User Reviews for Skyla

Birth Control 139 reviews 255 medications

8.2
Summary of Skyla reviews 139 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Skyla

For Birth Control "I am 39, no kids. I have found Skyla to be worth it. Like all BCs, initially you xp the hormonal flux with acne & side effects. After 3 mos it regulates. I like OB/GYNs, my pref due to abnormal situations. I am highly sensitive to meds. Process: (Clamp, measure, insertion, ultra sound). My docs explanation & I do agree: Sklya for those with no children. Merina - had children. Paraguard - older women going thru the change. My xp: Take a Motrin night before & morning of. 1st day, med pain/lightheaded at insertion, then take a Motrin & lay down. 2nd day - less cramping. 3rd day- normal. Look at this way, you hit your knee on a table. The bruise hurts for about 2-3 days, then your fine. Same xp."

jc2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2015

For Birth Control "I got Skyla inserted 5 days ago. I think it's also helpful to mentioned I naturally miscarried last year for the first time in case anyone wants a comparison. (Skyla insertion > miscarriage) I was terrified of the insertion process but it wasn't like any of the horror stories I've read. I should say I took two ibuprofen 200mg 30 mins before. The best way to describe it is like getting a Pap smear but for an extra minute. The whole process was less than 2 mins & it just felt like an intense cramp briefly. After that I went back to work & didn't feel different for 6 hrs, aside from mental awareness. However, 6 hrs later I started getting bad cramps I remedied w/ sleeping through it. Now just spotting & occasional mild cramps, but no regrets"

Cdt052 August 23, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm 21 and joined the Skyla club four days ago and the procedure did not hurt one bit (with the use of numbing beforehand). HOWEVER the cramps afterwards were some of the worst pain I've ever experienced. I took a muscle relaxer, cried, and laid in bed with a heating pad all day long until the pain subsided. The next day there were barely any cramps. However last night the cramps returned, they were not as painful as before but it prevented me from sleeping and they were enough to groan in pain once every 5 minutes. Today, the cramps are still there but not as bad. Im hoping the painful contraction-like cramps never return."

Alaskarose325 August 23, 2015

For Birth Control "The process did hurt a lot but, it's worth it. Especially if you want to figure out what life really truly has to offer, without the worry of a child. I didn't cramp as bad as I did while on the pill. However, I did cramp like I was on my period. I did spot/ have light bleeding for 2months. Doctors said that was normal. Overall I love the skyla and thinking about getting annoying November, no my 3years won't be up, just don't need any mishaps when it's really time for anew one."

Sess August 22, 2015

For Birth Control "I had Skyla put in Feb 2015. I am 31, no kiddos, I went to work immediately after getting Skyla put in. I took 2 Aleve and the pain/severe cramps were gone. I had my first period for 17 days straight. One week no period. Then 2 more weeks of period. Eventually getting lighter and lighter but still the full 7 days. Side effects are acne, gained 15lbs, moody and no cramping. I have tried everything to work off the added pounds but nothing is working despite eating healthy and working out 5 days a week. Not sure if I will be keeping it in the full 3 years, the side effects are just not fun."

Claire1984 August 20, 2015

For Birth Control "I've never had kids, and read all the horror reviews before going for my appt. Truth is: Yes it was super uncomfortable. The clamp felt like a period cramp that wouldn't ebb off. It was not 'painful', and definitely not the worst pain I've ever been in. If you've stubbed your toe or had your ears pierced, you will be just fine. I held the nurse assistants hand which really helped (silly I know) and I talked about something else the whole way through to keep distracted. Please don't let the 'insertion torture' reviews put you off having the IUD. Everyone is different, and it's unlikely you will be one of the people who has an awful experience. I drove there and home myself and was fine."

beansprout August 20, 2015

For Birth Control "19yrs old. Hispanic about 105 pounds. No kids. One sexual partner for years. I before this was on the pill and nueva ring to help maintain the excruciating period pains. I didn't just have bad ones. I have had to go to the hospital on more then one occasion. So the insertion was nothing compared to that but I admit if you aren't used to pain don't walk in without taking ibprophen and the pill they prescribe before the procedure. So far lots of spotting. Wear a light pad. Slight increase in acne.I pee WAY more often. Sex is great. So worth it. So freaking worth it."

Merida Bunny August 19, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm 21 years old with no children. After trying many options of birth control I decided to try Skyla. The procedure is painful I am not going to lie, I stayed at the doctors office until I felt better. I advise that someone else drives you there. I had cramping for the next day or two but nothing terrible. Every once in a while I will get some cramping that lasts 30 minutes. I have been on Skyla for 3 months and have only had my period once. My doctor informed me that about 5% of Skyla users will stop getting a monthly period. I have gained15 pounds! I am happy with the choice I made to get Skyla, there is no need to worry about taking a pill or replacing a ring. I would recommend Skyla even though it is painful at first."

Anonymous August 18, 2015

For Birth Control "I am 21, no kids. Chose skyla for period regulation and pregnancy control, and was previously on oral pills. The insertion was excruciatingly painful, I screamed on the measuring and insertion. Then I had horrible cramps that made me double over. No bleeding. Now I have a severe yeast infection causing blisters on my vulva, and am extremely tired and sensitive. I would not recommend this. Ultrasound is tomorrow for week after checkup, may get it removed! Do not do it. The horror stories are true! I tried to be positive about it but there is nothing positive now, hospitalization may be in my future. I'm seriously concerned for my health. This is one big "T" shaped mistake! I regret everything about it, and am now stuck out of work."

Brie101 August 17, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm 16, just had surgery on a Fallopian cyst, and I was scared to get my period again (I was on depo for three years before hand, and no not because I was sleeping around at 13 to try and reduce the cyst.) so I decided on Skyla, my insurance paid for it all. I went in that day around 4 pm and sat on the table nervous as hell. Doctor told me for some people it hurts and some people it doesn't. So they started the process and she was very detailed. She got to my cervix and I passed out from the pain. Worst pain ever, and I have a high pain tolerance. I woke up confused and scared and feeling sick. I had my dad pick me up. Listen to every review and know you could react the same way. 5 days later slight cramping, but I'm okay!"

Peyton F. August 16, 2015

For Birth Control "I am 18 with no kids and decided I wanted to go through medical school without having to worry about having a child so decided on Skyla. For the insertion I took one Xanax I don't remember the dosage but my experience was pretty much painless a slight burning feeling when she pulled on my cervix but nothing more! My period has lightened a ton! But the cramps I get during my period are very painful! Overall I love it and am a firm believer in it!"

Chey1025 August 14, 2015

For Birth Control "I got Skyla 2 years ago (around $2000 total for 3 years) , and want to get another one the next summer (3 years limit). The insertion of course is never fun, no surgery of any form will be - but I was well enough to enjoy movies that night with friends. My periods have gotten lighter and it's effective in preventing pregnancy. The only grief I have received from the little IUD was monthly cramps that I associate with 'my body trying to get rid of it' and sometimes it's so painful I have to curl on the floor, stay still, and sometimes whimper and cry. However, I'm a big girl and it's perhaps twice as painful as my normal menstrual cramping and I'd rather have that once a month than a child I'm not ready for."

Mo200 August 14, 2015

For Birth Control "I am 30, never had children, and can handle a lot of pain. I have always had very painful periods , I am very sensitive to hormone changes. I love my OBGYN ! She is great and fast. That being said it took two try for her to put my IUD in. The first time she had to send me home with a prescription to soften my cervix and I was on the end of my period. It is just a very stubborn cervix, she doesn't like to be touched. It was extremely uncomfortable to say the least!!!!!!!!! Both times. However totally doable. The second time we got it in just fine. I had some major cramping but nothing i am not already use too. I was a bit lite headed , my Doc told me that would happen. I was fine after a few minutes though and could walk out just fine. I cramped for the rest of the day. The first time my husband and I had sex everything went fine. However 30 to 45 minutes later I started to have extreme discomfort and cramping. Four weeks later and I am spotting constantly, extreme cramps, Tender sore swollen breast and incredibly bloated. I see my doctor in 2 more weeks. I sincerely hope the side effects go away. Because three years without having to take birth control would be nice. If they don't I will have to have this removed I am in constant pain in discomfort."

Womanofthe90's (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2015

For Birth Control "I had Skyla inserted a little over a year ago. The insertion itself wasn't too painful, but I did have bad cramps for the rest of the day after insertion. However, I no longer get cramps with each period. My periods are WAY lighter than they were pre-IUD. The one thing I've noticed that I don't like is that I'll think my period is over, but a couple days later it'll sneak attack and come back out of nowhere (though so light that I only need a thin pantyliner). I've gained about 8lbs since I had Skyla put in, but also have a job change where I went from walking all day to a desk job so I don't know if there is a direct correlation, just thought I'd mention."

Michelle487 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 11, 2015

For Birth Control "I am 45 years old I've never had a child I've been taking birth control since I was 16 and my doctor advised me to quit . She told me the newest IUD was the Skyla the woman that I've never had a baby so that's why I picked it . She gave me Cytotec to take the night before the procedure to loosen my cervix but I was still very nervous when I went to the office . The insertion was painful but I got through it . I have experienced a lot worst pain in my life I was nervous for nothing . But now that I've had it for two months I have not had any spotting or any bleeding I am very happy so far . After the insertion I barely even had any cramps ."

Eatingclean1969 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2015

For Birth Control "I had my appointment to get skyla today. Beforehand, I read a lot of these comments which really made me nervous about going through with it. Let me tell you, it is not as bad as all these stories make it seem. The doctor will talk you through it step by step and let you know what they are doing. Inserting the device felt like a normal period cramp. They will reccommed that you take some deep breaths during the insertion which helped me a lot. It's been a few hours and all I feel is very mild cramping, nothing some Tylenol won't help. Would definitely recommend skyla to anyone looking for an effective form of birth control."

SM19 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2015

For Birth Control "A low-hormone IUD was recommended to me by my doctor because of my family history with breast cancer. I've recommended IUD's to my friends and 3 of them have gone through with the procedure and are pleased with the simplicity of IUD's. There is a reason this method of birth control is one of the most effective! The first month or two I had variable mood swings around the time of my period but I stuck it out and my hormones have since stabilized. No longer do I have to remember taking a pill or replacing a ring. My doctor said I can expect my period to "normalize" around the 8th month. I am now in my 10th month and my period is spotty with maybe one day that requires using tampons."

lasaw (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 10, 2015

For Birth Control "The insertion didn't hurt much. My doctor was very gentle and explained the entire process as it was happening. I just felt minor pressure and the most pain I felt was towards the end. Every so often I do get a sharp pain but it lasts no more than a minute and it feels like a bad cramp. My period have been getting lighter (I was already irregular to start with but when I did get my period, it would be heavy). My skin has also cleared from acne. I'm barely breaking out, although I broke out a little more when I first got it inserted. Overall I'm glad I got it, that way I don't have to worry about taking a daily pill. However, I've gained 15 lbs!!!!!! I literally gained them within a month."

Review77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2015

For Birth Control "I told my doctor I read all the horror stories and I was so nervous, she told me to NEVER do that. She said she doesn't know what kind of doctor a lot of people go to but she has never ever witnessed anything like these posts say in her 12 years being a obgyn. Anyways.. I went in extremely nervous and really wanting to run out of there and never come back but once it was time she walked me through every little thing she did. Not gonna lie, my fists were clenched as tight as I could because it did hurt! But nothing that I couldn't handle. Pain is pain. Finally done & I had some bad cramps for the rest of the night so I took some ibuprofen and snuggled on my couch it's been two days and I have no pains! I'm so happy I chose skyla!!!!"

Chickk1 August 7, 2015

For Birth Control "I went in expecting some pain and cramping and that is exactly what I got. I am 18 and have never had a child but I hate remembering to take pills so decided on Skyla. The best way to describe the procedure is: uncomfortable! For me, the clamp and cleaning part was just an odd feeling. The worst pain was when the actual device was inserted. It was basically menstral cramps but 100 times worse. I got extremely light headed and threw up all over myself. The doctor informed me that those side effects are normal and I'm fine. After 5 minutes, I did still have cramping but was able to drive home. I had non-stop extreme cramps for about 6 hours after the procedure and they finally went down after taking Midol. The pain is worth the safe 3 years!"

Kelsie M August 6, 2015

For Birth Control "Skyla works great for me. Now. When I first had it inserted it was the worst! I've broken bones and had kidney stones and it wasn't as bad as the pain I had after it was inserted. I was sick to my stomach after and in pain, bed ridden for a few days. The pain continued for about a month, lots of spotting. I will never get it again, but after the pain it serves as great and easy birth control without worries."

Amcb90 August 6, 2015

For Birth Control "The insertion was only uncomfortable. I wouldn't have even called it painful! I have had no side effects and it's been 3 months since I got married."

Cat24 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 6, 2015

For Birth Control "I had the skyla inserted a few days ago and I love it! I wasnt on my period when I went so my doc gave me 1mg Xanax waited then gave me 2mg Xanax tyloneol 4 and a cortisone shot waited in the waiting room with my mom, 15 minutes and I was out of it 2 nurses carried me back there don't remember the procedure at all nurse had to help me get dressed went back to waiting room told mama I wanted burger king fell asleep in the car an slept the whole day. They prescribed me 800mg ibuprofen haven't had to take it once, already had sex. So far so good"

Shar1996 (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2015

For Birth Control "I got the Skyla put in about three weeks ago. I made my appointment before work thinking I would just have some mild cramping (I can take pain). Nope. It was all good until the doctor got to my uterus. I'm 19 with no kids, and this was the most uncomfortable pain in my life. I could barely stay still and I was screaming on the table. When he was finally done I went pale and felt like I was going to pass out, doubled over with the worst abdominal pain ever. He got me ibuprofen but that did nothing. I had to make an emergency call out to work and I had to stay in the office for at least 45 mins. Could barely drive home and horrible cramps at least 5 hrs after. Now I just take ibuprofen some days I have cramps some days I don't."

Chelsey L (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2015

For Birth Control "Just had skyla put in yesterday. Overall, super pleased with it. I was on the pill for cramps, but I wasn't it taking it as directed. I am about to get married and don't need a baby! I am 25, not sexually active, no kids. I am a weenie for pain and I read some of the horror stories so I was nervous but had reassurance from my best friend who already had skyla. Insertion was not as terrible as I thought it might be. Around a 5-6 on the scale but the discomfort is brief, maybe a minute. I didn't have any issues as far as dizziness/weakness. I did bleed from insertion but my doctor had me use a tampon and it was no biggie, just like getting your period and it stopped within 24 hours. Minor cramps briefly after. Overall positive experience."

KenTin (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2015