Generic Name: carisoprodol (kar eye soe PROE dole)
Brand Names: Soma, Vanadom
What is carisoprodol?
Carisoprodol is a muscle relaxer that works by blocking pain sensations between the nerves and the brain.
Carisoprodol is used together with rest and physical therapy to treat injuries and other painful musculoskeletal conditions.
Carisoprodol may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
What is the most important information I should know about carisoprodol?This medication may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Carisoprodol should never be given to another person, especially someone who has a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it. You may have withdrawal symptoms when you stop using carisoprodol after using it over a long period of time. Do not stop using this medication suddenly without first talking to your doctor. You may need to use less and less before you stop the medication completely. Carisoprodol can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert. Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase drowsiness and dizziness caused by carisoprodol.
What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking carisoprodol?Do not use this medication if you are allergic to carisoprodol or meprobamate (Equanil, Miltown), or if you have porphyria.
Before using this medication, tell your doctor if you are allergic to any drugs, or if you have:
epilepsy or other seizure disorder;
liver disease; or
If you have any of these conditions, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely take carisoprodol.This medication may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Carisoprodol should never be given to another person, especially someone who has a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it. You may have withdrawal symptoms when you stop using carisoprodol after using it over a long period of time. Withdrawal symptoms include stomach pain, sleep problems, headache, nausea, and seizure (convulsions). Do not stop using this medication suddenly without first talking to your doctor. You may need to use less and less before you stop the medication completely. This medication may be harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. It is not known whether carisoprodol passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby. Do not give this medication to a child younger than 12 years old..
How should I take carisoprodol?
Take this medication exactly as it was prescribed for you. Do not take the medication in larger amounts, or take it for longer than recommended by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label.Take each dose with a full glass of water. Store carisoprodol at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
See also: Carisoprodol dosage (in more detail)
What happens if I miss a dose?
Take the missed dose of carisoprodol as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and take the medicine at the next regularly scheduled time. Do not take extra carisoprodol to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?Seek emergency medical attention if you think you have used too much carisoprodol.
Overdose symptoms may include shallow breathing, vision problems, fast heartbeat, confusion, hallucinations (seeing things), muscle stiffness, feeling light-headed, fainting, or seizure (convulsions).
What should I avoid while taking carisoprodol?Carisoprodol can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert. Cold or allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, sleeping pills, muscle relaxers, and medicine for seizures, depression or anxiety can add to sleepiness caused by carisoprodol. Tell your doctor if you regularly use any of these other medicines. Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase drowsiness and dizziness caused by carisoprodol.
Carisoprodol side effectsGet emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stop using carisoprodol and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
paralysis (loss of feeling);
extreme weakness or lack of coordination;
feeling light-headed, fainting;
vision loss; or
Less serious side effects may include:
drowsiness, dizziness, tremor;
depression, feeling irritable;
sleep problems (insomnia); or
nausea, vomiting, hiccups, upset stomach.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Tell your doctor about any unusual or bothersome side effect. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
See also: Carisoprodol side effects (in more detail)
What other drugs will affect carisoprodol?
There may be other drugs that can affect carisoprodol. Tell your doctor about all the prescription and over-the-counter medications you use. This includes vitamins, minerals, herbal products, and drugs prescribed by other doctors. Do not start using a new medication without telling your doctor.
More Carisoprodol resources
- Carisoprodol Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Carisoprodol Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Carisoprodol Monograph (AHFS DI)
- carisoprodol MedFacts Consumer Leaflet (Wolters Kluwer)
- carisoprodol Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Soma Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Somatuline Depot Monograph (AHFS DI)
- Somavert Monograph (AHFS DI)
Where can I get more information?
- Your pharmacist can provide more information about carisoprodol.
What does my medication look like?
Carisoprodol is available with a prescription under the brand name Soma. Other brand or generic formulations may also be available. Ask your pharmacist any questions you have about this medication, especially if it is new to you.
Soma 350 mg - white, round tablets
- Remember, keep carisoprodol and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects.