User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Asperger Syndrome 1 reviews 4 medications

Paranoid Disorder 6 reviews 2 medications

5.5
Anorexia Nervosa 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 0 reviews 48 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Olanzapine reviews 184 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Olanzapine

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I have been taking this in combination with Citalopram 40mg for about 7 years. This drug controlled my racing thoughts and allowed me to sleep properly. My initial dose was 7.5mg but I am now down to 2.5mg. For me now it feels that 7.5mg was a very strong dose but I needed it at the time. I had no negative side effects. No withdrawal on reducing dosage. I don't suffer undue hunger - actually for me my depression contributed to a lack of appetite so any effect was actually beneficial to me. For me it worked wonders and enabled me to work. I think with all these drugs there are different effects on different people and each person is also suffering a unique conditions. I was lucky in that my doctor hit on the right combination for me day 1"

BillyBob1457 May 19, 2015

For Schizophrenia: "Works great for schizophrenia like symptoms, still have some traces of voices however but the symptoms are VERY suppressed and not noticeable. The medication changed my aggression symptoms into neutral/muted emotions. Sex drive is completely gone. Cannot have orgasms and I gained 30 pounds in a month. I have a problem controlling my eating on this medication. I barely feel the sedation from whence I had first started. I highly recommend this medication for psychotic symptoms. I am currently on 20 mg per day before bed."

jl4190 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "For the amount of calmness I got from this drug, I was still physically alert and able. That's more than can say for most antipsychotics. It helped me sleep, and the following day my anxieties were lessened. I also found weird glimmers of hope in things, that had to be my depression lifting. It's a miracle to me. However, I gained 20 pounds in one month, and the doctor saw that as a reason to get me off the drug. Food had this crazy magnetism about it; it quickly became the most valuable thing on the planet, and I was having cravings for food unlike anything I've ever craved. If you can take the drug without binge eating, congratulations, because it works. Still, most people on this are overweight."

Steve Stevenson (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2015

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Had a few paranoid weird thoughts while weaning off slowly from 5mg to 2.5mg zyprexa. So my doc has given me some time off work and bumped up my dose to 10mg. It hasn't been long enough for me to notice a change in my thoughts just a bit less anxious."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 17, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I've been on zyprexa since 2006. Although it causes weight gain, I've decided to weight train or do cardio for an hour every day, which is helping. The weight can continue, but from my experience, it was only when I was inactive. I also feel a little sedated but that doesn't keep me from doing things. The hallucinations are about 90% gone. Overall, zyprexa works for me as it's one of the two drugs that worked because most of the other drugs I tried were not effective, reacted with my skin, or did nothing."

chocobo (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 17, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Paranoid Disorder: "Helped in the beginning of the first few weeks,but later my mood became more paranoid. I'm not saying this medicine will make you paranoid, but it doesn't work for me. Plus it does make you gain weight like 40lbs. in 8 weeks."

JimB56985 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 15, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Paranoid Disorder: "It was OK. I gained alot of weight on it. I went from 210 to 255pounds in four months. Didn't help my suspicious behavior. I think Seroquel XR was a better drug for me, but I had to take a very high dose of Seroquel XR. I'm considering asking the doctor to put me on an old psychotic med like Prolixin. I have had some good results but I stopped the meds early because I was afraid of all the side effects especially tardia dys."

ClarkGabel (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2015

For Insomnia: "I take 5 mg of olanzapine and this medicine does help me sleep well at night. I think it's a good medicine."

L.A. (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 10, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder: "I just started taking the drug olanzapine. However I having problems with rapid weight gain.. In only 6 days of taking the drug, I have gained 6 pounds. Tomorrow, I'm starting to exercise at least 20 minutes a day. Mentally, I am feeling much better. I am currently taking 5 mgs of Olanzapine along with 40 mgs of Fluoxetine once daily for major depressive disorder. I know this medication is working because I am willing to exercise. So far, so good."

Nitababy April 6, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Insomnia: "This medicine is a God send. I've tried every sleeping pill in the book (Ambien, Trazodone, Seroquel, Elavil, ETC.) None of them would keep me asleep the whole night. 10mg of this and I sleep like a baby and don't have the racing thoughts. Only problem is it's real hard to get out of bed and get moving."

nicsnice33 (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed as bipolar in 1987.I've always been treatment resistant. Nothing and I mean no meds have ever helped me before.I've tried everything over the years only to have bad side effects and no relief. ECT was actually being recommended to me then my Dr put me on a Zyprexa/ Prozac combination and for the first time in my life I've gotten relief from my symptoms and no side effects. I can finally think clearly. I feel like a totally new person a much better one."

LocaWhetta March 24, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: "I am in shock as to the MIRACLE of Olanzipine. A 2 year severe depression, with extreme anxiety, insomnia, and paranoia DISAPEARED the first week on this medicine. Before, my depression was so bad, I stopped brushing my hair, I could barely function, my sadness so profound. After 1 week on Zyprexa, I am finally back to myself, taking good care of myself, sadness is 90% gone, smiling again!"

TheGoodWife42 March 22, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "Been on and off olanzapine for 15 years. Varying doses. As high as 15mg per day currently on 2.5mg per day. Dose wonders to reduce voices, anxiety, OCD thoughts, and i sleep like a log. On the down side I'm way less creative and energetic. I have put on huge amounts of weight in the past but when I came off the med the weight disappeared quickly. Now I can control weight gain by simply not eating processed foods and carbs. No carbs means no olanzapine food cravings. I'm still able to eat fruit sugars with no probs. I just eat lots of proteins and vegetables. One major concern is my memory isn't as good, I used to be super sharp and I can't think as clearly nor process complicated concepts. Over all though it saved my life."

Anonymous March 12, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I gained 100 lbs but slept well and felt mentally ok"

Mecrazy March 10, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Zyprexa is the only antipsychotic that doesn’t make me feel like a zombie! I kept my personality and my energy. It almost feels like I don’t take an antipsychotic. I take 7.5 mg, because my psychiatrist told me that when you take less then 10 mg daily, the risk of metabolic syndrome is low. It’s very good for treating mania and it augments the effect of my antidepressant. The only downside is that it’s a little bit difficult to wake up."

bipolar12345 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2015

For Depression: "Olanzapine give me really bad palpitations and anxiety was taking 20 milligrams a day so came off them."

cindyuk3 March 5, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "The olanzapine works for me. I sleep at night and my thoughts rarely race now. And it is so wonderful not to feel depressed. If it wasn't for the weight gain, I would give it a ten."

bluemoose (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2015

For Depression: "This medication has been a life saver for me. After suffering severe situational depression and 3 serious suicide attempts I was put on 5mg. It took away anxiety. I'm also on venalafaxine, which just wasn't enough for me. I have not put on weight and eat healthy. I have tried to come of and anxiety and low mood came back."

joyouschris (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 18, 2015

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Very helpful for insomnia and stress and my Borderline Personality Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and the severe depression and anxiety I've had all my life. Plus no weight gain! I love this one out of all I've tried and would recommend it to anyone else who suffers these afflictions - God bless and be well."

Anon Lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 16, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: "I don't have as many crying spells as I used to."

Aspergal (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 13, 2015

For Agitation: "After using Paxil and clonidine and experiencing insomnia and lack of appetite my Dr prescribed zyprexa. After reading the reviews I did not take it for months and just kept it in my bathroom. When nothing else would control my anxiety I finally broke down and took it. Within twenty minutes I felt so much better. My obsessive and racing thoughts stopped and I could actually sleep and eat. I take 5mg at night. It does not make me sleep all day. Day two I noticed cravings for carbs but I find drinking a full glass of water takes care of that. You won't gain weight unless you don't control your eating which you absolutely can do. Don't give up and don't keep suffering. olanzapine can help you but maybe start with a low dose and see how you feel."

amandapanda1707 (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2015

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine) for Borderline Personality Disorder: "I've Been on this medicine for about 4 months. Completely changed my life"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been taking Zyprexa for 14 years, my new doctor took me off in October and I was a mess in Dec. Now Feb back on for a month and I feel better. Doc is worried about long time effects, she wants to try quitting again in 6 months. I don't know but I'm stable on Zyprexa. I'm fine and mess without it. I'm Bi-polar."

Gregg1 February 4, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medicine works really well as a mood stabilizer for me. The only MAJOR drawback is weight gain. I just can't control myself when the carb cravings happen. I am usually very much in control of my dietary habits, but on Zyprexa that just isn't possible. I also suffer from schizoaffective disorder and hear voices. Although Zyprexa suppresses them, it does not completely get rid of them in my case; they are quiet enough to tolerate though. I have gained 35 pounds in less than about a month and a half. I am going to wean off of these and ask the psych-doc for something else."

Jaded1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2014

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Insomnia: "I went to a psychiatrist for sleep meds and was prescribed 5 mg. Zyprexa. It helped me sleep but as soon as I stopped taking the medicine after two weeks, I experienced severe insomnia, sweating, palpitation, agitation depression and agitation. I had to be put back on it to to stabilize. I am now taking 7.5 mg. I don't like the effect on me and I will try to taper off of this medicine. I wish I had known about the side effects and widthrawal symptoms of this medicine. "

Sugaray0212 December 25, 2014