User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 233 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

"Reasons for the 9/10: 1) Cramping/spotting for 4-6 mos. My 1st time on Mirena, no period for 4yrs! 6yrs later, &6 days into 2nd Mirena I've got typical cramps/3.5d menstruation. 2) It could fall out/re-position itself in the cervix, (down from uterus). 5mos after a copper/hormone-free IUD, I found out that this had happened to me and I switched back to Mirena. Many people have had adverse effects from this med. incl. depression, anxiety, mood swings, constant spotting, painful cramps+. Having 5 years of experience on this med., then switching to a copper IUD for 5mos, I can say that Mirena has HELPED my depression/anxiety. Every body is different. Plus I'm not going to get pregnant! So, all in all, I'd recommend this to anyone."

Stlouisrach May 24, 2016

"I had the Mirena inserted in 3/2014 at my 6 week check up after my son was born. The insertion was not terrible it was kind of like long papsmere with some cramping along with it. Afterwards I spotted for about 5 days and that was the end of that. My period went on normally for the next year slowly decreasing in flow and length. During my time on the birth control I experienced mood swings, hair loss, weight gain, inner aching, numerous ovarian cysts, and more yeast and bacterial infections than I can keep count of (over 30). I finally had it removed in the beginning of May 2016 and I feel a million times better. Yes my first period was very heavy and clotty but when it was over I felt 100% better. Different strokes for different folks."

Happier Without It (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 24, 2016

"Love love love it! I got pregnant while using nuvaring so I wanted a bc that was much safer, well I found it!!! I hated it the first month but everything after that has been a breeze! 1000% worth it! I recommend to all my girlfriends"

nomorebabies (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 17, 2016

"Was slightly uncomfortable during insertion, but not unbearable. Experienced mild cramping afterwards and spotted for the next several days. Was ok in the very beginning and has since maintained it's contraceptive purpose, but spotting began again and never stopped resulting in having to use panty liners daily and dealing with it irritating the skin. On top of this is hair lose, bigger appetite, irritability, cramping, and fatigue."

ElfieM (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 15, 2016

"I had no issues with it.. going to replace it in a few months!"

LindseyV May 11, 2016

"My experience on mirena has been great. March of 2015 I found out I was pregnant, carried the child to 9 weeks and lost it, a month later I got mirena inserted, it didn't hurt at all, and I bled for about 2 days. It's been a month and my flow has definitely slowed down. I can't wait til it stops completely because I hate the damn thing. However, the IUD has stopped the painful cramps I used to get, my period is still pretty usual, comes right on time, so that's the only reason how I know I'm getting it, because otherwise I wouldn't feel it lol. 10/10 would reccomend to any woman who has ever been pregnant."

apriv (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 9, 2016

"I thought I'd share my experience with the Mirena IDU. Im a 26 year old female in a committed 3 year relationship with my boyfriend. Throughout my lifetime before the Mirena I've had a history of depression and hormonal issues taking birth control. Since the age I was sexually active at 16 I tried every other the counter option: the ring, pills , patch, condoms even tried the diaphragm. On top of this I would have extremely painful periods in which I would lay around all day and take close to 12 Advil daily. One docter recommended the IUD, after 6 years thinking if I should get the IUD I finally did and it changed my life. No pain for periods and hormone wise I'm all set:)"

Shannon12012 May 9, 2016

"Had it inserted at 53 years age, as I was still having regular periods within normal range frequency. New female Gynocologist recommended it. Initially had some spotting then periods ended. Currently no problem. Wish I had it when I was younger."

AnotherOlderLady May 6, 2016

"Mirena has changed my life. Before having it inserted I had extreme pain for 3-4 days a month with my period, so painful I'd have to call in sick to work every month. I wanted to try birth control pills for the pain, but my doctor recommended a non-estrogen method due to my family history of breast cancer. The insertion of Mirena was quite painful for the first 10-15 minutes afterward (though not as bad as my excruciating normal period pain), but then it settled down to mild cramping. As other users have said, the spotting on and off for the first 4-6 months can be annoying. But other than that and some very mild cramping at first, my life has changed. No more period pain, I still can't believe it and am so grateful!"

Mikarin May 6, 2016

"I was on Nuva Ring for 5 years and wanted something different, to ultimately eliminate my period and was told an IUD was the best bet. Keep in mind I am 18 and have never had a child. So when I had the Mirena inserted it was extremely uncomfortable and extremely painful. I quickly broke into a cold sweat, got very pale, so dizzy, and had terrible nause, my blood pressure also dropped extremely low. I laid on the table in the doctors office for about an hour until I got myself together, but still had to call someone for a ride home. Afterward I had terrible cramping for about 2 weeks, along with bleeding. My doctor said the cramping was due the fact that my uterus was so small because I have never had any children, so I was just getting used to it being there. The cramping has since went away ( It is over a month later ) but I am still bleeding, it is way less than a period, not clotty either. When I think it's done, it will start again. My doctor said it is just what your body does until it gets used to it. Other wise I have no complaints, other than the bleeding being EXTREMELY inconvenient and becoming expensive ( tampons ) but I have already come this far so I'm going to wait it out before having it removed because I am not in any pain. But I haven't lost my sex drive ( it's gotten better if anything ) , I have not gained any weight, small amount of acne but nothing I can't handle lol. All together I'm pretty happy now that I'm not in pain, I just hope this bleeding stops soon!!! "

Rach19 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2016

"So I had the mirena put in about 2 years ago after migraines and worsening of depression made practically every other contraceptive contraindicated for me. The mirena left me with spotting for a few weeks, and light periods for a couple of months but since then I have only had about 3 tiny bleeds over the last 2 years! I have also been on the implant in the past, which left me constantly spotting brown blood for 6-8 months at a time. It was horrible for me and my partner, but now nothing! However despite eating healthier than before & exercising more I did gain 8 pounds that I haven't been able to shift. I also put weight on much easier. 4 of my friends had the mirena removed due to weight gain and when removed immediately lost it all!"

alh109 May 4, 2016

"I have had my iud inserted February of 2014, now, more than 2 years later I have had it removed today, finally. This birth control has been so horrible for me, so horrible that even if I got offered a million pounds I would still not get that thing anywhere near me again. The first 6 months was okay, I expected it to be uncomfertable and maybe a little painfull but 2 years later the pain only got worse. I took this because I had very painfull and heavy periods, also I kept forgetting the pill. My periods have been super heavy, really painfull and irregular. This is not even the only thing, ever since I have this thing I have had chronic thrush infections and so much discharge that I did not dare to go outside because I was scared."

Cyn96 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 4, 2016

"I have had my mirena for 11 months now and inserted after my second child. My husband and I recently moved across country so I thought for sure my hair loss and anxiety of a new place was due to the stress of moving. However we have now been here for six months and life couldn't be better so when I started having panic attacks out of no where with no history of ever having them I thought for sure I was going crazy. I have terrible mood swings, bloating, weight gain (even with proper diet and exercise), gassy, hair breakage, moderate almost uncontrollable depression (when I have had little and controlled it before), yeast infections, I mean the TMI list can go on and on. I don't recommend this to anyone."

Mirenas hell (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 4, 2016

"I had Mirena inserted in August of 2015. Because I have no kids, it was quite painful but not unbearable to have it inserted. The pain only last a brief moment during insertion. Afterwards I did find myself with menstrual cramps for weeks afterwards, maybe for the first month. I did however see a huge reduction in my amount of monthly bleeding. After a few months it would be just drops, not even enough to fill a panty liner. I do find that I still may get the cramps, but not always the bleeding. I tend to spot from time to time around my period time, but it's extremely light and short. Overall I do like having it and it's much better than the patch and ring which I've used in the past. I like it because I don't have to do anything extra."

Lady803 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2016

"Insertion itself is not very painful, and it's over quickly. The pain I experienced was during the manual dilation, which did make me nearly pass out. The nurse said that was my body's reaction to dilation, and is not uncommon. After 20 minutes or so to recover, I went home. Cramping and spotting for the rest of the day, and occasional cramping for the following week. Cramping was significantly better on days after evening work outs. My partner cannot feel the strings during sex, and I have no idea that the IUD is there. There is no reason for me to believe that I should begin to have more side effects down the road, because a few weeks in all spotting and cramping has subsided."

E Jane April 29, 2016

"I got the mirena feb of 2015 so it's been a little over a year the inserting part wasn't that bad I say a 4. The cramps after about a 6 I bleed for 6 months straight around the third month it was pretty light (panty liner) I broke out on my forehead for about 4 of those months than it went away I have random cramping and Nausea along with pregnancy symptoms ( cravings , nausea bad taste, mood swings ) I also have to wear a panty liner everyday due to more discharge but it colorless and don't have a smell I haven't notice hair loss or nail damage but I do get a light period every month sometimes 5 days some times 8 and it makes my constipated /gasey sometimes I have cravings and sometimes I don't eat cause I feel bloated and full"

Parisgolden April 28, 2016

"Had IUD Mirena inserted last April, 2015, it was excruciating. I bleed for 10 days 1st 3 months & had consent spotting. My periods are dark black blood clots & very few months of heavey red bleeding. There are months I have anywhere to 2/3 periods. I also had extremely bad anxiety/depression, crying fits, gnarly headaches, major cramps and severe mood swings, family hates me/it!!!! I decided to do IUD after Loestrin 24 was disconnected. Am 44 & ever had children. Calling to get it out & back on the pill. I do not recommend this product."

2015 insert April 27, 2016

"I was sold with the fact the WAS going to reduce my periods (never happened) I see my period 2 or 3 times in one month, when i'm not on it i have heavy discharge with a strong odor, tired most of the time and gained some weight, not much but some and has been very difficult to loose those pounds. After a year just made an appointment to have it remove."

Gretchel (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 21, 2016

"I had my Mirena inserted 4 years ago, and got it removed today. I got it inserted at 18, and have had no children. Insertion was a 7 on a pain scale of 1-10, and removal was about a 4. For me, the Mirena was a great choice. I almost never got my period, and when I did it was very light, and only lasted about 3 days. It was nice to have a birth control that I didn't have to remember to take. The only downfalls I had being on Mirena was that I almost no sex drive which put a little bit of a strain on my relationship. I have gained weight while over the course of the 4 years but have been able to maintain it, therefore I'm not sure if the Mirena had any effect on that."

lurbanx71 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 19, 2016

"Had the Mirena put in last August and had it removed yesterday. The Dr.'so tell you it is the gets better but I don't agree. I bled for weeks on end (like 4-5 at a time), was moody and no longer had any sex drive. I already have 4 kids so will go ahead with a tubal ligation instead. Wasn't a good experience at all."

Lhorem April 14, 2016

"I tried this because hey, who doesn't love 5 year birth control that you basically forget about? It was absolutely awful. The insertion experience was excruciating for me. I passed out on the table and vomited. I gained 35lbs in 7 months despite counting calories/working out. I had extremely bad anxiety/depression, I would walk into a place and immediately start pouring sweat. I got terrible acne all along my jawline & back. Extremely low sex drive & I was so emotionless I felt like a robot. I was on the IUD for about 7 months then decided I couldn't handle these issues anymore. The removal was easy, I didn't even feel it. Since then I've lost weight, acne cleared up, sweating went away, and I have emotions again. Would not recommend."

Mouse2 April 9, 2016

"I've had the mirena for over a year. Not all experiences were great but most of the issues that I initially hated have subsided. My boyfriend was getting poked by the string, severe moodswings, hair loss, acne, a month of spotting... I had it all. I was so frustrated! BUT after a year, the string has softened, my face has cleared up, my hair is growing back (I've always had fine hair) and I haven't had any spotting or issues in over 8 months! My mood can still sometimes fluctuate but I've learned how to deal and it's not a problem. Point is, there are a lot of pros about this form of birth control. If you do choose mirena, give it some time for your body to adjust! It can be frustrating but I love the peace of mind and glad I stuck it out"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2016

"After having my second child, I developed a few ovarian cysts and endometriosis. My doctor told me I needed birth control. Out of all the options with birth control, the Mirena seemed to be the best option for me. I don't have to remember to take a pill everyday, my periods are light to non-existent, and I'm still baby-free and cyst-free! This is my 5th year using Mirena. I just recently had it replaced (9 days ago). I'm experiencing a few cramps on my left side, and I was spotting this morning, but that's all normal. The removal of the last Mirena was a bit uncomfortable, but that's the only negative thing I have to say about it."

Ashley T. (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 7, 2016

"This has slowed my period down which is what I want. It's nice that if I decide to do anything with my spouse that I don't have to remember anything. I have been having major spotting and some shooting pains. My doc said the pain isn't from this but it started after I got this. I do not like the spotting or pain."

Jess38778 April 6, 2016

"25 year old Caucasian female. I got it in October; healthy weight, normal blood pressure, not on any medication. I have a history of anxiety, but it was under control. Had cramping, painful breasts an irregular bleeding for weeks but I wanted to tough it out. However, around 4 months after insertion I began to have severe anxiety. This spiraled into very high blood pressure, severe heart palpitations, chest tightness, severe panic attacks, severe depression, severe brain fog, joint pain and headaches. I got referrals to a cardiologist and Mirena was dismissed as the reason. After reading reviews I demanded the doctor remove it. It has been 6 days and I see a significant improvement in all of the above -- hopefully positive trend continues"

Emily A. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2016