User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal, Imitrex Statdose, Onzetra Xsail, Sumavel DosePro, Zecuity, Zembrace SymTouch

Learn more about Sumatriptan.

Cluster Headaches 50 reviews 35 medications

New Daily Persistent Headache 4 reviews 0 medications

7.2
Summary of Sumatriptan reviews 255 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Sumatriptan

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I was diagnosed with severe painful and silent migraines a few months ago, but the neurologist said I've most likely suffered from silent migraines my entire life (I'm 17 by the way), but recently they have started getting painful. Imitrex was the first medication I was put on. I was excited to start feeling better, but imitrex made me feel awful. I suffer from extreme nausea before, during and after a migraine and it's completely life ruining. I've tried imitrex many times, in hopes of it finally working. Every time I'd take it, I'd get a horrible burning in my throat, and my migraine would worsen. It didn't help nausea, aura, pain or any other migraine symptoms I suffer from. I've recently been put on another medication that'll hopefully work."

SleepyLilV (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

Zecuity (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have had migraine for 20 years and been on every migraine medicine. I am diagnosed as chronic with 15 or more migraine days a month. My doctor is very progressive with new treatments and offered zecuity because it is considered to be very clean as far as triptan side effects and no hangover or fog. I was properly trained on how to use the medicine with insuring a good seal, since it is a patch and forewarned that it can be uncomfortable the first 5 or 10 minutes. I put it on, ensuring a good seal. Activated the red LED button. It was prickly for about 10 minutes. Annoying, but not painful. My migraine was completely gone in 30 minutes. I had redness at the active site of delivery but it went away in a few days. No other side effects."

20 year migraineur April 28, 2016

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: "Followed the instructions. Two (2) of the shots were defective (Out of 6). One was harmless and did not fire which only cost me $100 for the non performing shot. The other did nothing until it fired accidentally into my eye. Seeking regulatory and legal help."

Suffering from defective proud (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

For Cluster Headaches: "I first experienced cluster headaches at age 18 in the spring, several times a day for about a month, just suffered through with OTC pain meds which did nothing. Finally got to see a neurologist in my 30s who was awesome, diagnosed as classic cluster headache, got on verapamil prophilaxis (80mg x3/day) which I take when "shadows" start coming, also oxygen (10-12L/min) for aborting attack. This has been working but if start oxygen too late then attack progresses. I tried sumatriptan injection for the first time when oxygen failed and attack was in full swing, tried sumatryptan injection (6mg s.c.)...amazing, all symptoms were gone within 10minutes!! I will keep trying the oxygen, but will definitely use sumatryptan as back-up!"

headache dad (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I don't like it at all. Have taken 2 times and causes me to yawn alot and jaw tightness. Makes me feel really weird."

BarbsA April 4, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: "Well I was having really bad cluster headaches, I took an imitrex for the first time. With in 15 mins I was projectile vomiting and having bad stomach cramps. The taste stayed in my mouth for hours. My headache has went down some but it was still there."

Scarleezzy (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2016

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "If you are a migraine sufferer this is a MIRACLE DRUG! Yes the "injection" is sort of painful (for like 10 secs) and I only experienced a little soreness in the spot afterwards.. But within 15 mins of the injection my DEBILITATING MIGRAINE WITH NAUSEA AND BLURRED VISION WAS GONE! I was able to head to work and put in a full 10 hours as normal! No nausea, no follow up dosage, no pills, just a little sleepiness. I'm a 35 yr old female that suffers from 1-4 migraines with vomiting, light sensitivity, blurred vision per month. Yes, they are expensive, but I am lucky enough to have great insurance coverage thru my employer and only pay $15 per mon for 6 of these"

Heavy Head (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2016

Zecuity (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I saw the ad for Zecuity in a magazine a month or so ago. The whole process to get the patches takes a long time, 3 weeks to a month or more. I have migraines maybe every other month, but they can be severe with vomiting lasting two days not counting the migraine hangover afterwards. I usually take narcotics and have Zofran for the nausea, but if I wake up with a full blown migraine the meds don't stay down even with the Zofran The patch is complicated to set up, but it worked. Sunday I had a migraine, it didn't work as well and I have a raised red circular welt on my arm that itches like anything. I am going to the doctor tomorrow so I'll check it out with him. I hope it works better the next time."

Rhode Island Red March 29, 2016

For Migraine: "I've been using Sumatriptan for my menstrual migraines for 5 years or so now, I'm 24 years old. Although I get several of the listed side effects (muscle weakness, tingling & burning sensation, drowsiness to name a few), it works so quickly at getting rid of the pain I couldn't be without it now. The side effects only last an hour or so, so it's completely worth it."

