User Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Also known as: 40 Winks, Aler-Dryl, Aler-Tab, Alka-Seltzer Plus Allergy, Aller-G-Time, Allergia-C, Allermax, Altaryl, Banaril, Banophen, Beldin, Belix, Ben-Tann, Benadryl, Benadryl Allergy, ...show all 96 brand names

Learn more about Diphenhydramine.

Diphenhydramine Review Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Diphenhydramine to treat Insomnia

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine): "I'm a little young to be needing sleeping pills, but I do sadly. (17 years old). I took the 2 small tablets, and I fell asleep around an hour later. But when I woke up I felt like complete crap as I was SO tired. I could barely get up to put my clothes on, and when I did, I felt a little dizzy, and I passed out which was the scariest thing. Tried them again just in case it wasn't the pills, happened again. So for now I'm going to stick to taking 1 instead of 2, and see if that helps any."

Anonymous July 5, 2015

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "Works for me in the same manner all the above have stated. Be aware, though, it is intended for occasional use, not nightly use. It's active ingredient is basically Benedryl, the same as in many allergy meds. If you check ingredient labels rather than going by the brand name, you may be able to find a bargain."

Gi-Savannah (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2015

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine): "Very ineffective. Caused me to have a racing heart not sleep and to feel depressed and anxious the next day. Don't recommend"

Sandrajessica June 25, 2015

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine): "This worked great for me! Full 8 hours sleep and woke up very refreshed with no drowsiness. However it did not work as well when used on long haul flight as i continually woke up. Still not much drowsiness though"

aus_kiwi May 31, 2015

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine): "This was not very effective for me and it made me feel worse the next day even if I got 8 hours of sleep. It isn't really worth it."

All I Want is Sleep (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2015

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "After I was in a severe car accident 8 years ago I've had chronic back pain and muscle spasms which has made it very hard to sleep. I am in the medical field and have tried lots of over the counter medicines and have also been prescribed medication however since taking Sominex I have been able to sleep through the night and I don't wake up groggy! Love it!"

562Peterson19 (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2014

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "I use Sominex they really help me sleep I'm having a full nights sleep now and not waking during the night. HAPPY DAYS."

Loug33 March 22, 2014

"I have been taking half of a pill for years...but just recently have felt that it has not been as effective, so increased to a whole pill (25mg) and it works great with no sluggishness the next morning. Also ever since I have been taking these every night for sleep, I have noticed that I have fewer sinus infections..(I have allergies)...so it serves two purposes for me.."

DeeJayS March 4, 2014

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "Sominex helps me to get to sleep fast. I can wake as I need and then return to sleep quickly."

Marie2 Julia September 28, 2013

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "Sominex works well; sleep all night!!"

kimsGodchild (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2013

Nytol Caplet (diphenhydramine): "I have trouble sleeping since my MOM passed away, plus a move too. So this really helps to calm me down, from my grief too, also to get the rest I need."

Katrina505 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 20, 2013

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "I have taken Sominex for a few days now and still wake up after 2-3 hours sleep and can't get back to sleep again. I am so tired. Yet I can fall asleep in the chair really easy in the day. I was hoping Sominex would work but so far it really hasn't."

Yeshus March 26, 2013

Nightime Sleepaid (diphenhydramine): "My doctor had prescribed Ambien. Before taking it, I wanted to know side-effects. Found that it can have very negative unwanted side-effects. Therefore, did NOT even take one tablet. Threw them out! So, I turned to the Equate Nighttime Sleep aid, 50mg., which was a good choice. Help me to sleep well. I do, though, awake although briefly around 2:30-3:00 AM after having gong to bed at 9:00 PM. Notice some daytime sleepiness at times."

Daxton (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 17, 2013

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "I absolutely love Sominex. It works so great I fall asleep pretty fat and stay asleep which is so fantastic. Sometimes I wake up in the same position I fell asleep in. When I wake up it takes a few mins but once you start moving around you are fine. "

astuder11 February 28, 2013

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "Sominex is a great night time sleep aide. One of the less costly options."

Kia N (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 16, 2012

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "As a former bartender, I'm a night owl by nature. Now that I'm in law school and have 8am classes, I can't afford to be up all night. It ruins my entire next day because I cannot think and I am useless. Also, lack of sleep depresses me and gives me anxiety. Anyhow, I have tried literally everything under the sun- Ambien, Sleepy time, Valerian, melatonin, Simply sleep, and 4-5 others, both natural and not, and Sominex is the only one that has ever consistently worked to not only put me to sleep, but KEEP me asleep, on most nights. Occasionally I'll have an off night when I wake up mid-sleep or when I'm super groggy in the morning, but at least 90% of the time it works great. I usually take it about 1-2.5 hours before I want to fall asleep."

Anonymous April 14, 2012

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "This works much better than anything. It made me stay asleep longer as well."

Anonymous March 5, 2012

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): "I have used it on and off for years to help me sleep in the day (I work 3rd shift) and it is consistently helpful."

hscolnik November 26, 2011

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "Have tried all sorts of prescription medicine from my doctor, but found these worked so well. "

Anonymous November 18, 2011

Sominex (diphenhydramine): "I take it 3 or 4 times a week and it works well. Full night's sleep. A little drowsy when I wake up but it passes after my morning coffee. I love it."

don8841 November 18, 2011

40 Winks (diphenhydramine): "In a lower dose of 25mg it made it easier to wake up in the morning and increased my appetite but in the higher dose of 50mg I got headaches, lost my appetite, and my sleep got even more messed up."

Anonymous February 24, 2011

"I use this instead of Xanax. It works and has no hangover effect. My concern, however, is that a thrombophlebitis might have been the result of more that a month's moderate usage. I did go to the hospital where lab work was done and a wet-scan ultra-sound was done, with no evidence of clotting. I will continue to use it because it's more effective than any other product. "

mac1681 November 2, 2010

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): "I really like Unisom SleepGels. I work at night, so sometimes I have difficulty sleeping mornings. They help me get the sleep I need, with no grogginess. And I only take them when I'm too hyped up to go to sleep, but I need to sleep. "

DownTown3500 September 26, 2010

"I could not afford the expensive sleeping prescriptions, and was afraid of getting addicted to them, so I tried Sleep Aid Liquidcaps. I take one every night about 1 hour before bedtime and I sleep all night and get up in the morning feeling rested. Before, I was having trouble falling asleep and only getting about 3 hours sleep at night."

Anonymous May 25, 2010

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): "Works excellent if you haven't built a tolerance to it. After a few days of use you may find the medicine is less effective than it was when you first used it. Benadryl knocks me out quite quick when I use it, the only problem I have with it is that I tend to oversleep or wake up groggy the morning after, which is generally relieved with some sort of caffeinated beverage."

diphenman May 3, 2010