User Reviews for Skyla

Learn more about Skyla.

Skyla Review Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 209 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Skyla to treat Birth Control

"I decided to go with Skyla due to the slightly smaller size. I'm 27 years old and have no children, nor have I ever been pregnant. I had the Skyla placed this morning by my obgyn, and I must say, it was a breeze. I will note that my provider prescribed Cytotec vaginally for the night before and morning of the procedure. Apparently this medication dilates the cervix and makes it easier for implantation. On a scale of one to ten, I'd be reluctant to even say it was a two. Honestly, my Pap smear was more painful. I'm hopeful that the next few weeks will go as smoothly. However, as of right now, I highly recommend skyla. Ladies, don't let the horror stories freak you out."

Krystin (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2015

"I've taken oral birth control pills for years after getting an on call job I was no longer to take them at a scheduled time. I'm 23 and sexually active and would love to wait until I'm ready for my own family. Insertion for me personally felt like a hardcore cramp , one like no other I had felt before but it was over quickly. One bad part! Hours after I had been home I went to go outside and suddenly felt nauseas, got extremely dizzy with blurred vision I thought I was about to pass out! Supposedly its normal but it was still terrifying. After the first day I have had no other symptoms (spotting ,moodiness, etc ) and have to say I love my Skyla. Its worry free birth control and gives me peace of mind for the next 3 years!"

Kayla91 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2015

"I've had four kids; including a set of twins. A friend of mine told me how much she loved the Skyla, so I figured I would give it a go. The procedure was quick, easy & painless. I've now had it for 3 weeks & my side affects are random bleeding, light cramping & unusual tiredness. Both are common & I was told my body will regulate after three months. It gets a A in my book!"

Kayli Lynn August 26, 2015

"This is the third day I've had skyla and so far my experience has been excellent. I'd suggest taking ibuprofen all throughout the day and put a heating pad on your stomach (what i did). The procedure was uncomfortable and painful (i cried) but so far, extremely worth it. The day after I got it the bleeding significantly reduced, and today it's hardly bleeding. First day was the worst but definitely doable. As far as being emotional. The first day I was very irritable but I'm assuming it was because I was hurting and hungry all day. Other than that I've been great!"

skylaaaaaa August 26, 2015

"I was scared to death to have my Skyla inserted, but after getting it done yesterday, it really was no big deal at all. I took 800mg of Ibuprofen an hour before my appointment and that helped me relax quite a bit. My boyfriend came with me to the appointment and held my hand through the whole thing and that helped a lot too. There was some cramping during the insertion but other than that, it wasn't much worse than having a pap smear done."

Whitney82 August 26, 2015

"I'm 23, no kids. Had Jaydess (Canadian name for Skyla) inserted about 6 weeks ago, and so far so good! I decided I wanted to get off birth control pills because I suspected they were causing depression and anxiety (they were!). The insertion was really painful, but I later learned my uterus was "8/10 on the difficulty scale", so I'll accept that. I had light spotting/bleeding almost every day, for 5 weeks, but it stopped completely last week. The bleeding was 90% less than what I'm used to for my period. I had my checkup today and everything looks good! My verdict is if the pill isn't bothering you, it's probably not worth the pain and money. But if you're like me, and have had issues, I highly recommend trying Skyla/Jaydess."

chloe633 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2015

"I am 39, no kids. I have found Skyla to be worth it. Like all BCs, initially you xp the hormonal flux with acne & side effects. After 3 mos it regulates. I like OB/GYNs, my pref due to abnormal situations. I am highly sensitive to meds. Process: (Clamp, measure, insertion, ultra sound). My docs explanation & I do agree: Sklya for those with no children. Merina - had children. Paraguard - older women going thru the change. My xp: Take a Motrin night before & morning of. 1st day, med pain/lightheaded at insertion, then take a Motrin & lay down. 2nd day - less cramping. 3rd day- normal. Look at this way, you hit your knee on a table. The bruise hurts for about 2-3 days, then your fine. Same xp."

jc2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 24, 2015

"I got Skyla inserted 5 days ago. I think it's also helpful to mentioned I naturally miscarried last year for the first time in case anyone wants a comparison. (Skyla insertion > miscarriage) I was terrified of the insertion process but it wasn't like any of the horror stories I've read. I should say I took two ibuprofen 200mg 30 mins before. The best way to describe it is like getting a Pap smear but for an extra minute. The whole process was less than 2 mins & it just felt like an intense cramp briefly. After that I went back to work & didn't feel different for 6 hrs, aside from mental awareness. However, 6 hrs later I started getting bad cramps I remedied w/ sleeping through it. Now just spotting & occasional mild cramps, but no regrets"

Cdt052 August 23, 2015

"I'm 21 and joined the Skyla club four days ago and the procedure did not hurt one bit (with the use of numbing beforehand). HOWEVER the cramps afterwards were some of the worst pain I've ever experienced. I took a muscle relaxer, cried, and laid in bed with a heating pad all day long until the pain subsided. The next day there were barely any cramps. However last night the cramps returned, they were not as painful as before but it prevented me from sleeping and they were enough to groan in pain once every 5 minutes. Today, the cramps are still there but not as bad. Im hoping the painful contraction-like cramps never return."

