User Reviews for Skyla

Birth Control 355 reviews 271 medications

7.5
Summary of Skyla reviews 355 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Skyla

For Birth Control "I am 19 and have never had kids. After reading reviews on skyla I didn't know what to think or what to expect. I have had surgery and broken bones and I can honestly say that this was the worst pain I have ever felt. It lasts for only a couple seconds and overall the procedure takes only a couple minutes. Expect complete bed rest the day of insertion, and pain for the week following."

Maryk485 February 2, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 21 with no kids. I got the Skyla put in today after reading these scary reviews and ..yeah it hurts , I won't lie to you. Y'all ..I wanted to bite my gyno's head off but true enough it only lasted like 30 seconds tops. It's super quick , I went into the Dr office at like 3pm and was in my car headed home at 3:15pm . Lol I didn't bleed during the process but around 8pm I started spotting and the pain is gone. I'll be back soon to update everything ! :)"

SouthernBelle94 February 2, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 25, and I had Skyla inserted November 2014 after having my daughter in April 2014. The insertion was only slight more discomfort than a normal exam, but I did have a cesarean, so things were still numb. Afterwards, I had relatively normal periods for a few months, but then they slowly lightened, and have actually disappeared for over 18 months now. My 12 month checkup revealed a normal pap and a surprised ob when I told her my periods had stopped completely. .. but she said it wasn't a bad thing. I do experience slight breakouts around the time I would be getting my period, but other than that, all PMS has vanished. No complaints here at all."

mrskanauss (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 1, 2016

For Birth Control "I had Slyla inserted in August 2015 after being on the pill off and on for four years. The insertion was the most painful experience. I cramped and bled lightly for almost two weeks after the insertion and had mild paranoia from it. During my first period I had very sharp, very centralized cramps and lasted only for a few minutes but happened once a day for the first three days. I would always spot two weeks before my period as well. My periods did become slightly lighter. I noticed during my second month that my sex drive was gone and my husband noticed as well. I also started feeling depressed during the fourth month and noticed mood swings and weight gain. I've gained 10 pounds with no change to my lifestyle. I'm have it removed tomorrow"

ECM February 1, 2016

For Birth Control "So I've had the iud inserted sometime in November a little before thanksgiving and I've had serious serious bleeding and lots of bad cramping, days where I'm not even able to get out of bed! can't remember when was the last time I didn't run to the store for woman necessities (pads, tampons) .. debating whether to make an appointment with my obg to get it removed! And I can't forget to mention the nausea bad temper mood swings and tears. I hope this bc works for some of you girls! Good luck "

Hahley (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the skyla placed in October. Since then,my skin has improved and I have began to lose weight. I was unable to lose weight on depo and I'm just happy that skyla has been able to put me back on track. However, in Feb. I had a 13 day period. I would recommend skyla to anyone and it is definitely worth it."

BestfriendSkyla (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 18 years old and could never keep up with the pill so I went looking for other birth controls. After lots of consideration I decided to go with the Skyla and I can say it's been the best decision I've ever made. I've had it for 14 months now and I'm 80% sure my periods have stopped. I will admit the insertion was the worse pain I've ever felt! I've read a lot of reviews saying girls reacted badly with daily bleeding, major PMS, and weight gain but I never had any of that. I barely get cramps. I will say follow Drs orders and check your strings after every period or at least once a month it'll settle your nerves. Don't feed into IUD horror stories, you'll just psych yourself out. It's amazing not having to take a daily contraceptive!!!"

madi1997 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 30, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 25, never had kids and I got my Skyla inserted on Jan 6 2016. Insertion was PAINFUL (but you can do it). That only lasts a couple of minutes which is good. The worst was the aftermath. I was hot, sweaty, in pain to where I couldn't move, thought I was going to vomit or pass out. They had to give me crackers and juice to stop me from shaking and sat me in a recliner with a heating pad. This helped A LOT but I still had to get someone to pick me up. I was better a few hours later but still crampy. The most annoying part after the first day was the spotting. But now I think I'm on my actual period (the bleeding is heavier) and the cramps are NO JOKE - definitely worse than before. I hope this subsides soon. I can't lie I'm nervous for sex."

SOS7000SOS (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2016

For Birth Control "I just had Skyla put in about an hour and a half ago. Insertion was not near as bad as the internet made it seem. I'm a little campy but I've honestly had worst cramps. I was going to go in for the Paragard but they were out of them so I decided to try the Skyla. I'll post another update in like a week or so."

