User Reviews for Skyla

Birth Control 517 reviews 275 medications

7.3
Summary of Skyla reviews 517 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Skyla

For Birth Control "I had the Skyla put in on 3-16-16. During insertion I experienced the worst cramping I've ever felt & I got hot sweats & almost passed out. I felt miserable cramps for the next few days & bad bloating. The first 2 months my periods lasted 8 days & were very heavy. Since I got it almost 3 months ago I have gained 15 pounds while still using my same workout & eating plan. Also my boyfriend tells me during sex he can feel the wires poking him and it kind of hurts. Not only that I have felt slightly bloated since the placement of Skyla. I thought I would just wait till the 6 month marker but I this point I am sick of feeling this way & gaining weight. I am having it removed tomorrow & going back to pills which I've been on for the past 3 years"

pt. not happy (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2016

For Birth Control "Update: 2 weeks in with skyla, after a week of being on Skyla I stopped taking my pills (as told by Doctor since Skyla isn't effective until 7 days after insertion) and started bleeding, more than a panty liner but not enough to fill a regular tampon, it's been like this for a week now and I'm annoyed, I can't tell if this is when my period is now or what? Idk, not happy, I wanna have sex with my boyfriend but I can't because I'm bleeding!! Ugh!!"

18 no kids (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2016

For Birth Control "I got the Skyla inserted on about day 5 of my period and I was still having a pretty heavy flow. My doctor had me put the Cytotec into my vagina the night before to soften my cervix. That night I took about 400 mg of Ibuprofen because I didn't know if it would cause cramping. I felt nothing from the pill and wasn't in pain. So I went to get the Skyla put in and my doctor said the pill had worked and my cervix was soft. My doctor numbed my cervix which really was uncomfortable because I hate getting shots especially there. I'm not really sure if the numbing did much as I still felt discomfort. The pain was very mild for me though, it just felt someone was poking as far up you as they could possibly go. The procedure was very quick though."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2016

For Birth Control "I got skyla about two weeks ago. I read reviews the night before and was horrified but prepared. The insertion was horribly painful!! I had horrible cramps, sick to my stomach, and dizzy for a few hours after. the pill was making me sick and emotional but not so far with skyla. The only negative things I experience now from skyla is horrible random cramps daily and I've been spotting ever since. But I'm not pregnant still that's a plus."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

For Birth Control "Getting it put in was painful and felt like bad cramps but it wasn't to bad. I was very informed and had very heavy periods before getting it done. I got it put in 3/09/16 and now that it's 4/30/16 I haven't stopped spot bleeding or cramping. I have another appointment on the 8th to cut my strings further."

Laurentrippysix April 30, 2016

For Birth Control "I've had skyla about 2 months now and I love it! My only issue is that my first 2 days of my period I get aweful cramps but the doctor said those will subside in a few months. Also, when I have to poop really bad I'll start to cramp too, but once I go then they go away haha"

I've tried them all! (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2016

For Birth Control "I had an absolutely terrible experience. I had it in for 6 months and had 2 periods a month, dibilitating cramps that made me cry from pain, mood issues, suicidal thoughts, terrible acne, and 20 pounds of weight gain to name a few. I now have self harm scars from how far this thing pushed me. I really wanted to like Skyla but it did not work for me. Don't make the same mistake I did, check if you have a progesterone intolerance before you get one of these things in!"

HannahLO April 30, 2016

For Birth Control "Hey ladies hoping I'll help someone out there that's a worry wart like myself! I got skyla implanted yesterday and so far so good! I was on the second day of my period during insertion but as soon as it was placed I've had almost no bleeding! Slight cramps here and there but nothing crazy. Insertion hurt like a mother but it's bearable. (19 w/o kids)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2016

For Birth Control "So I got skyla inserted yesterday morning, I'm 22 and never had children before but after research I decided this was the best form of birth control for me right now. Before I went I read all the horror stories and actually cried to my doctor that I was scared but let me tell you don't listen to these horror stories. I got mine inserted on Day 2 of my period ( get it don't while on your period). I don't have a high pain tolerance at all but my doctor not only talked me through everything but was talking to me about my life maybe to distract me. I felt an intense period cramp for about 30 seconds and that's all I felt. I haven't even been cramping after. I'm extremely happy with skyla!"

Pippy127 April 29, 2016

For Birth Control "I absolutely LOVE my Skyla Iud. I first got it last year in March of 2015 a year after having my daughter. The insertion hurts pretty bad for like MAYBE 10 seconds, but it's totally worth it. I've never felt more myself on a birth control. The pros for me are an increased sex drive (OMG.), I feel way happier, I have light periods, I haven't gained any weight, I don't have crazy acne, and I never notice it! I've actually had 2 IUDS now in the last year because my other one kind of fell out and started to imbed in my uterine wall (which we didn't know until removal. OUCH!!), and I kept having bleeding, but I loved it so much that as soon as I got that one out, I got another! It's totally worth it! I recommended to all my women friends!"

LaurelSelena14 April 29, 2016

For Birth Control "This thing is giving me so many problems it's ridiculous. I've had to drive all the way to the gyno SEVERAL times because of my side effects. Coincidently, I have yet another appointment today. My body does not like this thing. When it was first placed inside, I experienced the worst pain I have ever felt in my life (no joke). If you want a pain rating, I'd give it a 10/10. I still felt cramping a while after and the pain was so bad that they put me in a different room in order to sleep off the pain. Keep in mind I took pain relievers before the process as suggested. When I finally gathered enough strength to drive myself home, I continued to feel pain (8/10) for the next 3-4 days. Period lasted about 10-13 days. *wish I could write more"

ThisThingIsKickingMyButt April 28, 2016

For Birth Control "I had Skyla inserted 8 weeks after having my 2nd child through c-section. The insertion was very painful but quick about 5 min, I had some moderate cramping few days after but nothing serious. I was breastfeeding at the time, not sure if it's Skyla's fault but I lost my milk supply almost completely after getting it inserted. I only had one period after the insertion it was much heavier then my normal period, lasted for about 5 days with very heavy bleeding on day 2 and 3. And 3 months later I fond out I was pregnant, so much for 99.8% protection."

Got pregnant on Skyla (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 28, 2016

For Birth Control "Literally just got Skyla implanted today. Do it on your period and take max. dosage of painkillers an hour ahead. I'm 20- no kids. It hurt a lot but its like a bad cramp. Still getting used to it but the best part is that you can get this removed whenever!"

Anon-TheCool1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2016

For Birth Control "23 with no children, I've had Skyla for almost a year now. I'm an active duty military spouse so I paid absolutely nothing for this IUD. I was on the depo shot for several years and experienced pretty severe weight gain but had no periods, light occasional cramping. Then I switched to the pill for several more years, towards the end I had regular once a month periods with controlled weight and no acne but excruciating breast and head pains. Which was the deciding factor to change. My doctor and I opted for Skyla hoping to eliminate my previous symptoms. So far, I've had absolutely no periods, no spotting and no cramping. My head aches have improved for the most part. No breast pain yet, but I have experienced acne and weight gain."

AnnaBF (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 27, 2016

For Birth Control "It is extrememly effetive. I'm having mine removed in two days after having it just a few days shy of two years. Insertion hurt like noones business, cramps afterward were the worst I've ever had, and my period before was pretty terrible. My periods were irregular after that, prior to this I had 3-4 day periods at the same time every month. Now I never know when theyre coming, I gained a considerable amount of weight, which Ive gotten under control with diet, as my periods are almost always close to two weeks long. Intercourse more often than not is painful or at least uncomfortable, especially with the onset of my period. Sometimes after climax there are temporary very painful cramps. Its worth it for the most part, sometimes its not."

BelleE (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 26, 2016

For Birth Control "Skyla was placed 6 weeks after delivery. Slightly uncomfortable, but so much better than my previous Mirena. Just take take something over the counter first. My first period was heavier and longer ( no periods with Mirena after first few months), and I haven't had another period yet with Skyla. I still have other PMS tupe symptom like irribility and slight cramping... But no more periods for me ! I'm going on 10 months now"

Nancer (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 26, 2016

For Birth Control "I got Skyla about a year ago and I love it. The insertion was slightly painful but only lasted a few minutes. I was dizzy the hours after and did have some cramps but it only lasted about a day. I hardly get my period; light spotting. Although when I do get my period, I get cramps, which I never used to get when I was on the pill. Im not pregnant so that's a bonus. Overall my only complaint is the cramps I now get. I would recommend this to everyone!"

Rissy0218 April 26, 2016

For Birth Control "Okay. Here's the deal. My body was not thrilled about this change. When it was inserted 3 years ago it was excruciating. I could barely stand. Then I had the same damn pain for 6 months STRAIGHT. And this pain is best described as the worst poop ever. It hurts. It feels like there's a soccer team practicing in your uterus With a heavy period every two weeks. Then the ovnoxious pain would only come when I had my period which thankfully went from every two weeks to once a month and then to kinda rare. Only occasionally. But the pain was still so unbearable that I had to get prescription pain medicine. That didn't work. However. I figured it was worth it. So I left it in. Here I am 3 years later and still bad cramp"

Emyo April 26, 2016

For Birth Control "The insertion does hurt but it's tolerable. I'm glad I didn't read these reviews beforehand because I would've been super freaked out! I got my Skyla inserted about 4 days ago and the worst part was after the insertion because I got some pretty painful cramps. They went away after about 5 hours and haven't came back. I'm still spotting a little bit but nothing too bad. If you're reading these reviews just remember everyone's body reacts differently to birth control."

Anonymous April 25, 2016

For Birth Control "So let me just start out by saying I have had skyla for 3 years now and I never got pregnant so that's a plus . 1. Insertion is painful but just like a really bad cramp last only a couple of seconds . 2. Post insertion I had a lot of spotting for the first 2 weeks got a little annoying , but stopped . 3. For the past 3 years I have been having irregular periods sometimes I have my period for 2 weeks , sometimes there is no period . I feel very painful cramps during these periods but if u don't want to get pregnant what's a couple of cramps ? . PROS .... Very effective birth control , easy ,sometimes no periods , no acne ( depends on the person I guess ) . CONS .... Lost of sexual appetite , increase in discharge ,weight gain . its ok ."

Domixclusive April 23, 2016

For Birth Control "I read so many reviews about how painful insertion would be, and I got myself really worked up and was very nervous when I went to see my doctor. I'm happy to say that is wasn't in the littlest bit painful. I am 26 and do not children. Granted I have really bad cramps when I get my period, which is part of the reason I needed birth control. But there was no pain, no pinch, nothing. I felt like I was having a MILD period cramp, for about 30 seconds, and then I felt completely fine. No cramping or pain at all afterwards. I took 800mg of ibuprofen about 30 minutes before, and I think that helped a lot. I would rate it about 2/10 on a pain scale, and the "pain" is pressure and mild cramping"

Cmblack22 April 23, 2016

For Birth Control "I am 23 no kids. I got the IUD over a year ago and I am experiencing changes in my period. They last 7 days when they used to last 3. I get horrible cramps and discharge a week before them. They have also changed in dates. Mine used to be around the first of the month now they show up whenever they feel like it. The only plus side is that I am not pregnant but that's only because I can't have sex due to the long periods and weird cramping and discharge."

Skies427 April 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I got Skyla inserted about two weeks ago, while I was on my period. It was difficult for the doctor to find my cervix which made the procedure VERY painful. The next couple days I had terrible cramps. Now all I'm dealing with is light spotting and an occasional bad cramp. The spotting is very annoying though! If that goes away soon then it was definitely worth it."

violetkitty April 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I'm 22 with no kids. I had been on birth control pills since I was 17 & had decided to try an implant. My insertion was definitely a 9/10, 9 being almost unbearable.The first 3-4 weeks were crazy.My cramps were intense & I was sleeping with a heating pad almost every night. I didn't have an appetite and being on my feet at work made the cramps worse. I kept going back to the doctor to make sure that the implant was in the right spot, thinking it wasn't because something felt really wrong. everything was normal and they suggested I wait it out another couple weeks. I did and I'm now in my 5 month with it and I love it.just wanted to let the girls out there know that if you're considering taking it out, give it awhile longer!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 22, 2016

For Birth Control "I am 25 years old, no kids. I had Skyla inserted just over a week ago. I am writing this because I'd wish I wouldn't have overdramatized and freaked myself out by scrolling through countless pages of nightmarish reviews, and for the sake of other women that may be doing the same thing right now. My insertion was definitely painful, but not life ending (like some of the reviews). Best way to describe my experience was that it felt like a bee sting inside of me - lasting about 1 minute. I felt only slightly dizzy but was actually quiet surprised that I felt relatively ok. I did take the day off to recover, had to use a heat pad to relieve some severe cramping about 20 minutes later, but by the end of the day I was taking the dog for a walk :)"

Wasn't THAT bad! April 21, 2016