Quartz24 March 27, 2016

For Migraine: "I took one Sumatriptan tablet when the migraine aura began. I found that it upset my stomach and wasn't as effective for headache pain as Excedrin Migraine."

Jim in California (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2016

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have had migraines since the age of 6, I have tried everything. I unfortunately need pain medication about 10% of the time. I sure wish I would have had these injections years ago. They works most of the time. I have very severe pain and nausea and it does help."

franny124 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 22, 2016

For Migraine: "I've been experiencing migraines ever since I was around 14 or 15. When I went on birth control they started getting a little better except for when I was either really stressed or on my period, both times when they are really bad. I talked to my doctor about it and she put me on imatrex (which I tried for the first time when I was 15 when my sister took it) and it works wonders! It alleviates the headache in about 30-45 minutes. The thing I've noticed that is it's best when you first start to feel a migraine coming on, not when you're migraine is already unbearable. I've also experienced some minor side affects like drowsiness and some minor stomach pains (usually only if i take it on an empty stomach) but other than that I've had no issue"

struggling student (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 10, 2016

For Migraine: "I started by taking imitrex pills, and now am using the nasal spray, it works so much quicker! But I have the foul taste after taking it!"

24601 March 7, 2016

For Migraine: "Made me more sick."

Sydney_Alyssa (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2016

For Cluster Headaches: "I've suffer from cluster migraine on and off for 10 years. They last about 1-3 hours everyday for 30-40 day and this happens usually once sometimes twice a year. When they first started doctors really didn't tell me much they about then 5 years ago I seen a new doctor he prescribe me Sumatriptan nasal spray it get rid of them in 10-20 min. I can not say enough good things about this drug it's really helped he get on with everyday life"

Brady27 January 29, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: "Pain would cease within 15 minutes."

Seeker0000000000000000001 January 28, 2016

For Cluster Headaches: "Straight at onset injected and pain gone within a matter of minutes. Where have you been all my life!?"

ChrisMani January 26, 2016

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I'm only 16 and I was prescribed it at 15 and told only to take it when my migraines were unbearable. Every time I have taken it I usually get a really sick feeling, such as hot flashes, weakness, nausea, and dizzy. There's always like a feeling that my brain is being frozen over from where the migraine mostly is. But I always take it and go straight to sleep except for last night. I stayed up and I was seeing and hearing things that weren't there, I couldn't do simple tasks, I forgot where my room was after my boyfriend told me to drink some water, I cried over everything, I was scared of everything. Staying awake for me was horrifying."

smtripp January 12, 2016

For Migraine: "I took one pill at onset, then took a second pill after 2 hours of no relief, as directed. I spent a total of 5 hours puking and uncoordinated, except for the hour the 2nd pill knocked me out with drowsiness. My migraine never subsided and continued to rage in full force during and after the side effects. Will not take again."

