User Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Also known as: 40 Winks, Aler-Dryl, Aler-Tab, Alka-Seltzer Plus Allergy, Aller-G-Time, Allergia-C, Allermax, Altaryl, Banaril, Banophen, Beldin, Belix, Ben-Tann, Benadryl, Benadryl Allergy, ...show all 95 brand names

Learn more about Diphenhydramine.

Pruritus 0 reviews 293 medications

5.5
Summary of Diphenhydramine reviews 87 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Review by All I Want is Sleep (taken for less than 1 month):

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: This was not very effective for me and it made me feel worse the next day even if I got 8 hours of sleep. It isn't really worth it.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 6, 2015 6:46 AM

Review by OAIAB:

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Hay Fever: Very sensitive to medication. Can not take histamines. Finally have outgrown allergies. Off and on about 20 yrs.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2015 12:15 PM

Review by robertocsada (taken for less than 1 month):

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Extrapyramidal Reaction: Diphenhydramine definitely calms down my muscles and helps with any antipsychotic induced akathesia at night. Great for sleep as well and helps me stay in bed in the mornings, but I'm able to get up early if I need to.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2015 8:29 AM

Review by Tweet_WA (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine) for Urticaria: I have suffered with chronic uticaria for over 10 years and over the last 6 months it has become a daily nightmare. Benadryl worked a bit but it was probably due to the sedating effect allowing me to sleep. However, I can now take 4 tablets and still itch. I've combined this with an H2 blocker such as Zantac and it helps enough to be able to sleep a couple of hours and then I'm awoken to intense itching.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 6, 2015 6:20 AM

Review by cd101617 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Nausea/Vomiting: Great for nausea. However does cause sleepiness.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2014 1:22 AM

Review by James Brain:

Vicks QlearQuil Nighttime Allergy Relief (diphenhydramine) for Cold Symptoms: This did not work for me at all. I lay in bed for the third night in a row, congested and unable to sleep. Not sure why it doesn't work for me, but I am severely unsatisfied. No side effects, but no desired effects either.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2014 11:34 PM

Review by use caution when taking:

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: I was given Benadryl at the hospital for an allergic reaction. It instantly shot my heart rate up to 217 bpm and instantly my mouth got dry I couldn't swallow my chest felt hot like an elephant was sitting on it and I got really cold. It put me into shock my body wouldn't stop shaking, I could breath. It was so scary I thought I was dead thanks to the doctors quick response he saved me but it almost killed me.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 28, 2014 6:58 AM

Review by 562Peterson19 (taken for less than 1 month):

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: After I was in a severe car accident 8 years ago I've had chronic back pain and muscle spasms which has made it very hard to sleep. I am in the medical field and have tried lots of over the counter medicines and have also been prescribed medication however since taking Sominex I have been able to sleep through the night and I don't wake up groggy! Love it!

June 24, 2014 2:25 AM

Review by Loug33:

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: I use Sominex they really help me sleep I'm having a full nights sleep now and not waking during the night. HAPPY DAYS.

March 22, 2014 9:03 PM

Review by Leelo (taken for 10 years or more):

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Hay Fever: Benadryl knocks all my symptoms out, the only problem is it can knock me out too but when nothing else works, Benadryl will do it. It's cheap, effective and available in every store.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2014 10:17 AM

Review by DeeJayS:

For Insomnia: I have been taking half of a pill for years...but just recently have felt that it has not been as effective, so increased to a whole pill (25mg) and it works great with no sluggishness the next morning. Also ever since I have been taking these every night for sleep, I have noticed that I have fewer sinus infections..(I have allergies)...so it serves two purposes for me..

March 4, 2014 11:21 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Cough: Diagnosed with a nerve related cough by allergist. He prescribed Astepro spray. It helped greatly for 2 months and then cough started even with usage of Astepro. Tried Diphenhydramine 25mg. X 5 or 6 daily to supplement spray and achieving good results.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 31, 2013 5:20 PM

Review by Marie2 Julia:

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: Sominex helps me to get to sleep fast. I can wake as I need and then return to sleep quickly.

September 28, 2013 3:40 PM

Review by kimsGodchild (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: Sominex works well; sleep all night!!

August 5, 2013 11:18 PM

Review by Katrina505 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Nytol Caplet (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: I have trouble sleeping since my MOM passed away, plus a move too. So this really helps to calm me down, from my grief too, also to get the rest I need.

July 20, 2013 7:44 PM

Review by cupcake02011 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Allergic Reactions: My doctor gave me this in 2010 when I first began having seasonal allergies. I thought it was the best allergy medication out there, like top notch stuff. Turns out its just a basic type of medication. No superpowers involved, but it works great you would think there are superpowers in them!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 3, 2013 9:08 PM

Review by Yeshus:

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: I have taken Sominex for a few days now and still wake up after 2-3 hours sleep and can't get back to sleep again. I am so tired. Yet I can fall asleep in the chair really easy in the day. I was hoping Sominex would work but so far it really hasn't.

March 26, 2013 4:24 AM

Review by Daxton (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Nightime Sleepaid (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: My doctor had prescribed Ambien. Before taking it, I wanted to know side-effects. Found that it can have very negative unwanted side-effects. Therefore, did NOT even take one tablet. Threw them out! So, I turned to the Equate Nighttime Sleep aid, 50mg., which was a good choice. Help me to sleep well. I do, though, awake although briefly around 2:30-3:00 AM after having gong to bed at 9:00 PM. Notice some daytime sleepiness at times.

March 17, 2013 11:37 AM

Review by astuder11:

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: I absolutely love Sominex. It works so great I fall asleep pretty fat and stay asleep which is so fantastic. Sometimes I wake up in the same position I fell asleep in. When I wake up it takes a few mins but once you start moving around you are fine.

February 28, 2013 5:01 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Q-Dryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: Stopped the infernal itching (from poison ivy) within 15 minutes and dramatically reduced the spelling of the blisters.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 22, 2012 4:28 PM

Review by Kia N (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: Sominex is a great night time sleep aide. One of the less costly options.

August 16, 2012 4:27 PM

Review by Mama chic (taken for less than 1 month):

For Allergic Reactions: It's a great medication except for the drowsy and sluggish effects.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2012 1:05 PM

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Nausea/Vomiting: I have emtophobia, that is, a pervasive fear of vomiting. I do not know if this affects vomiting, but if I feel nauseous, Benadryl works wonders. My stomach settles right down and my anxiety lowers just enough for me to deal with it without the use of benzodiazepines.

June 15, 2012 10:24 PM

Review by benny d. reAl (taken for 10 years or more):

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: Relieves most allergy symptoms.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 22, 2012 1:33 AM

Review by Jen234 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: I use this medicine for weather allergies and allergies to medications when I need it. It does help greatly but does not last long and my burning sensation comes back into my body and the hives start to show. However a lot of people say that this medicine makes them feel sedated. I have the complete opposite I take 1 before bed and I will not sleep.

May 12, 2012 11:48 PM