User Reviews for Skyla

Learn more about Skyla.

Skyla Review Summary

8.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 206 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Skyla to treat Birth Control

"Ive had the skyla IUD for over a year now. It was very painful, even with cervix softening drugs, remember to take ibuprofen as well. It was inserted and I experienced heavy cramping. Before I had tried every birth control imaginable. I love my skyla. I was scared the first few months and had pregnancy tests on hand, but my RN reassured me after my month post op that I couldn't get pregnant. I would recommend skyla to everyone. Especially since on the depo shots I gained weight. The skyla has some progesterone but not so much as the depo Shots. Only downfall is the re insertion of my new IUD in 2 years. I have lost 10 pounds, and never have to remember appointments! Insurance covered because it's preventive health, no babies for me !!"

SteeleA May 22, 2015

"Today I had Skyla inserted. Have been using regular birth control pills for years. Decided to try Skyla to curve my high blood pressure due to the hormones in the birth control pills. Was informed to take Misoprostol 24 hours before appointment to prepare the cervix (make the procedure easier). They said this procedure would hurt worse because I have not had any children. This procedure was surprisingly very painful for me. Would not suggest this form of birth control unless you absolutely needed this form of birth control, only because I found it very painful."

"Get an IUD they said. It'll be fun they said" (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2015

"Just got Skyla today. My gyno said it would be best to get it on the last few days of my period since I haven't had kids. It finished yesterday, got the skyla today, and the pain was pretty minimal (I took two advil before). A bit more painful than a pap smear, but it was over super quickly. I had mild cramps and spotting throughout the day, but with advil it was totally fine! Seeing all I had to pay was a $50 co-pay for the doctors visit, this was definitely a great choice for three years of birth control!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2015

"I just got my Skyla placed yesterday, so this is going to be updated down the road. I'm twenty years old and generally experience very painful cramping during my periods. Before my appointment I took a couple ibuprofen (not for the insertion but for my existing cramps). I got it done on the second day of my visit from Aunt Flo. There were about 10 seconds of pinching pain where they straightened out my cervix, but the actual placement of the device was painless. I had one or two tiny cramps just after it was placed, but it was nearly an hour and a half after the placement before I got any real cramps. Nothing worse than my monthly discomfort. NOT as bad as I was expecting."

HMGregg (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2015

"Does Medicaid cover this?"

Cajunyank May 14, 2015

"So I received the Skyla around Feb 3 2015. It hasn't been that long but it is very relieving knowing its pretty impossible to have a child right now. The insertion was EXTREMELY painful. May have been worth it for that time but I won't be doing it again.I have tattoos and a high pain tolerance and it was horribly painful. It felt like someone was scraping my cervix with a knife. Anyways , everything seemed good. I started off with some spotting here and there but it was so little that it didn't bother me. Now this last period is never ending. Like I said it hasn't been months or anything of straight bleeding, but I can tell that something isn't right. Skyla is new, so do your research."

Anonymous May 7, 2015

"I started off with the pill but like most teens couldn't remember to take it. I went to the doctor & she told me about skyla. Getting it was probably the most painful thing ever. My cervex wouldn't soften so I had to get the medicine to make it soften. I had really bad cramps for about 2 days & even missed a little bit of school but I hate pain & can not stand it. But I don't regret getting it because I really do love it. I still do get periods ever month but my Dr. said it was normal for Skyla. I love not having to worry about taking a pill or having to worry if something accidentally happens. I totally recommend this to every body, especially teens!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2015

"I got my Skyla put in May 2013. I was the first person my Doc put one in. My period was kind of unpredictable for a few months, which was expected. I started Boot Camp 4 mo later, which makes everyone's cycle crazy, synching with 60 girls. I had my period for a month, then didn't have anything but occasional spotting for a year. Maybe 3 days of spotting every three or four months. It was AWESOME. And no pregnancies in the months leading up to leaving, despite unprotected sex with my fiance. Then, a year after my period stopped, it started again. Now, after 2 years, I spend 2.5 weeks on my period and 2.5 weeks off. Talking to doc soon because this is so frustrating."

HoosierGirl391 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 5, 2015

"I just got my IUD installed yesterday, the placing of it was so painful for me. My doctor said the that usually it hurts more when you haven't had a baby before, the cramping feels like a slight contraction, that's what he described it as. That kinda made me feel like not wanting kids anymore - not going to lie. Today is day 2 with it and I feel cramping for a few seconds come and go. He said I will feel cramping as my body adjusts to it. So far so good, other than the placement and the cramping, I have seem to lost my appetite.... im the type that would eat every 20 minutes and as soon as It was placed my sense of hunger was gone. I'm not sure if it has to do with the cramping or the IUD but hopefully it stays like"

Anonymous May 5, 2015

"I got my skyla inserted last Thursday April 23, 2015 today it's been a week after insertion. Placing the skyla was an intense pain for myself. Lots of craming and pressure which was very uncomfortable. After the insertion I had craps very mild but cramps for the first few days. 3 days after insertion I had really bad cramps and I had to take medication to relieve the pain. Today marks a week I've been spotting none stop which is annoying, but w/e that's a common side effect. The only thing I can say is that as soon as they inserted skyla I've lost my appetite (completely). I spend hours without eating and I don't get nauseous or dizzy which is very not like me. I force myself to eat, because I know I have too"

Ivyyy April 30, 2015

"I was put on birth control pills for severe cramps, however, I tried 4 brands of pills and was unable to tolerate combined hormones. They made me irritable and very sad with a lot of crying. My Dr suggested the Skyla and I received it March 2015, insertion was not bad but she gave me a Valium before she inserted. I only felt some cramping but I am used to severe cramps anyway so it was tolerable. Since insertion I have had severe cramping, spotting and moodiness. I am either crying or angry. I feel exactly like I did on the pills. This is only month two so I will give it a little more time. I did read side effects subside after a few months. My spotting is sporadic now instead of daily. My first period was very short and light."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

"I have had the Skyla IUD in me since October 2014. The insertion wasnt so bad, cramps for a day. Birth control pills were not agreeing with my body and surprisingly Skyla has been the best option for me. During the first two months I had constant spotting and mood swings. So far I have had no new side effects. I do spot a little bit during days my periods are supposed to arrive (which, isnt that often. Maybe like once per 4 months or more) and if I sit in a funny position sometimes i can feel the IUD poke me. My boyfriend and I do not use condoms anymore, and felt no need for them. I havent had any pregnancy scares at all. Definitely recommend for younger girls who have never had children, and dont plan to have any for the next while"

notbel April 29, 2015

"I've had Skyla for about 4 months now and it's GREAT. I can't lie... insertion KILLED. I was not on my period and the I was unable to take the medication that my Dr. prescribed to soften my cervix in time, as there were some scheduling issues. So for me, it was very painful. The cramps lasted only a day or two more, and then they only came periodically after that. The reason I initially got Skyla was because the mini-pills I was on previously were making me absolutely crazy, with severe anxiety and basically depression every single day. My Dr. suggested Skyla because the hormones tend to remain localized, and I cannot tell you how much better I feel with it. Furthermore, I'm not pregnant even with lots of unprotected sex."

pcos4020 April 26, 2015

"Overall, I've had an amazing experience with this so far. It's been effective and I haven't experienced any body changes like I did with the pill. Insertion was uncomfortable and the cramping lasted for the rest of that day (worst cramps I've ever had). Bled a lot in the first 3 weeks, now I just occasionally spot throughout the month (I've had it in for 2 months now). I highly recommend."

AmethystRose April 21, 2015

"I had the Skyla insertion after being on the pill and absolutely hated the hormones. I had it inserted about 8 months ago. Insertion was a bit uncomfortable but nothing unbearable. Cramps were mild for a few days and some bleeding. I have had few side-effects. I gained around 6 pounds which sucked but I'll take it over baby weight. My boyfriend nor I can feel it during sex. I don't get a period anymore it seems which is pretty great, at first it got lighter and lighter and then just went away. It's worry free and lasts 4 years. Definitely getting it done again when the 4 years is up."

Deedee1234567899876 April 20, 2015

"I was on the Depo shot for 3 years and was fed up with feeling hungry all the time so i decided to go with Skyla, my first IUD. Insertion was not the most comfortable feeling, cramps. I have two children and it wasn't anywhere near the pain of labor. I had cramping for several days afterwards and that went away. I got Skyla put in last December and I haven't experienced any side effects. My period had stopped when I was on the Depo and I still haven't gotten it while being on Skyla. It's really nice to not have to worry about birth control. Only thing I do is check every 2 weeks to make sure I can still feel the strings"

Hollyt April 11, 2015

"I had my skull IUD places in October of 2014. The procedure was quick, just under 10 minutes. I took 800mg of ibuprofen before it to offset the cramping. It was 3 cramps. the last one being the worst but nothing I couldn't handle. I used to get horrible periods, 7days of bleeding and cramping requiring 800mg of ibuprofen around the clock. The first two months with he skyla I experienced cramping and bleeding just about everyday. At the end of month 2 the bleeding and cramping subsided. I haven't gained weight, don't feel out of emotional control and haven't had a period since! I love this. The only reason for a 9/10 is I believe I may have developed slightly more acne. It's hard to tell since I had acne before though. Still so happy!"

IzzyRN (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2015

"I had skyla placed Dec of 2014. The placement wasn't too painful but the cramping afterward was pretty rough. I had spotting on and off for 2 months which is normal. Then the bleeding stopped all together and I had no period or anything. However, One morning I experienced severe lower abdominal pain and went to the ER. Turns out I had two cyst, and one had burst (never had a history of cysts before the IUD) and also had an ectopic (or tubal) pregnancy. I had to have the IUD removed immediately and ended up having laparoscopic surgery. Needless to say, getting Skyla was definitely not the right choice for me..."

S12 March 29, 2015

"I got Skyla in December 2014 and so far have had a great experience. I am an extremely busy 20 year-old college student, with previous negative experiences with the Pill, and Skyla has been perfect. The insertion was quite painful and I had cramps for a few days and then spotting for about a month afterwards, but since then my periods have been getting lighter and seemingly a bit farther apart. My partner is a bit of a worrier so having something that's close to 100% effective has been a real load off his mind, and since we both got tested we don't have to use condoms anymore. ;) Not having to worry about birth control anymore has been fantastic. I would recommend Skyla to anyone looking for a low-maintenance form of birth control."

whereswalden (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2015

"Got it November of 2014. Spotted for at least 3 months but now I'm not bleeding at all not even a period. Seems great ."

r_r_b_a. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 19, 2015

"I just got it today so I can only review the insertion itself. I took one 800mg Ibuprofen and a natural cramp reliever called Cyclease, which I got from a health foods store, 30 minutes prior to my appointment. I was nervous, but the whole procedure took only about 5 minutes total, with 2 minutes of distinct discomfort and 3 severe cramping moments that lasted about 10-15 seconds each and caused me to grit my teeth, but nothing else. The doctor did not numb my cervix beforehand. I have not had any pain or cramping for the rest of the day. I do not have kids and am pleased with the small size of this IUD. I am hoping that the side effects effects are not severe and that I can continue to use this method of birth control long term."

MDKMDK March 19, 2015

"Skyla is great at prevent pregnancy however the insertion was extremely painful - worst cramps I have felt. They lasted a couple days, but it was manageable. However, I've been on this for 8 months and have been on my period non-stop. 8 months of having a period. The bleeding isn't serious, but enough to wear a tampon. I am planning to have this removed."

Dana r March 12, 2015

"I got the Skyla put in. Procedure was very similar to what I had read in all the reviews online. Felt like some severe period cramping, but nothing that was unbearable! I had waves of cramping throughout the rest of the day, took a little nap, but was able to go grocery shopping and even went out in the evening with no problem. Felt mild cramping throughout the week. Have been comfortable with it since! Neither I nor boyfriend can feel it during sex. Completely covered by insurance. Worry-free birth control. "

Nananananananana (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2015

"I have had my skyla for approx 1.5 months, so far I am in love with it. Not only am I sparing myself a costly month expense, but it was completely covered under the affordable care act, including the follow up appointment to insure everything was as it should be. The insertion was quite painful for me, both on the day of the procedure & the following week. I got mine inserted with out being on my cycle, which to my understanding is more difficult & painful. But I also think it gave me an advantage,I had no spotting or anything except the cramps for over a week.After that I had a bit of spotting, but not too bad.I got my first period, which was delayed by about 2weeks, I'm not going to lie about it,it was pretty excruitating,always has been."

molliehatchet February 25, 2015

"I have been on Skyla since October 23, 2014. It was an awful day of cramps the day I got it put in. And I am used to cramps, but those cramps were awful. My period had just ended but it started back up again once I got it inserted. My period seemed to last longer once I got the IUD but only a couple days. And that only seemed to last for a few months. They're regular now but the God awful cramps continue. I'm having my gynocolegist check it on and had to set up a sonogram. Pain is never normal with an IUD. Also I gained about 10 lbs. my lifestyle changes right before I got on it, but it doesn't seem to matter what I do, the weight stays. But I am not pregnant and other then cramps and weight it's been awesome."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 21, 2015