User Reviews for Tikosyn

Learn more about Tikosyn.

Arrhythmia 24 reviews 42 medications

8.4
Summary of Tikosyn reviews 24 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Tikosyn

For Arrhythmia "I was diagnosed with chronic A-Fib about three years ago after a dramatic life-threatening episode with an antibiotic that interacted with warfarin & put me in ICU for four days and then three morel for a total bill of $86,000. My cardiologist told me he could do nothing further for me as my case was too risky for ablation since I have emphysema. After a couple of months feeling as if I were on the EDGE, my Primary recommended a Cardiologist at a major university and he put me in the hospital for 4 days and on Tikosyn 500 mg. That as two years ago and I have done well as far as my heart rhythm. He did tell me he was worried about my brain...does Tikosyn affect the brain long term, as in concentration & Dementia. I am 74 & new age spots."

Sugar Pie (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 10, 2015

For Arrhythmia "In persistent Atrial Fibrillation for five years. Tried a few cardioversions and they lasted a week or so. I wasn't very symptomatic so I lived with it along with Coumadin and then Pradaxa. Had ablation, stayed in sinus for 2 weeks. Couldn't tolerate flecanide. Had another cardioversion and would not convert. Put on Tikosyn and spontaneous normal sinus after one dose and no hint of AF since."

wimawep (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 10, 2015

For Arrhythmia "Update - Now over one year taking Tikosyn (500 ug twice a day) in combination with metoprolol (25 mg, twice a day) Went from 100% persistent atrial fibrillation to 5% occasional episodes. Some side effects (dry mouth, dry eyes, a little fatigue (unless I force myself to be active), but nothing as debilitating as atrial fibrillation. Still highly recommend this therapy!"

Carolina TarHeel (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 27, 2014

For Arrhythmia "I had three cardioversions. One last 6 years. Another lasted 1 year and the third one lasted only a week. So, I headed to a hospital in Nashville to explore my options. The new cardiologist suggested a 4th cardioversion, but follow up with Tikosyn. I was afraid of side effects, however I continued on with the plan. After 17 days, I went back into Afib. I decided to stop using caffeine to see if it helped. Within 48 hours of eliminating coffee, I was back in rhythm and have been so since. I have no side affects and my exercise routine has dramatically improved. Very happy with the results so far."

Edwingus123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2014

For Arrhythmia "I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation about 7 years ago. I had 3 unsuccessful abrasions to try to get back into sinus rhythm. Mayo Clinic said it was to risky to do any more. Put me on Tikosyn. I have stayed in rhythm about 99% on the time since."

bmeline55369 July 26, 2014

For Arrhythmia "26 when diagnosed, 3 ablation, at least 50 cardioversions open heart Cox Maiden success. At 37 went on Tikosyn. I live a normal life in sinus rhythm 99 percent of the time. If I had to do all over I would not have had any surgery. However a very nice effect of the Cox Maize is that it nearly eliminated my risk of stroke. Been on Tikosyn for five years with no noticeable side effects."

claf (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 28, 2014

For Arrhythmia "In persistent Atrial Fibrillation for 11 months being switched around between various doses and combinations of metoprolol and diltiazem for rate control without success. Converted on second dose of Tikosyn and had absolutely no problems with dosing in hospital other than a little headache on first dose. I never knew how bad I felt in Atrial Fibrillation until normal sinus rhythm restored. Check with your doctor about this medicine. They have a great program to insure safety medicine loading (although three days in the hospital CAN get a little boring!)."

CarolinaTarHeel (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2013

For Arrhythmia "Excellent. I was in atrial fibrillation for about 6 weeks. When my electro-physiologist put me in the hospital to monitor me for this medicine, within 2 hours after taking Tikosyn, I returned to normal sinus rhythm. I still go in and out of atrial fibrillation, and will have catheter ablation within the next few weeks."

Davenfl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2012

For Arrhythmia "Diagnosed with atrial fibrillation in 2007. Three electrocardioversions, two ablations, a Medtronic ICD and 1000 mcg a day of Tikosyn and I am in sinus rhythm 99.998% of the time. Before treatment I was in A-Fib for 10 months. My Electrophysiologist prescribed 25mg twice daily of atenolol to help with the pounding heart beat side effect of Tikosyn. I turn 37 in August so my major concern is the long term use of Tikosyn. Its a fairly new medicine and there isn't any research of long term (20 yrs) dosage. So far, so good. It does make me tired, but that is a small price to pay to live without A-Fib."

Russ R July 18, 2012

For Arrhythmia "2 years 7 Months: One A fib at 19 Months. Watch for serious drug interactions. "

Anonymous July 5, 2012

For Arrhythmia "I just got out of the hospital after my second ablation proved unsuccessful and was taken off my previous anti-arhythmic Sotalol which seemed to be less effective for months in its generic form. Anyway, with Tikosyn I noticed a difference in how I felt pretty quickly and am hoping this trend continues. I had been on Betapace for 15 years and have had 4 ICDs/ Pacemakers after being diagnosed with an idiopathic DCM in 1996 and surviving 3 cardiac arrests now. As far as I am concerned, the difference in my heart rhythm and how I feel thus far is the MIRACLE I have been waiting for. It has been years since I felt this good, and someone who is 44 SHOULD be able to feel this good (I was 28 when diagnosed). I think this medicine is definitely worth the risks!"

LisaME April 12, 2012

For Arrhythmia "I have been taking this medication for about 8 months. My skip beats have been significantly reduced. I have not had any fainting spells, and my quality of life has also improved tenfold. My cardio just cut my dose in half because of my kidneys I think. I just hope they don't take me off of it, it has made such a big difference in my life."

Rogerfb January 22, 2012

For Arrhythmia "Tikosyn was started in December of 2009 in a hospital setting. At this time two years later I have not been hospitalized for a atrial fibrillation. It has worked well with no side effects. The only downside is remembering to take it at the right time twice a day."

Anonymous December 4, 2011

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Arrhythmia "I have used Tikosyn since Jan 09 and have had an ablation in late 08. Tikosyn has worked well without any problems. I tried many other drugs with not much success."

Chuck H. November 23, 2011

For Arrhythmia "I have been taking TIKOSYN for 5 weeks. It did not kick in until they did a cardioversion on me. I am still having high blood pressure and high heart rate, as well as skipped beats. I have a rash and itching that is very bothersome. But other than that, I am doing well. I feel good but I just wish my blood pressure and heart rate would go back to normal."

Anonymous September 5, 2011

For Arrhythmia "I have been on Tikosyn for 6 months. The first 4 months were difficult as there were lots of skips and bumps in between episodes of 1-2 per week. Though the times in arrhythmia were getting much shorter. I still feel as though my condition is improving overall as there are not as many symptoms as before I was taking it. Hope it just keeps getting better."

Slopey52 May 25, 2011

For Arrhythmia "Very good for atrial fibrillation. Electrocardioversions were not holding. This medicine converted my heart to a sinus rhythm after one capsule and has kept me there for 1 1/2 years. I have experienced no side effects."

Dave L. October 4, 2010

104 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Arrhythmia "I have been on Tikosyn for ten years and it is really working great for me. The only down spot is if you miss three doses you have to be hospitalized and cleaned out of the Tikosyn and reintroduced to the medicine. Otherwise it has really worked great with my and my pacemaker/defibrillator."

Anonymous June 28, 2010

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Arrhythmia "I had gone through a two year period of Atrial Fibrillation almost constantly. I had two ablations. I was loading up on Tikosyn when I started going in and out of Normal Sinus. After the second dose I converted. Prior to Tikosyn I had been Cardioverted, with paddles, over 30 times. In the two and a half years since I've been on Tikosyn I've needed that procedure once. Only complaint is how dangerous it can be if you take it too soon after last dose."

earthsci February 8, 2010

For Arrhythmia "I have been on Tikosyn 250mcg; 2 times a day since July 2009. I have had very little side effects and I'm feeling better..probably, never be as active as I was before all this. I have a defibrillator and pacemaker with 3 leads also. I feel bionic but I am better than I was a year ago. Just wish I could have more energy and not get tired so fast. "

Anonymous November 19, 2009

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Arrhythmia "Just started tikosyn at 125 mcg twice daily. Rythym is ok but heart rate is elevated and changes suddenly. Also have tightness in the chest."

Anonymous October 26, 2009

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Arrhythmia "This medicine was started in a hospital setting, but lowered my heart rate so low that the nurses would rush in to my room every 3 minutes because my heart monitor would alert them. My Cardiologist gave me 2 doses, and wanted to administer the 3rd, but I declined. "

Anonymous August 3, 2009

For Arrhythmia "I was started on this medication in the hosptial to help convert Atrial Fibillation to a normal rhythm using electric shock. The electrical cardioversion was successful. Upon discharge I now take 1000mg per day without ill effects except the cost, which is about $250.00 per month at this dose."

dtomie February 6, 2009

For Arrhythmia "I've been taking the maximum dose for years to control atrial fibrillation and flutter. It reduced the atrial fibrillation from 100% of the time to about 65% - which feels WAY better. I accidentally overdosed (double dose) once and went to ER for observation with NO ill effects. Later learned that another person - same situation - DIED within a couple of hours. Glad thay told me that after. This medicine is great, POWERFUL and dangerous if overdosed. So if you take it be damned sure to never ever take more than prescribed. "

Tom Dey February 5, 2009

170 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate