User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Review Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 209 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

"When they tell you Mirena can cause irregular periods, they're not joking. I had read a review that someone wrote saying they ruined every pair of underwear that wasn't black, & they definitely were not joking either! Before Mirena I had very heavy periods, I mean super plus in 3 hours on day 1. Mirena has lightened that tremendously! Although in the past 2 months, something has gone haywire! Last month, I had a 3 WEEK LONG PERIOD. It would stop for one day, then kick start as if it's day 1 and on all over again. I am currently on my second week this month, so I called & asked what I can do. They said there's nothing! It is a hormone, so it effects everyone differently. Otherwise, I'm not pregnant, & my 3 wk periods are lighter!"

LoLo8 September 1, 2015

"I had my Mirena inserted on Aug 14th and so far other than bloating and spotting, I'm having a good experience with it. I got mine inserted at planned parenthood and it was uncomfortable but pain was similar to what I experience during pap smears, so not totally undoable. I'm curious to know when those who mentioned it caused weight gain started to notice it? Because I am already overweight and gaining lbs is not an option. Just trying to get a gage on when I should stop checking the scale relentlessly for any change. Thanks."

jwalt2010 August 31, 2015

"Okay, it's been a year. Insertion was fine, until the silly woman cut the strings and caught my cervix with the scissors. I yelped a bit. Tiny periods now, lasting about 2 days. And not pregnant, so it works.. However the strings were cut too short, so when it's time to come out I'll have to be sedated and have my cervix forceably dilated, which doesn't sound much fun. And oh my - the pains. I've only had it about four times now, but jeez. It honestly feels like having a c-section while awake. Of course there were fears of perforations etc, but after scans and pee tests and blood tests, they couldn't figure out what was wrong. It just hurt so bad, for no reason at all. I'd have it out, but the procedure for me now sounds horrendous.."

:Rae: August 28, 2015

"I had the mirena put in four days ago, having it inserted was painful, like a heavy cramp that lasted for a minute. I bled I was already on my cycle. But so far so good. No problems so far."

Anonymous August 28, 2015

"I just had my 2nd Mirena put in today. I'm 41 and had to stop taking the Pill when I turned 35 because I am a smoker. I haven't thought about my IUD since the first week I had it put in 5 years ago - that's how well it works for me. Removal was much less painful than I thought it would be. It felt like a "tug" inside. Insertion is never fun. It feels like a strong contraction. It's been 6 hours since my appointment, I have no bleeding and just a little cramping. I have never had any problems with hormonal based Birth Control - if you have, Mirena might not be the best option for you, talk to your doctor."

WhenD (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 27, 2015

"35 years old, w heavy periods. I've had my IUD for 4 months and I love it! Perk #1: My obamacare covered 100% of it. My health insurance has never covered my pills. $20 a mo? NO MORE. I just saved over $1200! Perk #2: No more pills! And super effective birth control! And zero hassle. Perk #3: I spotted for a month. Now I'm super light periods & only a few minor cramps just before bleeding. Saving a ton of $ on tampons. And I can use REGULAR tampons now! No more ultras! Insertion felt like someone gave me a big pinch. Then it was over. 1st 2 weeks were uncomfortable. My weight, mood and complexion remain unaffected. I've been on almost every type of BC at 1 point or another. Hands down this is the BEST. Wish I'd done it years ago."

SillyWillyNillyLilly August 26, 2015

"I had my mirena inserted 3 weeks ago on the 28th. The procedure itself was probably the most painful thing I have ever experienced, however the doctor had a hard time getting my cervix to cooperate so it took longer than most. I was on the 2nd day of my period when I got it inserted and when I went in it was fairly heavy and I had really bad cramps. Literally since the day of insertion my period hasn't ended. It is extremely light, some days barely even spotting, and I haven't needed to use a tampon or anything since. It is kind if a nuissance but after reading many reviews and talking with friends I feel like it will be worth it in the long run. Do some research yourself as well as talk to your doctor about options before making a decision"

Pootypow August 26, 2015

"I experienced normal bleeding after getting it put in was a little worried because I bleed for a while after getting it put in. Was told it was normal. I have since not even thought about it. I have no problems or issues with it actually really like this birth control and I've tried many before"

use2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 24, 2015

"Thought I'd share my experience thus far. 32 yr old, no children. Had Mirena inserted Aug 10th. Gyne prescribed cervix softener to be inserted night before insertion and recommend I take Advil 1 hr before procedure. I still felt a sharp pain that lasted all of about a minute upon insertion. After insertion had mild cramping for two days and light to moderate spotting/Brown discgarge since insertion. I am really happy with it so far."

Happy with Mirena August 23, 2015

"I've been using Mirena for 3 years, after initial spotting I have yet to have a period. Once in a great while I'll spot a little bit. But I'm having it removed as soon as my husband gets a vasectomy because I am carrying around 15 extra pounds and my mood swings have been bad for all these years. I work out 5x/week and eat clean 90% of the time but cannot lose the weight. I am sick of it. I can't wait to be free of this. It was a good, convenient form of birth control, just not for me anymore."

Fytress (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 23, 2015

"After having two children, I opted to have the Mirena inserted at my 6week PP visit, instead of using the pill. The insertion wasn't painful for me personally, however, I had it put in mid-end April, and it is now 4.5 months later and I have had bleeding/spotting everyday since that time. I have yet to have an actual period, but have spotted / bled enough every day since the insertion, with more painful cramps (daily) that I had previously on a regular. cycle. Also, I never experienced migraines in the past, and since the mirena I get them frequently (at least one biweekly) that brings nausea and effects my vision. I waited 5 months to give my body time to adjust, but at this point yes it's doing its job but the sideeffects are not worth it"

J4bz August 21, 2015

"I had mirena right after my 2nd child in 2009. Insertion wasnt bad at all. Felt like mild cramping I felt like passing out only bc I stopped breathing from being nervous. But I bled...literally for 3 weeks straight. After that I was fine but I gained 10 lbs and I was a total nutcase. I had it in for 2 years. The removal was the worst it felt like she was pulling my insides out. I just had my 3rd child and I am trying skyla...every person is different. Talk to your dr she or he knows you the best"

Erinab August 20, 2015

"I am a graduate student who has never had children and got the mirena because IUD's have the highest rate of success (especially over time) for birth control. The insertion was painful (pain scores 7-8) but I slept for a couple hours after the procedure and when i woke up the pain had subsided to a 2-3 (out of 10). I had very light spotting the first couple of weeks, but have not had a period since the insertion (I had the device placed early June 2015). I have noticed some moderate back acne and slight weight gain, but I am unsure whether those can be attributed to other life circumstances at this point. If the weight gain continues I will write another review, but at this point my experience has been great."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2015

"Alright ladies I'm here to tell you a mirena experience that was actually pleasant! I was 18 and I got it inserted last July (2014). Most people experienced a horrible, painful insertion but this can be prevented! Before I had it inserted I told my OBGYN to numb my cervix ( she used a spray and within 30 seconds I was good to go ). The whole procedure took less that 1 minute and 30 seconds. Afterwards I felt No craps, no nausea, no headache and even to this day no weight gain. However, after I got mirena I got my period 2 weeks later. At first it was like an ordinary period, but it didn't end like one because I spotted for a whole month straight But after that I've been period free for almost a year. I love this thing. I trust it so much."

VivianB. August 17, 2015

"I decided to write a review because I wish someone told me this on one. Most people who are unhappy with anything will write a review but the people who are happy don't think to write reviews. Thus, I want to share how I am so happy with my experience. I only just got it in today, but so far so good. It's been about 6 hours & I am having mild cramping. The insertion process was a bit painful, but doable. I recommend taking ibuprofin before. But if you are hesitant because of the bad reviews, then take a minute & realize that everyone is different, & most people don't share the good reviews! I say go for it and see how it works with your body!"

Sarah 1234 August 14, 2015

"I was pretty scared to get my Mirena in after reading reviews on it, but I have to say personally that I really liked the Mirena. I got mine put in two weeks ago and yes the procedure was very painful since I am 18 and never had any kids. I would recommend taking advill extra strength gel caps, those seem to work the best for me. Hours after I got mine done I was in a bunch if pain. I had really bad cramps, fever and I was puking which was not fun at all. But the next day all the pain went away and I felt like myself again. I only bled for three days after getting it in then it completely went away and I am in no more pain! I am able to have sex with my bf normally, and the only side effects I endured was loss of appetite."

luckgirl August 14, 2015

"Been on mirena for almost 2 years now. Insertion was painful. Felt like very bad cramps and was bleeding for 2 weeks but after that ,my period completely stopped. It was the best thing ever. Did not have much side effects.I am a very active person and always concious about my weight. Since the beginning of this year I've started notice watery discharge, heavy mood swings, depression (cried about everything and anything), constantly feel like I've swollen a balloon, no one is allowed near my tummy, and picked up about 5kg's in one month. Went to doctor yesterday and mirena caused very big cyst filled with hormones - no wonder!Could not get it out yesterday so I'm scheduled for op today. Just want to feel normal again! Would not recommend!!!"

