Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena review summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 193 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

Review by Lalalex (taken for less than 1 month):

I love it! I'm 20 with a 2 month old and it was uncomfortable when I got it inserted, & I had cramps and bleeding for the first day. After that, nothing. I'm in love with it. Definitely recommend it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2015 7:19 PM

Review by Mir012:

I have only had the Mirena a couple of days but I really wanted to comment on the pain of insertion. Although it is very very uncomfortable type of a feeling, it was NOT excruciating pain like some people had. I'm 26, have had no kids, and am overweight (if that helps). It is over with fairly quickly, no longer than a minute or two. I felt some intense cramping and a couple of pinches of pain, but it the pain spread into just a bad cramp. Just breathe and you'll be okay. I got this put in because I was sick of breakthrough bleeding on the pill. I wasn't on my normal period when I had it inserted, but I was bleeding a fair amount. This made insertion easier.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2015 11:53 PM

Review by PNG (taken for less than 1 month):

It has been 2 weeks since I got the Mirena and I am still getting cramps, have been bleeding for 2 weeks, get mild headaches, fatigue, lower back pain. I have read good and bad reviews about Mirena. I just hope I start feeling better soon and that this works.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2015 2:40 PM

Review by Hyra (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I definitely recommend the Mirena as an option for birth control. I decided to get it my senior year in high school because I have goals to achieve and I did not want any babies stopping that. I started off with pills but I realized my lifestyle did not fit that. If you do not want to worry about taking a pill on time EVERYDAY, and worry about the possibilities of you becoming pregnant, get the Mirena. It didn't hurt much and now all I'm doing is spotting. Take this from a teenager, it DOES work.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2015 2:34 PM

Review by Mommabear224 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

So I got the Mirena put in in January. And so far I get headaches everyday, I feel nauseous about half the day. Basically I feel pregnant the whole time. But the Mirena is working birth control wise. Worry free sex with my husband makes up for all of the symptoms.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2015 12:15 PM

Review by karrkar:

I had Mirena inserted after I had my daughter and it hurt for the first day then nothing, never felt it. Ever since I had it in I never had a period (which was nice) never had a problem with it besides I could never feel the strings but my doctor told me she cut them short on accident.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2015 4:53 PM

Review by Mishc (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I got the Mirena after I had my second ( and last) child. I'd had problems with the pill, like blood clots. I had the insertion in 10-14-2007. It was a bit painful, but not unbearable. My period became lighter and non existent. So when the 5 years was up, I got another one. Same thing except for the bleeding, I now get a lot of the other symptoms. I am now 44 and if I still need one in 2017, I will get a new one.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 7, 2015 11:41 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

OK so pretty much a few days out of each month I would spot very light, no cramps. For the first 6months. Thr first two months i was kind of heavy but it would subside really quickly. After that some months I wouldn't even spot at all. The procedure hurt a little. But that was to be expected. Overall I'm happy with it. Barely any cramps.

February 26, 2015 1:11 PM

Review by michelle ann alias:

I'm 19 and have a 1 year old daughter I've had it close to a year and it's great, didn't hurt too bad to have it put in. Cramps for about 2 days off and on then stopped my period. I got it put in because I was super moody from my last birth control and constantly bleeding and now it's been awesome. Besides lately I've had lower back pain that won't go away and I haven't gained weight but I also can't seem to lose weight.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2015 12:22 AM

Review by Logan Ragsdale:

I got my Mirena on October 3, 2013. And I have bleed for 96% of it. But now I can tell a difference, it's working now like it should.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2015 10:21 PM

Review by Jaelly (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm 31 years old with a 2-month old. Had Mirena inserted last week--no pain at all. I think they suggest it for women who have previously had children because insertion can be very painful if you haven't. But mine was quick and easy, no side effects, although I did start bleeding last night. After reading some of the reviews here, I'm hoping it doesn't last very long!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2015 11:06 AM

Review by Blahblah2:

I absolutely love this thing. I had crazy side effects for the first 8 months, the doctor will tell you six. After the 8 months my periods have been great, I don't have to think about taking a pill everyday, and wearing pesky condoms. It's lovely I'd recommend it any day

February 17, 2015 10:25 AM

Review by MnAnmlNurse:

Had it inserted 12/3/14 and haven't stopped bleeding. My husband and I got to have sex for the first time in 2.5 months. I have period like cramping all of the time. Insertion was almost painless. I was hoping this would be the answer to my irregular periods after having my second son via c-section 4/14/14.

February 11, 2015 9:12 PM

Review by YetAnotherJanelle:

I got my Mirena in Dec 2014. I was taking the mini pill for years. I get classic migraines and can't take estrogen birth control. I had missed some pills in Sept 2014 & had an ectopic pregnancy. Once my body recovered from that, my doc suggested Mirena. I always read "horror" stores about it, but after what I just went through, I decided to give it a try. I'm 36, with 3 kids, so not having to worry about birth control for a couple years is great. The insertion was uncomfort Level 5, but over & done quick. Spotting about a week. Periods are so light that I barely need a pad. I haven't noticed any weight gain or acne. No issues with sex & I think my libido has gone up. Thus far, I'm REALLY satisfied and wish I had done it sooner.

January 24, 2015 11:00 AM

Review by Dessabear (taken for less than 1 month):

Got the Mirena in almost 2 weeks ago, and I must say I love it so far! Horrible cramps for the first 5 or so hours after insertion (had to drive home) and almost couldn't take it. Heating pad helped bunches along with laying on my back. The cramps went away the next day! I even went to work. A few cramps here and there, but that's expected. Nothing too unbearable. I'm also a 21yo with NO kids. My boyfriend also can't feel it. One thing though, the antibiotics they put you on day of insertion did give me a Yeast Infection. Went away a couple days later. Love the Mirena so far!

January 23, 2015 11:57 AM

Review by HSF (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was scared to get Mirena after reading all the horror stories but got it anyways and I'm liking it so far! I'm 20 years old with no kids. Cramping during insertion and off and on for a few days after, nothing unbearable. Skin has gotten better and I've actually lost weight but this might not have anything to do with Mirena. Only downside is I'm still spotting but my doctor said it should be gone within a month or so. No pain during sex and my boyfriend says he can't feel the strings either. Would definitely recommend! Don't let all the horror stories scare you.

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 20, 2015 1:26 AM

Review by Mama knows:

I am getting mine taken out next week. I've been on it for almost two years and have bleeding 95% of the time.

January 16, 2015 10:13 PM

Review by mlsr:

I love Mirena. I am 26 and never had kids before. I had my Mirena inserted 7 months ago, little pain when MD inserted. Little cramps but it all want away. I have gain few pounds. Overall it is a great birth control.

January 15, 2015 8:50 AM

Review by Jcontreras25 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I had the Mirena for 6 years, I loved it. The pros for me were no period at all just a little spotting every now and then, I did not have any pain at all. The only thing I have to say negative about it was that I did gain some weight and I had a very hard time losing weight with it, but I was ok with it. I guess it did not have to worry about getting pregnant it did its job. I just removed it 2 days ago and am just letting my period start up again.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2015 10:05 AM

Review by Andrea B:

I feel like the people who say that they had a painful insertion are only the ones who have either never had a baby or never had cramps. When they put mine in it was only uncomfortable, not painful. There was some minor cramping afterwards, but I am noticing that I am struggling with losing weight. After my second child I was able to drop my weight pretty well, but now after my third and having this in it is really hard and I feel like I retain a lot of water.

December 31, 2014 11:11 AM

Review by Kimberley audrey:

I'm on my second Mirena and I think it's great! The first one I got, took a long time to stop spotting.. I was frustrated and wanted it out. My doctor's office, suggested waiting, and giving it a chance. I'm really happy I listened! Each month, it got better. Those beginning days, are so far behind me now.. I haven't had any problems, at all.. Definitely worth it!

December 29, 2014 11:49 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have had the Mirena for almost three years now and love it. Insertion was not painful at all. Just a little uncomfortable. I bled for two months then my periods went back to normal. After a year they went away completely. I'm very thankful for that. I suffered from really bad menstrual cramps and severe mood swings. Once I got the Mirena my moods seemed to balance out. My cramps have disappeared. I have noticed even though I don't get a period I still get minor PMS symptoms. I would recommend this to any woman looking for a convenient birth control that works. Also I am glad it does not have estrogen in it. Some of the estrogen based birth control gives me migraines and causes me to be moody.

December 29, 2014 1:49 AM

29 years old and two kids. I've had the Mirena since February 2013. I would recommend it but my only issue is I bleed for a day or two after sex. But not during so it's no problem with my husband and I.

December 27, 2014 10:27 PM

Review by MariG (taken for less than 1 month):

I got Mirena inserted December 15, 2014 and I LOVE IT! I am 21 years old with no children. The insertion was very very painful. I bled and cramped the day of the insertion and day afterwards. So far, its been one week and I feel fantastic!

December 22, 2014 7:48 AM

Review by angelica20:

I'm 20yrs old, with one toddler. I read about this choice of birth control for weeks and finally got it today. The process wasn't to bad. Cramping at first and slight dizziness afterwards.

December 18, 2014 7:03 PM