User Reviews for Cyproheptadine

Also known as: Periactin

Learn more about Cyproheptadine.

Cushing's Syndrome 0 reviews 33 medications

7.8
Anorexia Nervosa 0 reviews 5 medications

Summary of Cyproheptadine reviews 58 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Cyproheptadine

For Anorexia: "I only been on this medicine for 2 months I take 3 a day I was 145 when I started and now I'm 170. I love this medicine because I couldn't eat to save my life. Now I'm only taking one pill a day so I won't eat as much. Great medicine"

EricalS July 12, 2015

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: "My teenage daughter suffered with debilitating migraines that became daily over a 1 year period. She was finally diagnosed with Chiari 1 Malformation. She tried Topamax for almost a year & Elevil for a month, along with Rizatriptan & Ketaprofen. NOTHING helped until Periactin. She was practically a part of our couch and kept our living room like a dungeon. She cried on a daily basis and could barely go to school. Now she is a normal teen and can even play sports! She rarely gets a headache and it goes away with rest. This is 2 months of 2 pills a day (the lowest dose). She does have a greater appetite, but I have her drink more water and limit her food intake. She stays on a schedule taking her doses, one with breakfast and one by 9 p.m."

Happy Mama (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2015

For Anorexia: "I used to be anorexic during my time in high school. I haven't been able to gain weight since then. I began dropping pounds and no matter what I ate, my weight would stayed at 105. I tried protein shakes, eating junk food all the time, nothing worked and my doctor prescribed this and it is amazing!"

Nikki93 May 15, 2015

For Anorexia: "Wonder pill! I took my first dose less than 24 hours ago, I have eaten all day. I have gained almost 2 pounds in one day!"

Too little (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

For Anorexia: "I have been taking cyprohetadine for two years. I started taking it when I was 29 years old and weighing 114. I now Weigh 142 pounds something impossible for me before because no matter how much I ate or what protein shakes I took I just couldn't gain weight. All my life I use to be depressed about my weight now I feel good in my skin."

Anonymous May 2, 2015

For Anorexia: "I have been thin my whole life as are my parents and sister who has had two children. I am 5'6 and about 92 lbs. I started Perfection again as I was on it last year in February for 1 month. I take 2 pills at night. You can definitely tell there is an increase in my appetite. My Doctor prescribed me 60 pills and two refills. I plan to gain at least 20 lbs. I will weigh myself at the end of April and May. I try to snack on peanuts and fruit throughout the day. I will return with results at the end of May. Wish me luck!"

Periactin (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2015

For Anorexia: "it was okay"

Anonymous March 15, 2015

For Anorexia: "I love this medicine. I had to take it while I was pregnant because I was not eating and I was losing weight. So this was a great booster.... Now I'm pregnant again and I'm looking forward to having this medicine again if needed.."

Jessloveme February 15, 2015

For Migraine: "I have been taking this for around three years now and I found that for the first year I was headache free. On my second year I was occasionally getting heads like 2 or 3 a month. Then after my third year of being on the medicine it seemed as though I was taking nothing to help with migranes. I have now been getting up 10 migranes at different times per day. I went to see my neurologist and he said I'm having uncontrolled migranes and he put me on Topamax so I guess I will see how that goes."

AshleyF (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 7, 2015

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "I've always been very thin, and I disliked the way I looked in the mirror for years. Then 3 years ago my mom introduced me to this medicine, it worked wonders for my body. It stimulated my appetite, mad me sleepy which was good since I had problems sleeping and this medicine changed the way I looked. I was curvy and attractive, I took one pill every day or sometimes every other day and I moved from a size 0 to a beautiful size 6 and I was very happy with myself. The sad thing is I'm in China for one year doing my postgraduate degree and the stresses of being here have pulled my weight down to 8kgs less to where it was when I first came here. "

Melisa7 January 25, 2015

For Anorexia: "I've been taking this medicine for weight gain, all my life I've been struggling with my weight, I'm 35 years old, 5'4 and weighed 92 lbs and after a month I'm at 110 lbs. This pill is a miracle, I also used to get really bad migraine but since taking this pill that has stopped."

sarah1979! January 13, 2015

For Anorexia: "I started taking these pills in September to increase my appetite.... I was 106lbs in Sept 2014, and now in January I'm 130lbs. I can't believe I gained 24 lbs. My ideal weight is 140 lbs. I take 3 pills a day and I eat 2300 calories a day or more. Although they make me sleepy I fight it off and do what needed to be done through the day. After I get to my weight goal I plan to go down to one pill a day instead of 3. SATISFIED"

Megan foster January 6, 2015

For Migraine: "when I was in 3rd grade I was diagnosed with Migraines sometimes the medicine doesn't help I fell lightheaded a lot, dizzy, and tired when I am in school when I get them my teachers just deal with it or no you don't have a headache go sit down, or even they say you are just trying to avoid doing your stuff. which am not."

amylynn1dlove (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 30, 2014

For Anorexia: "I took it for weight gain. I gained weight but when I stop taking it my weight drops back."

sania009 November 20, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For : "I take this to stimulate my apetite. It does just that, I've gained about 6th in a month."

chinadoll987 October 23, 2014

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "I have been looking for a long time a pill that would help me gain weight. Its not like was unhappy with the way I look but just wanted to add some curves. My daughter has been taking the pill and she was a lot smaller than me and she is looking great now. It does make you a little sleep at first but your body will start to get adjusted to it. I highly recommend this pill for weight gain. I just love and one pill a day will do the trick!"

fabulous40 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2014

160 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "This medicine is exceptional! I see many people saying they gained 1-5 lbs, I took it faithfully, three times a day and would you believe I moved up from a 7/8 to a 9/10 and put on about 22 lbs within only 4 wks. I stopped for about 2 wks, lost about 6 lbs(mainly stress) but I'm back on them and sleeping a little more, but it only took about 2-3 wks for my body to get used to them. If you wish to gain weight try this! You will cry tears of joy I was struggling with weight gain for about 5 yrs!"

Cece985 June 29, 2014

158 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "All my life I have struggled to gain or maintain my weight. There are periods when I have no appetite. Can go for days and not eat and not get hungry. This medication has been a God send. At first the drowsiness was almost debilitating. After reaching my desired weight, I found that dropping the dose to 1/4 tablet per day kept it on but without the side effects. My son suffers from the same thing and he is now on it too. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to gain weight."

JoJay June 29, 2014

99 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Cluster Headaches: "My son was only 4 when he was diagnosed with cluster migraines. The diagnosis came after a year because they rarely occur in children that young. The horror of hearing him scream "Mommy help me! Help me! Why does my head hurt!!" broke my heart. Our pediarician recommended a drug that controls seizures but sometimes actually causes seizures. Nope was my answer. Next he recommended Periactin. With little side effects and my sons headaches cycling one per day for 4 days I agreed. It was the best decision we ever made. As long as he takes his med he has no headaches at all. It has been the best blessing ever and given him a normal pain free life!!!!"

Robinroosmom June 27, 2014

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Urticaria: "I've been on Periactin for about 6 months. I take 8mg at night but I can't get up on time in the morning and the kids are late for school most days. I have found it works for my chronic urticaria but also noticed a huge weight gain. I was watching myself get fatter but didn't know why. After reading all the other reviews I now know it is the Periactin so I'm thinking of cutting back on the tablets. I need to lose weight. I feel horrible."

Shazree June 20, 2014

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: "I have struggled keeping on weight all my life I used to buy it in my country it work like wonders. Since moving to the UK I was unable to find it. Last week I found it in a pharmacy I have stocked up on it like I am preparing for world war three."

Hilly Billy June 19, 2014

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Urticaria: "While taking this stuff, I began to have an insatiable appetite. My mouth is almost always dry and my ears will have a screeching noise. It puts me to sleep within 20 minutes and is hard to shake off in the mornings, much worse than Benadryl. It is playing an effective role in controlling the chronic hives I have had for close to a year. Although I don't enjoy any of the side effects, I Do thoroughly enjoy not having hives all the time! I have a much better quality of life since I've began this new prescription!"

Hivemaster (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2014

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: "My 4 year old was diagnosed with migraines (3-4 per month with vomiting and other symptoms). Given Periactin. Has had quite an increase in appetite and thus weight gain. It's difficult as a parent to balance the weight gain and social issues with that. Will try going off Periactin in summer per Neurologist. Hopefully the migraines will stay away and she will be able to lose some of the weight."

Birddog44 April 16, 2014

For Anorexia: "After having kids I had a hard time trying to maintain my weight at my lowest point I was way down to like 109 lbs and over the years I would fluctuate between 117- to 120 lbs I'm 5'5 and I felt pretty skinny which made me uncomfortable so after researching Periactin I went to my doctor and got the script and I must say these pills changed my life I'm now at 140 lbs I feel great and they worked pretty fast, I would say within 3 weeks I noticed big changes and I stopped taking the pills a few months ago and I'm still maintaining the weight plus I added Boost Plus to my diet and I'm very satisfied and everyone notices the weight I put on, oh and I only took one tablet at night because they do make you extra sleepy.. pros outweighs cons."

Thimslick April 10, 2014

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: "My neurologist put me on 4x4mg Periactin at night as a preventative for chronic migraine. I was aware of the weight gain possibility & started running & yoga. I slowly gained 5kg in 5 months. Upon noticing this, I tried even harder. With time & dedication, I was able to exercise & eat my way back down to my normal skinny weight. When I'm hit with a carb craving (which is pretty often) I eat 30mg of a healthy carb (such as a 2 inch chunk of carrot). It satisfies perfectly as long as you havent consumed a protein in the last 2 hrs. Do not turn to fatty carbs. The drowsiness also wore off in the first week. I am the healthiest & best version of myself, thanks to migraines. Choose not to be a victim. I now run charity marathons & have kept my career."

Poorlittlemigrainegirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2014