User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena Review Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 206 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

"I decided to get Mirena after my 5th child was born. Since he was born I have suffered from insomnia, mood swings, weight gain, impossible weight loss, odor & discharge, yeast infections, and zero libido. Overall I just don't feel like the same person anymore and my husband says I have changed. So I visited my doctor and got extensive blood tests. Everything was normal she said.... Then it dawned on me recently, what is it that changed after my son was born? Oh! Well I had the Mirena put in! I then started to research side effects and read forum posts by other women who have used Mirena, and to my surprise everything I have been suffering could be related to the Mirena! I have had it in for 2 years and now I am getting it out!"

Coleyroo (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2015

"I had decided to get Mirena as I am horrible at remembering to take pills. I have never had children and they aren't in my plans. At age 34 I had it inserted and it hurt more than I thought it would. It reduced my period frequency & the amount, BUT it completely killed my sex drive, which now, 2 years later is still non existent. I felt depressed soon afterwards and it never went away. I gained 20 pounds, which is odd as I eat well most of the time & go jogging with my boyfriend. Even he is now convinced that my lack of a sex drive, weight gain & inability to loose weight is a side effect of the Mirena. I just made an appointment to have it removed & plan to next just get my tubes tied."

no babies 4 me May 21, 2015

"This summer - July of 2015 - will be exactly 5th year as I've had my mirena. I had it inserted 3 months after having my 2nd child and it took no more than 10 min for my Dr to do it. I loved having mirena for 5 years as I didn't have to worry about birth control at all! The only minus is that for first year or two I had irregular bleeding or to be correct spotting. It wasn't really a period but every couple of weeks I'd have to use slim daily pads for couple of days at a time. Still, it is much much better than having regular painful periods and to worry about birth control every day. So, I'm having my removed in a month and probably will give my uterus a rest for 2-3 month (if it's necessary I don't know... Maybe not) and get another one."

Reviewer (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2015

"Felt compelled to weigh in on the insertion issue. Everybody is different, of course, but I had read many forums in which woman after woman called the insertion excruciating, agonizing, or the worst pain they've ever felt. I am small-build (5'0), never had children. It was really not that bad. Three rather severe cramps - but nothing worse than I have had with a particularly bad period. I had no local anesthetic and I took 800mg ibuprofen one hour beforehand. It was inserted less than an hour ago and I am back at work and feeling fine. I think one thing that may make a difference is the experience of the nurse practitioner or doctor performing the procedure. The more experienced, the faster. Mine took less than three minutes total. Not bad."

ImaCaliGirl May 21, 2015

"Ok I had mine inserted six weeks after my daughter was born Nov 2012. When it was inserted it hurt like heck. I had some cramping and bleeding nothing bad tho. I loved it until Easter 2013 I had one breast swell it was a small cyst. And no period for six months well of course I didn't think it was my mirena. Then my period suddenly came back. I have suffered a miscarriage. I have been so moody, cramps awful cramps, low sex drive my poor husband, breast swelling and tenderness again, cysts on both ovaries, hair loss, depression. I'm getting this thing yanked as soon as possible. And going back on the pill. I hate it! Do not recommend for anyone!"

Hannahbug May 20, 2015

"I just got my IUD (mirena) put in yesterday. I am 23 years old with a 1 year old son, my doctor recommended the IUD because I couldn't take anything oral that has hormones. I'm a complete b**** with the BC pills. The insertion was very uncomfortable for me and still have mild cramps, but I can say me and my fiance have a piece of mind that I won't be getting pregnant anytime soon, although we do want another. I read a lot of the negative experiences but everyone is different. So if you want to try it do it, and I love the fact that I don't have to remember a pill. Just talk with your doctor and I trust my gyno so I have no doubts."

iLoveMyBoys04/11/14 May 20, 2015

"I've had it for a year and no babies yet! No periods, no cramping and no getting cranky. However I'm starting to get my period normally again getting it checked out soon."

Carzzzy May 19, 2015

"Hurts way too much! I asked if it slipped."No everything's fine." after 2 weeks of not adjusting, I'm having it removed today. If I live that long!!"

CantEVENPEE May 18, 2015

"I just got mirena placed today. I'm amazed at how any people say it isn't painful because mine was the most excruciating thing I have ever experienced. It took forever to get it placed. I laid there for 25 mins in extreme pain while they fumbled around getting it in place. I have a tilted uterus, so it's harder to get where it should be. That might just be why it was so terrible for me. It has been about 12 hours and I have very bad bleeding. Full on gushing, bad cramping, I feel light headed, sick, my heart is fluttering and racing, I feel altogether terrible. I'm starting to wonder if I made the right choice here. Mine was not actually implanted as a bc method, my tube are already tied, it is for "irregular" bleeding."

not sure what to think yet. (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2015

"Hello, this birth control was wonderful for me! I spotted maybe a week. I have never had kids but the insertion was not terrible at all and everything was just amazing!"

nottellingwhoiam May 12, 2015

"I went to have the Mirena IUD removed 1 1/2 years after placement and my ob/gyn couldn't find it to remove it. I have had an ultrasound that turned up nothing and now need an abdominal xray to see if it can be located that way. My insurance won't cover any of it until my deductible is met, so I have to come up with $1000 just to find out, and if they find it, I'll need surgery. This "migration and spontaneous expulsion" are more common than the company says. "

kds3plus May 12, 2015

"The Mirena worked for not getting pregnant and no periods. However, it gave me debilitating cystic acne. It started within 3-4 months after getting the Mirena inserted. I went to several doctors and dermatologists who all insisted that the Mirena was not the cause. I spent thousands of dollars on acne prescriptions and countless depressed days due to the severity of the acne. As a woman in my mid thirties, it effected my career as well as my personal relationships and self esteem. This went on for the next 5 years. I didn't have the Mirena removed on its expiration date, and noticed that after about 3 months after the expiration, my skin had miraculous improvement. I had the Mirena removed and have never suffered a breakout since."

S&J (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 8, 2015

"I had my Mirena inserted this morning. As far as the procedure, it was easy. I've had 2 children, I'm currently on my period (cervix already dilated some), my OB gave me Cytotek to soften my cervix, and I took 800 mg of Ibuprofen prior to the procedure. It was over in 2 seconds. I felt a little prick and had some cramping for the first hour. It's now 4 hours after and no cramps. Not sure how the rest of the night will go though! I think the procedure is rough for those who haven't had kids. My experience involved very minimal pain. Now I'm worried I will bleed for 6 months straight like some people are saying. My regular period should be over tomorrow. I really hope the heavy bleeding doesn't last much longer."

ErikaJae17 May 7, 2015

"I'm so glad I didn't read these reviews before getting the iud inserted---I would have been terrified! Everyone is saying how it's so painful....umm? No. I'd say minor discomfort for a few seconds and that's it. I've had a little spotting since it was inserted but nothing crazy."

Don't be scared (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2015

"I had it put in about two years ago after my 3 rd kid. I was pleased with it at first but now I have noticed extreme hair thinning, low to no sex drive and gained about 10lbs I can't seem to lose. Calling tomorrow to have it yanked. My hubby is fixed so I can do it with out worry."

dawn mom of 3 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 3, 2015

"I had mirena inserted July of 2014. The insertion was extremely painful for me and I tend to take menstrual pretty well. The only pro for me was not having to think about birth control. Everything else was sadly a con. My periods did not become lighter, my cramps did not get less painful. I had a regular heavy period every month since July. Finally yesterday was when I reached my breaking point. I started my period 3 days ago and the cramps were excruciating. My gyno was able to see me and it turns out my body was trying to explell the iud and it was pushing on my uterus. Needless to say, out it came which I truly didn't feel. Can't wait to start any other birth control again. The acne I've gotten since July has been just horrible also."

Anonymous1111111 April 29, 2015

"I've had the Mirena for about a week now, and having it put in was not painful, there was discomfort but no pain. I did cramp pretty bad afterwards but only after I had it done. I haven't had any since and no bleeding since. I really like it so far and I hope I continue to do so"

Greysonsmommy April 28, 2015

"I have had the Mirena for almost a year, The doctor I had was amazing and explained it perfectly to. Worse pain for about one second and a break and then even worse pain for about 1 more second. You can seriously count to 1 and it's over. I am someone that got extreme cramps before, and my cramping was bad first three months I spotted and cramped and hated it! But my bf (a doctor) told me to give it three months then decide so I did! And I'm very happy I did. My only concern is I've gained 45 lbs since the insertion, I'm not sure at this point why? 4 months now I have changed my diet and work with a personal trainer 3-5 times a week. Fingers crossed I get my body back!!"

ReviewM (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2015

"I am totally happy with getting mine done! I have not had a period at all since getting it done in January 2015. I would recommend you having pains meds readily available before and after getting it done. It does hurt. I have some cramping every once in a while. But totally love it!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2015

"I got the mirena 3 days ago and I've had nothing but pain ever since. It's not severe pain, but bad cramps that don't go away, even with advil. The insertion was SUPER painful and seemed to take forever, but that could have been because I had to get it done at a "teaching" clinic and the guy didn't know what he was doing. I'm 28, no kids. I like the idea of an IUD but I just don't know if it's for me."

DMunz (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2015

"I opted to get Mirena after my birth control pills caused my high blood pressure. The shot made me gain weight and really did a number on my bones. Implanon was just a disaster and I was running out of options. I was a little reserved since I have not had children, and I knew the risks and side effects.I have not had children and I have a small cervix. These factors made the insertion very painful. I almost jumped off the table in pain, and I almost passed out. I lost feeling in my hands and was dripping sweat. I was given pain medication after the procedure, but I did get sick about an hour afterwards. I threw up as soon as I got home. I bled and was uncomfortable for a week or so and then it stopped. So far, I have not had any problems."

Alexa G. April 24, 2015

"So I had the mirena inserted 4/1/15. I have a 3 month old son. The pain was horrible. Took the doc a few times to get it placed correctly. After the insertion, I didn't have any cramping or bleeding for abt 4 days. On 4/5/15, I started bleeding heavily. It's was heavy for abt 3 days and now it's light. I'm STILL bleeding. I'm starting to have cramping now. I don't think I like it so I'm considering having it removed and trying something different."

Mama_Ftuna (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2015

"I had Mirena inserted 8 weeks after my daughter was born, it hurt to get it inserted. I had spotting for 3 to 6 months then nothing, I had it for 3 years then had it removed, removal was easy, it didn't hurt and a light period then nothing for 6 weeks then bam period. Loved it. Just wish it didn't throw off my period."

chip10 April 22, 2015

"I am kind of upset at the negativity that I have seen posted: bad acne, cramps, wt gain, low sex drive...all of which I was afraid of. However, I admit that I have been breaking out a bit more but I started washing my face twice daily and it has subsided a lot better with occasional breakouts. I was told in the past that chin acne is due to hormones. My cramps are bad only when I spot (only happens once in a while) I'm not saying they are comfy, but are better than before I was ever on a birth control tabs, I believe that I have actually lost weight, not due to mirena, but due to work, etc. You need to stay active anyways, so who can really say that it's the bc? However, I do believe that the nuva ring caused mine. My sex drive is actually increased too:)"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 21, 2015

"I've had the Mirena for about two months and I couldn't be happier. Insertion was painful, but it only lasted a couple of minutes. No side effects, no babies!"

CBack (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2015