User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Agitation 4 reviews 6 medications

Paranoid Disorder 7 reviews 2 medications

Tourette's Syndrome 1 reviews 12 medications

Summary of Olanzapine reviews 261 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Olanzapine

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on zyprexa for 5 days so far. I have been taking 2.5mg and I think I need to up the dose now to 5mg as it feels like it is wearing off. this medication is doing wonders for me, it is great! I can finally have 8 hours of un-disturbed sleep. Prior to commencing this medication, I was suffering from severe symptoms of mania such as insomnia, loss of appetite, high energy levels, psychotic symptoms (hearing voices, derealisation, making weird connections & magical experiences), making new plans, reckless spending & driving, new ideas, taking on too many tasks, agitation. the medication has calmed all of these symptoms. zyprexa is a god send for me. only side effect I have is low blood pressure from it."

Nataaaaalieee (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2016

For Insomnia: "This is the only medicine I have taken for insomnia that helps me sleep. at least seven hours. Only drawback is if I take too late at nite I am drowsy for few hours when I wake up."

Deltagirl424 April 16, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: "Was on Zyprexa from Mar 2015 till Aug 2015. At first it seemed like it was mellowing me out a bit, and I could sleep through the whole night, which was an improvement. After a few months I noticed my depression was getting much worse. Came off the drug cold turkey, and went through one of the most serious withdrawals one could face. Depression, severe anxiety, PTSD, night terrors took over. To this day Apr 2016, I have still not returned to the way I was before I started taking this horrible drug. Depression and anxiety are still bad, not as bad as 6 mos ago, but still worse than when I first started taking it. I'm convinced this drug can cause permanent brain damage."

rb1979 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

For Schizophrenia: "Less agression, no weight gain, no increased appetite, taken 5mg for 8 months. Happy, normal,active life now."

Medical turnaround (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Insomnia: "It's Definetely was a love/hate relationship with Zyprexa. I have tried virtually every sleep drug available, and it was one of the best because it not only put me to sleep, but it also KEPT me asleep for 8 hours. Started at 2.5mg, then 5mg, & eventually 7.5. It did take a long time to kick in though, so I had to take it 2 hours before bedtime. But like everybody who takes this, I gained weight. But I found the 1 way you can actually lose weight on this drug, which is to combine exercise with Atkins diet (low carb). Zyprexa gives you metabolic syndrome. You no longer burn carbs, which means all carbs you eat becomes body fat, which is why you become fat on this stuff (so you have to stop eating carbs). I got off this drug after 1 year."

Chronic Insomniac (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 27, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Insomnia: "I have been prescribed Zyprexa 10mg just two days ago. It was prescribed for insomnia and an extra medication for my depression. I have not slept as well as I was told I would. I have had major restlessness in my legs and arms to where I haven't slept well at all. I have felt very drowsy during the day. I have also tried Ambein which also gave me restlessness in my legs. Not sure if this is right one for me either. Maybe I just need more time? I have noticed I am eating more throughout the day. Not worried about that so much since I need to put on some weight."

Sleepy Lady March 24, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Borderline Personality Disorder: "Extremely helpful when used as needed for extreme rage or fear, it re-balances my perspective and helps me keep in touch with reality. However when I used Zyprexa daily it did not help as much."

Aroehed (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 24, 2016

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine) for Borderline Personality Disorder: "Worst,make me feel extremely dizzy & about to pass out any time soon...I even fall off on my bathroom floor cause unable to stand still.I take it at night but the effects are still there when i wake up in the morning!"

Yogi8720 (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "I am currently on Zyprexa, it's a miracle since it took the voices and hallucinations away. Life is good in that sense but it's given me acne and I am gaining weight, like alot. I also have no emotions not happy sad or any at all. I am a zombie these days but no other drug has taken the voices away so I think I will stay on it for a while."

LissMiss2 March 9, 2016

For Insomnia: "Success, success, success! I have been on and off olanzapine since I was 18 years old, more off like 99% off and I can say my sleep has been horrible but now I take olanzapine every second night, 10MG and I sleep approximately 8 hours a night. No hangover effects like taking 10MG a night. Shit, doctors say to take 10MG a night are they crazy? why don't they try and take olanzapine before they dose up and ruin lifes. I have taken 10MG a night in the past nightly and it's virtually impossible to get out of bed and during the day you can't think or talk like a human being, I become a social introvert. Doctors want to take this? Only side effect I can say with olanzapine is appetite up/weight gain carbs so watch diet *paleo* carbs kill/weight"

BipolarGuy01 March 7, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Stops dead on track those manic/depressive crisis moments. And I love the hunger it gives me. Great pill for me. My AP of choice. Always take this with .5 or 1 mg of clonazepam. ;-)"

corvohunter (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I have had great improvements with my depression and mood swings with zyprexa and prozac. This seems to go like peanut butter and jelly. I can't say for sure it's the med's, but my suicidal thoughts are pretty much gone completely, and I thought that would never happen!!! Thank God!!!!"

BPD GUY February 24, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Very effective medication if you can handle the side effects. I gained over 100 pounds from this medication. But the medication does work. That's why I am still on it. I now get a Zyprexa injection once a month (used to get it twice a month) and I take an oral tablet at night before bed. I take a Topamax pill now so I don't gain as much weight anymore. The other side effect is fatigue and lethargy but it's worth the side effects to stay stable and out of the hospital."

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "I will say good for the most part. My wife was on zyprexa for a while but did not like it (did not know exactly why) and was chaotic. Hospitalization after hospitalization. But since switched to 20 mg olanzapine hcl, it's like a night and day difference, and things are normal again. No more catatonia, abnormal activities, or thinking everybody is an enemy and conspiring. Now she takes daily doses on own without been reminded. Ask and actively participate in refills. Only drawback is the increase in appetite and likes to sleep till noon most days. O.k and can be corrected with little plan and coordination(daily goals, etc) compared to say, tardive dyskinesia and increase in blood sugar, which can happen with any psych meds. Pls. monitor."

Ism7 February 20, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medication has made me extremely tired! I feel like I've lost all of my motivation. I am a teacher and a coach and find it extremely hard to get myself "up" to do these things. I am very tired in the morning and its not until late at night that I start to feel like myself again. Only in time to take the medication again and start the process over. It has taken away some anxiety symptoms and helped me sleep (a bit too much) but I feel down a lot because I feel like I lost my passion. I am slowly coming off of it and look forward to getting back to feeling like myself again. I empathize with people on this medication."

Jbazz123 February 12, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medicine sucked! I was asleep all the time, all day long! Couldn't function in school, couldn't function at work. I was tired all the time and was eating every food that I saw in front of me. If I could give 0 stars to this medication I would."

laluluke (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2016

For Depression: "I took 3mgs of olanzapine every night for five years. This med worked like magic for a couple years, then I started having severe memory issues. This is when I found out the hard way, that quitting this medication without suffering is not possible. So I decided to taper slowly over a period of 6 more months. Even then, after tapering to almost nothing before quitting completely, I had anxiety, liquid stools, confusion, and severe memory problems."

Symbyax Hell February 4, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on Zyprexa for about six months. It takes a long time to work (about five months), but when it does you feel much better. I had to struggle with suicidal thoughts for several months before it started working. You HAVE to take this if you are bipolar. Do NOT stop taking it, and have hope. If you are down or up and are reading this then you have to remember suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary mood. I know the struggle, and Zyprexa will help if you keep taking it."

joru819 February 4, 2016

For Depression: "The medication treated my bipolar disorder and PTSD wonderfully. I was happy with no real manic episodes or episodes of depression. Recently I have started sleep walking on the medication and it is scary. I get out of bed to go to the bathroom and fall asleep walking there and don't remember what I did. I have fallen asleep standing up and awaken falling backwards. I have started barricading myself in the room so as not to be of a problem to my housemates. I have reported the sleep walking to my mental health clinic but they say it is not a known side effect. I sleep for 4 hours and I am manic for 12. What a life. I am going back on it tonight because the manic episodes are getting worse. I asked for help with this problem for a week."

majorthom February 3, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Very effective but beware of cardiac side effects, I ended up in hospital with severe long QT interval so get an ECG when you start this drug, the withdrawals are also horrific"

Jonnyb1490 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

For Depression: "This drug did horrible damaged my life! When I went on this medication, no one told me I would gain 60 pounds in a matter of months! I would have never gone on it. Even after getting off the drug I could not loose that weight. Fortunately, after 10 years, a doctor suggested testosterone therapy in hopes it would take the weight off. It was a miracle! I lost about 45 lbs. BUT I also lost 10 years of my life. Now I have permanent damage to my skin. Excess skin on my face and body after I lost the weight. The doctors tell me it won't return to its original state because I gained the weight so fast. I was a zombie while on the drug. Don't let your loved ones take it! I want to cry when I look in the mirror at my body now!"

ColoradoMike (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "This is not a good medicine for me. I'm glad it helps other people, but it makes my body feel like I weigh a thousand pounds, and I can barely move after I wake up the next day after taking it. It makes sleep for more than 14 hours, and it takes another 4 hours to just be able to stand after I wake up. Not a good med for me, I hope others have better experiences."

Fred11123 January 21, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizophrenia: "An amazing medication considering the earlier antiphsycotics available, I think its more expensive that could effect availability. I do suffer from shaky hands but its the only side effect noticed.I take 20mg at night, it doesn't make me sleepy, no weight gain or hangover effect. Don't increase the dose it doesn't help it just gives restless legs and I was informed a dangerous to increase"

Nutty Rich (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2016

For Depression: "I loved zyprexa just in 1 week, my friends surprising me (u have been fat) (u look great) I gained 4kg just in 1 week I'm underweight 60kg and I'm continuing zyprexa 5mg happily :)"

Kurdishboy December 29, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "My mother has been taking olanzapine 5mg once a day for a month. This medicine is really a great help for her. She has enough sleep every night but sometimes when her manic stage overpower her she does crazy things again. She never listens to us, she says "you're are just my daughter!!!! leave me alone!!!" So me and younger my siblings planned some dramatic scenes. I immitate actions words and portray that I am also like her, its an effective strategy..medication plus dramatic counseling"

adwa (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2015