User Reviews for Meclizine

Also known as: Antivert, Antrizine, Bonine, D-Vert, Dramamine II, Dramamine Less Drowsy, Driminate II, Help I'm Nauseous, Meclicot, Medivert, Meni-D, Motion-Time, Ru-Vert-M, Sea-Calm, Travel Sickness, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Meclizine.

Motion Sickness 26 reviews 109 medications

Vertigo 59 reviews 28 medications

7.7
Nausea/Vomiting 5 reviews 149 medications

7.6
Summary of Meclizine reviews 90 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Meclizine

For Vertigo: "I have been STRUGGLING immensely from dizziness, feeling off balance, light headed, & vertigo for over a MONTH now!! So bad it landed me in the ER and I've been off work. I read about Meclizine and asked my Doctor to prescribe me some. I was hesitant to take it at first since the drowsiness side effect. I held off for a few days. Finally took some yesterday (25 mg, took 2/day). Woke up today and for the first time I can stand up without feeling like I'm going to fall!! I am still not 100% but this definitely did help with the dizziness and spinning!!"

Delilah R. (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2015

For Vertigo: "I have had several extreme bouts of vertigo over the past couple of years follwed predictably by nausea and vomiting. after about 3 hours I can get up but for the next 24-36 hours I just want to rest sleep as it takes all the starch out of me. this last time, I have been given a diagnosis of Meniere's Disease. the last vertigo attack happened in a public place and resulted in a trip to the ER room. they gave me Meclizine and I think it was helpful in the aftermath as I felt like my balance was off for a couple of days. if I feel another attack coming (they are hard to foretell) I may try the 3x daily 25mg to head it off. I asked my doctor if I should stay on it but he said no...not sure why?"

the wizard July 9, 2015

For Vertigo: "I went to the ER for extreme Vertigo a little over a week ago.... This was drop me to my knees, room spinning, vomiting Vertigo...... The ER first gave me Valium, but the results weren't that great, so they then gave me meclizine and wrote me RX for some to have at home.... It didn't work that great the first day, because my symptoms were so extreme but over time, everything is starting to go back to normal. It's just going very sloooowly. My balance is back and I'm not dizzy anymore, but I still feel foggy. I'm weening myself off and only taking 1/2 a pill at night...... When taking the 3 pills a day, it was very tired and loopy and I couldn't remember anything. Also, driving is out of the question! I felt like I was drunk."

SarahCuda (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2015

For Vertigo: "I've been a dizzy person all my life and I just always managed it. Then in the last few weeks, it has been worse than I've ever experienced before: dizzy spells, sensation of spinning. Nothing extreme but enough to keep me in the house a few days. Took a 25 mg pill. No quick relief, but within an hour, there was a noticeable difference. Basically the screws tightened up and I wasn't as dizzy. Then, after 90 minutes, the vertigo was mostly gone. After 2 hours, it was totally gone. I'm still a bit flabbergasted. Did I just suffer all those years for nothing? Cheap drug too. Easily accessible, even over the counter. Only complaint: A little slow to work."

K11199 July 4, 2015

For Vertigo: "I was prescribed the 25mg pill when I experienced light headedness and dizzy spells for a couple of days. The Dr. told me that I had fluid behind my ear canal causing vertigo and that the med would help. I've taken it twice since last night. Its helping a lot. But, makes me withdrawn and very tired."

TRISH77 June 7, 2015

Bonine (meclizine) for Motion Sickness: "My youngest son gets carsick after being in the car for 30 minutes. I discovered these tablets and give him a half of a pill an hour before we leave as directed, and he's golden. He does not experience drowsiness and acts like his normal self. Trips have become manageable now and I don't cringe with the puke bucket."

Working Mom of 2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 25, 2015

Dramamine II (meclizine) for Vertigo: "It works just as good as the others. Took up to two a day when really bad."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2015

For Vertigo: "Over the weekend I went to the ER for intense spinning sensation lasting for 3 days and getting worse. I was diagnosed with vertigo accompanied by nystagmus. I feel like a bobble head. I was given meclizine. I spent the entire day sleeping however the spinning and bobbing has greatly decreased. I'm taking 25 mg 3 times daily and I must say I am getting better and I'm no longer experiencing the sleepy side effect with it. Eagerly waiting to feel 100% again. This is my first time experiencing vertigo and I must say it really scared me. But this medication is really helping thankfully."

AJ40 March 16, 2015

Bonine (meclizine) for Motion Sickness: "I learned to sail keelboats 8 years ago. I love it, but am prone to seasickness. I tried ginger initially but that was ineffective. Then a friend suggested Bonine and I have used it ever since. I don't feel drowsy while sailing, but on the drive home after sailing and all the next day I can be very drowsy. To combat the drowsiness I tried reducing my dose, I now take 1/3-1/2 a tablet each time I go out (once or twice a week), increasing the dose up to 1-1/2 tablets if I expect rough seas. Over the 7 years of twice a week use, I have only had trouble twice in stormy 6 ft seas. Highly recommend, but figure out your best dose. I have taken it for up to 10 days continuously without ill effects."

dlb333 March 3, 2015

For Vertigo: "12.5 mg helps with sensations of dizziness, spinning, balance problems, but makes me unable to function for 24hr. Very drowsy. I am 5.5, 106lbs."

Sam_FM February 27, 2015

For Vertigo: "This medicine was great for my Gastroenteritis Vertigo , the only bad thing I came across was having very strange to very disturbing dreams. At the time of my visit to the ER I was under extreme amount of stress which, could be the reason why I had these crazy dreams. But, I remembered my dreams in full detail, unlike the dreams before taking this medication. The other side effect was sleeping all the time(which,I'm sure I needed at the time due to stress). I did in fact had a good nights sleep which, I never do. I never sleep well do to chronic back pain.Also, had to take nausea pills with this medication."

missyross February 16, 2015

For Vertigo: "I've been taking meclizine 25 mg for 3 months. I do cut my in half can't function on a whole. I've been trying to come off them slowly. Im in Neuro vestibular rehab to help retrain my brain so I don't have to live on these pills and can try and live a normal life. Dr thinks I have Ménière's my balance is a big issue. Hope is all we have for this out of control vertigo."

Klraynes (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2015

Bonine (meclizine) for Motion Sickness: "Bonine works great for when vertigo hits from additional fluid in your balance mechanism in your inner ear. Even when no cruising or flying . However be careful of the getting pregnant warning."

Drewdrew2 January 17, 2015

For Motion Sickness: "After years of suffering motion sickness, I finally tried Bonine. I've been taking it for about 2 years now for car rides longer than an hour and plane rides. For me, it only works if I take it at least an hour before travel. If I take it when I'm already sick, it only works about 50% for me. This wonderful medicine has allowed me to travel. Before, I used to dread going any distance. I do get a little bit drowsy, but not to the point where I cannot function. I can still work, sight see, etc. I sleep wonderfully when I'm on it!"

Karen3339 January 10, 2015

For Vertigo: "I have been suffering with vertigo for the past three months, spinning every night and still dizzy and nausea during the day. This was causing major stress for me, the doctor put me on antibiotics and steroid and still nothing makes better. Went to another doc and was given meclizine and got my first night sleep with no spinning when turning over and not getting up feeling sick. This was a great feeling but I cannot take during the day or I would fall asleep at my desk. But I will take sleepy over my world spinning any day!"

chris s December 14, 2014

For Vertigo: "I was diagnosed with Benign Positional Vertigo in early 90's. It started at a very stressful time in my life. Dizzy, feeling faint, nausea, headache, anxiety, off-balance, can't sit up or lie down without the room spinning, fuzzy feeling in head. Prescribed first by my doctor as Antivert. It made me very sleepy and calm. Good for anxiety as well. It did help stop the spinning and helped me feel much better. I had a wonderful respite from this BPV for years and now today bending down to get seltzerr in supermarket my head started swimming. VERTIGO! I purchased LESS DROWSY form of Meclizine and it is helping and it does make you less drowsy. Good luck to all of us this Vertigo is no joke."

DizzyChick September 2, 2014

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Bonine (meclizine) for Vertigo: "I have had vertigo for 4 years now and Bonine is the only thing that helps me, I have these on hand wherever I go and could not function right without them. The heaviness in head and the dizziness, I feel it coming on and take two and I'm fine about 20 minutes later. I highly recommend Bonine for vertigo symptoms."

hark33 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2014

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Antivert (meclizine) for Vertigo: "Really effective albeit sedating. I have Menieres with horrible vertigo, and have tried several meds, including Ativan and Lamictal, but Antivert seems most effective verses costs and side effects. Definite "hangover" of grogginess from the Antivert, but I can muddle through if I don't take it too late at night."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 30, 2014

For Vertigo: "I've been taking meclizine for the past year on and off due to BPPV. When I feel "off" and know it's coming I take a 25mg pill 3 times a day for a day or so. If I ignore the feeling (sometimes I'm in denial...) and the world begins to spin I take a pill and the world rights itself within an hour. "

DanaLu (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 5, 2014

For Motion Sickness: "I have a very poor vestibular system which causes severe vertigo, dizziness, nausea when travelling. I usually use gravol (natural product, 550 mg) and my travel bracelets for short flights (less than 2 hours), unfortunately, I was sick throughout the plane ride due to bad weather and seemed it set the tone prior to my first cruise. The doctor gave me meclizine which really helped, still had some turbulence in the stomach so I purchased "Motion Ease" oils (a drop behind each ear) when the seas were really rough! No motion sickness symptoms AT ALL during the 7-day cruise !!!! Only side effect (not sure if from the cruise or the pills ???) ...was that it took me four days to fully regain my balance (tipping on the right....was kinda weird)"

Franny D April 28, 2014

For Motion Sickness: "I have used meclizine on cruises and boat trips as I am susceptible to sea sickness in moderately rough waters or worse. Although it makes me a little sleepy, it's not so bad that it affects what I do. It just makes it a little hard to get up in the morning- takes me a little longer to feel "awake". Otherwise, I usually feel very good with no nausea. I used it on a *very* rough boat ride once and although I never threw up, I was nauseous for the last half of the trip. However, considering how sick others were, I felt it was still helping me quite a bit."

Nessz (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2014

For Vertigo: "I have taken this for years, as I've had vertigo problems ever since a head injury years ago. For the person who can't find it, go to your CVS, Walgreens, etc and ask them to order it in bulk."

Dana J February 11, 2014

For Vertigo: "I have vertigo a few times a year. Diagnosis is inconclusive but possibly Meniere's. Meclizine helps a lot. I have almost no side effects, but it sometimes only mitigates, doesn't eliminate, the vertigo. I'm 6'4" and 230 pounds and wonder if the dosage instructions are sensitive to body weight."

AlaskaGuy December 16, 2013

For Vertigo: "I just had my second case of vertigo and tried 25mg of Meclizine and like many others it worked very well but I could not stay awake. My doctor changed my med to the 12.5 mg and I like that much better. Still stay a little tired but at least I am not sleeping all day."

Ray, From South Carolina (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2013

Bonine (meclizine) for Motion Sickness: "On the advise of a friend my wife and I started taking Bonine 24 hrs before we departed on a small ship cruise in the Caribbean. It was the best advise we could have gotten because at night while traveling between the islands the weather was very very rough. Over half the people on the cruise were extremely sea sick and miserable. We felt fine and had no issues at all. I highly recommend this product."

Itwasrough September 18, 2013