User Reviews for Cyproheptadine

Also known as: Periactin

Learn more about Cyproheptadine.

Cushing's Syndrome 0 reviews 34 medications

Anorexia Nervosa 0 reviews 5 medications

Summary of Cyproheptadine reviews 44 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Cyproheptadine

Review by fabulous40 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: I have been looking for a long time a pill that would help me gain weight. Its not like was unhappy with the way I look but just wanted to add some curves. My daughter has been taking the pill and she was a lot smaller than me and she is looking great now. It does make you a little sleep at first but your body will start to get adjusted to it. I highly recommend this pill for weight gain. I just love and one pill a day will do the trick!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 19, 2014 11:58 AM

Review by Cece985:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: This medicine is exceptional! I see many people saying they gained 1-5 lbs, I took it faithfully, three times a day and would you believe I moved up from a 7/8 to a 9/10 and put on about 22 lbs within only 4 wks. I stopped for about 2 wks, lost about 6 lbs(mainly stress) but I'm back on them and sleeping a little more, but it only took about 2-3 wks for my body to get used to them. If you wish to gain weight try this! You will cry tears of joy I was struggling with weight gain for about 5 yrs!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2014 6:07 PM

Review by JoJay:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: All my life I have struggled to gain or maintain my weight. There are periods when I have no appetite. Can go for days and not eat and not get hungry. This medication has been a God send. At first the drowsiness was almost debilitating. After reaching my desired weight, I found that dropping the dose to 1/4 tablet per day kept it on but without the side effects. My son suffers from the same thing and he is now on it too. I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to gain weight.

June 29, 2014 1:12 PM

Review by Robinroosmom:

For Cluster Headaches: My son was only 4 when he was diagnosed with cluster migraines. The diagnosis came after a year because they rarely occur in children that young. The horror of hearing him scream "Mommy help me! Help me! Why does my head hurt!!" broke my heart. Our pediarician recommended a drug that controls seizures but sometimes actually causes seizures. Nope was my answer. Next he recommended Periactin. With little side effects and my sons headaches cycling one per day for 4 days I agreed. It was the best decision we ever made. As long as he takes his med he has no headaches at all. It has been the best blessing ever and given him a normal pain free life!!!!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2014 10:57 AM

Review by Shazree:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Urticaria: I've been on Periactin for about 6 months. I take 8mg at night but I can't get up on time in the morning and the kids are late for school most days. I have found it works for my chronic urticaria but also noticed a huge weight gain. I was watching myself get fatter but didn't know why. After reading all the other reviews I now know it is the Periactin so I'm thinking of cutting back on the tablets. I need to lose weight. I feel horrible.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 20, 2014 10:33 PM

Review by Hilly Billy:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: I have struggled keeping on weight all my life I used to buy it in my country it work like wonders. Since moving to the UK I was unable to find it. Last week I found it in a pharmacy I have stocked up on it like I am preparing for world war three.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2014 2:39 PM

Review by Hivemaster (taken for less than 1 month):

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Urticaria: While taking this stuff, I began to have an insatiable appetite. My mouth is almost always dry and my ears will have a screeching noise. It puts me to sleep within 20 minutes and is hard to shake off in the mornings, much worse than Benadryl. It is playing an effective role in controlling the chronic hives I have had for close to a year. Although I don't enjoy any of the side effects, I Do thoroughly enjoy not having hives all the time! I have a much better quality of life since I've began this new prescription!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2014 10:54 PM

Review by Birddog44:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: My 4 year old was diagnosed with migraines (3-4 per month with vomiting and other symptoms). Given Periactin. Has had quite an increase in appetite and thus weight gain. It's difficult as a parent to balance the weight gain and social issues with that. Will try going off Periactin in summer per Neurologist. Hopefully the migraines will stay away and she will be able to lose some of the weight.

April 16, 2014 11:46 AM

Review by Thimslick:

For Anorexia: After having kids I had a hard time trying to maintain my weight at my lowest point I was way down to like 109 lbs and over the years I would fluctuate between 117- to 120 lbs I'm 5'5 and I felt pretty skinny which made me uncomfortable so after researching Periactin I went to my doctor and got the script and I must say these pills changed my life I'm now at 140 lbs I feel great and they worked pretty fast, I would say within 3 weeks I noticed big changes and I stopped taking the pills a few months ago and I'm still maintaining the weight plus I added Boost Plus to my diet and I'm very satisfied and everyone notices the weight I put on, oh and I only took one tablet at night because they do make you extra sleepy.. pros outweighs cons.

April 10, 2014 11:41 AM

Review by Poorlittlemigrainegirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: My neurologist put me on 4x4mg Periactin at night as a preventative for chronic migraine. I was aware of the weight gain possibility & started running & yoga. I slowly gained 5kg in 5 months. Upon noticing this, I tried even harder. With time & dedication, I was able to exercise & eat my way back down to my normal skinny weight. When I'm hit with a carb craving (which is pretty often) I eat 30mg of a healthy carb (such as a 2 inch chunk of carrot). It satisfies perfectly as long as you havent consumed a protein in the last 2 hrs. Do not turn to fatty carbs. The drowsiness also wore off in the first week. I am the healthiest & best version of myself, thanks to migraines. Choose not to be a victim. I now run charity marathons & have kept my career.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 5, 2014 7:43 PM

Review by rooroomama (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: My child was diagnosed with cluster migraines when he was only 3.5 yrs old. This is very unusual. We refused to put him on anti-seizure medicines, which the Dr. said has the side effect of helping migraines. Instead we opted for Cyproheptadine and it has worked wonders and improved his quality of life by 100 fold. Yes, have to watch that weight gain but otherwise it has been a miracle.

