User Reviews for Verapamil

Also known as: Calan, Calan SR, Covera-HS, Isoptin, Isoptin IV, Isoptin SR, Verelan, Verelan PM

Learn more about Verapamil.

Verapamil review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Verapamil to treat Migraine Prevention

I have suffered with severe migraines since 2008 and had been on so many different medications to try to control them, with many either not working or causing horrible side effects. In 2013 my neurologist finally put me on Verapamil Hydrochloride 240mg and these worked for a while but I actually found that I was still getting migraines and eye pain, So we cut it down to 120mg and 50mg of armitriplyline and again I found the pain was still there. I then stopped taking the amitriptyline and only took verapamil 120mg. I have not looked back since as verapamil has been amazing and haven't had a migraine at all (unless I forget to take my tablet) Obviously it is different for everyone, But this has been my God send!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 4, 2014 8:22 AM

Review by kiwiinoz27 (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been prescribed verapamil for vestibular migraines that I have had for the last 8 weeks with the only symptons being tiredness and disequilibrium. I am still in my first week of taking it (4 days) and have found it great. I has cleared the lethargy and tiredness and my disequilibrium has improved substantially. The only side effects I have had is slight dizziness if I move too fast or get up too quickly from sitting and my feet have been feeling a little swollen at night but nothing major. I am a 45 year old male and normally very fit and take 90mg of verapamil each day for a month followed by 180mg in the second month.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2014 5:38 AM

Review by hey jude (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have only been taking verapamil for less than 2 months. It took 2 weeks before I got relief from my chronic migraines. It was a wonderful feeling until my ankles started to swell and had intense pain in my feet, legs and hands. I just started to wean myself off of this med and already have relief from the swelling ankles and pain. So back to the Doc to see what else she can offer. I hate taking meds and think I will try a chiropractor and see what they can do for my migraines.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 27, 2014 8:51 PM

Review by LarryJankowski:

At age 37 I started feeling dizzy. -Not spinning, just a non-descript dizzy feeling, similar to a bad cigarette buzz. After 40+ doctors, 2 Mayo clinics and 2+ years, I was finally diagnosed with "vestibular migraine" and/or migrainous vertigo. I hesitate to call it vertigo as I was never spinning NOR DID I HAVE ANY HEADACHES! I was started at 40mg Verapamil 2x daily. That helped some. More was better. I worked with several Neuro-Otologists. At some point I was put on Verapamil ER, which I took once daily. -Much easier. I gradually increased the dosage to 400mgs/daily for about a month. I believe that broke the migraine cycle and was able to decrease down to 120mgs/day. I have since increased a bit as life stresses have increased.

January 22, 2014 3:19 AM

Review by SkiMama (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 42 years old. I've dealt with migraines for 9 years. I recently had to stop taking the birth control pill with estrogen due to blood clots. Almost immediately upon discontinuing the pill - my migraines became severe. I had one every day for 3 weeks. I was taking an Imitrex every day (not good). I tried beta blockers and other medicines that had way too many side effects. Then I started taking Verapamil 120 mg ER once a day. It took a couple of weeks for the Verapamil to start working...but it did! The migraines stopped. Verapamil did lower my blood pressure a little and my ankles would sometimes swell. However - it stopped my migraines!

October 11, 2013 6:28 PM

Review by MIss Margaret:

Calan SR (verapamil): I was put on a low dosage in 2002 when I was 37. The benefits were immediate and amazing. I actually looked forward to activities and outings. Unfortunately, after a couple years, the migraines crept back, only less severe, and less frequent. My doctor doubled the dosage, and that helped quite a bit. Now I take 350mg ER, which is the largest amount the doctor will allow. Although my migraines have become quite mild, I feel that the Verapamil has mostly lost its efficacy, and I plan to ask my doctor about gradually stopping the medication. Still, the years of relief it gave me were terrific, and I never hesitate to recommend it.

August 15, 2013 2:17 PM

Review by crosseyedmigraine:

Verelan (verapamil): Only one migraine in almost 3 months, really helps a lot! and I take it at night, also helps me sleep better.

August 14, 2013 10:24 PM

Review by Roz Harris (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Was prescribed this medicine to prevent migraines, which I was getting several times a week. After being on these tablets for 3 months, I have had no relief from the migraines, either in frequency or severity, and have experienced side-effects including night sweats, hot flushes, dizzy spells and shaking.

May 27, 2013 7:16 AM

Review by fred62:

I started taking Verapamil in 1995 after going to so many doctors about migraine headaches. Finally one doctor prescribed Verapamil. I haven't had a headache after going on this medication. It is a miracle because I was having headaches about every 3 weeks so bad I would have to go to bed for days.

March 22, 2013 8:24 PM

Review by LeAnners:

I have a history of frequent headaches and mild dizziness. Recently developed severe 24/7 dizziness and head. Was bedridden for almost 3 months. Chronic migraine and vestibular migraine suspected. Started 120 mg verapamil and within days both headaches and dizziness started to improve. Within a few weeks was able to go back to work part time. Still not 100% but will be increasing dose and hoping for continued improvement. This medication has literally given me my life back!

February 14, 2013 10:12 AM

I started having dizziness and vertigo issues this year and was diagnosed with migraine in May. I was put on Prozac which helped with anxiety, but not with dizziness. Then the doctor added verapamil to my daily medication, initially at 120mg, which reduced the dizziness greatly within days. Then we upped to 240mg with even better results. I am about to go in for a 1 month check-up. I might ask if we can up the dose to 320mg or 360mg to get rid of the dizziness completely. This medicine has been a miracle, gave me my life back.

July 11, 2012 1:02 PM

Review by Dr. Pistole:

Calan (verapamil): I've been taking Calan for over 18 years and it is truly amazing. I was having severe, life altering migrianes at least once a week, usually twice. The migrianes stopped instantly the week I started using this medication. If I miss a dose, the headace will come in about two days. Great motivation to take the medication on a timely basis. I highly recommend this treatment for migrianes.

April 24, 2012 4:45 PM

Review by wonder drug:

Calan SR (verapamil): From 1965 through 1992 I suffered from what a doctor called Migraine Headaches. I endured the sporadic episodes until they became longer in duration and more often. The constant nausea was worse than the headache itself, causing me to go to bed until the event would suddenly subside. Went to a doctor again around 1992 and was prescribed Calan SR. I took it until the prescription ran out ... and did not have any headaches during that time ... but then I did not renew my prescription and stopped taking it all together. However, I have never had a migraine again nor any type of headache at all since around 1992 to this day 2010 - that is approximately 16 years without even a headache. I consider this a miracle.

December 20, 2010 9:45 PM

Review by Mike Regan:

Calan (verapamil): I started taking Calan (Varapamil) 20 years ago. It decreased my migraines from monthly, to only getting them every five years. So obviously I think it works amazing. 120mg per day, and I take extra if I feel like one is coming on. More recently I also started taking 400mg magnesium, and I think that has helped also.

November 28, 2010 10:50 AM

Review by Bill Ark:

Very effective initially but has started to fade. Was already on Tenormin for blood pressure, but was sometimes having 3-4 attacks per week. When I started verapamil, I went for nearly 3 months before another attack. Now taking the absolute maximum dosage to control blood pressure, but attacks are slowly becoming more frequent.

June 27, 2010 8:52 PM

Review by jackannt:

I just started on verapamil for migraines/blood pressure 2 weeks ago. I went in to the doctor with a migraine and my blood pressure was high. I can tell a difference and feel better already. After years of awful pain it is a nice relief. However I am sleeping so sound that I don't hear my husband up at night. I take the pill at bedtime. I am not able to get up to run at 4:45 am either.

October 20, 2009 9:27 PM

Calan SR (verapamil): Works very well for migraines and heart rhythm problems

May 11, 2009 10:20 AM

I'm in shape, exercise, eat healthy, take my vitamins, no smoking or alcohol, yet have been miserable with headaches and frequent migraines. Verapamil, even in it's lowest dose, has helped to greatly reduce the frequency of my headaches and migraines. It is amazing to function all day without an aching head. It made me aware, for the first time, just how frequently I was experiencing problems. Very grateful for this medication.

April 14, 2009 10:57 AM

I received no relief for my frequent migraines, despite staying on Verapamil and having the dosage steadily increased over the course of one year. I am discontinuing usage.

February 14, 2009 3:55 PM

I was prescribed this medication to prevent migraines. It has worked very well and has eliminated my severe ones.

August 5, 2008 8:37 AM

Review by Down with migraines!:

I have been on this medication for the past week for blood pressure and migraines. So far I my blood pressure has been lowered and I haven't had a migraine. It makes me a little sleepy but it is nothing I can't handle. I have taken another kind of blood pressure medication previously and it made me feel funny but this doesn't. I'm glad that my doctor prescribed me a medication that can "kill two birds with one stone". I have felt better since I've been taking it.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 21, 2008 3:42 PM