User Reviews for Skyla

Birth Control 548 reviews 275 medications

7.3
Summary of Skyla reviews 548 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Skyla

For Birth Control "I had Skyla inserted in October of 2015. The insertion wasn't very painful at all. There was a pinch when they inserted it, but nothing more. I had taken 2 ibuprofen prior to the procedure. For about 2 months after the insertion, I had constant spotting, which was pretty annoying. Since then, my periods have been normal. Twice, I have gotten pelvic cramps after having sex, though I am not sure whether this is related to the IUD. Overall, it is more than worth it to have the peace of mind that I won't get pregnant."

nobabiesyet (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 27, 2016

For Birth Control "I had skyla for about 3 weeks now I just wish my Doctor told me it was very painful i would never got it done he told me it was just a little pain It was very painful i thought I was going to have a baby the pain was unreal I thought i was going to past out and poop in the doctor face thank god i didnt I been cramping and bleeding every sice I hope it goes a way soon because im a little bit worried about it i go to see my doctor on May 31 2016 for a check up"

Blueeyes121581 May 26, 2016

For Birth Control "I had Skyla inserted about three months ago and have been mostly happy with my decision. I'm 28 years old and have never been on the pill - I don't like the idea of all those hormones. The insertion itself was quite painful - I have a high pain tolerance but I would definitely say this was the most painful thing I've ever experienced. It was over quickly though - after a couple minutes I was back to normal. My doc prescribed pills for me to insert in my vagina a couple hours before and it made a difference. Since the insertion I have had an increase in intense cramps but no spotting - never used to get cramps before. My period has been irregular - first one was two weeks late!! I was worried and ended up taking a pregnancy test!"

Kait87 May 25, 2016

For Birth Control "I got Skyla inserted Nov 2016. I'm 28 with no children. I got the insertion because my periods were hell to deal with, bleed for 7 days, I would throw up, bleed everywhere, extra poopy, and deadly PMS. The insertion was horrible! The insertion took no more than 5 minutes, but afterwards I cramped, bleed heavily, threw up, and had major gas. I had to lay down in another room because I was so weak and felt as if I was going to pass out. Finally got home, cramping and throwing up still. (Fast Fwd) I bleed, cramped, bleed, bleed, until the end of March 2016. As of today, random spotting, random painful cramps (seriously), PMS, no weight gain, and a little bit of acne (nothing major). Still better than my period. Good luck to your uterus."

UterusLadi May 25, 2016

For Birth Control "Got skyla inserted about a month ago a few days after my last period. The insertion was uncomfortable but not bad at all. Had severe cramps the first week after insertion but it was managed by ibuprofen. I've been spotting since inserted but had one week without. Started my period last week and it's just been light, almost like spotting (very very annoying). I usually have a 5/6 day period but I'm now going into day 8. Hoping the spotting stops soon so I can stop wearing pads. Good luck to all who try this!"

Kell420 May 25, 2016

For Birth Control "Hey ya'll! I wanted to share my experience since I looked at these religiously prior to going. I got Skyla yesterday around 2 o'clock. I took 800 mg of ibuprofen around 1:15, prior to my appointment. When I went in the entire experience was an absolute breeze. She walked in, told me the risks, set up, and inserted Skyla, all within 7 minutes. I felt a slight period type cramp when she used the sound to measure my uterus, and then a another cramp when she inserted Skyla. The cramp on both occasions did not last longer than thirty seconds. I felt absolutely fine after and even went out to dinner and to a professional baseball game! Everyone is different but don't worry too much - you'll do great!"

19 with no babies! (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2016

For Birth Control "DON'T DO IT! I am 24, have a high pain tolerance, never have had any issue with my birth control, have never been pregnant, am healthy and active! The Skyla insertion was the worst pain I've ever had. I started balling crying. Once it was complete, I nearly passed out walking to my car. I was in severe pain all day and had to leave work. I figured all the pain would subside. I went home, used a heating pad, ate, took some pain killers but nothing helped. I had consistent spotting and cramping. I would usually work out every day... but I was in too much pain to do so. I waited about 10 days to have sex, only to bleed profusely and be in immense pain. I tried to wait it out, kept it in for about a month and eventually had to get it remove"

Leiloni (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2016

For Birth Control "I had Skyla inserted 4 months ago and I am very glad I went ahead with the insertion. The only negative thing I have to say is that I have gained weight since the insertion. I've gained about 15 pounds but, it's not something I'm worried about. If I can give any advice, it would be to not pay attention to other people's ratings of this birth control method. Do what is best for YOU. You know your body and what is best for it. Insertion was painful. I won't lie to you there. I had terrible cramps for about 6 hours after but after that, it was a breeze. For me personally, getting Skyla was the best decision I could have made for birth control."

amandaltenn (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I wasn't near as nervous as I shouldve been before the insertion of Skyla. My doctor said that in some cases your uterus can be pointed a different direction which affects the ease of the insertion, which was my case. Im not sure if this was the reason for my pain but I have never cramped this badly. After having it removed I nearly passed out. I can normally tolerate pain but I've never hurt as bad as I did following the insertion. My cramps were nearly unbearable. I would go through spells that feel how that of contractions would. The cramping eased off after 2 days but it wasnt the end. I'm on my 5th week and although Im not bleeding anymore (I was previously on Depo which made me bleed a consistent 3 1/2 months) It occasionaly cramps."

HannahG May 18, 2016

For Birth Control "Skyla insertion was the most painful thing of my life. It felt like giving birth and the cramps lasted all day. I was pale sweating and dizzy after insertion. Took me and hour to be able to leave the doctors office. However I had the Nexplanon and that was an absolute disaster so I had to choose a different method. I am excited to see how the Skyla works for me (after the pain goes away)."

Kerry555 May 17, 2016

For Birth Control "Update: One month with Skyla! So far I have only bled one week out of the month, woohoo! Also my acne is a lot better, and my weight hasn't changed much tho, although I wish I didn't have an appetite so I could lose more weight! Went to the doctor today and he said everything was still in place and it was looking good! Now only yearly check ups from now on! Hoping for the best!"

18 no kids (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 18, no children but sexually active with my boyfriend. I have had Skyla for 3 months now and I only have positives. Insertion was uncomfortable, it didn't hurt. My face is clearer, I have less appetite, my periods are getting lighter and best of all Im not a teen mom!"

graceface73 May 16, 2016

For Birth Control "I got skyla thinking it would be the best birth control not so much. The insertion was painful and went home with slight cramps. Spotting only lasted for 6 weeks but within the last 4 months I have gained 15 pounds which is very bad. But not having to worry about taking a pill is good. But before you make the decision on this birth control use some other options first because this should be the last option. Will be getting this removed very soon not liking my weight gain."

Skype 525 May 16, 2016

For Birth Control "I had skyla inserted about a week and a half ago. I also took a plan b pill after insertion. The initial insertion was uncomfortable but not painful. Just felt like a little sting. My doctor did not explain to me any side effects and when I left the office I got super dizzy and had terrible cramps that lasted about 3 days. The next week I got my period and the night before I actually started to bleed I had the most terrible cramps of my life (or so I thought). I'm pretty sure the plan b messed up my normal cycle because my period came a week early. I have had my period for about 4 days now and similarly to others comments it is very light. Not messy. But the cramps and back pain are almost unbearable. :(. Has anyone else experienced this"

Kittty101 May 14, 2016

For Birth Control "I got my IUD put in in March of 2015 after over a year of being on the depo shots. The initial insertion was pretty painful, but I was able to drive home and take some aspirin and lay around while the pain subsided after a few hours. I have PCOS (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) and I wanted to try something that I could feel more like myself and have the least amount of side effects on. This has really been working out really great. I no longer have random pain that I used to get and the only negative that I have noticed is a lack of sex drive since getting it inserted, but I am going to the doctor soon to see if it is a side effect or if my hormones are off."

PCOS May 14, 2016

For Birth Control "I just recently had Skyla inserted today. I'm not going to lie.. The insertion did hurt! However, the pain didn't even last 30 seconds. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. Afterwards, I've only had minor cramping that would be the same as it is on my period. I took 1,000mg of ibuprofen about an hour before my visit. My doctor also said there is absolutely no reason to use condoms anymore besides protecting against STD's because skyla is so effective on its own! Hope this helps anyone who is wondering whether or not skyla is right for them..!"

Danielle2318 May 13, 2016

For Birth Control "JUST got it inserted about 2 hours ago. Read all the reviews online before getting it and was absolutely freaking out, my blood pressure was through the roof. I understand everyone is different, but the insertion process was nothing for me, slight cramp on measuring device but other then that couldn't feel a thing! So happy I went through with it. I am on my second day of my period so I'm sure that had something to do with it. In my opinion there is no reason why they should be mechanically dilating your cervix when it naturally dilates every month! That's where the extra pain is coming in. But so far so good, not even any cramping afterwards yet!"

Krisxoxox May 13, 2016

For Birth Control "I rate this a 5 because I'm not sure what else to rate it. I've had it for 2 years now. I've tried the pills and the patch and hated both! I have one problem with skyla and it's the cramps. I started skyla at almost 18 years old. Before that my cramps were a breeze. There were pains but they were tolerable. After starting skyla my cramps were horrible. I'd be on the floor crying because the pain was so intense! No medicine even slightly eased the pain. Idk if this is just because it was just inserted wrong or if it's just how my body reacted. But I know when I got it inserted it hurt very badly and continued to hurt for 2-3 days, while I was told it'd only hurt for a couple hours. If you get skyla I hope your experience is better than mine!"

chelsy1234 May 13, 2016

For Birth Control "I got my IUD earlier this week. I would say that the insertion wasn't so much painful as it was uncomfortable and anxiety inducing. It's weird to have someone poking around up there with metal instruments. The more you relax, the easier it is. I took valerian and motrin before my appointment. Immediately after the appointment I felt sick in the way I feel after a blood draw. My blood pressure was low, my anxiety was kind of high, and my body was not happy about the foreign object. I was crampy and sweaty and nauseous. I went home and put on comfy pants and put a hot water bottle on my belly. I was crampy for about five hours. I've been fine the rest of the week!"

newskylauser (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

For Birth Control "Well I got Skyla in September 2016. I'm 24 and I have a child. It wasn't painful going in for but I bleed for a few days afterwards. My period was normal at first,( I normally see bleed for 3 to 4 days) but 2 months in, I saw my period for 5 days. I have gain about 25lbs and counting. I'm 5'8 and I was 125lbs, I've always been skinny no matter what I ate. Skyla changed all that. I've started working out and changed my diet and still can't loose any weight. Also at the 6 month mark my period changed again, now I spot and have an extremely light flow for over a week which is annoying. Throughout this entire process, I've also experienced a lot of headaches, cramps ( even when I'm not seeing my period) and mood swings. Giving it a year."

C-Pooh (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2016

For Birth Control "If you are reading this the night before you are going to get skyla put in, STOP READING NOW. Every woman is different so how you react will more than likely not be the same as these horror stories you see on here. I made the mistake of reading these and I was so nervous for my appointment. I'll admit, the insertion was extremely painful but only lasted less than a minute. I was lightheaded and my legs were numb for about 5 minutes but I was able to drive myself home. I had some cramping afterwards but nothing too severe. Some ibuprofen every 4 hours made them go away. I got mine put in 2 days ago and my cramps have completely gone away. I'm looking forward to seeing how this works for me! Don't let the negative comments steer you away."

KristenF May 11, 2016

For Birth Control "I had an ectopic pregnancy after only 7 months of using Skyla. My right fallopian tube was removed, I was in the hospital for 5 days and was in the worst pain of my life. When I got it it sounded great - no worries for three years, more cost effective in the long run, but as it turned out I shelled out almost 300 dollars for 6 months and then had to pay thousands in hospital bills on top of that. I wish I had opted for ANY. OTHER. METHOD."

blairbr May 9, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had skyla for a year now, and I am so glad that I decided to go ahead with the insertion. I had always had extremely easy periods until I started college, when they started to get so bad I couldn't leave my bed in the mornings and was missing class. I have a blood disorder so regular pill birth control wasn't an option for me. The insertion of skyla was very painful, however I had never had sex. I was in pain/feeling sick for a week or so after the insertion, but it went away eventually. Skyla gradually decreased my period to where I now no longer see hardly anything in my underwear and I feel hardly and period effects. Skyla has been a lifesaver for me and has drastically improved my wellbeing in college."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 9, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had the slyla iud for 4 months now and the first time I got it I had really bad cramps, dizzy and was sweating like crazy. When I get my period I get the worst cramps of my life. The cramping lasts about 3 days which heating pad and Motrin has helped a bit. I've had light spotting for 3 months which makes it difficult to have intercourse with my boyfriend. I've gained about 10 pounds. Not too satisfied but not kids so far which is a good thing."

Anonymous May 8, 2016

For Birth Control "Experienced extreme hair loss. At first sex drive was through the roof. After six months it dropped to zero. I have lost at least 1/3 of my hair and started having really bad cramping and abdominal pain. It comes out on Monday thank goodness. Would NOT recommend this but everyone is different."

DevKat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 7, 2016