User Reviews for Verapamil

Also known as: Calan, Calan SR, Covera-HS, Isoptin, Isoptin IV, Isoptin SR, Verelan, Verelan PM

Learn more about Verapamil.

Cluster Headaches 39 reviews 35 medications

7.3
Arrhythmia 5 reviews 43 medications

Summary of Verapamil reviews 93 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Verapamil

For Cluster Headaches: "I've been experiencing Chronic Cluster Headaches since 2005. I had no idea what was going on, and suffered for 3 years untreated and undiagnosed. After some internet sleuthing I was able to tell my doc what was going on. Fast forward to 2016. I take verapamil 180mg er twice a day. This treatment has worked almost without fail, until just recently. In the past I have had to take other meds in combination with the verapamil such as... Topamax, imatrex, magnesium, prednizone, and now lithium. None of these work for me, been having daily headaches again. I now have a sumatriptan injection I take when I feel one coming and it stops it within 10 minutes. I need help, please. "

KY Dan April 24, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I was diagnosed with chronic migraine at 18 yrs old and put on topamax which helped until recently. I am 23 now and was in a car accident several months ago started having vertigo, dizzy spells before a migraine, and almost everyday is a headache day. I went to a new neuro who started me on 120 mg verapamil, increased to 180 mg,then 240 mg at 240 mg the side effects were too much and am back to 180mg daily. It has def helped reduce vertigo. I still get some dizziness and lightheadedness every now and then. The migraines ate still almost every day. Waking up with a headache and going to sleep with a migraine many days."

Anonymous March 19, 2016

For Cluster Headaches: "Been having cluster headaches for twelve years. I'm on my forth cycle now. My cycles come about every three years. I tell everybody I know cluster headaches are sooooo painful. Im so blessed to have been prescribed verapamil by the first doctor that was seen by. Verapamil usaully takes 10-14 days to fully work. Im so thankful for all the advice and its good to hear from people understand my pain."

Couther March 6, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "This medication has improved my life so much. When I started taking it I was 17 and struggling to juggle friends, school and three migranes a week (which if been experiencing since I was twelve). I am now 20, in university, have loads of friends and only about 3 migranes a month. This might still seem like a lot, but to me this is bliss compared to how I spent most of my teenage years. Verapamil was a last resort my neurologist put me on after trying everything else, nobody expected it to work. It was (and still is) amazing. I have hardly any side effects, which is strange since I had a lot of horrible reactions to the other medications I tried before. Verapamil was my miracle drug, not sure how much longer I could've gone on as I was."

3aweekto3amonth February 21, 2016

For Cluster Headaches: "This drug has been a life saver I've managed to keep cycle at bay using 240mg although now have increased to 480mg as had few creeping in. There are side effects but what could be worse than the pain of cluster headaches!! Hugely recommend to sufferers."

Jonas22 February 4, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "Works very well."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 20, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "Doesn't work! I still have migraines at least 3 to 4 times a week and have to take Excedrin Migraine to get rid of them."

RettaG (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been having daily migraines with aura for many years. I tried different things until I was prescribed calcium channel blockers.I tried first amilodipine with encouraging results at first, but then having severe side effects. So switched to verapamil, where the positive impact on the migraines is a bit less pronounced, but I am practically free of side effects. it didn't solve my problem, but I can feel a significant improvement."

avalokiteshwara (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "To me this is a wonder drug, my migraines were driving me crazy it was the most uncomfortable experience. I was told by my neurologist that I have cluster migraines and suffered with it for about 6 years and he put my on 40mg of Verapmil twice a day. I can now live freely, if I get migraines now they are very weak and I can go about my day normally."

Naj January 9, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I had chronic headaches and migraines and had all the tests MRI/CAT scan to try to determine cause - everything normal. Final resort was Verapamil and I was instantly pain free - as long as I take the lowest dose - am actually taking 1/2 pill of the smallest dose - extended release - and it works for me - but if I stop taking it - the headaches are back within two days."

vihenry December 16, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "I'm a 56 year old male and started having CH at age 18. Treatment is different for men than women as to what works best. I've had the best success with a neuro who fought to get my insurance to approve Oxygen. Breathing 10 milliliters per minute through a mask at the onset of the CH while lying down in the dark breathing slowly in through the nose has worked everytime and without all the side effects of prednisolone, Verapamil and the like. Essential Oils Peppermint rubbed on the temples and back of the neck which for me is the first indication of an onset has proven effective too. Guys are expected to grow out of it in our fifties. I'm still hoping that happens as nobody truly understands the severity of this type of pain."

mstrass (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 10, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "40mg per day is normally considered a very low dose but is all that I need to prevent migraines. I tried just about everything else for years until I got on to Verapamil. To me this is a wonder drug."

go500 December 6, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Verapamil was given to me for migraines in the same week I was placed on ziprasidone. They didn't mix well. Had a horrible reaction heart dysrhythmia and weakened my kidney's. My lesson to all read and know all warnings of all new medications."

Luckybutterfly November 3, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've had migraines for over 30 years and have tried so many things. My doctor started me on Verapamil 240mg 3 weeks ago. I've had no relief. If anything my migraines have been more intense. This was pretty much my last chance as I have tried everything else. I average 12 to 15 migraines a month and am so tired of them. I was so hoping this would work. I'm going to give it a little longer but am getting night sweats and dizziness from it."

KalGal2 (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I was diagnosed at 19. I began having bouts with hemiplegic migraines 10 years ago. While few and far between they were very scary! No one offered medications to control them until now. For a year or better I've had blurred vision in one eye that would come and go with a dull headache. After going to have a vision check my optometrist sent me directly to a neurologist. Something the ER and my family doctor wouldn't do. The aura I get before a migraine has changed and I'm having migraine spasms which is a severe migraine wo the normal pain symptoms. These actually caused my father's strokes at 41 yeas old! The neurologist started me on verapamil 40 mg 3xs a day. Pain free finally! Slight joint pain but worth it!"

NyteSkye October 15, 2015

Verelan (verapamil) for Cluster Headaches: "I take the stuff twice a day (sometimes more, depending) and I find it very effective. It takes a few minutes to kick in so as soon as you feel a CH coming on, pop one. It also works as a preventative for CHs; I take one as soon as I wake up. I also take Rizatriptan, which works crazy good but they only prescribe ten pills per month, so use sparingly."

SweeT17 October 14, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "Im 41 years old and suffer from episodic cluster headaches for the last 3 years. First I thought I had Migraines , but the pain was so severe and it returns every year sane day same time for the last 3 years. I was devastated, and did my own research. I'm now on 3x80 mg Verapimil a day and I'm cluster headache free. I do live in Mexico and Verapimil or Verapimilo is available over the counter for 15. 00 pesos 1.00 us $ for 10 pills 80 mg without prescription. Its amazing I tried the lowest dose first. Thank you Verapimil....."

Matthewernst August 7, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've also been headache free for several years. Took everyday for three years. Saved my life too!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 7, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "Headaches ceased. None in 6 years. No other changes in diet or habits. This drug saved my life, actually close to suicide on several occasions. Not a great blood pressure drug for me, but willing to endure moderate edema for the sake of headache relief. Had a wise and gifted neurologist."

Zukov August 1, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "This drug actually added on to my problems with my migraines. I became so dizzy, sweat nonstop, and can't seem to find a good night of sleep since being on this medicine."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "Prescribed for high blood pressure. I have heart disease and cluster headaches, back problems. Did not know verapamil was prescribed for cluster headache. Sometime my headaches are in one spot, other times all over. Pray for me."

nubben (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "This medicine was a lifesaver for me. I no longer experience migraines or headaches and can function as a regular human being and I feel like I have a new lease on life. I was getting 3-5 migraines a week and now I am not getting any."

Tasha Anderson (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "My girlfriend asked me if I love her more than anything. I told her that I do love her more than anything but my verapamil!"

var #1 April 6, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "This is my second time trying verapamil. Neither time was effective. Side effects were unacceptable (leg pain, increased dizziness, non migraine headaches)."

migraine patient (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "Life saving..10 yrs of dealing with Cluster Migraines then with research on my own and A understanding Dr. Willing to write the prescription..I am now able to function with a normal life. Within 7 days of starting 80 ms x 3 daily no more clusters...Zero !!!! Been on meds 4 months. Excited to enjoy life again!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2015