User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Borderline Personality Disorder 6 reviews 6 medications

Paranoid Disorder 6 reviews 2 medications

5.5
Anorexia Nervosa 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 0 reviews 48 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Olanzapine reviews 203 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Olanzapine

For Schizophrenia: "I have been on this medicine for about 2-3 weeks now and although I missed a dose a couple of times it has helped me greatly. Before going onto this medicine I was awake for 3 days straight with racing thoughts/extreme anxiety and agitation. I still have anxiety but I feel more calm and collected. In terms of treating psychosis I have given this medicine a 7/10 (so far) because although I am getting some paranoid thoughts still, it has enabled me to think more clearly and rationalize them better. They are no where near as intense as they were before starting this medicine. I was talking to objects and saying strange things to myself in the mirror... this no longer happens and I feel more 'normal'. This medicine is great in a number of ways."

LiamGamerr August 23, 2015

For Asperger Syndrome: "Caused massive weight gain-heart problems"

Notsoeasy July 29, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: "Zyprexa brought me out of a severe depression within a day or two. It has also been fairly helpful with anxiety/panic attacks. Unfortunately, I have gained over 40lbs and never feel full. It has also increased my cholesterol and fasting blood sugars. I've also noticed I don't have much energy or drive. Due to the metabolic issues my doctor wants me to try latuda."

Anonymous July 26, 2015

For Depression: "Zyprexa has given me my life back in 4 weeks! I have the worst panic attacks ever, anorexia and chronic nausea!! I have been on every medication under the sun with no relief, if not worse nausea because of the side effects of all the medications. I was on Klonopin, propranolol, hydroxyzine, and zofran every single day and I was still having really bad nausea and panic attacks so bad, I could not leave my house. Dr. prescribed Zyprexa 5mg and after 3 days, I started eating again. I have already gained 2 lbs but I needed to because I was so nauseated I couldn't eat. I'm so excited that I can eat again without feeling like I'm going to vomit!! I hope it doesn't "poop-out" on me bc It's been a miracle!!"

Shyllie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Zyprexa has given me my life back in 4 weeks! I have the worst panic attacks and chronic nausea ever!! I have been on every medication under the sun with no relief, if not worse nausea because of the side effects of all the medications. I was on Klonopin, propranolol, hydroxyzine, and zofran every single day and I was still having really bad nausea and panic attacks so bad, I could not leave my house. Dr. prescribed Zyprexa 5mg and after 3 days, I started eating again. I have already gained 2 lbs but I needed to because I was so nauseated I couldn't eat. I'm so excited that I can eat again without feeling everything is going to come back up!!!! I hope it doesn't "poop-out" on me bc It's been a miracle!!"

Shyllie July 24, 2015

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed Olanzpine for insomnia and it worked like a charm, was on 2.5 mg sometimes 5mg and would always get 8 - 10 hour sleep without waking, also no severe hangover effect the following morning. Downside is it significantly increases your appetite so you need to be cautious of subsequent weight gain thus I would only recommend olanzapine if you're suffering from a severe bout of insomnia."

Tim8998 July 24, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizophrenia: "This drug has turned down the volume on a lot of my voices. Which is great. I sleep better and take more naps during the day. Also notice my appetite increased which is where I think people mean they gain weight on this med. I just exercise an hour a day. My mood is kinda flat lined."

schizoeffective (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2015

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "This drug will make you fat and stupid, not only that but you will sleep more than a hibernating bear for the first couple months. Followed by a strong crappy Lathargic feeling. Food will become your best friend even if you are a skinny minny like me with a small stomach and not much of a capacity to intake, expect that to change, luckily I've always been thin about 113lbs and I'm 5'2 on Zyprexa I gained until 140lbs, and a lot of it was water. Heart disease runs in my family this denotes high blood pressure and blood sugar being on this water/fat pill. I'm personally safer not being on this medication."

kitty p July 20, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: "This medication has made me unemotional and boring and like many others I'm forever hungry. I have put on an insane amount of weight, admittedly needed, due to suffering anorexia, but when I started on this medication I weighed 37kg and 6 months later nearly doubled to 65 kg. This I feel is an unnatural weight gain in such a short time, and now I don't go out due to feeling bad about how I look."

Chook123 July 20, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Its very odd to take this preparation under 17 years of age but i did and i gain weight with this best for my manic panic attacks i'll give it 10 my weight was only 42 kgs before i'd taken this and now 6 months have gone and i am 63 kgs by now YOO!! yippiee!!! sounds great thanks Olanzapine 5mg"

SheikhFaizeNabi July 17, 2015

For Agitation: "Terrible side effects from Ssri and ssnri. Lexapro and celexa kept me in bed for a week before stopping. Others made my crawl out of my skin. I take 2.5 mg at bed and wake up with a great energy level! I have terrible anxiety all day long and this has made it go away! Love love love that I feel back to my old self. I had my first panic attack while driving and so although I force myself to do it I hated how exhausting it was. Only a week on this new Med has been a game changer. I started getting anxiety and panic attacks years ago for no good reason. I love life and was not stressed about anything. Anxiety turned my life upside down. Only a week on this I will update in a month."

Rsre (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "This was just not the drug for me. While it did make me more level, I had a lot if side effects. I experienced compulsive eating, so i did gain weight. I was always tired and slept in late, and when I could finally get out of bed I felt like a zombie. I was very crabby and irritable... It was breastfeeding friendly and kept me relatively level so it did the job, but I was very happy to finally get switched off it when I weaned my son."

cspong (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "For effectiveness I would give 10, but it caused some serious side effects - massive weight gain, very high blood sugar and raised triglycerides."

be2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "If I could give this a zero rating I would...I was put on this medicine at 16 and it intensified all my issues.....It made me go into constant fits of rage and I gained almost 50 pounds...By far the worst medicine I've taken"

Marr June 25, 2015

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I have tried so many medications over the years to treat depression and BPD. My doctor prescribed this medication and I know this sounds silly but I could feel it's effects the second day. Getting back to my old self. No emotional out bursts of anger. On the road to recovery!!"

Jim R. (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2015

For Depression: "Olanzapine is great for bringing down a manic episode but can hinder recovery as it made me feel so depressed. On 2.5 mg and going to come off as it makes me so low and depressed. I sleep for about 15 hrs and have no interest in anything. It's helped with my anxiety but would rather feel anxious than live with the depression I am counting down the minutes till the day is over. Previous have done this and have felt better within days, longest I've stayed on it this time but also longest I've felt depressed. Will let you know how I get on"

Robin Redbreast June 20, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medicine is very effective for bipolar. Before this, I cannot sleep at night, because my mind race. Finally after taken this I feel wonderful and no depressed anymore.. The effect is weight gain, before this my weight just around 74 kg, now it went to 99 kg..."

Mica89 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 12, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizophrenia: "Everything is worse so much worse this medicine has intensified everything and I have a ton of side effects"

Sick within well it's mine (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine) for Schizophrenia: "Made me dizzy."

justin4939 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been taking this in combination with Citalopram 40mg for about 7 years. This drug controlled my racing thoughts and allowed me to sleep properly. My initial dose was 7.5mg but I am now down to 2.5mg. For me now it feels that 7.5mg was a very strong dose but I needed it at the time. I had no negative side effects. No withdrawal on reducing dosage. I don't suffer undue hunger - actually for me my depression contributed to a lack of appetite so any effect was actually beneficial to me. For me it worked wonders and enabled me to work. I think with all these drugs there are different effects on different people and each person is also suffering a unique conditions. I was lucky in that my doctor hit on the right combination for me day 1"

BillyBob1457 May 19, 2015

For Schizophrenia: "Works great for schizophrenia like symptoms, still have some traces of voices however but the symptoms are VERY suppressed and not noticeable. The medication changed my aggression symptoms into neutral/muted emotions. Sex drive is completely gone. Cannot have orgasms and I gained 30 pounds in a month. I have a problem controlling my eating on this medication. I barely feel the sedation from whence I had first started. I highly recommend this medication for psychotic symptoms. I am currently on 20 mg per day before bed."

jl4190 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "For the amount of calmness I got from this drug, I was still physically alert and able. That's more than can say for most antipsychotics. It helped me sleep, and the following day my anxieties were lessened. I also found weird glimmers of hope in things, that had to be my depression lifting. It's a miracle to me. However, I gained 20 pounds in one month, and the doctor saw that as a reason to get me off the drug. Food had this crazy magnetism about it; it quickly became the most valuable thing on the planet, and I was having cravings for food unlike anything I've ever craved. If you can take the drug without binge eating, congratulations, because it works. Still, most people on this are overweight."

Steve Stevenson (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2015

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Had a few paranoid weird thoughts while weaning off slowly from 5mg to 2.5mg zyprexa. So my doc has given me some time off work and bumped up my dose to 10mg. It hasn't been long enough for me to notice a change in my thoughts just a bit less anxious."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 17, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I've been on zyprexa since 2006. Although it causes weight gain, I've decided to weight train or do cardio for an hour every day, which is helping. The weight can continue, but from my experience, it was only when I was inactive. I also feel a little sedated but that doesn't keep me from doing things. The hallucinations are about 90% gone. Overall, zyprexa works for me as it's one of the two drugs that worked because most of the other drugs I tried were not effective, reacted with my skin, or did nothing."

chocobo (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 17, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Paranoid Disorder: "Helped in the beginning of the first few weeks,but later my mood became more paranoid. I'm not saying this medicine will make you paranoid, but it doesn't work for me. Plus it does make you gain weight like 40lbs. in 8 weeks."

JimB56985 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 15, 2015