Alaskarose325 August 23, 2015

"The process did hurt a lot but, it's worth it. Especially if you want to figure out what life really truly has to offer, without the worry of a child. I didn't cramp as bad as I did while on the pill. However, I did cramp like I was on my period. I did spot/ have light bleeding for 2months. Doctors said that was normal. Overall I love the skyla and thinking about getting annoying November, no my 3years won't be up, just don't need any mishaps when it's really time for anew one."

Sess August 22, 2015

"I had Skyla put in Feb 2015. I am 31, no kiddos, I went to work immediately after getting Skyla put in. I took 2 Aleve and the pain/severe cramps were gone. I had my first period for 17 days straight. One week no period. Then 2 more weeks of period. Eventually getting lighter and lighter but still the full 7 days. Side effects are acne, gained 15lbs, moody and no cramping. I have tried everything to work off the added pounds but nothing is working despite eating healthy and working out 5 days a week. Not sure if I will be keeping it in the full 3 years, the side effects are just not fun."

Claire1984 August 20, 2015

"I've never had kids, and read all the horror reviews before going for my appt. Truth is: Yes it was super uncomfortable. The clamp felt like a period cramp that wouldn't ebb off. It was not 'painful', and definitely not the worst pain I've ever been in. If you've stubbed your toe or had your ears pierced, you will be just fine. I held the nurse assistants hand which really helped (silly I know) and I talked about something else the whole way through to keep distracted. Please don't let the 'insertion torture' reviews put you off having the IUD. Everyone is different, and it's unlikely you will be one of the people who has an awful experience. I drove there and home myself and was fine."

beansprout August 20, 2015

"19yrs old. Hispanic about 105 pounds. No kids. One sexual partner for years. I before this was on the pill and nueva ring to help maintain the excruciating period pains. I didn't just have bad ones. I have had to go to the hospital on more then one occasion. So the insertion was nothing compared to that but I admit if you aren't used to pain don't walk in without taking ibprophen and the pill they prescribe before the procedure. So far lots of spotting. Wear a light pad. Slight increase in acne.I pee WAY more often. Sex is great. So worth it. So freaking worth it."

Merida Bunny August 19, 2015

"I'm 21 years old with no children. After trying many options of birth control I decided to try Skyla. The procedure is painful I am not going to lie, I stayed at the doctors office until I felt better. I advise that someone else drives you there. I had cramping for the next day or two but nothing terrible. Every once in a while I will get some cramping that lasts 30 minutes. I have been on Skyla for 3 months and have only had my period once. My doctor informed me that about 5% of Skyla users will stop getting a monthly period. I have gained15 pounds! I am happy with the choice I made to get Skyla, there is no need to worry about taking a pill or replacing a ring. I would recommend Skyla even though it is painful at first."

Anonymous August 18, 2015

"I am 21, no kids. Chose skyla for period regulation and pregnancy control, and was previously on oral pills. The insertion was excruciatingly painful, I screamed on the measuring and insertion. Then I had horrible cramps that made me double over. No bleeding. Now I have a severe yeast infection causing blisters on my vulva, and am extremely tired and sensitive. I would not recommend this. Ultrasound is tomorrow for week after checkup, may get it removed! Do not do it. The horror stories are true! I tried to be positive about it but there is nothing positive now, hospitalization may be in my future. I'm seriously concerned for my health. This is one big "T" shaped mistake! I regret everything about it, and am now stuck out of work."

Brie101 August 17, 2015

"I'm 16, just had surgery on a Fallopian cyst, and I was scared to get my period again (I was on depo for three years before hand, and no not because I was sleeping around at 13 to try and reduce the cyst.) so I decided on Skyla, my insurance paid for it all. I went in that day around 4 pm and sat on the table nervous as hell. Doctor told me for some people it hurts and some people it doesn't. So they started the process and she was very detailed. She got to my cervix and I passed out from the pain. Worst pain ever, and I have a high pain tolerance. I woke up confused and scared and feeling sick. I had my dad pick me up. Listen to every review and know you could react the same way. 5 days later slight cramping, but I'm okay!"

Peyton F. August 16, 2015

"I am 18 with no kids and decided I wanted to go through medical school without having to worry about having a child so decided on Skyla. For the insertion I took one Xanax I don't remember the dosage but my experience was pretty much painless a slight burning feeling when she pulled on my cervix but nothing more! My period has lightened a ton! But the cramps I get during my period are very painful! Overall I love it and am a firm believer in it!"

Chey1025 August 14, 2015

"I got Skyla 2 years ago (around $2000 total for 3 years) , and want to get another one the next summer (3 years limit). The insertion of course is never fun, no surgery of any form will be - but I was well enough to enjoy movies that night with friends. My periods have gotten lighter and it's effective in preventing pregnancy. The only grief I have received from the little IUD was monthly cramps that I associate with 'my body trying to get rid of it' and sometimes it's so painful I have to curl on the floor, stay still, and sometimes whimper and cry. However, I'm a big girl and it's perhaps twice as painful as my normal menstrual cramping and I'd rather have that once a month than a child I'm not ready for."

Mo200 August 14, 2015

"I am 30, never had children, and can handle a lot of pain. I have always had very painful periods , I am very sensitive to hormone changes. I love my OBGYN ! She is great and fast. That being said it took two try for her to put my IUD in. The first time she had to send me home with a prescription to soften my cervix and I was on the end of my period. It is just a very stubborn cervix, she doesn't like to be touched. It was extremely uncomfortable to say the least!!!!!!!!! Both times. However totally doable. The second time we got it in just fine. I had some major cramping but nothing i am not already use too. I was a bit lite headed , my Doc told me that would happen. I was fine after a few minutes though and could walk out just fine. I cramped for the rest of the day. The first time my husband and I had sex everything went fine. However 30 to 45 minutes later I started to have extreme discomfort and cramping. Four weeks later and I am spotting constantly, extreme cramps, Tender sore swollen breast and incredibly bloated. I see my doctor in 2 more weeks. I sincerely hope the side effects go away. Because three years without having to take birth control would be nice. If they don't I will have to have this removed I am in constant pain in discomfort."

Womanofthe90's (taken for less than 1 month) August 11, 2015

"I had Skyla inserted a little over a year ago. The insertion itself wasn't too painful, but I did have bad cramps for the rest of the day after insertion. However, I no longer get cramps with each period. My periods are WAY lighter than they were pre-IUD. The one thing I've noticed that I don't like is that I'll think my period is over, but a couple days later it'll sneak attack and come back out of nowhere (though so light that I only need a thin pantyliner). I've gained about 8lbs since I had Skyla put in, but also have a job change where I went from walking all day to a desk job so I don't know if there is a direct correlation, just thought I'd mention."

Michelle487 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 11, 2015

"I am 45 years old I've never had a child I've been taking birth control since I was 16 and my doctor advised me to quit . She told me the newest IUD was the Skyla the woman that I've never had a baby so that's why I picked it . She gave me Cytotec to take the night before the procedure to loosen my cervix but I was still very nervous when I went to the office . The insertion was painful but I got through it . I have experienced a lot worst pain in my life I was nervous for nothing . But now that I've had it for two months I have not had any spotting or any bleeding I am very happy so far . After the insertion I barely even had any cramps ."

Eatingclean1969 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2015

"I had my appointment to get skyla today. Beforehand, I read a lot of these comments which really made me nervous about going through with it. Let me tell you, it is not as bad as all these stories make it seem. The doctor will talk you through it step by step and let you know what they are doing. Inserting the device felt like a normal period cramp. They will reccommed that you take some deep breaths during the insertion which helped me a lot. It's been a few hours and all I feel is very mild cramping, nothing some Tylenol won't help. Would definitely recommend skyla to anyone looking for an effective form of birth control."

SM19 (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2015

"A low-hormone IUD was recommended to me by my doctor because of my family history with breast cancer. I've recommended IUD's to my friends and 3 of them have gone through with the procedure and are pleased with the simplicity of IUD's. There is a reason this method of birth control is one of the most effective! The first month or two I had variable mood swings around the time of my period but I stuck it out and my hormones have since stabilized. No longer do I have to remember taking a pill or replacing a ring. My doctor said I can expect my period to "normalize" around the 8th month. I am now in my 10th month and my period is spotty with maybe one day that requires using tampons."

lasaw (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 10, 2015

"The insertion didn't hurt much. My doctor was very gentle and explained the entire process as it was happening. I just felt minor pressure and the most pain I felt was towards the end. Every so often I do get a sharp pain but it lasts no more than a minute and it feels like a bad cramp. My period have been getting lighter (I was already irregular to start with but when I did get my period, it would be heavy). My skin has also cleared from acne. I'm barely breaking out, although I broke out a little more when I first got it inserted. Overall I'm glad I got it, that way I don't have to worry about taking a daily pill. However, I've gained 15 lbs!!!!!! I literally gained them within a month."

Review77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2015

"I told my doctor I read all the horror stories and I was so nervous, she told me to NEVER do that. She said she doesn't know what kind of doctor a lot of people go to but she has never ever witnessed anything like these posts say in her 12 years being a obgyn. Anyways.. I went in extremely nervous and really wanting to run out of there and never come back but once it was time she walked me through every little thing she did. Not gonna lie, my fists were clenched as tight as I could because it did hurt! But nothing that I couldn't handle. Pain is pain. Finally done & I had some bad cramps for the rest of the night so I took some ibuprofen and snuggled on my couch it's been two days and I have no pains! I'm so happy I chose skyla!!!!"

Chickk1 August 7, 2015