User Reviews for Sumatriptan

Also known as: Alsuma, Imitrex, Imitrex Nasal, Imitrex Statdose, Sumavel DosePro, Zecuity

Learn more about Sumatriptan.

New Daily Persistent Headache 2 reviews 2 medications

8.3
Summary of Sumatriptan reviews 179 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Sumatriptan

Review by myNameTaken2:

For Migraine: I would NOT have a life without it! I've tried everything. Nothing works for me but this! I've been on it 11 years. I started out with pen injections, then nose spray...pill suits me best! I don't wish these on anyone! Migraines are horrible.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 14, 2014 4:30 PM

Review by Piper5:

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Imitrex is truly a miracle for me. It has given me my life back!

August 28, 2014 11:39 AM

Review by SGG:

For Migraine: I have had migraines since my late teens. I used to take Fiornal, but discovered Imitrex which has been a life saver. I get migraines with aura, followed by pain. I use the nasal Imitrex and I find that if I take Imitrex at the onset of my vision loss, I am usually able to stop the vision problem as well as stop the migraine within 30 minutes. This medication has been a lifesaver for me. The only side effect with the nasal spray for me is that it tastes HORRIBLE in the back of my throat and it makes me a bit sickly feeling, but all in all, I'd rather have it than not.

August 20, 2014 1:41 PM

Review by anonymous 30's female (taken for less than 1 month):

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Imitrex did not work for me. I have not reached the vomiting stage of a migraine in years thanks to other medications. Imitrex did nothing to stop the progression of my migraine. I had to leave work in the middle of the afternoon, feeling as if I would vomit at my desk, in the hallway, in the elevator, walking to the parking garage, the entire way. Aleve works better than this stuff, and Aleve only keeps nausea at bay, but does not cure migraines for me.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 4, 2014 7:17 PM

Review by s1ppi (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: I have had migraines since my teens and until I was prescribed the Imitrex (Injectable), I suffered severely. I thank GOD for this medicine and can't imagine life without it.

July 16, 2014 10:24 AM

Review by Cynhawk (taken for 10 years or more):

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: I have suffered from migraines all my life and I am now 57. I was prescribed Imitrex at age 39 and the first dose of 50mg gave me a tightness in my throat but it stopped the migraine. I suffered with them every day. I finally figured out that MSG in food was the biggest cause of the migraine. MSG is disguised by many names but I have eliminated a lot of food and with the help of Imitrex, I can live an almost normal life without a migraine. Imitrex sometimes makes me sleep a lot and other times I sleep for about 30 minutes and I'm fine. I praise the makers of Imitrex because nothing else would completely take the pain away!

July 15, 2014 3:27 AM

Review by John ( Cluster Sufferer 35 yrs ):

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: Imitrex in any form is the Best med for Cluster headaches by far. High flow oxygen at first twinge, and the pill at the onset (even if you think it might hurt) Most effective. You all know how fast they come on. Usually work immediately unless late in a cycle. I too wish you could take more than twice in a 24 hr period. After suffering for almost 20 yrs with no medicine at All. For these crippling things. I have tried all Imitrex types, injections ,pills, nasal sprays. Injections are fast but so very expensive and painful as well. Nasal spray is nauseating for me, the pill form has always worked well if taken at the very BLINK of headache. Because of price and insurance restrictions I would wait to take the medicine. Not anymore.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 2, 2014 12:48 PM

Review by Lynn Rose Miles:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: I have been using Imitrex since it first came out in the 90's. It was a God send. I've had migraines for 42 years. I get about six migraines a month. Imitrex always works BUT for me I pay a price with stomach aches. Sometimes I refrain from taking Imitrex for fear of the stomach pains.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 22, 2014 9:02 AM

Review by Oh it hurts (taken for less than 1 month):

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: I had a few small reactions, but it took care of it, and it was gone after some sleep

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 12, 2014 10:50 PM

Review by June moon:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: Imitrex works very well for my eyeball pain, light and odour, toxic smells, nasal stuffiness that leads to migraines. Migraines. I am sensitive to gluten of all kinds, if I ingest some, I WILL get nasal stuffiness that will lead to a migraine or cluster headaches. Imitrex works in 45 mins, sometimes sleep is needed to take it away. Sometimes I get migraines for a week or so. Sometimes I take it as a last resort, after trying allergy meds, Tylenol or Valium. But Imitrex works for me. I eat very healthy, no breads of any kind, no gluten, very little sugar. I read all labels, eat mostly veges and meat, mostly organic, I'm getting better at that.

May 23, 2014 2:18 AM

Review by Miz Kizzle (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine: The injectable version works well for my infrequent (every 2-3) months migraines. It stops them dead in their tracks. The only downside is it leaves me feeling a little out of, as if I'd better not operate any heavy machinery. I also err by not taking it as soon as the pain hits. That's because I hate jabbing myself with a needle. Bizarrely, I also get migraines with aura but no pain. The aura is only visible in my left eye, and looks like fluttering black fringe. So weird. The first time it happened, I was sure I was having a brain bleed. When it went away without my dying or having a stroke, I figured it was just my brain chemistry throwing a party, one with black streamers.

May 11, 2014 11:06 AM

Review by mpsprowl (taken for 10 years or more):

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Not always effective.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 28, 2014 11:36 AM

Review by Cathhhhhy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Migraine: I get migraines with aura. Right when I begin to lose my vision, I know the migraine is 30 minutes away. I take an Imitrex as soon as I start to lose my vision. It works within an hour or two about 80% of the time. I feel very weak and "out of it" when I do take one. It still doesn't help with nausea, however. I have not thrown up from a migraine (yet), just very nauseous. I have also used the injectable version. That works SO much better. However, I have psyched myself out and can no longer give myself a shot for some reason. Physical Therapy has really helped with my migraines. I also quit going to the chiropractor. I used to get migraines weekly, now it's been 6 months and I finally got one today.

April 8, 2014 8:02 PM

Review by Ed E:

For Migraine: Have had migraines on and off for years. I used Fioricet the last 8 years with good results but then my system must have changed that they did not work anymore. After talking to an Neurologist and having blood work etc. done she put me on Imitrex (Sumatriptan) 100mg. which worked great. Only thing I do is split these into 50mg. pieces and they still work good. From reading on different forums I did notice a lot of our fellow migraine sufferers get relief from 25 to 50mg. Also, I have not had any side effects taking the 100mg. Only negative for me is that they are pricey about $10 for 9 pills! Why nine who knows but they work and its worth it to me.

April 5, 2014 12:00 PM

Review by Ben W:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: First month prescription for 20, 50mg tablets. If I take at the first sign of headache goes away about 30 min. If wait to take tablet takes up two hours for the pain to stop. Since I have daily migraines tried waiting to save tablets, concerned run out of 50mg tablets prior to refill date. The Imitrex has been God sent for me. I have had migraines since my teens now in my sixities. Migranies only health probem I have. Plan to call my doctor let know how well Imitrex works for me and see if 30 day prescription or stronger prescription is what I need. From other reviews appears some users go days between headaches, that would be more than I ever expected after all these years.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 28, 2014 9:55 PM

Review by Carter96281:

For Migraine: I have had migraines ever since I can recall my earliest headaches. I'm lucky that mine progress slowly giving me time to take either ibuprofen or naproxen to take care of the majority of my migraines. That said every once in a while I get a acute enough or resistant enough attack that I take Imitex (sumatriptan) and usually within 20 min my migraines are less severe and within an hour completely resolved. I do however have odd side effects. If I feel nauseous prior to taking Imitrex it makes my nausea more severe. Every time I use sumatriptan my body feels run down and weak, almost as if I have taken a muscle relaxer. Regardless it is a Godsend when I need it. I have 100 mg pills that I cut into quarters. I usually only need 25 mg.

March 1, 2014 5:42 PM

Review by MSII:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: I come from a family where everyone has terrible migraines. When I started getting them at age 21, I resorted to taking loads of Tylenol with Pesudophedrine to "mask" the pain, which took a heavy toll on my liver. Someone suggested that I look into the Triptan family of migraine medication. After going through a few different ones, I found Imitrex to be an absolute life-saver. Whenever I feel one coming, I take 50mg and the migraine usually disappears within 30 minutes. If I wait a few hours to take it, the response time could be more like 90 minutes. With 10-15 migraines a month, Imitrex is essentially the only thing that allows me to function. I have not seen any real side effects.

February 24, 2014 2:27 AM

Review by ko80:

For Migraine: This pill has completely changed my life I highly recommend it to anyone that suffers from migraines. As soon as you feel the symptoms you take it and it goes away in a half hour to an hour and if it doesn't you take another one and it will go away. I suffer from migraines and had to be in bed for sometime 2 days. This really works for me.

February 9, 2014 11:41 PM

Review by Caboose (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Migraine: Blood pressure increased from 132/80 at onset of migraine. After 1 sumatriptan it increased to 153/100. Not very effective at relieving throbbing pain, vomiting, pounding at back of eyes.

February 9, 2014 9:55 AM

Review by oliviers1:

Sumavel DosePro (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Took my husband to doctor while suffering a severe migraine with vomiting which he has suffered from his whole life(1-2 a month to the point of vomiting). After not being able to keep down pills this was his only hope of relief. Had first injection at doctor's office and within 15 minutes he had relief and was even able to go in to work the same day. I am so happy there is something that cures his pain. He said the shot hurt but it was worth it. The cost is high but also worth it when he is in that much pain. We paid $200 with discount card for 6 injections. You can find the discount card on their website. HIGHLY RECOMMEND when nothing else has helped.

December 16, 2013 12:58 PM

Review by berlygirl (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: I have suffered from debilitating migraines for over 20 years. I feel like I have tried everything. Imitrex shots gave me my life back. After taking a shot I normally need to lay down for 15 min but then I feel great. I used to suffer for at least 3 days. I never had any side effects.

December 15, 2013 12:07 AM

Review by Nanas meds (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Imitrex Statdose (sumatriptan) for Migraine: I have extremely bad migraines and have tried several different medicines. Imitrex stat dose injections have really been a lifesaver!

December 13, 2013 3:38 PM

Review by Debbie42:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Cluster Headaches: This is a miracle for me. Cluster headaches would put me out of commission for 2 days. Imitrex gets rid of the intense pain of my eye feeling like it might pop out of my head! The first few times I took it I had side effects of the heavy feeling on my chest and in my muscles after 3x I can take with no side effects. I've only taken it 5x but still working great.

December 4, 2013 11:29 PM

Review by Shellsbabies:

For Migraine: I have suffered from migraines since I was 16 and been put on several different medications. Right now I have been taking Topamax for over 4 yrs. and it has gotten to where it isn't working anymore. So my doctor gave me Imitrex injections. And they work wonders in getting rid of my headaches but the pain in my chest like something is reaching inside my chest and squeezing the life out of me and the heaviness and tingling sensations lasts for about 15-20 mins.

November 25, 2013 12:20 AM

Review by Amc12390:

Imitrex (sumatriptan) for Migraine: Works super fast and well. Gets rid of my migraines fast when I take with a Motrin 800, BUT......it makes me sweat buckets. I took it at work before my shift and 2 hours later my migraine was gone but I had sweated through 2 shirts and was visibly dripping. It was pretty bad. It does it every time I take it so I try not to use it if I can help it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate