User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Asperger Syndrome 1 reviews 4 medications

Tourette's Syndrome 1 reviews 12 medications

Anorexia Nervosa 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nausea/Vomiting, Chemotherapy Induced 0 reviews 48 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Olanzapine reviews 157 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Olanzapine

Review by BPD and maybe bipolar II (taken for less than 1 month):

For Borderline Personality Disorder: Zyprexa (along with Prozac) worked miracles for me right away. No mood swings, no irritability/anger, no depression, no suicidal thoughts, no impulsivity, I don't feel nearly as cynical, very little emptiness/boredom. Energy is up during the day, Zyprexa helps me sleep. Slight lightheadedness, but nothing troubling. I have my life back.

December 13, 2014 10:39 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Insomnia: This medicine is the best sleep aid I have found. I tried Ambien and it made me crazy. I can sleep with Zyprexa and wake up the next morning with no side effects. I just have to make sure I take it early in the evening. If I take it too late, it will make me groggy in the morning. Unlike some of the reports I have heard, it doesn't effect my weight at all.

December 10, 2014 2:47 PM

Review by postCancerBestLifeEver (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on several antipsychotics, this is the first atypical and it has changed my life. After cancer, beating it and then being placed on this new regimen with clonazepam for anxiety component, this medication has helped tremendously but has a short half-life, so don't miss a dose.

November 23, 2014 11:33 PM

Review by Beans99:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: Taking 10mg of Zyprexa for lst month. Has calmed me but weight gain and night sweats are the downsides.

November 17, 2014 3:39 PM

Review by olanzapine for days (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: I've been on olanzapine for 2 months now and it's hard to feel negative feelings. I feel calmer, less irritable but at times i feel numb. It's hard to feel anything. I highly recommend it.

November 15, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by Alivia Epstein:

For Depression: I'm on 20 milligrams of Zyprexa at night, I wake up recharged every day, I used to wake up 15 times every night now I wake up twice a night. It also helps with anxiety.

November 14, 2014 9:37 PM

Review by Spencer E:

For Bipolar Disorder: I started 5mg of olanzapine last night. I have not slept or felt calm in a couple months. I have dealt with Bipolar 1 and ADHD for many years. I went to my Psychiatrist and was told that for my condition I should not be on things like Celexa that I was taking at 40mg at night. Those serotonin medications can hype me up especially at night. So the only other medicine I take is Inderal LA 120mg for tremors I have from a neurological condition since childhood. I slept great last night for the first time in a long time. I also feel much more at ease in gathering my thoughts and focus. I just hope it continues and I do my part in staying stable too.

October 24, 2014 12:23 PM

Review by JAM87:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Had a break down at age 15 and eventually got on Zyprexa. Like everybody else said I gained about 30-40 pounds, could be very sleepy sometimes, but it completely stopped the voices I was hearing for the past 8 months. It gave me my life back. Just kinda woke up feeling normal after being on the medicine for a few days. It was amazing. Was on 10mg at the highest and worked all the way down to 2.5mg over the next year. Had a prayer service at my church (Doctor was ok with us taking a trial run off medicines since I had been doing well on a low dose for the past few months) and now have been off meds and completely fine for over 10 years now. Very thankful.

October 21, 2014 7:21 PM

Review by Rivvi98 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizophrenia: Kept my schizophrenia in check but way too sedating. Gained 20 pounds in 6 months, hard to wake up in morning, going to try something else.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 14, 2014 2:22 PM

Review by June6743:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: It made my delusions disappear but made me gain weight and I still experience some paranoia, though I'm on 5mg once a day which is a low dosage (won't increase it since I don't want to gain more weight)

August 30, 2014 11:00 AM

Review by TourettesOCD (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Tourette's Syndrome: The first time I was prescribed Olanzapine I was on it for about 5-6 months. The tics were reduced by about half which was great for me. However I soon realized that there were subtle side effects which had horrible results. The medicine made me very hungry which meant I ate a lot more and as a result I gained around 20 pounds in a very short period of time. Another side effect was drowsiness and lethargy. I slept a lot and took naps during the day. I trialed the medicine again recently and the same side effects occurred so I have had to stop this medicine and try something else.

August 25, 2014 12:49 PM

Review by Debbbiiieee (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: Made me really psychotic.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2014 11:22 AM

Review by yayo53 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: Great medicine but I cannot stop gaining weight

June 4, 2014 3:55 PM

Review by rebeccak3165:

For Bipolar Disorder: I'm 30 years old been diagnosed with bipolar effective disorder with anxiety, I'm on olanzpine and its absolutely brilliant, I take olanzpine 10mg at night and 3 diazapam 5mg now down to 2mg 3 times a day, I was put on quetiapine but had to stop that on my 4th day, it caused me to be aggressive and I felt I was put in a coma for days I was nearly sectioned. I would give olanzpine a 10 but it makes you go to the fridge and binge eat lol. But I rather be fat and happy.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2014 10:32 AM

Review by Psych rn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa Intramuscular (olanzapine) for Agitation: Three years in psychiatric corrections/ forensics. Works fast on patients that are hostile and combative. Approximative acting time of 10/15minutes to relax with correct dose.

April 10, 2014 3:45 AM

Review by BPDmat (taken for less than 1 month):

For Borderline Personality Disorder: I'm on 2.5mg twice a day and It really helps regulating my intense rapid mood swings!

April 1, 2014 3:43 AM

Review by danand2006 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I would give Zyprexa a 10 rating except for the weight gain. I have bipolar 1 and have a lot more mania than depression. I have psychotic symptoms also and racing thoughts a lot. It did make me very tired the first couple of weeks but then it worked perfect except for the weight gain so I am not on it anymore.

March 8, 2014 2:03 PM

Review by Donna-1 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Bipolar Disorder: Took 40mg per day for about a year before I really "came back to life." It helped me sleep but was too sedating overall. It helped me reverse anorexia but I doubled my weight (gained 93 lbs in a few months.) It did stop the psychosis. Was able to feel emotions again after years of numbness. Took varying doses for 17 yrs and had very hard time getting off it when the time was right. Have been off 5 months now and am considering starting again because of severe insomnia & mood swings. Hate the weight gain and lethargy.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2014 3:30 AM

Review by ero (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Olanzapine significantly cleared my head, I am plus 10kg, I am not sure if the pills are the cause but I feel no emotions, very hard to find motivation to do something when nothing is enjoyable.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2014 4:52 PM

Review by tried everything (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Depression: Would give this a 10. Have tried every anxiety/depression, SSRIs and MAOIs, etc. out there. One day on this and I felt wonderful, like I woke up as a new normal person. Yes you may gain a lot of weight but only if you eat carbs. You just cannot take this and eat chips, candy, etc. Lean meats, proteins and veg and you will have NO problems, the effect is worth it. If you can put the fork down, it can change your life. My Dr. warned me about the potential for weight gain, but told me he thought I had the willpower to resist the cravings to eat junk, which I did. Try it.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2014 9:40 PM

Review by silence solace (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I have been on almost all of the available antipsychotics, and olanzapine/Zyprexa is by far the most "normalizing" and stabilizing medicine of them all that I've ever been on. I have been on clozapine also, but olanzapine has less risks. I gained a lot of weight on it, but at least it lets me focus, concentrate on having a decent life.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2014 12:46 AM

Review by jigsrybv:

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have bipolar 1 disorder. Started with 5mg Zyprexa, now am on 7.5mg at night. I find it really helps me with my moods. Some of the side effects for me are swollen ankles, weight gain and sedative effect throughout the day.

December 12, 2013 10:48 PM

Review by Nicholasfromnc:

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine) for Schizophrenia: Good for emergency situations. Versatile, quick acting, wish it came in 10mg tabs.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2013 3:38 AM

Review by Panda_Bear101 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zyprexa (olanzapine) for Bipolar Disorder: This drug did its job. It stopped any mood swings for the most part, but the biggest downside was that I bloated up and slept heavily. I put on maybe, 10-20kgs whilst on this drug (I was on it for 2 years). Effective nontheless.

November 2, 2013 7:38 AM

For Depression: Zyprexa has been a wonder drug for me. After 10 years of serious depression and Bipolar 1 disorder and several different meds this medication saved my life. After 9 hospitalizations and 2 suicide attempts I was put on 10 mg. of Zyprexa and have been stable for 3 years. This medicine has been a Godsend!

October 28, 2013 5:39 PM