User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 111 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Insomnia

"This is the only medicine I have taken for insomnia that helps me sleep. at least seven hours. Only drawback is if I take too late at nite I am drowsy for few hours when I wake up."

Deltagirl424 April 16, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "It's Definetely was a love/hate relationship with Zyprexa. I have tried virtually every sleep drug available, and it was one of the best because it not only put me to sleep, but it also KEPT me asleep for 8 hours. Started at 2.5mg, then 5mg, & eventually 7.5. It did take a long time to kick in though, so I had to take it 2 hours before bedtime. But like everybody who takes this, I gained weight. But I found the 1 way you can actually lose weight on this drug, which is to combine exercise with Atkins diet (low carb). Zyprexa gives you metabolic syndrome. You no longer burn carbs, which means all carbs you eat becomes body fat, which is why you become fat on this stuff (so you have to stop eating carbs). I got off this drug after 1 year."

Chronic Insomniac (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 27, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have been prescribed Zyprexa 10mg just two days ago. It was prescribed for insomnia and an extra medication for my depression. I have not slept as well as I was told I would. I have had major restlessness in my legs and arms to where I haven't slept well at all. I have felt very drowsy during the day. I have also tried Ambein which also gave me restlessness in my legs. Not sure if this is right one for me either. Maybe I just need more time? I have noticed I am eating more throughout the day. Not worried about that so much since I need to put on some weight."

Sleepy Lady March 24, 2016

"Success, success, success! I have been on and off olanzapine since I was 18 years old, more off like 99% off and I can say my sleep has been horrible but now I take olanzapine every second night, 10MG and I sleep approximately 8 hours a night. No hangover effects like taking 10MG a night. Shit, doctors say to take 10MG a night are they crazy? why don't they try and take olanzapine before they dose up and ruin lifes. I have taken 10MG a night in the past nightly and it's virtually impossible to get out of bed and during the day you can't think or talk like a human being, I become a social introvert. Doctors want to take this? Only side effect I can say with olanzapine is appetite up/weight gain carbs so watch diet *paleo* carbs kill/weight"

BipolarGuy01 March 7, 2016

"I can finally sleep at night again"

Anonymous November 16, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "If you take this medicine, don't expect to be able to stay awake during the day for a while. It takes time to get used to. As far as how good it is at helping you get to sleep? 10/10, I can't imagine propofol would be more effective."

LordSheogorath (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 3, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Ok, so while I have only begun this last night.. I can say I did fall asleep, which doesn't happen until after midnight, and I only woke up once to pee. I slept for almost 10 hours compared to my restless 4 if that. My only complaint so far is this entire day I have wanted to do NOTHING. I am so tired, I don't want to do anything besides sleep and I don't like this feeling. And I can say I've been hungier today than usual, so I'm paying attention to what I'm eating so I don't overeat.. After a while I'll update my review."

mlf4 August 28, 2015

"I was prescribed Olanzpine for insomnia and it worked like a charm, was on 2.5 mg sometimes 5mg and would always get 8 - 10 hour sleep without waking, also no severe hangover effect the following morning. Downside is it significantly increases your appetite so you need to be cautious of subsequent weight gain thus I would only recommend olanzapine if you're suffering from a severe bout of insomnia."

Tim8998 July 24, 2015

"I take 5 mg of olanzapine and this medicine does help me sleep well at night. I think it's a good medicine."

L.A. (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 10, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medicine is a God send. I've tried every sleeping pill in the book (Ambien, Trazodone, Seroquel, Elavil, ETC.) None of them would keep me asleep the whole night. 10mg of this and I sleep like a baby and don't have the racing thoughts. Only problem is it's real hard to get out of bed and get moving."

nicsnice33 (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I went to a psychiatrist for sleep meds and was prescribed 5 mg. Zyprexa. It helped me sleep but as soon as I stopped taking the medicine after two weeks, I experienced severe insomnia, sweating, palpitation, agitation depression and agitation. I had to be put back on it to to stabilize. I am now taking 7.5 mg. I don't like the effect on me and I will try to taper off of this medicine. I wish I had known about the side effects and widthrawal symptoms of this medicine. "

Sugaray0212 December 25, 2014

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medicine is the best sleep aid I have found. I tried Ambien and it made me crazy. I can sleep with Zyprexa and wake up the next morning with no side effects. I just have to make sure I take it early in the evening. If I take it too late, it will make me groggy in the morning. Unlike some of the reports I have heard, it doesn't effect my weight at all."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 10, 2014

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I used Zyprexa (2.5mg) at night for insomnia caused by anxiety and obsessive thoughts. It is the only thing that helped me sleep that is not addictive and actually worked. It also helped my appetite because when I don't sleep well I don't feel like eating much either. This medication helped with that also. Unfortunately I cannot use it often because it causes my blood sugar to shoot up sky high and I don't like the risk of tardive dyskinesia. I only take a very small dose when I haven't slept in awhile. "

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I tried this after Risperidone (which gave me dyskensia) and Seroquel. It works and makes me tired (when I was a teenager I used it as a sleeping pill). Lots of weight gain though."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2012

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I do have really bad insomnia (for the past 6 years) but this was prescribed to me for daytime use to help keep me calm. It in no way makes me sleepy but works great for my ADHD. I have also gained nearly 10 pounds in only 2 weeks. I'm not a normal eater, usually I only eat dinner, but on this medicine I seem to have doubled what I would normally eat. I'm addressing that issue now. Good calming down medicine I must say."

mitelgoog (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2012

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I gained 10 pounds in 7 days on this."

Anonymous September 24, 2009

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medication was prescribed to help with my insomnia. It was in combination with my antidepressant medication. It did help me sleep, but it was difficult for me to wake up and function normally the next day."

TCC February 25, 2009