User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal, Imitrex Statdose, Sumavel DosePro, Zecuity

Learn more about Sumatriptan.

Cluster Headaches 39 reviews 34 medications

New Daily Persistent Headache 4 reviews 0 medications

7.2
Summary of Sumatriptan reviews 217 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Sumatriptan

For Migraine: "Sumatriptan tablet is very good within half an hour there a big difference. I take it with 2 pain killers and it works wonders. Cupping it very good for migraines I know a few people that have done cupping on there head n migraines the have gone."

shaz786 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 30, 2015

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have been getting migraines off and on since around the age of 16, and am now 25. Most of my migraines are due to my allergies during the spring/summer. But they seem to be even worse during the colder months. This medication works wonders for me. The only thing I seem to notice is a bit of dizziness after the medicene wears off. But I would much rather have a little dizziness rather than being bedridden, light/sound sensitivity, migraine, and nausea/vomiting."

joanie33 August 25, 2015

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I am 53 and have suffered migraines since high school. Nothing I could administer myself has ever worked even the tiniest bit. After going to my Dr for a Toradol shot he told me to try the Sumavel Dosepro injection. He told me it was far from painless. The injection feels like being stung by a bee, but is tolerable because you eventually get use to it. It is far better than laying in bed for three days in the dark and vomiting. It bruises and sometimes causes slight bleeding, but even with that and the injection pain...totally worth it. The first time I had an injection it took half an hour for relief, but now my headaches are gone in 5 minutes. It is a miracle drug for me. I love it. I pay $60 for a box of 6 and ins. pays $1,000."

Insomniacmom August 1, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "I've suffered from cluster headaches for the last 3 years since I was diagnosed with a growth on my pineal gland. Nothing worked until I was put under neurology science in York UK. I was put on verapamil tablets and also prednisolone to prevent and sumatriptan as a pain relief when I have an attack. I was close to drilling a hole on the side of my head before I was prescribed these meds. The problem is they are expensive, I am lucky and I have these prescribed under the NHS however they will not prescribe me more than 4 injections per week and sometimes I have these attaches every day sown times twice a day for 2 to 3 weeks. Sumitriptan is the best thing ever invented"

Hudo (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 31, 2015

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "This drug give me hallucinations And made my body tingle."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2015

For Migraine: "I take Sumatriptan for menstrual migraines and this medication has been an absolute lifesaver for me. If I take a 50 mg tablet when the migraine starts, I have 100% relief within 30 minutes. If I wait until the migraine is really bad then it takes about an hour to kick in. My migraines generally last 2 days and the first dose wears off in about 12 hours so I usually have to take another dose. The only side effects I experience are a slight head rush that goes away after about 10 minutes. I would recommend trying to take a nap after taking this medication which really helps."

SBeth July 20, 2015

For Migraine: "I took this medication as soon as I felt a migraine coming. It did not ease the pain. I was in bed from 5pm till 9am the next day. I was hoping I would get better results since it's very expensive."

Cttina June 20, 2015

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Saved my life. Nothing else worked. Other drugs intensified the headache. I much prefer the injection. Less of the drug is needed and the effective result occurs more quickly. Side effects - I can get night/sleep sweats and have "odd" dreams that do not otherwise occur."

RCCThatsme May 29, 2015

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: "Imatrex has helped me 100% with my cluster headaches. Certain foods trigger these painful headaches and even though I know most of the triggers and even though I try to avoid them its impossible to eat and not have at least one or two of these triggers in my food. My doctor tried me on several pain meds for these headaches but nothing worked. The headaches got so bad I was literally pulling my hair out and was thinking about suicide. Then my doctor gave me Imatrex. As long as I know I have access to Imatrex I am fine. I finally went to a wonderful neurologist who has been very patient in trying other meds to work with the Imatrex. I do take the generic of Imatrex."

DsisyInFlorida (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2015

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "From the moment I started taking Imitrex in 1996 it has worked wonderfully for me with probably only two or three occasions over the years where a headache has persistent . It is been my wonder drug. I do get very frequent migraines and take as little of it is possible but I will normally take 10 to 12 50mg tablets per month with few if any side effects."

Strbuk May 18, 2015

For New Daily Persistent Headache: "I've suffered with tension headache and migraine for years and nothing has ever really helped with the pain, until now. As soon as I feel one coming one I take one tablet and the pain is gone with 20/30 minutes. The only downside to using this medicine is the side effects I have. Hot flushes and a heavy burning sensation in my legs almost like growing pains. But I much rather the side effects than the headache."

Morgan1990 May 7, 2015

For Migraine: "This medication has changed my life. I have had migraine since I was age 17. My son lost a lot of time and attention from me because I used to be debilated for from early morning until about 7 pm. Only when my doctor prescribed Sumatriptan for me about 6 years ago I have got back quality of life. I thank from the bottom of my heart whoever invented this medication. Thankfully in UK we have the National Health Service which means I don't have to pay for the medication. I probably would find it hard to afford otherwise. I worry about all the people around the world who suffer migraine and do not have access to Sumatriptan. Forget all the wealth. Health is the true wealth for me. Thank you Sumatriptan."

Krishna lathia-james May 5, 2015

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I won't lie it hurts like being snapped with a wet towel tail, but not as much as my light sensitive migraines do. My daughter also suffers from migraines, and she's a big baby about pain but will take a dose. Before this my migraines would ruin my day. I would have to lay in the dark with a bucket and suffer, praying I could keep my oral medication down. Now I DosePro lay down for 30 minutes and I am back to normal. It literally has changed my life, anyone who suffers from migraines knows the feeling of a migraine building knowing that pain is coming and trying to head it off with oral Meds and then failing to stop it. The endless hours of horrific pain. Luckily my insurance covers it, but I'd buy it whatever the cost."

AMarz May 4, 2015

For Migraine: "Before taking the medication I had debilitating headaches which are horrible to begin with but adding 3 kids under the age of 6 it's a nightmare. Ever since I began taking them I'm function again within 30-40 mins. LIFE SAVER!!!"

Anonymous May 3, 2015

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I can't believe all the great ratings for this. Maybe my skin is just extremely sensitive, but this was the most painful injection I've ever had in my entire life. I choose though over belly, and I actually screamed so loudly I'm sure I scared everyone in the reception area. I was not at all prepared for it to hurt as much as it did. The unexpected sharp pain only made my headache worse, and even paired with a shot of Demerol my headache did not clear."

Headache Sally April 25, 2015

For Migraine: "The Sumatriptan gives me bad neck pain and pressure in my head that lasts for about 1-3 hours, but it takes the Migraine pain away and saves me a full two days of suffering!"

Moriachik (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2015

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I've been using Sumavel Dosepro and Sumavel pill form for over 3 years. The Dosepro has relieved/erased my migraine in less than 7 minutes 100% of the time. It's liquid gold in my opinion. The pill form is less effective 80% and takes up to 1hr."

Craigo25 April 10, 2015

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "3 days on medicine caused extreme muscle pains, tiredness and weakness. Also facial flushing, tingling, hot and cold flashes, blurred vision, malaise, increased urination, lack of concentration."

heavy painful head (taken for 10 years or more) April 2, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "I have been a cluster headache suffer for 25 years.....My Dad suffers as well....I remember him sitting in a chair day after day, night after night with no real relief. I never could understand or know how intense the attacks were until I started with mine...lucky my dad was prescribed Imitrex in the 90's at the beginning of mine... his words and mine are that this drug is a god send for us suffers.......My issue is now my insurance company will only approve 2 boxes of shots (4) per month. So my only way is to stock pile these 2 boxes every month until my next attack....well I'm out and now I wiil use coupons or any other way to purchase these on my own to try to save $ ...Sad UHC will not approve the number of shots needed for each episode"

GK - Florida (taken for 10 years or more) March 26, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "I can make the injections last by using only 1/3 a vial per cluster attack. I take the vial out of the auto injector and use a q-tip to press in the amount. After this I wait exactly 9 minutes and the headache is gone. I had a very hard time getting enough injections from my insurance to cover all the cluster headaches I was getting and this method helped me handle 3x more than I could before! I do feel my headache pain jumping from a 3 -> 10 immediately after injection. Taking the 100mg tablets does not cause this increase in pain, but the wait is about 25-30 mins for relief. Sometimes I can tell which headaches to use either the injection or pill for."

dr_darth (taken for 10 years or more) March 12, 2015

For Migraine: "I have suffered from migraines for many years, but menopause has made the headaches both more intense and frequent. The only medication that helps is Sumatriptan. Typically the headache is gone within 30 minutes although it usually gets a little worse before it gets better. There are side effects, most notably jaw pain, difficulty swallowing, and a "spacey" feeling, but honestly these are minor compared with the agony of a migraine. I love this medication and do not know how I would manage without it."

MonaLisa222 February 25, 2015

For Migraine: "This is the best medication I have tried for crippling migraines. As long as it is taken at the first sign of a true migraine, Imitrex completely takes away the pain and nausea but it does cause extreme drowsiness and the feelings of a hangover the next day (IMO both side effects are definitely better than a migraine!)"

lilbitofmadness (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 18, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "I was recently prescribed Imigran, the European version of Imitrex for Acute Cluster Headache, in the injection form pretty much life changing. I'd previously tried Oral Sumatriptan for Cluster Headaches but that just did not seem effective and once a full blown attack had started the pill did not seem to abort the headache. Injectable Sumatriptan though has proved to be a totally different thing and even when the pain is at its peak, once injected its probably 10 minutes maximum before the headache is gone, totally gone. I've suffered from Cluster Headaches for many years and only wish I'd tried this sooner, for me, it has been just brilliant. Having used it several times now have not had any side effects whatsoever, fantastic."

MartinVG (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2015

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: "I've suffered from cyclic vomiting for over 10 years and the only thing that brings me relief(I've suffered for over a week before with the intense vomiting and dibilitating migraines and had to be hospitalized due to dehydration and pain and panic attacks.)My GP actually prescribed me the injectable form and at the first sign I take an injection then usually wait 10 minutes and give myself a second injection and this medication has saved my life. "

Cyclic chick (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2015

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Thank you SCIENCE for this medication! My migraines used to immobilize me and now I finally have relief thanks to this med. Better living through modern science."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2015