User Reviews for Verapamil

Also known as: Calan, Calan SR, Covera-HS, Isoptin, Isoptin IV, Isoptin SR, Verelan, Verelan PM

Learn more about Verapamil.

Cluster Headaches 32 reviews 34 medications

Migraine Prevention 25 reviews 32 medications

7.3
Arrhythmia 5 reviews 42 medications

Bipolar Disorder 0 reviews 46 medications Not rated - Be the first
Idiopathic Hypertrop...baortic Stenosis 0 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Verapamil reviews 74 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Verapamil

For Migraine Prevention: "This drug actually added on to my problems with my migraines. I became so dizzy, sweat nonstop, and can't seem to find a good night of sleep since being on this medicine."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "Prescribed for high blood pressure. I have heart disease and cluster headaches, back problems. Did not know verapamil was prescribed for cluster headache. Sometime my headaches are in one spot, other times all over. Pray for me."

nubben (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "This medicine was a lifesaver for me. I no longer experience migraines or headaches and can function as a regular human being and I feel like I have a new lease on life. I was getting 3-5 migraines a week and now I am not getting any."

Tasha Anderson (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "My girlfriend asked me if I love her more than anything. I told her that I do love her more than anything but my verapamil!"

var #1 April 6, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "This is my second time trying verapamil. Neither time was effective. Side effects were unacceptable (leg pain, increased dizziness, non migraine headaches)."

migraine patient (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "Life saving..10 yrs of dealing with Cluster Migraines then with research on my own and A understanding Dr. Willing to write the prescription..I am now able to function with a normal life. Within 7 days of starting 80 ms x 3 daily no more clusters...Zero !!!! Been on meds 4 months. Excited to enjoy life again!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2015

Calan SR (verapamil) for Nocturnal Leg Cramps: "for several years I had SEVERE night time leg cramps. They got so bad that the veins in my legs would bulge out of my skin from my toes to my groin area. I would be unable to walk so my husband would help me to the tub where he would have it filled with the hottest water I could tolerate, which really helped a lot, and I would take 2 OTC leg cramp pills. But the veins popping ou got so severe my husband took me to the Dr. (Again!) and we explained about the veins popping out. He sat there for a moment and then like a light bulb came on he said " Let's try something. I'm going to put you on a channel blocker and let's see if that helps." That was 2 years ago and I no longer get leg cramps where the veins are popping out!"

Gramma Beev (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "Verapamil has transformed my life. I have lived with cluster headaches for 15 years now. The other medicine I can highly recommend is Sumatriptan succinate injections. Self administer via pen injector. During a headache the pain relief these bring me is euphoric, as they seem to switch off the pain within 20-30 seconds."

MisterTee (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 27, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Helps control my blood pressure with no noticeable side effects at the 240mg/day dosage."

mch999 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "Was diagnosed with cluster headaches approximately 6 years ago in Canada. Took prednisone to end a couple of cycles, but decided to try verapamil. It works, but I must stress that you must stop drinking any alcohol whatsoever - NONE, don't even smell the bottle (no kidding!) Also, for me, other sure triggers include dark chocolate, white chocolate, but small quantities of milk chocolate are OK. Also, stay away from MSG (monosodium glutamate). Verapamil WILL work, but you have to stay away from triggers to give it a chance! It might take a week or two. I also had to spread it out to 3 times in a day, rather than all in one dose for it to block all headaches at first. Now I'm on 2x120mg and headache-free!"

anubis44 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "I was diagnosed with cluster headaches 5 years ago, I have them everyday, I take 480mg of verapamil daily, oxygen, Maxalt wafer, Aspalgen, oxygen, morphine injections. Nothing is helping me so far, my dr is now trialling me on Topamax. I hope this works. My heart goes out to us all that live with this condition. You are not alone."

Anonymous January 19, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "Was diagnosed with chronic Cluster Headaches at the age of 18, was finally put on verapamil and as long as I stick to the schedule of 2x240mg verapamil SR daily (one in morning, one at night) I have gone from 3-5 severe headaches a day to 1 or 2 less severe headaches per week! This medicine makes my life tolerable and livable again. It really is an amazing medicine, I often can't believe how effective it is and I really fear that it might stop working for me one day but 3 years in and still OK."

Omnious58 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 8, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "I was prescribed Verapamil a few years ago. I was suffering from uncontrollable cluster headaches and no other medication seemed effective. Once started on Verapamil, using it as a prophylactic medicine against the onset of a cluster headaches, I didn't get any more cluster headaches. This is a wonder medicine to me!"

Ms67GTO (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 7, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "I have suffered for three years, at my whits end I too did my own research and after two weeks I am pain free. The bad attacks stopped instantly and the minor ones subsided after about day 7. I feel like I have my life back. I was exhausted for the first week until my body adjusted...but push through people....this medicine saved my life. I can even enjoy a glass of wine now and again!"

DavidfromVanisland December 10, 2014

For Cluster Headaches: "I am 29 been suffering since I was 15. I was Diagnosed with chronic cluster headaches until I was about 24. Dr currently has me on verapamil 240mg 2x daily. I've been on for approx 18 months after trying other various methods and well it Works EXCELLENT. I have 1 serious side effect..."I lost my mojo baby" no but for real being 29 and having zero sex drive and impotence problems with my current girlfriend is becoming an issue. I have tried to taper off verapamil but 2-3 days later the headaches come back. Verapamil is the only medication that has worked for me. I am not sure what I should do. Sex vs Clusters. Sad to say but I'd rather not have the headaches."

CJs01125 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 10, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: "I began having nasty migraines mid November 2013. I got some relief from a pill I started to take in February 2014. By March my migraines were back. I suffered through the migraines until September 2014. I had to change doctors because mine retired. I mentioned my problems with migraines. I met with a nurse practitioner who went through all the usual stuff. I told her that I once had a pill that worked. She asked if I wanted to try it again. I said I did. At the end of the meeting I asked her if I could actually try something different. She prescribed Verapimil. THANK GOD. Three days later my migraines were gone. I'm not sure what I would have done without it."

Gary Ped December 8, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "Been on 240mg once a day for about 4 years had good results. They changed from a solid to a time released capsule. Results are not good now. Not sure why. May have to change meds"

Uiuuuuuuut December 5, 2014

For Cluster Headaches: "My fiancé started with cluster headaches about six years ago. At first he was misdiagnosed by two doctors. We had to relocate due to work and found the best neurologist at Hershey Medical. He was diagnosed within seconds as having cluster headaches. It was explained that these headaches are usually misdiagnosed. The doctor put him on verapamil 120 ER and sumatriptan nasal along with oxygen. We had to increase to 180 but my fiancé has finally began to live a more normal life. He still gets the episodes but we are learning to adjust his meds as needed. THANK GOD AND HERSHEY MEDICAL"

Suffered too long (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 18, 2014

For Cluster Headaches: "I have had chronic cluster headaches for the past 6 years. My doctor tried all the usual meds to no avail. I did my own research and told him about trying Verapamil. I am now cluster-free for the past 7 months! Yes there are side effects (weight gain, sore neck for a couple weeks) but being that I was able to break the cycle at the lowest dosage (80mg 3x/day) I am beyond thrilled!"

Sala (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 5, 2014

For Cluster Headaches: "Only have 2 doses in right now. Its throwing me outta whack but I sure don't feel any worse than I usually do. Can't wait till I'm pain free."

jamieg75 October 1, 2014

For Cluster Headaches: "I have suffered from episodic cluster headaches for almost 50 years. 25 years ago, my doctor prescribed 240mg ER verapamil twice a day as a preventative when an episode began. Excellent results...no headaches unless I drank alcohol or ate chocolate. After about 8 weeks, my episode would be over and I stopped taking the verapamil. Another episode would occur in one to two years, 30 months max. After switching primary care doctors, my new doc suggested taking 240mg slow release verapamil every day to reduce my blood pressure and maybe act as a deterrent to the clusters. It worked...it has now been four years and no recurrence of the headaches. I only hope this goes on forever. My deepest sympathy goes out to anyone who has cluster headaches."

Grafwick (taken for 10 years or more) August 26, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: "I have suffered with severe migraines since 2008 and had been on so many different medications to try to control them, with many either not working or causing horrible side effects. In 2013 my neurologist finally put me on Verapamil Hydrochloride 240mg and these worked for a while but I actually found that I was still getting migraines and eye pain, So we cut it down to 120mg and 50mg of armitriplyline and again I found the pain was still there. I then stopped taking the amitriptyline and only took verapamil 120mg. I have not looked back since as verapamil has been amazing and haven't had a migraine at all (unless I forget to take my tablet) Obviously it is different for everyone, But this has been my God send!"

Anonymous August 4, 2014

For Cluster Headaches: "Began episodic cluster headaches 15 years ago at age 49. 5 years later they became chronic. Suffered terribly for a few years until I was prescribed verapamil 80MG tabs with dose up to 240MG 3X/day. I continually self regulate my dosage to the minimum effective dose; increasing (up to the maximum) when clusters try to break through then slowly cutting back to whatever keeps the clusters away. My normal maintenance dose is about 120MG to 160MG 3X/day. When I have my dose right I get ZERO indication of headaches, not even a hint. I have had no side effects with any dosage of verapamil daily for 9 years but wonder if occasional dizziness may be attributable to the verapamil. Neither slow release verapamil nor Imitrex worked for me."

Anonymous July 29, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been prescribed verapamil for vestibular migraines that I have had for the last 8 weeks with the only symptons being tiredness and disequilibrium. I am still in my first week of taking it (4 days) and have found it great. I has cleared the lethargy and tiredness and my disequilibrium has improved substantially. The only side effects I have had is slight dizziness if I move too fast or get up too quickly from sitting and my feet have been feeling a little swollen at night but nothing major. I am a 45 year old male and normally very fit and take 90mg of verapamil each day for a month followed by 180mg in the second month."

kiwiinoz27 (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: "I have only been taking verapamil for less than 2 months. It took 2 weeks before I got relief from my chronic migraines. It was a wonderful feeling until my ankles started to swell and had intense pain in my feet, legs and hands. I just started to wean myself off of this med and already have relief from the swelling ankles and pain. So back to the Doc to see what else she can offer. I hate taking meds and think I will try a chiropractor and see what they can do for my migraines."

hey jude (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2014