User Reviews for Mirena

Learn more about Mirena.

Mirena review summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 202 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Mirena to treat Birth Control

Review by Natasha j:

I wanted to share my experience with the procedure. I am 19 and never have had kids. When they put in the Mirena it didn't hurt like many women on the review said. It felt like a quick cramp and then it was all over with. It's been about three days, and so far I have had light cramping about 3 times a day and spotting.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 12:10 AM

Review by kacielynn (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I've gained alot of weight

November 9, 2014 6:13 PM

Review by Jess808:

I am 19 years old, no kids and the insertion was painful. I love Mirena, probably the best decision I've made in my life. Super effective, no side effects, and I have actually lost weight. I think everyone should try Mirena birth control.

November 8, 2014 1:46 PM

Review by Courtneylars (taken for 1 to 6 months):

While I enjoy not having a period and knowing I am protected from pregnancy without having to take a pill everyday I am having my Mirena removed Thursday. I have only had it 6.5 months and in that time I have had a constant dull back pain, uncontrollable acne and I have also gained 25 pounds. Mirena is just not for me.

November 3, 2014 12:59 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

22, no kids. LOVE. The insertion was painful, I took two ibuprofen 30 minutes prior like my gyno directed.Thanks to the most supportive nurse and nurse aid insertion went smoothly, I was in and out in an hour. After a week of discomfort and 2 months of getting an irregular period I now no longer have a period. This is a miracle device, no kids and no aunts for 5 years.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2014 1:53 PM

Review by KJ1116 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I'm 40 years old with two teenaged children. I was tired of taking a birth control pill daily, and had trouble remembering to take it sometimes. I had the Mirena inserted last month, and it was a painless procedure. I had some minor cramping for the first day or two, but no bleeding. I did not get my period this month and I'm hoping I don't get one ever again! I highly recommend Mirena.

October 27, 2014 2:50 AM

Review by ironside88 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

This amazing device has well and truly changed my life. I used to suffer from extremely heavy periods with cramps and sickness that meant I had to take a minimum of half a day off work a month. I now barely have periods and no longer have to plan my life around those few days each month. I have only given it a 9 because it was pretty painful to insert, otherwise I would have definitely given 10.

October 14, 2014 5:06 PM

Review by lana23 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Enjoying the idea of the Mirena more than having it at the moment. Got it inserted on 10th September 2014 the day that my period finished and have had a heavy period ever since. It's great to not take a pill every day and sex isn't painful as I worried, although there isn't any need to worry because the bleeding is preventing that from happening. I just really hope it settles down and that the bleeding stops. Very jealous of everyone who only had a day or two of spotting.

October 4, 2014 12:34 AM

Review by Britt1234:

Had it for years and love it. Changed it out after not having a period for years and boy it was painful. My first Mirena was nearly painless - just a little tuck. This time it stabbed me hard a few times (quite painful) but each time it was over in seconds. I had menstrual cramps for an hour and that was it. I didn't even get my bleeding back (just a little right afterwards). Yeah! May advice: if you choose the Mirena be patient - the first year I constantly bleed off and on but then my period disappeared. Find a doctor who has done this a lot - I believe experience is the key! Also - have it done when your cervix is dilated during your period. I took Misoprostol for that the night before but that did not help.

September 24, 2014 7:30 PM

Review by Life-changing!:

I love, love, love Mirena. I had my first one put in when I was 21 due to debilitating periods, and I hadn't had any kids. Not going to lie - the pain was truly horrible upon insertion, and I did cramp for weeks afterwards, but after that cleared up 5 years of no periods changed my life. I just had my second one put in yesterday and it was nowhere near as traumatic as the first time since my hormones had leveled out. I HIGHLY recommend it for women who don't want/can't take high estrogen birth control or would like to stop their periods safely. It's been absolutely life-changing for me, and I hope Mirena and other IUD's continue to gain popularity as people see how great they really can be.

September 19, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by NYCGirl729:

Mirena gave me my life back. Ever since I hit puberty at 11 years old I have had horrible, very heavy, very painful periods . Around 18 I was diagnosed with Endometriosis. I would miss school, work, have to double layer my clothes when i slept it was horrible. I tried every birth control out there including Seasonique, The NuvaRing, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Depo-Provera, Loestrin, Lybrel, if you name it I've tried it. Nothing worked. I started having periods that would last for 2-3 weeks. Finally I tried Mirena, having it put in was painful- but bearable. The first 6 weeks I had cramps and spotting. After that nothing. I get a very light 2-3 day period now and then. No cramps. It's amazing and gave me my life back. I'm so thankful for it!

September 3, 2014 2:59 PM

Review by akk99222212:

I got my Mirena almost 6 months ago now and I absolutely love it. I read so many reviews that made me hesitate to get it - it took me months to decide which birth control to get, but my Dr recommended this so I trusted her. I have had 1 child previously, 2 years ago now, so I think that helped make my experience smooth. I took some ibuprofen before getting it put in and there was discomfort but nothing unbearable. I spotted and had irregular periods for the first 2 months, it was really annoying. Then I spotted occasionally for another two months or so. My periods have stopped completely now so it was worth it. Also, the cramping was not bad at all. Nothing more than the moderate period pains I used to get. And my partner never notices it.

September 3, 2014 12:27 PM

Review by lilshorty:

I had Mirena for a little over 2 years now and I love it. I got it after my 2nd child. I did not feel any pain or cramping when the doctor inserted Mirena. I have been on the patch, the pill, Depo-Provera way before I got Mirena. I am 28 years old and in a few more years I am going to get this one again. I would definitely recommend to anyone.

August 21, 2014 6:38 PM

Review by Jchick:

I believe myself to be very pain tolerant. I got one of these inserted, and it caused me so much pain I nearly passed out. Keep in mind, however, that I have never been pregnant before. If you have not been pregnant your uterus does not have as much elasticity. Also, my uterus was set back in a position that made for a difficult time for my gynee to get to it. (This happens when you have not been pregnant sometimes) Nurse said she had never seen the gynee actually have to utilize the ultrasound to insert it. 1 day after insertion, and now I am completely cramp free. Don't let the horror stories scare you. Ease of use, cost (completely free), and effectiveness of this product is phenomenal.

August 20, 2014 5:12 PM

Review by LexiG (taken for less than 1 month):

Went on Mirena as it was one of my only options for birth control due to hormone issues and aura migraines. It hurt pretty bad having it put in. I suggest 800 mg of ibuprofen a half an hour to an hour before insertion. I have never had a child. Right after insertion I felt great, no pain for a few hours, then the cramps began. Nonstop terrible cramps with a little bleeding, for 3 full days. I finally called the Dr and she wrote me a script for Vicodin so I could go to work. No sleep for those 3 days due to terrible pain. The cramps finally subsided but then the stabbing pain started. Terrible stabbing pain in my abdomen. I think my body was rejecting it. I had it removed. Feel much better.

July 10, 2014 5:44 PM

Review by vikkijayne:

I had the Mirena fitted as nothing else worked for me. I've had 3 babies full term. Can honestly say the insertion didn't hurt I hardly felt a thing. Had quite bad cramps afterwards and light spotting but not too bad. Highly recommended to all.

July 8, 2014 5:29 PM

Review by melgunner (taken for less than 1 month):

Had my Mirena inserted July 30 2014, I am giving it such a high rating at this point because I have nothing but positive experiences so far. Unlike most people I had it inserted after having no children, the insertion was slightly painful but just felt like a bad cramp that went away quickly. The cramping stopped 2 minutes after insertion and then I had some mild cramping later that day. Spotting is minimal to null, only noticeable on bathroom tissue. -For anyone thinking of getting on before they have had a kid: I was given misoprostol vaginally to soften the cervix and took ibuprofen for 24 hours before to help with cramping. The misoprostol did not cause me cramping or discomfort as I feared it would.

July 1, 2014 8:30 PM

Review by Great experience (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I am 40 yrs old, and I have had Mirena just 2 months shy of 5 years before having it removed. I experienced some cramping when it was inserted and a few days after. Post removal, I had very minor cramping, but nothing that required medication. I have had no to very light periods the entire time. I still weigh within 5 pounds of what I weighed when I got it. No mood swings, no anxiety, no depression. This is the best birth control that I've had. Previously I was on Depo for 12 years and the pill before that. Everyone's body chemistry is different, therefore, the negative experiences may not be yours. If you are hesitant, I would try Depo Provera first as my experience with both have been very similar.

July 1, 2014 10:56 AM

Review by misslady85:

I'm 29 years old and just had my 4th child. I got it inserted 7 weeks after having my 4th child. Insertion didn't hurt, just a little cramping. I felt dizzy for the 1st 20 minutes. Went to work and had light spotting. Now on my 4th day with the Mirena and I still have light cramping and spotting is now turning into regular bleeding. So far so good!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2014 12:14 PM

Review by becmarie201:

I have had Mirena for almost 3 years now. Getting It removed on Monday for sure. I suffer from depression but ever since I got the Mirena it has gotten worse and my anxiety attacks keep coming and coming. I have severe headaches that cause my vision to be blurry in one eye and my left side of my body goes numb. It's very scary and I can't live like this anymore.

June 27, 2014 8:37 PM

Review by Jeans1234:

I had Mirena inserted two years ago, after I had my fourth child. When It was inserted I did not feel anything at all, I even had to ask the doctor if she was finished lol. For the first year or so, I had unexpected periods some short, some long, some heavy, most very very light. For a short while I was able to predict when I was going to get my period because my mood sings would go crazy. Now Its been two months that I get less then a day periods. It is only a little spotting done. I feel good, I have not gained any weight, no pain, no more mood swing. It does not interrupt my sex life with my husband. I would recommend Mirena to anyone.

June 27, 2014 5:00 PM

Review by KamBam (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I had Mirena inserted in February while I was on my cycle. The insertion wasn't killer, the pain came after when I was leaving the doc. Felt like pulling over & crying. The next day was all good. I bleed through April. It stopped for about 3 weeks & now the bleeding is back with a vengeance. I'm bleeding like crazy. I hope it quits soon.

June 16, 2014 3:06 PM

Review by 548:

I am 45 2 kids had mirena put in January for ease of birth control and was recommended by dr. I have had no hormonal issues. however I have light bleeding almost every day (use 1-2 panty liners a day) since insertion. went back at 3 month dr told me body needs time to adjust. I'm trying to be patient but am about at wits end. had mirena put in so I could have safe sex--now don't have sex cause of constant bleeding. I'm gonna try to wait till 6 months and see if it lets up but not sure I can make it that long--hate to think I wasted 1/2 year on something that isn't working for me. if not I'm having it taken out. was on bc pills most of adult life and never had issue. any body else experience this and did it ever get better?

June 15, 2014 1:19 PM

Review by MamaCass (taken for less than 1 month):

I decided to read the reviews for Mirena after I got it. Wow am I ever glad I waited! Reviews that stated spotting for months, and painful intercourse, would have been enough to put me off for sure. However, I've had a fantastic experience with Mirena so far. Spotted for 1.5 days (not months - DAYS) with only mild cramping. Intercourse after 3 days, and it was as enjoyable, if not more so than before. As I understand, it's better to have had children before using Mirena. I can see why - insertion would likely have been more painful had I not had 1 child. High recommendations, but of course, your doctor will know if Mirena is your best choice. Right down to the tilt of your uterus - there are many factors to take into consideration.

June 10, 2014 7:59 PM

Review by Katy Grace:

I got my Mirena 3 months ago by recommendation from my gyno and a few friends. I was warned how painful the procedure is, but I have a high pain tolerance so I wasn't concerned. Mine was inserted when I wasn't on my period because my period was random and lasted 2 days. The procedure only took about 2 minutes. 1 minute & 50 seconds of that time just felt like hard pressure, more irritating than painful. Then the last 10 seconds were pretty traumatic. I felt like I was going to vomit and almost passed out. However, IT'S ONLY 10 SECONDS. Later that day I went shopping and ate and was fine. Now I have 5 years of no period (it's already gone) and no taking the pill! Couldn't be happier!

June 10, 2014 2:56 PM