User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Olanzapine Review Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Depression

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Zyprexa brought me out of a severe depression within a day or two. It has also been fairly helpful with anxiety/panic attacks. Unfortunately, I have gained over 40lbs and never feel full. It has also increased my cholesterol and fasting blood sugars. I've also noticed I don't have much energy or drive. Due to the metabolic issues my doctor wants me to try latuda."

Anonymous July 26, 2015

"Zyprexa has given me my life back in 4 weeks! I have the worst panic attacks ever, anorexia and chronic nausea!! I have been on every medication under the sun with no relief, if not worse nausea because of the side effects of all the medications. I was on Klonopin, propranolol, hydroxyzine, and zofran every single day and I was still having really bad nausea and panic attacks so bad, I could not leave my house. Dr. prescribed Zyprexa 5mg and after 3 days, I started eating again. I have already gained 2 lbs but I needed to because I was so nauseated I couldn't eat. I'm so excited that I can eat again without feeling like I'm going to vomit!! I hope it doesn't "poop-out" on me bc It's been a miracle!!"

Shyllie (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medication has made me unemotional and boring and like many others I'm forever hungry. I have put on an insane amount of weight, admittedly needed, due to suffering anorexia, but when I started on this medication I weighed 37kg and 6 months later nearly doubled to 65 kg. This I feel is an unnatural weight gain in such a short time, and now I don't go out due to feeling bad about how I look."

Chook123 July 20, 2015

"Olanzapine is great for bringing down a manic episode but can hinder recovery as it made me feel so depressed. On 2.5 mg and going to come off as it makes me so low and depressed. I sleep for about 15 hrs and have no interest in anything. It's helped with my anxiety but would rather feel anxious than live with the depression I am counting down the minutes till the day is over. Previous have done this and have felt better within days, longest I've stayed on it this time but also longest I've felt depressed. Will let you know how I get on"

Robin Redbreast June 20, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I am in shock as to the MIRACLE of Olanzipine. A 2 year severe depression, with extreme anxiety, insomnia, and paranoia DISAPEARED the first week on this medicine. Before, my depression was so bad, I stopped brushing my hair, I could barely function, my sadness so profound. After 1 week on Zyprexa, I am finally back to myself, taking good care of myself, sadness is 90% gone, smiling again!"

TheGoodWife42 March 22, 2015

"Olanzapine give me really bad palpitations and anxiety was taking 20 milligrams a day so came off them."

cindyuk3 March 5, 2015

"This medication has been a life saver for me. After suffering severe situational depression and 3 serious suicide attempts I was put on 5mg. It took away anxiety. I'm also on venalafaxine, which just wasn't enough for me. I have not put on weight and eat healthy. I have tried to come of and anxiety and low mood came back."

joyouschris (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 18, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I don't have as many crying spells as I used to."

Aspergal (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 13, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Had a few psychotic episode few years ago, was hospitalized and was put on Zyprexa and a few other meds. I was diagnosed with BPD (borderline personality disorder), major depression and fibromyalgia. I felt hungry all the time and gained 70lbs, my dose was 20mg a day plus I was on other meds, finally was weaned off all other meds as the months went by. I cannot say my hunger and weight gain was completely due to Zyprexa but I do know that I now take only 5mg a day, at night, sleep well, hunger is normal and I have lost weight with good healthy choices and exercise. I no longer have depression and life has never been better. Zyprexa, therapy, exercise, support and nutrition has saved my life."

lovemylifeforever December 13, 2014

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Taking 10mg of Zyprexa for lst month. Has calmed me but weight gain and night sweats are the downsides."

Beans99 November 17, 2014

"I've been on olanzapine for 2 months now and it's hard to feel negative feelings. I feel calmer, less irritable but at times i feel numb. It's hard to feel anything. I highly recommend it."

olanzapine for days (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2014

"I'm on 20 milligrams of Zyprexa at night, I wake up recharged every day, I used to wake up 15 times every night now I wake up twice a night. It also helps with anxiety."

Alivia Epstein November 14, 2014

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Would give this a 10. Have tried every anxiety/depression, SSRIs and MAOIs, etc. out there. One day on this and I felt wonderful, like I woke up as a new normal person. Yes you may gain a lot of weight but only if you eat carbs. You just cannot take this and eat chips, candy, etc. Lean meats, proteins and veg and you will have NO problems, the effect is worth it. If you can put the fork down, it can change your life. My Dr. warned me about the potential for weight gain, but told me he thought I had the willpower to resist the cravings to eat junk, which I did. Try it."

tried everything (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2014

141 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Zyprexa has been a wonder drug for me. After 10 years of serious depression and Bipolar 1 disorder and several different meds this medication saved my life. After 9 hospitalizations and 2 suicide attempts I was put on 10 mg. of Zyprexa and have been stable for 3 years. This medicine has been a Godsend!"

Anonymous October 28, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have been on this medicine for about 3 weeks now. I wake up hungry, drenched in sweat, and have also gained 15 pounds. Im thinking about getting off this medication. I have also had crying spells, irritability, and mood swings, then some other days I have felt fine. Its weird. I'm going to give it a few more weeks, and if nothing improves as far as my moods i will get off of it."

Renay224 October 22, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I've tried many medications for depression, and I haven't felt this normal in 25 years thanks to Zyprexa."

Darrend1 September 5, 2013

101 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I started taking Zyprexa over two years ago for intrusive thoughts I was having as a result of Obsessive compulsive disorder/depression. While the Zyprexa helped remove intrusive thinking, it added about thirty pounds onto my slender frame, made me severely tired, and took away my sex drive. In addition to these adverse effects, I was unmotivated/uninterested in many activities that used to give me pleasure. I had a "so what" attitude about life in general. All because of this medicine. What really frightened me about taking this was my cholesterol went sky high, and my blood sugar was also very high, making me an at risk candidate for diabetes. I am finally off of this. "

kestrel28 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2013

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Feeling heaps better about life and alot calmer only thing is I feel hungry all the time and have put on 4 kilos in one week!! Dont know what to do about that..."

whereswally (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Really helps with mood swings and made me calmer. It also made me gain 50lbs in 6months. It's extremely hard to control your weight on this pill."

Nessa94 November 22, 2012

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I take 5 mg of Zyprexa daily. I'm almost the entire day sleepy and have the feeling of doing nothing. I can not worry, because I have to sleep for about 15 hours daily. But I have tried everything out there, and this is the best at this moment."

hihityu October 15, 2012

"My mother has had major depressive disorder for over 45 years. She was taking Orap and fluoxetine for most of that time, but the Orap was causing Parkinson's-like symptoms. Discontinuing Orap can produce other symptoms, of which my mother had chomping of her jaw, and excess salivation. Abilify controlled these other symptoms, but did nothing for her depression, resulting in auditory hallucinations. My mother was switched to olanzapine which is controlling the depression symptoms. She is currently taking 2.5mg upon waking, 2.5mg in mid-afternoon, and 7.5mg at bedtime. Olanzapine causes sleepiness, so normally would be taken only at night, but the daytime dosages were in hopes of controlling the post-Orap symptoms."

mindshift (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2012

"I was prescribed olanzapine as an off-label mood stabiliser for clinical depression. It took away all my positive emotions, leaving me feeling permanently "grey" and essentially soulless. I lost interest in all activities I previously found enjoyable. In four months of "treatment" I'd gained 4 stone, and couldn't stop eating. Only now am I coming off this, a process which has been extremely difficult due to a resurgence of the condition the medicine was treating. "

Anonymous April 20, 2012

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medication is a great sedative, if that's what you're looking for. It's not euphoric, it just makes you sleepy. But it caused me to gain over 40 pounds in less than 2 months. I now get depressed just looking in the mirror. My doctor says it just makes you hungry, not gain weight, but the amount of weight I gained in such a short time is unnatural!"

Anonymous February 13, 2012

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Worked well for depression. Didn't make me sleepy but always hungry."

Anonymous January 18, 2012

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have taken Zyprexa 2.5 with Zoloft for years and couldn't function without this combination. It was prescribed because the Zoloft just didn't take care of the insomnia and mood swings. Zyprexa 2.5 has been a God-send."

jograndmama5 November 2, 2011

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Depression