User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Asperger Syndrome 1 reviews 4 medications

6.5
Tourette's Syndrome 1 reviews 12 medications

Anorexia Nervosa 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 0 reviews 48 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Olanzapine reviews 171 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Olanzapine

Review by TheGoodWife42:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: I am in shock as to the MIRACLE of Olanzipine. A 2 year severe depression, with extreme anxiety, insomnia, and paranoia DISAPEARED the first week on this medicine. Before, my depression was so bad, I stopped brushing my hair, I could barely function, my sadness so profound. After 1 week on Zyprexa, I am finally back to myself, taking good care of myself, sadness is 90% gone, smiling again!

March 22, 2015 8:20 PM

Review by Mecrazy:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: I gained 100 lbs but slept well and felt mentally ok

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 10, 2015 8:09 PM

Review by bipolar12345 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Zyprexa is the only antipsychotic that doesn’t make me feel like a zombie! I kept my personality and my energy. It almost feels like I don’t take an antipsychotic. I take 7.5 mg, because my psychiatrist told me that when you take less then 10 mg daily, the risk of metabolic syndrome is low. It’s very good for treating mania and it augments the effect of my antidepressant. The only downside is that it’s a little bit difficult to wake up.

March 8, 2015 1:14 PM

Review by cindyuk3:

For Depression: Olanzapine give me really bad palpitations and anxiety was taking 20 milligrams a day so came off them.

March 5, 2015 6:24 PM

Review by bluemoose (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: The olanzapine works for me. I sleep at night and my thoughts rarely race now. And it is so wonderful not to feel depressed. If it wasn't for the weight gain, I would give it a ten.

March 1, 2015 6:13 PM

Review by joyouschris (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Depression: This medication has been a life saver for me. After suffering severe situational depression and 3 serious suicide attempts I was put on 5mg. It took away anxiety. I'm also on venalafaxine, which just wasn't enough for me. I have not put on weight and eat healthy. I have tried to come of and anxiety and low mood came back.

February 18, 2015 4:29 AM

Review by Anon Lady (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Borderline Personality Disorder: Very helpful for insomnia and stress and my Borderline Personality Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and the severe depression and anxiety I've had all my life. Plus no weight gain! I love this one out of all I've tried and would recommend it to anyone else who suffers these afflictions - God bless and be well.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2015 10:33 PM

Review by Aspergal (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: I don't have as many crying spells as I used to.

February 13, 2015 6:26 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine) for Borderline Personality Disorder: I've Been on this medicine for about 4 months. Completely changed my life

February 5, 2015 6:11 PM

Review by Gregg1:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Zyprexa for 14 years, my new doctor took me off in October and I was a mess in Dec. Now Feb back on for a month and I feel better. Doc is worried about long time effects, she wants to try quitting again in 6 months. I don't know but I'm stable on Zyprexa. I'm fine and mess without it. I'm Bi-polar.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 4, 2015 11:59 AM

Review by Jaded1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: This medicine works really well as a mood stabilizer for me. The only MAJOR drawback is weight gain. I just can't control myself when the carb cravings happen. I am usually very much in control of my dietary habits, but on Zyprexa that just isn't possible. I also suffer from schizoaffective disorder and hear voices. Although Zyprexa suppresses them, it does not completely get rid of them in my case; they are quiet enough to tolerate though. I have gained 35 pounds in less than about a month and a half. I am going to wean off of these and ask the psych-doc for something else.

December 26, 2014 11:02 PM

Review by Sugaray0212:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Insomnia: I went to a psychiatrist for sleep meds and was prescribed 5 mg. Zyprexa. It helped me sleep but as soon as I stopped taking the medicine after two weeks, I experienced severe insomnia, sweating, palpitation, agitation depression and agitation. I had to be put back on it to to stabilize. I am now taking 7.5 mg. I don't like the effect on me and I will try to taper off of this medicine. I wish I had known about the side effects and widthrawal symptoms of this medicine.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 25, 2014 1:23 AM

Review by lovemylifeforever:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: Had a few psychotic episode few years ago, was hospitalized and was put on Zyprexa and a few other meds. I was diagnosed with BPD (borderline personality disorder), major depression and fibromyalgia. I felt hungry all the time and gained 70lbs, my dose was 20mg a day plus I was on other meds, finally was weaned off all other meds as the months went by. I cannot say my hunger and weight gain was completely due to Zyprexa but I do know that I now take only 5mg a day, at night, sleep well, hunger is normal and I have lost weight with good healthy choices and exercise. I no longer have depression and life has never been better. Zyprexa, therapy, exercise, support and nutrition has saved my life.

December 13, 2014 9:36 PM

Review by BPD and maybe bipolar II (taken for less than 1 month):

For Borderline Personality Disorder: Zyprexa (along with Prozac) worked miracles for me right away. No mood swings, no irritability/anger, no depression, no suicidal thoughts, no impulsivity, I don't feel nearly as cynical, very little emptiness/boredom. Energy is up during the day, Zyprexa helps me sleep. Slight lightheadedness, but nothing troubling. I have my life back.

December 13, 2014 10:39 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Insomnia: This medicine is the best sleep aid I have found. I tried Ambien and it made me crazy. I can sleep with Zyprexa and wake up the next morning with no side effects. I just have to make sure I take it early in the evening. If I take it too late, it will make me groggy in the morning. Unlike some of the reports I have heard, it doesn't effect my weight at all.

December 10, 2014 2:47 PM

Review by Corksters (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: Zyprexa- It is not a sedating medicine at all. It does nothing for anxiety and paranoia. It is extremely effective for panic and depression problems though. That's the only thing I commend this medicine for. The weight gain for this medicine is worse than any other psychiatric medicine. It to me, feels like an acute medicine for panic attacks but that's all I would say it's beneficial towards. The trick to this medicine is it is not sedating, but it stops the central nervous system from freaking out, but you don't actually feel sedated or calmer from it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 1, 2014 6:33 PM

Review by postCancerBestLifeEver (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on several antipsychotics, this is the first atypical and it has changed my life. After cancer, beating it and then being placed on this new regimen with clonazepam for anxiety component, this medication has helped tremendously but has a short half-life, so don't miss a dose.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2014 11:33 PM

Review by Beans99:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: Taking 10mg of Zyprexa for lst month. Has calmed me but weight gain and night sweats are the downsides.

November 17, 2014 3:39 PM

Review by olanzapine for days (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I've been on olanzapine for 2 months now and it's hard to feel negative feelings. I feel calmer, less irritable but at times i feel numb. It's hard to feel anything. I highly recommend it.

November 15, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by Alivia Epstein:

For Depression: I'm on 20 milligrams of Zyprexa at night, I wake up recharged every day, I used to wake up 15 times every night now I wake up twice a night. It also helps with anxiety.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2014 9:37 PM

Review by Spencer E:

For Bipolar Disorder: I started 5mg of olanzapine last night. I have not slept or felt calm in a couple months. I have dealt with Bipolar 1 and ADHD for many years. I went to my Psychiatrist and was told that for my condition I should not be on things like Celexa that I was taking at 40mg at night. Those serotonin medications can hype me up especially at night. So the only other medicine I take is Inderal LA 120mg for tremors I have from a neurological condition since childhood. I slept great last night for the first time in a long time. I also feel much more at ease in gathering my thoughts and focus. I just hope it continues and I do my part in staying stable too.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 24, 2014 12:23 PM

Review by JAM87:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Had a break down at age 15 and eventually got on Zyprexa. Like everybody else said I gained about 30-40 pounds, could be very sleepy sometimes, but it completely stopped the voices I was hearing for the past 8 months. It gave me my life back. Just kinda woke up feeling normal after being on the medicine for a few days. It was amazing. Was on 10mg at the highest and worked all the way down to 2.5mg over the next year. Had a prayer service at my church (Doctor was ok with us taking a trial run off medicines since I had been doing well on a low dose for the past few months) and now have been off meds and completely fine for over 10 years now. Very thankful.

October 21, 2014 7:21 PM

Review by Rivvi98 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizophrenia: Kept my schizophrenia in check but way too sedating. Gained 20 pounds in 6 months, hard to wake up in morning, going to try something else.

October 14, 2014 2:22 PM

Review by June6743:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: It made my delusions disappear but made me gain weight and I still experience some paranoia, though I'm on 5mg once a day which is a low dosage (won't increase it since I don't want to gain more weight)

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 30, 2014 11:00 AM

Review by TourettesOCD (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Tourette's Syndrome: The first time I was prescribed Olanzapine I was on it for about 5-6 months. The tics were reduced by about half which was great for me. However I soon realized that there were subtle side effects which had horrible results. The medicine made me very hungry which meant I ate a lot more and as a result I gained around 20 pounds in a very short period of time. Another side effect was drowsiness and lethargy. I slept a lot and took naps during the day. I trialed the medicine again recently and the same side effects occurred so I have had to stop this medicine and try something else.

August 25, 2014 12:49 PM