User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 226 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

"I was super nervous for my Mirena insertion and for no reason! The process from start to finish was about 2 minutes and I had zero pain. The most significant discomfort was the speculum which was mild. I highly recommend Mirena to anyone looking for long-term, low maintenance birth control."

Mamaof1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 9, 2016

"I was considering changing over to the implant because the insertion process sounds easier but after reading THOSE reviews...I think I'll stick to my Mirena. All in all I love my Mirena. It will be 4 years this month since I've had it. I haven't had a period in over 3 years. Occasional spotting. Rare cramps. I haven't noticed any mood changes or acne or anything else people are reporting. My bf has never noticed when we have sex and there is no discomfort for me before or after. The ONLY thing I would say was not very pleasant about the Mirena is the insertion. Probably the most painful thing I've ever experienced thus far (32 yrs old, never been pregnant/given birth). Lasts a sec tho. All in all, highly recommend :)"

Loren84 February 7, 2016

"I'm a 20yr old woman who has never had kids and I'm here to tell you how to get an IUD so you don't have a terrible experience like some of the people who rate this drug badly Don't listen to the bad reviews! They will just freak you out, plus complications are extremely rare, especially if you ask the doc (not a nurse) about his/her personal stats. Side effects like moodiness, weight gain and acne are impossible! Less than 1% of the drug gets in your blood stream so it can't have the same side effects as most birth controls The cervix softener and ibprofin really help with pain while lorazipam helps relax your muscles. Make sure you take them! It will hurt like a strong cramp, but it is brief and worth the 99.7 protection plus no periods"

Kenzie Thatcher February 2, 2016

"I have had the Mirena for a total of 10 years & I'm very pleased. The only part I don't like is the insertion process (yes, it can hurt, but it's a quick pain if you have a doctor that knows what they are doing), the bacterial vaginosis I sometimes get & the ovarian cysts. Everything else is great! I rarely have periods & when I do I just spot a little (I used to have very heavy periods & BAD cramps). I also haven't ended up pregnant. I highly recommend this form of birth control."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 10 years or more) February 1, 2016

"Had the Mirena IUD placed during surgery in June 2015. I had spotting and bleeding for a while afterwards. OB/GYM said it takes up to 9 months to adjust. Most recently very light periods, now no period. I'm told my hair and skin look heathier, I look like I'm losing weight, I've noticed my nails are growing. Most recently though my sex drive has decreased. I'm 41, and choose this because the man I was with couldn't use latex condoms due to an allergy. Overall I'm happy with it."

SassyK11 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

"Due to my age (42) and the need for contraceptive and relief from having my period last 2 of 4 four weeks after my second child, I was advised that the Mirena was the best option. I was concerned about having several fibroids which I was diagnosed as having when I was 30. So, Mirena inserted. The bleeding was inconsistent for 12 months. My doc said give it 3 mths, then 6 mths, then 9 mths. No change. After the first month it was noticable that my belly was sticking out. I gained weight around the middle that I could not budge. Had it taken out and felt normal again the next day. Then my period came, with a vengeance. I believe my body stored my menstrual blood which made my fibroids bigger than before. Back to the gyno for me."

Livvy28 January 31, 2016

"I had Mirena inserted in April of 2015. The insertion was painful for me, as I have not ever been pregnant and given birth. I had light spotting for two weeks after insertion and then when I thought my body was adjusting, I would spot throughout the following months. It wasn't until month 6 that the spotting stopped. It was also in month 6 that I discovered one mass in each of my breasts, one the size of a walnut and the other the size of a small gumball. I really did enjoy having no periods with Mirena, but I had it removed at month 9, with a pending breast ultrasound and mammogram at age 26."

Anonymous January 30, 2016

"I had Mirena inserted 9 months ago, and it has been the worst experience. This IUD will exacerbate stress, and I have periods for 10 days every month! I also noticed others were mentioning pain during intercourse and lack of libido: Totally!!!!!!! It is awful! I have no desire or energy, and when we do, I have pain in my lower abdomen in certain positions. As for acne, it has increased! I haven't experienced any issues with weight, although I haven't been actively trying to lose, and I have a fast metabolism. I have spoken to others who are taking it, and 1/8 people I spoken to kept it in after a year. They also mentioned panic attacks, severe depression, and lack of energy... "mood changes" don't take if u already have anxiety issues!"

Bad juju (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 30, 2016

"I had this IUD implanted in my poor body Dec 12 2015. I had read the reviews and I under estimated the painful, not pleasant process. I began bleeding as soon as it entered my body. The cramps and bleeding remained for 25 days before I went to the emergency room and begged for it to be removed!!! During the holidays I was met with 3 massive migraines all within 3 weeks including Christmas day. I also began to get a pain in my left side along with getting up every hour to pee. The cramps were endless and the left side pain had me doubled over. It was removed last Sunday and I spent 2 days in hospital. Oh also a bladder infection. They stated it could be likely from the IUD. I had nothing but issues with this horrible little T shaped product!"

Lisa72 January 24, 2016

"This is my experience so far for anyone considering a Mirena coil. I ummed and erred for months because of negative reviews and my concerns were: 1) Would insertion hurt? The answer was no, I've had more painful cervical smears than the insertion of my mirena coil. 2) Would it mess with my monthly cycle? Yes, it did. I bled constantly, (in an array of colours!) for the obligatory 3 months that the GP told me to wait, until my body got used to it. Then it was another month before I finally went back to my GP and said "Help". She gave me a progesterone pill told me to take it for a month. I only took it for only one week! It did the job, I stopped bleeding and have gone on to a normal cycle. My periods only last a couple of days, do not hurt and are light, (just a smear of blood). I am 47 and compared to the heavy periods I was having before, it's a walk in the park. 3) Would I put on weight? No, not so far. I feel thinner around the middle. 4) Would I loose my sex drive? No, not so far. I was worried about this, however I am happy to say that I have noticed no difference. Sex is just as welcome and enjoyable as before. 5) Would I get spots? No. The doctor told me that this was less likely because the hormonal content is tiny and localised to the womb. She was right. All in all it was the right decision for me. I am very happy. I hope this post helps others."

lucycatmac January 23, 2016

"I'm 27 with no kids. I do not want kids and never have. I wanted something long term that was more reliable than the pill and wouldn't mess with me in the way the shot does. I've had Mirena for several months now. At first the cramping was odd and painful, nothing I couldn't handle, it would happen sporadically and would subside after a few minutes. A few months into it, its pretty much gone. No periods and minimal spotting. It was literally, for me "stick it and forget it" I'm very happy with it. No weight gain, no acne, no mood swings. I'm still my regular self. For the insertion I was really scared and my OB gave me something for nerves. Honestly it just felt like a deep cramp. I didn't feel the pinch. but its different for everyone."

NoBabies (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 23, 2016

"Had Mirena inserted Mar 15 hoping for a relatively low maintenance BC option. I had a very regular, 28 day cycle with 5-7 days of heavy bleeding. Insertion felt like a hard pinch. For the 2 weeks I had shooting, sharp pains that left me in a ball on the couch & w/ heavy bleeding. For the next 6 months I spotted or bled almost 3/4 weeks a month & had heavier bleeding for about 10 days during those 3 weeks. By Sept it seemed to finally settle into a 3.5 week cycle but bleeding would be heavy or have spotting for 10 days. Thanksgiving I started bleeding, & bled almost daily until I had it removed mid Jan 16. Day after removal, severe bleeding, giant clots even w/ being on mini-pill. Day 7 had to take progesterone to stop abnormal bleeding."

MissMylissa January 23, 2016

"No problems. I still menstruate here and there. But overall no cramping..maybe some temporary gain weight during menstruate days like usual. But overall great. I got pregnant as soon as I removed it and put it back after my second baby. And still no problems."

Love 7 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 22, 2016

"I have had Mirena for going on 4 yr in June and love it! Insertion was quite uncomfortable... But not bad! I never have suffered from bad cramps and continue the same (except 1 night having extreme discomfort.) My boyfriend picked me up from the couch and took me to bed... I was in so much pain.... Constant most horrific cramping... Crying myself to sleep... He wanted to take me to hospital! And I have had 2 kids 1 vag 1 c sec. But I just wanted a dark rm and sleep... Woke up the next day normal! Only bad experience the whole time! Periods have ceased at moment... But usually monthly until 2 months ago pretty normal until stopped! But I do recommend and give 10... Even with the 1 night! Implanon was bad... Constant period!"

Bcoe January 19, 2016

"I've had my Mirena placed back in January of 2011 after I had my son. My insertion wasn't bad, but it wasn't terrible either. I didn't have any ill side effects like so many experiences on here. I had normal cycles up until 2013 when my cycle stopped. The only thing I didn't like was it was uncomfortable intimately. It literally left me bent over after intercourse with spotting. I'm scheduled to have mine removed Jan 20 2016. It's been a great form of bc for me outside of intercourse. I'm not planning on getting another one placed unless I decide I've had enough of the shot."

xBrownmamix (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 17, 2016

"Since I got pregnant with my daughter while I was on the pill and then got pregnant with my son well on the depo shot. I decided to take this IUD, it is the worse birth control EVER. I'd rather just get pregnant over and over again, I had weight gain, depression lots of pain. Since getting it out I have been doing 95% better with my depression, I have no pain, I've lost weight with out trying (6pounds) but I have no period for the last 2 1/2 months with no pregnancy and I had a period while I was on this IUD. So don't get it unless you Want a messed up body."

nat153 January 17, 2016

"I'm 18, I got pregnant in the Summer of 2015. I lost the baby about a month and a half ago due to Hydrops and I've been doing okay since. My doctor recommended the Mirena IUD and I thought it'd be a good prevention of pregnancy seeing as getting pregnant again probably wouldn't be the best thing for my future and taking a pill everyday didn't seem good seeing as I'm a very forgetful person. The reviews I've read seemed absolutely terrible and I was pretty freaked out but I got the IUD 2 days ago and so far so good. The pain varies from person to person so I can't say it won't be painful, mine just felt like period cramps and then some mild pains after as if they were normal cramps but not terrible; no mood swings. Hoping it works for me."

12mw34 January 17, 2016

"I had the Mirena ID for a year and it was the worse mistake of my life. I was lucky that I didn't have developed any cystic anomalies, however I had literally almost all the side effects. I gain 40 pounds, I had acne, I had to use sleeping aids in order to sleep, I have great hair loss, I had zero energy, I had some memory loss at times. The day my doctor pull out this IUD I could felt the difference and I'm doing so much better."

Annabella08 January 15, 2016

"Haven't got period since device was put in (October 2015). I was told that 30% of woman will not get their peroid again....maybe I fall into the 30 percent??"

ValerieAnne (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2016

"I had terrible and heavy periods, bad cramps, passing out, missing 1-2 days of work bimonthly, heavy flow. I read a lot about my options and chose Mirena. First insertion attempt didn't work--we did not know I have a steeply bent and narrow uterus but got scans to figure it out. I took naproxen for 2 days leading up to the procedure both times. It was INCREDIBLY painful both times, nausea, nearly passing out. The second time I was on my period which did help and also got a painkiller injection and was much better. I am now 3 months out and only have 1-2 days of very light bleeding/minor cramps, no weight gain or general discomfort, I'm hoping to end up with no periods at all. I would do it over again 10x, totally worth it for me."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 11, 2016

"Had mirena since March 2015, after my baby. Since then I have had no sex drive and despite all my efforts can't lose weight, starting to think this is the issue, thinking about going to gyn to be removed. I still have horrible cramping and mps. Finally no period but trade off is not good"

Kiki#1717 January 9, 2016

"My IUD experience... I had been having really bad pains for about 2 weeks on and off, didn't think much of it just figured it was cramps. Then it started getting worse only lasting 45 min. But the pain was so bad I couldn't even walk! Then I started thinking it had something to do with my IUD that I've only had for about 4 months. A couple days ago I decided to go to the hospital because the pain was so unbearable. I told the Dr all the pain I was having. She said she was going to go talk with another Dr to try to figure out what to test me for. While I was waiting they had me pee in a cup for routine test...like a pregnancy test. They did the pregnancy test in the room with us..we were kind of making fun of it like yea right! No need for that I have an IUD! The nurse looked at me and said...YOU'RE PREGNANT! No way in hell!!! I knew immediately it wasn't good because of the pain and because I had an IUD! They took me for an ultrasound and then told me after that I was having a tubal pregnancy and I would need emergency surgery. What they didn't know is that my tube the baby was in had already burst and I was internally bleeding. They wheeled me down for surgery the last thing I remember is asking the Dr to take out my IUD. It was one of the scariest things that have ever happened to me! How did I get pregnant with an IUD that was in place? I don't understand it, but apparently it happens. All I know is that my IUD didn't do what it was supposed to...I strongly advise against getting this method of birth control! Be careful!"

Nomoreiud (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2016

"I just got my Mirena put in yesterday (Jan.6.2016). it hurt like hell getting it put in. After getting it put in, I bled really hard that same day. I even had a huge blood clot come out of me but the cramps were tolerable. I took extra strength Tylenol and I was fine. Now it's the next day, I'm not bleeding and I feel great. But we'll see.."

Teyonna January 7, 2016

"I had the Mirena inserted after my child was born. He was six weeks old at the time and I was 36. Since then (a year ago), I have gained 12kg's (no change to my diet etc etc), have back and pelvic pains and inflammations all of the time and no sex drive. My marriage is struggling and my moods absolutely horrible. The gyne does not want to remove it as he swears by the Mirena and thinks I am overindulging and just full of nonsense. I feel horrible and bloated and moody 100% of the time. I need some help please."

Button78 January 7, 2016

"I have Mirena for over 6 years. I just replaced new one over a year ago. The 2 plus sides are that it does the job and I have no period. However, I'm changing to copper as recently I have severe mood swing, low sex drive, weight never gone down. So Dr recommend to try none hormone one to see if it will fix the problem."

NoMoreMood January 6, 2016