User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Review Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 212 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

"Awful. I had such high hopes for it. I expected to bleed for a bit before it tapered off and regulated. I was willing to wait it out until the hormones were in my system. I bled for 5 months. Not heavy, but enough that I'd need a light tampon. I also started shedding hair at an alarming rate. Pro: Not pregnant (it's easy to not get pregnant when you aren't having sex though, due to constant bleeding) Pro: Not ultra tampon heavy like I was on paragard Con: Nonstop bleeding, bad clotting, all the damn time. Con: Hair loss"

MlsaSlv August 2, 2015

"22, no children. So it's been about two hours since I had the Mirena inserted. I must admit that I was pretty horrified by some of the cringe-worthy reviews had seen, and I was very nervous going in today. The pain was quite awful for about 5 seconds, then I had a bit of cramping, followed by some sweating, all of which subsided rather quickly. The whole procedure couldn't have been more than 5 minutes. I'm not experiencing any pain as of right now, but I do feel a little fullness and pressure. Overall, not the nightmarish experience I had expected."

mndubose July 31, 2015

"I am 25 and I had the Mirena inserted 4 months ago. The doctor told me I will experience slight discomfort for the first three weeks and that my bleeding may be abnormal-but what I experienced was far beyond that. The pain on ONLY my right side started to become more severe and COMPLETELY random, it woke me up at nights. I thought it was just my body getting used to the foreign device in my body, after all the doc did say it would take some time. I gave it 4 months of daily agonizing pain and many doc appointments just making sure the Mirena was in place and nothing was wrong. The doc kept me assured that everything was in place and basically hinted that I was simply being dramatic. IUD's aren't worth it to me, I'm back to pills. Too scary!"

AnastasiaFaust July 30, 2015

"Having had the mirena in for nearly two years at doctors advice, I'm having it removed on Thursday as its the worst thing to have done. It has made me depressed, mood swing are horrendous to the point my children and husband are getting it all. I have no desire what so ever to be intimate with my husband. I feel like I have lost control of my body. The only plus is I don't have periods , PLEASE do your research and choose wisely which contraceptive method you have."

ANGE1976 July 28, 2015

"I had the Mirena inserted two weeks ago on the second day of my period. I have had two children and I didn't feel the insertion of the device AT ALL. My doctor did use the ultrasound machine to make sure the placement was correct. I took 800mg of ibuprofen before I went to my appt. I had slight cramping and have had light/bleeding since. I am and avid runner and I have no problems with pain after rigorous exercise or intercourse. I am hoping that as the weeks go by the light bleeding decreases. It's worth 4 years of birth control to me."

acbro July 25, 2015

"I was 23 years old when I gave birth to my daughter and decided I wanted to give Mirena a try as my next birth control. I have high hormone levels which makes regular birth control a nightmare due to the frequent migraines. So after exhuasting most birth control choices before my daughter's birth, Mirena was one of the last choices I had left. I've had it for over a year now (May, 2015) and I have no conplaints. I still get the slight cramping as if I am going to start my cycle but no blood and no major pain from it. It was a choice that really worked for me."

WaterLilly737 July 22, 2015

"Was on microgynon for two years because of heavy periods, and while it worked I was awful at remembering to take it. So I heard mirena could be an alternative and after a bit of research reading both really positive and really negative reviews I figured it was different for everyone and I wouldn't know unless I tried it myself. I was a little scared as not only have I never had a child, I am a Virgin ( age 20). But I took two paracetamol and went in completed relaxed listening to music. if you stress you will tighten up and it will inevitably hurt more. Yes it hurt,but for about 5 mins. I bled the first day, but not since. It's been three months, no spotting or bleeding at all. Incredible, best decision I made. Pain killers+relax=success"

Carrotcake July 21, 2015

"I went through a medical abortion and I decided to get the Mirena IUD because the pill wasn't working for me. I had mirena inserted 9 days after my abortion. After my insertion, I felt no pain. I drove home pretty happy with my decision and relaxed for the rest of my day. Six hours later, I started getting really horrible cramps. It was so bad that I began having second thoughts, almost as bad as the abortion... Laying down, some hot soup and a heating pad made things tolerable. The next day, the cramps dramatically subsided, and by the end of my first week, the cramps were nonexistent or very rare. It's been a month and I'm still spotting, but I'm very happy with my decision so far. Btw my boyfriend never feels it and he's at least 7in..."

Ellaq235 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2015

"I had the Mirena put in aprox. 5 days ago. I'm 23 have had 4 miscarriages and in decided I will not try anymore. I asked my doctor about the IUD and he was very happy in my decision. Anyway to start off with yes it hurt like hell. Then I felt fine got up from the table. Walked to the front desk and nearly passed out my blood pressure dropped well below normal and they said it is normal. I recovered in full. Was able to drive home. I have had mild cramping and just spotting not even enough to wear a pantie liner. I have had some pimples pop up but totally worth it. Tonight me and my husband had sex and all the pain I had felt during sex before has gone away. It's amazing. He didn't have to be careful either. Matter of fact I can't believe it"

Kayvan3679 July 20, 2015

"I got mirena to help my endometriosis . I no longer have pain, no longer have headaches that the pill gave me . The iud has made my life so much better and easier . I spot occasionally and have a very light period it's very nice !"

Happy mirena user July 17, 2015

"I switched to Mirena because I was sick of consistently taking the pill at the same time. I haven't had kids before- so the insertion was pretty painful (although about 5 minutes in duration...easier than childbirth). I was crampy and had normal period bleeds for about 2 weeks and thought what have I gotten myself into. After that- it's almost like it all went away. I have minimal spotting occasionally and maybe a morning of cramps once a month. No pill to remember. And my partner stated the first time we had sex he felt the string but since it has softened he cannot. I love this birth control and would recommend it."

Jojosephine July 17, 2015

"I had the Mirena inserted 6 months ago, and slowly but surely my mood and mental state have been deteriorating ever since. Where I would normally have PMS I now cry so much I can't go to work or even answer the phone. My mood crashes with the suddenness and intensity of having a bucket of ice water poured over my head. My sex drive is gone. And this for something the doctors keep saying doesn't influence your moods because the hormones are localised in the body!? And when I finally got hold of someone from Mirena themselves they just told me to go on anti-depressants. I can't wait to get it out of me tomorrow."

Beth 1012 July 13, 2015

"I've had my IUD for almost 6 months now. I researched a lot about birth control before picking the Mirena. In the beginning, after having it in, it is a rough ride. Bad cramping, bleeding for a month straight. Once that stops and ur body adjusts, it's pretty nice to not have to think about birth control. I still PMS, get cramps, and have spotting around the time I would be having my period but not anything like how it was naturally. I have concerns about long term affects bc I'm only 21 and I would love to have babies one day, just not right now. Bc IUD are so new they are still working out long term affects so I would only suggest getting one if you are done having kids."

Alliebananas July 10, 2015

"I'm 22 y/o and I just had my first baby and just got the Mirena 4 days ago. My doctor told me to get the Mirena as a birth control instead of any contraceptive pills because pills will decrease my milk supply. I was having second thought getting this because of other people's review which scares me so much. However, my partner tried to convince me to give mirena a try. My doctor also introduced me to mirena and she ask me some question to determine if it's suitable for me. Although I had second thought about getting it, I still did because I'm not good at keeping track on stuffs if ever I have to take pills. The insertion didn't even take 5mins. I felt a slight discomfort. I just had minor cramps but overall it was a good choice."

Incessa (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 10, 2015

"Had it inserted an hour ago. All good. Took 1 Valium and 2 Nurofen one hour prior. Have bicornuate uterus, significantly retroverted, no kids and am 46. Had it done during my period which is the norm in Australia. Inserted speculum and .Dr washed the cervix and gave 4 local anaesthetic injections into the cervix. Deep breath then cough really helped when she did each injection. Pain 4/10. As there is adrenalin in the local anaesthetic can make heart race and legs shake. Stopped after a couple of mins. Not uncomfortable. Dr Inserted Mirena, stung a little and then voila finished - 15 mins total. RN held my hand, distracted me and reassured me. Very professional. Totally different than what I expected after all the alarmist stories."

Hostitute (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2015

"previously on pills and they were driving me mad and not working (severe headaches and cramps) so I decided to try the coil, afterall if it doesnt work I can get it removed. The first week was fine, I did end up with severe cramps but my doctor booked me in for a scan and checked it was fine which it was and we just put the cramps down to my body adjusting to the coil. I had very light periods for around two/three months and then my periods completely stopped and have done ever since. i still have very mild cramps but nothing like what i had on the pill, I'm really happy with the mirena and would recommend but you need to be aware its not for everyone but worth a try!!!"

laura.mo July 9, 2015

"I'm 17 never had kids, and was on the drop shot but wanted to get something that I could just leave in and not worry about. I got mirena in and it did hurt but only for a split second, I don't even remember the pain now, I had cramps instantly but they only last a couple hours, I had no spotting or bleeding,(most likely because I was also covered with my drop shot). Overall it was a very easy procedure, only took 3 mins and not very painful, I would recommend this to anyone!"

noname123 July 8, 2015

"I was recommended Mirena after I got a blood clot at 17 years old due to a protein s deficiency, Mirena was my only option. I decided after years of research that it was time to try it out. Having never had kids I was told the insertion and everything would be a little more painful than a mother would experience (my mom was on Mirena) the insertion was painful, but after I was fine. About 3 days later I was in so much pain that I kept throwing up and couldn't stand up straight, my gyno said this was normal... I've had my IUD in for 1.5 years, about twice a year a get pain like I did originally. I've noticed mood swings, weight gain and total loss of any sex drive. Only reason I've kept it this long is it's my only option"

S_Wagner (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2015

"So. I tried typing my whole story but there is a limit on this text box. SO. I had it placed when I was 16 in 2014 at planned parenthood in Tacoma, WA. Placement was intensely painful, but only it did only take about 10 minutes (including measurement and placement). I had a 6 week period (last two-ish weeks were just spotting) but since then I have not had a period except for very occasional light spotting after sex (only if I have sex more that once in a day) and it only lasts an hour or so. I absolutely love my mirena. I will FOR SURE have it replaced when my 5 years are up. Although I have heard that I should play it safe and have it replaced at 4 or 4.5 years. I am sad that there are so many negative reviews because this is truly a life"

SidneyElisabeth July 8, 2015

"November 2011 at age 19 I went to the gyno to discuss birth control options with the doctor and my fiance (now husband). Children were not a part of our plan so young so we decided to get the Mirena. Financially it was the best option, not to mention the most convenient.The insertion was definitely uncomfortable, and the first 3 months were rough as the IUD settled in and I got that awful jabbing feeling. I gained about 10-15 pounds, but that is an effect of just about any birth control option you use. After being on it almost 4 years I randomly spot, but it's done it's job. If you can hang in for the 1st 3 months or so, and you're looking for an effective, hassle free, long-term birth control I strongly suggest this method!"

ProMirena (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2015

"I am 21 years old and I got my mirena inserted July 2nd because my gyno recommended it to me instead of pill birth control. I didn't take any medicine since I didn't have any on me but I did experience a terrible cramp feeling when I had it inserted. I took Advil for the next 48 hours. I still experience cramps every day but it's not unbearable. I am hoping it goes away soon. My period is gone but I have been spotting a tiny bit, nothing crazy. After hearing all these crazy stories I am getting a little nervous about this. I will right again in a week or so."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2015

"I'm a 33yr w female. Married, no children. My primary care doc inserted Mirena yesterday. Insertion is weird but it does feel similar to monthly cramps. Heavy bleeding after and that night. Today feel fine with lt-mod spotting. I plan to do a follow up post monthly. Stay tuned for details :)"

TexasTea2015 (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2015

"I had my Mirena inserted September 2011, background info: Im in my twenties and have 1 partner and i have not had any children. My doctor wanted me to try the nuvaring first but I said i'd like the mirena for ease of use. The insertion was uncomfortable, and i had some cramping that day but nothing you cant handle! :) Overall, I like the Mirena. I have spotting off and on, but I only need a panty liner when it happens. No acne or weight gain, I do have a decrease in libido and i find that if i have an orgasm it is painful as I get cramps after (maybe that increase my decrease desire? due to expectant pain...). I'll be keeping in the mirena for another year to make it to the 5 year point, but Ill be removing it then."

Woodycanada July 7, 2015

"Had mirena inserted 6/11/15. I was approx 9 weeks postpartum from my fourth child. My Ob/Gyn suggested mirena for me . I read reviews beforehand and was a little scared about the insertion process; however, I did not feel anything much. It felt like a pap smear to me and only felt the odd sensation of the device being released but it was not painful. I was on day 2 of my period and it basically stopped that same evening. I did start bleeding lightly a week later and that continued to my dismay for 2 and a half more weekes it was never heavy, only light to slightly moderate and much lighter than my heavier period days. I thought the bleeding would never end and wanted to yank it out! Today is my first blood free day and I am hope it lasts!"

cocoaplum July 6, 2015

"I have had 2 Mirena's. I had my first one inserted immediately after my second child. It was uncomfortable but not painful. I had it for the full five year. I loved it! I had it removed and was pregnant with my third child within 3 months. I had my second mirena inserted a year after birth. This time it was much more painful at insertion. Again, great experience for another 5 years. I had no cramping, no menstrual cycle, and no "bad" side effects. Over the last 10 years I have gained 20 pounds. I never experienced any kind of Mirena crash. For someone who does not want to worry about a daily or monthly birth control and wants something long term, I would recommend Mirena."

TraciaH (taken for 10 years or more) July 6, 2015