User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Olanzapine Review Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Depression

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I am in shock as to the MIRACLE of Olanzipine. A 2 year severe depression, with extreme anxiety, insomnia, and paranoia DISAPEARED the first week on this medicine. Before, my depression was so bad, I stopped brushing my hair, I could barely function, my sadness so profound. After 1 week on Zyprexa, I am finally back to myself, taking good care of myself, sadness is 90% gone, smiling again!"

TheGoodWife42 March 22, 2015

"Olanzapine give me really bad palpitations and anxiety was taking 20 milligrams a day so came off them."

cindyuk3 March 5, 2015

"This medication has been a life saver for me. After suffering severe situational depression and 3 serious suicide attempts I was put on 5mg. It took away anxiety. I'm also on venalafaxine, which just wasn't enough for me. I have not put on weight and eat healthy. I have tried to come of and anxiety and low mood came back."

joyouschris (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 18, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I don't have as many crying spells as I used to."

Aspergal (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 13, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Had a few psychotic episode few years ago, was hospitalized and was put on Zyprexa and a few other meds. I was diagnosed with BPD (borderline personality disorder), major depression and fibromyalgia. I felt hungry all the time and gained 70lbs, my dose was 20mg a day plus I was on other meds, finally was weaned off all other meds as the months went by. I cannot say my hunger and weight gain was completely due to Zyprexa but I do know that I now take only 5mg a day, at night, sleep well, hunger is normal and I have lost weight with good healthy choices and exercise. I no longer have depression and life has never been better. Zyprexa, therapy, exercise, support and nutrition has saved my life."

lovemylifeforever December 13, 2014

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Taking 10mg of Zyprexa for lst month. Has calmed me but weight gain and night sweats are the downsides."

Beans99 November 17, 2014

"I've been on olanzapine for 2 months now and it's hard to feel negative feelings. I feel calmer, less irritable but at times i feel numb. It's hard to feel anything. I highly recommend it."

olanzapine for days (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2014

"I'm on 20 milligrams of Zyprexa at night, I wake up recharged every day, I used to wake up 15 times every night now I wake up twice a night. It also helps with anxiety."

Alivia Epstein November 14, 2014

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Would give this a 10. Have tried every anxiety/depression, SSRIs and MAOIs, etc. out there. One day on this and I felt wonderful, like I woke up as a new normal person. Yes you may gain a lot of weight but only if you eat carbs. You just cannot take this and eat chips, candy, etc. Lean meats, proteins and veg and you will have NO problems, the effect is worth it. If you can put the fork down, it can change your life. My Dr. warned me about the potential for weight gain, but told me he thought I had the willpower to resist the cravings to eat junk, which I did. Try it."

tried everything (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2014

127 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Zyprexa has been a wonder drug for me. After 10 years of serious depression and Bipolar 1 disorder and several different meds this medication saved my life. After 9 hospitalizations and 2 suicide attempts I was put on 10 mg. of Zyprexa and have been stable for 3 years. This medicine has been a Godsend!"

Anonymous October 28, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have been on this medicine for about 3 weeks now. I wake up hungry, drenched in sweat, and have also gained 15 pounds. Im thinking about getting off this medication. I have also had crying spells, irritability, and mood swings, then some other days I have felt fine. Its weird. I'm going to give it a few more weeks, and if nothing improves as far as my moods i will get off of it."

Renay224 October 22, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I've tried many medications for depression, and I haven't felt this normal in 25 years thanks to Zyprexa."

Darrend1 September 5, 2013

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I started taking Zyprexa over two years ago for intrusive thoughts I was having as a result of Obsessive compulsive disorder/depression. While the Zyprexa helped remove intrusive thinking, it added about thirty pounds onto my slender frame, made me severely tired, and took away my sex drive. In addition to these adverse effects, I was unmotivated/uninterested in many activities that used to give me pleasure. I had a "so what" attitude about life in general. All because of this medicine. What really frightened me about taking this was my cholesterol went sky high, and my blood sugar was also very high, making me an at risk candidate for diabetes. I am finally off of this. "

kestrel28 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2013

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Feeling heaps better about life and alot calmer only thing is I feel hungry all the time and have put on 4 kilos in one week!! Dont know what to do about that..."

whereswally (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Really helps with mood swings and made me calmer. It also made me gain 50lbs in 6months. It's extremely hard to control your weight on this pill."

Nessa94 November 22, 2012

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I take 5 mg of Zyprexa daily. I'm almost the entire day sleepy and have the feeling of doing nothing. I can not worry, because I have to sleep for about 15 hours daily. But I have tried everything out there, and this is the best at this moment."

hihityu October 15, 2012

"My mother has had major depressive disorder for over 45 years. She was taking Orap and fluoxetine for most of that time, but the Orap was causing Parkinson's-like symptoms. Discontinuing Orap can produce other symptoms, of which my mother had chomping of her jaw, and excess salivation. Abilify controlled these other symptoms, but did nothing for her depression, resulting in auditory hallucinations. My mother was switched to olanzapine which is controlling the depression symptoms. She is currently taking 2.5mg upon waking, 2.5mg in mid-afternoon, and 7.5mg at bedtime. Olanzapine causes sleepiness, so normally would be taken only at night, but the daytime dosages were in hopes of controlling the post-Orap symptoms."

mindshift (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2012

"I was prescribed olanzapine as an off-label mood stabiliser for clinical depression. It took away all my positive emotions, leaving me feeling permanently "grey" and essentially soulless. I lost interest in all activities I previously found enjoyable. In four months of "treatment" I'd gained 4 stone, and couldn't stop eating. Only now am I coming off this, a process which has been extremely difficult due to a resurgence of the condition the medicine was treating. "

Anonymous April 20, 2012

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medication is a great sedative, if that's what you're looking for. It's not euphoric, it just makes you sleepy. But it caused me to gain over 40 pounds in less than 2 months. I now get depressed just looking in the mirror. My doctor says it just makes you hungry, not gain weight, but the amount of weight I gained in such a short time is unnatural!"

Anonymous February 13, 2012

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Worked well for depression. Didn't make me sleepy but always hungry."

Anonymous January 18, 2012

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have taken Zyprexa 2.5 with Zoloft for years and couldn't function without this combination. It was prescribed because the Zoloft just didn't take care of the insomnia and mood swings. Zyprexa 2.5 has been a God-send."

jograndmama5 November 2, 2011

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "After taking the 2.5 dosage for 4 days I feel very irritable. I am experiencing crying spells, tiredness, extreme moodiness and just want to be alone. This medicine was prescribed for a mood disorder that I have been experiencing. I also take other anti-depressants. I don't think this is a good mix with other medicines or just not right for me."

Anonymous October 29, 2011

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "A two-year depression vanished in just 24 hours."

Anonymous April 19, 2011

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Found this medication very effective in my withdrawals from both alcohol and weed. It stops my racing thoughts and keeps me calm. However it does somewhat make you zombie like and unable to feel emotions."

cheersrichard February 1, 2011

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I took Klonopin and Paxil for 15 years to treat my anxiety disorder. I had to detox from the Klonopin this past spring. I got off the Klonopin and switched my Paxil to Lexapro (sex side effect issue). I am also a recovering alcoholic. My doctor did not want me on Benzo's anymore (says it increased alcohol cravings). I stayed on Lexapro only for 9 months, but my anxiety came back strong on just the Lexapro alone. I almost resorted to taking Xanax before I switched doctors. My new doc gave Zyprexa a chance. I am on my 7th day and I haven't felt this "normal" in 5 years. I take 5mgs at night and it has ended the "chatter" in my head, and removed my anxiety. Great medicine so far."

Anonymous January 16, 2011

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Depression