User Reviews for Verapamil

Also known as: Calan, Calan SR, Covera-HS, Isoptin, Isoptin IV, Isoptin SR, Verelan, Verelan PM

Learn more about Verapamil.

Verapamil review summary

9.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Cluster Headaches.

Reviews for Verapamil to treat Cluster Headaches

Review by Don Pin:

This medicine is very effective. It did stop my cluster headaches the day after initially taken. However, the side effects (unusual weight gain, sinus pain, constipation, bloating, shortness of breath) have outweighted the benefits. Going to the Dr. tomorrow for alternative therapy.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 13, 2014 7:48 PM

Review by qtipwoman:

Verelan PM (verapamil): My neurologist put me on just about every preventative medicine on the market and none helped stop my clusters. A high dose of Verapamil ER finally did the trick. (240 mg 3x a day) After almost 25 years of episodic cluster headaches I have finally been virtually headache free for about 3 years now! I am a bit worried about the side effects of taking such a high dose for such an extended time though. I've recently been having some voice issues and I'm wondering if there is a correlation.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 20, 2013 10:24 PM

Review by Mattp89:

It does work really well. I have been dealing with these headaches for about 6 years now and this is the best treatment yet. Headaches are not as frequent, I was having 4-6 a day lasting about an hour, extremely intense. Now it's down to two a day and not as intense. I do also take Imitrex when they are really bad or if it wakes me up in my sleep I noticed drinking a lot of water helps too, I hate these headaches and empathize with all of you.

June 11, 2013 10:00 PM

Review by Robbie B:

I note that this is US based, but thought we could make this trans-Atlantic. I was VERY lucky in that my GP diagnosed cluster headaches very early on and referred me to a Neurologist. I was having an average of 7-8 headaches a day. Have been on 480mg a day (2 x 240mg a day) for a month and half now. Major improvement in about 10 days. Now I am having only a couple a day and they are not as intense. Oxygen at the onset usually clears it, otherwise I have to use a sumatriptan injection (but not very often). Would very much advise verapamil as treatment. The side effects are annoying but better than the excruciating pain.

April 28, 2013 5:24 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My husband was diagnosed with episodic Cluster headaches, after a month of being on prednisone, he was put on verapamil. I am so thankful for this medicine. It has given him his life back.

March 16, 2013 6:10 PM

Review by MikeJ:

I'm on my 3rd recurrence of cluster headaches, and this time I managed to get to the doctor and renew my verapamil prescription right away, after my first attack, and it's worked immediately, I'm a solid week in now and have not gotten another attack, I'm on 80mg 3x per day. It's worked well for me during past episodes, but I was really surprised that it controlled this recurrence so immediately.

September 10, 2012 3:58 PM

Calan (verapamil): I take 360 mg in the morning and my cluster headaches never come on.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 12, 2012 11:00 AM

I am writing this about my son...4 years ago is when the headaches started. As he got older they got worse and worse. His migraines would last 45mins to 2 hours long and have 4-5 headaches a day. He lost his job because of this terrible nightmare, couldn't do anything but stay home and deal with this terrible pain. He at that point had no medical insurance and I was desperate to find out what was wrong with him. I began to search for some kind of emergency help and called Valley Medical. Had a CT scan, and saw a Neorolgist and put him on Verapamil and he has no more headaches. Our nightmare is finally over and I want to thank Valley Medical for all their help with their wonderful doctors to help my son. Now he can live a normal, pain-free life.

July 25, 2011 12:42 AM

My husband has suffered with cluster headaches for the past couple years. His last cycle lasted 6 months where he had 2-4 cluster headaches a day, every day. His doctor started him on verapamil and he has been headache free for a month now. We just love this medicine.

June 16, 2011 11:00 PM

Review by DrBB01:

Marginally effective after/during cycle. Better used prophylactically. Best in combination with other treatment.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 7, 2010 12:05 AM

Great for cluster headaches. Haven't had a severe cluster headache since I was diagnosed correctly (cluster headache sufferers know the story) and started taking it. I take the 240 mg ER version.

August 14, 2010 10:19 PM

Review by KamikazeOzzie:

Calan (verapamil): I get episodic Cluster Headaches and taking this medication keeps the headaches from happening. I took 80mg three times a day the first time it was prescribed, but had to double the dosage this time around.

April 4, 2010 3:44 PM

Review by HansMeyer:

Calan SR (verapamil): Calan SR worked miracles for me. It doesn't stop the headaches; over a short period of time the drug builds up in your system and then you can feel an attack coming on (the eye starting to droop and some nasal congestion), then, viola, the headache is aborted!

September 11, 2009 7:46 PM

Review by Cluster Sufferer:

Spent 20 years trying to get a correct diagnosis of what ended up being Cluster Headaches. Finally diagnosed by a neurologist and started taking Verapamil Hydrochloride 240mg once per day during cluster cycles with amazing results. Takes up to 9 days to work, but boy does it work! Amazing results for this cluster sufferer. Has made my life worth living again. Side effects are minimal. If you have cluster headaches then you really need this miracle pill!

July 22, 2009 5:37 PM

Review by clusterhead:

Have taken 120mg 3 x per day during cluster cycles for many years. Taper off when I think I'm finished with cycles. Sometimes takes a week or two to start working, but almost always eliminates or diminishes severity of attacks.

April 29, 2009 5:26 PM

Review by Humantrick:

This medication was originally prescribed for high blood pressure, but in higher doses has 99% eliminated my cluster headaches and helped with temper outbursts. A powerful, multi-purpose and inexpensive medication.

July 30, 2008 2:53 PM

Review by chschick2003:

I started this medication to clear up 2-4 migraine headaches a week. I have only had one in several weeks of taking it. I am very happy with the results. It has greatly improved my life.

April 21, 2008 2:32 AM