User Reviews for Verapamil

Also known as: Calan, Calan SR, Covera-HS, Isoptin, Isoptin IV, Isoptin SR, Verelan, Verelan PM

Learn more about Verapamil.

Verapamil Review Summary

9.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 36 medications used in the treatment of Cluster Headaches.

Reviews for Verapamil to treat Cluster Headaches

"Headaches ceased. None in 6 years. No other changes in diet or habits. This drug saved my life, actually close to suicide on several occasions. Not a great blood pressure drug for me, but willing to endure moderate edema for the sake of headache relief. Had a wise and gifted neurologist."

Zukov August 1, 2015

"Prescribed for high blood pressure. I have heart disease and cluster headaches, back problems. Did not know verapamil was prescribed for cluster headache. Sometime my headaches are in one spot, other times all over. Pray for me."

nubben (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2015

"My girlfriend asked me if I love her more than anything. I told her that I do love her more than anything but my verapamil!"

var #1 April 6, 2015

"Life saving..10 yrs of dealing with Cluster Migraines then with research on my own and A understanding Dr. Willing to write the prescription..I am now able to function with a normal life. Within 7 days of starting 80 ms x 3 daily no more clusters...Zero !!!! Been on meds 4 months. Excited to enjoy life again!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2015

"Verapamil has transformed my life. I have lived with cluster headaches for 15 years now. The other medicine I can highly recommend is Sumatriptan succinate injections. Self administer via pen injector. During a headache the pain relief these bring me is euphoric, as they seem to switch off the pain within 20-30 seconds."

MisterTee (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 27, 2015

"Was diagnosed with cluster headaches approximately 6 years ago in Canada. Took prednisone to end a couple of cycles, but decided to try verapamil. It works, but I must stress that you must stop drinking any alcohol whatsoever - NONE, don't even smell the bottle (no kidding!) Also, for me, other sure triggers include dark chocolate, white chocolate, but small quantities of milk chocolate are OK. Also, stay away from MSG (monosodium glutamate). Verapamil WILL work, but you have to stay away from triggers to give it a chance! It might take a week or two. I also had to spread it out to 3 times in a day, rather than all in one dose for it to block all headaches at first. Now I'm on 2x120mg and headache-free!"

anubis44 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2015

"I was diagnosed with cluster headaches 5 years ago, I have them everyday, I take 480mg of verapamil daily, oxygen, Maxalt wafer, Aspalgen, oxygen, morphine injections. Nothing is helping me so far, my dr is now trialling me on Topamax. I hope this works. My heart goes out to us all that live with this condition. You are not alone."

Anonymous January 19, 2015

"Was diagnosed with chronic Cluster Headaches at the age of 18, was finally put on verapamil and as long as I stick to the schedule of 2x240mg verapamil SR daily (one in morning, one at night) I have gone from 3-5 severe headaches a day to 1 or 2 less severe headaches per week! This medicine makes my life tolerable and livable again. It really is an amazing medicine, I often can't believe how effective it is and I really fear that it might stop working for me one day but 3 years in and still OK."

Omnious58 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 8, 2015

"I was prescribed Verapamil a few years ago. I was suffering from uncontrollable cluster headaches and no other medication seemed effective. Once started on Verapamil, using it as a prophylactic medicine against the onset of a cluster headaches, I didn't get any more cluster headaches. This is a wonder medicine to me!"

Ms67GTO (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 7, 2015

"I have suffered for three years, at my whits end I too did my own research and after two weeks I am pain free. The bad attacks stopped instantly and the minor ones subsided after about day 7. I feel like I have my life back. I was exhausted for the first week until my body adjusted...but push through people....this medicine saved my life. I can even enjoy a glass of wine now and again!"

DavidfromVanisland December 10, 2014

"I am 29 been suffering since I was 15. I was Diagnosed with chronic cluster headaches until I was about 24. Dr currently has me on verapamil 240mg 2x daily. I've been on for approx 18 months after trying other various methods and well it Works EXCELLENT. I have 1 serious side effect..."I lost my mojo baby" no but for real being 29 and having zero sex drive and impotence problems with my current girlfriend is becoming an issue. I have tried to taper off verapamil but 2-3 days later the headaches come back. Verapamil is the only medication that has worked for me. I am not sure what I should do. Sex vs Clusters. Sad to say but I'd rather not have the headaches."

CJs01125 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 10, 2014

"My fiancé started with cluster headaches about six years ago. At first he was misdiagnosed by two doctors. We had to relocate due to work and found the best neurologist at Hershey Medical. He was diagnosed within seconds as having cluster headaches. It was explained that these headaches are usually misdiagnosed. The doctor put him on verapamil 120 ER and sumatriptan nasal along with oxygen. We had to increase to 180 but my fiancé has finally began to live a more normal life. He still gets the episodes but we are learning to adjust his meds as needed. THANK GOD AND HERSHEY MEDICAL"

Suffered too long (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 18, 2014

"I have had chronic cluster headaches for the past 6 years. My doctor tried all the usual meds to no avail. I did my own research and told him about trying Verapamil. I am now cluster-free for the past 7 months! Yes there are side effects (weight gain, sore neck for a couple weeks) but being that I was able to break the cycle at the lowest dosage (80mg 3x/day) I am beyond thrilled!"

Sala (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 5, 2014

"Only have 2 doses in right now. Its throwing me outta whack but I sure don't feel any worse than I usually do. Can't wait till I'm pain free."

jamieg75 October 1, 2014

"I have suffered from episodic cluster headaches for almost 50 years. 25 years ago, my doctor prescribed 240mg ER verapamil twice a day as a preventative when an episode began. Excellent results...no headaches unless I drank alcohol or ate chocolate. After about 8 weeks, my episode would be over and I stopped taking the verapamil. Another episode would occur in one to two years, 30 months max. After switching primary care doctors, my new doc suggested taking 240mg slow release verapamil every day to reduce my blood pressure and maybe act as a deterrent to the clusters. It worked...it has now been four years and no recurrence of the headaches. I only hope this goes on forever. My deepest sympathy goes out to anyone who has cluster headaches."

Grafwick (taken for 10 years or more) August 26, 2014

"Began episodic cluster headaches 15 years ago at age 49. 5 years later they became chronic. Suffered terribly for a few years until I was prescribed verapamil 80MG tabs with dose up to 240MG 3X/day. I continually self regulate my dosage to the minimum effective dose; increasing (up to the maximum) when clusters try to break through then slowly cutting back to whatever keeps the clusters away. My normal maintenance dose is about 120MG to 160MG 3X/day. When I have my dose right I get ZERO indication of headaches, not even a hint. I have had no side effects with any dosage of verapamil daily for 9 years but wonder if occasional dizziness may be attributable to the verapamil. Neither slow release verapamil nor Imitrex worked for me."

Anonymous July 29, 2014

"This medicine is very effective. It did stop my cluster headaches the day after initially taken. However, the side effects (unusual weight gain, sinus pain, constipation, bloating, shortness of breath) have outweighted the benefits. Going to the Dr. tomorrow for alternative therapy."

Don Pin January 13, 2014

Verelan PM (verapamil): "My neurologist put me on just about every preventative medicine on the market and none helped stop my clusters. A high dose of Verapamil ER finally did the trick. (240 mg 3x a day) After almost 25 years of episodic cluster headaches I have finally been virtually headache free for about 3 years now! I am a bit worried about the side effects of taking such a high dose for such an extended time though. I've recently been having some voice issues and I'm wondering if there is a correlation."

qtipwoman July 20, 2013

"It does work really well. I have been dealing with these headaches for about 6 years now and this is the best treatment yet. Headaches are not as frequent, I was having 4-6 a day lasting about an hour, extremely intense. Now it's down to two a day and not as intense. I do also take Imitrex when they are really bad or if it wakes me up in my sleep I noticed drinking a lot of water helps too, I hate these headaches and empathize with all of you."

Mattp89 June 11, 2013

"I note that this is US based, but thought we could make this trans-Atlantic. I was VERY lucky in that my GP diagnosed cluster headaches very early on and referred me to a Neurologist. I was having an average of 7-8 headaches a day. Have been on 480mg a day (2 x 240mg a day) for a month and half now. Major improvement in about 10 days. Now I am having only a couple a day and they are not as intense. Oxygen at the onset usually clears it, otherwise I have to use a sumatriptan injection (but not very often). Would very much advise verapamil as treatment. The side effects are annoying but better than the excruciating pain."

Robbie B April 28, 2013

"My husband was diagnosed with episodic Cluster headaches, after a month of being on prednisone, he was put on verapamil. I am so thankful for this medicine. It has given him his life back."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2013

"I'm on my 3rd recurrence of cluster headaches, and this time I managed to get to the doctor and renew my verapamil prescription right away, after my first attack, and it's worked immediately, I'm a solid week in now and have not gotten another attack, I'm on 80mg 3x per day. It's worked well for me during past episodes, but I was really surprised that it controlled this recurrence so immediately."

MikeJ September 10, 2012

Calan (verapamil): "I take 360 mg in the morning and my cluster headaches never come on."

Anonymous June 12, 2012

"I am writing this about my son...4 years ago is when the headaches started. As he got older they got worse and worse. His migraines would last 45mins to 2 hours long and have 4-5 headaches a day. He lost his job because of this terrible nightmare, couldn't do anything but stay home and deal with this terrible pain. He at that point had no medical insurance and I was desperate to find out what was wrong with him. I began to search for some kind of emergency help and called Valley Medical. Had a CT scan, and saw a Neorolgist and put him on Verapamil and he has no more headaches. Our nightmare is finally over and I want to thank Valley Medical for all their help with their wonderful doctors to help my son. Now he can live a normal, pain-free life."

Anonymous July 25, 2011

"My husband has suffered with cluster headaches for the past couple years. His last cycle lasted 6 months where he had 2-4 cluster headaches a day, every day. His doctor started him on verapamil and he has been headache free for a month now. We just love this medicine."

Anonymous June 16, 2011