User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 221 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Depression

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Was on Zyprexa from Mar 2015 till Aug 2015. At first it seemed like it was mellowing me out a bit, and I could sleep through the whole night, which was an improvement. After a few months I noticed my depression was getting much worse. Came off the drug cold turkey, and went through one of the most serious withdrawals one could face. Depression, severe anxiety, PTSD, night terrors took over. To this day Apr 2016, I have still not returned to the way I was before I started taking this horrible drug. Depression and anxiety are still bad, not as bad as 6 mos ago, but still worse than when I first started taking it. I'm convinced this drug can cause permanent brain damage."

rb1979 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

"I took 3mgs of olanzapine every night for five years. This med worked like magic for a couple years, then I started having severe memory issues. This is when I found out the hard way, that quitting this medication without suffering is not possible. So I decided to taper slowly over a period of 6 more months. Even then, after tapering to almost nothing before quitting completely, I had anxiety, liquid stools, confusion, and severe memory problems."

Symbyax Hell February 4, 2016

"The medication treated my bipolar disorder and PTSD wonderfully. I was happy with no real manic episodes or episodes of depression. Recently I have started sleep walking on the medication and it is scary. I get out of bed to go to the bathroom and fall asleep walking there and don't remember what I did. I have fallen asleep standing up and awaken falling backwards. I have started barricading myself in the room so as not to be of a problem to my housemates. I have reported the sleep walking to my mental health clinic but they say it is not a known side effect. I sleep for 4 hours and I am manic for 12. What a life. I am going back on it tonight because the manic episodes are getting worse. I asked for help with this problem for a week."

majorthom February 3, 2016

"This drug did horrible damaged my life! When I went on this medication, no one told me I would gain 60 pounds in a matter of months! I would have never gone on it. Even after getting off the drug I could not loose that weight. Fortunately, after 10 years, a doctor suggested testosterone therapy in hopes it would take the weight off. It was a miracle! I lost about 45 lbs. BUT I also lost 10 years of my life. Now I have permanent damage to my skin. Excess skin on my face and body after I lost the weight. The doctors tell me it won't return to its original state because I gained the weight so fast. I was a zombie while on the drug. Don't let your loved ones take it! I want to cry when I look in the mirror at my body now!"

ColoradoMike (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2016

"I loved zyprexa just in 1 week, my friends surprising me (u have been fat) (u look great) I gained 4kg just in 1 week I'm underweight 60kg and I'm continuing zyprexa 5mg happily :)"

Kurdishboy December 29, 2015

"Made me feel emotionless and numb... Got constipated pooping pellets. Barely peeing ..dehydrated.. Sudden pimples the kind that won't go away.. Missed period for someone whose never missed a period .. Weight gain.. Stubborn weight. I'm all ugly now.. Possible uti culprit Stopped taking it without doctors support fucking psychiatrist is stupid... and all my problems disappeared and I'm much happier.. Would reccomended people not take it .. Cons outweigh the pros for me."

Akshitha1717 December 21, 2015

"works!"

Jagger S November 16, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Sure this med can keep depression at bay but it can also cause some really horrible side effects. After being on this med for 1 yr I went from being a healthy 170 lbs (women's size 12) to 250 lbs (size 20). It made me so lethargic and tired. I would sleep for 14 hours a day and still be dragging out of bed. About 2 months ago was the final straw. I got blood work done by my GP and my triglycerides were through the roof as well as elevated blood sugar. The doc was ready to put me on meds for diabetes! I'm only 25 and I just wanted my health back so last week I went to a new doc who got me off this horrible stuff. I feel like a new person without this toxic med in my body. Now on Viibryd."

beedoose November 4, 2015

"I started this with my Zoloft and klonopins about 6 days ago. I just had one set back , feel pretty good so far. I do get splitting headaches but I don't know if its from this. I'm on 5 mg at nite, & can sleep now. It causes a dry mouth, but tolerable. sleep on and off in the morning , breasts are sore and getting bigger. gonna stick this out a little longer"

mathys06 September 17, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Zyprexa brought me out of a severe depression within a day or two. It has also been fairly helpful with anxiety/panic attacks. Unfortunately, I have gained over 40lbs and never feel full. It has also increased my cholesterol and fasting blood sugars. I've also noticed I don't have much energy or drive. Due to the metabolic issues my doctor wants me to try latuda."

Anonymous July 26, 2015

"Zyprexa has given me my life back in 4 weeks! I have the worst panic attacks ever, anorexia and chronic nausea!! I have been on every medication under the sun with no relief, if not worse nausea because of the side effects of all the medications. I was on Klonopin, propranolol, hydroxyzine, and zofran every single day and I was still having really bad nausea and panic attacks so bad, I could not leave my house. Dr. prescribed Zyprexa 5mg and after 3 days, I started eating again. I have already gained 2 lbs but I needed to because I was so nauseated I couldn't eat. I'm so excited that I can eat again without feeling like I'm going to vomit!! I hope it doesn't "poop-out" on me bc It's been a miracle!!"

Shyllie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medication has made me unemotional and boring and like many others I'm forever hungry. I have put on an insane amount of weight, admittedly needed, due to suffering anorexia, but when I started on this medication I weighed 37kg and 6 months later nearly doubled to 65 kg. This I feel is an unnatural weight gain in such a short time, and now I don't go out due to feeling bad about how I look."

Chook123 July 20, 2015

"Olanzapine is great for bringing down a manic episode but can hinder recovery as it made me feel so depressed. On 2.5 mg and going to come off as it makes me so low and depressed. I sleep for about 15 hrs and have no interest in anything. It's helped with my anxiety but would rather feel anxious than live with the depression I am counting down the minutes till the day is over. Previous have done this and have felt better within days, longest I've stayed on it this time but also longest I've felt depressed. Will let you know how I get on"

Robin Redbreast June 20, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I am in shock as to the MIRACLE of Olanzipine. A 2 year severe depression, with extreme anxiety, insomnia, and paranoia DISAPEARED the first week on this medicine. Before, my depression was so bad, I stopped brushing my hair, I could barely function, my sadness so profound. After 1 week on Zyprexa, I am finally back to myself, taking good care of myself, sadness is 90% gone, smiling again!"

TheGoodWife42 March 22, 2015

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Olanzapine give me really bad palpitations and anxiety was taking 20 milligrams a day so came off them."

cindyuk3 March 5, 2015

"This medication has been a life saver for me. After suffering severe situational depression and 3 serious suicide attempts I was put on 5mg. It took away anxiety. I'm also on venalafaxine, which just wasn't enough for me. I have not put on weight and eat healthy. I have tried to come of and anxiety and low mood came back."

joyouschris (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 18, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I don't have as many crying spells as I used to."

Aspergal (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 13, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Had a few psychotic episode few years ago, was hospitalized and was put on Zyprexa and a few other meds. I was diagnosed with BPD (borderline personality disorder), major depression and fibromyalgia. I felt hungry all the time and gained 70lbs, my dose was 20mg a day plus I was on other meds, finally was weaned off all other meds as the months went by. I cannot say my hunger and weight gain was completely due to Zyprexa but I do know that I now take only 5mg a day, at night, sleep well, hunger is normal and I have lost weight with good healthy choices and exercise. I no longer have depression and life has never been better. Zyprexa, therapy, exercise, support and nutrition has saved my life."

lovemylifeforever December 13, 2014

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Taking 10mg of Zyprexa for lst month. Has calmed me but weight gain and night sweats are the downsides."

Beans99 November 17, 2014

"I've been on olanzapine for 2 months now and it's hard to feel negative feelings. I feel calmer, less irritable but at times i feel numb. It's hard to feel anything. I highly recommend it."

olanzapine for days (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2014

"I'm on 20 milligrams of Zyprexa at night, I wake up recharged every day, I used to wake up 15 times every night now I wake up twice a night. It also helps with anxiety."

Alivia Epstein November 14, 2014

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Would give this a 10. Have tried every anxiety/depression, SSRIs and MAOIs, etc. out there. One day on this and I felt wonderful, like I woke up as a new normal person. Yes you may gain a lot of weight but only if you eat carbs. You just cannot take this and eat chips, candy, etc. Lean meats, proteins and veg and you will have NO problems, the effect is worth it. If you can put the fork down, it can change your life. My Dr. warned me about the potential for weight gain, but told me he thought I had the willpower to resist the cravings to eat junk, which I did. Try it."

tried everything (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2014

180 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Zyprexa has been a wonder drug for me. After 10 years of serious depression and Bipolar 1 disorder and several different meds this medication saved my life. After 9 hospitalizations and 2 suicide attempts I was put on 10 mg. of Zyprexa and have been stable for 3 years. This medicine has been a Godsend!"

Anonymous October 28, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have been on this medicine for about 3 weeks now. I wake up hungry, drenched in sweat, and have also gained 15 pounds. Im thinking about getting off this medication. I have also had crying spells, irritability, and mood swings, then some other days I have felt fine. Its weird. I'm going to give it a few more weeks, and if nothing improves as far as my moods i will get off of it."

Renay224 October 22, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I've tried many medications for depression, and I haven't felt this normal in 25 years thanks to Zyprexa."

Darrend1 September 5, 2013

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate