User Reviews for Verapamil

Also known as: Calan, Calan SR, Covera-HS, Isoptin, Isoptin IV, Isoptin SR, Verelan, Verelan PM

Learn more about Verapamil.

Verapamil Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Verapamil to treat Migraine Prevention

"Works very well."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 20, 2016

"Doesn't work! I still have migraines at least 3 to 4 times a week and have to take Excedrin Migraine to get rid of them."

RettaG (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2016

"I have been having daily migraines with aura for many years. I tried different things until I was prescribed calcium channel blockers.I tried first amilodipine with encouraging results at first, but then having severe side effects. So switched to verapamil, where the positive impact on the migraines is a bit less pronounced, but I am practically free of side effects. it didn't solve my problem, but I can feel a significant improvement."

avalokiteshwara (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

"To me this is a wonder drug, my migraines were driving me crazy it was the most uncomfortable experience. I was told by my neurologist that I have cluster migraines and suffered with it for about 6 years and he put my on 40mg of Verapmil twice a day. I can now live freely, if I get migraines now they are very weak and I can go about my day normally."

Naj January 9, 2016

"I had chronic headaches and migraines and had all the tests MRI/CAT scan to try to determine cause - everything normal. Final resort was Verapamil and I was instantly pain free - as long as I take the lowest dose - am actually taking 1/2 pill of the smallest dose - extended release - and it works for me - but if I stop taking it - the headaches are back within two days."

vihenry December 16, 2015

"40mg per day is normally considered a very low dose but is all that I need to prevent migraines. I tried just about everything else for years until I got on to Verapamil. To me this is a wonder drug."

go500 December 6, 2015

"Verapamil was given to me for migraines in the same week I was placed on ziprasidone. They didn't mix well. Had a horrible reaction heart dysrhythmia and weakened my kidney's. My lesson to all read and know all warnings of all new medications."

Luckybutterfly November 3, 2015

"I've had migraines for over 30 years and have tried so many things. My doctor started me on Verapamil 240mg 3 weeks ago. I've had no relief. If anything my migraines have been more intense. This was pretty much my last chance as I have tried everything else. I average 12 to 15 migraines a month and am so tired of them. I was so hoping this would work. I'm going to give it a little longer but am getting night sweats and dizziness from it."

KalGal2 (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2015

"I was diagnosed at 19. I began having bouts with hemiplegic migraines 10 years ago. While few and far between they were very scary! No one offered medications to control them until now. For a year or better I've had blurred vision in one eye that would come and go with a dull headache. After going to have a vision check my optometrist sent me directly to a neurologist. Something the ER and my family doctor wouldn't do. The aura I get before a migraine has changed and I'm having migraine spasms which is a severe migraine wo the normal pain symptoms. These actually caused my father's strokes at 41 yeas old! The neurologist started me on verapamil 40 mg 3xs a day. Pain free finally! Slight joint pain but worth it!"

NyteSkye October 15, 2015

"I've also been headache free for several years. Took everyday for three years. Saved my life too!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 7, 2015

"This drug actually added on to my problems with my migraines. I became so dizzy, sweat nonstop, and can't seem to find a good night of sleep since being on this medicine."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2015

"This medicine was a lifesaver for me. I no longer experience migraines or headaches and can function as a regular human being and I feel like I have a new lease on life. I was getting 3-5 migraines a week and now I am not getting any."

Tasha Anderson (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

"This is my second time trying verapamil. Neither time was effective. Side effects were unacceptable (leg pain, increased dizziness, non migraine headaches)."

migraine patient (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2015

"I began having nasty migraines mid November 2013. I got some relief from a pill I started to take in February 2014. By March my migraines were back. I suffered through the migraines until September 2014. I had to change doctors because mine retired. I mentioned my problems with migraines. I met with a nurse practitioner who went through all the usual stuff. I told her that I once had a pill that worked. She asked if I wanted to try it again. I said I did. At the end of the meeting I asked her if I could actually try something different. She prescribed Verapimil. THANK GOD. Three days later my migraines were gone. I'm not sure what I would have done without it."

Gary Ped December 8, 2014

"I have suffered with severe migraines since 2008 and had been on so many different medications to try to control them, with many either not working or causing horrible side effects. In 2013 my neurologist finally put me on Verapamil Hydrochloride 240mg and these worked for a while but I actually found that I was still getting migraines and eye pain, So we cut it down to 120mg and 50mg of armitriplyline and again I found the pain was still there. I then stopped taking the amitriptyline and only took verapamil 120mg. I have not looked back since as verapamil has been amazing and haven't had a migraine at all (unless I forget to take my tablet) Obviously it is different for everyone, But this has been my God send!"

Anonymous August 4, 2014

"I have been prescribed verapamil for vestibular migraines that I have had for the last 8 weeks with the only symptons being tiredness and disequilibrium. I am still in my first week of taking it (4 days) and have found it great. I has cleared the lethargy and tiredness and my disequilibrium has improved substantially. The only side effects I have had is slight dizziness if I move too fast or get up too quickly from sitting and my feet have been feeling a little swollen at night but nothing major. I am a 45 year old male and normally very fit and take 90mg of verapamil each day for a month followed by 180mg in the second month."

kiwiinoz27 (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2014

"I have only been taking verapamil for less than 2 months. It took 2 weeks before I got relief from my chronic migraines. It was a wonderful feeling until my ankles started to swell and had intense pain in my feet, legs and hands. I just started to wean myself off of this med and already have relief from the swelling ankles and pain. So back to the Doc to see what else she can offer. I hate taking meds and think I will try a chiropractor and see what they can do for my migraines."

hey jude (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2014

"At age 37 I started feeling dizzy. -Not spinning, just a non-descript dizzy feeling, similar to a bad cigarette buzz. After 40+ doctors, 2 Mayo clinics and 2+ years, I was finally diagnosed with "vestibular migraine" and/or migrainous vertigo. I hesitate to call it vertigo as I was never spinning NOR DID I HAVE ANY HEADACHES! I was started at 40mg Verapamil 2x daily. That helped some. More was better. I worked with several Neuro-Otologists. At some point I was put on Verapamil ER, which I took once daily. -Much easier. I gradually increased the dosage to 400mgs/daily for about a month. I believe that broke the migraine cycle and was able to decrease down to 120mgs/day. I have since increased a bit as life stresses have increased."

LarryJankowski January 22, 2014

"I am 42 years old. I've dealt with migraines for 9 years. I recently had to stop taking the birth control pill with estrogen due to blood clots. Almost immediately upon discontinuing the pill - my migraines became severe. I had one every day for 3 weeks. I was taking an Imitrex every day (not good). I tried beta blockers and other medicines that had way too many side effects. Then I started taking Verapamil 120 mg ER once a day. It took a couple of weeks for the Verapamil to start working...but it did! The migraines stopped. Verapamil did lower my blood pressure a little and my ankles would sometimes swell. However - it stopped my migraines!"

SkiMama (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2013

Calan SR (verapamil): "I was put on a low dosage in 2002 when I was 37. The benefits were immediate and amazing. I actually looked forward to activities and outings. Unfortunately, after a couple years, the migraines crept back, only less severe, and less frequent. My doctor doubled the dosage, and that helped quite a bit. Now I take 350mg ER, which is the largest amount the doctor will allow. Although my migraines have become quite mild, I feel that the Verapamil has mostly lost its efficacy, and I plan to ask my doctor about gradually stopping the medication. Still, the years of relief it gave me were terrific, and I never hesitate to recommend it."

MIss Margaret August 15, 2013

Verelan (verapamil): "Only one migraine in almost 3 months, really helps a lot! and I take it at night, also helps me sleep better."

crosseyedmigraine August 14, 2013

"Was prescribed this medicine to prevent migraines, which I was getting several times a week. After being on these tablets for 3 months, I have had no relief from the migraines, either in frequency or severity, and have experienced side-effects including night sweats, hot flushes, dizzy spells and shaking."

Roz Harris (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2013

"I started taking Verapamil in 1995 after going to so many doctors about migraine headaches. Finally one doctor prescribed Verapamil. I haven't had a headache after going on this medication. It is a miracle because I was having headaches about every 3 weeks so bad I would have to go to bed for days."

fred62 March 22, 2013

"I have a history of frequent headaches and mild dizziness. Recently developed severe 24/7 dizziness and head. Was bedridden for almost 3 months. Chronic migraine and vestibular migraine suspected. Started 120 mg verapamil and within days both headaches and dizziness started to improve. Within a few weeks was able to go back to work part time. Still not 100% but will be increasing dose and hoping for continued improvement. This medication has literally given me my life back!"

LeAnners February 14, 2013

"I started having dizziness and vertigo issues this year and was diagnosed with migraine in May. I was put on Prozac which helped with anxiety, but not with dizziness. Then the doctor added verapamil to my daily medication, initially at 120mg, which reduced the dizziness greatly within days. Then we upped to 240mg with even better results. I am about to go in for a 1 month check-up. I might ask if we can up the dose to 320mg or 360mg to get rid of the dizziness completely. This medicine has been a miracle, gave me my life back."

Anonymous July 11, 2012