User Reviews for Verapamil

Also known as: Calan, Calan SR, Covera-HS, Isoptin, Isoptin IV, Isoptin SR, Verelan, Verelan PM

Learn more about Verapamil.

Cluster Headaches 17 reviews 35 medications

High Blood Pressure 5 reviews 261 medications

7.1
Arrhythmia 5 reviews 42 medications

Bipolar Disorder 0 reviews 48 medications Not rated - Be the first
Idiopathic Hypertrop...baortic Stenosis 0 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nocturnal Leg Cramps 0 reviews 25 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Verapamil reviews 49 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Verapamil

Review by LarryJankowski: User Rating:

verapamil for Migraine Prevention: At age 37 I started feeling dizzy. -Not spinning, just a non-descript dizzy feeling, similar to a bad cigarette buzz. After 40+ doctors, 2 Mayo clinics and 2+ years, I was finally diagnosed with "vestibular migraine" and/or migrainous vertigo. I hesitate to call it vertigo as I was never spinning NOR DID I HAVE ANY HEADACHES! I was started at 40mg Verapamil 2x daily. That helped some. More was better. I worked with several Neuro-Otologists. At some point I was put on Verapamil ER, which I took once daily. -Much easier. I gradually increased the dosage to 400mgs/daily for about a month. I believe that broke the migraine cycle and was able to decrease down to 120mgs/day. I have since increased a bit as life stresses have increased.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 22, 2014 3:19 AM
Review by Don Pin: User Rating:

verapamil for Cluster Headaches: This medicine is very effective. It did stop my cluster headaches the day after initially taken. However, the side effects (unusual weight gain, sinus pain, constipation, bloating, shortness of breath) have outweighted the benefits. Going to the Dr. tomorrow for alternative therapy.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 13, 2014 7:48 PM
Review by SkiMama (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

verapamil for Migraine Prevention: I am 42 years old. I've dealt with migraines for 9 years. I recently had to stop taking the birth control pill with estrogen due to blood clots. Almost immediately upon discontinuing the pill - my migraines became severe. I had one every day for 3 weeks. I was taking an Imitrex every day (not good). I tried beta blockers and other medicines that had way too many side effects. Then I started taking Verapamil 120 mg ER once a day. It took a couple of weeks for the Verapamil to start working...but it did! The migraines stopped. Verapamil did lower my blood pressure a little and my ankles would sometimes swell. However - it stopped my migraines!

October 11, 2013 6:28 PM
Review by 2young2takeapill (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Calan SR (verapamil) for Arrhythmia: I'm on this medicine for heart arrhythmia. I'm 46, my heart does flip flops and super rapid beats per min. Blood pressure sometimes is 180/110. Then it drops to 96/67, that little roller coaster ride makes you ill. I started the Calan SR 180mg tab. It gives me wicked headache in left lobe & fatigue. It hasn't helped my heart from flip flopping or blood pressure from sky rocketing up then down like a yo-yo. However, it does calm my heart down once I have a spell and I take the meds. I generally fall asleep from fatigue. It could be that I haven't taken it long enough for it to start helping the high blood pressure or the irregular heart beat. Perhaps the second month will show improvement.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 28, 2013 4:01 PM
Review by MIss Margaret:

Calan SR (verapamil) for Migraine Prevention: I was put on a low dosage in 2002 when I was 37. The benefits were immediate and amazing. I actually looked forward to activities and outings. Unfortunately, after a couple years, the migraines crept back, only less severe, and less frequent. My doctor doubled the dosage, and that helped quite a bit. Now I take 350mg ER, which is the largest amount the doctor will allow. Although my migraines have become quite mild, I feel that the Verapamil has mostly lost its efficacy, and I plan to ask my doctor about gradually stopping the medication. Still, the years of relief it gave me were terrific, and I never hesitate to recommend it.

August 15, 2013 2:17 PM
Review by crosseyedmigraine: User Rating:

Verelan (verapamil) for Migraine Prevention: Only one migraine in almost 3 months, really helps a lot! and I take it at night, also helps me sleep better.

August 14, 2013 10:24 PM
Review by qtipwoman: User Rating:

Verelan PM (verapamil) for Cluster Headaches: My neurologist put me on just about every preventative medicine on the market and none helped stop my clusters. A high dose of Verapamil ER finally did the trick. (240 mg 3x a day) After almost 25 years of episodic cluster headaches I have finally been virtually headache free for about 3 years now! I am a bit worried about the side effects of taking such a high dose for such an extended time though. I've recently been having some voice issues and I'm wondering if there is a correlation.

July 20, 2013 10:24 PM
Review by Briz_guy: User Rating:

verapamil for Arrhythmia: On 180mg slow release Verapamil for idiopathic left ventricular fascicular tachycardia. No episodes for 18 months. Side effects - the occasional feeling of "heart pounding" during physical work and a little constipation. So far very effective for my unusual heart condition.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 24, 2013 11:48 PM
Review by Mattp89: User Rating:

verapamil for Cluster Headaches: It does work really well. I have been dealing with these headaches for about 6 years now and this is the best treatment yet. Headaches are not as frequent, I was having 4-6 a day lasting about an hour, extremely intense. Now it's down to two a day and not as intense. I do also take Imitrex when they are really bad or if it wakes me up in my sleep I noticed drinking a lot of water helps too, I hate these headaches and empathize with all of you.

June 11, 2013 10:00 PM
Review by Roz Harris (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

verapamil for Migraine Prevention: Was prescribed this medicine to prevent migraines, which I was getting several times a week. After being on these tablets for 3 months, I have had no relief from the migraines, either in frequency or severity, and have experienced side-effects including night sweats, hot flushes, dizzy spells and shaking.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 27, 2013 7:16 AM
Review by loret: User Rating:

verapamil for High Blood Pressure: Verapamil 80mg 2 times a day lowered my blood pressure significantly. The side effects are occasional constipation, itchy rashes, little shortness of breath and mild fatigue. Drinking at least 8 to 10 glasses of water a day helps. I like this better than atenolol which lowered my heartbeat and blood pressure to 100/49, and hydrochlorothiazide, which caused dehydration, tingling, rashes feeling very cold and fatigue.

May 20, 2013 4:08 AM
Review by Robbie B: User Rating:

verapamil for Cluster Headaches: I note that this is US based, but thought we could make this trans-Atlantic. I was VERY lucky in that my GP diagnosed cluster headaches very early on and referred me to a Neurologist. I was having an average of 7-8 headaches a day. Have been on 480mg a day (2 x 240mg a day) for a month and half now. Major improvement in about 10 days. Now I am having only a couple a day and they are not as intense. Oxygen at the onset usually clears it, otherwise I have to use a sumatriptan injection (but not very often). Would very much advise verapamil as treatment. The side effects are annoying but better than the excruciating pain.

April 28, 2013 5:24 AM
Review by fred62: User Rating:

verapamil for Migraine Prevention: I started taking Verapamil in 1995 after going to so many doctors about migraine headaches. Finally one doctor prescribed Verapamil. I haven't had a headache after going on this medication. It is a miracle because I was having headaches about every 3 weeks so bad I would have to go to bed for days.

March 22, 2013 8:24 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

verapamil for Cluster Headaches: My husband was diagnosed with episodic Cluster headaches, after a month of being on prednisone, he was put on verapamil. I am so thankful for this medicine. It has given him his life back.

March 16, 2013 6:10 PM
Review by LeAnners: User Rating:

verapamil for Migraine Prevention: I have a history of frequent headaches and mild dizziness. Recently developed severe 24/7 dizziness and head. Was bedridden for almost 3 months. Chronic migraine and vestibular migraine suspected. Started 120 mg verapamil and within days both headaches and dizziness started to improve. Within a few weeks was able to go back to work part time. Still not 100% but will be increasing dose and hoping for continued improvement. This medication has literally given me my life back!

February 14, 2013 10:12 AM
Review by MikeJ: User Rating:

verapamil for Cluster Headaches: I'm on my 3rd recurrence of cluster headaches, and this time I managed to get to the doctor and renew my verapamil prescription right away, after my first attack, and it's worked immediately, I'm a solid week in now and have not gotten another attack, I'm on 80mg 3x per day. It's worked well for me during past episodes, but I was really surprised that it controlled this recurrence so immediately.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 10, 2012 3:58 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

verapamil for Migraine Prevention: I started having dizziness and vertigo issues this year and was diagnosed with migraine in May. I was put on Prozac which helped with anxiety, but not with dizziness. Then the doctor added verapamil to my daily medication, initially at 120mg, which reduced the dizziness greatly within days. Then we upped to 240mg with even better results. I am about to go in for a 1 month check-up. I might ask if we can up the dose to 320mg or 360mg to get rid of the dizziness completely. This medicine has been a miracle, gave me my life back.

July 11, 2012 1:02 PM
Review by teej0976 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

verapamil for Supraventricular Tachycardia: Supraventricular tachycardia began 4/2012. Initial prescribed amount 240 mg (80mg) 3 x a day reduced for travel purpose to 1180mg per day. Prescribed with Flecainide (50mg 2x a day) Some constipation, Some melancholia and anxiety. Overall satisfaction okay.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 4, 2012 10:50 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Calan (verapamil) for Cluster Headaches: I take 360 mg in the morning and my cluster headaches never come on.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 12, 2012 11:00 AM
Review by Dr. Pistole: User Rating:

Calan (verapamil) for Migraine Prevention: I've been taking Calan for over 18 years and it is truly amazing. I was having severe, life altering migrianes at least once a week, usually twice. The migrianes stopped instantly the week I started using this medication. If I miss a dose, the headace will come in about two days. Great motivation to take the medication on a timely basis. I highly recommend this treatment for migrianes.

April 24, 2012 4:45 PM
Review by gwendellan: User Rating:

verapamil for High Blood Pressure: Verapamil ER 180 mg gave me tightness in chest, flu syndrome, cough, stomach pain, low grade fever, and a general feeling of being unwell. Also tiredness, headache and constipation. I took it for one week and discontinued due to these bad side effects. Unfortunately this medicine is not for me. Further, it did not lower my hypertension at all.

October 22, 2011 5:48 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

verapamil for Cluster Headaches: I am writing this about my son...4 years ago is when the headaches started. As he got older they got worse and worse. His migraines would last 45mins to 2 hours long and have 4-5 headaches a day. He lost his job because of this terrible nightmare, couldn't do anything but stay home and deal with this terrible pain. He at that point had no medical insurance and I was desperate to find out what was wrong with him. I began to search for some kind of emergency help and called Valley Medical. Had a CT scan, and saw a Neorolgist and put him on Verapamil and he has no more headaches. Our nightmare is finally over and I want to thank Valley Medical for all their help with their wonderful doctors to help my son. Now he can live a normal, pain-free life.

July 25, 2011 12:42 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

verapamil for Cluster Headaches: My husband has suffered with cluster headaches for the past couple years. His last cycle lasted 6 months where he had 2-4 cluster headaches a day, every day. His doctor started him on verapamil and he has been headache free for a month now. We just love this medicine.

June 16, 2011 11:00 PM
Review by JMesa: User Rating:

verapamil for Arrhythmia: Have slow pulse plus atrial fibrillation-since newly diagnosed 2010 have been happy with results.Pulse beating much stronger and regular beat more frequently. My husband takes for high blood pressure and atrial fibrillation and a much higher dose than I take. He has been on it for a long time with excellent results. Beta Blockers and other blood pressure pills did not seem to work for him. All our bodies are different and respond to medication differently, but we are both satisfied.

April 25, 2011 10:26 PM
Review by wonder drug: User Rating:

Calan SR (verapamil) for Migraine Prevention: From 1965 through 1992 I suffered from what a doctor called Migraine Headaches. I endured the sporadic episodes until they became longer in duration and more often. The constant nausea was worse than the headache itself, causing me to go to bed until the event would suddenly subside. Went to a doctor again around 1992 and was prescribed Calan SR. I took it until the prescription ran out ... and did not have any headaches during that time ... but then I did not renew my prescription and stopped taking it all together. However, I have never had a migraine again nor any type of headache at all since around 1992 to this day 2010 - that is approximately 16 years without even a headache. I consider this a miracle.

December 20, 2010 9:45 PM