User Reviews for Skyla

Learn more about Skyla.

Skyla Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 226 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Skyla to treat Birth Control

"I had skyla inserted October 2014, it is now February 2016. I am 29 years old and have been on birth control since I was 21. I have tried several different varieties of the pill as well as Nuevo ring. In search of the perfect birth control I think skyla comes close, but not perfect. There a couple cons to this birth control, but in my opinion the pros definitely out weigh the cons. Pro: free- completely covered by my insurance. Pro: almost worry free. I was told to check the strings every month to make sure the IUD is still in place. So far so good. con: When I switched to skyla my menstrual cramps returned after almost 9 years. They are not as bad as I remember and after a heating pad and Advil I am fine. con: irregular period"

Roheath February 9, 2016

"I had the skyla inserted 02/03/2016 I have 2 kids I still felt some pain and some spotting it's pretty comfortable but keep in mind everybody's body is different just go based on your own experience"

1215karla (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

"These reviews scared me to death, but I decided to try it anyway. I've never had a child, so the insertion was super painful, even though I was on the last day of my period and got both a shot and medication for softening and opening the cervix. It wasn't sharp pain, just extreme discomfort pain, but after it was in, it didn't hurt. I've felt fine since, aside from some minor cramping. It's been 12 hours and I haven't bleed or cramped a lot. So far so good. I'll update later."

First time on BC (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2016

"I have 3 children my youngest being 3 months old, my husband planned for a vasectomy in February so in the mean time I had Skyla placed just a month ago. Worse pain I have ever felt and I had natural labor before, I spotted for a week then it stopped , then these unusual cramps started where I would have to stop what ever I was doing and breathe throu the pain, it was awful. I made an appointment with my OB to check it out and a week before it The pains stopped so I cancelled it. Today was my month check up to make sure the IUD was placed correctly still, well it moved and I have to have it surgically removed , I would not recommend this to anyone not even my worse enemy."

Fuino February 6, 2016

"I'm 22, no kids and I just got the Skyla inserted yesterday 2/4/16. I read all these horror stories online and made myself extremely nervous! The whole experience took about 15min from signing in to waiting my turn to the actual insertion to walking out the door. The insertion was very painful but lasted only 30secs! I cramped all day after but nothing ibufrofen couldn't help. I spotted for a few hours. Used a heating pad to help with the cramps. I switched to skyla from depo and I'm hoping I made the right choice. Only on day two so I will update when I got back for my follow up."

Quene February 5, 2016

"(18) First of all my doctor did not prescribe any pain med or even tell me to take Advil before coming in to have Skyla inserted. I loved the idea of a 3 year birth control with no work as I can hardly remember to take my daily vitamin everyday! It was the worst pain of my whole entire life. I've had 160lbs fall directly onto the top of my knee cap and this experience was by far worse than that. I have longer lighter periods now which I hate because my period was perfect before, the standard 7 day period and now I bleed randomly and there is no pattern at all. After it was inserted I went to check out and felt so faint and sick I ran to the bathroom and almost threw up. I felt awful and like I was going to pass out. The mood swings suck."

Getting this out ASAP (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 5, 2016

"Caused cramps and weight gain took it out after 3 months after the crazy mood swings"

Safi87 February 5, 2016

"I am 22 with a two and a half month old baby. I just had the Skyla inserted yesterday. I had made myself sick reading all the reviews and horror stories. I almost skipped my appointment! I took 600mg of Ibuprofen (because of the fear). I kid you not, I didn't feel a thing! Not a pinch, or a cramp, or anything at all! I was able to drive and walk right afterwards, no pain, dizziness, or any of that! By the time I got home, I felt a hint of a cramp but was completely fine. We're now into the next morning and I feel more crampy but its manageable. The worst side effect for me so far is really bad gas and I feel a bit crabby. Its not horrible for everyone! Please don't kill yourself with these reviews if you are about to get the Skyla."

LiaJ February 4, 2016

"I got my IUD inserted Jan 4 2016, I am 25 and have no children. The implantation was painful but lasted less than 1 min. I did not experience cramping but I do have spotting. I am currently on my 1st period since getting skyla implanted. I'm used to the pretty much non existent periods from my oral contraception. I'm 6 days into my period :( . Not having to take a pill everyday at the same time and filling a prescription is a plus but I'm so over irregular bleeding. I will give this thing a full 6 months before I consider removing it."

:) (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

"So I just had my skyla inserted. I really don't know why people say it's the worst pain of your life, my doctor prescribed medication to soften the cervix and I took 800mg about an hour before my appointment. My doctor also applied topical anesthetic and while I was mentally preparing myself for the pain he told me we were done. I couldn't help but laugh at myself for being so nervous. Ladies just ask your doctor to take these measures to make you comfortable and you'll be fine"

Becca D February 3, 2016

"I just got the Skyla inserted this afternoon so I can't say anything for the long term experience but the insertion was bearable. I definitely felt it and possibly let out an audible "yelp" but as soon as it was over the pain subsided. Maybe 30 seconds of total pain. Afterwards I had mild cramps, similar to first day period cramps, but to be fair they wanted me on my period during insertion so who knows if it's from the insertion or just normal period cramping. I did make the mistake of being fairly active and going out to dinner and the cramping was pretty unbearable. Just wave after wave of bad cramping. I'm hoping once I get some rest that the cramps will subside. Fingers crossed."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

"It did hurt but it was quick. It was pretty uncomfortable, like any OBGYN visit. The part that hurt the most was when they pinched the cervix. It was sharp and crampy. But it only last like a 30 seconds. I did feel cramps the rest of the day. My period is now very light and I get mild cramps. They are not as bad as they used to be. I thought my periods were going to be gone for good tho :( lol oh well. It is a great feeling knowing I will not be pregnant at least before I am 22. :)"

19, no kids, 2 weeks with iud (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

"I am 19 and have never had kids. After reading reviews on skyla I didn't know what to think or what to expect. I have had surgery and broken bones and I can honestly say that this was the worst pain I have ever felt. It lasts for only a couple seconds and overall the procedure takes only a couple minutes. Expect complete bed rest the day of insertion, and pain for the week following."

Maryk485 February 2, 2016

"I'm 21 with no kids. I got the Skyla put in today after reading these scary reviews and ..yeah it hurts , I won't lie to you. Y'all ..I wanted to bite my gyno's head off but true enough it only lasted like 30 seconds tops. It's super quick , I went into the Dr office at like 3pm and was in my car headed home at 3:15pm . Lol I didn't bleed during the process but around 8pm I started spotting and the pain is gone. I'll be back soon to update everything ! :)"

SouthernBelle94 February 2, 2016

"I'm 25, and I had Skyla inserted November 2014 after having my daughter in April 2014. The insertion was only slight more discomfort than a normal exam, but I did have a cesarean, so things were still numb. Afterwards, I had relatively normal periods for a few months, but then they slowly lightened, and have actually disappeared for over 18 months now. My 12 month checkup revealed a normal pap and a surprised ob when I told her my periods had stopped completely. .. but she said it wasn't a bad thing. I do experience slight breakouts around the time I would be getting my period, but other than that, all PMS has vanished. No complaints here at all."

mrskanauss (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 1, 2016

"I had Slyla inserted in August 2015 after being on the pill off and on for four years. The insertion was the most painful experience. I cramped and bled lightly for almost two weeks after the insertion and had mild paranoia from it. During my first period I had very sharp, very centralized cramps and lasted only for a few minutes but happened once a day for the first three days. I would always spot two weeks before my period as well. My periods did become slightly lighter. I noticed during my second month that my sex drive was gone and my husband noticed as well. I also started feeling depressed during the fourth month and noticed mood swings and weight gain. I've gained 10 pounds with no change to my lifestyle. I'm have it removed tomorrow"

ECM February 1, 2016

"So I've had the iud inserted sometime in November a little before thanksgiving and I've had serious serious bleeding and lots of bad cramping, days where I'm not even able to get out of bed! can't remember when was the last time I didn't run to the store for woman necessities (pads, tampons) .. debating whether to make an appointment with my obg to get it removed! And I can't forget to mention the nausea bad temper mood swings and tears. I hope this bc works for some of you girls! Good luck "

Hahley (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2016

"I got the skyla placed in October. Since then,my skin has improved and I have began to lose weight. I was unable to lose weight on depo and I'm just happy that skyla has been able to put me back on track. However, in Feb. I had a 13 day period. I would recommend skyla to anyone and it is definitely worth it."

BestfriendSkyla (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2016

"I'm 18 years old and could never keep up with the pill so I went looking for other birth controls. After lots of consideration I decided to go with the Skyla and I can say it's been the best decision I've ever made. I've had it for 14 months now and I'm 80% sure my periods have stopped. I will admit the insertion was the worse pain I've ever felt! I've read a lot of reviews saying girls reacted badly with daily bleeding, major PMS, and weight gain but I never had any of that. I barely get cramps. I will say follow Drs orders and check your strings after every period or at least once a month it'll settle your nerves. Don't feed into IUD horror stories, you'll just psych yourself out. It's amazing not having to take a daily contraceptive!!!"

madi1997 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 30, 2016

"I'm 25, never had kids and I got my Skyla inserted on Jan 6 2016. Insertion was PAINFUL (but you can do it). That only lasts a couple of minutes which is good. The worst was the aftermath. I was hot, sweaty, in pain to where I couldn't move, thought I was going to vomit or pass out. They had to give me crackers and juice to stop me from shaking and sat me in a recliner with a heating pad. This helped A LOT but I still had to get someone to pick me up. I was better a few hours later but still crampy. The most annoying part after the first day was the spotting. But now I think I'm on my actual period (the bleeding is heavier) and the cramps are NO JOKE - definitely worse than before. I hope this subsides soon. I can't lie I'm nervous for sex."

SOS7000SOS (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2016

"I just had Skyla put in about an hour and a half ago. Insertion was not near as bad as the internet made it seem. I'm a little campy but I've honestly had worst cramps. I was going to go in for the Paragard but they were out of them so I decided to try the Skyla. I'll post another update in like a week or so."

Z master (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2016

"I have been on pills for 2 years now but kept forgetting to take them and figured that wasn't too safe. I got the skyla inserted today and my overall experience wasn't all that bad. I had a bad stomach cramp, during insertion, that is the type of cramp like you have to use the bathroom! Lol but then after that I had severe menstrual cramps that lasted for a few hours after the procedure. My overall pain rate of the procedure was a 5 out of 10. Now, I am perfectly fine and feel normal! Hope this works good in the long run!"

Alpal (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2016

"I'm 21, with no kids. I have tried birth control for the first time when last year me and my boyfriend started dating. The pill was probably the worst experience for me, I gained about 15lbs, bleed for 6 months straight I was on it and it made crazy mentally. I finally got off of it and went to my OB, she suggest Skyla because she loved it so I gave it a try because I was not about to go on the pill anymore. Yes, it was such a painful experience when inserting the IUD and many weeks to a month after still sharp pains in my abdominal region, also was bad for the first 4 months but now I have been on it for about 6 months and I have little to no bleeding on my periods, little PMS and crampings but they are tolerable. I also lost about 10lbs"

Clur b January 29, 2016

"Well for starters everyones body is different so I didn't scare my self so much with the reviews. I'm 20 and I've had the Skyla for about 7 days now. To be sure I will update this after a month or two. During the procedure I really felt nothing and it happen so fast. After a couple hours if being home I did start to get minor cramps but it wasn't so bad I was prepared for it since I was told ahead that it would happen.. so far these couple days have been smooth with a cramp here and there. was told I could have sex the same day but I gave my self the waiting game till I really felt it is right time to start having sex again. I recommend this type of birth control to anyone I know."

lexielee19 January 27, 2016

"TWO WEEK UPDATE:I have lost weight and feel like myself again but I had to take the fourth day after insertion off work because I had a meltdown and the worst of pain from it. Next day and after it hasn't come back! However, my sex drive is completely gone. It's nice to know I won't get pregnant, but it's like I have absolutely no interest in even kissing. No bleeding tho! 22, no kids, small and etropian cervix. Will update after a couple more weeks..."

No pill no prob (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016