User Reviews for Diphenhydramine

Also known as: 40 Winks, Aler-Dryl, Aler-Tab, Alka-Seltzer Plus Allergy, Aller-G-Time, Allergia-C, Allermax, Altaryl, Banaril, Banophen, Beldin, Belix, Ben-Tann, Benadryl, Benadryl Allergy, ...show all 95 brand names

Learn more about Diphenhydramine.

Diphenhydramine review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Diphenhydramine to treat Insomnia

Review by 562Peterson19 (taken for less than 1 month):

Sominex (diphenhydramine): After I was in a severe car accident 8 years ago I've had chronic back pain and muscle spasms which has made it very hard to sleep. I am in the medical field and have tried lots of over the counter medicines and have also been prescribed medication however since taking Sominex I have been able to sleep through the night and I don't wake up groggy! Love it!

June 24, 2014 2:25 AM

Review by Loug33:

Sominex (diphenhydramine): I use Sominex they really help me sleep I'm having a full nights sleep now and not waking during the night. HAPPY DAYS.

March 22, 2014 9:03 PM

Review by DeeJayS:

I have been taking half of a pill for years...but just recently have felt that it has not been as effective, so increased to a whole pill (25mg) and it works great with no sluggishness the next morning. Also ever since I have been taking these every night for sleep, I have noticed that I have fewer sinus infections..(I have allergies)...so it serves two purposes for me..

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2014 11:21 PM

Review by Marie2 Julia:

Sominex (diphenhydramine): Sominex helps me to get to sleep fast. I can wake as I need and then return to sleep quickly.

September 28, 2013 3:40 PM

Review by kimsGodchild (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Sominex (diphenhydramine): Sominex works well; sleep all night!!

August 5, 2013 11:18 PM

Review by Katrina505 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Nytol Caplet (diphenhydramine): I have trouble sleeping since my MOM passed away, plus a move too. So this really helps to calm me down, from my grief too, also to get the rest I need.

July 20, 2013 7:44 PM

Review by Yeshus:

Sominex (diphenhydramine): I have taken Sominex for a few days now and still wake up after 2-3 hours sleep and can't get back to sleep again. I am so tired. Yet I can fall asleep in the chair really easy in the day. I was hoping Sominex would work but so far it really hasn't.

March 26, 2013 4:24 AM

Review by Daxton (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Nightime Sleepaid (diphenhydramine): My doctor had prescribed Ambien. Before taking it, I wanted to know side-effects. Found that it can have very negative unwanted side-effects. Therefore, did NOT even take one tablet. Threw them out! So, I turned to the Equate Nighttime Sleep aid, 50mg., which was a good choice. Help me to sleep well. I do, though, awake although briefly around 2:30-3:00 AM after having gong to bed at 9:00 PM. Notice some daytime sleepiness at times.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2013 11:37 AM

Review by astuder11:

Sominex (diphenhydramine): I absolutely love Sominex. It works so great I fall asleep pretty fat and stay asleep which is so fantastic. Sometimes I wake up in the same position I fell asleep in. When I wake up it takes a few mins but once you start moving around you are fine.

February 28, 2013 5:01 AM

Review by Kia N (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Sominex (diphenhydramine): Sominex is a great night time sleep aide. One of the less costly options.

August 16, 2012 4:27 PM

Sominex (diphenhydramine): As a former bartender, I'm a night owl by nature. Now that I'm in law school and have 8am classes, I can't afford to be up all night. It ruins my entire next day because I cannot think and I am useless. Also, lack of sleep depresses me and gives me anxiety. Anyhow, I have tried literally everything under the sun- Ambien, Sleepy time, Valerian, melatonin, Simply sleep, and 4-5 others, both natural and not, and Sominex is the only one that has ever consistently worked to not only put me to sleep, but KEEP me asleep, on most nights. Occasionally I'll have an off night when I wake up mid-sleep or when I'm super groggy in the morning, but at least 90% of the time it works great. I usually take it about 1-2.5 hours before I want to fall asleep.

April 14, 2012 1:10 AM

Sominex (diphenhydramine): This works much better than anything. It made me stay asleep longer as well.

March 5, 2012 5:09 PM

Review by hscolnik:

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): I have used it on and off for years to help me sleep in the day (I work 3rd shift) and it is consistently helpful.

November 26, 2011 5:33 AM

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): Have tried all sorts of prescription medicine from my doctor, but found these worked so well.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2011 8:10 PM

Review by don8841:

Sominex (diphenhydramine): I take it 3 or 4 times a week and it works well. Full night's sleep. A little drowsy when I wake up but it passes after my morning coffee. I love it.

November 18, 2011 10:30 AM

40 Winks (diphenhydramine): In a lower dose of 25mg it made it easier to wake up in the morning and increased my appetite but in the higher dose of 50mg I got headaches, lost my appetite, and my sleep got even more messed up.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2011 3:10 AM

Review by mac1681:

I use this instead of Xanax. It works and has no hangover effect. My concern, however, is that a thrombophlebitis might have been the result of more that a month's moderate usage. I did go to the hospital where lab work was done and a wet-scan ultra-sound was done, with no evidence of clotting. I will continue to use it because it's more effective than any other product.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 2, 2010 9:54 AM

Review by DownTown3500:

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): I really like Unisom SleepGels. I work at night, so sometimes I have difficulty sleeping mornings. They help me get the sleep I need, with no grogginess. And I only take them when I'm too hyped up to go to sleep, but I need to sleep.

September 26, 2010 10:41 AM

I could not afford the expensive sleeping prescriptions, and was afraid of getting addicted to them, so I tried Sleep Aid Liquidcaps. I take one every night about 1 hour before bedtime and I sleep all night and get up in the morning feeling rested. Before, I was having trouble falling asleep and only getting about 3 hours sleep at night.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 25, 2010 9:10 AM

Review by diphenman:

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): Works excellent if you haven't built a tolerance to it. After a few days of use you may find the medicine is less effective than it was when you first used it. Benadryl knocks me out quite quick when I use it, the only problem I have with it is that I tend to oversleep or wake up groggy the morning after, which is generally relieved with some sort of caffeinated beverage.

May 3, 2010 7:40 PM

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): I have used for two years. Works every time but had to increase dosage to 100 mg after first year.

February 8, 2010 8:14 PM

Review by lfsilva:

Benadryl (diphenhydramine): I find that this causes me to only awaken with a severe headache. It can also cause a very restless and agitated feeling making it difficult to fall asleep.

November 10, 2009 4:15 PM

Simply Sleep (diphenhydramine): Works well but causes dry throat and dry nose. Combined with melatonin and was out within 20 minutes.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2009 1:52 PM

This medicine does not help at all for my insomnia. I have taken small and larger doses and I still find myself just as awake as if I had taken nothing. It probably just is not strong enough because none of the OTC sleep aids worked for me. I eventually was put on Ambien CR which works very well.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 31, 2009 1:47 AM

Unisom SleepGels (diphenhydramine): I did not sleep at all in fact I stayed up longer.

October 19, 2009 7:19 AM