User Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Also known as: 40 Winks, Aler-Dryl, Aler-Tab, Alka-Seltzer Plus Allergy, Aller-G-Time, Allergia-C, Allermax, Altaryl, Banaril, Banophen, Beldin, Belix, Ben-Tann, Benadryl, Benadryl Allergy, ...show all 95 brand names

Learn more about Diphenhydramine.

Pruritus 0 reviews 289 medications

Extrapyramidal Reaction 0 reviews 66 medications

Summary of Diphenhydramine reviews 80 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Review by 562Peterson19 (taken for less than 1 month):

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: After I was in a severe car accident 8 years ago I've had chronic back pain and muscle spasms which has made it very hard to sleep. I am in the medical field and have tried lots of over the counter medicines and have also been prescribed medication however since taking Sominex I have been able to sleep through the night and I don't wake up groggy! Love it!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 24, 2014 2:25 AM

Review by Loug33:

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: I use Sominex they really help me sleep I'm having a full nights sleep now and not waking during the night. HAPPY DAYS.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 22, 2014 9:03 PM

Review by Leelo (taken for 10 years or more):

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Hay Fever: Benadryl knocks all my symptoms out, the only problem is it can knock me out too but when nothing else works, Benadryl will do it. It's cheap, effective and available in every store.

March 19, 2014 10:17 AM

Review by DeeJayS:

For Insomnia: I have been taking half of a pill for years...but just recently have felt that it has not been as effective, so increased to a whole pill (25mg) and it works great with no sluggishness the next morning. Also ever since I have been taking these every night for sleep, I have noticed that I have fewer sinus infections..(I have allergies)...so it serves two purposes for me..

March 4, 2014 11:21 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Cough: Diagnosed with a nerve related cough by allergist. He prescribed Astepro spray. It helped greatly for 2 months and then cough started even with usage of Astepro. Tried Diphenhydramine 25mg. X 5 or 6 daily to supplement spray and achieving good results.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 31, 2013 5:20 PM

Review by Marie2 Julia:

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: Sominex helps me to get to sleep fast. I can wake as I need and then return to sleep quickly.

September 28, 2013 3:40 PM

Review by kimsGodchild (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: Sominex works well; sleep all night!!

August 5, 2013 11:18 PM

Review by Katrina505 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Nytol Caplet (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: I have trouble sleeping since my MOM passed away, plus a move too. So this really helps to calm me down, from my grief too, also to get the rest I need.

July 20, 2013 7:44 PM

Review by cupcake02011 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Allergic Reactions: My doctor gave me this in 2010 when I first began having seasonal allergies. I thought it was the best allergy medication out there, like top notch stuff. Turns out its just a basic type of medication. No superpowers involved, but it works great you would think there are superpowers in them!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 3, 2013 9:08 PM

Review by Yeshus:

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: I have taken Sominex for a few days now and still wake up after 2-3 hours sleep and can't get back to sleep again. I am so tired. Yet I can fall asleep in the chair really easy in the day. I was hoping Sominex would work but so far it really hasn't.

March 26, 2013 4:24 AM

Review by Daxton (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Nightime Sleepaid (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: My doctor had prescribed Ambien. Before taking it, I wanted to know side-effects. Found that it can have very negative unwanted side-effects. Therefore, did NOT even take one tablet. Threw them out! So, I turned to the Equate Nighttime Sleep aid, 50mg., which was a good choice. Help me to sleep well. I do, though, awake although briefly around 2:30-3:00 AM after having gong to bed at 9:00 PM. Notice some daytime sleepiness at times.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2013 11:37 AM

Review by astuder11:

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: I absolutely love Sominex. It works so great I fall asleep pretty fat and stay asleep which is so fantastic. Sometimes I wake up in the same position I fell asleep in. When I wake up it takes a few mins but once you start moving around you are fine.

February 28, 2013 5:01 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Q-Dryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: Stopped the infernal itching (from poison ivy) within 15 minutes and dramatically reduced the spelling of the blisters.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 22, 2012 4:28 PM

Review by Kia N (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: Sominex is a great night time sleep aide. One of the less costly options.

August 16, 2012 4:27 PM

Review by Mama chic (taken for less than 1 month):

For Allergic Reactions: It's a great medication except for the drowsy and sluggish effects.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2012 1:05 PM

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Nausea/Vomiting: I have emtophobia, that is, a pervasive fear of vomiting. I do not know if this affects vomiting, but if I feel nauseous, Benadryl works wonders. My stomach settles right down and my anxiety lowers just enough for me to deal with it without the use of benzodiazepines.

June 15, 2012 10:24 PM

Review by benny d. reAl (taken for 10 years or more):

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: Relieves most allergy symptoms.

May 22, 2012 1:33 AM

Review by Jen234 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: I use this medicine for weather allergies and allergies to medications when I need it. It does help greatly but does not last long and my burning sensation comes back into my body and the hives start to show. However a lot of people say that this medicine makes them feel sedated. I have the complete opposite I take 1 before bed and I will not sleep.

May 12, 2012 11:48 PM

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: As a former bartender, I'm a night owl by nature. Now that I'm in law school and have 8am classes, I can't afford to be up all night. It ruins my entire next day because I cannot think and I am useless. Also, lack of sleep depresses me and gives me anxiety. Anyhow, I have tried literally everything under the sun- Ambien, Sleepy time, Valerian, melatonin, Simply sleep, and 4-5 others, both natural and not, and Sominex is the only one that has ever consistently worked to not only put me to sleep, but KEEP me asleep, on most nights. Occasionally I'll have an off night when I wake up mid-sleep or when I'm super groggy in the morning, but at least 90% of the time it works great. I usually take it about 1-2.5 hours before I want to fall asleep.

April 14, 2012 1:10 AM

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Nausea/Vomiting: Didn't seem to work very well for me.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2012 10:37 AM

Review by AllergySufferer:

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: Works well and is one of my to go-to antihistamines. However it is very sedating and is also not long-lasting. It would work great for someone with insomnia as a milder sleep-aid, but for my use I would say that it works, but makes you sedated.

March 14, 2012 9:01 PM

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: This works much better than anything. It made me stay asleep longer as well.

March 5, 2012 5:09 PM

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Cough: Variant asthma, chronic, have been on many antihistamines and other costly asthma medicines over the years. I began taking Benadryl in late November 2011. Taking 25 mg after awakening in the morning followed an hour or so later with 25 mg with another 25mg early afternoon (when symptoms occur) and 25 mg prior to bedtime in conjunction with Symbicort twice/day. I have a much improved quality of life and am beginning to have some control over the chronic cough.

January 7, 2012 4:24 PM

Review by hscolnik:

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: I have used it on and off for years to help me sleep in the day (I work 3rd shift) and it is consistently helpful.

November 26, 2011 5:33 AM

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: Have tried all sorts of prescription medicine from my doctor, but found these worked so well.

November 18, 2011 8:10 PM