User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Borderline Personality Disorder 6 reviews 6 medications

Paranoid Disorder 7 reviews 2 medications

Tourette's Syndrome 1 reviews 11 medications

Summary of Olanzapine reviews 246 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Olanzapine

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medicine sucked! I was asleep all the time, all day long! Couldn't function in school, couldn't function at work. I was tired all the time and was eating every food that I saw in front of me. If I could give 0 stars to this medication I would."

laluluke (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2016

For Depression: "I took 3mgs of olanzapine every night for five years. This med worked like magic for a couple years, then I started having severe memory issues. This is when I found out the hard way, that quitting this medication without suffering is not possible. So I decided to taper slowly over a period of 6 more months. Even then, after tapering to almost nothing before quitting completely, I had anxiety, liquid stools, confusion, and severe memory problems."

Symbyax Hell February 4, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on Zyprexa for about six months. It takes a long time to work (about five months), but when it does you feel much better. I had to struggle with suicidal thoughts for several months before it started working. You HAVE to take this if you are bipolar. Do NOT stop taking it, and have hope. If you are down or up and are reading this then you have to remember suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary mood. I know the struggle, and Zyprexa will help if you keep taking it."

joru819 February 4, 2016

For Depression: "The medication treated my bipolar disorder and PTSD wonderfully. I was happy with no real manic episodes or episodes of depression. Recently I have started sleep walking on the medication and it is scary. I get out of bed to go to the bathroom and fall asleep walking there and don't remember what I did. I have fallen asleep standing up and awaken falling backwards. I have started barricading myself in the room so as not to be of a problem to my housemates. I have reported the sleep walking to my mental health clinic but they say it is not a known side effect. I sleep for 4 hours and I am manic for 12. What a life. I am going back on it tonight because the manic episodes are getting worse. I asked for help with this problem for a week."

majorthom February 3, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Very effective but beware of cardiac side effects, I ended up in hospital with severe long QT interval so get an ECG when you start this drug, the withdrawals are also horrific"

Jonnyb1490 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

For Depression: "This drug did horrible damaged my life! When I went on this medication, no one told me I would gain 60 pounds in a matter of months! I would have never gone on it. Even after getting off the drug I could not loose that weight. Fortunately, after 10 years, a doctor suggested testosterone therapy in hopes it would take the weight off. It was a miracle! I lost about 45 lbs. BUT I also lost 10 years of my life. Now I have permanent damage to my skin. Excess skin on my face and body after I lost the weight. The doctors tell me it won't return to its original state because I gained the weight so fast. I was a zombie while on the drug. Don't let your loved ones take it! I want to cry when I look in the mirror at my body now!"

ColoradoMike (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "This is not a good medicine for me. I'm glad it helps other people, but it makes my body feel like I weigh a thousand pounds, and I can barely move after I wake up the next day after taking it. It makes sleep for more than 14 hours, and it takes another 4 hours to just be able to stand after I wake up. Not a good med for me, I hope others have better experiences."

Fred11123 January 21, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizophrenia: "An amazing medication considering the earlier antiphsycotics available, I think its more expensive that could effect availability. I do suffer from shaky hands but its the only side effect noticed.I take 20mg at night, it doesn't make me sleepy, no weight gain or hangover effect. Don't increase the dose it doesn't help it just gives restless legs and I was informed a dangerous to increase"

Nutty Rich (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2016

For Depression: "I loved zyprexa just in 1 week, my friends surprising me (u have been fat) (u look great) I gained 4kg just in 1 week I'm underweight 60kg and I'm continuing zyprexa 5mg happily :)"

Kurdishboy December 29, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "My mother has been taking olanzapine 5mg once a day for a month. This medicine is really a great help for her. She has enough sleep every night but sometimes when her manic stage overpower her she does crazy things again. She never listens to us, she says "you're are just my daughter!!!! leave me alone!!!" So me and younger my siblings planned some dramatic scenes. I immitate actions words and portray that I am also like her, its an effective strategy..medication plus dramatic counseling"

adwa (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "My mother has a bipolar disorder..I just admitted it last month. She suffers from manic depression for a year then after a year depression occurred..most of the time she does embarrassing things "

eya (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Took 30 mg nightly. Most effective atypical I've tried. Cured psychosis after 2 months, significantly helped mood swings (from rapid-cycling BP 1), somewhat beneficial for severe insomnia. Intolerable side effects, so was forced to stop Zyprexa. The drug caused paralysis in my legs, partial blindness, daily seizures, severe mental impairment (couldn't remember ATM PIN for 3 weeks!), gained 40 lbs despite strict diet. Off of the drug, lost weight, mental impairment improved, but significant neuromuscular damage. If your body can tolerate it, a fantastic drug. But be warned...Zyprexa can cause permanent damage to your body and mind."

Brian L. December 26, 2015

For Depression: "Made me feel emotionless and numb... Got constipated pooping pellets. Barely peeing ..dehydrated.. Sudden pimples the kind that won't go away.. Missed period for someone whose never missed a period .. Weight gain.. Stubborn weight. I'm all ugly now.. Possible uti culprit Stopped taking it without doctors support fucking psychiatrist is stupid... and all my problems disappeared and I'm much happier.. Would reccomended people not take it .. Cons outweigh the pros for me."

Akshitha1717 December 21, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder: "A lifetime of propensity to depression, then A MIRACLE 24 hours after my first 2.5 dose of Olanzapine combined with 100mg of Sertraline (been on that for years). I have my life back! Yes, there are a few side effects but they are in the main handleable/controllable and certainly better than the desire to die. The last 5 years of excruciating fear, shaking, crying, not showering/dressing. Staring at television all day, taking sleeping pills to keep me out of the world and avoid suicide. Name an anti-depressant and there's an 80% chance I've been on it! 6 weeks in private hospital this summer. Within a week of release I was back to the couch and my blanket. God bless my new GP for prescribing this!!"

Worth the Wait (pun intended!) (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2015

For Schizophrenia: "This med caused so much weight gain I gained 20 lbs a month."

Cactustomato (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Taken during times of acute mania on numerous occasions and less frequently during the depression. Effective but difficult to focus given my type of work resulting in further time lost at the office. Treats the mania and psychosis fairly well but required in hefty doses to have any proper effect which, if course, further exasperates the work situation. I'm neither for or against. It's merely a good stop gap during times of need. Oh, and the weight gain is beyond disgusting. It's the major reason that I refuse to take it regularly."

greenfrog December 8, 2015

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was on Zyprexa for a good two years because of intrusive thoughts ranging from sexual violence all the way to OCD and I can say I mostly recovered thanks to these pills (which I took on the go in time of needs and before going to sleep at 10mg in the beginning) and a LOT of therapy. Downside is that I gained about 50 pounds (still trying to lose it after three months off medication) and I was just tired all the time, easily slept 14 hours uninterrupted. But it did help tremendously with the bad thoughts and the compulsions."

OsKarMike (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 1, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was prescribed Zyprexa as a one pill cure for my OCD, Insomnia, Anxiety, And Manic Mood Disorder. I am steadily increasing the Zyprexa dosage starting with 2.5mg. At 5mg I can state that my OCD is practically gone. I still have the desire to keep things orderly, but I am not getting frustrated or angry. I can now leave things to do for another day without obsessing over and over in my mind. No changes for the Insomnia or Anxiety at this dosage. I will post as the dosage increases and the symptoms are relieved. I have no negative effects to report at 5mg Zyprexa."

RowdyB88 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2015

For Agitation: "it calms my raging mind"

Jagger S November 17, 2015

For Insomnia: "I can finally sleep at night again"

Anonymous November 16, 2015

For Depression: "works!"

Jagger S November 16, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "works wonderfully with prozac for bipolar disorder"

Anonymous November 16, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been taking zyprexa 5 grams...a day..and I don't get any affects from pill? It keeps me mellow but not tired like everyone says? Kinda helps with mood swings..but not really! At least not for me?"

meegy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I take gabapentin, and when I started it, I felt like I had finally found the miracle..but after a year it quit working. After this recent stay in the psych unit, My Doctor put me on Zyprexa 5mgs in the am, 10 mgs at night and it has been a Godsend..I feel so even, I sleep soundly, and wake up without no hangover, ready to take on the world. I have been eating like a pig, but I"m working on controlling that, and eating fruit and yogurt vs. cinnamon rolls and candy...The only drawback is I fear one day it will stop working. Overall, gabapentin and Zyprexa have been lifesavers!"

Zee-Zee November 10, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "My 20 year old son was put on this medication 17 days ago snd is in a facility. Side effects: severe headache, severe muscle and joint pain, urinary incontinence (dribbling), feelings of extreme sadness and emptiness, feeling that death is emminent, extremely dry skin, photo sensitive rash that was very painful on his face which spread to his hands when the dose was raised from 7.5 mg to 15 mg daily in divided doses, severe constipation, loss of libido, loss of memory, sudden anger, orthostatic hypotension, racing / pounding heart beat, chills continuously, and on the 8th day had grand mal seizure. Seroquel was much less toxic. 18 days now..."

Lil guy November 8, 2015