User Reviews for Cyproheptadine

Also known as: Periactin

Learn more about Cyproheptadine.

Cushing's Syndrome 0 reviews 34 medications

Anorexia Nervosa 0 reviews 5 medications

Summary of Cyproheptadine reviews 36 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Cyproheptadine

Review by Birddog44: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: My 4 year old was diagnosed with migraines (3-4 per month with vomiting and other symptoms). Given Periactin. Has had quite an increase in appetite and thus weight gain. It's difficult as a parent to balance the weight gain and social issues with that. Will try going off Periactin in summer per Neurologist. Hopefully the migraines will stay away and she will be able to lose some of the weight.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 16, 2014 11:46 AM
Review by Poorlittlemigrainegirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: My neurologist put me on 4x4mg Periactin at night as a preventative for chronic migraine. I was aware of the weight gain possibility & started running & yoga. I slowly gained 5kg in 5 months. Upon noticing this, I tried even harder. With time & dedication, I was able to exercise & eat my way back down to my normal skinny weight. When I'm hit with a carb craving (which is pretty often) I eat 30mg of a healthy carb (such as a 2 inch chunk of carrot). It satisfies perfectly as long as you havent consumed a protein in the last 2 hrs. Do not turn to fatty carbs. The drowsiness also wore off in the first week. I am the healthiest & best version of myself, thanks to migraines. Choose not to be a victim. I now run charity marathons & have kept my career.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 5, 2014 7:43 PM
Review by rooroomama (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: My child was diagnosed with cluster migraines when he was only 3.5 yrs old. This is very unusual. We refused to put him on anti-seizure medicines, which the Dr. said has the side effect of helping migraines. Instead we opted for Cyproheptadine and it has worked wonders and improved his quality of life by 100 fold. Yes, have to watch that weight gain but otherwise it has been a miracle.

December 29, 2013 10:30 AM
Review by maslar01: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: I am a retired physician who during the course of his practice treated many patients with severe anorexia secondary to HIV/AIDS as well as near end stage malignancies. For many years I prescribed Periactin starting with the 2mgm dose 1/2 to one hour before meal time. Many patients reported a robust weight gain. The hypersomnolence (excessive sleepiness) disappeared after one to three months. The Periactin can be reduced to one 2mgm every third day and the weight usually is maintained at good if not optimal levels.

October 3, 2013 2:51 PM
Review by LaLaTeT: User Rating:

cyproheptadine for Anorexia: I've been skinny my whole life basically. I'm 5'4", 18 yrs. old and weigh only 98 pounds I asked my doc is there anything I could do to gain at least 10 pounds so I could feel healthier and better about myself. She told me to just learn to love myself more but I guess she didn't understand that I love everything about me but I would love to put on some extra pounds. Well I started taking these last night and I would highly recommend NOT taking these if you have somewhere to be or something to do. My appetite skyrocketed and I ate everything in sight, but when I'm at least a month into these I'll update on everything.

July 30, 2013 3:59 PM
Review by Liza_S: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: I was prescribed 4 mg 3x a day. I asked my PCP for a prescription for this after doing some research myself. I never did see clear dosage guidelines so my Dr put me on the dose for allergies because use for migraines its off lable. I started it at 4 mg at night and had to go home sick (sleepy) from work the next day! So be very cautious when starting this medicine. I then started taking only 2mg each night and it has worked wonderfully. I had a migraine everyday for about 6 months before trying this and now not one for Months. I feel like I have my life back.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 26, 2013 2:23 AM
Review by miss cali (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

cyproheptadine for Anorexia: I just got my cyproheptadine pills last Monday, and gained 15 pounds by that Friday. I'm so happy, all it took was five days. Started at 105lbs ended at 120lbs. Happy weight.

July 3, 2013 1:56 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

cyproheptadine for Migraine: I have been taking this since I was about seven years old to fight off the migraines I was experiencing, almost daily, that would send me home from school. My doctor prescribed this to me, and almost 10 years later my migraines are practically gone. Now and again I'll feel the sensation of a headache coming on, and I still take it to fend them off. The only thing is it causes me to become drowsy, and often puts me to sleep sometimes. I've learned to take it after my meals in the evenings because of this, so I'll wake up refreshed in the morning.

May 26, 2013 9:59 PM
Review by Codysydney (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Allergic Reactions: Brilliant for my dog allergies. Unfortunately made me vomit and hallucinate. I think I'll go back to cetirizine.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 30, 2013 7:07 AM
Review by Reads Labels etc. (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: Cautiously wanted to try at low dose first. However, first time I needed it, I happened to be at migraine treatment center (at a hospital). We agreed this was the safest circumstances to try something new. Within a half-hour, I pressed nurse call-button: had trouble keeping my eyes open! Minutes later: unintended sleep. Dosage too high &/or interaction with recent dose of Toradol? (Toradol makes me sleep a few *hours* later - which is why I was at hospital.) Have not yet tried it again. Would try 1/4 of dose next time - & not near time frame of Toradol - & not when alone. No other side-effects. No way to judge effectiveness. Primary goal if first trial is "can I tolerate this?" Second trial is to find out if dose is enough for effectiveness.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 22, 2013 4:46 PM
Review by Trixie777: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: I am 5'7" weigh 109lbs and had three kids over 8lbs. I am anorexic and had been doing everything to maintain a healthy weight. When I started taking Periactin (cyproheptadine), I was gaining 1-2 lbs a day. The only problem is that 3/4 of my day I was sleeping, had dry mouth and very bad mood swings. Due to my heavy work schedule it was hard to continue taking the pills. When I stopped, I lost the weight as quick as I gained it. 4 days ago I started taking it again and gained 5 lbs. This time once I reach my target weight of 130, I will set aside a meal plan to maintain this weight in addition to taking only 2 pills a week. I would highly recommend this medication to anyone who suffers from anorexia or had no appetite.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 8, 2013 10:54 AM
Review by Jeaneem (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

