User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Review Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 213 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

"I have had 2 Mirena's. I had my first one inserted immediately after my second child. It was uncomfortable but not painful. I had it for the full five year. I loved it! I had it removed and was pregnant with my third child within 3 months. I had my second mirena inserted a year after birth. This time it was much more painful at insertion. Again, great experience for another 5 years. I had no cramping, no menstrual cycle, and no "bad" side effects. Over the last 10 years I have gained 20 pounds. I never experienced any kind of Mirena crash. For someone who does not want to worry about a daily or monthly birth control and wants something long term, I would recommend Mirena."

TraciaH (taken for 10 years or more) July 6, 2015

"I'm a big fan of IUDs. I had two Paragards after having my last child at age 29. When I started to have heavy bleeding I opted for the Mirena to help control that and to avoid an ablation. It's been great for controlling bleeding and my periods are few and far between. I am going to be 50 next year and my estrogen levels are still pretty good - meaning I am still a fertile myrtle. So, for now, the Mirena has been a great thing for me. There have been no mood swings, no heavy bleeding, no weight gain and no other noticeable side effects."

round raven July 5, 2015

"I am 21 with no kids I got it inserted April 7th and the insertion was pretty painful, but manageable, don't let the fear of insertion stop you from getting it because it only lasts about five minutes. The worst part for me has been pretty much nonstop bleeding and constantly being bloated, I gained about five pounds since I got it. I had a normal period the first month, but I have been bleeding ever since June 9th, the nurse said it was normal, but I have become anemic because of it. I also now have cysts on my ovaries which may or may not be related to the mirena, but they are painful and I have to go back to check on them. I'm still not sure if I made the right decision with mirena I mean I'm not pregnant, so it's doing what I wanted."

Areno (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015

"I was asked by Dr to try Mirena as the pill was causing a skin condition of my vulva to get worse. I didn't want to as the progesterone only pill when nursing made me gain weight. But she suggested 3 months so I agreed to prevent my PCOS. It hurt A LOT!! I cramped really bad for an hour and bled for a day or two. I then had 2 periods per month. Yes, they were lighter and no pain (it helps with pain my Dr said.) I also had dizzines. I felt like I could faint often! I also was very forgetful. I forgot my son's ortho appt 2xs and never had in 3 years!!! I hardly ever have acne and did all the time. I have been off a month and that quit, normal period. I lost hair but have lots. It did not hurt coming out my only good comment. Ha"

JavaMamaKC July 4, 2015

"I've had my mirena for 5 months now, I'm 23 years old with no kids although I've had a miscarriage. The pain lasted about 2 minutes while the doctor was inserting the Mirena, other than that no complaints. I don't have a period anymore (which is awesome since my period was heavy +++ before the mirena). My mood is normal and my sex drive actually increased. I would definitely recommend the Mirena to other women!"

Young Professional July 3, 2015

"Got it when I was 18. No kids. Covered 100% Insertion felt like a bad period cramp. Was over before I knew it. Cramped for maybe a day or two. Manageable. My partner hardly complained that he felt the strings They never hurt him just sometimes they needed to be adjusted. I kept it in for 6 years because I didn't have insurance anymore. On the 6th year I had a light regular period. I had no weight gain, no mood swings (hormones are localized with mirena), no acne problems. No side effects at all."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 3, 2015

"Just had my Mirena inserted today! I assure you! It was been a good experience. There was some mild pain, but it felt like a normal cramp when having your period. I have never had children and I am 19 years old. Do not be afraid of it. It is not as painful as people explain it to be."

Anonymous July 2, 2015

"I had the Mirena put in on June 9th, I'm 44 and have never had kids. The procedure was quick and slightly painful, but nothing major. I had cramping, just as if I was on my period for a day or 2. Started my regular period on the 22nd, for about a week, and have had some spotting since, (today is July 1)but nothing too bad. I'm new into this, so hoping the periods go away like people have said. But so far, it seems good!"

Marsp71 (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2015

"I had the mirena since 4 th june 2015, im 45, and had 12days of light spotting, and the odd headache now and then, and feel really good, i dont feel depresed, i would highly recomend the mirena! You read all these stories, but everyone is different , so, far, so good!"

123kitty kat June 30, 2015

"After my 2nd child I decided to go with Mirena, I have now had it for close to 5 years (mid July 2015 will be 5 years). I have not had a single problem with it. It did not hurt during the procedure and stopped my periods altogether. I love it so much I already have my next one ordered and scheduled to be replaced on July 21st. I think everyone's body reacts to any type of birth control differently and that being the reason there are so many mixed reviews about it. Received a call from my Drs office yesterday telling me that my insurance covers it 100%, so no out of pocket cost for me :-)"

AmberLucas (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2015

"I just had Mirena inserted on June 25th 2015. I had forgot to take Advil prior to as I was going to the doctors right from work and didn't have any pain meds with me. My doctor told me I would experience some cramping during the procedure so that didn't sound like big deal. I should have done more research then I never would have had it done. It was the most painful experience I have ever had, worse then passing kidney stones. The device was being tricky (Drs words) so she had keep adjusting it. It was excruciating, I was having hot sweats and felt like I was going to be sick. I don't know how I managed to drive home afterward because I couldn't even stand up straight. 3 days later & I'm still having random bad cramps."

Little DM June 27, 2015

"I'm 18 years old and never had an children and I had the mirena IUD inserted because I have endometriosis very bad. My experience was great! The whole procedure took maybe 3 minutes and it wasn't painful! I would suggest this to anyone."

AshPEACH June 26, 2015

"I've had the mirena in me for about 4 1/2 years. Its a love hate situation. I love it because I never got pregnant off of it and haven't had a period since I got it in. But the longer I had it in I feel depressed at times lack of sex drive and bipolar at times."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 26, 2015

"I had mine put in yesterday and yes it hurt really bad unlike anything I have ever felt and I have still have cramps but my doctor told me they would last a month and should stop but I could bleed lightly or irregular for 3-6 months I suggest talking to your doctor about it and it's different for everyone so just remember that just because it hurt for me it may not for you and wish you all the luck and hope you have a good experience"

Anonymous June 26, 2015

"I'm 24 years old and this is my second time to have the mirena. I had it the first time for 5 years then had it taken out due to the 5 year period and got put on the pill. The pill was not for me at all. So I decided to get the mirena again. I do not have a child. The mirena did hurt when I got it put in and did have bad cramping and some spotting but it was no unbearable. I was fine the next day. I have no gained weight being on the mirena or have had trouble with it. I still sometimes spot And my period is not regular anymore but that comes with it. I personally believe if you are not ready or do not want to have a child right now the mirena is the best thing!"

Anonymous June 25, 2015

"I had Mirena inserted in June 2015. The insertion process was very painful. I had a local anesthetic, and the doctor said it reduced the pain 50%. The pain of the sound for uterine measuring was significant despite the anesthetic. I experienced some bleeding and severe cramps with rectal pain and pressure for 9 days. I spent most of the 9 days heavily medicated and missing work. I could not sit down without extreme pain. This is NOT a normal reaction, so I should have removed it right away. After ultrasound the IUD appeared to be properly placed. The conclusion was that Mirena was either poking or aggravating a major nerve. Had Mirena removed after 9 days. Symptoms improved immediately upon removal but not completely resolved yet."

Jen442015 June 25, 2015

"I got mirena in on Monday 6-22-2015 and it's thursday now and these cramps on my left side are killing me . I think I made the wrong choice by getting this. It hurt so bad when they were putting it in . the day I got it I had to take so much meds just to sleep so I wouldn't hurt. I think I'm gonna have it removed because I can't keep calling off of work."

mirena (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

"Aged 54 with no kids and premenopausal. Had my period for over a month with heavy bleeding and cramping. Went to ob/gym for consult on possible uterine ablation and she suggested Mirena 1st to stop the bleeding. I have a retroverted uterus and because this wasn't a scheduled procedure I was not told to take any pain meds beforehand. It was the most excrutiating pain ever, however, I also had cervical biopsies done just prior to insertion. Not sure which hurt more but I layed on the table for a good 15 minutes after in tears. So far it's been 2 weeks, heavy flow has slowed to constant spotting and bloated like a blowfish !! So hoping that things get better so I don't have to do ablation vs hysterectomy. horrible panic attacks :-("

54nobrats (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2015

"I got the Mirena implanted two days ago (Wednesday June 17, 2015) and so far it has been close to the easiest thing I've ever had to do. I'm 18 years old and I've never had a baby, I got the Mirena to use as a form of birth control. I took 880 mg of aleve 1 hour before my appointment and the whole process took maybe 10 minutes. I've only had one Pap smear before and she even had to dilate me a little bit but it didn't hurt worse than my worst period cramps- you just have to breathe through it. I had light spotting for the rest of the day and some mild cramps that felt better when I laid down and used a heating pad. Now I'm in no pain at all and I am happy and have energy and am VERY happy that I got this done!"

Hellocass June 19, 2015

"I wanted to write a review because before I got my IUD I did a lot of research, and want to reciprocate for others. The IUD is the greatest decision I've ever made for my health. I personally found the insertion experience completely fine. It was mildly uncomfortable for about 30 seconds while my doctor inserted it, but I took a deep breath and was fine. I had a little bit of spotting right after. Over the following three weeks I had a mixture of light to moderate/heavy bleeding every day. This wasn't great, but it seems like a minor inconvenience compared to the years of benefits I will get from it. Over the past 6 months that I've had it, I have had light, irregular periods. I am getting them less frequently. Mirena's great. Get it!"

College student (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 18, 2015

"I had my 1st child in November 2014 and got Mirena January 2015. I spotted for the 1st month and a half. I've had cramping, no sex drive, lack if energy, acne, hair itching, and gained 20 pounds in 4 months. I finally got Mirena removed today 6/17/2015 and I already feel better. No cramps I've been able to work from 5 am to 130 go to the gym, go shopping, and play with my baby without fatigue. The RN was giving me a hard time and stating my research is wrong and Mirena doesn't make women gain weight due to such low hormones but I told her everyone's body is different, and this was not the right birth control for me. I told her even all my coworkers that have it right now are experiencing the same issues so what does that tell you? She acted like she had an attitude because she couldn't talk me out of removing it, but I don't care it's my body my choice. I hope that this helps someone. If this is what it costs to not have a period I'd rather have mines!"

ZENIA'S MOM June 17, 2015

"I just had this inserted June 16, it was easy. Had baby nine weeks ago and also had the procedure done during my first period after baby on day 2, currently breastfeeding exclusively . I also took prescription pain killer an hour before procedure. My insurance wouldn't cover it it would cost 900 plus for paraguard so I went to planned parenthood expecting to pay around $400 but was told they currently have a grant, so it was free! While at the clinic the Dr recommended I try the mirena because I already have heavy periods so I'm hoping this works. after the procedure I did feel nauseous a bit light headed on the way home but I didn't eat anything and took prescription pain killer. I read a lot of scary insertion stories expected the worse"

Anonymous June 17, 2015

"I had Mirena put in about a week ago & it by far the most excruciating pain I've ever felt! I'm missing some of my left leg due to a motorcycle accident so believe me when I say I know pain, the insertion was worse than ANY of my surgeries. I had to make my obgyn stop bc the pain & discomfort made me so light headed & sick to my stomach. The pain & cramping for the first 2 days after made it impossible to move & now a week later I still have bad discomfort & spotting. I've noticed an increase in appetite & acne on my face that I never had problems with before. I had mirena placed as an option to help my severe bipolar mood swings but I think this may not have been the right option for me. I'm giving it a few more days to change my mind."

WasHopingToBeWowed June 17, 2015

"I just got this inserted two hours ago and I'm hating life. As soon as I left my drs office I felt faint and like throwing up. Kept getting hot flashes. Called my Dr before leaving and went right back to her office. Still sitting here with awful cramps and the urge to pass out. Hopefully this ends soon! Took Advil before. No kids. It was painful getting it inserted. If you have awful cramps during your period I do not suggest getting this inserted and leaving right away after."

Rz June 16, 2015

"I have had the Mirena for about two weeks. Previously I would get cramps so bad from my period I would be bed ridden. I talk to my GYN and she suggested this. I can say that I still have cramping but it is not NEAR as bad as what it was. and I am still spotting. The spotting is so irregular that having sex is kinda off the table right now. although my sex drive is Crazy. I am 19 years old, and its not to bad so far, but I am hoping it will get better, and that I can keep my normal weight."

DESging June 12, 2015