User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal, Imitrex Statdose, Sumavel DosePro, Zecuity

Learn more about Sumatriptan.

Cluster Headaches 33 reviews 35 medications

6.7
Summary of Sumatriptan reviews 188 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Sumatriptan

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine: I've had migraines (about 4-6 times a month) since early puberty, and after a few hospital visits my mother finally took me to a specialist and got a sumatriptan prescription. It has greatly improved my quality of life. It kicks in after about 40 minutes for me (longer than advertised, but I'm on a small dosage due to my small frame). It does leave me feeling heavy and numb, and it has made me nauseated on occasion. It's uncomfortable, but much better than a migraine.

December 5, 2014 4:40 PM

Review by MuddyNatureGirl:

For Migraine: After three solid weeks with vestibular migraine, tinnitis, nausea, and no sleep, I have finally found what works. Mild dizziness, especially when bending, tinnitis is there, no dopey feeling, and I am finally relaxed! I tried EVERYTHING else...Topomax was a disaster, B12 shot, heat/cold, alcohol, no alcohol, diet, sleep, Toradol, Benedryl shot, Phenergan only way to sleep and not be sick!! Thank goodness - too bad I have no insurance and it costs A FORTUNE.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 21, 2014 5:57 PM

Review by clinohumite:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Works the best if you only take it once or twice a month. I've had problems with rebound headaches, even when I take this with sodium naproxen. It can also leave me feeling a bit groggy.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 19, 2014 1:07 AM

Review by TAnne (taken for less than 1 month):

For New Daily Persistent Headache: Haven't seen many people with my experience so I appreciate Housewifeandmothers input below. Maybe my problem is also with generic sumatriptan. Maybe my dose at 100mg is too high? But 3 out of 4 times after taking it I became horribly nauseous and vomited the pill up within 10 minutes of taking it. I'm afraid to ever go near it again! Still looking for relief from my daily crippling headaches. Vicodin and Hydrocodone seem to be the only thing to relieve my pain. Started taking magnesium supplements as well, but no improvement yet. But FYI, I think my experience is uncommon.

November 5, 2014 6:04 PM

Review by headacher1000:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Great. I've taken it twice and didn't experience any major side effects. Kicked in after 20-30 minutes, was fully ready to go at 60 minutes after. That said I did experience some side effects including: -mild heartburn-like feeling during the first 1-2 hours after taking it. -moderate heaviness/tightness in my jaw that lasted just about 12 hours after taking. -some drowsiness -some mild neck pain (which could have been the migraine) -a tightness/tingling (very mild) in my forearms. But I'm free and clear of the headache. Definitely plan on taking again

November 3, 2014 3:45 PM

Review by Jen H:

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Best migraine medicine I have ever used. The injection does hurt for a few seconds but the pain is gone as fast as it came. Within a few minutes I can feel the medicine rushing through my head. It feels very heavy and leaves me with a dizzy sensation. I usually need about an hour of sleep and then the migraine is gone completely. I suffer about three migraines a week and only need a second dose about once a month. Pretty effective if you ask me! I have noticed that if I am feeling nauseous already, the medicine intensifies this. I found that taking a sublingual anti nausea medicine a few minutes before the injection greatly reduces this side effect.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2014 5:40 AM

Review by vick142:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Taken at the beginning of symptoms it stops the headache within 30 minutes.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 8:43 PM

Review by dmags:

For Cluster Headaches: Cluster sufferer

October 20, 2014 7:50 PM

Review by housewifeandmother:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: My husband has always what's called prostrating attacks, which is a form of a migraine that leaves him in so much pain he can't function at all! The only medication that has ever worked on him is the Imitrex. This stuff is awesome! The only thing that is irritating is every time I get his prescription filled the pharmacist try to give him the Sumatriptan (the generic version) which makes him so sick he will throw up nonstop for hours. So I always have to tell them he needs the name brand, and I have gotten into many arguments with pharmacists trying to tell me it's the same thing. IT'S NOT!!!! When my husband takes Imitrex his migraine is gone within minutes, he takes a Sumatriptan and I feel like I need to take him to a hospital.

