Generic Name: dextrose/fructose/phosphoric acid (DEX-tros/FRUK-tose/fos-FOR-ik AS-id)
Brand Name: Examples include Emetrol and Nausetrol
This product contains sugar and should not be taken by diabetic patients except under the advice and supervision of a health care provider.
Emetrol solution is used for:
Treating nausea and vomiting.
Emetrol solution is an antiemetic combination. It is unknown exactly how Emetrol solution works.
Do NOT use Emetrol solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Emetrol solution
- you have hereditary fructose intolerance (HFI)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Emetrol solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Emetrol solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Emetrol solution. However, no specific interactions with Emetrol solution are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Emetrol solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Emetrol solution:
Use Emetrol solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Emetrol solution may be taken with or without food.
- Do not mix Emetrol solution in any other liquid before taking.
- Do not drink any other fluids right before or for 15 minutes after taking a dose of Emetrol solution.
- Take Emetrol solution every 15 minutes or until symptoms go away.
- Do not take Emetrol solution for more than 1 hour (5 doses) without contacting your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Emetrol solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Emetrol solution.
Important safety information:
- If upset stomach continues or recurs often, contact your doctor.
- Diabetes patients - Do not use Emetrol solution unless instructed to do so by your doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Emetrol solution, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Emetrol solution during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Emetrol solution, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Emetrol solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Emetrol solution:
Store Emetrol solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Emetrol solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Emetrol solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Emetrol solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Emetrol solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Emetrol solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Emetrol solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Emetrol solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.