cyproheptadine for Migraine: My 7 year old son has had these severe headaches, now believed to be migraines, since he was 3. With time the headaches have become almost daily. One month to the day. My son has had only 1 headache!! He has gained weight though, which for him was ok because he was so so skinny.

December 6, 2012 4:43 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: I have a awful case of migraines therefore my doctor prescribed me Periactin. I noticed a mood change and a huge weight gain of 40lbs within 2 months. It stopped working for my migraines after a week and then was prescribed Topamax.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 28, 2012 11:30 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: I take it once a day, and been on it for 2 weeks and already gain 4lb. I feel a lot better and can tell the difference. For the first week I felt like a zombie but once in my system the zombie is gone. I recommend this to anyone who wants to gain weight and be healthy.

July 17, 2012 3:43 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: Stopped 95% of my migraines. I found my migraines were related to allergies to egg and dairy - I think a lot of people don't check for this. Anyway, Periactin has been amazing, can make you a bit hungry at night but who cares. Try it if your Dr says it's for you.

June 16, 2012 3:00 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: I was pregnant, I had to stop taking Relpax (at 2 x a month) for migraines and I made notes and found I had horrible pain 20 out of 30 days in the month. For 2 months I suffered and my ob referred me to my neuro who referred to my ob and no one would help me. A new neuro put me on Periactin 4mg once a day. I started it on -I think day 2 of what usually is a 3 day migraine and it stopped. I had only a faint sensation of a headache.

April 9, 2012 11:16 AM
Review by Nummie1: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: On Periactin now for three weeks. I've gained 6 lbs so far. Still making me drowsy. Will keep you updated.

December 4, 2011 4:57 PM
Review by Nummie1: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Allergic Reactions: Started this medicine 2 days ago. Slept for 14 hours straight. Hunger just kicked in and I ate a huge sandwich and drink and I'm still hungry. Changed dose to 1/2 of 4 mgs and got up this morning normally. I intend to build up slowly because of the sleepiness side effects. I intend to stay on this due to my fast metabolism and stress to get back to normal. I think it is working!

November 20, 2011 5:58 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

cyproheptadine for Migraine: Tried this for my six year old son for migraines. Reduced the migraines almost in half, then we doubled those dose. It than caused restlessness, he went four days without sleeping. We have now gone back to the first dosage and are thinking about stopping it altogether.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 15, 2011 10:24 PM
Review by madame: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: Periactin (Cyproheptadine) is amazing for weight gain! I gained so much weight and I looked amazing, however there were three side effects 1) I slept like a bear, I was always tired 2) I had really bad mood swings, and I was like a zombie 3) dry nose bleeds. However I reduced the dosage from 2 tables (one in the morning, one at night) to one a day and I felt much better. I recommend you take multi-vitamins and do lots of exercise. The results were quick and amazing, I would recommend it to anyone who wants to gain weight.

October 1, 2011 6:46 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

cyproheptadine for Anorexia: I gained 10 pounds in 7 days. It's the best weight gain supplement in the WORLD!

September 14, 2011 9:11 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

cyproheptadine for Anorexia: I wanted to share my experience with Cyprohepatine. If you want to gain weight it really works, I have tried everything to try to gain weight, shakes, vitamins, etc. I have tried it and nothing worked. Until one day I found the answer-Cyprohepatine. If you are wondering like I was and asking does it really work. The answer is YES! YES! 117-124 pounds in one week ;) happy weight gaining.

March 18, 2011 8:52 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: I was prescribed Periactin to help contain severe migraines and have found it very effective. After taking two tablets a day for a week, I thought that maybe my migraines had been cured and stopped taking them- unfortunately, my headache came back within about 1 and a half days. I am now taking regular doses again and have not had a single headache to complain of, however the increased appetite is an unfortunate side effect.

October 24, 2010 8:07 AM
Review by clive345: User Rating:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: Great for weight gain.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 24, 2010 4:51 AM
Review by kailuluzoo: User Rating:

cyproheptadine for Cluster Headaches: I have had CHRONIC cluster headaches since 1978. Of the dozens of medications I have been prescribed, the only one that has brought me sustained relief over the years is Cyproheptadine. I have been on it since 1984, 8-mg twice a day every day (except during my pregnancies when I stopped all medicines, reverting to indescribable pain). My cluster headaches are not cured by cyproheptadine, but the severity of pain is reduced to a tolerable level. No side effects. Also, I had an occipital nerve stimulator implanted in 2007, which continues to help tremendously. Best abortive for me has been Ultram, 3 tablets taken at onset of pain (I try to limit this to 1 or 2 times per day, taken at the times I most need to function well).

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 16, 2010 4:26 PM

Severe allergies and anaphylaxis: Learn how epinephrine can save a life. Watch Video