Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Tizanidine

Also known as: Zanaflex

Learn more about Tizanidine.

Muscle Spasm 87 reviews 55 medications

7.5
Cluster Headaches 10 reviews 35 medications

6.9
Summary of Tizanidine reviews 97 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Tizanidine

Review by Ga boy (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: Zanaflex works great to relieve my lower back pain. However, it seems to keep me awake instead of helping me sleep. I rest well but just do not fall asleep.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 18, 2014 8:31 AM
Review by LAFS (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I have Multiple Sclerosis and was excited to begin Zanaflex as soon as it was approved in 1996. I had studied it for quite some time as it was in use in 47 countries before the US. I Love it and have had great results to this day with it. I'm not sure if it is very well presented or explained to patients; however, this is a very unique skeletal muscle relaxant & it actually targets the actual nerves of the patient. When you begin treatment it is important to note that for the 1st 2-3 weeks it is taking effect in your system. Great medicine!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 4, 2014 11:18 PM
Review by jokerswild5050: User Rating:

tizanidine for Muscle Spasm: My insurance company decided to stop paying for the medication I was on so my Doc is trying something else and that something else is is Tizanidine. I had hopes that it would work as I have several medical issues but unfortunately all that has happened is I have the worst case of dry... well I was going to say dry mouth but it's more like someone cut the top of my head & filled it up with sand. I have the worse case of dry head. I know it sounds funny but my eyes, nose & mouth are so dry. I can't remember a medication making me feel quite so dry. It isn't helping the muscle spasms at all but as a sleep aid it works pretty good.

February 21, 2014 9:03 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Worked like a dream until it began causing incontinence.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 4, 2014 4:56 PM
Review by backitis (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: This medication caused my blood pressure to drop but did not relieve the muscle spasms in my back.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 20, 2013 12:50 PM
Review by CerebralPalsyChick: User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: This medicine helps me sleep but that's the best i can say about it. It doesn't relieve pain or help relax my spastisity. If your pain and problems are only at night this is good for you. I hallucinate a lot once I adjusted to the dose it changed but if I ever have to take more than usual then I start to hear and see things......I had conversations with my husband in the middle of the night when he wasn't there. And many other accounts. I would suggest you use caution. I have a very high level of muscle pain for many reasons and I'm very spastic so its not a surprise that Zanaflex doesn't work as well as I'd like for me. I will continue to take it while i explore other options. It isn't a bad medication.

November 1, 2013 12:15 PM
Review by Chitown-Di (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

tizanidine for Muscle Spasm: I've had several lower back issues for the majority of my life including surgery. I used to take Flexeril but didn't like the way it made me feel. I told my doc and he switched me to Zanaflex. It has been a God send especially when it comes to sleep. I used to take Ambien but has severe side effects including a dangerous sleepwalking episode. I have replaced Flexeril and Ambien with Zanaflex with incredible results. I take it before bed and am able to get a great nights rest without that horrible "drunk"/drowsy feeling when I get up. The only drawback is I do get very tired approximately 30 min after taking it so I don't use it during the day.

October 15, 2013 8:44 AM
Review by southernbeauty (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: Zanaflex has really helped me. I had major hip surgery last year and have had a very difficult time bouncing back. After the surgery I became very weak, lost significant amounts of muscle definition and tone, which resulted in a weakened lower back and core. I now live in excruciating pain, my L5 & S1 has completely compressed with my sciatic nerve in the middle. I have extreme nerve pain, and hypersensitivity down my right leg. Daily chores are very difficult, and my love for fitness now feels like a daunting chore. My doctor switched me from Soma to Zanaflex. At first I didn't like it because it made me extremely drowsy and would knock me out. Now I am used to the side effects and can honestly say that this medication is the best muscle relaxer I have ever taken. It reduces back pain, loosens up the tightness, and compliments my oxycodone very nicely. I can finally "function" again, and exercise, lift weights, and do my daily duties as a house wife & mother.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 4, 2013 10:14 AM
Review by tunatea:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: This has served duty as a sleep aid and muscle relaxer. I seemed to never get sleep until I tried this. My neck pain is much better. Only bad note is I'm a little more tired but it's worth it for the pay offs.

September 21, 2013 9:28 AM
Review by Lower and mid back pain (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

tizanidine for Muscle Spasm: My GP prescribed this for neck cramps from sitting in front a PC monitor so much. Works great for that. However, it also works wonders for my lower and mid back pains, aches and spasms. I take 2 mg a couple times during the day and 4 mg about 30 minutes before bed. If I am having really bad back pain, I'll take 4 mg 3-4 times during the day. I do have some pretty vivid dreams, some bizarre, but few horrid dreams. Overall this is wonderful medicine for my ailments!