Petrapos January 7, 2016

Zecuity (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I am a long time sufferer of frequent (chronic) migraines, up to 15+ a month. I have used sumatriptan since it became available, both in pill form and self-injection. Yesterday I tried the new patch “Zecuity” for the first time (and likely the last). The actual cost per patch is about $300.00. The packaging is ridiculous: a box overnight delivered which was about two feet square with a weight of about 15 pounds. It contained a large, thick styrofoam container, six special, red “PureTemp Bricks”, designed to keep the drug at room temperature (it must be kept between 68 it 77 degrees Fahrenheit–NOT refrigerated), and a box of four patches. The patches themselves contain the medication, but also the “release/delivery” system which includes a computer chip, the red light to indicate activation and completion of medication delivery (four hours–then the light turns off and patch can be removed) and two lithium-manganese dioxide batteries (perchlorate material), which are considered TOXIC WASTE by the federal government and cannot be thrown away in the regular trash. Instructions say to contact your local authorities to inquire how to properly (and legally) dispose of the used patches. The above in and of itself should give most people pause as to whether this is all worth it. But, as anyone who is suffering from a migraine will tell you, the pain and other symptoms are so bad you feel like you’d try practically anything. So, hey, even though this is the same drug, maybe this fancy delivery system is the magic relief we have been searching for. Personally, sumatriptan lessons the duration and severity of my migraines but has never “relieved’ them. It may for some, but not for me. Other than the powerful narcotics I take for other chronic pain, it’s the only other thing that helps at all. Of course, there are strict limits on the number of times it can be used per month for safety reasons, so I can only use it for my worst migraines. The limit on the patches: no more than four per month. So, okay, I decide to give them a try. I followed all of the (somewhat detailed and involved) instructions and “activate it”, apply it, and push the “start” button and the little red light comes on. Within a few minutes, I start to feel a tingling, itchy, burning sensation, though not too bad and certainly not unbearable, or even anything as bad as the pain of the migraine. Within about five minutes, the gel (I assume the medication), starts to ooze out the sides of the patch, making a sticky mess and of course causing the adhesive of the patch to stop working and the thing starts to practically fall off. Okay, the directions say if there are problems with the patch staying in place to use medical tape. So I use medical tape. All around the entire patch I use medical tape. Five minutes later, even the medical tape starts to come loose due to the ozzing gel, so I apply even more tape, a lot of tape. I am also concerned that there is more medicine sticking to the tape than being absorbed into my body. I also only feel, very slightly, any effect of the sumatriptan. I felt a mild burning sensation the entire time the patch was on, as well as red, irritated, itchy, rashy skin upon removal. Oh yeah, and now what the heck do I do with this environmentally hazardous medical waste? Are most users really going to properly dispose of these things? As far a headache relief, obviously intramuscular injection is a quicker way of getting this drug into your body, to provide whatever amount of relief you are going to get from it as quickly as possible. Another consideration: my health insurance required Prior Approval to cover the patches, part of which was a statement from me and my doctor that the other forms of ingestion of sumatriptan (pill, self-injection, intranasal spray) were inadequate and that I required the patches. When I found that out, I refused and told my doctor to do the same. I had little faith that a 4-hour patch of the same drug would work better than a 5 second injection, and I did not want to give up my ability to keep receiving the injections. The drug company provided the one month free trial (four patches), so I agreed to try them. Several years ago, I remember how happy I was when Imetrix finally went generic and I was able to obtain sumatriptan much cheaper. It saved me (and my insurance company) a lot of money. I don’t really want to give that up either. So, I suppose that there are people who may find these patches amazing and effective, especially those who for whatever reason are unable or unwilling to use the self-injections. For me however, considering all of the factors above, I think I’ll stick with the injectable (pun intended), and sometimes the pills, as I don’t like to carry the auto-injections around in my purse (I already have to carry an epipen with me…). I wish the best to other migraine sufferers; perhaps the patches will give them the relief they seek. For me however, they are not the answer."

Linda H. (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2015

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "I have been suffering from migraine's since around 16 and now at 36 although they have became less frequent over the years. They are horrible as I usually am out for the entire day bedridden in a dark room. I have always been very paranoid to try a actual migraine medicine so have taken vicodin for the pain. I recently had a migraine at work and decided to try a imitrex my doctor prescribed me. I was nervous to try it but am so happy I did. I waited a few minutes of having the migraine before I took it but it relieved me of my migraine within 30 minutes. I did experience some effects like muscle stiffness in my neck, tightness in my face and a burning feeling in my nose and forehead for about a hour but I'll take that any day over a migraine."

one man down then back up December 22, 2015

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "Helpless migraine victim for 20 years. My Dr. Recommended imitrex, so I took it. I took one 100mg, it tasted horrible, I had an upset stomach for almost 4 hours. I did get a heartburn feeling in my chest, hotflash, mood swings but my Migraine disappeared. I will speak to my neurologist regarding my side effects. I would consider using imitrex again in the future."

Mother of 6 December 11, 2015

For Migraine: "I've used sumatriptan for about 2 years to treat my migraines that I've had since I was 10. They're mostly period and stress related headaches. Nothing had ever helped and I'm excited that I can finally get on with my life without laying bed for days suffering in pain. It works pretty quickly- 10 or 15 minutes after I take the medication. It's a life saver. It does make my extremities tingly and sensitive to heat and cold. But overall I'm thankful to have an option."

RadsYra (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 29, 2015

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "The medication itself is effective and clears a migraine in about 10 minutes. However, my pen always breaks eventually and sometimes my replacement pens are faulty as well. I have a reserve of the medication, because I have been unable to take it. They need to design a better injection system."

COliver November 22, 2015

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan) for Migraine: "My 1st migraine experience at 10yrs old landed me in the emergency room. Finally in my 30s after decades of wasted time, pain & frustration I was introduced to imitrex injections; I call this the miracle drug. I'm fortunate to have medical coverage. The weather (mainly) affects my migraines. I also work a stressful job with shift work. I'm now 44 and although I still attempt prevention and alternative methods Nothing cures my migraines except the injections."

Weatherworn (taken for 10 years or more) November 21, 2015