User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal, Imitrex Statdose, Sumavel DosePro, Zecuity

Learn more about Sumatriptan.

New Daily Persistent Headache 2 reviews 2 medications

8.3
Summary of Sumatriptan reviews 167 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Sumatriptan

Review by Cathhhhhy (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

sumatriptan for Migraine: I get migraines with aura. Right when I begin to lose my vision, I know the migraine is 30 minutes away. I take an Imitrex as soon as I start to lose my vision. It works within an hour or two about 80% of the time. I feel very weak and "out of it" when I do take one. It still doesn't help with nausea, however. I have not thrown up from a migraine (yet), just very nauseous. I have also used the injectable version. That works SO much better. However, I have psyched myself out and can no longer give myself a shot for some reason. Physical Therapy has really helped with my migraines. I also quit going to the chiropractor. I used to get migraines weekly, now it's been 6 months and I finally got one today.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 8, 2014 8:02 PM
Review by Ed E: User Rating:

sumatriptan for Migraine: Have had migraines on and off for years. I used Fioricet the last 8 years with good results but then my system must have changed that they did not work anymore. After talking to an Neurologist and having blood work etc. done she put me on Imitrex (Sumatriptan) 100mg. which worked great. Only thing I do is split these into 50mg. pieces and they still work good. From reading on different forums I did notice a lot of our fellow migraine sufferers get relief from 25 to 50mg. Also, I have not had any side effects taking the 100mg. Only negative for me is that they are pricey about $10 for 9 pills! Why nine who knows but they work and its worth it to me.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 5, 2014 12:00 PM
Review by Ben W: User Rating:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: First month prescription for 20, 50mg tablets. If I take at the first sign of headache goes away about 30 min. If wait to take tablet takes up two hours for the pain to stop. Since I have daily migraines tried waiting to save tablets, concerned run out of 50mg tablets prior to refill date. The Imitrex has been God sent for me. I have had migraines since my teens now in my sixities. Migranies only health probem I have. Plan to call my doctor let know how well Imitrex works for me and see if 30 day prescription or stronger prescription is what I need. From other reviews appears some users go days between headaches, that would be more than I ever expected after all these years.

March 28, 2014 9:55 PM
Review by Carter96281: User Rating:

sumatriptan for Migraine: I have had migraines ever since I can recall my earliest headaches. I'm lucky that mine progress slowly giving me time to take either ibuprofen or naproxen to take care of the majority of my migraines. That said every once in a while I get a acute enough or resistant enough attack that I take Imitex (sumatriptan) and usually within 20 min my migraines are less severe and within an hour completely resolved. I do however have odd side effects. If I feel nauseous prior to taking Imitrex it makes my nausea more severe. Every time I use sumatriptan my body feels run down and weak, almost as if I have taken a muscle relaxer. Regardless it is a Godsend when I need it. I have 100 mg pills that I cut into quarters. I usually only need 25 mg.

March 1, 2014 5:42 PM
Review by MSII: User Rating:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: I come from a family where everyone has terrible migraines. When I started getting them at age 21, I resorted to taking loads of Tylenol with Pesudophedrine to "mask" the pain, which took a heavy toll on my liver. Someone suggested that I look into the Triptan family of migraine medication. After going through a few different ones, I found Imitrex to be an absolute life-saver. Whenever I feel one coming, I take 50mg and the migraine usually disappears within 30 minutes. If I wait a few hours to take it, the response time could be more like 90 minutes. With 10-15 migraines a month, Imitrex is essentially the only thing that allows me to function. I have not seen any real side effects.

February 24, 2014 2:27 AM
Review by ko80: User Rating:

sumatriptan for Migraine: This pill has completely changed my life I highly recommend it to anyone that suffers from migraines. As soon as you feel the symptoms you take it and it goes away in a half hour to an hour and if it doesn't you take another one and it will go away. I suffer from migraines and had to be in bed for sometime 2 days. This really works for me.

February 9, 2014 11:41 PM
Review by Caboose (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

sumatriptan for Migraine: Blood pressure increased from 132/80 at onset of migraine. After 1 sumatriptan it increased to 153/100. Not very effective at relieving throbbing pain, vomiting, pounding at back of eyes.