December 29, 2013 10:30 AM

Review by maslar01:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: I am a retired physician who during the course of his practice treated many patients with severe anorexia secondary to HIV/AIDS as well as near end stage malignancies. For many years I prescribed Periactin starting with the 2mgm dose 1/2 to one hour before meal time. Many patients reported a robust weight gain. The hypersomnolence (excessive sleepiness) disappeared after one to three months. The Periactin can be reduced to one 2mgm every third day and the weight usually is maintained at good if not optimal levels.

October 3, 2013 2:51 PM

Review by LaLaTeT:

For Anorexia: I've been skinny my whole life basically. I'm 5'4", 18 yrs. old and weigh only 98 pounds I asked my doc is there anything I could do to gain at least 10 pounds so I could feel healthier and better about myself. She told me to just learn to love myself more but I guess she didn't understand that I love everything about me but I would love to put on some extra pounds. Well I started taking these last night and I would highly recommend NOT taking these if you have somewhere to be or something to do. My appetite skyrocketed and I ate everything in sight, but when I'm at least a month into these I'll update on everything.

July 30, 2013 3:59 PM

Review by Liza_S:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: I was prescribed 4 mg 3x a day. I asked my PCP for a prescription for this after doing some research myself. I never did see clear dosage guidelines so my Dr put me on the dose for allergies because use for migraines its off lable. I started it at 4 mg at night and had to go home sick (sleepy) from work the next day! So be very cautious when starting this medicine. I then started taking only 2mg each night and it has worked wonderfully. I had a migraine everyday for about 6 months before trying this and now not one for Months. I feel like I have my life back.

July 26, 2013 2:23 AM

Review by miss cali (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anorexia: I just got my cyproheptadine pills last Monday, and gained 15 pounds by that Friday. I'm so happy, all it took was five days. Started at 105lbs ended at 120lbs. Happy weight.

July 3, 2013 1:56 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Migraine: I have been taking this since I was about seven years old to fight off the migraines I was experiencing, almost daily, that would send me home from school. My doctor prescribed this to me, and almost 10 years later my migraines are practically gone. Now and again I'll feel the sensation of a headache coming on, and I still take it to fend them off. The only thing is it causes me to become drowsy, and often puts me to sleep sometimes. I've learned to take it after my meals in the evenings because of this, so I'll wake up refreshed in the morning.

May 26, 2013 9:59 PM

Review by Codysydney (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Allergic Reactions: Brilliant for my dog allergies. Unfortunately made me vomit and hallucinate. I think I'll go back to cetirizine.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2013 7:07 AM

Review by Reads Labels etc. (taken for less than 1 month):

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: Cautiously wanted to try at low dose first. However, first time I needed it, I happened to be at migraine treatment center (at a hospital). We agreed this was the safest circumstances to try something new. Within a half-hour, I pressed nurse call-button: had trouble keeping my eyes open! Minutes later: unintended sleep. Dosage too high &/or interaction with recent dose of Toradol? (Toradol makes me sleep a few *hours* later - which is why I was at hospital.) Have not yet tried it again. Would try 1/4 of dose next time - & not near time frame of Toradol - & not when alone. No other side-effects. No way to judge effectiveness. Primary goal if first trial is "can I tolerate this?" Second trial is to find out if dose is enough for effectiveness.

March 22, 2013 4:46 PM

Review by Trixie777:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: I am 5'7" weigh 109lbs and had three kids over 8lbs. I am anorexic and had been doing everything to maintain a healthy weight. When I started taking Periactin (cyproheptadine), I was gaining 1-2 lbs a day. The only problem is that 3/4 of my day I was sleeping, had dry mouth and very bad mood swings. Due to my heavy work schedule it was hard to continue taking the pills. When I stopped, I lost the weight as quick as I gained it. 4 days ago I started taking it again and gained 5 lbs. This time once I reach my target weight of 130, I will set aside a meal plan to maintain this weight in addition to taking only 2 pills a week. I would highly recommend this medication to anyone who suffers from anorexia or had no appetite.

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2013 10:54 AM

Review by Jeaneem (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine: My 7 year old son has had these severe headaches, now believed to be migraines, since he was 3. With time the headaches have become almost daily. One month to the day. My son has had only 1 headache!! He has gained weight though, which for him was ok because he was so so skinny.

December 6, 2012 4:43 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: I have a awful case of migraines therefore my doctor prescribed me Periactin. I noticed a mood change and a huge weight gain of 40lbs within 2 months. It stopped working for my migraines after a week and then was prescribed Topamax.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 28, 2012 11:30 PM

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: I take it once a day, and been on it for 2 weeks and already gain 4lb. I feel a lot better and can tell the difference. For the first week I felt like a zombie but once in my system the zombie is gone. I recommend this to anyone who wants to gain weight and be healthy.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2012 3:43 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: Stopped 95% of my migraines. I found my migraines were related to allergies to egg and dairy - I think a lot of people don't check for this. Anyway, Periactin has been amazing, can make you a bit hungry at night but who cares. Try it if your Dr says it's for you.

June 16, 2012 3:00 AM

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Migraine: I was pregnant, I had to stop taking Relpax (at 2 x a month) for migraines and I made notes and found I had horrible pain 20 out of 30 days in the month. For 2 months I suffered and my ob referred me to my neuro who referred to my ob and no one would help me. A new neuro put me on Periactin 4mg once a day. I started it on -I think day 2 of what usually is a 3 day migraine and it stopped. I had only a faint sensation of a headache.

April 9, 2012 11:16 AM

Review by Nummie1:

Periactin (cyproheptadine) for Anorexia: On Periactin now for three weeks. I've gained 6 lbs so far. Still making me drowsy. Will keep you updated.

December 4, 2011 4:57 PM