User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 188 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

Review by HSF (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was scared to get Mirena after reading all the horror stories but got it anyways and I'm liking it so far! I'm 20 years old with no kids. Cramping during insertion and off and on for a few days after, nothing unbearable. Skin has gotten better and I've actually lost weight but this might not have anything to do with Mirena. Only downside is I'm still spotting but my doctor said it should be gone within a month or so. No pain during sex and my boyfriend says he can't feel the strings either. Would definitely recommend! Don't let all the horror stories scare you.

January 20, 2015 1:26 AM

Review by Mama knows:

I am getting mine taken out next week. I've been on it for almost two years and have bleeding 95% of the time.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2015 10:13 PM

Review by mlsr:

I love Mirena. I am 26 and never had kids before. I had my Mirena inserted 7 months ago, little pain when MD inserted. Little cramps but it all want away. I have gain few pounds. Overall it is a great birth control.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 15, 2015 8:50 AM

Review by Andrea B:

I feel like the people who say that they had a painful insertion are only the ones who have either never had a baby or never had cramps. When they put mine in it was only uncomfortable, not painful. There was some minor cramping afterwards, but I am noticing that I am struggling with losing weight. After my second child I was able to drop my weight pretty well, but now after my third and having this in it is really hard and I feel like I retain a lot of water.

December 31, 2014 11:11 AM

Review by Kimberley audrey:

I'm on my second Mirena and I think it's great! The first one I got, took a long time to stop spotting.. I was frustrated and wanted it out. My doctor's office, suggested waiting, and giving it a chance. I'm really happy I listened! Each month, it got better. Those beginning days, are so far behind me now.. I haven't had any problems, at all.. Definitely worth it!

December 29, 2014 11:49 AM

29 years old and two kids. I've had the Mirena since February 2013. I would recommend it but my only issue is I bleed for a day or two after sex. But not during so it's no problem with my husband and I.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 27, 2014 10:27 PM

Review by MariG (taken for less than 1 month):

I got Mirena inserted December 15, 2014 and I LOVE IT! I am 21 years old with no children. The insertion was very very painful. I bled and cramped the day of the insertion and day afterwards. So far, its been one week and I feel fantastic!

December 22, 2014 7:48 AM

Review by angelica20:

I'm 20yrs old, with one toddler. I read about this choice of birth control for weeks and finally got it today. The process wasn't to bad. Cramping at first and slight dizziness afterwards.

December 18, 2014 7:03 PM

Review by gmbmw75mo:

I had Mirena inserted 5 months ago and am still having very heavy periods with horrible cramps. Periods are lasting about 3 weeks and then I only get a 2 week respite before it starts again. I've also gained quite a bit of weight these past 5 months. Thinking about having it removed. After reading and hearing others comments, I have noticed that those that have not had children are having more issues and side effects than the women that have had children.

December 13, 2014 7:45 PM

Review by Patchgurl86:

I had Mirena inserted 3 yrs ago. Only a little cramping after insertion, periods stop within 2 months, no acne but a little lower back pain and weight gain. Mirena is still worth it though. Very happy with this product.

December 13, 2014 8:32 AM

Review by hfischer:

I just had the Mirena inserted yesterday. I'm 22 years old with no kids. The procedure was very painful. I felt nauseous afterwards and felt like I was gonna pass out during it. I had major cramping and bleeding for the rest of the day. Today I only have mild cramping and some spotting. So it seems to be getting better.

December 12, 2014 12:21 PM

Review by youngandwildandfree (taken for less than 1 month):

I got the Mirena inserted about 4 days ago on the first day of my period. Since I'm 19 I got it for free at a teen clinic! I experienced bad cramping with insertion because I have not had a child, but it was nothing I haven't felt before. I have a heavy menstrual flow so I bled and cramped a lot the first three days, but now it's day 5 and I am not even spotting at all. Obviously it's soon to tell if I'll have other symptoms or irregular bleeding but so far the process has been a breeze for me and I love my Mirena!

December 9, 2014 12:50 PM

Review by Newlywed3:

Periods went away completely, Gained 15 lbs, nausea often, but did prevent pregnancy.

December 8, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by Me78:

12/14 Love It! I'm 36, have a Toddler and I am done having children. I was on birth control pills for years, but as I'm no longer having children Mirena is a great reversible (if you so choose). My doctor measured my uterus, cut to Mirena to size & Insertion took less than 2 minutes. A quick pinch & it was done. Your doctors skill & your body dictate the pain level, let's face it. I lightly cramped for a couple days afterward from my body acclimating, but otherwise, I have had zero issues. If you are looking for a long term birth control solution, Mirena is Fabulous!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2014 8:21 PM

Review by Hjo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I had the Mirena inserted 7 months ago. I took 800 mg of Ibuprofen beforehand and experienced only minor pain upon insertion. I had some mild cramping throughout that day, but afterwards none. I still have fairly regular periods--every month, light bleeding with a little bit of cramping. I was told that after about 6 months my periods would probably disappear, but I'm still waiting for that to happen. No weight gain, acne, or change in mood or libido. I love it! Very satisfied.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 2, 2014 7:56 AM

Review by anonymous1000:

I used to get cramps so terribly painful that at 24 years old, I was begging my doctors to approve a hysterectomy. This had been an ongoing issue for me. I finally got the Mirena as recommended by a friend and I don't get my period anymore. Only downside is that on rare occasions, I do experience cramping after heavy exercise. I didn't gain weight and no negative side effects to report on really. I would recommend this to every woman.

December 1, 2014 2:45 PM

Review by Jennafuzz:

I'm 16 and apparently the youngest to get Mirena from all the reviews I have read. I only got it inserted a few days ago. I have never had children, nor have I ever been pregnant. I've also not had much sexual experience, but the procedure was quite quick and really was not that painful. I don't consider my pain tolerance very high but the pain was very bearable. I got it inserted while on my period. During my usual menstruation I get horrible cramps that will even cause me to vomit, but during the procedure the pain wasn't even close to that. I felt pretty much normal walking or of the building, no cramping. I even went horseback riding for 2 hours right after the procedure! I immediately noticed a difference in my period. Love it!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 1, 2014 12:11 AM

Review by Klaudia28:

I chose Mirena after having my fourth child. I was spotting lightly for 6 weeks and almost wanted to take it out, but I waited and the spotting passed. I had that Mirena for a full five years and only had two periods on it. I removed the Mirena and waited for three months to have it replaced. The insertion was just a tiny pinch, no pain really and lasted about 30 seconds. I had some very light spotting, this second time around, maybe a drop of blood during the first day and no bleeding afterwards to my surprise since. My doctor suggested I will probably not have any periods again. I highly recommend this wonder product. It is a miracle product. I never had any side affects from it.

November 30, 2014 9:51 PM

Review by BurkT (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had Mirena placed in on September 12,2014. I just had my second child in July 2014 so the insertion was not painful! I liked the concept of having Mirena but now that I have it, I have not stopped bleeding since!!! I can't have sex ever because I am always spotting! It is just annoying!! I am really considering getting it removed! I would much rather have my period once a month then bleed every single day!!

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 26, 2014 11:04 PM

Review by Katie515515:

I chose Mirena because The Pill became too expensive to buy every month. I was happy to find out my insurance paid for 100% of the costs! I only cramped for about two weeks after, and those were very mild, but I don't have a history of cramps either. I do not have a period anymore (which is great for saving $ on tampons!) although I do still have some symptoms of PMS each month. The only downside I have to say about it is that because Mirena doesn't have the same hormones as The Pill, my acne isn't being regulated like it was before, but it's definitely not unmanageable.

November 26, 2014 10:23 AM

Review by MargoM1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This device saved my sex life! Sinse insertion (that wasn't that bad) I've not had one thrush infection! I know people say IUDs can make infections worse, but for me it's been a life saver. I have lost weight and my mood and libido have greatly improved. I am 24, no kids and have tried every other Birth Control under the sun (including Implanon) all gave me constant thrush and weight gain! Amazing such a small thing can reap such positive changes!!

November 23, 2014 11:01 AM

Review by Trishy44:

December 4th will be my third month with Mirena. I'm 18 years old and could not be happier. I have had one period so far right on time, lasted a solid 5 days will no cramping and I've been spotting ever since. The spotting isn't bad, somedays it requires a panty liner, other days it's not even noticable. I have full faith the spotting will stop within the next 3 months. It's not enough to keep me from having sex, so it's really no problem at all. I'd reccommend this to every woman. Insertion was about eequivalent pain to getting a tattoo but shorter (only lasted 30 seconds) and cramps after lasted a few hours. I went back to classes the next day, was able to run again within 3 days. The strings are perfect length. 10/10

November 18, 2014 1:07 AM

Review by Natasha j:

I wanted to share my experience with the procedure. I am 19 and never have had kids. When they put in the Mirena it didn't hurt like many women on the review said. It felt like a quick cramp and then it was all over with. It's been about three days, and so far I have had light cramping about 3 times a day and spotting.

November 18, 2014 12:10 AM

Review by MargoM1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Firstly it is worth noting that I chose this form of birth control as a complete last resort and rather hesitently, I have tried 3 different types of combined pill, a progesterone only pill and a Nexplanon (bled everyday for 18 months) I am 24. I also suffered from constant yeast infections, my doctor said it was worth a go otherwise I would have to rely just on condoms. So I had the Mirena inserted about two months ago and what can I say?? My breasts are no longer sore, my spots have improved, I've lost over half a stone, not one bit of spotting (a real worry) and the most important thing of all....no thrush! I am absolutely gobsmacked! My sex drive is slowly returning also, it seems mad that such a small device can seemingly mend years of infections.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2014 4:24 AM

Review by JadedJade87:

I had the Mirena for almost a year and it was effective with pregnancy but I had horrible mood swings, I was bloated and although I didn't have a period each month I constantly spotted especially during sex which was a huge turn off for my partner and I. It did not do well with my body and it was uncomfortable for him during sex.

November 10, 2014 7:50 PM