User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Asperger Syndrome 1 reviews 4 medications

Tourette's Syndrome 1 reviews 12 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications

Anorexia Nervosa 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 0 reviews 48 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Olanzapine reviews 149 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Olanzapine

Review by Rivvi98 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizophrenia: Kept my schizophrenia in check but way too sedating. Gained 20 pounds in 6 months, hard to wake up in morning, going to try something else.

October 14, 2014 2:22 PM

Review by June6743:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: It made my delusions disappear but made me gain weight and I still experience some paranoia, though I'm on 5mg once a day which is a low dosage (won't increase it since I don't want to gain more weight)

August 30, 2014 11:00 AM

Review by TourettesOCD (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Tourette's Syndrome: The first time I was prescribed Olanzapine I was on it for about 5-6 months. The tics were reduced by about half which was great for me. However I soon realized that there were subtle side effects which had horrible results. The medicine made me very hungry which meant I ate a lot more and as a result I gained around 20 pounds in a very short period of time. Another side effect was drowsiness and lethargy. I slept a lot and took naps during the day. I trialed the medicine again recently and the same side effects occurred so I have had to stop this medicine and try something else.

August 25, 2014 12:49 PM

Review by Debbbiiieee (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Made me really psychotic.

August 20, 2014 11:22 AM

Review by yayo53 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: Great medicine but I cannot stop gaining weight

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 3:55 PM

Review by rebeccak3165:

For Bipolar Disorder: I'm 30 years old been diagnosed with bipolar effective disorder with anxiety, I'm on olanzpine and its absolutely brilliant, I take olanzpine 10mg at night and 3 diazapam 5mg now down to 2mg 3 times a day, I was put on quetiapine but had to stop that on my 4th day, it caused me to be aggressive and I felt I was put in a coma for days I was nearly sectioned. I would give olanzpine a 10 but it makes you go to the fridge and binge eat lol. But I rather be fat and happy.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2014 10:32 AM

Review by Psych rn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa Intramuscular (olanzapine) for Agitation: Three years in psychiatric corrections/ forensics. Works fast on patients that are hostile and combative. Approximative acting time of 10/15minutes to relax with correct dose.

April 10, 2014 3:45 AM

Review by BPDmat (taken for less than 1 month):

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I'm on 2.5mg twice a day and It really helps regulating my intense rapid mood swings!

April 1, 2014 3:43 AM

Review by danand2006 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I would give Zyprexa a 10 rating except for the weight gain. I have bipolar 1 and have a lot more mania than depression. I have psychotic symptoms also and racing thoughts a lot. It did make me very tired the first couple of weeks but then it worked perfect except for the weight gain so I am not on it anymore.

March 8, 2014 2:03 PM

Review by Donna-1 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Bipolar Disorder: Took 40mg per day for about a year before I really "came back to life." It helped me sleep but was too sedating overall. It helped me reverse anorexia but I doubled my weight (gained 93 lbs in a few months.) It did stop the psychosis. Was able to feel emotions again after years of numbness. Took varying doses for 17 yrs and had very hard time getting off it when the time was right. Have been off 5 months now and am considering starting again because of severe insomnia & mood swings. Hate the weight gain and lethargy.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2014 3:30 AM

Review by ero (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Olanzapine significantly cleared my head, I am plus 10kg, I am not sure if the pills are the cause but I feel no emotions, very hard to find motivation to do something when nothing is enjoyable.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2014 4:52 PM

Review by tried everything (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: Would give this a 10. Have tried every anxiety/depression, SSRIs and MAOIs, etc. out there. One day on this and I felt wonderful, like I woke up as a new normal person. Yes you may gain a lot of weight but only if you eat carbs. You just cannot take this and eat chips, candy, etc. Lean meats, proteins and veg and you will have NO problems, the effect is worth it. If you can put the fork down, it can change your life. My Dr. warned me about the potential for weight gain, but told me he thought I had the willpower to resist the cravings to eat junk, which I did. Try it.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2014 9:40 PM

Review by silence solace (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I have been on almost all of the available antipsychotics, and olanzapine/Zyprexa is by far the most "normalizing" and stabilizing medicine of them all that I've ever been on. I have been on clozapine also, but olanzapine has less risks. I gained a lot of weight on it, but at least it lets me focus, concentrate on having a decent life.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2014 12:46 AM

Review by jigsrybv:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have bipolar 1 disorder. Started with 5mg Zyprexa, now am on 7.5mg at night. I find it really helps me with my moods. Some of the side effects for me are swollen ankles, weight gain and sedative effect throughout the day.

December 12, 2013 10:48 PM

Review by Nicholasfromnc:

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine) for Schizophrenia: Good for emergency situations. Versatile, quick acting, wish it came in 10mg tabs.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2013 3:38 AM

Review by Panda_Bear101 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: This drug did its job. It stopped any mood swings for the most part, but the biggest downside was that I bloated up and slept heavily. I put on maybe, 10-20kgs whilst on this drug (I was on it for 2 years). Effective nontheless.

November 2, 2013 7:38 AM

For Depression: Zyprexa has been a wonder drug for me. After 10 years of serious depression and Bipolar 1 disorder and several different meds this medication saved my life. After 9 hospitalizations and 2 suicide attempts I was put on 10 mg. of Zyprexa and have been stable for 3 years. This medicine has been a Godsend!

October 28, 2013 5:39 PM

Review by Renay224:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: I have been on this medicine for about 3 weeks now. I wake up hungry, drenched in sweat, and have also gained 15 pounds. Im thinking about getting off this medication. I have also had crying spells, irritability, and mood swings, then some other days I have felt fine. Its weird. I'm going to give it a few more weeks, and if nothing improves as far as my moods i will get off of it.

October 22, 2013 6:55 PM

Review by krystle24:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on 5mg tablet for almost 2 yrs. I started off on one tab a night then cut my dose down to half tab, currently taking 1/4 tab during the day because I always miss my alarm if I take it at night. I over sleep way to much, always tired, brain feels foggy. I've gained 30 pounds and its getting harder to take it off. I'm always hungry and always thirsty. It helps with behaviors. I still flip out but way less often.

September 25, 2013 8:28 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Insomnia: I used Zyprexa (2.5mg) at night for insomnia caused by anxiety and obsessive thoughts. It is the only thing that helped me sleep that is not addictive and actually worked. It also helped my appetite because when I don't sleep well I don't feel like eating much either. This medication helped with that also. Unfortunately I cannot use it often because it causes my blood sugar to shoot up sky high and I don't like the risk of tardive dyskinesia. I only take a very small dose when I haven't slept in awhile.

September 17, 2013 5:10 AM

Review by Darrend1:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: I've tried many medications for depression, and I haven't felt this normal in 25 years thanks to Zyprexa.

September 5, 2013 9:51 PM

Review by Kasey1994:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I am a 19 yo girl and I have bipolar disorder 2 and suffer anxiety and depression, so my doctor prescribed 10mg Zyprexa daily. I had HORRIBLE side effects. In four months I gained 20kg, developed cystic acne and my thinking was slow and foggy. Any self confidence I had or pride in my appearance evaporated completely. The worst part is I still had the anxiety and the depression (although I didn't expect an antipsychotic to help with depression). I'm so glad I'm not on it anymore. Zyprexa was definitely not for me.

August 13, 2013 9:52 AM

Review by clicky (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: This medication is a miracle for me. Not only did it take me out of my mania, but it left me in a place that was workable. I take 15mg before sleep, along with my 100mg Trazodone, and I sleep like a rock. When I wake up, there is hardly any grogginess like there was with the Seroquel. I would recommend this medicine to anyone suffering from bipolar 1 severe, or any type of mania.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2013 6:13 PM

Review by JJVEE:

For Bipolar Disorder: Works well, and works fast. Do not be afraid to talk with your doctor about increasing the dosage early on if it is only working a little bit, especially if you have tried a lot of the other anti-psychotics before. I am bipolar 1, severe with psychotic features- about as intense as it gets for bipolar- and olanzapine finally did it. I started off at 5mg the first day at night, the next day 10, and then 15mg the following day with 5mg taken in the morning. This medicine works very well for my anxiety, as well. I highly recommend this medication.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2013 9:29 AM

Review by Jon.W:

For Bipolar Disorder: Olanzapine is the best medicine I have ever taken, all the other medicines made me either erratic or a zombie. I have an almost symptomless existence on it (part from a bit of enjoyable hypomania). I feel stable, clear and ready to conquer the world. People close to me notice if I've had a dip, and are quick to tell me. It's taken a long time and I now trust people when they are telling me I'm ill.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate