User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Olanzapine review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Depression

Review by joyouschris (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This medication has been a life saver for me. After suffering severe situational depression and 3 serious suicide attempts I was put on 5mg. It took away anxiety. I'm also on venalafaxine, which just wasn't enough for me. I have not put on weight and eat healthy. I have tried to come of and anxiety and low mood came back.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 18, 2015 4:29 AM

Review by Aspergal (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zyprexa (olanzapine): I don't have as many crying spells as I used to.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2015 6:26 AM

Review by lovemylifeforever:

Zyprexa (olanzapine): Had a few psychotic episode few years ago, was hospitalized and was put on Zyprexa and a few other meds. I was diagnosed with BPD (borderline personality disorder), major depression and fibromyalgia. I felt hungry all the time and gained 70lbs, my dose was 20mg a day plus I was on other meds, finally was weaned off all other meds as the months went by. I cannot say my hunger and weight gain was completely due to Zyprexa but I do know that I now take only 5mg a day, at night, sleep well, hunger is normal and I have lost weight with good healthy choices and exercise. I no longer have depression and life has never been better. Zyprexa, therapy, exercise, support and nutrition has saved my life.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2014 9:36 PM

Review by Beans99:

Zyprexa (olanzapine): Taking 10mg of Zyprexa for lst month. Has calmed me but weight gain and night sweats are the downsides.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2014 3:39 PM

Review by olanzapine for days (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on olanzapine for 2 months now and it's hard to feel negative feelings. I feel calmer, less irritable but at times i feel numb. It's hard to feel anything. I highly recommend it.

November 15, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by Alivia Epstein:

I'm on 20 milligrams of Zyprexa at night, I wake up recharged every day, I used to wake up 15 times every night now I wake up twice a night. It also helps with anxiety.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2014 9:37 PM

Review by tried everything (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zyprexa (olanzapine): Would give this a 10. Have tried every anxiety/depression, SSRIs and MAOIs, etc. out there. One day on this and I felt wonderful, like I woke up as a new normal person. Yes you may gain a lot of weight but only if you eat carbs. You just cannot take this and eat chips, candy, etc. Lean meats, proteins and veg and you will have NO problems, the effect is worth it. If you can put the fork down, it can change your life. My Dr. warned me about the potential for weight gain, but told me he thought I had the willpower to resist the cravings to eat junk, which I did. Try it.

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 10, 2014 9:40 PM

Zyprexa has been a wonder drug for me. After 10 years of serious depression and Bipolar 1 disorder and several different meds this medication saved my life. After 9 hospitalizations and 2 suicide attempts I was put on 10 mg. of Zyprexa and have been stable for 3 years. This medicine has been a Godsend!

October 28, 2013 5:39 PM

Review by Renay224:

Zyprexa (olanzapine): I have been on this medicine for about 3 weeks now. I wake up hungry, drenched in sweat, and have also gained 15 pounds. Im thinking about getting off this medication. I have also had crying spells, irritability, and mood swings, then some other days I have felt fine. Its weird. I'm going to give it a few more weeks, and if nothing improves as far as my moods i will get off of it.

October 22, 2013 6:55 PM

Review by Darrend1:

Zyprexa (olanzapine): I've tried many medications for depression, and I haven't felt this normal in 25 years thanks to Zyprexa.

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 5, 2013 9:51 PM

Review by kestrel28 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zyprexa (olanzapine): I started taking Zyprexa over two years ago for intrusive thoughts I was having as a result of Obsessive compulsive disorder/depression. While the Zyprexa helped remove intrusive thinking, it added about thirty pounds onto my slender frame, made me severely tired, and took away my sex drive. In addition to these adverse effects, I was unmotivated/uninterested in many activities that used to give me pleasure. I had a "so what" attitude about life in general. All because of this medicine. What really frightened me about taking this was my cholesterol went sky high, and my blood sugar was also very high, making me an at risk candidate for diabetes. I am finally off of this.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 25, 2013 5:27 AM

Review by whereswally (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyprexa (olanzapine): Feeling heaps better about life and alot calmer only thing is I feel hungry all the time and have put on 4 kilos in one week!! Dont know what to do about that...

March 6, 2013 5:45 AM

Review by Nessa94:

Zyprexa (olanzapine): Really helps with mood swings and made me calmer. It also made me gain 50lbs in 6months. It's extremely hard to control your weight on this pill.

November 22, 2012 3:13 PM

Review by hihityu:

Zyprexa (olanzapine): I take 5 mg of Zyprexa daily. I'm almost the entire day sleepy and have the feeling of doing nothing. I can not worry, because I have to sleep for about 15 hours daily. But I have tried everything out there, and this is the best at this moment.

October 15, 2012 10:43 PM

Review by mindshift (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My mother has had major depressive disorder for over 45 years. She was taking Orap and fluoxetine for most of that time, but the Orap was causing Parkinson's-like symptoms. Discontinuing Orap can produce other symptoms, of which my mother had chomping of her jaw, and excess salivation. Abilify controlled these other symptoms, but did nothing for her depression, resulting in auditory hallucinations. My mother was switched to olanzapine which is controlling the depression symptoms. She is currently taking 2.5mg upon waking, 2.5mg in mid-afternoon, and 7.5mg at bedtime. Olanzapine causes sleepiness, so normally would be taken only at night, but the daytime dosages were in hopes of controlling the post-Orap symptoms.

May 12, 2012 12:21 AM

I was prescribed olanzapine as an off-label mood stabiliser for clinical depression. It took away all my positive emotions, leaving me feeling permanently "grey" and essentially soulless. I lost interest in all activities I previously found enjoyable. In four months of "treatment" I'd gained 4 stone, and couldn't stop eating. Only now am I coming off this, a process which has been extremely difficult due to a resurgence of the condition the medicine was treating.

April 20, 2012 4:49 AM

Zyprexa (olanzapine): This medication is a great sedative, if that's what you're looking for. It's not euphoric, it just makes you sleepy. But it caused me to gain over 40 pounds in less than 2 months. I now get depressed just looking in the mirror. My doctor says it just makes you hungry, not gain weight, but the amount of weight I gained in such a short time is unnatural!

February 13, 2012 3:54 PM

Zyprexa (olanzapine): Worked well for depression. Didn't make me sleepy but always hungry.

January 18, 2012 3:14 PM

Review by jograndmama5:

Zyprexa (olanzapine): I have taken Zyprexa 2.5 with Zoloft for years and couldn't function without this combination. It was prescribed because the Zoloft just didn't take care of the insomnia and mood swings. Zyprexa 2.5 has been a God-send.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2011 5:32 PM

Zyprexa (olanzapine): After taking the 2.5 dosage for 4 days I feel very irritable. I am experiencing crying spells, tiredness, extreme moodiness and just want to be alone. This medicine was prescribed for a mood disorder that I have been experiencing. I also take other anti-depressants. I don't think this is a good mix with other medicines or just not right for me.

October 29, 2011 6:23 PM

Zyprexa (olanzapine): A two-year depression vanished in just 24 hours.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2011 7:28 PM

Review by cheersrichard:

Zyprexa (olanzapine): Found this medication very effective in my withdrawals from both alcohol and weed. It stops my racing thoughts and keeps me calm. However it does somewhat make you zombie like and unable to feel emotions.

February 1, 2011 9:52 PM

Zyprexa (olanzapine): I took Klonopin and Paxil for 15 years to treat my anxiety disorder. I had to detox from the Klonopin this past spring. I got off the Klonopin and switched my Paxil to Lexapro (sex side effect issue). I am also a recovering alcoholic. My doctor did not want me on Benzo's anymore (says it increased alcohol cravings). I stayed on Lexapro only for 9 months, but my anxiety came back strong on just the Lexapro alone. I almost resorted to taking Xanax before I switched doctors. My new doc gave Zyprexa a chance. I am on my 7th day and I haven't felt this "normal" in 5 years. I take 5mgs at night and it has ended the "chatter" in my head, and removed my anxiety. Great medicine so far.

January 16, 2011 6:24 PM

Review by bebsxo:

I'm on 5mg of olanzapine (as a when required medicine) it's great with sleep! You are out like a light bearing in mind I have insomnia. Although I've experienced elevated prolactin levels, so I'm probably going to have to discontinue it.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2010 12:56 PM

Review by tdholste:

Zyprexa (olanzapine): This medication works very well for me. I take it with Pristiq and it is a very good combination. Haven't felt this good for a year.

November 1, 2010 8:45 PM