September 22, 2014 6:04 PM

Review by myNameTaken2:

For Migraine: I would NOT have a life without it! I've tried everything. Nothing works for me but this! I've been on it 11 years. I started out with pen injections, then nose spray...pill suits me best! I don't wish these on anyone! Migraines are horrible.

September 14, 2014 4:30 PM

Review by Piper5:

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Imitrex is truly a miracle for me. It has given me my life back!

August 28, 2014 11:39 AM

Review by SGG:

For Migraine: I have had migraines since my late teens. I used to take Fiornal, but discovered Imitrex which has been a life saver. I get migraines with aura, followed by pain. I use the nasal Imitrex and I find that if I take Imitrex at the onset of my vision loss, I am usually able to stop the vision problem as well as stop the migraine within 30 minutes. This medication has been a lifesaver for me. The only side effect with the nasal spray for me is that it tastes HORRIBLE in the back of my throat and it makes me a bit sickly feeling, but all in all, I'd rather have it than not.

August 20, 2014 1:41 PM

Review by anonymous 30's female (taken for less than 1 month):

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Imitrex did not work for me. I have not reached the vomiting stage of a migraine in years thanks to other medications. Imitrex did nothing to stop the progression of my migraine. I had to leave work in the middle of the afternoon, feeling as if I would vomit at my desk, in the hallway, in the elevator, walking to the parking garage, the entire way. Aleve works better than this stuff, and Aleve only keeps nausea at bay, but does not cure migraines for me.

August 4, 2014 7:17 PM

Review by s1ppi (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: I have had migraines since my teens and until I was prescribed the Imitrex (Injectable), I suffered severely. I thank GOD for this medicine and can't imagine life without it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2014 10:24 AM

Review by Cynhawk (taken for 10 years or more):

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: I have suffered from migraines all my life and I am now 57. I was prescribed Imitrex at age 39 and the first dose of 50mg gave me a tightness in my throat but it stopped the migraine. I suffered with them every day. I finally figured out that MSG in food was the biggest cause of the migraine. MSG is disguised by many names but I have eliminated a lot of food and with the help of Imitrex, I can live an almost normal life without a migraine. Imitrex sometimes makes me sleep a lot and other times I sleep for about 30 minutes and I'm fine. I praise the makers of Imitrex because nothing else would completely take the pain away!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 15, 2014 3:27 AM

Review by John ( Cluster Sufferer 35 yrs ):

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: Imitrex in any form is the Best med for Cluster headaches by far. High flow oxygen at first twinge, and the pill at the onset (even if you think it might hurt) Most effective. You all know how fast they come on. Usually work immediately unless late in a cycle. I too wish you could take more than twice in a 24 hr period. After suffering for almost 20 yrs with no medicine at All. For these crippling things. I have tried all Imitrex types, injections ,pills, nasal sprays. Injections are fast but so very expensive and painful as well. Nasal spray is nauseating for me, the pill form has always worked well if taken at the very BLINK of headache. Because of price and insurance restrictions I would wait to take the medicine. Not anymore.

July 2, 2014 12:48 PM

Review by Lynn Rose Miles:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: I have been using Imitrex since it first came out in the 90's. It was a God send. I've had migraines for 42 years. I get about six migraines a month. Imitrex always works BUT for me I pay a price with stomach aches. Sometimes I refrain from taking Imitrex for fear of the stomach pains.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 22, 2014 9:02 AM

Review by Oh it hurts (taken for less than 1 month):

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: I had a few small reactions, but it took care of it, and it was gone after some sleep

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 12, 2014 10:50 PM

Review by June moon:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: Imitrex works very well for my eyeball pain, light and odour, toxic smells, nasal stuffiness that leads to migraines. Migraines. I am sensitive to gluten of all kinds, if I ingest some, I WILL get nasal stuffiness that will lead to a migraine or cluster headaches. Imitrex works in 45 mins, sometimes sleep is needed to take it away. Sometimes I get migraines for a week or so. Sometimes I take it as a last resort, after trying allergy meds, Tylenol or Valium. But Imitrex works for me. I eat very healthy, no breads of any kind, no gluten, very little sugar. I read all labels, eat mostly veges and meat, mostly organic, I'm getting better at that.

May 23, 2014 2:18 AM

Review by Miz Kizzle (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine: The injectable version works well for my infrequent (every 2-3) months migraines. It stops them dead in their tracks. The only downside is it leaves me feeling a little out of, as if I'd better not operate any heavy machinery. I also err by not taking it as soon as the pain hits. That's because I hate jabbing myself with a needle. Bizarrely, I also get migraines with aura but no pain. The aura is only visible in my left eye, and looks like fluttering black fringe. So weird. The first time it happened, I was sure I was having a brain bleed. When it went away without my dying or having a stroke, I figured it was just my brain chemistry throwing a party, one with black streamers.

May 11, 2014 11:06 AM

Review by mpsprowl (taken for 10 years or more):

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Not always effective.

April 28, 2014 11:36 AM

Review by Cathhhhhy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Migraine: I get migraines with aura. Right when I begin to lose my vision, I know the migraine is 30 minutes away. I take an Imitrex as soon as I start to lose my vision. It works within an hour or two about 80% of the time. I feel very weak and "out of it" when I do take one. It still doesn't help with nausea, however. I have not thrown up from a migraine (yet), just very nauseous. I have also used the injectable version. That works SO much better. However, I have psyched myself out and can no longer give myself a shot for some reason. Physical Therapy has really helped with my migraines. I also quit going to the chiropractor. I used to get migraines weekly, now it's been 6 months and I finally got one today.

April 8, 2014 8:02 PM

Review by Ed E:

For Migraine: Have had migraines on and off for years. I used Fioricet the last 8 years with good results but then my system must have changed that they did not work anymore. After talking to an Neurologist and having blood work etc. done she put me on Imitrex (Sumatriptan) 100mg. which worked great. Only thing I do is split these into 50mg. pieces and they still work good. From reading on different forums I did notice a lot of our fellow migraine sufferers get relief from 25 to 50mg. Also, I have not had any side effects taking the 100mg. Only negative for me is that they are pricey about $10 for 9 pills! Why nine who knows but they work and its worth it to me.

April 5, 2014 12:00 PM

Review by Ben W:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: First month prescription for 20, 50mg tablets. If I take at the first sign of headache goes away about 30 min. If wait to take tablet takes up two hours for the pain to stop. Since I have daily migraines tried waiting to save tablets, concerned run out of 50mg tablets prior to refill date. The Imitrex has been God sent for me. I have had migraines since my teens now in my sixities. Migranies only health probem I have. Plan to call my doctor let know how well Imitrex works for me and see if 30 day prescription or stronger prescription is what I need. From other reviews appears some users go days between headaches, that would be more than I ever expected after all these years.

March 28, 2014 9:55 PM

Review by Carter96281:

For Migraine: I have had migraines ever since I can recall my earliest headaches. I'm lucky that mine progress slowly giving me time to take either ibuprofen or naproxen to take care of the majority of my migraines. That said every once in a while I get a acute enough or resistant enough attack that I take Imitex (sumatriptan) and usually within 20 min my migraines are less severe and within an hour completely resolved. I do however have odd side effects. If I feel nauseous prior to taking Imitrex it makes my nausea more severe. Every time I use sumatriptan my body feels run down and weak, almost as if I have taken a muscle relaxer. Regardless it is a Godsend when I need it. I have 100 mg pills that I cut into quarters. I usually only need 25 mg.

March 1, 2014 5:42 PM