User Reviews for Olanzapine

Also known as: Zyprexa, Zyprexa Intramuscular, Zyprexa Relprevv, Zyprexa Zydis

Learn more about Olanzapine.

Olanzapine Review Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Olanzapine to treat Bipolar Disorder

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I was diagnosed as bipolar in 1987.I've always been treatment resistant. Nothing and I mean no meds have ever helped me before.I've tried everything over the years only to have bad side effects and no relief. ECT was actually being recommended to me then my Dr put me on a Zyprexa/ Prozac combination and for the first time in my life I've gotten relief from my symptoms and no side effects. I can finally think clearly. I feel like a totally new person a much better one."

LocaWhetta March 24, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Zyprexa is the only antipsychotic that doesn’t make me feel like a zombie! I kept my personality and my energy. It almost feels like I don’t take an antipsychotic. I take 7.5 mg, because my psychiatrist told me that when you take less then 10 mg daily, the risk of metabolic syndrome is low. It’s very good for treating mania and it augments the effect of my antidepressant. The only downside is that it’s a little bit difficult to wake up."

bipolar12345 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "The olanzapine works for me. I sleep at night and my thoughts rarely race now. And it is so wonderful not to feel depressed. If it wasn't for the weight gain, I would give it a ten."

bluemoose (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have been taking Zyprexa for 14 years, my new doctor took me off in October and I was a mess in Dec. Now Feb back on for a month and I feel better. Doc is worried about long time effects, she wants to try quitting again in 6 months. I don't know but I'm stable on Zyprexa. I'm fine and mess without it. I'm Bi-polar."

Gregg1 February 4, 2015

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This medicine works really well as a mood stabilizer for me. The only MAJOR drawback is weight gain. I just can't control myself when the carb cravings happen. I am usually very much in control of my dietary habits, but on Zyprexa that just isn't possible. I also suffer from schizoaffective disorder and hear voices. Although Zyprexa suppresses them, it does not completely get rid of them in my case; they are quiet enough to tolerate though. I have gained 35 pounds in less than about a month and a half. I am going to wean off of these and ask the psych-doc for something else."

Jaded1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2014

"I have been on several antipsychotics, this is the first atypical and it has changed my life. After cancer, beating it and then being placed on this new regimen with clonazepam for anxiety component, this medication has helped tremendously but has a short half-life, so don't miss a dose."

postCancerBestLifeEver (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 23, 2014

"I started 5mg of olanzapine last night. I have not slept or felt calm in a couple months. I have dealt with Bipolar 1 and ADHD for many years. I went to my Psychiatrist and was told that for my condition I should not be on things like Celexa that I was taking at 40mg at night. Those serotonin medications can hype me up especially at night. So the only other medicine I take is Inderal LA 120mg for tremors I have from a neurological condition since childhood. I slept great last night for the first time in a long time. I also feel much more at ease in gathering my thoughts and focus. I just hope it continues and I do my part in staying stable too."

Spencer E October 24, 2014

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Had a break down at age 15 and eventually got on Zyprexa. Like everybody else said I gained about 30-40 pounds, could be very sleepy sometimes, but it completely stopped the voices I was hearing for the past 8 months. It gave me my life back. Just kinda woke up feeling normal after being on the medicine for a few days. It was amazing. Was on 10mg at the highest and worked all the way down to 2.5mg over the next year. Had a prayer service at my church (Doctor was ok with us taking a trial run off medicines since I had been doing well on a low dose for the past few months) and now have been off meds and completely fine for over 10 years now. Very thankful. "

JAM87 October 21, 2014

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Made me really psychotic."

Debbbiiieee (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2014

"Great medicine but I cannot stop gaining weight"

yayo53 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2014

"I'm 30 years old been diagnosed with bipolar effective disorder with anxiety, I'm on olanzpine and its absolutely brilliant, I take olanzpine 10mg at night and 3 diazapam 5mg now down to 2mg 3 times a day, I was put on quetiapine but had to stop that on my 4th day, it caused me to be aggressive and I felt I was put in a coma for days I was nearly sectioned. I would give olanzpine a 10 but it makes you go to the fridge and binge eat lol. But I rather be fat and happy."

rebeccak3165 April 18, 2014

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I would give Zyprexa a 10 rating except for the weight gain. I have bipolar 1 and have a lot more mania than depression. I have psychotic symptoms also and racing thoughts a lot. It did make me very tired the first couple of weeks but then it worked perfect except for the weight gain so I am not on it anymore."

danand2006 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2014

"Took 40mg per day for about a year before I really "came back to life." It helped me sleep but was too sedating overall. It helped me reverse anorexia but I doubled my weight (gained 93 lbs in a few months.) It did stop the psychosis. Was able to feel emotions again after years of numbness. Took varying doses for 17 yrs and had very hard time getting off it when the time was right. Have been off 5 months now and am considering starting again because of severe insomnia & mood swings. Hate the weight gain and lethargy."

Donna-1 (taken for 10 years or more) February 24, 2014

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have bipolar 1 disorder. Started with 5mg Zyprexa, now am on 7.5mg at night. I find it really helps me with my moods. Some of the side effects for me are swollen ankles, weight gain and sedative effect throughout the day."

jigsrybv December 12, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "This drug did its job. It stopped any mood swings for the most part, but the biggest downside was that I bloated up and slept heavily. I put on maybe, 10-20kgs whilst on this drug (I was on it for 2 years). Effective nontheless."

Panda_Bear101 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 2, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have been on 5mg tablet for almost 2 yrs. I started off on one tab a night then cut my dose down to half tab, currently taking 1/4 tab during the day because I always miss my alarm if I take it at night. I over sleep way to much, always tired, brain feels foggy. I've gained 30 pounds and its getting harder to take it off. I'm always hungry and always thirsty. It helps with behaviors. I still flip out but way less often."

krystle24 September 25, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I am a 19 yo girl and I have bipolar disorder 2 and suffer anxiety and depression, so my doctor prescribed 10mg Zyprexa daily. I had HORRIBLE side effects. In four months I gained 20kg, developed cystic acne and my thinking was slow and foggy. Any self confidence I had or pride in my appearance evaporated completely. The worst part is I still had the anxiety and the depression (although I didn't expect an antipsychotic to help with depression). I'm so glad I'm not on it anymore. Zyprexa was definitely not for me."

Kasey1994 August 13, 2013

"This medication is a miracle for me. Not only did it take me out of my mania, but it left me in a place that was workable. I take 15mg before sleep, along with my 100mg Trazodone, and I sleep like a rock. When I wake up, there is hardly any grogginess like there was with the Seroquel. I would recommend this medicine to anyone suffering from bipolar 1 severe, or any type of mania."

clicky (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2013

"Works well, and works fast. Do not be afraid to talk with your doctor about increasing the dosage early on if it is only working a little bit, especially if you have tried a lot of the other anti-psychotics before. I am bipolar 1, severe with psychotic features- about as intense as it gets for bipolar- and olanzapine finally did it. I started off at 5mg the first day at night, the next day 10, and then 15mg the following day with 5mg taken in the morning. This medicine works very well for my anxiety, as well. I highly recommend this medication."

JJVEE August 2, 2013

"Olanzapine is the best medicine I have ever taken, all the other medicines made me either erratic or a zombie. I have an almost symptomless existence on it (part from a bit of enjoyable hypomania). I feel stable, clear and ready to conquer the world. People close to me notice if I've had a dip, and are quick to tell me. It's taken a long time and I now trust people when they are telling me I'm ill."

Jon.W July 2, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I have literally been on every medication you can think of. Prozac, Zoloft, Geodon, Haldol, Effexor, Risperdal, Abilify, Xanax, clonazepam and the list doesn't stop but Zyprexa did it! None of them seemed to help until I tried Zyprexa! I do not have to take anxiety medicines anymore because somehow Zyprexa took care of that also and my anxiety used to be so bad."

ms pimpin thang (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 27, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "It's great for anxiety and moods. It's helped a lot. Only bad thing is weight gain. I have gone up 2 dress sizes, craving a lot of junk food as well."

Katzendame June 7, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "I loved this medicine, it stabilized me, helped me sleep without being too drowsy but sadly I have had to be moved off because I gained 4 stone. But that is the only side effect I had."

Crawling (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "Got hospitalized. upped to 10mg morning and evening. This dose has helped my symptoms. I've had blackouts, and panic attacks and sex problems with every other atypical out there. Zyprexa is great. Only negative is gaining weight fast, while being slightly sedating, which makes it harder to exercise."

DirtyDrew (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2013

Zyprexa (olanzapine): "10mg Zyprexa gave me insomnia due to restless legs. It had minimal impact on my symptoms. I gained 30lb in a matter of weeks."

DirtyDrew (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2013