User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Olanzapine review summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by Debbbiiieee (taken for less than 1 month):

Zyprexa (olanzapine): Made me really psychotic.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2014 11:22 AM

Review by yayo53 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Great medicine but I cannot stop gaining weight

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 3:55 PM

Review by rebeccak3165:

I'm 30 years old been diagnosed with bipolar effective disorder with anxiety, I'm on olanzpine and its absolutely brilliant, I take olanzpine 10mg at night and 3 diazapam 5mg now down to 2mg 3 times a day, I was put on quetiapine but had to stop that on my 4th day, it caused me to be aggressive and I felt I was put in a coma for days I was nearly sectioned. I would give olanzpine a 10 but it makes you go to the fridge and binge eat lol. But I rather be fat and happy.

April 18, 2014 10:32 AM

Review by danand2006 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa (olanzapine): I would give Zyprexa a 10 rating except for the weight gain. I have bipolar 1 and have a lot more mania than depression. I have psychotic symptoms also and racing thoughts a lot. It did make me very tired the first couple of weeks but then it worked perfect except for the weight gain so I am not on it anymore.

March 8, 2014 2:03 PM

Review by Donna-1 (taken for 10 years or more):

Took 40mg per day for about a year before I really "came back to life." It helped me sleep but was too sedating overall. It helped me reverse anorexia but I doubled my weight (gained 93 lbs in a few months.) It did stop the psychosis. Was able to feel emotions again after years of numbness. Took varying doses for 17 yrs and had very hard time getting off it when the time was right. Have been off 5 months now and am considering starting again because of severe insomnia & mood swings. Hate the weight gain and lethargy.

February 24, 2014 3:30 AM

Review by jigsrybv:

Zyprexa (olanzapine): I have bipolar 1 disorder. Started with 5mg Zyprexa, now am on 7.5mg at night. I find it really helps me with my moods. Some of the side effects for me are swollen ankles, weight gain and sedative effect throughout the day.

December 12, 2013 10:48 PM

Review by Panda_Bear101 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zyprexa (olanzapine): This drug did its job. It stopped any mood swings for the most part, but the biggest downside was that I bloated up and slept heavily. I put on maybe, 10-20kgs whilst on this drug (I was on it for 2 years). Effective nontheless.

November 2, 2013 7:38 AM

Review by krystle24:

Zyprexa (olanzapine): I have been on 5mg tablet for almost 2 yrs. I started off on one tab a night then cut my dose down to half tab, currently taking 1/4 tab during the day because I always miss my alarm if I take it at night. I over sleep way to much, always tired, brain feels foggy. I've gained 30 pounds and its getting harder to take it off. I'm always hungry and always thirsty. It helps with behaviors. I still flip out but way less often.

September 25, 2013 8:28 PM

Review by Kasey1994:

Zyprexa (olanzapine): I am a 19 yo girl and I have bipolar disorder 2 and suffer anxiety and depression, so my doctor prescribed 10mg Zyprexa daily. I had HORRIBLE side effects. In four months I gained 20kg, developed cystic acne and my thinking was slow and foggy. Any self confidence I had or pride in my appearance evaporated completely. The worst part is I still had the anxiety and the depression (although I didn't expect an antipsychotic to help with depression). I'm so glad I'm not on it anymore. Zyprexa was definitely not for me.

August 13, 2013 9:52 AM

Review by clicky (taken for less than 1 month):

This medication is a miracle for me. Not only did it take me out of my mania, but it left me in a place that was workable. I take 15mg before sleep, along with my 100mg Trazodone, and I sleep like a rock. When I wake up, there is hardly any grogginess like there was with the Seroquel. I would recommend this medicine to anyone suffering from bipolar 1 severe, or any type of mania.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2013 6:13 PM

Review by JJVEE:

Works well, and works fast. Do not be afraid to talk with your doctor about increasing the dosage early on if it is only working a little bit, especially if you have tried a lot of the other anti-psychotics before. I am bipolar 1, severe with psychotic features- about as intense as it gets for bipolar- and olanzapine finally did it. I started off at 5mg the first day at night, the next day 10, and then 15mg the following day with 5mg taken in the morning. This medicine works very well for my anxiety, as well. I highly recommend this medication.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 2, 2013 9:29 AM

Review by Jon.W:

Olanzapine is the best medicine I have ever taken, all the other medicines made me either erratic or a zombie. I have an almost symptomless existence on it (part from a bit of enjoyable hypomania). I feel stable, clear and ready to conquer the world. People close to me notice if I've had a dip, and are quick to tell me. It's taken a long time and I now trust people when they are telling me I'm ill.

July 2, 2013 10:45 AM

Review by ms pimpin thang (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zyprexa (olanzapine): I have literally been on every medication you can think of. Prozac, Zoloft, Geodon, Haldol, Effexor, Risperdal, Abilify, Xanax, clonazepam and the list doesn't stop but Zyprexa did it! None of them seemed to help until I tried Zyprexa! I do not have to take anxiety medicines anymore because somehow Zyprexa took care of that also and my anxiety used to be so bad.

June 27, 2013 5:01 PM

Review by Katzendame:

Zyprexa (olanzapine): It's great for anxiety and moods. It's helped a lot. Only bad thing is weight gain. I have gone up 2 dress sizes, craving a lot of junk food as well.

June 7, 2013 3:42 AM

Review by Crawling (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa (olanzapine): I loved this medicine, it stabilized me, helped me sleep without being too drowsy but sadly I have had to be moved off because I gained 4 stone. But that is the only side effect I had.

April 5, 2013 4:00 AM

Review by DirtyDrew (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa (olanzapine): Got hospitalized. upped to 10mg morning and evening. This dose has helped my symptoms. I've had blackouts, and panic attacks and sex problems with every other atypical out there. Zyprexa is great. Only negative is gaining weight fast, while being slightly sedating, which makes it harder to exercise.

March 28, 2013 10:20 PM

Review by DirtyDrew (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa (olanzapine): 10mg Zyprexa gave me insomnia due to restless legs. It had minimal impact on my symptoms. I gained 30lb in a matter of weeks.

March 11, 2013 12:03 PM

Review by prestes (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa (olanzapine): I have been taking Zyprexa for over a month and it just recently started making me sleep over 14+hours a night. I am tired and unmotivated. The anxiety has slowed way down but is not completely gone. I take 5mg per night and I also take Ativan 3 times a day.

December 17, 2012 1:04 PM

Zyprexa (olanzapine): When I was diagnosed as bipolar I was put on Zyprexa. I took it 3 times a day and it was great at eliminating my mania, depression, and anxiety symptoms. However I had two side effects, I would get tired and I gained over 100 pounds over 12 years. So my doctor suggested lithium and I am on that now and doing fine and I have lost 30 pounds in 4 months.

December 4, 2012 4:50 PM

Zyprexa (olanzapine): After the first time I took Zyprexa, my head and legs felt like they weighed one tone each! I tried it for 2 weeks and this got worse! It increased my appetite a lot too. My dr is currently trying to find a medicine that works for me. Its so hard as I get a lot of strange side effects on these medicines!

November 7, 2012 9:18 PM

Zyprexa (olanzapine): I found zyprexa to be quite effective however it made me very tired and unmotivated though. I was incredibly hungry all day. Only stayed on it for about a month and put on 7lbs. I am in the process of exploring different antipsychotics that are more weight friendly. Putting on weight was making me depressed and making me become more hostile because of it

October 15, 2012 7:21 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa (olanzapine): Puerperal Psychosis: Made me incredibly hungry and then not even remember eating things! One time I ate 7 doughnuts in one night - I only know this because I found the empty packet the next morning. I have no memory of eating them. I put a lot of weight on doing this.

September 21, 2012 7:02 PM

Zyprexa (olanzapine): Works

August 15, 2012 9:06 PM

Zyprexa (olanzapine): I had a bad reaction to an anti-inflammatory misdiagnosed as bipolar and was put on this drug. It causes psychoses in someone wrongly put on it.

July 13, 2012 10:52 AM

Review by Lotus68 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zyprexa (olanzapine): Bipolar I - I take Zyprexa, Lithium and Lamictal. Zyprexa is the only medicine that has controlled my severe depression part of my bipolar. It has changed my life. I am slightly hungrier but I'll take that over feeling so depressed.

June 4, 2012 2:38 PM