User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal, Imitrex Statdose, Onzetra Xsail, Sumavel DosePro, Zecuity, Zembrace SymTouch

Learn more about Sumatriptan.

Cluster Headaches 46 reviews 34 medications

New Daily Persistent Headache 4 reviews 0 medications

7.2
Summary of Sumatriptan reviews 239 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Sumatriptan

For Cluster Headaches: "I've suffer from cluster migraine on and off for 10 years. They last about 1-3 hours everyday for 30-40 day and this happens usually once sometimes twice a year. When they first started doctors really didn't tell me much they about then 5 years ago I seen a new doctor he prescribe me Sumatriptan nasal spray it get rid of them in 10-20 min. I can not say enough good things about this drug it's really helped he get on with everyday life"

Brady27 January 29, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: "Pain would cease within 15 minutes."

Seeker0000000000000000001 January 28, 2016

For Migraine: "I took one pill at onset, then took a second pill after 2 hours of no relief, as directed. I spent a total of 5 hours puking and uncoordinated, except for the hour the 2nd pill knocked me out with drowsiness. My migraine never subsided and continued to rage in full force during and after the side effects. Will not take again."

Petrapos January 7, 2016

Zecuity (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I am a long time sufferer of frequent (chronic) migraines, up to 15+ a month. I have used sumatriptan since it became available, both in pill form and self-injection. Yesterday I tried the new patch “Zecuity” for the first time (and likely the last). The actual cost per patch is about $300.00. The packaging is ridiculous: a box overnight delivered which was about two feet square with a weight of about 15 pounds. It contained a large, thick styrofoam container, six special, red “PureTemp Bricks”, designed to keep the drug at room temperature (it must be kept between 68 it 77 degrees Fahrenheit–NOT refrigerated), and a box of four patches. The patches themselves contain the medication, but also the “release/delivery” system which includes a computer chip, the red light to indicate activation and completion of medication delivery (four hours–then the light turns off and patch can be removed) and two lithium-manganese dioxide batteries (perchlorate material), which are considered TOXIC WASTE by the federal government and cannot be thrown away in the regular trash. Instructions say to contact your local authorities to inquire how to properly (and legally) dispose of the used patches. The above in and of itself should give most people pause as to whether this is all worth it. But, as anyone who is suffering from a migraine will tell you, the pain and other symptoms are so bad you feel like you’d try practically anything. So, hey, even though this is the same drug, maybe this fancy delivery system is the magic relief we have been searching for. Personally, sumatriptan lessons the duration and severity of my migraines but has never “relieved’ them. It may for some, but not for me. Other than the powerful narcotics I take for other chronic pain, it’s the only other thing that helps at all. Of course, there are strict limits on the number of times it can be used per month for safety reasons, so I can only use it for my worst migraines. The limit on the patches: no more than four per month. So, okay, I decide to give them a try. I followed all of the (somewhat detailed and involved) instructions and “activate it”, apply it, and push the “start” button and the little red light comes on. Within a few minutes, I start to feel a tingling, itchy, burning sensation, though not too bad and certainly not unbearable, or even anything as bad as the pain of the migraine. Within about five minutes, the gel (I assume the medication), starts to ooze out the sides of the patch, making a sticky mess and of course causing the adhesive of the patch to stop working and the thing starts to practically fall off. Okay, the directions say if there are problems with the patch staying in place to use medical tape. So I use medical tape. All around the entire patch I use medical tape. Five minutes later, even the medical tape starts to come loose due to the ozzing gel, so I apply even more tape, a lot of tape. I am also concerned that there is more medicine sticking to the tape than being absorbed into my body. I also only feel, very slightly, any effect of the sumatriptan. I felt a mild burning sensation the entire time the patch was on, as well as red, irritated, itchy, rashy skin upon removal. Oh yeah, and now what the heck do I do with this environmentally hazardous medical waste? Are most users really going to properly dispose of these things? As far a headache relief, obviously intramuscular injection is a quicker way of getting this drug into your body, to provide whatever amount of relief you are going to get from it as quickly as possible. Another consideration: my health insurance required Prior Approval to cover the patches, part of which was a statement from me and my doctor that the other forms of ingestion of sumatriptan (pill, self-injection, intranasal spray) were inadequate and that I required the patches. When I found that out, I refused and told my doctor to do the same. I had little faith that a 4-hour patch of the same drug would work better than a 5 second injection, and I did not want to give up my ability to keep receiving the injections. The drug company provided the one month free trial (four patches), so I agreed to try them. Several years ago, I remember how happy I was when Imetrix finally went generic and I was able to obtain sumatriptan much cheaper. It saved me (and my insurance company) a lot of money. I don’t really want to give that up either. So, I suppose that there are people who may find these patches amazing and effective, especially those who for whatever reason are unable or unwilling to use the self-injections. For me however, considering all of the factors above, I think I’ll stick with the injectable (pun intended), and sometimes the pills, as I don’t like to carry the auto-injections around in my purse (I already have to carry an epipen with me…). I wish the best to other migraine sufferers; perhaps the patches will give them the relief they seek. For me however, they are not the answer."

Linda H. (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2015

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have been suffering from migraine's since around 16 and now at 36 although they have became less frequent over the years. They are horrible as I usually am out for the entire day bedridden in a dark room. I have always been very paranoid to try a actual migraine medicine so have taken vicodin for the pain. I recently had a migraine at work and decided to try a imitrex my doctor prescribed me. I was nervous to try it but am so happy I did. I waited a few minutes of having the migraine before I took it but it relieved me of my migraine within 30 minutes. I did experience some effects like muscle stiffness in my neck, tightness in my face and a burning feeling in my nose and forehead for about a hour but I'll take that any day over a migraine."

one man down then back up December 22, 2015

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Helpless migraine victim for 20 years. My Dr. Recommended imitrex, so I took it. I took one 100mg, it tasted horrible, I had an upset stomach for almost 4 hours. I did get a heartburn feeling in my chest, hotflash, mood swings but my Migraine disappeared. I will speak to my neurologist regarding my side effects. I would consider using imitrex again in the future."

Mother of 6 December 11, 2015

For Migraine: "I've used sumatriptan for about 2 years to treat my migraines that I've had since I was 10. They're mostly period and stress related headaches. Nothing had ever helped and I'm excited that I can finally get on with my life without laying bed for days suffering in pain. It works pretty quickly- 10 or 15 minutes after I take the medication. It's a life saver. It does make my extremities tingly and sensitive to heat and cold. But overall I'm thankful to have an option."

RadsYra (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 29, 2015

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "The medication itself is effective and clears a migraine in about 10 minutes. However, my pen always breaks eventually and sometimes my replacement pens are faulty as well. I have a reserve of the medication, because I have been unable to take it. They need to design a better injection system."

COliver November 22, 2015

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "My 1st migraine experience at 10yrs old landed me in the emergency room. Finally in my 30s after decades of wasted time, pain & frustration I was introduced to imitrex injections; I call this the miracle drug. I'm fortunate to have medical coverage. The weather (mainly) affects my migraines. I also work a stressful job with shift work. I'm now 44 and although I still attempt prevention and alternative methods Nothing cures my migraines except the injections."

Weatherworn (taken for 10 years or more) November 21, 2015

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: "Had clusters 37 years now. I've tried literally EVERYTHING out there. The only thing that works for immediate relief is imitrex injections. If med takes too long (nasal or pill), it simply doesn't work. Gabapentin (sp) regime should be started immediately, they eventually stop the nerve from spasms. Imitrex is now available generic (sumatriptan), however, still expensive. I pay $75/shot only available as a two-pack."

tinawithclusters (taken for 10 years or more) November 14, 2015

For Migraine: "This RX did not work for me. My migraine went from a 10 pain level to a 9 after I took it."

Bellaboo1122 (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2015

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "After 20+ years of taking this medicine it has lead up to hair thinning out severely, full body muscle pain and weakness as a side effect and a possible stroke. It works to get rid of the migraine but this what happens when you take it long term."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) November 6, 2015

For Migraine: "I have been suffering from migraines for over 20 years. My migraines are hormonal but also stress related. First time I took sumatriptan I couldn't believe how effective it was. My migraine disappeared in only 15 minutes and I was able to live my life as a "normal" person instead of lying on bed all day. Unfortunately the magic only lasted a few times. I realised every time I had a migraine it took longer and longer for the drug to act. And also my migraines were more frequent since I began using sumatriptan. I stopped taking this triptan and my doctor suggested another one (zolmitriptan) which is working really well for me and I only have 1 migraine per month now."

Voluntaryist (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "I swear Sumatriptan injections saved my life. My new best friend. I never leave home without them."

crooksnanny (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 19, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "Sumatriptan is a life changer. I've suffered from cluster headaches for 24 years having one at least once a week and NOTHING has ever come close to helping. Now I haven't had one in 3 months. I take a pill when I feel a cluster headache coming which successfully aborts it. Even hours into a full blown attack I took a pill and relieved 95% of the pain. Another great thing? My insurance covers it 100%. Even better: it is only $16 for 9 pills (you can break them in half and have 18) without insurance."

Dan D (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2015

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Imitrex shot is a very effective drug for me. Have had migraines for decades and was introduced to imitrex after 2 years of having blinding aura then 2 days of suffering in a dark room. Imitrex shot works within minutes. No pain killer needed. Once I give myself the shot, I lay down for about an hour. Only issues are brief fatigue, nausea for a few minutes and a strange prickly sensation in the top of my head which goes away quickly."

Minette52 (taken for 10 years or more) October 14, 2015

For Migraine: "So far this medications does help but it makes me very sleepy. Generally when I get a bad migraine its debilitating. I usually leave work and in bed for the rest of the day. So far I've taken this medication twice and it helps rid the migraine and/or lessens it to a dull headache, then I need to rest, stay hydrated, no lights, noise or strong smells"

Headache sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 12, 2015

For Migraine: "I've been a migraine sufferer since I was 10 years old. My Dr prescribed sumatriptan 2 years ago and honestly now I can't live without it I take one tablet and within 20 mins the migraine is completely gone. Side effects for me are hot flushes for a few hrs and I have really achy heavy joints the next day anybody else get these side effects?"

Billyjo2103 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 9, 2015

For Cluster Headaches: "Sumatriptan nasal spray 15 years sufferer 35 y old only got sumatriptan lately and it's working well headaches would last 90 mins to 3 hrs now with the nasal spray 20 mins and its completely gone don't leave home without it now"

Shino September 28, 2015

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have tried this medication in the past and it did not work for me, but now after revisiting the drug with years of migraines of no relief I have found that it works well for me now. I tend to have extreme nausea and vomiting with my severe headaches, so I also use the nasal spay form (depending on how nauseated I am) They both work well if taken early in the migraine. I did however have severe reaction the first 2-3 times taking it (nausea, vomiting, abdominal upset) but I forced myself to take it again. Now my experience is "head tightening" which I see can be common with this drug and after about 15 minutes of this, I feel a "loosening" and finally relief. I have not experienced any other symptoms with tablet form."

Vanessa McC September 18, 2015

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Love this med. The only issue I have is that I get a hot flash/face flushing feeling 10 minutes after taking it. It stops 10 min later. It is well worth having the migraine gone all day!"

Kooski September 16, 2015

Imitrex Nasal (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: "Works in about 15 minutes for me which is about twice as fast as the pill form. Creates a bad taste but well worth it for the faster speed."

Max Power September 10, 2015

For Migraine: "Sumatriptan tablet is very good within half an hour there a big difference. I take it with 2 pain killers and it works wonders. Cupping it very good for migraines I know a few people that have done cupping on there head n migraines the have gone."

shaz786 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 30, 2015

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have been getting migraines off and on since around the age of 16, and am now 25. Most of my migraines are due to my allergies during the spring/summer. But they seem to be even worse during the colder months. This medication works wonders for me. The only thing I seem to notice is a bit of dizziness after the medicene wears off. But I would much rather have a little dizziness rather than being bedridden, light/sound sensitivity, migraine, and nausea/vomiting."

joanie33 August 25, 2015

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I am 53 and have suffered migraines since high school. Nothing I could administer myself has ever worked even the tiniest bit. After going to my Dr for a Toradol shot he told me to try the Sumavel Dosepro injection. He told me it was far from painless. The injection feels like being stung by a bee, but is tolerable because you eventually get use to it. It is far better than laying in bed for three days in the dark and vomiting. It bruises and sometimes causes slight bleeding, but even with that and the injection pain...totally worth it. The first time I had an injection it took half an hour for relief, but now my headaches are gone in 5 minutes. It is a miracle drug for me. I love it. I pay $60 for a box of 6 and ins. pays $1,000."

Insomniacmom August 1, 2015