User Reviews for Verapamil

Also known as: Calan, Calan SR, Covera-HS, Isoptin, Isoptin IV, Isoptin SR, Verelan, Verelan PM

Learn more about Verapamil.

Cluster Headaches 28 reviews 35 medications

High Blood Pressure 7 reviews 262 medications

7.4
Arrhythmia 5 reviews 42 medications

Bipolar Disorder 0 reviews 48 medications Not rated - Be the first
Idiopathic Hypertrop...baortic Stenosis 0 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nocturnal Leg Cramps 0 reviews 25 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Verapamil reviews 66 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Verapamil

Review by MisterTee (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Cluster Headaches: Verapamil has transformed my life. I have lived with cluster headaches for 15 years now. The other medicine I can highly recommend is Sumatriptan succinate injections. Self administer via pen injector. During a headache the pain relief these bring me is euphoric, as they seem to switch off the pain within 20-30 seconds.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 27, 2015 4:53 PM

Review by mch999 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: Helps control my blood pressure with no noticeable side effects at the 240mg/day dosage.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 22, 2015 6:13 PM

For Cluster Headaches: I was diagnosed with cluster headaches 5 years ago, I have them everyday, I take 480mg of verapamil daily, oxygen, Maxalt wafer, Aspalgen, oxygen, morphine injections. Nothing is helping me so far, my dr is now trialling me on Topamax. I hope this works. My heart goes out to us all that live with this condition. You are not alone.

January 19, 2015 4:30 AM

Review by Omnious58 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Cluster Headaches: Was diagnosed with chronic Cluster Headaches at the age of 18, was finally put on verapamil and as long as I stick to the schedule of 2x240mg verapamil SR daily (one in morning, one at night) I have gone from 3-5 severe headaches a day to 1 or 2 less severe headaches per week! This medicine makes my life tolerable and livable again. It really is an amazing medicine, I often can't believe how effective it is and I really fear that it might stop working for me one day but 3 years in and still OK.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2015 8:48 AM

Review by Ms67GTO (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Cluster Headaches: I was prescribed Verapamil a few years ago. I was suffering from uncontrollable cluster headaches and no other medication seemed effective. Once started on Verapamil, using it as a prophylactic medicine against the onset of a cluster headaches, I didn't get any more cluster headaches. This is a wonder medicine to me!

January 7, 2015 6:59 PM

Review by DavidfromVanisland:

For Cluster Headaches: I have suffered for three years, at my whits end I too did my own research and after two weeks I am pain free. The bad attacks stopped instantly and the minor ones subsided after about day 7. I feel like I have my life back. I was exhausted for the first week until my body adjusted...but push through people....this medicine saved my life. I can even enjoy a glass of wine now and again!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2014 9:37 PM

Review by CJs01125 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Cluster Headaches: I am 29 been suffering since I was 15. I was Diagnosed with chronic cluster headaches until I was about 24. Dr currently has me on verapamil 240mg 2x daily. I've been on for approx 18 months after trying other various methods and well it Works EXCELLENT. I have 1 serious side effect..."I lost my mojo baby" no but for real being 29 and having zero sex drive and impotence problems with my current girlfriend is becoming an issue. I have tried to taper off verapamil but 2-3 days later the headaches come back. Verapamil is the only medication that has worked for me. I am not sure what I should do. Sex vs Clusters. Sad to say but I'd rather not have the headaches.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 10, 2014 9:18 PM

Review by Gary Ped:

For Migraine Prevention: I began having nasty migraines mid November 2013. I got some relief from a pill I started to take in February 2014. By March my migraines were back. I suffered through the migraines until September 2014. I had to change doctors because mine retired. I mentioned my problems with migraines. I met with a nurse practitioner who went through all the usual stuff. I told her that I once had a pill that worked. She asked if I wanted to try it again. I said I did. At the end of the meeting I asked her if I could actually try something different. She prescribed Verapimil. THANK GOD. Three days later my migraines were gone. I'm not sure what I would have done without it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2014 1:57 PM

Review by Uiuuuuuuut:

For High Blood Pressure: Been on 240mg once a day for about 4 years had good results. They changed from a solid to a time released capsule. Results are not good now. Not sure why. May have to change meds

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2014 9:36 PM

Review by Suffered too long (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Cluster Headaches: My fiancé started with cluster headaches about six years ago. At first he was misdiagnosed by two doctors. We had to relocate due to work and found the best neurologist at Hershey Medical. He was diagnosed within seconds as having cluster headaches. It was explained that these headaches are usually misdiagnosed. The doctor put him on verapamil 120 ER and sumatriptan nasal along with oxygen. We had to increase to 180 but my fiancé has finally began to live a more normal life. He still gets the episodes but we are learning to adjust his meds as needed. THANK GOD AND HERSHEY MEDICAL

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2014 9:17 PM

Review by Sala (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Cluster Headaches: I have had chronic cluster headaches for the past 6 years. My doctor tried all the usual meds to no avail. I did my own research and told him about trying Verapamil. I am now cluster-free for the past 7 months! Yes there are side effects (weight gain, sore neck for a couple weeks) but being that I was able to break the cycle at the lowest dosage (80mg 3x/day) I am beyond thrilled!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 5, 2014 10:40 AM

Review by jamieg75:

For Cluster Headaches: Only have 2 doses in right now. Its throwing me outta whack but I sure don't feel any worse than I usually do. Can't wait till I'm pain free.

October 1, 2014 1:58 PM

Review by Grafwick (taken for 10 years or more):

For Cluster Headaches: I have suffered from episodic cluster headaches for almost 50 years. 25 years ago, my doctor prescribed 240mg ER verapamil twice a day as a preventative when an episode began. Excellent results...no headaches unless I drank alcohol or ate chocolate. After about 8 weeks, my episode would be over and I stopped taking the verapamil. Another episode would occur in one to two years, 30 months max. After switching primary care doctors, my new doc suggested taking 240mg slow release verapamil every day to reduce my blood pressure and maybe act as a deterrent to the clusters. It worked...it has now been four years and no recurrence of the headaches. I only hope this goes on forever. My deepest sympathy goes out to anyone who has cluster headaches.

August 26, 2014 1:29 PM

For Migraine Prevention: I have suffered with severe migraines since 2008 and had been on so many different medications to try to control them, with many either not working or causing horrible side effects. In 2013 my neurologist finally put me on Verapamil Hydrochloride 240mg and these worked for a while but I actually found that I was still getting migraines and eye pain, So we cut it down to 120mg and 50mg of armitriplyline and again I found the pain was still there. I then stopped taking the amitriptyline and only took verapamil 120mg. I have not looked back since as verapamil has been amazing and haven't had a migraine at all (unless I forget to take my tablet) Obviously it is different for everyone, But this has been my God send!

August 4, 2014 8:22 AM

For Cluster Headaches: Began episodic cluster headaches 15 years ago at age 49. 5 years later they became chronic. Suffered terribly for a few years until I was prescribed verapamil 80MG tabs with dose up to 240MG 3X/day. I continually self regulate my dosage to the minimum effective dose; increasing (up to the maximum) when clusters try to break through then slowly cutting back to whatever keeps the clusters away. My normal maintenance dose is about 120MG to 160MG 3X/day. When I have my dose right I get ZERO indication of headaches, not even a hint. I have had no side effects with any dosage of verapamil daily for 9 years but wonder if occasional dizziness may be attributable to the verapamil. Neither slow release verapamil nor Imitrex worked for me.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2014 5:13 PM

Review by kiwiinoz27 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine Prevention: I have been prescribed verapamil for vestibular migraines that I have had for the last 8 weeks with the only symptons being tiredness and disequilibrium. I am still in my first week of taking it (4 days) and have found it great. I has cleared the lethargy and tiredness and my disequilibrium has improved substantially. The only side effects I have had is slight dizziness if I move too fast or get up too quickly from sitting and my feet have been feeling a little swollen at night but nothing major. I am a 45 year old male and normally very fit and take 90mg of verapamil each day for a month followed by 180mg in the second month.

June 29, 2014 5:38 AM

Review by hey jude (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I have only been taking verapamil for less than 2 months. It took 2 weeks before I got relief from my chronic migraines. It was a wonderful feeling until my ankles started to swell and had intense pain in my feet, legs and hands. I just started to wean myself off of this med and already have relief from the swelling ankles and pain. So back to the Doc to see what else she can offer. I hate taking meds and think I will try a chiropractor and see what they can do for my migraines.

May 27, 2014 8:51 PM

Review by LarryJankowski:

For Migraine Prevention: At age 37 I started feeling dizzy. -Not spinning, just a non-descript dizzy feeling, similar to a bad cigarette buzz. After 40+ doctors, 2 Mayo clinics and 2+ years, I was finally diagnosed with "vestibular migraine" and/or migrainous vertigo. I hesitate to call it vertigo as I was never spinning NOR DID I HAVE ANY HEADACHES! I was started at 40mg Verapamil 2x daily. That helped some. More was better. I worked with several Neuro-Otologists. At some point I was put on Verapamil ER, which I took once daily. -Much easier. I gradually increased the dosage to 400mgs/daily for about a month. I believe that broke the migraine cycle and was able to decrease down to 120mgs/day. I have since increased a bit as life stresses have increased.

January 22, 2014 3:19 AM

Review by Don Pin:

For Cluster Headaches: This medicine is very effective. It did stop my cluster headaches the day after initially taken. However, the side effects (unusual weight gain, sinus pain, constipation, bloating, shortness of breath) have outweighted the benefits. Going to the Dr. tomorrow for alternative therapy.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 13, 2014 7:48 PM

Review by SkiMama (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I am 42 years old. I've dealt with migraines for 9 years. I recently had to stop taking the birth control pill with estrogen due to blood clots. Almost immediately upon discontinuing the pill - my migraines became severe. I had one every day for 3 weeks. I was taking an Imitrex every day (not good). I tried beta blockers and other medicines that had way too many side effects. Then I started taking Verapamil 120 mg ER once a day. It took a couple of weeks for the Verapamil to start working...but it did! The migraines stopped. Verapamil did lower my blood pressure a little and my ankles would sometimes swell. However - it stopped my migraines!

October 11, 2013 6:28 PM

Review by 2young2takeapill (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Calan SR (verapamil) for Arrhythmia: I'm on this medicine for heart arrhythmia. I'm 46, my heart does flip flops and super rapid beats per min. Blood pressure sometimes is 180/110. Then it drops to 96/67, that little roller coaster ride makes you ill. I started the Calan SR 180mg tab. It gives me wicked headache in left lobe & fatigue. It hasn't helped my heart from flip flopping or blood pressure from sky rocketing up then down like a yo-yo. However, it does calm my heart down once I have a spell and I take the meds. I generally fall asleep from fatigue. It could be that I haven't taken it long enough for it to start helping the high blood pressure or the irregular heart beat. Perhaps the second month will show improvement.

August 28, 2013 4:01 PM

Review by MIss Margaret:

Calan SR (verapamil) for Migraine Prevention: I was put on a low dosage in 2002 when I was 37. The benefits were immediate and amazing. I actually looked forward to activities and outings. Unfortunately, after a couple years, the migraines crept back, only less severe, and less frequent. My doctor doubled the dosage, and that helped quite a bit. Now I take 350mg ER, which is the largest amount the doctor will allow. Although my migraines have become quite mild, I feel that the Verapamil has mostly lost its efficacy, and I plan to ask my doctor about gradually stopping the medication. Still, the years of relief it gave me were terrific, and I never hesitate to recommend it.

August 15, 2013 2:17 PM

Review by crosseyedmigraine:

Verelan (verapamil) for Migraine Prevention: Only one migraine in almost 3 months, really helps a lot! and I take it at night, also helps me sleep better.

August 14, 2013 10:24 PM

Review by qtipwoman:

Verelan PM (verapamil) for Cluster Headaches: My neurologist put me on just about every preventative medicine on the market and none helped stop my clusters. A high dose of Verapamil ER finally did the trick. (240 mg 3x a day) After almost 25 years of episodic cluster headaches I have finally been virtually headache free for about 3 years now! I am a bit worried about the side effects of taking such a high dose for such an extended time though. I've recently been having some voice issues and I'm wondering if there is a correlation.

July 20, 2013 10:24 PM

Review by Briz_guy:

For Arrhythmia: On 180mg slow release Verapamil for idiopathic left ventricular fascicular tachycardia. No episodes for 18 months. Side effects - the occasional feeling of "heart pounding" during physical work and a little constipation. So far very effective for my unusual heart condition.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate