User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 196 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

Review by Manavie (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have Mirena since last 6 months. I'm feeling normal and my periods are extremely light. I don't need pads just liners are fine for my periods.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 17, 2014 11:42 AM
Review by CCKM: User Rating:

I first had the mirena 7 years ago and had no problems at all and not one period.Two years ago had new one put in and this time around have regular painful and heavy periods so not sure why . Other than that no other side effects that have stood out.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2014 7:01 AM
Review by MelanieJoy (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I am 24 years old, have had one child. I got the Mirena put in about 9 weeks after delivery which was one week ago. Didn't hurt at all. My doctor did use numbing spray on my cervix though. After I left the doctors I experienced slight cramping and have continued too off and on for about a week now. Spotting is slight and more of a brownish discharge then actual blood. I have also experienced some yeast like symptoms, itching mostly. My doctor says that this could be because my body is still adjusting to the Mirena. Otherwise I'm very happy and will post again in a few weeks.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 3, 2014 2:39 PM
Review by Thankful! (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I understand every woman is different, but Mirena has been wonderful for me. I have struggled for 25 years with painful cramps and excessive bleeding and Mirena is the only thing that has worked for me. I never have had children, so there was some pretty nasty pain when it was put in. I am on my second one and it was much less painful the second time around. Both my husband and I could feel my strings at first but that faded with time. As I said it isn't for everyone.

March 25, 2014 6:50 AM
Review by Char's web: User Rating:

I got my Mirena a week ago and so far it's been good. The insertion hurt but it took like five to ten minutes.The first two days I felt a little bloated and heavy in the tummy. But from the third day on I never felt a thing again.I was running five miles these days and tummy feels well. The only thing is that I have been spotting lightly since insertion. But I know that it's a common side effect and I just have to be patient. I think a lot of dissatisfaction stems from the insecurity of not being able to have sex with the constant spotting and your partner potentially losing interest. I felt that way at first anyways, but my boyfriend told me he still loves me and told me to stock up on pads and be patient. I felt loved and relieved.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 23, 2014 11:33 PM
Review by H20: User Rating:

Many horror stories on the web, but here's my positive experience 2 weeks in: - note I never had kids, been on pills for over 15 years with no side effects, but want the most effective and convenient option. - took 800mg Advil 1.5 hours before. It was a day before my period. - key is finding a very experienced doctor who uses local anesthetics and cervical dilation, which I think really helped. I barely felt anything, similar to pap. - some cramping afterwards but not bad as I continued with Advil for 2 more days. Spotting once or twice daily but nothing too bad. No side effects at all yet. - everyone's different. Don't be scared off by reviews!

March 22, 2014 8:44 AM
Review by noelle178: User Rating:

I am 19, and the obgyn I go to strongly suggested getting Mirena, but after reading the horror stories people post online about it I was almost too terrified to get it. I finally decided to get it and it is the BEST form of birth control out there. I didn't even feel them insert it! I've also seen a lot about people talking about the strings stabbing them or their partner. Just ask them not to cut the strings, ask them to tuck them behind your cervix. It works great! The only side effects was the barely mild cramping for a day afterwards. I did have spotting light spotting for a month but I haven't had a period since. If you're thinking about getting it you definitely should at least try it.

March 20, 2014 8:21 PM
Review by Worley (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I got the Mirena Tuesday of this week. I was very weary about the insertion because I work at the OBGYN & have seen the good along with the very painful inserts. I get high blood pressure with the pill and saw that the Mirena was 100% covered by my insurance so I thought I would give it a try. Insertion is best while you are in your menstrual cycle because it causes your cervix to dilate. With that being said I have not had children and got the Mirena during my cycle, I was barely spotting. Insert gave a small cramp to my surprise much easier than I was setting myself up for in my mind. If you follow direction & take Advil or Ibuprofen every 4-6 starting 1 hour prior insert & 5 days post same routine that will rid of cramps & bleeding. VERY satisfied- no cramps or bleeding!

February 28, 2014 2:15 PM
Review by Nora12: User Rating:

I had the Mirena IUD inserted about a month and a half ago. I cramped the day of a little bit and everything was fine. So far I love it, I have only had one period since and have been expecting a second and it hasn't come yet. Unfortunately I am having it removed in a couple of weeks. My husband and I after having sex noticed blood in our areas- and it was from the strings of the Mirena cutting him. This was really painful for him and it is not his first injury during sex since I had it inserted. I would recommend if your partner is rather larger than average that this may not be for you because it has been an issue for us since inserted.

February 27, 2014 12:24 PM
Review by jenfaz (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Overall this was very effective with no issues to note other than those described as common side effects. I had no weight gain, no mood changes, no spotting, was regular like clock work after the initial few weeks after insertion. Granted, it isnt pleasant to have fitted but is much less uncomfortable to have removed (like removing a tampon really). In the UK (i am English), we the cost of birth control and follow up care is free on the NHS. I had the Mirena for the full 5 years and only experienced a pre menstrual facial spot and 3 days of mild tummy bloating prior to each predictable and very light two day bleed. This is my full and honest experience.

February 27, 2014 11:37 AM
Review by Danielle23: User Rating:

Alright ladies, my experience with Mirena entails no gruesome or terrifying stories that will make you run for the hills. My experience with Mirena has been fairly good. I got Mirena approximately 6 months ago. Beforehand I was entirely frightened due to the horrible reviews that people post on the internet. But let me just straighten this out. Some people do have bad experiences but those people are the ones who feel obligated to narrate their story to the world. So I'll be the one to write something positive. Slight pain during the insertion, nothing worse than cramps. A month of irregular bleeding. Only to be followed by four months of glorious period free time. I occasionally get spotting but it isn't anything bad at all.

February 24, 2014 11:06 PM
Review by Frustrated with Acne (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Love the fact that I don't have periods! However immediately after having it inserted, I started experiencing severe acne (I'm 35) so this is seriously unacceptable. It's so bad that it's all over my face, neck, chest, back and scalp. Nothing works to get rid of it. I went to a dermatologist and he prescribed several items for me none of which worked. I have another appointment to go in a couple of days. There is a medicine that apparently works (I did lots of research online) that's called spironolactone that's used for high blood pressure and acne as well as a few other things. People say that if they're prescribed 100mg, it works and they have almost no pimples after a few months.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 24, 2014 3:44 PM
Review by Unsure123: User Rating:

I had the Mirena put in about 7 weeks ago. No pain getting it inserted (I've had 2 babies). At first I thought it was going to be the best birth control ever, now I am not certain. I've been bleeding the past month medium / heavy with clumps, feeling tired and drained. Will be going to get it check out soon.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 21, 2014 9:11 PM
Review by happy mirena user (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

22; getting married in August- I received my Mirena at the beginning of January 2014 and I am currently loving it! Like many of you I did extensive research before deciding on a birth control. I decided to go through with Mirena and having it inserted hurt REALLY BAD because I've never experienced something passing through my cervix. I turned white immediately and nearly passed. I cramped for about two weeks but used ibuprofen and it was fine. My fianc

February 19, 2014 9:54 PM
Review by Lizzy Borden (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I just got mine in a month ago and I feel and look really bloated all the time. I've been on my period for almost 2 weeks I don't like it so I'm getting it removed tomorrow.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 18, 2014 8:31 PM
Review by J.Dizzle (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Age: 22 Kids: 0 I have had my Mirena for nearly three years and I love it! Insertion was painful for about a minute and I had bad cramps for a few hours afterwards but since then, nothing! It is expensive if you dont have good benefits (luckily I do!) I've only had two 'periods' since the day I got my Mirena and they were very light and lasted only a day or two. Some months I get slightly crampy for a few days but this happens very rarely! I was concerned about the Mirena migrating or turning or doing something it wasn't supposed to but have been to my gyno for annual check ups and it hasn't moved at all. I will definitely get the Mirena again when I'm done having children! We NEVER have protected sex (3 years!) my husband and I both love it.

February 11, 2014 12:30 AM
Review by harpermom (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I love Mirena more then any other birth control method. Had it put in 3 months after my daughter was born. There was slight pain with insertion but my cervix had fully closed by that time. I had light spotting that day and nothing since. I am also breastfeeding so that might be why I am not bleeding like others. I have had no mood swings acne or weight gain. I do have a Masters in pharmacology and from an education background I can say most of those side effects people complain about are from your bodies adjusting from having a baby in you and then out of you. The amount of hormone transfer from uterus site to outside the body is minimal that is why it is safe for breastfeeding mothers.

February 9, 2014 12:55 PM
Review by DivineLove: User Rating:

I am 20 years old and I had my Mirena inserted a month ago and to me personally the insertion was extremely painful. It was unlike any other painful cramp I have ever felt before, but the pain did not last for too long and after it was inserted I was fine and didn't really cramp much after. That being said, I have had no children and did not take my Advil as advised from the nurse prior to my appointment. Other than that I have only had light spotting and it has made my period lighter. Mirena is supposed to decrease your sex drive but honestly it has increased mine and my partner and I love it! I hope it stays this way and the bleeding/spotting stops soon!

February 6, 2014 10:38 PM
Review by Rachel a: User Rating:

I got my Mirena inserted at the end of December 2013 and it is now February 2014. I have a three month old. The insertion wasn't painful, but it was uncomfortable for a few minutes. After I experienced light cramping for about a day. I've been bleeding since I got it but it's not heavy. I am a teenager so if you are a teen mom I recommend this. You don't have to remember to take anything. I haven't gained any weight and have had no serious side effects. So far it's great.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 4, 2014 9:17 AM
Review by gplt9109 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I've had the Mirena for about 5 months now and I'm still not sold on it. The pain during insertion was high and I had horrible cramping for the next few days. My periods are about a week and a half long, granted it is light and is more like spotting but it's real inconvenient. I still get pretty bad cramps accompanied with it too. You're told to give it about 6 months to let your body adjust to it so I'm hoping it gets better.

February 3, 2014 10:50 PM
Review by MorganO (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I'm 24 and have had one baby. I waited until I was 8 months post-partum for insertion. I have PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) and getting Mirena was a 50/50 risk of improving or hurting my condition. I did not get my Mirena inserted while on my period since PCOS women have irregular cycles. Insertion wasn't really painful; it felt like getting a PAP smear. If you've had a baby, insertion is like a mosquito bite compared to labor. I got my Mirena on December 26th, 2013. It's now January 31st, 2014 and I'm still bleeding like an average period. I've read a lot of reviews on here and noticed a trend for the women who have had babies before insertion, and they bled quite awhile longer than women without a history of children.

January 31, 2014 11:49 PM
Review by mmw29 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Age: 24; Births: none; Previous contraceptives: none; I just got Mirena inserted yesterday with no anesthesia. I took 800mg of ibuprofen before my appointment. I experienced two sharp pains that lasted ~10 seconds each--one during measurement and one during insertion. I just tried to relax my bottom and breathe through it. The pain immediately subsided after she inserted the Mirena. I did feel crampy for the rest of the day, but I returned to work and even went to the gym and did a 2 mile run on the treadmill. So it wasn't terrible. I can only comment on the insertion experience since I just got it inserted yesterday, but hopefully this will be helpful for those of you who (like me) are feeling anxious about the insertion.

January 30, 2014 11:06 AM
Review by Kristy 34: User Rating:

I've had the Mirena for 5 years. I'm having it takin out next month. I've really enjoyed having this birth control. For one it was very effective and I didn't have to remember to take a pill. The only thing I have bad to say about the Mirena is it did cause cyst which was very painful at times and as I've read all the reviews not one person mentioned discharge. It causes you to "leak". Its perfectly normal. But to me was gross. And it was a lot! I can say my sex drive has decreased in the last year to where I don't want it at all. Other than that it has been great! Getting it put in didn't really hurt I just felt pressure. Hope this helps!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 27, 2014 10:05 PM
Review by sianscarlet: User Rating:

I just had my mirena removed after having it for 5 years. After only a few days of spotting and cramping I did not have a period for 5 years. I did however cramp a little every month and had mood swings. It was the best birth control experience ever and after having a few cycles I plan on having it put back in.

January 17, 2014 7:11 PM
Review by mia morgan: User Rating:

I've been on Mirena for about a month and a half, the insertion hurt and I've been on my period since then. It's not at all heavy, actually light enough to wear 1 panty liner all day. I think I want to get it taken out soon because I'm also feeling real crampy throughout the day.

January 13, 2014 3:23 PM