February 9, 2014 9:55 AM
Review by oliviers1: User Rating:

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Took my husband to doctor while suffering a severe migraine with vomiting which he has suffered from his whole life(1-2 a month to the point of vomiting). After not being able to keep down pills this was his only hope of relief. Had first injection at doctor's office and within 15 minutes he had relief and was even able to go in to work the same day. I am so happy there is something that cures his pain. He said the shot hurt but it was worth it. The cost is high but also worth it when he is in that much pain. We paid $200 with discount card for 6 injections. You can find the discount card on their website. HIGHLY RECOMMEND when nothing else has helped.

December 16, 2013 12:58 PM
Review by berlygirl (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: I have suffered from debilitating migraines for over 20 years. I feel like I have tried everything. Imitrex shots gave me my life back. After taking a shot I normally need to lay down for 15 min but then I feel great. I used to suffer for at least 3 days. I never had any side effects.

December 15, 2013 12:07 AM
Review by Nanas meds (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan) for Migraine: I have extremely bad migraines and have tried several different medicines. Imitrex stat dose injections have really been a lifesaver!

December 13, 2013 3:38 PM
Review by Debbie42: User Rating:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: This is a miracle for me. Cluster headaches would put me out of commission for 2 days. Imitrex gets rid of the intense pain of my eye feeling like it might pop out of my head! The first few times I took it I had side effects of the heavy feeling on my chest and in my muscles after 3x I can take with no side effects. I've only taken it 5x but still working great.

December 4, 2013 11:29 PM
Review by Shellsbabies: User Rating:

sumatriptan for Migraine: I have suffered from migraines since I was 16 and been put on several different medications. Right now I have been taking Topamax for over 4 yrs. and it has gotten to where it isn't working anymore. So my doctor gave me Imitrex injections. And they work wonders in getting rid of my headaches but the pain in my chest like something is reaching inside my chest and squeezing the life out of me and the heaviness and tingling sensations lasts for about 15-20 mins.

November 25, 2013 12:20 AM
Review by Amc12390: User Rating:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Works super fast and well. Gets rid of my migraines fast when I take with a Motrin 800, BUT......it makes me sweat buckets. I took it at work before my shift and 2 hours later my migraine was gone but I had sweated through 2 shirts and was visibly dripping. It was pretty bad. It does it every time I take it so I try not to use it if I can help it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 16, 2013 2:02 AM
Review by radarscott (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: I have taken Imitrex ever since it came out in the 90s. It works and I'll be forever grateful that it does. If you, like me, know what it was like to get migraines before Imitrex came out, you'll understand why I sing its praise.

November 9, 2013 9:15 PM
Review by CPhilly (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Alsuma (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Severe Migraines/Cluster Headaches: 8 years. Intensity/frequency varies. intensity is around 9-10(10 point scale) frequency is around 3 - 4 per week, some lasting 2 -3 days. I have tried many medications, most Triptans - Maxalt, Zomig, Relpax, Frova. Axert works well for me, but when it doesn't I use Alsuma Injection. It works like a Epipen injection you give yourself. Place the pen against your skin and push hard. There is a jolt, and then the needle point emerges and you keep it there for 5 seconds. The pain from the prick is not bad because the needle is small. The jolt is kinda scary. I have to brace myself, but way worth it. It WORKS. Some nausea, but not much other side effects. I usually go to sleep right after I take it.

September 23, 2013 1:02 PM
Review by jaqpink: User Rating:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: The only medication that works for my migraines, that last typically 3 days at a time, right side of my head, in my eye, down the back of my neck and upper back. I take the 100mg tablet, 1 every 12 hours, or when I feel it coming back on. Imitrex kicks in within 20 minutes of taking it. As close to instant relief as you can get. GREAT medication.

September 21, 2013 1:59 AM
Review by Mashimaro: User Rating:

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: It's quick acting but painful and it made me bruise and bleed a bit. It makes me feel nauseated and I vomited once, a few minutes after use. It also made me feel sleepy like my other migraine pills. This just acts quicker and makes you drowsy fast.

August 30, 2013 3:36 PM
Review by Migraineuse (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: The injection feels like a rubber band snapped on your skin. I recommend the abdomen over the thigh, much more comfortable. I only bleed slightly, and the site only bruised once. The triptan effect is fast and intense, you feel that rush of the migraine about to go away. It makes me sleepy, as sumatriptan always has, and I nap for less than 1/2 hour, then I am PAIN FREE. The nice thing is the triptan effect goes away as rapidly as it comes on, which is far better than the lingering "yuck" feeling with oral triptans. Not just pain reduction, not a lessening of the migraine - it is gone. It has reduced my sick and late days due to migraine from 9 days in 2012 to ZERO so far in 2013. Will never go without it again.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 17, 2013 1:01 PM
Review by The Axxeman (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

sumatriptan for Cluster Headaches: I've been dealing with episodes of cluster headaches for 30 years. Nothing has ever made a dent in the pain besides this and Zomig nasal spray. The slight pain of the injection is a very small price to pay to relieve the crushing pain of a cluster headache. For me the trick for both medicines is to catch it as early as possible, before the headache is full blown. I'm never more than a minute or two away from a dose. Besides feeling a little weak afterwards (which would have been worse with the headache anyway), so far I don't have any real side effects.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 8, 2013 1:21 AM
Review by Steveo2: User Rating:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Imitrex has truly been a miracle for me. I'm 36 and I've been having terrible headaches since as far back as I can remember. No over the counter medication ever made any difference in the pain at all. 5 years ago I was prescribed Imitrex and it has literally changed my life. It normally takes an hour or two for it to kick in for me, but when it does, it completely takes my headache away. I have never had any side effects either.

August 5, 2013 5:30 PM
Review by Sman1166: User Rating:

sumatriptan for Cluster Headaches: I'm 46 yrs old and was diagnosed with cluster headaches in my late 20's. I was prescribed sumatriptan last week due to my new spell which started 2 weeks ago, and the medicine is working great for me. When ones coming on, I take a 50mg pill, and it starts working within minutes. I feel and hear crackling noises in my head, as well as my nasal cavity and eye socket, and miraculously it starts to lift away. In some cases though I had to take a second pill because the first didn't work completely, but within 30 to 45 minutes I'm relaxed and pain free. Since they've taken Cafergot off the market I've been without any medicine at all, trying steroids my neurologist experimented with, which didn't work at all. Sumatriptan is working.

July 29, 2013 12:38 PM
Review by ByeByeMigraines (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: This is a miracle for migraines. Works within 5 minutes and migraine GONE. You will have energy and get on with your day. I am 43 yrs old and have suffered with migraines since teen. RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN TO YOUR DR AND ASK FOR THIS MEDICINE. SUFFER NO MORE.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 21, 2013 10:09 PM
Review by yludwig (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

sumatriptan for Migraine: I recently started taking Sumatriptan. It was ok at first. I took it whenever I felt a migraine coming on and it usually took care of most of my symptoms, some sensitivity to light and sounds continued. But for migraines at work (which I would get all the time) it is terrible because of the sleepiness. I often will have to try to fight all day at work just to stay awake.

July 3, 2013 5:45 PM
Review by xzamband: User Rating:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: I completely rely on Imitrex. Once I had this the day-long headaches are gone. I now know that what I used to call "sinus headaches" were migraines I had since a teenager, though not bad until into my 40s. My side effects are a little sleepiness and maybe some tiredness, but nothing compared to the debilitation of a migraine. However I am much more aggressive with eliminating triggers, particularly MSG and processed foods, and this helps. My better diet has reduced my need for Imitrex down to 2-3 times a month.

June 26, 2013 8:44 AM
Review by FarmMom (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

sumatriptan for Migraine: I have suffered migraines since I was in grade school (I'm now 45). My headaches used to come on in the late afternoon and put me in bed for the rest of the day but I would wake up next morning feeling ok. Now my headaches come on about 3-4 in the morning and last 2 days of non stop vomiting and pain. The doctor put me on Topamax daily but the side effects keep causing me to overheat in the Texas weather. The doctor just put me on sumatriptan 100mg and I just had an attack 2 days ago. I took 1 pill and it did nothing. 3 hours later I took a second dose and I still ended up in bed for 14 hours.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate