User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 201 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

Review by Life-changing!:

I love, love, love Mirena. I had my first one put in when I was 21 due to debilitating periods, and I hadn't had any kids. Not going to lie - the pain was truly horrible upon insertion, and I did cramp for weeks afterwards, but after that cleared up 5 years of no periods changed my life. I just had my second one put in yesterday and it was nowhere near as traumatic as the first time since my hormones had leveled out. I HIGHLY recommend it for women who don't want/can't take high estrogen birth control or would like to stop their periods safely. It's been absolutely life-changing for me, and I hope Mirena and other IUD's continue to gain popularity as people see how great they really can be.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by NYCGirl729:

Mirena gave me my life back. Ever since I hit puberty at 11 years old I have had horrible, very heavy, very painful periods . Around 18 I was diagnosed with Endometriosis. I would miss school, work, have to double layer my clothes when i slept it was horrible. I tried every birth control out there including Seasonique, The NuvaRing, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Depo-Provera, Loestrin, Lybrel, if you name it I've tried it. Nothing worked. I started having periods that would last for 2-3 weeks. Finally I tried Mirena, having it put in was painful- but bearable. The first 6 weeks I had cramps and spotting. After that nothing. I get a very light 2-3 day period now and then. No cramps. It's amazing and gave me my life back. I'm so thankful for it!

September 3, 2014 2:59 PM

Review by akk99222212:

I got my Mirena almost 6 months ago now and I absolutely love it. I read so many reviews that made me hesitate to get it - it took me months to decide which birth control to get, but my Dr recommended this so I trusted her. I have had 1 child previously, 2 years ago now, so I think that helped make my experience smooth. I took some ibuprofen before getting it put in and there was discomfort but nothing unbearable. I spotted and had irregular periods for the first 2 months, it was really annoying. Then I spotted occasionally for another two months or so. My periods have stopped completely now so it was worth it. Also, the cramping was not bad at all. Nothing more than the moderate period pains I used to get. And my partner never notices it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 3, 2014 12:27 PM

Review by lilshorty:

I had Mirena for a little over 2 years now and I love it. I got it after my 2nd child. I did not feel any pain or cramping when the doctor inserted Mirena. I have been on the patch, the pill, Depo-Provera way before I got Mirena. I am 28 years old and in a few more years I am going to get this one again. I would definitely recommend to anyone.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 21, 2014 6:38 PM

Review by Jchick:

I believe myself to be very pain tolerant. I got one of these inserted, and it caused me so much pain I nearly passed out. Keep in mind, however, that I have never been pregnant before. If you have not been pregnant your uterus does not have as much elasticity. Also, my uterus was set back in a position that made for a difficult time for my gynee to get to it. (This happens when you have not been pregnant sometimes) Nurse said she had never seen the gynee actually have to utilize the ultrasound to insert it. 1 day after insertion, and now I am completely cramp free. Don't let the horror stories scare you. Ease of use, cost (completely free), and effectiveness of this product is phenomenal.

August 20, 2014 5:12 PM

Review by LexiG (taken for less than 1 month):

Went on Mirena as it was one of my only options for birth control due to hormone issues and aura migraines. It hurt pretty bad having it put in. I suggest 800 mg of ibuprofen a half an hour to an hour before insertion. I have never had a child. Right after insertion I felt great, no pain for a few hours, then the cramps began. Nonstop terrible cramps with a little bleeding, for 3 full days. I finally called the Dr and she wrote me a script for Vicodin so I could go to work. No sleep for those 3 days due to terrible pain. The cramps finally subsided but then the stabbing pain started. Terrible stabbing pain in my abdomen. I think my body was rejecting it. I had it removed. Feel much better.

July 10, 2014 5:44 PM

Review by vikkijayne:

I had the Mirena fitted as nothing else worked for me. I've had 3 babies full term. Can honestly say the insertion didn't hurt I hardly felt a thing. Had quite bad cramps afterwards and light spotting but not too bad. Highly recommended to all.

July 8, 2014 5:29 PM

Review by melgunner (taken for less than 1 month):

Had my Mirena inserted July 30 2014, I am giving it such a high rating at this point because I have nothing but positive experiences so far. Unlike most people I had it inserted after having no children, the insertion was slightly painful but just felt like a bad cramp that went away quickly. The cramping stopped 2 minutes after insertion and then I had some mild cramping later that day. Spotting is minimal to null, only noticeable on bathroom tissue. -For anyone thinking of getting on before they have had a kid: I was given misoprostol vaginally to soften the cervix and took ibuprofen for 24 hours before to help with cramping. The misoprostol did not cause me cramping or discomfort as I feared it would.

July 1, 2014 8:30 PM

Review by Great experience (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I am 40 yrs old, and I have had Mirena just 2 months shy of 5 years before having it removed. I experienced some cramping when it was inserted and a few days after. Post removal, I had very minor cramping, but nothing that required medication. I have had no to very light periods the entire time. I still weigh within 5 pounds of what I weighed when I got it. No mood swings, no anxiety, no depression. This is the best birth control that I've had. Previously I was on Depo for 12 years and the pill before that. Everyone's body chemistry is different, therefore, the negative experiences may not be yours. If you are hesitant, I would try Depo Provera first as my experience with both have been very similar.

July 1, 2014 10:56 AM

Review by misslady85:

I'm 29 years old and just had my 4th child. I got it inserted 7 weeks after having my 4th child. Insertion didn't hurt, just a little cramping. I felt dizzy for the 1st 20 minutes. Went to work and had light spotting. Now on my 4th day with the Mirena and I still have light cramping and spotting is now turning into regular bleeding. So far so good!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2014 12:14 PM

Review by becmarie201:

I have had Mirena for almost 3 years now. Getting It removed on Monday for sure. I suffer from depression but ever since I got the Mirena it has gotten worse and my anxiety attacks keep coming and coming. I have severe headaches that cause my vision to be blurry in one eye and my left side of my body goes numb. It's very scary and I can't live like this anymore.

June 27, 2014 8:37 PM

Review by Jeans1234:

I had Mirena inserted two years ago, after I had my fourth child. When It was inserted I did not feel anything at all, I even had to ask the doctor if she was finished lol. For the first year or so, I had unexpected periods some short, some long, some heavy, most very very light. For a short while I was able to predict when I was going to get my period because my mood sings would go crazy. Now Its been two months that I get less then a day periods. It is only a little spotting done. I feel good, I have not gained any weight, no pain, no more mood swing. It does not interrupt my sex life with my husband. I would recommend Mirena to anyone.

June 27, 2014 5:00 PM

Review by KamBam (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had Mirena inserted in February while I was on my cycle. The insertion wasn't killer, the pain came after when I was leaving the doc. Felt like pulling over & crying. The next day was all good. I bleed through April. It stopped for about 3 weeks & now the bleeding is back with a vengeance. I'm bleeding like crazy. I hope it quits soon.

June 16, 2014 3:06 PM

Review by 548:

I am 45 2 kids had mirena put in January for ease of birth control and was recommended by dr. I have had no hormonal issues. however I have light bleeding almost every day (use 1-2 panty liners a day) since insertion. went back at 3 month dr told me body needs time to adjust. I'm trying to be patient but am about at wits end. had mirena put in so I could have safe sex--now don't have sex cause of constant bleeding. I'm gonna try to wait till 6 months and see if it lets up but not sure I can make it that long--hate to think I wasted 1/2 year on something that isn't working for me. if not I'm having it taken out. was on bc pills most of adult life and never had issue. any body else experience this and did it ever get better?

June 15, 2014 1:19 PM

Review by MamaCass (taken for less than 1 month):

I decided to read the reviews for Mirena after I got it. Wow am I ever glad I waited! Reviews that stated spotting for months, and painful intercourse, would have been enough to put me off for sure. However, I've had a fantastic experience with Mirena so far. Spotted for 1.5 days (not months - DAYS) with only mild cramping. Intercourse after 3 days, and it was as enjoyable, if not more so than before. As I understand, it's better to have had children before using Mirena. I can see why - insertion would likely have been more painful had I not had 1 child. High recommendations, but of course, your doctor will know if Mirena is your best choice. Right down to the tilt of your uterus - there are many factors to take into consideration.

June 10, 2014 7:59 PM

Review by Katy Grace:

I got my Mirena 3 months ago by recommendation from my gyno and a few friends. I was warned how painful the procedure is, but I have a high pain tolerance so I wasn't concerned. Mine was inserted when I wasn't on my period because my period was random and lasted 2 days. The procedure only took about 2 minutes. 1 minute & 50 seconds of that time just felt like hard pressure, more irritating than painful. Then the last 10 seconds were pretty traumatic. I felt like I was going to vomit and almost passed out. However, IT'S ONLY 10 SECONDS. Later that day I went shopping and ate and was fine. Now I have 5 years of no period (it's already gone) and no taking the pill! Couldn't be happier!

June 10, 2014 2:56 PM

Review by MCH88:

I am a huge fan. Read a lot of negative reviews prior to deciding, and promised myself that if I loved it I would share! Got it 1.25 years ago. I got it for contraception, I haven't had any children. Painless procedure- just pressure. Bad bad cramping for the rest of the day- I would take Panadol before going in next time so that it was kicking in earlier. I would also advise having the day off work. After day one it's been ace! Smooth sailing. I get my period for about 2 days very lightly once every 5 months. And amazingly pain free (used to get bad cramps). No weight gain or loss. No hair loss. No nausea. Better skin! So, I am a advocate. Good luck.

June 1, 2014 7:34 PM

Review by Aushi (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I got Mirena as a birth control solution and a solution to my very heavy, 8 day - 10 days painful periods. I wasn't suggested it by a doctor I pretty much came to the decision myself. I had been on the pill, which didn't affect me negatively at all (still got very heavy periods though), before that I was in the Depo shot, which made me bleed non-stop for three months. So I was very skeptical about Mirena. I've lost my periods all together, and I've noticed that when "I'm supposed to be on my period" I don't have any type of discharge or anything of the sort. What I DO notice is when I have a very stressful situation I get discharge for 24 hours, brown-ish discharge. No pain, no weight gain, brilliantly perfect!

May 30, 2014 4:07 PM

Review by Cnumerj (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've had my Mirena for 4 months now. I'm 26 and have never had a child or been pregnant. My periods prior to using any hormonal birth control, my periods were always inconsistent and sometimes heavy. My gyno recommended switching me to an IUD since I have no desire for children in the future. The insertion process was extremely painful for me. I had awful cramps for a week after I got it. I even had to get the dr to write me a prescription for pain medication so that I could tolerate going to work. I consider myself someone that can tolerate a high amount of physical pain but getting the Mirena put in it was a terrible experience. I do not want another one after the 5 years is up.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 30, 2014 10:30 AM

Review by Pasco190 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I got it 3 months ago. The insertion was quick but very painful, after it was over I laid down for ten minutes and I was ready to go, some cramping but nothing an Advil can't fix. I did bleed heavily for the first 2 months during my period and spotting too, and cramping bad. Now on the 3rd month I am spotting a little bit and no heavy periods. No weight gain but I have been breaking out a lot, this is a huge concern because I have always had a clear face, I just purchased some acne creams, I'll see if that helps. Still, getting pimples beats getting pregnant for me. My sex drive has decreased so my partner has to work a little harder to get me going. Other than that I will be sticking to Mirena. I am 29, no children.

May 29, 2014 1:56 AM

Review by Malexa94 (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm 19 years old had a daughter who's now 6 months old, Never used a birth control and decided to go with the Mirena I'm bad at remembering things. I got the Mirena inserted last week even though I had a baby it was a little painful inserting it she said my cervix was pretty high. The next day I was normal. Drink some ibuprofen you'll be fine. I get cramps here and there but again it's only been a week my boyfriend says he only feels the strings but it doesn't bother it only tickles, so far so good.

May 27, 2014 1:34 AM

Review by RaeMil (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I had the Mirena inserted about 4 years ago, after my second child was born. Getting it put in I had minor pain, no worse than normal menstrual cramps. However, my hormones have been super crazy. I go from normal to upset, mad, crying within seconds. I've never had this issue prior to children or the Mirena. I've seen Mental Health Counselors in fear I was losing my mind....however it's been boiled down to the birth control. After numerous hormone testing and blood tests I've decided to get it taken out early. I hate feeling like I have no control over my emotions.

May 25, 2014 8:00 PM

Review by egreen5 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 20 years old and never had a child or been pregnant, and I decided to go with Mirena after much thought. I was pretty nervous going into it, and I'm not going to lie, insertion was pretty painful. I would recommend taking that day off for anyone, but by the next day I felt better, and by the second day I was back to the gym. The first month was pretty much continuous bleeding, but I have now had Mirena for 4 months and I must say the pain of insertion and bleeding was worth it! I would definitely recommend sticking it out, considering that you can keep it for 5 years!

May 13, 2014 12:39 AM

Review by LOVE MY MIRENA!!:

I got the Mirena about three months ago, and it is absolutely wonderful! The insertion was painful, but completely tolerable. The day of insertion was spent in bed, but I was back to normal the next day. I hardly spot, the cramps come around during the time of the month, but they are not nearly as terrible as they were before Mirena. I was terrified of getting it after reading terrible reviews online, but I understood it works differently for everyone. My experience has been nothing but amazing, and my partner loves it! I don't have to worry about pills. Every once in while, I just have to make sure the strings are still there. At times, he can feel the strings but they do not poke or hurt him in any way.

May 11, 2014 12:57 AM

Review by That1chick:

I got Mirena for the first time about a month and a half ago-two month ago. The process of my doctor actually implanting the device was awful. Especially the after effect, for the rest of the day I was cramping so bad I could barely stand up and not cry. But the next day I was back to normal and since then it's been awesome. I could notice the string for the first couple of days but I never notice it now. It's helped with my cycle a tremendous amount. I originally got it because I was getting my period every 2 weeks instead of once every month and now I'm back to once a month and it's very light and only last a couple days. I also feel much less stressed about having to worry about getting pregnant & love that it last for 5 years. Love it.

May 10, 2014 12:37 AM