September 18, 2013 6:31 PM
Review by txnbgfan (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

tizanidine for Muscle Spasm: The doctor put me on this medicine a couple of weeks ago. They seem to help with my muscle tightness in my back, but makes me very sleepy so I can't really take during the day. I take it about 30 mins to a hr before bed and sleep good, but they give me very disturbing, scary dreams. I thought maybe it was from the other medicines I take, but apparently I'm not the only one who has bad dreams when taken.

September 17, 2013 2:08 PM
Review by Blackberry16: User Rating:

tizanidine for Cluster Headaches: My doctor prescribed tizandine for Migraine headaches, to relieve the tension in the neck area. I started with a quarter pill for 4 nights, moving to half pill. It does not make me overly drowsy or cause bad dreams (yet!). I am working up to an entire pill. However, I have oddly begun to develop a rash. This seems to be a rare side effect. Unfortunately, I think I will have to discontinue use - it seems to have started working.

June 8, 2013 9:35 PM
Review by mamawpudy (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

tizanidine for Muscle Spasm: I have only taken this for 2 nights. I am a zombie, and it is now 4:30 am and I just awoke from the most disturbing dream I've ever had.

May 31, 2013 5:29 AM
Review by ignaciagirl (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

tizanidine for Muscle Spasm: I have been tizanidine for about a month now and it does help me with muscle spasms..The biggest drawback is that I feel extremely tired during the day..almost like a hangover.

May 28, 2013 11:25 PM
Review by All Here (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

tizanidine for Muscle Spasm: This medicine is working okay on a daily basis for my symptoms. Does not cause nausa or extreme dizziness, but will make you sleepy.

May 11, 2013 3:49 PM
Review by joyce (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I have chronic pain from several herniated discs and spinal stenosis. I also have fibromyalgia. I began taking Zanaflex last month and the relief is wonderful. I no longer hurt and spasm all night and now I can sleep instead. I take 4mg tabs 2 at bedtime and go immediately to bed as it makes me drowsy right away and I become dizzy if I stay up. I wake up rested with no hangover at all and feel good the next day. I take narcotics during the day for pain relief and the addition of this to my regimen is great. I love it.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 2, 2013 1:16 PM
Review by whatt?: User Rating:

tizanidine for Cluster Headaches: Didnt help,

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 1, 2013 5:40 PM
Review by redbaggirl/47 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

tizanidine for Muscle Spasm: This medication only dries me out and seems to make my spasms worse. I somehow feel this is related.

April 17, 2013 3:42 PM
Review by paprys: User Rating:

tizanidine for Cluster Headaches: I am on my fifth cluster headache episode. The last time I had one was four years ago, and they generally last about a month. My doctor prescribed the medication to take only at night, and what a difference. Even though I am awakened about an hour after I have been sleeping with the cluster headache, the pain is only about a 3 - 4 on a scale of 1 - 10. I am up for about 5 minutes and generally fall back asleep as the pain is dull. One night I didn't take it, and I was awakened with the cluster with pain at about a 9, and it lasted for 1 1/2 hrs. I will never do that again. I am very happy with this medication!

March 22, 2013 6:11 PM
Review by crazy1679: User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: This medicine helped for fibromyalgia but caused hallucinations and fatigue.

February 18, 2013 12:57 AM
Review by dhbwms: User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I have had very positive results with this medicine. I have MS and this help reduce problems.

January 27, 2013 3:04 AM
Review by OrdO (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I found that this medicine managed the muscle spasms associated with the three herniated discs in the lumbar region of my back

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 1, 2013 8:28 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

tizanidine for Muscle Spasm: Since taking this, I've noticed that I do not have to take as much of my prescribed pain medication. Does cause drowsiness and do not recommend driving while on this medication. For my condition it has helped improve my quality of life until I get my surgery.

December 3, 2012 3:40 PM
Review by Turkey (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: Zanaflex is great for muscle spasms as I have them from Osteoarthritis in my spine, also spinal stenosis. If you are on any heart meds, please use the interactions checker because it may cause severe drops in blood pressure. I am taking Lisinopril, Hydrochlorothiazide and Metoprolol for heart arrhythmias and my blood pressure was dropping to dangerous levels. All of my specialists knew what medicines I was taking, but none of them noticed the interactions. I checked them myself here at Drugs.com and found the RED FLAGS myself, so be careful.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 6, 2012 7:52 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

tizanidine for Muscle Spasm: I was put on Zanaflex about a six months after my surgery, along with narcotic pain relievers. Zanaflex worked for a while then started giving me muscle spasms. I had to get off of them.

August 27, 2012 8:21 PM