Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

OK so pretty much a few days out of each month I would spot very light, no cramps. For the first 6months. Thr first two months i was kind of heavy but it would subside really quickly. After that some months I wouldn't even spot at all. The procedure hurt a little. But that was to be expected. Overall I'm happy with it. Barely any cramps.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2015 1:11 PM

Review by Logan Ragsdale:

I got my Mirena on October 3, 2013. And I have bleed for 96% of it. But now I can tell a difference, it's working now like it should.

February 19, 2015 10:21 PM

Review by Blahblah2:

I absolutely love this thing. I had crazy side effects for the first 8 months, the doctor will tell you six. After the 8 months my periods have been great, I don't have to think about taking a pill everyday, and wearing pesky condoms. It's lovely I'd recommend it any day

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2015 10:25 AM

Review by MnAnmlNurse:

Had it inserted 12/3/14 and haven't stopped bleeding. My husband and I got to have sex for the first time in 2.5 months. I have period like cramping all of the time. Insertion was almost painless. I was hoping this would be the answer to my irregular periods after having my second son via c-section 4/14/14.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 11, 2015 9:12 PM

Review by YetAnotherJanelle:

I got my Mirena in Dec 2014. I was taking the mini pill for years. I get classic migraines and can't take estrogen birth control. I had missed some pills in Sept 2014 & had an ectopic pregnancy. Once my body recovered from that, my doc suggested Mirena. I always read "horror" stores about it, but after what I just went through, I decided to give it a try. I'm 36, with 3 kids, so not having to worry about birth control for a couple years is great. The insertion was uncomfort Level 5, but over & done quick. Spotting about a week. Periods are so light that I barely need a pad. I haven't noticed any weight gain or acne. No issues with sex & I think my libido has gone up. Thus far, I'm REALLY satisfied and wish I had done it sooner.

January 24, 2015 11:00 AM

Review by Dessabear (taken for less than 1 month):

Got the Mirena in almost 2 weeks ago, and I must say I love it so far! Horrible cramps for the first 5 or so hours after insertion (had to drive home) and almost couldn't take it. Heating pad helped bunches along with laying on my back. The cramps went away the next day! I even went to work. A few cramps here and there, but that's expected. Nothing too unbearable. I'm also a 21yo with NO kids. My boyfriend also can't feel it. One thing though, the antibiotics they put you on day of insertion did give me a Yeast Infection. Went away a couple days later. Love the Mirena so far!

January 23, 2015 11:57 AM

Review by HSF (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was scared to get Mirena after reading all the horror stories but got it anyways and I'm liking it so far! I'm 20 years old with no kids. Cramping during insertion and off and on for a few days after, nothing unbearable. Skin has gotten better and I've actually lost weight but this might not have anything to do with Mirena. Only downside is I'm still spotting but my doctor said it should be gone within a month or so. No pain during sex and my boyfriend says he can't feel the strings either. Would definitely recommend! Don't let all the horror stories scare you.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 20, 2015 1:26 AM

Review by Mama knows:

I am getting mine taken out next week. I've been on it for almost two years and have bleeding 95% of the time.

January 16, 2015 10:13 PM

Review by mlsr:

I love Mirena. I am 26 and never had kids before. I had my Mirena inserted 7 months ago, little pain when MD inserted. Little cramps but it all want away. I have gain few pounds. Overall it is a great birth control.

January 15, 2015 8:50 AM

Review by Jcontreras25 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I had the Mirena for 6 years, I loved it. The pros for me were no period at all just a little spotting every now and then, I did not have any pain at all. The only thing I have to say negative about it was that I did gain some weight and I had a very hard time losing weight with it, but I was ok with it. I guess it did not have to worry about getting pregnant it did its job. I just removed it 2 days ago and am just letting my period start up again.

January 5, 2015 10:05 AM

Review by Andrea B:

I feel like the people who say that they had a painful insertion are only the ones who have either never had a baby or never had cramps. When they put mine in it was only uncomfortable, not painful. There was some minor cramping afterwards, but I am noticing that I am struggling with losing weight. After my second child I was able to drop my weight pretty well, but now after my third and having this in it is really hard and I feel like I retain a lot of water.

December 31, 2014 11:11 AM

Review by Kimberley audrey:

I'm on my second Mirena and I think it's great! The first one I got, took a long time to stop spotting.. I was frustrated and wanted it out. My doctor's office, suggested waiting, and giving it a chance. I'm really happy I listened! Each month, it got better. Those beginning days, are so far behind me now.. I haven't had any problems, at all.. Definitely worth it!

December 29, 2014 11:49 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have had the Mirena for almost three years now and love it. Insertion was not painful at all. Just a little uncomfortable. I bled for two months then my periods went back to normal. After a year they went away completely. I'm very thankful for that. I suffered from really bad menstrual cramps and severe mood swings. Once I got the Mirena my moods seemed to balance out. My cramps have disappeared. I have noticed even though I don't get a period I still get minor PMS symptoms. I would recommend this to any woman looking for a convenient birth control that works. Also I am glad it does not have estrogen in it. Some of the estrogen based birth control gives me migraines and causes me to be moody.

December 29, 2014 1:49 AM

29 years old and two kids. I've had the Mirena since February 2013. I would recommend it but my only issue is I bleed for a day or two after sex. But not during so it's no problem with my husband and I.

December 27, 2014 10:27 PM

Review by MariG (taken for less than 1 month):

I got Mirena inserted December 15, 2014 and I LOVE IT! I am 21 years old with no children. The insertion was very very painful. I bled and cramped the day of the insertion and day afterwards. So far, its been one week and I feel fantastic!

December 22, 2014 7:48 AM

Review by angelica20:

I'm 20yrs old, with one toddler. I read about this choice of birth control for weeks and finally got it today. The process wasn't to bad. Cramping at first and slight dizziness afterwards.

December 18, 2014 7:03 PM

Review by gmbmw75mo:

I had Mirena inserted 5 months ago and am still having very heavy periods with horrible cramps. Periods are lasting about 3 weeks and then I only get a 2 week respite before it starts again. I've also gained quite a bit of weight these past 5 months. Thinking about having it removed. After reading and hearing others comments, I have noticed that those that have not had children are having more issues and side effects than the women that have had children.

December 13, 2014 7:45 PM

Review by Patchgurl86:

I had Mirena inserted 3 yrs ago. Only a little cramping after insertion, periods stop within 2 months, no acne but a little lower back pain and weight gain. Mirena is still worth it though. Very happy with this product.

December 13, 2014 8:32 AM

Review by hfischer:

I just had the Mirena inserted yesterday. I'm 22 years old with no kids. The procedure was very painful. I felt nauseous afterwards and felt like I was gonna pass out during it. I had major cramping and bleeding for the rest of the day. Today I only have mild cramping and some spotting. So it seems to be getting better.

December 12, 2014 12:21 PM

Review by loks Momma:

Well I just had my first child at 25, never had tried birth control and I choose to go with Mirena to prevent pregnancy for 3 years. It has been about 7 months and I love I don't have to use condoms but I haven't been regular since I got it in.. it does effect my sex life, but I'm hoping that very soon I'll have no more periods. I do recommend it. I didn't have pain even though my doctor had little problem with putting it in but I felt little to no pressure and light spotting. So hopefully my period goes away and I don't get pregnant and I will give it a 10.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2014 2:16 AM

Review by youngandwildandfree (taken for less than 1 month):

I got the Mirena inserted about 4 days ago on the first day of my period. Since I'm 19 I got it for free at a teen clinic! I experienced bad cramping with insertion because I have not had a child, but it was nothing I haven't felt before. I have a heavy menstrual flow so I bled and cramped a lot the first three days, but now it's day 5 and I am not even spotting at all. Obviously it's soon to tell if I'll have other symptoms or irregular bleeding but so far the process has been a breeze for me and I love my Mirena!

December 9, 2014 12:50 PM

Review by Newlywed3:

Periods went away completely, Gained 15 lbs, nausea often, but did prevent pregnancy.

December 8, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by Be patient!:

Just wanted to chime in a positive review for Mirena. I had the Mirena inserted in July of 2014. I did not think it was painful at all - just like an intense cramp for about 10 seconds, but I think everyone has a different body and a different pain tolerance. My gyno warned me that side effects take 3-6 months to go away. I randomly spotted for the first 2 months or so - not terrible, just annoying. The one side effect that I didn't like was that when my period would normally be happening, I wouldn't bleed, but I would get really light-headed/zoned out for a few days. I was a little worried by the second month that had happened (September 2014), but it never happened again. Mirena has been FANTASTIC since. No period/spotting, not pregnant.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2014 12:48 PM

Review by Anon1989 (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm 25 years old,and I have always had painful heavy periods for as long as I can remember and after I had my first child (C-section ) my hormones were so messed up, I was hemorrhaging and ended up in the hospital. I tried every kind of birth control you can think of. Mirena was my last choice, since they wouldn't give me a hysterectomy because of my age. The procedure was the most painful experience. I guess since I haven't had intercourse in over a year, and didn't have a vaginal birth, my cervix has never been dilated. After 4 times trying to put the Mirena in, It was in. First day was absolutely terrible. But after that it was okay. Light spotting occasionally. Would recommend this to women who have had a vaginal birth.

December 6, 2014 7:16 AM

Review by Me78:

12/14 Love It! I'm 36, have a Toddler and I am done having children. I was on birth control pills for years, but as I'm no longer having children Mirena is a great reversible (if you so choose). My doctor measured my uterus, cut to Mirena to size & Insertion took less than 2 minutes. A quick pinch & it was done. Your doctors skill & your body dictate the pain level, let's face it. I lightly cramped for a couple days afterward from my body acclimating, but otherwise, I have had zero issues. If you are looking for a long term birth control solution, Mirena is Fabulous!

December 5, 2014 8:21 PM