User Reviews for Promethazine

Also known as: Adgan, Anergan 50, Antinaus 50, Phenadoz, Phenazine 50, Phenergan, Phenergan Fortis, Phenoject-50, Pro-Med, Promethegan, V-Gan-25, V-Gan-50

Learn more about Promethazine.

Nausea/Vomiting 94 reviews 159 medications

Vertigo 5 reviews 29 medications

6.2
Summary of Promethazine reviews 145 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Promethazine

For Nausea/Vomiting: "While in the hospital, I was suffering from nausea and vomiting. Since I could not keep anything down because of the vomiting, I was given Zofran via IV. It worked quickly and controlled my nausea and vomiting. I was given a prescription for Zofran when I was discharged. When the vomiting began again at home, I was unable to hold down the Zofran long enough for it to work. My doctor called in a script for Phenergan (promethazine) rectal suppositories. I found that they worked almost as quickly as the IV Zofran and actually did a better job controlling the nausea and vomiting. As mentioned in other reviews, both the pills and suppositories can make you a bit sleepy."

Hoosier Bill (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

For Allergic Reactions: "Wasn't effective"

TawniJo April 24, 2016

For Sedation: "Great stuff. Best way to beat restless sleep patterns. Not up and down like a yoyo when I take. One. Use 1 25mg. Get sick of the silly questions at the pharmacy. Don't take it every night about 3 times a week."

chezdebs (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 13, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I have had stomach issues due to my GERD and have tried Zofran and it didn't work at all. My DR then had me try out Promethazine for whenever I feel nauseous when my GERD acts up or I eat something that makes me feel sick and it's gone within 15-20 minutes. It hasn't made me tired, but sometimes I will get a very quick blurred vision spell which I was warned about. But I love it.. it really helps me out"

Promethazinefan (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2016

Phenergan (promethazine) for Allergic Reactions: "My son was given a one-time dose of 25mg of this drug intravenously for nausea in hospital, while on iv drips which included nitroglycerin, blood pressure medications, and pain opiates. He had a *severe* reaction, which included extremely high bp spikes (over 200 systolic), seizures, disorientation and hallucinations. The blood pressure spikes and seizures were extremely dangerous, as he had just suffered aortic dissection. It was fortunate that this drug reaction was not fatal. This drug should have a huge warning against usage with blood pressure meds, as that is a potentially fatal combination. The pharmacy should reject any request to use this drug in such a combination."

DontUseWithBPMeds (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

For Light Sedation: "I suffer bad tinnitus and don't get much sleep I take 2 of these tablets but they don't work :/"

Soph22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I have been taking Phenergan for relief of nausea for years. When I use to suffer from chronic migraine headaches, Phenergan would not only help with the nausea but also help me sleep and help with the pain. Several years ago I was in the hospital for a bad post-op bone infection (from a compound fracture) and I had awful nausea and the current drugs of choice couldn't control it like Phenergan."

Cowboy Hoss (taken for 10 years or more) February 15, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting: "Just started coumadin.. one of the side effects is nausea. Has anyone taken promethazine for nausea from coumadin? I definitely think the Coumadin is causing this as started about same time."

Summerbean (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2016

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I have never heard of this medication being used for anything but nausea and vomiting but it helps me I have GERD, acid re-flux all the time and some foods make me sick to my stomach if it gets too bad I will take half a 25 mg tablet if that does not work I take the other half it states on script not to take more than one every 8 hours so taking two at one time would literally be overdosing my medication and not using it as prescribed I do not recommend doing that with this medication it knocks me out with just one half of a dose anything over what is prescribed is abusing the prescription. As far as knocking me out I actually want to sleep when I am nauseated so I am glad it knocks me out so I do not get sick to my stomach any more"

sstone January 31, 2016

For Opiate Adjunct: "I'm on some strong Pain Meds, including Methadone 10mg 4x daily, and Oxycodone 15mg 4x daily after I tore my ACL and broke my arm while playing football. I've had chronic nausea for about 15 years now, I'm a 27 year old male. When I got put on those narcotics, my nausea went out of control, real bad. My pain doctor gave me a script for Promethazine, 50mg 3x daily, and all I can say is, WOW! My nausea is now completely gone, AND it makes my pain Meds work MUCH better. Takes away the negative side effects such as itchiness, and nausea, and adds to the positives such as reducing pain. Thank you Promethazine!"

Promethadone (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 26, 2016

For Sedation: "I've always suffered with bad sleeping patterns and anxiety around stressful times such as exams or when I have a lot of deadlines, taking two of these (25mg each) knocks me out and means I don't have the bad anxiety dreams (that used to stop me from thinking straight) and now I get everything sorted the next day."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2016

For Sedation: "Great if you take it to calm down. I use it for severe agitation."

Anonymous December 7, 2015

Phenergan (promethazine) for Motion Sickness: "Hallucinations, nausea, irritability and exhausted"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2015

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I was prescribed this medicine about a year and a half ago to get over a stomach bug. Then, when I got Clostridium Difficile a year ago, I asked for this medicine again. I have an undetermined stomach condition that I've had since I can remember. It makes me feel nauseous often. My doctor gave me a refillable prescription of Promethazine. Every single time I take promethazine, my nausea is gone in 40 minutes or less! It has been wonderful for me. It does make me sleepy, but its worth it for me if it stops the nausea. I take 1/2 of a 25mg tablet if I'm feeling only somewhat bad, 1 tablet if I'm feeling bad, and rarely two tablets if I feel extremely bad. It is the only thing I've tried that always works completely without fail. I love it!"

PromethazineFan (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 10, 2015

Phenergan (promethazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I was diagnosed with H Pylori and I was throwing up and nauseated every day for an entire month finally I was hospitalized and they gave me phenergran and God Bless the person who created this drug. Even now when I feel the slightest bit of nausea I take it and it'll knock me out and wake up feeling great"

Anonymous November 4, 2015

For Nausea/Vomiting: "I was nauseous and in pain for 3 months straight couldn't hold anything down at all. Dr could not figure out what was wrong, I lost 70lbs in that three months from not eating anything but applesauce and water. Two years ago I was diagnosed with GERD acid reflux and a hiatus hernia, still with the meds they put me on I was unable to hold food down maybe toast rice water etc. Finally my Dr introduced me to promethazine, it has been my best friend I take it probably 3 to 4 times a week and everytime within 30~40min it works fabulous. I would recommend it to anyone who has nauseous/vomiting issues."

Nikki326hunter October 19, 2015

For Sedation: "I take phernergan to help me sleep when I am run down or am needing that extra bit of sleep. It always knocks me out within an hour and I sleep like a baby! I struggle to wake up if I take a higher dosage but I wake up feeling refreshed and like I have slept for years! I recommend it to everyone who has trouble sleeping! I have also used it for hay fever but never really saw any remarkable changed in my allergy."

Kate111 October 8, 2015

Phenergan (promethazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "All opiates make me sick so I have to take promethazine with them. Also the only thing that stopped my morning sickness."

Honeybee36 (taken for 10 years or more) October 5, 2015

For Sedation: "I'm an 18 year old female and was prescribed this drug by my doctor as I have trouble sleeping. Now I sleep great but have trouble waking up in the morning and feel tired and light headed for the rest of the day. Not sure if this is normal or not for this medication"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 26, 2015

Phenergan (promethazine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "I tried this medicine a day after I vomited three times and had that nausea feeling and that next day I vomited once in the morning but when I went to the medical centre they gave me the prescription for phenergan. I fell asleep instantly for two hours and a half and woke up refreshed and my stomach did not hurt for the rest of the day and I didn't vomit ever since. It's the best medicine for nausea and vomiting."

S.laz September 24, 2015

For Sedation: "I am 53 year old male. I hurt my leg during an accident cliff jumping in the lake causing seveir leg damage.Doctor gave me Promethazine for nausea but I found that it really helps me sleep during pain epesodes from the operation. I have been taking 25 milligrams before sleeping. it's like placing a warm blanket over you, reduceing anxiety and coping with pain Allowing sleep."

iron racer September 2, 2015

Phenergan (promethazine) for Allergic Rhinitis: "It worked to help me sleep every time I tried except once. Also is great if you are sick to your stomach. I have never used it for allergies, but I want to. Try it if your Doctor lets you."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 31, 2015

Phenergan (promethazine) for Sedation: "I was prescribed this for my 6 yr old daughter to help her sleep. I've only been using it a couple of nights but it doesn't seem to be working. I am giving her the 3x5ml dose and giving her it at 6pm and up to now she is still not going to sleep before 11pm. Am I not giving her enough or not giving it enough time to work? Advice greatly appreciated! Thanks"

Ghand79 August 28, 2015

For Nausea/Vomiting: "This medicine saved my life I had severe nausea couldn't keep anything down. I was at the point where I thought this pregnancy would kill me but my doc introduced me to this medicine and it changed my life. I love it and I always keep it around"

mommy to be (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2015

For Light Sedation: "I came across this by accident and after two tablets all my medical ailments disappeared (anxiety, stress and IBS-D) . Off diazapam and Imodium now . Amazing after 40 years of misery that I can now enjoy life. Plus no sleeping tablets now either --- result !!!!"

Shon 48 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2015