Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal, Imitrex Statdose, Sumavel DosePro, Zecuity

Learn more about Sumatriptan.

Cluster Headaches 34 reviews 35 medications

6.7
Summary of Sumatriptan reviews 199 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Sumatriptan

Review by Moriachik (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine: The Sumatriptan gives me bad neck pain and pressure in my head that lasts for about 1-3 hours, but it takes the Migraine pain away and saves me a full two days of suffering!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 13, 2015 4:42 PM

Review by Craigo25:

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: I've been using Sumavel Dosepro and Sumavel pill form for over 3 years. The Dosepro has relieved/erased my migraine in less than 7 minutes 100% of the time. It's liquid gold in my opinion. The pill form is less effective 80% and takes up to 1hr.

April 10, 2015 11:47 AM

Review by heavy painful head (taken for 10 years or more):

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: 3 days on medicine caused extreme muscle pains, tiredness and weakness. Also facial flushing, tingling, hot and cold flashes, blurred vision, malaise, increased urination, lack of concentration.

April 2, 2015 11:10 AM

Review by MonaLisa222:

For Migraine: I have suffered from migraines for many years, but menopause has made the headaches both more intense and frequent. The only medication that helps is Sumatriptan. Typically the headache is gone within 30 minutes although it usually gets a little worse before it gets better. There are side effects, most notably jaw pain, difficulty swallowing, and a "spacey" feeling, but honestly these are minor compared with the agony of a migraine. I love this medication and do not know how I would manage without it.

February 25, 2015 5:14 PM

Review by lilbitofmadness (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Migraine: This is the best medication I have tried for crippling migraines. As long as it is taken at the first sign of a true migraine, Imitrex completely takes away the pain and nausea but it does cause extreme drowsiness and the feelings of a hangover the next day (IMO both side effects are definitely better than a migraine!)

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 18, 2015 10:54 PM

Review by Cyclic chick (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: I've suffered from cyclic vomiting for over 10 years and the only thing that brings me relief(I've suffered for over a week before with the intense vomiting and dibilitating migraines and had to be hospitalized due to dehydration and pain and panic attacks.)My GP actually prescribed me the injectable form and at the first sign I take an injection then usually wait 10 minutes and give myself a second injection and this medication has saved my life.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 5, 2015 11:22 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Thank you SCIENCE for this medication! My migraines used to immobilize me and now I finally have relief thanks to this med. Better living through modern science.

January 24, 2015 2:31 PM

Review by Ilukasue (taken for 10 years or more):

For Migraine: I have had debilitating migraines since I was a very young child (diagnosed at 5, first week of Primary school). My childhood is filled with memories of regular migraines and nothing would touch them. I started taking Sumatriptan in 1994 and my life changed dramatically for the better.If taken at the first sign of a migraine it works brilliantly. I have taken regularly for 20 years ( usually 2-3 tabs per week depending on frequency of migraine). I am wondering if anyone else has taken long-term and wonder if any other side effects occur?

January 20, 2015 1:26 AM

Review by CatieB1987 (taken for less than 1 month):

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Works well for my migraines. First couple of times taking it, caused my jaw to feel tight, and makes me pretty sleepy.

January 18, 2015 7:26 PM

Review by artistic (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine: I've had migraines as young as 11 years old. It was horrible every time I got one. I was too young to understand that it was a migraine. At last when I was 17 years old I began reading more about migraines and knew that I had them. The first time ever taking Sumatriptan succinate I felt so relieved and almost migraine free. Sometimes I feel tenderness in my jaw and neck, but after 30 mins I feel great.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2015 12:40 AM

Review by dezjrrdrs (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Cluster Headaches: The first time I used the Dosepro, I was leary. Within 10 minutes I was not only relieved of my migraine, but it was the most clear headed I felt in forever. The second dose I took, I was not near my medicine and I had a full blown migraine, so it wasn't as good but a very close second. I love this. Freedom to make plans and not have to worry about cancelling due to migraine. Yeah!

December 31, 2014 12:51 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine: I've had migraines (about 4-6 times a month) since early puberty, and after a few hospital visits my mother finally took me to a specialist and got a sumatriptan prescription. It has greatly improved my quality of life. It kicks in after about 40 minutes for me (longer than advertised, but I'm on a small dosage due to my small frame). It does leave me feeling heavy and numb, and it has made me nauseated on occasion. It's uncomfortable, but much better than a migraine.

December 5, 2014 4:40 PM

Review by MuddyNatureGirl:

For Migraine: After three solid weeks with vestibular migraine, tinnitis, nausea, and no sleep, I have finally found what works. Mild dizziness, especially when bending, tinnitis is there, no dopey feeling, and I am finally relaxed! I tried EVERYTHING else...Topomax was a disaster, B12 shot, heat/cold, alcohol, no alcohol, diet, sleep, Toradol, Benedryl shot, Phenergan only way to sleep and not be sick!! Thank goodness - too bad I have no insurance and it costs A FORTUNE.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2014 5:57 PM

Review by clinohumite:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Works the best if you only take it once or twice a month. I've had problems with rebound headaches, even when I take this with sodium naproxen. It can also leave me feeling a bit groggy.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 19, 2014 1:07 AM

Review by TAnne (taken for less than 1 month):

For New Daily Persistent Headache: Haven't seen many people with my experience so I appreciate Housewifeandmothers input below. Maybe my problem is also with generic sumatriptan. Maybe my dose at 100mg is too high? But 3 out of 4 times after taking it I became horribly nauseous and vomited the pill up within 10 minutes of taking it. I'm afraid to ever go near it again! Still looking for relief from my daily crippling headaches. Vicodin and Hydrocodone seem to be the only thing to relieve my pain. Started taking magnesium supplements as well, but no improvement yet. But FYI, I think my experience is uncommon.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2014 6:04 PM

Review by headacher1000:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Great. I've taken it twice and didn't experience any major side effects. Kicked in after 20-30 minutes, was fully ready to go at 60 minutes after. That said I did experience some side effects including: -mild heartburn-like feeling during the first 1-2 hours after taking it. -moderate heaviness/tightness in my jaw that lasted just about 12 hours after taking. -some drowsiness -some mild neck pain (which could have been the migraine) -a tightness/tingling (very mild) in my forearms. But I'm free and clear of the headache. Definitely plan on taking again

November 3, 2014 3:45 PM

Review by Jen H:

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Best migraine medicine I have ever used. The injection does hurt for a few seconds but the pain is gone as fast as it came. Within a few minutes I can feel the medicine rushing through my head. It feels very heavy and leaves me with a dizzy sensation. I usually need about an hour of sleep and then the migraine is gone completely. I suffer about three migraines a week and only need a second dose about once a month. Pretty effective if you ask me! I have noticed that if I am feeling nauseous already, the medicine intensifies this. I found that taking a sublingual anti nausea medicine a few minutes before the injection greatly reduces this side effect.

October 30, 2014 5:40 AM

Review by vick142:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Taken at the beginning of symptoms it stops the headache within 30 minutes.

October 23, 2014 8:43 PM

Review by dmags:

For Cluster Headaches: Cluster sufferer

October 20, 2014 7:50 PM

Review by housewifeandmother:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: My husband has always what's called prostrating attacks, which is a form of a migraine that leaves him in so much pain he can't function at all! The only medication that has ever worked on him is the Imitrex. This stuff is awesome! The only thing that is irritating is every time I get his prescription filled the pharmacist try to give him the Sumatriptan (the generic version) which makes him so sick he will throw up nonstop for hours. So I always have to tell them he needs the name brand, and I have gotten into many arguments with pharmacists trying to tell me it's the same thing. IT'S NOT!!!! When my husband takes Imitrex his migraine is gone within minutes, he takes a Sumatriptan and I feel like I need to take him to a hospital.

September 22, 2014 6:04 PM

Review by myNameTaken2:

For Migraine: I would NOT have a life without it! I've tried everything. Nothing works for me but this! I've been on it 11 years. I started out with pen injections, then nose spray...pill suits me best! I don't wish these on anyone! Migraines are horrible.

September 14, 2014 4:30 PM

Review by Piper5:

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Imitrex is truly a miracle for me. It has given me my life back!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2014 11:39 AM

Review by SGG:

For Migraine: I have had migraines since my late teens. I used to take Fiornal, but discovered Imitrex which has been a life saver. I get migraines with aura, followed by pain. I use the nasal Imitrex and I find that if I take Imitrex at the onset of my vision loss, I am usually able to stop the vision problem as well as stop the migraine within 30 minutes. This medication has been a lifesaver for me. The only side effect with the nasal spray for me is that it tastes HORRIBLE in the back of my throat and it makes me a bit sickly feeling, but all in all, I'd rather have it than not.

August 20, 2014 1:41 PM

Review by anonymous 30's female (taken for less than 1 month):

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Imitrex did not work for me. I have not reached the vomiting stage of a migraine in years thanks to other medications. Imitrex did nothing to stop the progression of my migraine. I had to leave work in the middle of the afternoon, feeling as if I would vomit at my desk, in the hallway, in the elevator, walking to the parking garage, the entire way. Aleve works better than this stuff, and Aleve only keeps nausea at bay, but does not cure migraines for me.

August 4, 2014 7:17 PM

Review by s1ppi (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: I have had migraines since my teens and until I was prescribed the Imitrex (Injectable), I suffered severely. I thank GOD for this medicine and can't imagine life without it.

July 16, 2014 10:24 AM