User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 202 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

Review by angelica20:

I'm 20yrs old, with one toddler. I read about this choice of birth control for weeks and finally got it today. The process wasn't to bad. Cramping at first and slight dizziness afterwards.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 18, 2014 7:03 PM

Review by Patchgurl86:

I had Mirena inserted 3 yrs ago. Only a little cramping after insertion, periods stop within 2 months, no acne but a little lower back pain and weight gain. Mirena is still worth it though. Very happy with this product.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2014 8:32 AM

Review by hfischer:

I just had the Mirena inserted yesterday. I'm 22 years old with no kids. The procedure was very painful. I felt nauseous afterwards and felt like I was gonna pass out during it. I had major cramping and bleeding for the rest of the day. Today I only have mild cramping and some spotting. So it seems to be getting better.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2014 12:21 PM

Review by youngandwildandfree (taken for less than 1 month):

I got the Mirena inserted about 4 days ago on the first day of my period. Since I'm 19 I got it for free at a teen clinic! I experienced bad cramping with insertion because I have not had a child, but it was nothing I haven't felt before. I have a heavy menstrual flow so I bled and cramped a lot the first three days, but now it's day 5 and I am not even spotting at all. Obviously it's soon to tell if I'll have other symptoms or irregular bleeding but so far the process has been a breeze for me and I love my Mirena!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2014 12:50 PM

Review by Newlywed3:

Periods went away completely, Gained 15 lbs, nausea often, but did prevent pregnancy.

December 8, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by anonymous1000:

I used to get cramps so terribly painful that at 24 years old, I was begging my doctors to approve a hysterectomy. This had been an ongoing issue for me. I finally got the Mirena as recommended by a friend and I don't get my period anymore. Only downside is that on rare occasions, I do experience cramping after heavy exercise. I didn't gain weight and no negative side effects to report on really. I would recommend this to every woman.

December 1, 2014 2:45 PM

Review by BurkT (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had Mirena placed in on September 12,2014. I just had my second child in July 2014 so the insertion was not painful! I liked the concept of having Mirena but now that I have it, I have not stopped bleeding since!!! I can't have sex ever because I am always spotting! It is just annoying!! I am really considering getting it removed! I would much rather have my period once a month then bleed every single day!!

November 26, 2014 11:04 PM

Review by Katie515515:

I chose Mirena because The Pill became too expensive to buy every month. I was happy to find out my insurance paid for 100% of the costs! I only cramped for about two weeks after, and those were very mild, but I don't have a history of cramps either. I do not have a period anymore (which is great for saving $ on tampons!) although I do still have some symptoms of PMS each month. The only downside I have to say about it is that because Mirena doesn't have the same hormones as The Pill, my acne isn't being regulated like it was before, but it's definitely not unmanageable.

November 26, 2014 10:23 AM

Review by Trishy44:

December 4th will be my third month with Mirena. I'm 18 years old and could not be happier. I have had one period so far right on time, lasted a solid 5 days will no cramping and I've been spotting ever since. The spotting isn't bad, somedays it requires a panty liner, other days it's not even noticable. I have full faith the spotting will stop within the next 3 months. It's not enough to keep me from having sex, so it's really no problem at all. I'd reccommend this to every woman. Insertion was about eequivalent pain to getting a tattoo but shorter (only lasted 30 seconds) and cramps after lasted a few hours. I went back to classes the next day, was able to run again within 3 days. The strings are perfect length. 10/10

November 18, 2014 1:07 AM

Review by Natasha j:

I wanted to share my experience with the procedure. I am 19 and never have had kids. When they put in the Mirena it didn't hurt like many women on the review said. It felt like a quick cramp and then it was all over with. It's been about three days, and so far I have had light cramping about 3 times a day and spotting.

November 18, 2014 12:10 AM

Review by JadedJade87:

I had the Mirena for almost a year and it was effective with pregnancy but I had horrible mood swings, I was bloated and although I didn't have a period each month I constantly spotted especially during sex which was a huge turn off for my partner and I. It did not do well with my body and it was uncomfortable for him during sex.

November 10, 2014 7:50 PM

Review by kacielynn (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've gained alot of weight

November 9, 2014 6:13 PM

Review by Jess808:

I am 19 years old, no kids and the insertion was painful. I love Mirena, probably the best decision I've made in my life. Super effective, no side effects, and I have actually lost weight. I think everyone should try Mirena birth control.

November 8, 2014 1:46 PM

Review by Courtneylars (taken for 1 to 6 months):

While I enjoy not having a period and knowing I am protected from pregnancy without having to take a pill everyday I am having my Mirena removed Thursday. I have only had it 6.5 months and in that time I have had a constant dull back pain, uncontrollable acne and I have also gained 25 pounds. Mirena is just not for me.

November 3, 2014 12:59 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

22, no kids. LOVE. The insertion was painful, I took two ibuprofen 30 minutes prior like my gyno directed.Thanks to the most supportive nurse and nurse aid insertion went smoothly, I was in and out in an hour. After a week of discomfort and 2 months of getting an irregular period I now no longer have a period. This is a miracle device, no kids and no aunts for 5 years.

October 27, 2014 1:53 PM

Review by KJ1116 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I'm 40 years old with two teenaged children. I was tired of taking a birth control pill daily, and had trouble remembering to take it sometimes. I had the Mirena inserted last month, and it was a painless procedure. I had some minor cramping for the first day or two, but no bleeding. I did not get my period this month and I'm hoping I don't get one ever again! I highly recommend Mirena.

October 27, 2014 2:50 AM

Review by jessierobinson:

Love love love it... coming up on year 5 and about to have it replaced. Tiny pinch getting it placed my periods were painful and heavy before and well I haven't had a period in 3 years. I lightly spot for a day or less every month when I can feel changes and a period is supposed to be present. No weight gain no moodiness higher sex drive.. only one down is that my husband says he can feel a sharp poke when he penetrated deeply. Reason being the ob that placed it cut the threads too short so instead of wrapping around the cervix they stick out straight. .. also some cramping after sex on occasion

October 18, 2014 12:37 AM

Review by ironside88 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

This amazing device has well and truly changed my life. I used to suffer from extremely heavy periods with cramps and sickness that meant I had to take a minimum of half a day off work a month. I now barely have periods and no longer have to plan my life around those few days each month. I have only given it a 9 because it was pretty painful to insert, otherwise I would have definitely given 10.

October 14, 2014 5:06 PM

Review by lana23 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Enjoying the idea of the Mirena more than having it at the moment. Got it inserted on 10th September 2014 the day that my period finished and have had a heavy period ever since. It's great to not take a pill every day and sex isn't painful as I worried, although there isn't any need to worry because the bleeding is preventing that from happening. I just really hope it settles down and that the bleeding stops. Very jealous of everyone who only had a day or two of spotting.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2014 12:34 AM

Review by Britt1234:

Had it for years and love it. Changed it out after not having a period for years and boy it was painful. My first Mirena was nearly painless - just a little tuck. This time it stabbed me hard a few times (quite painful) but each time it was over in seconds. I had menstrual cramps for an hour and that was it. I didn't even get my bleeding back (just a little right afterwards). Yeah! May advice: if you choose the Mirena be patient - the first year I constantly bleed off and on but then my period disappeared. Find a doctor who has done this a lot - I believe experience is the key! Also - have it done when your cervix is dilated during your period. I took Misoprostol for that the night before but that did not help.

September 24, 2014 7:30 PM

Review by Life-changing!:

I love, love, love Mirena. I had my first one put in when I was 21 due to debilitating periods, and I hadn't had any kids. Not going to lie - the pain was truly horrible upon insertion, and I did cramp for weeks afterwards, but after that cleared up 5 years of no periods changed my life. I just had my second one put in yesterday and it was nowhere near as traumatic as the first time since my hormones had leveled out. I HIGHLY recommend it for women who don't want/can't take high estrogen birth control or would like to stop their periods safely. It's been absolutely life-changing for me, and I hope Mirena and other IUD's continue to gain popularity as people see how great they really can be.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by NYCGirl729:

Mirena gave me my life back. Ever since I hit puberty at 11 years old I have had horrible, very heavy, very painful periods . Around 18 I was diagnosed with Endometriosis. I would miss school, work, have to double layer my clothes when i slept it was horrible. I tried every birth control out there including Seasonique, The NuvaRing, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Depo-Provera, Loestrin, Lybrel, if you name it I've tried it. Nothing worked. I started having periods that would last for 2-3 weeks. Finally I tried Mirena, having it put in was painful- but bearable. The first 6 weeks I had cramps and spotting. After that nothing. I get a very light 2-3 day period now and then. No cramps. It's amazing and gave me my life back. I'm so thankful for it!

September 3, 2014 2:59 PM

Review by akk99222212:

I got my Mirena almost 6 months ago now and I absolutely love it. I read so many reviews that made me hesitate to get it - it took me months to decide which birth control to get, but my Dr recommended this so I trusted her. I have had 1 child previously, 2 years ago now, so I think that helped make my experience smooth. I took some ibuprofen before getting it put in and there was discomfort but nothing unbearable. I spotted and had irregular periods for the first 2 months, it was really annoying. Then I spotted occasionally for another two months or so. My periods have stopped completely now so it was worth it. Also, the cramping was not bad at all. Nothing more than the moderate period pains I used to get. And my partner never notices it.

September 3, 2014 12:27 PM

Review by lilshorty:

I had Mirena for a little over 2 years now and I love it. I got it after my 2nd child. I did not feel any pain or cramping when the doctor inserted Mirena. I have been on the patch, the pill, Depo-Provera way before I got Mirena. I am 28 years old and in a few more years I am going to get this one again. I would definitely recommend to anyone.

August 21, 2014 6:38 PM

Review by Jchick:

I believe myself to be very pain tolerant. I got one of these inserted, and it caused me so much pain I nearly passed out. Keep in mind, however, that I have never been pregnant before. If you have not been pregnant your uterus does not have as much elasticity. Also, my uterus was set back in a position that made for a difficult time for my gynee to get to it. (This happens when you have not been pregnant sometimes) Nurse said she had never seen the gynee actually have to utilize the ultrasound to insert it. 1 day after insertion, and now I am completely cramp free. Don't let the horror stories scare you. Ease of use, cost (completely free), and effectiveness of this product is phenomenal.

August 20, 2014 5:12 PM