)

April 21, 2015 11:39 PM

Review by CBack (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've had the Mirena for about two months and I couldn't be happier. Insertion was painful, but it only lasted a couple of minutes. No side effects, no babies!

April 21, 2015 8:41 PM

Review by heatherlayne:

I got Mirena put in a few months ago after having tried implanon and several birth control pills which all left me with serious emotional side effects. The procedure was very fast but was incredibly painful. I was given two vicodin and a valium and it was still so bad that I was crying and clutching the nurse's hand, so I would highly recommend anyone who gets it to be put out for it which is what my aunt did when she had it done. The pain ended immediately after but the next two weeks felt like having a very bad period with cramping and slight bleeding on and off. Since, it has all stopped with only mild spotting here and there and no emotional or other side effects. Would recommend!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2015 1:07 PM

Review by MarsB (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've had mirena for over a month (inserted 7 weeks ago). I was worried about insertion, but honestly did not feel a thing. I spotted for about a month, 10 of those days I needed more than a panty liner. Since then spotting has stopped and husband cannot feel strings at all.

April 20, 2015 4:17 AM

Review by KimZ:

I just had Mirena inserted a week ago. I WAS TERRIFIED from reading all of the painful sounding reviews. But I followed through because I really do not like BC pills. I have to say it was NOT that bad! I took 4 Advil an hour before. Sure it was uncomfortable and bad cramping but it only lasted a few minutes. I had no cramping after the procedure but cramps later that night, similar to a bad period which I am used to. Mild cramps every now and then for the rest of the week. Spotting the first two days but nothing since then. I obviously haven't had it long enough to report side effects but will report back soon. I think everyone responds to IUDs differently and people like to write their horror stories. So far so good, hope it continues!

April 19, 2015 5:29 PM

Review by Ngerard11:

Well I've had the mirena for about 2 months. I'm 22, no kids. I have tried different pills but I was horrible about remembering. The insertion of the mirena was really painful. I have had kidney stones and insertion wasn't quite as bad as that. After 2 days of horrible cramping it went away. After 3 weeks of spotting/ bleeding I stopped and have not had any period since. I do have cramps sometimes. I have not gained or lost any weight. No hair loss. No changes in acne. The only thing I've noticed is that I now have lots of little fine hairs all over my chin and side of my face. Way more than before. Not a huge deal, but annoying. My boyfriend can not feel it at all and my sex drive is the same. So far I love it.

April 19, 2015 10:38 AM

Review by zjamai (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I just got my second Mirena inserted today - I will seriously never do anything else. I've tried other methods (patch, NuvaRing, pill) and nothing compares to Mirena if you want longer-term birth control! Yes, it is fairly painful upon insertion, but it lasts for only about 40 seconds max, but it is so worth it! Both time I didn't have bleeding or cramping afterwards. My first time I didn't even have spotting, my periods just completely stopped for all 5 years. I am crossing my fingers for the same this time! I never had weight gain and my skin was amazingly clear. For those who are interested in low-maintenance, long-term birth control, I cannot recommend Mirena more!

April 17, 2015 4:32 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I just got my first IUD put in Mar 17/15 and the insertion was pain free because I was frozen but afterword’s was quit painful. I'm 40 with no children. Pain went away after about 6 hours. 1st week I had no spotting but cramps every day. 2nd week got my period, it was a little more painful then normal but then again I have endo so they are always painful and heavy, lasted regular 10 days. Now going into week 5 no bleeding but am still getting cramps every day. I haven’t noticed any mood changes. Hoping the cramping goes away soon. Thanks god for Advil! For the first 2 week I lived in track pants as I couldn’t wear anything tight because it would bring on the cramps. Happy so far as I hated taken the pill so hoping month 2 things get better.

April 17, 2015 8:36 AM

Review by ARenee118 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I had the Mirena inserted at my 6-week postpartum check up in August 2014. The procedure was easy, no worse than any other OB/GYN experience. The first couple of months, my period was abnormal but eventually I had little to no periods at all (which is typical). The only negatives I have about Mirena is that it does hurt sometimes during sex if the intercourse gets a little intense. Also, I am completely convinced that it is the cause of my weight gain. I had lost all of my pregnancy weight and plus some before I had it put in. Since having Mirena, I have gained 40 pounds.

April 16, 2015 10:32 PM

Review by SAMommy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I had the Mirena put in after the pill failed again and my second child was born. It's worry free - also stopped my horrible cramps I used to have and my recurring ovarian cysts. Negative side though, zero sex drive. But I would rather have that than the chance of falling pregnant again.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2015 1:38 PM

Review by newtomirena (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Had Mirena inserted about 4 months ago. Although periods are milder there is spotting frequently throughout the month. Sex drive has decreased dramatically and have gained close to 12 lbs. I feel no discomfort with the Mirena IUD, however am disappointed by the side effects considering at 40 metabolism has already slowed down so this does not help.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 14, 2015 8:28 AM

Review by Aashley (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I was on paragard for a year because of the no hormones,but I couldn't deal with the pain.The cramps were unbareable,and my periods lasted 7 days and were so heavy,Id have to use a super tampon PLUS a large pad .I switched to mirena, hearing the pain was a lot less & could shorten periods. Almost a year later,I haven't gained a pound like I was so afraid of because of hormones.I've even been able to lose a few pounds! My period has also gone from heavy and 7 days long to 3 days and so light I only use panty liners; I don't even buy tampons. Negative parts: Ive gotten a few more zits every time my period comes around after being on mirena & still get horrible cramps, but definitely not as often: 1/2 days instead of weeks at a time. love it!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2015 5:59 PM

Review by chelbells:

I've had my mirena IUD in for about two months and I couldn't be happier. Getting it in was more painful than I expected and I had fairly intense cramping for about twelve hours afterward. By the next day I was at 100% and have had very few side effects. The spotting can be annoying, but my regular period has stopped entirely and my doctor says the spotting will stop soon. I wish I had done it earlier!

April 13, 2015 9:27 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

The pain of insertion was huge and I've had lots going on down there with a few cysts and surgery and stuff and this was the worst. Also, no one tells you about the blood from the insertion itself. There was a lot of blood, all over the place. My doctor said it was normal which I'm sure it was, but there was quite a bit, like the floor and the wall and the bed. I have now been bleeding for over two weeks and have had a lot of cramping. I've felt like shit, bad headaches, tired and everything. Not fun given it's end of school year...I have to agree with someones former remark, it's so effective at birth control because you really just don't want sex and all the blood. My husband has not been happy.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2015 9:54 AM

Review by Pga1084 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Got Mirena inserted on 02/04/2015. I'm 30, with no pregnancies. I was on Beyaz for three years and the last few months I was spotting daily. My insurance covered it but only through reimbursement so I didn't have $ to pay for it out-of-pocket. I found a doctor who was part of a federal program where I only paid $175 for the insertion. Insertion felt like a rough Pap. The awful cramps started right after i got up. I bled like a regular period for 3 days and the cramps were the worst I've had in my life. No discomfort during sex. It is now 04/12/2015 and I've had one period where I only had to use pantyliners b/c it's so light. No more cramps. I love this for me but it definitely isn't for everyone. Just make your research ladies!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate