User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Olanzapine Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 50 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medicine sucked! I was asleep all the time, all day long! Couldn't function in school, couldn't function at work. I was tired all the time and was eating every food that I saw in front of me. If I could give 0 stars to this medication I would."

laluluke (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 6, 2016

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have been on Zyprexa for about six months. It takes a long time to work (about five months), but when it does you feel much better. I had to struggle with suicidal thoughts for several months before it started working. You HAVE to take this if you are bipolar. Do NOT stop taking it, and have hope. If you are down or up and are reading this then you have to remember suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary mood. I know the struggle, and Zyprexa will help if you keep taking it."

joru819 February 4, 2016

"Very effective but beware of cardiac side effects, I ended up in hospital with severe long QT interval so get an ECG when you start this drug, the withdrawals are also horrific"

Jonnyb1490 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

"This is not a good medicine for me. I'm glad it helps other people, but it makes my body feel like I weigh a thousand pounds, and I can barely move after I wake up the next day after taking it. It makes sleep for more than 14 hours, and it takes another 4 hours to just be able to stand after I wake up. Not a good med for me, I hope others have better experiences."

Fred11123 January 21, 2016

"My mother has been taking olanzapine 5mg once a day for a month. This medicine is really a great help for her. She has enough sleep every night but sometimes when her manic stage overpower her she does crazy things again. She never listens to us, she says "you're are just my daughter!!!! leave me alone!!!" So me and younger my siblings planned some dramatic scenes. I immitate actions words and portray that I am also like her, its an effective strategy..medication plus dramatic counseling"

adwa (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "My mother has a bipolar disorder..I just admitted it last month. She suffers from manic depression for a year then after a year depression occurred..most of the time she does embarrassing things "

eya (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2015

"Took 30 mg nightly. Most effective atypical I've tried. Cured psychosis after 2 months, significantly helped mood swings (from rapid-cycling BP 1), somewhat beneficial for severe insomnia. Intolerable side effects, so was forced to stop Zyprexa. The drug caused paralysis in my legs, partial blindness, daily seizures, severe mental impairment (couldn't remember ATM PIN for 3 weeks!), gained 40 lbs despite strict diet. Off of the drug, lost weight, mental impairment improved, but significant neuromuscular damage. If your body can tolerate it, a fantastic drug. But be warned...Zyprexa can cause permanent damage to your body and mind."

Brian L. December 26, 2015

"Taken during times of acute mania on numerous occasions and less frequently during the depression. Effective but difficult to focus given my type of work resulting in further time lost at the office. Treats the mania and psychosis fairly well but required in hefty doses to have any proper effect which, if course, further exasperates the work situation. I'm neither for or against. It's merely a good stop gap during times of need. Oh, and the weight gain is beyond disgusting. It's the major reason that I refuse to take it regularly."

greenfrog December 8, 2015

"works wonderfully with prozac for bipolar disorder"

Anonymous November 16, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have been taking zyprexa 5 grams...a day..and I don't get any affects from pill? It keeps me mellow but not tired like everyone says? Kinda helps with mood swings..but not really! At least not for me?"

meegy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I take gabapentin, and when I started it, I felt like I had finally found the miracle..but after a year it quit working. After this recent stay in the psych unit, My Doctor put me on Zyprexa 5mgs in the am, 10 mgs at night and it has been a Godsend..I feel so even, I sleep soundly, and wake up without no hangover, ready to take on the world. I have been eating like a pig, but I"m working on controlling that, and eating fruit and yogurt vs. cinnamon rolls and candy...The only drawback is I fear one day it will stop working. Overall, gabapentin and Zyprexa have been lifesavers!"

Zee-Zee November 10, 2015

"My 20 year old son was put on this medication 17 days ago snd is in a facility. Side effects: severe headache, severe muscle and joint pain, urinary incontinence (dribbling), feelings of extreme sadness and emptiness, feeling that death is emminent, extremely dry skin, photo sensitive rash that was very painful on his face which spread to his hands when the dose was raised from 7.5 mg to 15 mg daily in divided doses, severe constipation, loss of libido, loss of memory, sudden anger, orthostatic hypotension, racing / pounding heart beat, chills continuously, and on the 8th day had grand mal seizure. Seroquel was much less toxic. 18 days now..."

Lil guy November 8, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I've been talking zyprexa for about for about 2 weeks now. Family says they can tell a big difference. Mornings are a little hard to get motivated, but I also take Ritalin for add. So that helps me get going. Falling asleep easily and staying asleep. No more racing thoughts or depression. My anxiety is more under control. It does give me craving for food, but I have controlled it so far. I take 5 mg daily.so far so good."

sc hopefully November 8, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I took Zyprexa for 14 years, and it stabilized my psychotic, auditory hallucinations of my bipolar I disorder. I was able to function in normal, social settings (church, friends, family, marriage and dating, even work) without having to deal with the voices I heard in my head when I was not on the medication. Unfortunately for me, the drug outlived it's usefulness, in my body's system ,right at the 14 year mark. I say "unfortunate" because I became so used to the drug's effectiveness, that I thought it would last me for the rest of my life, but as I look back, now, I'm happy to have had the time I did on Zyprexa. The side effects for me were minimal, and I am now stabilized on other meds. Zyprexa also worked well Depakote."

dukemangbob (taken for 10 years or more) November 6, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I was diagnosed with bipolar manic depressive , acute anxiety, depression, ocd , borderline personality, and post traumatic stress syndrome, when I was 21... postpartum depression triggered something, I was constantly agitated and angry, and sad, .I would wake up angry, and cry allll day...my Dr prescribed me 20 mg zyprexa and I swear to you I was terrified, that it would take 4 to 6 weeks to really work (I didn't have 4 to 6 weeks to wait , I felt...) I was nearly over the edge completely, constantly thinking suicide, I took my first dose of zyprexa and the very next morning I woke up wonderful!!! I still get upset , but not like before, this medicine was truly a miracle for me"

Bi polar manic depressive (taken for 10 years or more) November 2, 2015

Zyprexa Zydis (olanzapine): "I was switched to Zyprexa Zydis about two weeks ago by my psychiatrist to help with the huge weight gain and compulsive overeating caused by regular Zyprexa. So far, my appetite has decreased significantly and I'm feeling a lot better about myself physically and emotionally."

Georgearrgh October 6, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This drug caused me a lot of problems. At first it made my mania go away, but after a month on it I developed very stiff muscles. I was given cogentin but that didn't help, and after two months I became very spaced out and my family said I was saying some weird stuff but I couldn't remember. My pdoc finally took me off zyprexa after 4 months when I showed her how stiff my muscles had become ( walking a block was a chore) and told her my leg would start twitching by itself. Overall horrible experience."

Tkv (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Zyprexa has given me my life back in 4 weeks! I have the worst panic attacks and chronic nausea ever!! I have been on every medication under the sun with no relief, if not worse nausea because of the side effects of all the medications. I was on Klonopin, propranolol, hydroxyzine, and zofran every single day and I was still having really bad nausea and panic attacks so bad, I could not leave my house. Dr. prescribed Zyprexa 5mg and after 3 days, I started eating again. I have already gained 2 lbs but I needed to because I was so nauseated I couldn't eat. I'm so excited that I can eat again without feeling everything is going to come back up!!!! I hope it doesn't "poop-out" on me bc It's been a miracle!!"

Shyllie July 24, 2015

"Its very odd to take this preparation under 17 years of age but i did and i gain weight with this best for my manic panic attacks i'll give it 10 my weight was only 42 kgs before i'd taken this and now 6 months have gone and i am 63 kgs by now YOO!! yippiee!!! sounds great thanks Olanzapine 5mg"

SheikhFaizeNabi July 17, 2015

"This was just not the drug for me. While it did make me more level, I had a lot if side effects. I experienced compulsive eating, so i did gain weight. I was always tired and slept in late, and when I could finally get out of bed I felt like a zombie. I was very crabby and irritable... It was breastfeeding friendly and kept me relatively level so it did the job, but I was very happy to finally get switched off it when I weaned my son."

cspong (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2015

"For effectiveness I would give 10, but it caused some serious side effects - massive weight gain, very high blood sugar and raised triglycerides."

be2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "If I could give this a zero rating I would...I was put on this medicine at 16 and it intensified all my issues.....It made me go into constant fits of rage and I gained almost 50 pounds...By far the worst medicine I've taken"

Marr June 25, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medicine is very effective for bipolar. Before this, I cannot sleep at night, because my mind race. Finally after taken this I feel wonderful and no depressed anymore.. The effect is weight gain, before this my weight just around 74 kg, now it went to 99 kg..."

Mica89 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 12, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I was diagnosed as bipolar in 1987.I've always been treatment resistant. Nothing and I mean no meds have ever helped me before.I've tried everything over the years only to have bad side effects and no relief. ECT was actually being recommended to me then my Dr put me on a Zyprexa/ Prozac combination and for the first time in my life I've gotten relief from my symptoms and no side effects. I can finally think clearly. I feel like a totally new person a much better one."

LocaWhetta March 24, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Zyprexa is the only antipsychotic that doesn’t make me feel like a zombie! I kept my personality and my energy. It almost feels like I don’t take an antipsychotic. I take 7.5 mg, because my psychiatrist told me that when you take less then 10 mg daily, the risk of metabolic syndrome is low. It’s very good for treating mania and it augments the effect of my antidepressant. The only downside is that it’s a little bit difficult to wake up."

bipolar12345 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2015