User Reviews for Apri

Gonadotropin Inhibition 0 reviews 151 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Apri reviews 153 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Apri

Review by Would not reccommend (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Although Apri was very effective in doing its main job, preventing pregnancy, the side effects were very bad. I had perfectly clear skin prior to going on Apri, and about a month after starting I started having very severe break outs. I had noticeable mood swings that were not present before going on Apri. After being on Apri for 5 months, I have now switched to Sprintec which is a pill with a higher dose of estrogen. After being on Sprintec for a month I have noticed my skin clearing slightly and no crying spells before my period. Works better for me and would recommend it over Apri!

March 29, 2014 12:32 PM
Review by Ahmi (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I was put onto Apri because I had horrible cramps and long heavy periods. I took it for about six months, and around the 5 month mark, my longtime boyfriend and I broke up. He told me it was because I was "too emotional" and stressed him out. He was right, before Apri I was always happy and relaxed, but on it. I would lie in bed at night and cry sometimes for no reason at all. I had constant fatigue, frequent headaches, mood-swings, moodiness, and felt depressed a lot of the time. After a conversation with my boyfriend, I realized that we began to argue about the time I got onto Apri. I went to my doctor and told her this and she told me that this was because its high levels of progesterone. I switched and am much better now without Apri.

February 19, 2014 12:01 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Apri was my first ever birth control. The first month I experienced horrible symptoms (breakthrough bleeding for 30 days straight, bloating, cravings, nose bleeds, and vaginal odor) I contemplated getting off of it altogether but after the 30days I returned back to normal and it has been great since then! Everyone's body is different so this was just MY personal experience. I was taking it in preparation to consummate my marriage and I would suggest to any other women working on a timeline to start it waaaaay in advance so as to avoid and prepare for any changes to your cycle time and bodys adjustment.

January 16, 2014 1:07 PM
Review by allygirl13: User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Not really impressed with this. Ortho-Cyclen was much better for me. I have been on it for 9 months and at first it was ok but after a while I would get painful, heavy periods the first day, backaches during period, breasts hurt all the time, and no sex drive whatsoever. Will be coming off of this soon.

January 9, 2014 2:57 PM
Review by lms6393 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I took Apri for over 2 years with no side effects. My periods went from extremely heavy for 6-7 days to very light for 3-4 days. My cramps went away, skin cleared up a little bit. Then I switched to Implanon for a month. During that time I bled every single day and broke out horribly all over my chest and back. So I got that removed and went back on Apri. Since then my periods have gone back to normal, I've gone up 2 cup sizes in the last 8 months, but I have been experiencing some very mild nausea and lightheadedness. I love it overall.

December 23, 2013 4:18 PM
Review by jenatoller: User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Apri was prescribed to me as my first birth control pill to use..ever. I have been taking them for a month so far. Before Apri, I had been experiencing very tender breasts, break outs, and constant food cravings before my period would start. My period was also very irregular. After taking Apri, my breasts no longer become painfully tender before my period (period flow is the same but shorter 3-5 days when it used to be 5-8 days). I do not get moody, rather it has not affected my mood at all. I've noticed my breasts getting bigger. No weight loss or gain so far. I have the same appetite but I seem to become fuller sooner.

December 8, 2013 8:56 AM
Review by jackienld (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I decided to give Apri a 10/10 score because I've been on this pill for 11 months now and had absolutely no issues with it. As for clearing acne, my acne was already starting to fade away before taking the pill so I haven't had too many issues. I still break out sometimes before my period is due. My boyfriend and I have not used any back up method of birth control and I haven't gotten pregnant...so I suppose it's doing its job. But of course, I realize we still SHOULD be using a back up method. Before getting on this pill, I used to have horrible cramping and very heavy periods, lasting as long as 10 days. Now I have short, pain-free periods that last usually from Thursday to Saturday (or very light on Sunday when I begin my new pack.)

November 14, 2013 3:26 PM
Review by Hayrodgers555: User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been taking Apri for 5 months now in hopes to clear my acne. There has been zero improvement! Although everything else about Apri is positive. No weight gain

November 10, 2013 9:37 PM
Review by my experience (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I started taking Apri, because my periods became irregular. I took it for 10 days. I felt horrible my mind felt cloudy. I couldn't remember where I was 15 minutes later. It was the 2nd time in my life that I took birth control. I am 37 and I break out like I was 17. I would have liked to stay on it, but I could not deal with my symptoms.

October 26, 2013 10:26 PM
Review by mana27: User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have been on apri for a year and was recently put on another then forced back do to a recall, I was so sad to be put back on apri. While off for 2 months, my weight had gone down, and sex drive went back to normal, and I head energy again. now back on for not even a month and everything is getting messed up again. It's not the pills fault, but you may notice weight gain, feel sluggish, and a lower sex drive if your body reacts to this the same way I do. :( it's time to figure out something else.... My body and relationship can't go thu this again.

October 25, 2013 9:08 AM
Review by alexandra..: User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I was on this birth control for a month and a half. I experienced terrible bloating. I've been thin my whole life, always very active and able to eat whatever I wanted. With this pill, I constantly felt tired and had to monitor what I ate so I didn't gain weight (I gained about 5 pounds, still working out although not as intense as before due to being tired, BUT I was eating less!) Also, this pill affected my mood a lot- it was a subtle change, but then a month and a half later I realized I never had the energy to do anything. I was sad quite often. My acne didn't improve at all, if anything it made it worse. Breast were tender. But, no decrease in sex drive and did prevent pregnancy.

October 20, 2013 10:43 AM
Review by SamanthaAshley (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have recently switched to Apri28 from having tried a handful before it. I have been on Yasmin for the past 3 and a half years. Nothing really affected me except that I felt I was getting really moody and would snap for no reason, and I was always a happy person before. So naturally, I wanted a change. I waited a month after coming off of it and my back and forehead started to break out which I NEVER had, even before Yasmin so I started taking Apri right away. Honestly, it took a couple weeks for my body to adjust but I am clear once again, I feel like myself FINALLY! And I haven't had any problems. My left leg was a little tingly at times after a week or two, but that is gone.. even after only 2 months I know it was a good choice for me.

September 7, 2013 10:29 PM
Review by Ccccc1234cc: User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have been taking this pill for several years. My periods went from being extremely heavy for unhealthy lengths of time which occurred frequently (heavy 2-4 week periods every 2 weeks or so) to having regular periods all around. They only last for 4 days and are much lighter compared to what i was experiencing before but are still slightly heavy. It has cleared my acne almost completely but my cup size has gone from a D to a DDD (I am not a big girl so this was quite extreme and I would say the only side effect that has bothered me. I experience no pain though). Weight gain is A LOT easier but like anything it can be controlled with extra effort. I am quite happy for the most part.

August 29, 2013 1:27 AM
Review by Christies (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I am thrilled with Apri! I decided to try birth control again because of terrible pelvic pain probably due to my polycystic ovarian syndrome. Since starting Apri the pain is gone, completely! I was to the point where I was going to opt for laparoscopy just to find a reason and hopefully a cure for the pain but my doctor convinced me to give this a try and I'm glad I did! Another bonus is that it helps with my depression and daily fatigue which was something I wasn't expecting. Add in the fact that I can take the active pills for multiple months straight means I'm feeling a thousand times more energetic than I did before Apri. But when I do switch to the white placebo pills I feel awful again for that week. Light periods too! Works for me.

August 21, 2013 9:09 PM
Review by Holls: User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been on Apri for about 2 weeks now. The only side effect I've noticed has been waking up at night or falling asleep at night extremely nauseous, but I assume that's normal because my body is adjusting to the pill. Also, for just being two week I've noticed my boobs are getting somewhat bigger. I'm not complaining though. Lets see how the next couple of months go.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 16, 2013 1:24 PM
Review by s0ngBird: User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have been on this birth control for almost 10 years. It has cleared up my acne, made my periods lighter, and my breasts went from a size B to a size C. The only negative effect is that it may have made my eyes even drier than they already are. When I tried to stop using Apri, just to see how my body would react because I didn't want to be taking medicine for no reason, all my acne on my face came back and I even had acne on my chest and my back, which I had never had before. I am kind of afraid to ever stop taking it for that reason.

August 1, 2013 2:30 PM
Review by decader (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I have been on Apri for about 12 years now. I have nothing but good things to say about it. I have gained weight in the last year, I wasn't sure if it was caused by the birth control, so I went off of it for about 6 months. Nothing changed, it's obviously just my diet and lack of exercise. My OBGYN said that being on this pill has significantly reduced my risk of breast cancer, and I have much more regular periods and less cramping.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 30, 2013 4:56 PM
Review by jurn (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I guess it does what it's supposed to, prevents pregnancy! I have been on it for 2 months and the weight gain in my belly is ridiculous! I've gained 5 pounds. My mood is all whacked out. I plan on quitting.

July 14, 2013 9:26 AM
Review by Allie W: User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I've been on April for about three years now and it has been great. I've never had any problems with it...it regulated my period and also kept it really light. The only thing I've noticed is that it made me gain a few pounds. Other than that, it's worked well. The best part...I'm not pregnant. It has kept my acne under control as well. Overall it has a few side effects but I recommend it.

July 13, 2013 2:01 PM
Review by Amber31322:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: It cleared my oily skin and acne, but my hunger was out of control and my mood swings were awful. I had no desire at all for sex anymore and that can really put a damper on a new marriage.

July 7, 2013 1:24 AM
Review by eai36 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: Apri was the very first birth control pill prescribed to me. My skin cleared up to the point of being a little dry and my periods were light and regular. However, I started passing large clots during the placebo week, which were very painful. I also gained about 5-7 pounds and I could have been imagining it, but I thought my legs started feeling funny at night. I stopped taking this pill after 4 months and am now on a different brand I am very happy with.

June 2, 2013 8:16 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol): Loved this pill and experienced no side effects until after taking it for about 4 months. My sex drive has been ZERO and have had horrible dryness which was never an issue at all for me until after taking the pill. Talked to my doctor and apparently this is very common on this pill. It has started to interfere with my relationship so I will be switching.

May 17, 2013 10:01 AM
Review by cyberlily4: User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: I'm glad to have read these reviews, because now I know why I'm hungry all the time! I think about food all the time. I have never been that way. I'm a healthy eater and gym junkie. So, I have gained weight, lost any sex drive (but I'm not active anyway), and am a little irritable. But besides that, I have no other problems. I'm using it for surrogacy, so they have me on my second pack in a row to skip my period which worked perfectly. The last pill did not stop it. Why cant I be one of the people who have lost weight on it?

May 16, 2013 12:32 PM
Review by Love Elle: User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: My experience with Apri has been great. I have been on it for about 5 years now. I do not get any of the side effects - no headaches, mood swings, weight gain, etc. I was recommended by 2 doctors to take 4 x 21 packs of Apri in a row, totaling to 3 months of birth control then stopping for a week to get my period. So this means that you only get your periods 4 times a year. This causes no health risks at all (unless you take it longer than 3 months in a row) and I have been doing this for 3 years with no side effects at all. I have spoken to 4 doctors about this and none of them disagreed with this method. I was told to try it and if it worked for me to definitely keep doing it. *May not be for everyone so please consult your doctor first*.

May 14, 2013 3:34 PM
Review by ______: User Rating:

Apri (desogestrel / ethinyl estradiol) for Birth Control: This birth control pill is awesome. It made my periods even lighter than they were before, I get no pimples, I've lost 15 pounds, my breasts went from a B to a D, and emotionally I feel the same as I did before it. I would highly recommend it.

April 7, 2013 5:51 PM