Z master (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2016

For Birth Control "I have been on pills for 2 years now but kept forgetting to take them and figured that wasn't too safe. I got the skyla inserted today and my overall experience wasn't all that bad. I had a bad stomach cramp, during insertion, that is the type of cramp like you have to use the bathroom! Lol but then after that I had severe menstrual cramps that lasted for a few hours after the procedure. My overall pain rate of the procedure was a 5 out of 10. Now, I am perfectly fine and feel normal! Hope this works good in the long run!"

Alpal (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 21, with no kids. I have tried birth control for the first time when last year me and my boyfriend started dating. The pill was probably the worst experience for me, I gained about 15lbs, bleed for 6 months straight I was on it and it made crazy mentally. I finally got off of it and went to my OB, she suggest Skyla because she loved it so I gave it a try because I was not about to go on the pill anymore. Yes, it was such a painful experience when inserting the IUD and many weeks to a month after still sharp pains in my abdominal region, also was bad for the first 4 months but now I have been on it for about 6 months and I have little to no bleeding on my periods, little PMS and crampings but they are tolerable. I also lost about 10lbs"

Clur b January 29, 2016

For Birth Control "TWO WEEK UPDATE:I have lost weight and feel like myself again but I had to take the fourth day after insertion off work because I had a meltdown and the worst of pain from it. Next day and after it hasn't come back! However, my sex drive is completely gone. It's nice to know I won't get pregnant, but it's like I have absolutely no interest in even kissing. No bleeding tho! 22, no kids, small and etropian cervix. Will update after a couple more weeks..."

No pill no prob (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 26, child-less, and cursed with painful, heavy periods. After trying pill after pill, I spent 4 years without birth control. Decided to try Skyla after an OB GYN and friend recommended it. Not going to lie--- worst pain I've ever felt having this thing put in! The 6 weeks following I bled almost everyday and had little random lightning-storms of bad cramps. After 3-4 months, my period are lighter and my PMS symptoms have improved. I still have bad cramps for a few days each month, but I'm finally glad I got this IUD. Husband doesn't feel it, and it's nice not having to use condoms. On top of that, I think my appetite has decreased - not sure if it's related. In a nutshell, I recommend it. Just expect an adjustment period of time"

B.V. (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had Skyla for about 5 months and have mixed feelings about it. The insertion wasn't that big of a deal (uncomfortable but tolerable) but it's the side effects I've been having issues with. First of all, I bled everyday for the first two months along with horrible cramps. It's gotten better since but I still spot a lot. I'm a person who has always had strong reactions to hormonal bc and I am starting to notice mood swings and an overall more sad mood than normal. I don't know if this is bc of Skyla but it probably is because it's not like me to feel like this. I also have lost about 15 pounds and know I have an ovarian cyst which I never had before. I'm considering getting it out even though it's nice to not take a daily pill."

Nikki4567 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2016

For Birth Control "I got skyla when it was fairly new. I just had a child and they suggested this was the in between of the two main IUDs, between no hormone and high hormone No bleeding at first but then 6 months of spotting. No trouble with sex. Eventually no periods at all. I loved it. Then I was worried about it not working anymore since I was told could last "up to" 3 yrs. I had it removed. OMG I didn't realize the changes that skyla had made to me. As soon as getting it removed i felt a difference. I was excited to have a period too. (Weird) I have had it removed for two weeks and have lost 7 lbs. I gained about 30 lbs in the 3 yrs of it! And my emotions were all out of wack, but again I didn't realize the subtle changes. Glad it's out!"

Kels000 January 24, 2016

For Birth Control "I had Skyla put in two days ago, and honestly it wasn't bad at all. Going in it just felt like a weird cramp and it was pretty uncomfortable but considering the facts that it was over in a few minutes, I'm used to terrible cramps, and I'm now completely protected from pregnancy and more painful periods for three whole years, I found it to be completely worth it. Just keep taking deep breaths, take ibuprofen an hour before and after, and do your best to relax and you'll be absolutely fine."

maddi13 January 24, 2016

For Birth Control "PLEASE LISTEN Ladies please. IUD method of bc is different for everyone. I'm 21 and had skyla for a year and a half. At first there were no complications. Later on, maybe 5 or so months into it I got terrible cramping. TERRIBLE. Where I would have to stop and drop everything I was doing, a PARALYZING stabbing feeling in my abdomen and vagina. It happened continuously throughout the day every day. It made it hard to go to work. A few months after that I get diagnosed with an ovarian cyst in my right ovary. Usually not a big deal but it was painful. A month after that......I have a huge cyst on my kidney. Which resulted in me having to get surgery and i lost half my kidney. Thanks skyla."

Brookem520 January 23, 2016

For Birth Control "The procedure is a fleeting moment compared to how long you keep it in! I've been on Skyla for about 8 months. I'll keep it simple. My periods have gotten inconsistently messed up, from spotting to nasty thick stuff and for sometimes - for weeks at a time. My partner can feel it during intercourse so that's a bit annoying for him. Biggest issue hands down is how bad this thing has made my PMS symptoms. Not just physically but mentally. The mood swings are awful - considering early removal."

CeeCeeCeeCeeCeeCee January 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I got skyla on January 5, 2016 & I was so happy I didn't have to worry about pregnancy again. The procedure only took my doctor a minute but the downfall is I've been bleeding every since & that sucks when you wanna have intercourse. But I recommend this birth control highly."

Tzaspo January 22, 2016

For Birth Control "Ok so this review is for the women who are mothers like myself and all you keep reading are these horror stories about how painful the process was. I had skyla inserted this morning I was very nervous because all I kept reading was how painful it was. I took 800mg of ibuprofen because that's what they told me when I scheduled the appointment. The whole process took about 5 minutes including the Pap smear and the actual placement I felt ABSOLUTELY NOTHING not a thing (thank goodness!!) no cramping, no bleeding nothing the Pap smear was more uncomfortable but that's just me. It's been a few hours since my appointment and I feel great honestly, let's see how the next days go. I am a mother of 2 with my newborn being 7 weeks old I'm 23yrs old"

Mrsceja January 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I have had my skyla for about 8-9 months now and I recommend it to everyone I know. The day before I had my insertion I read this whole page of reviews and really psyched myself out about how painful it would be to be put it in. Yes, it was very painful during and quite uncomfortable the rest of the day of (I would recommend a day off from work that day). I bled a bit and avoided sex due to it being uncomfortable for a few weeks, after that it was totally fine and my boyfriend couldn't even tell it was there. Again, if you're on the fence about this I highly recommend it. Although painful and a little annoying at first I'm now 8 months in and as long as I'm interested in birth control I'll never go back to anything else!"

shelbyyyy1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 21, 2016

For Birth Control "I am 18, and never been pregnant. I have a very small cervix and had issues with the initial insertion. I originally went in to get the mirena but after 10 minutes of pushing and pulling it didn't go in so I opted for the skyla. I had a lot of pain the day of and the two days following but now I have had it for a while I love it. My boyfriend have had sex I'm sure upwards of one hundred times unprotected and I haven't gotten pregnant yet. I haven't had a period since the month of and I've had it for 9 months now. Totally recommend it."

Cloud9on2197 January 21, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had Skyla since November 2014 and it was one of the best decisions I have ever made! I used to have painful, heavy periods, but now I spot for about 5 days each month, and only feel mild cramping on the first day (no medication necessary!) I don't even require tampons, anymore; pantiliners are more than enough! The insertion was painful, but bearable. I took 2 Advil 2 hours before my appointment (I HIGHLY recommend this!) My boyfriend drove me home afterwards, even though I could have driven. I babysat that night, continued taking Advil every 6 hours (even if I wasn't in pain) for the next three days, and only experienced occasional cramping during the next 3 months. LOVE Skyla, I can't imagine EVER going back to the pill!"

mahreeah93 January 21, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the Skyla inserted in November of 2015 due to my doctor thinking it was a better option for me since I am forgetful of the pill. The birth control part has done well but the side effects and pain of it is totally not worth 3-5 years of birth control. I have not felt myself ever since and My periods are excruciating. I used to never cramp and now I feel terrible when I am about to start and start my period. Not to mention the weight I have gained on it. I have gained about 20lbs since then. I have dieted, worked out, and taken weight loss pills and nothing seems to help. I will be contacting my doctor to have it removed in the next day or two. It is not worth it in my opinion. I will be going back on the pill after I have it removed."

AlBow1996 January 19, 2016

For Birth Control "Like another girl said, don't read these reviews if you are about to get Skyla. I am only writing my own personal experience of it so that girls who have the same heavy periods and weird cervical issues know what to expect. My doctor was a pro and it only took ten seconds. However, it WAS PAINFUL. Don't let anyone tell you it won't be because I guarantee every single person who has gotten one in has at least felt a pinch from the cervix opener. That was the most painful part. And I have a high pain tolerance. No kids, 22. But once again, everyone's body is different. The pain from contractions after was way worse than the insertion. But I will update after a week. I've been on almost every pill. Take STRONG pain meds prior and after and SLEEP!!"

No pill no prob (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2016