User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Agitation 4 reviews 6 medications

6.6
Tourette's Syndrome 1 reviews 12 medications

Summary of Olanzapine reviews 268 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Olanzapine

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was 150 pounds and I went up to 182 pounds within two months of using olanzapine. You are hungry all of the time on this medication and never feel satisfied. The first two weeks of medication use I felt very tired. I am still tired, but it's not as bad as it was. I started on 15 mg. I dropped down to 10 mg. The unpleasant side effects described continued. I am in the process of getting off this medication."

R C J May 21, 2016

For Depression: "This med is the only thing I tried that worked for my anxiety and depression. It might just be the way my brain is made, but every other antidepressant I tried made me worse or caused reactions. Anti-psychotics however help me. I've been taking olanzapine for a year and haven't noticed much side effect, no weight gain at all. It doesn't completely cure my depression, but I feel much better. Dr. suggested that I take a higher dose, but I'm a bit worried about diabetes."

y-thingy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 12, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I suffer from depression, anxiety, irritability and anger. I recently fell into a deep depression, was suicidal, and began cutting myself. I was admitted to a psych ward for 4 days, and was prescribed 5mg olanzepine, and my fluoxetine was reduced to 10mg from 30. I'm doing SO much better with this combination. I'm not as anxious as I used to be. My depression is about gone completely, and I'm more patient with society. I've been on it for 2 weeks. The only down side is that I am STARVING, ALL THE TIME. No food can satisfy my stomach. I'm 6' and 150lb, so I don't care if I gain weight, but my mom has type II diabetes, so I'm paranoid taking this medication, which doesn't help my situation"

Delta99 (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: "Started taking 2.5 mg Zyprexia a day 3 days ago. For years have taken 60 mg Celexa, .5 mg Clonazepam, and ( .5 mg Xanax if I need for emergency panic attack) They worked well until 6 years ago, my husband died, a year later my dad died.Two years after my dad passed his wife died, then 4mo. later my son, who had Downs Syndrome died on the operating table. I was really going into a deep black hole by then but it just got worse. A friend of 25 yrs died of cancer not even a year after my son. I can really feel a difference in just 3 days. No crying so far, been outside and to the store without panic attacks. Sleep really well. So far eating hasn't been a problem, have lots of energy, and just feel better. Hoping for a new lease on life!"

jpurplelady (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was admitted to the hospital for severe hydration due to vomitting from being sick for a wk and prior to that completely lost my appetite do to a gluon intolerance I had become frustrated with food and I couldn't sleep was angry all the time, I was put on Apo-olanzapine aka Zyprexa and set up with a psychiatrist as an out patient...here's the thing I was prescribed this med by the psychiatrist for weight gain, but it also boost my mood swell , I feel like I'm a level playing field and the game is fair again. Definitely helps with depression, as I don't feel all is consuming me anymore and I eat everything in sight, I put 5 pounds on in 1 wk!!! So beware of that, its strange because you CRAVE food, all you do is think about food...lol"

quicksand (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 4, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: "Started up Zyprexa 5mg along with 80mg of Prozac and 200 mg of lamctiI don't remember the last time I have felt this good.My family feels like they are living with a different person.I feel like a different person.My does of Prozac was upped and the lamctiI the same day they added Zyprexa.I feel wonderful but gaining weight.Even if my stomach feels full and bloated I sometimes still want to eat.Afraid to stop the Zyprexa because my life was a living hell for me and everybody in it.I never want to go back there.I could not survive such a deep dark depression again.I used to believe all the good years were gone and I was just existing.But I am living and loving it!!!!But extremely worried about the weight gain.Already have type 2 diabetes."

wildcats7 May 3, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Feel much better since I started Zyprexa!! Wished I had started it years ago! Zyprexa works quickly to calm a person down. Very progressive type of medication."

Magenta Clay (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on zyprexa for 5 days so far. I have been taking 2.5mg and I think I need to up the dose now to 5mg as it feels like it is wearing off. this medication is doing wonders for me, it is great! I can finally have 8 hours of un-disturbed sleep. Prior to commencing this medication, I was suffering from severe symptoms of mania such as insomnia, loss of appetite, high energy levels, psychotic symptoms (hearing voices, derealisation, making weird connections & magical experiences), making new plans, reckless spending & driving, new ideas, taking on too many tasks, agitation. the medication has calmed all of these symptoms. zyprexa is a god send for me. only side effect I have is low blood pressure from it."

Nataaaaalieee (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

For Insomnia: "This is the only medicine I have taken for insomnia that helps me sleep. at least seven hours. Only drawback is if I take too late at nite I am drowsy for few hours when I wake up."

Deltagirl424 April 16, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: "Was on Zyprexa from Mar 2015 till Aug 2015. At first it seemed like it was mellowing me out a bit, and I could sleep through the whole night, which was an improvement. After a few months I noticed my depression was getting much worse. Came off the drug cold turkey, and went through one of the most serious withdrawals one could face. Depression, severe anxiety, PTSD, night terrors took over. To this day Apr 2016, I have still not returned to the way I was before I started taking this horrible drug. Depression and anxiety are still bad, not as bad as 6 mos ago, but still worse than when I first started taking it. I'm convinced this drug can cause permanent brain damage."

rb1979 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

For Schizophrenia: "Less agression, no weight gain, no increased appetite, taken 5mg for 8 months. Happy, normal,active life now."

Medical turnaround (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Insomnia: "It's Definetely was a love/hate relationship with Zyprexa. I have tried virtually every sleep drug available, and it was one of the best because it not only put me to sleep, but it also KEPT me asleep for 8 hours. Started at 2.5mg, then 5mg, & eventually 7.5. It did take a long time to kick in though, so I had to take it 2 hours before bedtime. But like everybody who takes this, I gained weight. But I found the 1 way you can actually lose weight on this drug, which is to combine exercise with Atkins diet (low carb). Zyprexa gives you metabolic syndrome. You no longer burn carbs, which means all carbs you eat becomes body fat, which is why you become fat on this stuff (so you have to stop eating carbs). I got off this drug after 1 year."

Chronic Insomniac (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 27, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Insomnia: "I have been prescribed Zyprexa 10mg just two days ago. It was prescribed for insomnia and an extra medication for my depression. I have not slept as well as I was told I would. I have had major restlessness in my legs and arms to where I haven't slept well at all. I have felt very drowsy during the day. I have also tried Ambein which also gave me restlessness in my legs. Not sure if this is right one for me either. Maybe I just need more time? I have noticed I am eating more throughout the day. Not worried about that so much since I need to put on some weight."

Sleepy Lady March 24, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Borderline Personality Disorder: "Extremely helpful when used as needed for extreme rage or fear, it re-balances my perspective and helps me keep in touch with reality. However when I used Zyprexa daily it did not help as much."

Aroehed (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 24, 2016

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine) for Borderline Personality Disorder: "Worst,make me feel extremely dizzy & about to pass out any time soon...I even fall off on my bathroom floor cause unable to stand still.I take it at night but the effects are still there when i wake up in the morning!"

Yogi8720 (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "I am currently on Zyprexa, it's a miracle since it took the voices and hallucinations away. Life is good in that sense but it's given me acne and I am gaining weight, like alot. I also have no emotions not happy sad or any at all. I am a zombie these days but no other drug has taken the voices away so I think I will stay on it for a while."

LissMiss2 March 9, 2016

For Insomnia: "Success, success, success! I have been on and off olanzapine since I was 18 years old, more off like 99% off and I can say my sleep has been horrible but now I take olanzapine every second night, 10MG and I sleep approximately 8 hours a night. No hangover effects like taking 10MG a night. Shit, doctors say to take 10MG a night are they crazy? why don't they try and take olanzapine before they dose up and ruin lifes. I have taken 10MG a night in the past nightly and it's virtually impossible to get out of bed and during the day you can't think or talk like a human being, I become a social introvert. Doctors want to take this? Only side effect I can say with olanzapine is appetite up/weight gain carbs so watch diet *paleo* carbs kill/weight"

BipolarGuy01 March 7, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Stops dead on track those manic/depressive crisis moments. And I love the hunger it gives me. Great pill for me. My AP of choice. Always take this with .5 or 1 mg of clonazepam. ;-)"

corvohunter (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I have had great improvements with my depression and mood swings with zyprexa and prozac. This seems to go like peanut butter and jelly. I can't say for sure it's the med's, but my suicidal thoughts are pretty much gone completely, and I thought that would never happen!!! Thank God!!!!"

BPD GUY February 24, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Very effective medication if you can handle the side effects. I gained over 100 pounds from this medication. But the medication does work. That's why I am still on it. I now get a Zyprexa injection once a month (used to get it twice a month) and I take an oral tablet at night before bed. I take a Topamax pill now so I don't gain as much weight anymore. The other side effect is fatigue and lethargy but it's worth the side effects to stay stable and out of the hospital."

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "I will say good for the most part. My wife was on zyprexa for a while but did not like it (did not know exactly why) and was chaotic. Hospitalization after hospitalization. But since switched to 20 mg olanzapine hcl, it's like a night and day difference, and things are normal again. No more catatonia, abnormal activities, or thinking everybody is an enemy and conspiring. Now she takes daily doses on own without been reminded. Ask and actively participate in refills. Only drawback is the increase in appetite and likes to sleep till noon most days. O.k and can be corrected with little plan and coordination(daily goals, etc) compared to say, tardive dyskinesia and increase in blood sugar, which can happen with any psych meds. Pls. monitor."

Ism7 February 20, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medication has made me extremely tired! I feel like I've lost all of my motivation. I am a teacher and a coach and find it extremely hard to get myself "up" to do these things. I am very tired in the morning and its not until late at night that I start to feel like myself again. Only in time to take the medication again and start the process over. It has taken away some anxiety symptoms and helped me sleep (a bit too much) but I feel down a lot because I feel like I lost my passion. I am slowly coming off of it and look forward to getting back to feeling like myself again. I empathize with people on this medication."

Jbazz123 February 12, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medicine sucked! I was asleep all the time, all day long! Couldn't function in school, couldn't function at work. I was tired all the time and was eating every food that I saw in front of me. If I could give 0 stars to this medication I would."

laluluke (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2016

For Depression: "I took 3mgs of olanzapine every night for five years. This med worked like magic for a couple years, then I started having severe memory issues. This is when I found out the hard way, that quitting this medication without suffering is not possible. So I decided to taper slowly over a period of 6 more months. Even then, after tapering to almost nothing before quitting completely, I had anxiety, liquid stools, confusion, and severe memory problems."

Symbyax Hell February 4, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on Zyprexa for about six months. It takes a long time to work (about five months), but when it does you feel much better. I had to struggle with suicidal thoughts for several months before it started working. You HAVE to take this if you are bipolar. Do NOT stop taking it, and have hope. If you are down or up and are reading this then you have to remember suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary mood. I know the struggle, and Zyprexa will help if you keep taking it."

joru819 February 4, 2016