User Reviews for Cyproheptadine

Also known as: Periactin

Learn more about Cyproheptadine.

Cyproheptadine review summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 87 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Cyproheptadine to treat Migraine

Review by Birddog44:

Periactin (cyproheptadine): My 4 year old was diagnosed with migraines (3-4 per month with vomiting and other symptoms). Given Periactin. Has had quite an increase in appetite and thus weight gain. It's difficult as a parent to balance the weight gain and social issues with that. Will try going off Periactin in summer per Neurologist. Hopefully the migraines will stay away and she will be able to lose some of the weight.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2014 11:46 AM

Review by Poorlittlemigrainegirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Periactin (cyproheptadine): My neurologist put me on 4x4mg Periactin at night as a preventative for chronic migraine. I was aware of the weight gain possibility & started running & yoga. I slowly gained 5kg in 5 months. Upon noticing this, I tried even harder. With time & dedication, I was able to exercise & eat my way back down to my normal skinny weight. When I'm hit with a carb craving (which is pretty often) I eat 30mg of a healthy carb (such as a 2 inch chunk of carrot). It satisfies perfectly as long as you havent consumed a protein in the last 2 hrs. Do not turn to fatty carbs. The drowsiness also wore off in the first week. I am the healthiest & best version of myself, thanks to migraines. Choose not to be a victim. I now run charity marathons & have kept my career.

April 5, 2014 7:43 PM

Review by rooroomama (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Periactin (cyproheptadine): My child was diagnosed with cluster migraines when he was only 3.5 yrs old. This is very unusual. We refused to put him on anti-seizure medicines, which the Dr. said has the side effect of helping migraines. Instead we opted for Cyproheptadine and it has worked wonders and improved his quality of life by 100 fold. Yes, have to watch that weight gain but otherwise it has been a miracle.

December 29, 2013 10:30 AM

Review by Liza_S:

Periactin (cyproheptadine): I was prescribed 4 mg 3x a day. I asked my PCP for a prescription for this after doing some research myself. I never did see clear dosage guidelines so my Dr put me on the dose for allergies because use for migraines its off lable. I started it at 4 mg at night and had to go home sick (sleepy) from work the next day! So be very cautious when starting this medicine. I then started taking only 2mg each night and it has worked wonderfully. I had a migraine everyday for about 6 months before trying this and now not one for Months. I feel like I have my life back.

July 26, 2013 2:23 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been taking this since I was about seven years old to fight off the migraines I was experiencing, almost daily, that would send me home from school. My doctor prescribed this to me, and almost 10 years later my migraines are practically gone. Now and again I'll feel the sensation of a headache coming on, and I still take it to fend them off. The only thing is it causes me to become drowsy, and often puts me to sleep sometimes. I've learned to take it after my meals in the evenings because of this, so I'll wake up refreshed in the morning.

May 26, 2013 9:59 PM

Review by Reads Labels etc. (taken for less than 1 month):

Periactin (cyproheptadine): Cautiously wanted to try at low dose first. However, first time I needed it, I happened to be at migraine treatment center (at a hospital). We agreed this was the safest circumstances to try something new. Within a half-hour, I pressed nurse call-button: had trouble keeping my eyes open! Minutes later: unintended sleep. Dosage too high &/or interaction with recent dose of Toradol? (Toradol makes me sleep a few *hours* later - which is why I was at hospital.) Have not yet tried it again. Would try 1/4 of dose next time - & not near time frame of Toradol - & not when alone. No other side-effects. No way to judge effectiveness. Primary goal if first trial is "can I tolerate this?" Second trial is to find out if dose is enough for effectiveness.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 22, 2013 4:46 PM

Review by Jeaneem (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My 7 year old son has had these severe headaches, now believed to be migraines, since he was 3. With time the headaches have become almost daily. One month to the day. My son has had only 1 headache!! He has gained weight though, which for him was ok because he was so so skinny.

December 6, 2012 4:43 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Periactin (cyproheptadine): I have a awful case of migraines therefore my doctor prescribed me Periactin. I noticed a mood change and a huge weight gain of 40lbs within 2 months. It stopped working for my migraines after a week and then was prescribed Topamax.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 28, 2012 11:30 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Periactin (cyproheptadine): Stopped 95% of my migraines. I found my migraines were related to allergies to egg and dairy - I think a lot of people don't check for this. Anyway, Periactin has been amazing, can make you a bit hungry at night but who cares. Try it if your Dr says it's for you.

June 16, 2012 3:00 AM

Periactin (cyproheptadine): I was pregnant, I had to stop taking Relpax (at 2 x a month) for migraines and I made notes and found I had horrible pain 20 out of 30 days in the month. For 2 months I suffered and my ob referred me to my neuro who referred to my ob and no one would help me. A new neuro put me on Periactin 4mg once a day. I started it on -I think day 2 of what usually is a 3 day migraine and it stopped. I had only a faint sensation of a headache.

April 9, 2012 11:16 AM

Tried this for my six year old son for migraines. Reduced the migraines almost in half, then we doubled those dose. It than caused restlessness, he went four days without sleeping. We have now gone back to the first dosage and are thinking about stopping it altogether.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 15, 2011 10:24 PM

Periactin (cyproheptadine): I was prescribed Periactin to help contain severe migraines and have found it very effective. After taking two tablets a day for a week, I thought that maybe my migraines had been cured and stopped taking them- unfortunately, my headache came back within about 1 and a half days. I am now taking regular doses again and have not had a single headache to complain of, however the increased appetite is an unfortunate side effect.

October 24, 2010 8:07 AM

Periactin (cyproheptadine): Periactin helps control my migraines which are almost daily. I would probably do better if I were able to remember to take it 4 times a day instead of morning and evening.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2009 9:38 PM

Periactin (cyproheptadine): This medication has virtually eliminated my 12 year old son's (almost daily) migraine headaches. He has had no significant side effects and it has greatly increased his quality of life and ability to succeed in school.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2009 5:58 PM