User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 233 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

"I had Mirena inserted in August of 2015. Because I have no kids, it was quite painful but not unbearable to have it inserted. The pain only last a brief moment during insertion. Afterwards I did find myself with menstrual cramps for weeks afterwards, maybe for the first month. I did however see a huge reduction in my amount of monthly bleeding. After a few months it would be just drops, not even enough to fill a panty liner. I do find that I still may get the cramps, but not always the bleeding. I tend to spot from time to time around my period time, but it's extremely light and short. Overall I do like having it and it's much better than the patch and ring which I've used in the past. I like it because I don't have to do anything extra."

Lady803 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2016

"Insertion itself is not very painful, and it's over quickly. The pain I experienced was during the manual dilation, which did make me nearly pass out. The nurse said that was my body's reaction to dilation, and is not uncommon. After 20 minutes or so to recover, I went home. Cramping and spotting for the rest of the day, and occasional cramping for the following week. Cramping was significantly better on days after evening work outs. My partner cannot feel the strings during sex, and I have no idea that the IUD is there. There is no reason for me to believe that I should begin to have more side effects down the road, because a few weeks in all spotting and cramping has subsided."

E Jane April 29, 2016

"I got the mirena feb of 2015 so it's been a little over a year the inserting part wasn't that bad I say a 4. The cramps after about a 6 I bleed for 6 months straight around the third month it was pretty light (panty liner) I broke out on my forehead for about 4 of those months than it went away I have random cramping and Nausea along with pregnancy symptoms ( cravings , nausea bad taste, mood swings ) I also have to wear a panty liner everyday due to more discharge but it colorless and don't have a smell I haven't notice hair loss or nail damage but I do get a light period every month sometimes 5 days some times 8 and it makes my constipated /gasey sometimes I have cravings and sometimes I don't eat cause I feel bloated and full"

Parisgolden April 28, 2016

"Had IUD Mirena inserted last April, 2015, it was excruciating. I bleed for 10 days 1st 3 months & had consent spotting. My periods are dark black blood clots & very few months of heavey red bleeding. There are months I have anywhere to 2/3 periods. I also had extremely bad anxiety/depression, crying fits, gnarly headaches, major cramps and severe mood swings, family hates me/it!!!! I decided to do IUD after Loestrin 24 was disconnected. Am 44 & ever had children. Calling to get it out & back on the pill. I do not recommend this product."

2015 insert April 27, 2016

"I was sold with the fact the WAS going to reduce my periods (never happened) I see my period 2 or 3 times in one month, when i'm not on it i have heavy discharge with a strong odor, tired most of the time and gained some weight, not much but some and has been very difficult to loose those pounds. After a year just made an appointment to have it remove."

Gretchel (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 21, 2016

"I had my Mirena inserted 4 years ago, and got it removed today. I got it inserted at 18, and have had no children. Insertion was a 7 on a pain scale of 1-10, and removal was about a 4. For me, the Mirena was a great choice. I almost never got my period, and when I did it was very light, and only lasted about 3 days. It was nice to have a birth control that I didn't have to remember to take. The only downfalls I had being on Mirena was that I almost no sex drive which put a little bit of a strain on my relationship. I have gained weight while over the course of the 4 years but have been able to maintain it, therefore I'm not sure if the Mirena had any effect on that."

lurbanx71 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 19, 2016

"Had the Mirena put in last August and had it removed yesterday. The Dr.'so tell you it is the gets better but I don't agree. I bled for weeks on end (like 4-5 at a time), was moody and no longer had any sex drive. I already have 4 kids so will go ahead with a tubal ligation instead. Wasn't a good experience at all."

Lhorem April 14, 2016

"I tried this because hey, who doesn't love 5 year birth control that you basically forget about? It was absolutely awful. The insertion experience was excruciating for me. I passed out on the table and vomited. I gained 35lbs in 7 months despite counting calories/working out. I had extremely bad anxiety/depression, I would walk into a place and immediately start pouring sweat. I got terrible acne all along my jawline & back. Extremely low sex drive & I was so emotionless I felt like a robot. I was on the IUD for about 7 months then decided I couldn't handle these issues anymore. The removal was easy, I didn't even feel it. Since then I've lost weight, acne cleared up, sweating went away, and I have emotions again. Would not recommend."

Mouse2 April 9, 2016

"I've had the mirena for over a year. Not all experiences were great but most of the issues that I initially hated have subsided. My boyfriend was getting poked by the string, severe moodswings, hair loss, acne, a month of spotting... I had it all. I was so frustrated! BUT after a year, the string has softened, my face has cleared up, my hair is growing back (I've always had fine hair) and I haven't had any spotting or issues in over 8 months! My mood can still sometimes fluctuate but I've learned how to deal and it's not a problem. Point is, there are a lot of pros about this form of birth control. If you do choose mirena, give it some time for your body to adjust! It can be frustrating but I love the peace of mind and glad I stuck it out"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2016

"After having my second child, I developed a few ovarian cysts and endometriosis. My doctor told me I needed birth control. Out of all the options with birth control, the Mirena seemed to be the best option for me. I don't have to remember to take a pill everyday, my periods are light to non-existent, and I'm still baby-free and cyst-free! This is my 5th year using Mirena. I just recently had it replaced (9 days ago). I'm experiencing a few cramps on my left side, and I was spotting this morning, but that's all normal. The removal of the last Mirena was a bit uncomfortable, but that's the only negative thing I have to say about it."

Ashley T. (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 7, 2016

"This has slowed my period down which is what I want. It's nice that if I decide to do anything with my spouse that I don't have to remember anything. I have been having major spotting and some shooting pains. My doc said the pain isn't from this but it started after I got this. I do not like the spotting or pain."

Jess38778 April 6, 2016

"25 year old Caucasian female. I got it in October; healthy weight, normal blood pressure, not on any medication. I have a history of anxiety, but it was under control. Had cramping, painful breasts an irregular bleeding for weeks but I wanted to tough it out. However, around 4 months after insertion I began to have severe anxiety. This spiraled into very high blood pressure, severe heart palpitations, chest tightness, severe panic attacks, severe depression, severe brain fog, joint pain and headaches. I got referrals to a cardiologist and Mirena was dismissed as the reason. After reading reviews I demanded the doctor remove it. It has been 6 days and I see a significant improvement in all of the above -- hopefully positive trend continues"

Emily A. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2016

"About 3 months after having my 3rd, my ob/gyn convinced me to try Mirena. It's been 6 months now and I'm so happy with my decision. I am back to my pre-baby size, my skin cleared up, and my periods are very light- typically lasting 1-2 days. I am still able to breast feed, it did not affect my supply at all. No problems with brittle nails or hair. I have never felt any pain from the threads, neither has my husband. The only annoying thing about the Mirena was the horrible spotting I dealt with for the first 2-3 months. While insertion was uncomfortable, it wasn't painful. I love my Mirena!"

Kath J April 4, 2016

"had the mirena put in 7 days ago. I am 46 years old, didnt want to get my periods anymore, no children. My utererus falls backward so had a general anaesthetic to have it inserted. So far, continual cramps, period pain tablets ease this, 5 days in the spotting has started. Often get pain in left side. Reading all comments, it will be intersting to see if the cramps and bloating go in a couple of weeks and how long the spotting will stay - i will stick it out for a couple of months."

Goodsv April 3, 2016

"Ive been having the Mirena inserted every few years for 22 years now, no issues no problems, pinch when inserted, ache when taken out. I swear by it!"

Loving the Mirena March 31, 2016

"I used Mirena for 11 months for birth control. I am very sensitive so the insertion was painful (lots of cramping and spotting after). I would then (for the first 3 months or so) get random, painful cramps. I also instantly gained 5 lbs and 10 lbs over this past year in total. Apart from the hair thinning (which I am unsure was from the Mirena) I got really bad acne on my chin area and on my back. I was hoping that would change bc aside from that, I got no periods at all and it was very effective in preventing pregnancy. I just got mine out today and taking it out was a cinch. I'm hoping my body will regulate itself quickly."

Jentri98 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2016

"I have had the iud 2 times. The first time I had no problems very little cramping, very light to no bleeding. I went in 2012 after my son was born to get it again, and this time it was horrible. I had a lot more pain when inserted. I went back into for a checkup with my doctor to make sure it was in place, and he couldnt see it or feel the strings. So he told me that my body rejected it. So I thought he meant it fell out. I ended up going to the pill, and happen to be pregnant with my 3rd child. In 2015 I went to a chiropractor and had an xray done, and low and behold the iud was still in me. Looked like it was inside the uterus too. Now I am having to face the possibility of having surgery to get it out. My 3rd child was early and in nicu"

Nina1986 (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2016

"Horrible product. I regret ever getting this inserted. Nothing but heavier periods, headaches, mood swings, weight gain, just all around pain in the ass. I had it removed over 2 years ago, and my body is completely out of whack from it. I cannot get pregnant (have been trying to have our 2nd for over a year now) and what was regular periods now go magically missing 3 months at a time. This should be taken off the market. Thank you Mirena for making me infertile. *insert sarcasm*"

ahybner (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 29, 2016

"I had this IUD put in 10 weeks postpartum. I trust my OBGYN, he reassured me that if I can handle birth, I can handle this. My sister also has the same IUD and told me the discomfort is hardly anything. My OB's med student placed the IUD under my OB's supervision. It was cake. There was a slight pinching, hardly cramping. Every woman's body is different. Birthing both my babies was easy (as birth goes) and this was nothing. Every body is different. My expierence was very positive. My OB reassured me the hormones are centralized, that it stays in the uterus and does not climb to the brain or breasts. My baby is safe to nurse. I was slighty uncomfortable during the day, but it dissipated quickly. 1 - 10, 10 being screaming pain, it was a 2"

Jessiiliilii March 29, 2016

"Do not let this thing fool you! I've had it twice now. so for the last 8 years or so. The 1st time around (after my 2nd child) I had it inserted. Didn't hurt too much that I remember. I liked having no period, living in California where it's usually sunny and warm.. no period was great. Got it out, had 1 period. Then got pregnant with my 3rd child. Decided to go with it again, and it was fine. BUT then there is the bloating..constipation.. abdominal pain.. cysts.. yeah no period is nice, but we are SUPPOSED TO HAVE THEM. This thing is bad, and it took me a loooong time to realize everything is connected.. bloating, constipation, intestinal pain, cysts, mood swings, headaches, brittle hair and nails.. etc. Mirena! Don't do it!"

Pantera85 March 29, 2016

"Insertion was not bad. I recommend getting Mirena inserted while bleeding, as the cervix is open. First 6 months spotting off and on. Then following months just light period around my cycle time. No weight gain. Not to much hair thinning. Overall, I think Mirena is a great choice for long and effective birth control."

Satisfied and happy March 29, 2016

"I got my Mirena in August of 2015, so it's been 7 months since insertion (at this point in time). I wanted it primarily for birth control, and also to help curb my obnoxious periods- used to have to change out a Diva Cup every 4-5 hours on the heavy days. Insertion did hurt, but ibuprofen helps. The first 6 periods after insertion HURT, but deep breathing, ibuprofen, and some TLC helped a lot. Periods have gotten *significantly* lighter, to the point where I can leave my Lunette menstrual cup in for 12 hours and it's not even half way full. Definitely recommend Mirena if you have heavy periods, but patience is key. Plus you can't beat the 99.8-99.9% effectiveness rate in preventing pregnancy."

IUD's + Cups = <3 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 26, 2016

"Great!! No one posts the good reviews so I thought I would shed some light! This was awesome had it for a little over two weeks now and I have no issues. After the initial insertion (which hurt but was a breeze, took 2 minutes tops)I had pretty painful cramps for about 12 hours after. I was fine the next day which some brown discharge and bloating for around a week. 1. This IUD does not cause acne, but it lacks estrogen like the pill or other forms of birth control that help with clearing up acne. So you may get more pimples than usual but its what you would normally have with out the pill. 2. It doesn't effect weight gain, any weight gain maybe an un related issue from the birth control."

19yroldunistudent March 23, 2016

"I am a first time user of the Mirena, I have to say it's pretty good. The inserting wasn't painful at all to me my Dr was very gentle and walked me through each step it was over before I knew it, although I must say every since ive had it my period is very tricky. It seems to never go away. I have slight cramping but light periods and sometimes heavy. Hopefully it will ease up and disappear soon. Other than that it fits me best:)"

CCoosby March 21, 2016

"My Dr. made it sound like the greatest thing I could ever do for myself. The procedure ended up being way more painful than I'd been prepared for, then I had 3 days of unbearable cramps (I could barely move). About another 3-4 weeks of increasingly less severe cramps. Since then, I've had no real periods but a lot of unpredictable spotting and light bleeding, as well as cramping, that lasts for upwards of 3 weeks on end, sometimes with only one week in between. I've also completely lost my sex drive and have been feeling overwhelmingly emotional for the last few months, on the verge of tears constantly (how I used to feel for about 2 days before a regular period). Been 5 months and I want it OUT. This is HELL."

Sara392 March 20, 2016