Heavy moody and bloated August 14, 2015

"I'm 23 years old and have had my mirena for more than 2 years and I am in love with it. Insertion hurt for a few seconds but it was quick. I recommend taking a pain pill beforehand. An hour after insertion, I went to class. I was a little tender for a couple of hours but I wasn't uncomfortable, I wasn't in pain and I couldn't feel the mirena. That month I had a light period for 2 weeks and I had some light spotting during the second month after insertion. I have been period-free since then. It's so liberating. All I have to do is have my doctor check its strings every year. Sex is comfortable and pain-free and I feel great. I haven't suffered from any negative side effects. I will probably get another one in 3 years."

Mandy Moore 90 August 13, 2015

"My doctor scheduled me to get Mirena today and wanted to read the reviews I've used Norplant way back in 1993-1998. Hated it so nothing in my arms and no depo. Pill I tried wasn't working for what I needed. Since I smoke I can't use many pills. Hoping it works out for me. I'll update after its in."

KatnipFactory (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2015

"I'm only going to make a review on the insertion as I just had it done this morning. I took an extra strength Tylenol 40mins prior to the procedure. Doctor warned me that I will feel a pinch and cramping but I didn't feel a thing at all. I was so happy! I'd been scared and anxious for days!"

GeorginaSpeaks17 August 11, 2015

"Have had this almost 5 years now, Ive been terrific on it. Had massively heavy bleeding prior so much so I could not leave the house without a baby nappy for a pad, for real hey, at 45 at the time I was over that. They wouldnt do a hysterectomy. They offered the Mirena and I was skeptical. I have had a great run, no periods for 4.5 years at least - love that. No side effects, no moods, no bloating - NOTHING. Im due now to have it out and I tell you what, Im getting another."

Bookiwi (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 10, 2015

"I have had my mirena for about a week and a half and I love it. Not having to rememeber the pill is 1000000% better. However, the insertion process was very painful. I have never had a child before which also makes its very uncomfortable. When she touched the back wall of my uterus it was literally one of the most uncomfortable painful cramps ever. It only took about 2 minutes though. After the procedure I had extreme and intense cramping for 5 hours after. the next 5 days I had on and of cramps that were uncomfortable but tolerable. I highly recommend the mirena iud because it is effective and a bit of pain for five years of protection is completely worth it. Don't let the pain keep your from getting this amazing form of birth control!"

Colleen Casey 1996 August 9, 2015

"I recently got the Mirena IUD since I am a sexually active 16 year old & I don't a want a baby! I went to my health clinic which pretty much does anything for teens under 18 years of age for free. When I got the IUD I was told to take medication before I came and I probably should had listened! Because when they pinch your cervix to put it in it feels like really bad cramps. I suggest taking 4 (depending on the pill) of some kinda of pain reliever 4 & 1 hour prier to the procedure. After I got it heading home I had bad cramps my symptom's lasted for about a week and a half which sucked I had all the symptoms of pregnancy you could say. Symptom's were high sense of smell, nausea, couldn't keep down most foods, light headed, bleeding"

obeymsfaith (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2015

"I was very excited to finally be worry free and have my periods go away. I got Mirena inserted about 2 1/2 months ago and I've only had one week within all this time that I wasn't bleeding. I've always had a heavy flow along with horrible cramps so the only difference now is a little bit lighter and constant spotting every single day. I can't go in the pool, I can't have sex, I've stained pants, I've had a very horrible experience truthfully. My boyfriend was complaining whenever we did have sex that he felt like something was pinching his penis. the process to have it inserted is very uncomfortable and a little internal pain. I'm planning on having it removed as soon as possible because I haven't had one benefit from mirena."

chelseygeeee August 8, 2015

"I am 22, no prior children, I have endometriosis & was told Mirena was the best option. The implementation process was hell. The worst pain I have ever been in. I fainted & had to have a friend pick me up. I left it in for 10 months. Within those 10 months I'd gained 18 pounds (on a 5 foot tall person that's horrible), I was moody, had the worst cramps, hair loss, acne, horrible headaches, the appetite of a sumo wrestler, & didn't want to do anything. I felt lazy and borderline depressed. They don't tell you those side effects for obvious reasons. Yesterday I finally had it removed. Being traumatized by having it put in I about made myself sick with nerves. The removal was quick and painless and I already feel like myself again."

Nolongeramirenauser August 8, 2015