User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Asperger Syndrome 1 reviews 4 medications

6.5
Anorexia Nervosa 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 0 reviews 47 medications Not rated - Be the first
Tourette's Syndrome 0 reviews 12 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Olanzapine reviews 145 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Olanzapine

Review by yayo53 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: Great medicine but I cannot stop gaining weight

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 3:55 PM

Review by rebeccak3165:

For Bipolar Disorder: I'm 30 years old been diagnosed with bipolar effective disorder with anxiety, I'm on olanzpine and its absolutely brilliant, I take olanzpine 10mg at night and 3 diazapam 5mg now down to 2mg 3 times a day, I was put on quetiapine but had to stop that on my 4th day, it caused me to be aggressive and I felt I was put in a coma for days I was nearly sectioned. I would give olanzpine a 10 but it makes you go to the fridge and binge eat lol. But I rather be fat and happy.

April 18, 2014 10:32 AM

Review by Psych rn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa Intramuscular (olanzapine) for Agitation: Three years in psychiatric corrections/ forensics. Works fast on patients that are hostile and combative. Approximative acting time of 10/15minutes to relax with correct dose.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 10, 2014 3:45 AM

Review by BPDmat (taken for less than 1 month):

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I'm on 2.5mg twice a day and It really helps regulating my intense rapid mood swings!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2014 3:43 AM

Review by danand2006 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I would give Zyprexa a 10 rating except for the weight gain. I have bipolar 1 and have a lot more mania than depression. I have psychotic symptoms also and racing thoughts a lot. It did make me very tired the first couple of weeks but then it worked perfect except for the weight gain so I am not on it anymore.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 8, 2014 2:03 PM

Review by Donna-1 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Bipolar Disorder: Took 40mg per day for about a year before I really "came back to life." It helped me sleep but was too sedating overall. It helped me reverse anorexia but I doubled my weight (gained 93 lbs in a few months.) It did stop the psychosis. Was able to feel emotions again after years of numbness. Took varying doses for 17 yrs and had very hard time getting off it when the time was right. Have been off 5 months now and am considering starting again because of severe insomnia & mood swings. Hate the weight gain and lethargy.

February 24, 2014 3:30 AM

Review by ero (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Olanzapine significantly cleared my head, I am plus 10kg, I am not sure if the pills are the cause but I feel no emotions, very hard to find motivation to do something when nothing is enjoyable.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2014 4:52 PM

Review by tried everything (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: Would give this a 10. Have tried every anxiety/depression, SSRIs and MAOIs, etc. out there. One day on this and I felt wonderful, like I woke up as a new normal person. Yes you may gain a lot of weight but only if you eat carbs. You just cannot take this and eat chips, candy, etc. Lean meats, proteins and veg and you will have NO problems, the effect is worth it. If you can put the fork down, it can change your life. My Dr. warned me about the potential for weight gain, but told me he thought I had the willpower to resist the cravings to eat junk, which I did. Try it.

January 10, 2014 9:40 PM

Review by silence solace (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I have been on almost all of the available antipsychotics, and olanzapine/Zyprexa is by far the most "normalizing" and stabilizing medicine of them all that I've ever been on. I have been on clozapine also, but olanzapine has less risks. I gained a lot of weight on it, but at least it lets me focus, concentrate on having a decent life.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2014 12:46 AM

Review by jigsrybv:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have bipolar 1 disorder. Started with 5mg Zyprexa, now am on 7.5mg at night. I find it really helps me with my moods. Some of the side effects for me are swollen ankles, weight gain and sedative effect throughout the day.

December 12, 2013 10:48 PM

Review by Nicholasfromnc:

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine) for Schizophrenia: Good for emergency situations. Versatile, quick acting, wish it came in 10mg tabs.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2013 3:38 AM

Review by Panda_Bear101 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: This drug did its job. It stopped any mood swings for the most part, but the biggest downside was that I bloated up and slept heavily. I put on maybe, 10-20kgs whilst on this drug (I was on it for 2 years). Effective nontheless.

November 2, 2013 7:38 AM

For Depression: Zyprexa has been a wonder drug for me. After 10 years of serious depression and Bipolar 1 disorder and several different meds this medication saved my life. After 9 hospitalizations and 2 suicide attempts I was put on 10 mg. of Zyprexa and have been stable for 3 years. This medicine has been a Godsend!

October 28, 2013 5:39 PM

Review by Renay224:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: I have been on this medicine for about 3 weeks now. I wake up hungry, drenched in sweat, and have also gained 15 pounds. Im thinking about getting off this medication. I have also had crying spells, irritability, and mood swings, then some other days I have felt fine. Its weird. I'm going to give it a few more weeks, and if nothing improves as far as my moods i will get off of it.

October 22, 2013 6:55 PM

Review by krystle24:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on 5mg tablet for almost 2 yrs. I started off on one tab a night then cut my dose down to half tab, currently taking 1/4 tab during the day because I always miss my alarm if I take it at night. I over sleep way to much, always tired, brain feels foggy. I've gained 30 pounds and its getting harder to take it off. I'm always hungry and always thirsty. It helps with behaviors. I still flip out but way less often.

September 25, 2013 8:28 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Insomnia: I used Zyprexa (2.5mg) at night for insomnia caused by anxiety and obsessive thoughts. It is the only thing that helped me sleep that is not addictive and actually worked. It also helped my appetite because when I don't sleep well I don't feel like eating much either. This medication helped with that also. Unfortunately I cannot use it often because it causes my blood sugar to shoot up sky high and I don't like the risk of tardive dyskinesia. I only take a very small dose when I haven't slept in awhile.

September 17, 2013 5:10 AM

Review by Darrend1:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: I've tried many medications for depression, and I haven't felt this normal in 25 years thanks to Zyprexa.

September 5, 2013 9:51 PM

Review by Kasey1994:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I am a 19 yo girl and I have bipolar disorder 2 and suffer anxiety and depression, so my doctor prescribed 10mg Zyprexa daily. I had HORRIBLE side effects. In four months I gained 20kg, developed cystic acne and my thinking was slow and foggy. Any self confidence I had or pride in my appearance evaporated completely. The worst part is I still had the anxiety and the depression (although I didn't expect an antipsychotic to help with depression). I'm so glad I'm not on it anymore. Zyprexa was definitely not for me.

August 13, 2013 9:52 AM

Review by clicky (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: This medication is a miracle for me. Not only did it take me out of my mania, but it left me in a place that was workable. I take 15mg before sleep, along with my 100mg Trazodone, and I sleep like a rock. When I wake up, there is hardly any grogginess like there was with the Seroquel. I would recommend this medicine to anyone suffering from bipolar 1 severe, or any type of mania.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2013 6:13 PM

Review by JJVEE:

For Bipolar Disorder: Works well, and works fast. Do not be afraid to talk with your doctor about increasing the dosage early on if it is only working a little bit, especially if you have tried a lot of the other anti-psychotics before. I am bipolar 1, severe with psychotic features- about as intense as it gets for bipolar- and olanzapine finally did it. I started off at 5mg the first day at night, the next day 10, and then 15mg the following day with 5mg taken in the morning. This medicine works very well for my anxiety, as well. I highly recommend this medication.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2013 9:29 AM

Review by Jon.W:

For Bipolar Disorder: Olanzapine is the best medicine I have ever taken, all the other medicines made me either erratic or a zombie. I have an almost symptomless existence on it (part from a bit of enjoyable hypomania). I feel stable, clear and ready to conquer the world. People close to me notice if I've had a dip, and are quick to tell me. It's taken a long time and I now trust people when they are telling me I'm ill.

July 2, 2013 10:45 AM

Review by ms pimpin thang (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have literally been on every medication you can think of. Prozac, Zoloft, Geodon, Haldol, Effexor, Risperdal, Abilify, Xanax, clonazepam and the list doesn't stop but Zyprexa did it! None of them seemed to help until I tried Zyprexa! I do not have to take anxiety medicines anymore because somehow Zyprexa took care of that also and my anxiety used to be so bad.

June 27, 2013 5:01 PM

Review by Katzendame:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: It's great for anxiety and moods. It's helped a lot. Only bad thing is weight gain. I have gone up 2 dress sizes, craving a lot of junk food as well.

June 7, 2013 3:42 AM

Review by kestrel28 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: I started taking Zyprexa over two years ago for intrusive thoughts I was having as a result of Obsessive compulsive disorder/depression. While the Zyprexa helped remove intrusive thinking, it added about thirty pounds onto my slender frame, made me severely tired, and took away my sex drive. In addition to these adverse effects, I was unmotivated/uninterested in many activities that used to give me pleasure. I had a "so what" attitude about life in general. All because of this medicine. What really frightened me about taking this was my cholesterol went sky high, and my blood sugar was also very high, making me an at risk candidate for diabetes. I am finally off of this.

May 25, 2013 5:27 AM

Review by Crawling (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I loved this medicine, it stabilized me, helped me sleep without being too drowsy but sadly I have had to be moved off because I gained 4 stone. But that is the only side effect I had.

April 5, 2013 4:00 AM