User Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Also known as: 40 Winks, Aler-Dryl, Aler-Tab, Alka-Seltzer Plus Allergy, Aller-G-Time, Allergia-C, Allermax, Altaryl, Banaril, Banophen, Beldin, Belix, Ben-Tann, Benadryl, Benadryl Allergy, ...show all 96 brand names

Learn more about Diphenhydramine.

Pruritus 0 reviews 293 medications

Extrapyramidal Reaction 1 reviews 66 medications

5.5
Summary of Diphenhydramine reviews 93 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I'm a little young to be needing sleeping pills, but I do sadly. (17 years old). I took the 2 small tablets, and I fell asleep around an hour later. But when I woke up I felt like complete crap as I was SO tired. I could barely get up to put my clothes on, and when I did, I felt a little dizzy, and I passed out which was the scariest thing. Tried them again just in case it wasn't the pills, happened again. So for now I'm going to stick to taking 1 instead of 2, and see if that helps any."

Anonymous July 5, 2015

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Works for me in the same manner all the above have stated. Be aware, though, it is intended for occasional use, not nightly use. It's active ingredient is basically Benedryl, the same as in many allergy meds. If you check ingredient labels rather than going by the brand name, you may be able to find a bargain."

Gi-Savannah (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2015

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Very ineffective. Caused me to have a racing heart not sleep and to feel depressed and anxious the next day. Don't recommend"

Sandrajessica June 25, 2015

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "This worked great for me! Full 8 hours sleep and woke up very refreshed with no drowsiness. However it did not work as well when used on long haul flight as i continually woke up. Still not much drowsiness though"

aus_kiwi May 31, 2015

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "I have a severe dairy allergy and I have had it for all of my life. My doctor (who has been a doctor for more than 20 years) told me I had the worst case he has ever seen. If I touch it, I break out into hives, if I eat it or just put it in my mouth and then spit it back out, I go into anaphylactic shock. (where my lungs close up and I stop breathing) I always carry around the liquid Benadryl (because it works faster than the pills) in my purse. On many occasions, a double dose of it has saved my life and delayed the reaction from getting worse until I could get to the emergency room. Literally a life saver."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) May 5, 2015

Nytol (diphenhydramine) for : "I've been taking nytol for a week now and they do work for trouble sleeping as I work night shifts and its hard to sleep when the sun is shining through the window. BUT its making me miss days of work because I will sleep for 14-16 hours at a time, its making me sleep through my alarm (I have the sonicboom alarm clock which shakes the whole bed and is really loud but its now not waking me up) it knocks me out within 30-40 min of taking it"

mattlev May 1, 2015

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "Experienced an allergic reaction during dinner at a new restaurant. Throat started itching terribly so we left and drove to the nearest pharmacy. Used Benadryl syrup because I thought it would work faster. Fixed my allergic reaction in a minute."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2015

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "This was not very effective for me and it made me feel worse the next day even if I got 8 hours of sleep. It isn't really worth it."

All I Want is Sleep (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2015

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Hay Fever: "Very sensitive to medication. Can not take histamines. Finally have outgrown allergies. Off and on about 20 yrs."

OAIAB January 25, 2015

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Extrapyramidal Reaction: "Diphenhydramine definitely calms down my muscles and helps with any antipsychotic induced akathesia at night. Great for sleep as well and helps me stay in bed in the mornings, but I'm able to get up early if I need to."

robertocsada (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2015

Benadryl Allergy (diphenhydramine) for Urticaria: "I have suffered with chronic uticaria for over 10 years and over the last 6 months it has become a daily nightmare. Benadryl worked a bit but it was probably due to the sedating effect allowing me to sleep. However, I can now take 4 tablets and still itch. I've combined this with an H2 blocker such as Zantac and it helps enough to be able to sleep a couple of hours and then I'm awoken to intense itching."

Tweet_WA (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 6, 2015

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Nausea/Vomiting: "Great for nausea. However does cause sleepiness."

cd101617 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2014

Vicks QlearQuil Nighttime Allergy Relief (diphenhydramine) for Cold Symptoms: "This did not work for me at all. I lay in bed for the third night in a row, congested and unable to sleep. Not sure why it doesn't work for me, but I am severely unsatisfied. No side effects, but no desired effects either."

James Brain November 2, 2014

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Allergic Reactions: "I was given Benadryl at the hospital for an allergic reaction. It instantly shot my heart rate up to 217 bpm and instantly my mouth got dry I couldn't swallow my chest felt hot like an elephant was sitting on it and I got really cold. It put me into shock my body wouldn't stop shaking, I could breath. It was so scary I thought I was dead thanks to the doctors quick response he saved me but it almost killed me. "

use caution when taking October 28, 2014

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "After I was in a severe car accident 8 years ago I've had chronic back pain and muscle spasms which has made it very hard to sleep. I am in the medical field and have tried lots of over the counter medicines and have also been prescribed medication however since taking Sominex I have been able to sleep through the night and I don't wake up groggy! Love it!"

562Peterson19 (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2014

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I use Sominex they really help me sleep I'm having a full nights sleep now and not waking during the night. HAPPY DAYS."

Loug33 March 22, 2014

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for Hay Fever: "Benadryl knocks all my symptoms out, the only problem is it can knock me out too but when nothing else works, Benadryl will do it. It's cheap, effective and available in every store."

Leelo (taken for 10 years or more) March 19, 2014

For Insomnia: "I have been taking half of a pill for years...but just recently have felt that it has not been as effective, so increased to a whole pill (25mg) and it works great with no sluggishness the next morning. Also ever since I have been taking these every night for sleep, I have noticed that I have fewer sinus infections..(I have allergies)...so it serves two purposes for me.."

DeeJayS March 4, 2014

For Cough: "Diagnosed with a nerve related cough by allergist. He prescribed Astepro spray. It helped greatly for 2 months and then cough started even with usage of Astepro. Tried Diphenhydramine 25mg. X 5 or 6 daily to supplement spray and achieving good results."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 31, 2013

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Sominex helps me to get to sleep fast. I can wake as I need and then return to sleep quickly."

Marie2 Julia September 28, 2013

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "Sominex works well; sleep all night!!"

kimsGodchild (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2013

Nytol Caplet (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I have trouble sleeping since my MOM passed away, plus a move too. So this really helps to calm me down, from my grief too, also to get the rest I need."

Katrina505 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2013

For Allergic Reactions: "My doctor gave me this in 2010 when I first began having seasonal allergies. I thought it was the best allergy medication out there, like top notch stuff. Turns out its just a basic type of medication. No superpowers involved, but it works great you would think there are superpowers in them!"

cupcake02011 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 3, 2013

Sominex (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "I have taken Sominex for a few days now and still wake up after 2-3 hours sleep and can't get back to sleep again. I am so tired. Yet I can fall asleep in the chair really easy in the day. I was hoping Sominex would work but so far it really hasn't."

Yeshus March 26, 2013

Nightime Sleepaid (diphenhydramine) for Insomnia: "My doctor had prescribed Ambien. Before taking it, I wanted to know side-effects. Found that it can have very negative unwanted side-effects. Therefore, did NOT even take one tablet. Threw them out! So, I turned to the Equate Nighttime Sleep aid, 50mg., which was a good choice. Help me to sleep well. I do, though, awake although briefly around 2:30-3:00 AM after having gong to bed at 9:00 PM. Notice some daytime sleepiness at times."

Daxton (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 17, 2013