Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Tizanidine

Also known as: Zanaflex

Learn more about Tizanidine.

Muscle Spasm 105 reviews 55 medications

7.5
Cluster Headaches 11 reviews 35 medications

6.9
Summary of Tizanidine reviews 116 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Tizanidine

Review by egg plant (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I've been on these for about 8 years. They work good on low back pain, DJD and bulging disc on my neck. Along with other pain killers it works good, but don't drive while on them. They do make you sleepy fast and also they tend to lower your blood pressure and you will get dizzy standing up. You can get a good night sleep on them. I take one 4 mg 2 times a day.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2015 4:28 AM

Review by miga:

For Muscle Spasm: I take 8 mg a day. 2 mg morning and noon and 4 mg in the evening. Effective in spasm relieve and perfect for the night, before that I was constantly tired, but unable to rest at night of discomfort and pain in the neck. Now I am alive during the day with some exceptions, an hour after I take 2 mg pill I feel sleepy if I am relaxed. But if I am outside or active sleepiness goes away. That is not applied for 4 mg, after this does I am out.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2015 6:28 AM

Review by NicoleLynn615 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I take this along with Baclofen to try and calm the tone and muscle spasms. Since adding the Xanaflex my muscle spasms don't last as long. However they do still occur quite frequently.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2015 3:30 PM

Review by loripnyl:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: So far so good.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 16, 2015 7:00 PM

Review by dallasann:

For Muscle Spasm: It helps with my nerve pain but it does put me to sleep for a couple hours.

March 10, 2015 9:32 PM

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: Prescribed after 4th lumbar fusion fail. Helps with sleeping in a painful condition

February 12, 2015 9:42 AM

Review by rocnrlr (taken for less than 1 month):

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for : I'm an active 51-year-old female with severe neck pain, esp. on the right, and probably from playing too many games on Android. I have had trigger point injections, facet blocks, PT, massage, TENS, daily heat therapy, and a host of meds over the past several months. I also take Norco regularly. Soma did not help the neck pain. But this Zanaflex works very well to alleviate the neck pain quickly. I only take it if I don't have to drive (or be social) because of the dry mouth and grogginess. My brother, 29, takes it for his back pain and swears by it, too. I just wish I could get rid of the neck pain. I think it's also improved with my new exercise program: 30 mins on the elliptical, stretches, crunches, and leg lifts, then machines.

February 10, 2015 3:55 AM

Review by mickymouseannette:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for : Zanaflex is "the best" muscle relaxer besides Xanax. It will dry your mouth out but the good outweighs that. This will put you to sleep in 30-45 minutes. No hangovers and memory loss and getting up in middle of night and eating like Ambien makes you. Can take 1/2 during day when required for tight, knotty, hard muscles that hurt so bad from multiple bad surgeries.

February 7, 2015 9:30 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Cluster Headaches: I have severe and debilitating cluster tension headaches. I had a problem with doctors trying to treat me for migraines and I DON'T HAVE MIGRAINES. This is the only medication that seems to work. My headaches seem to stem from my neck. This medicine totally relieves my neck pain and may also be helping my sciatica. Sleepy.... YES. However I usually have trouble sleeping from the headaches and neck pain, so I'm not complaining.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2015 1:49 AM

Review by DrugExpert101 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: Take this for Neck Spasms after surgery. Taking now for 2 years. Had major surgery. Do not think this is good for me, anyways. I can not stay awake when I take it, thus, I have to take it only at night, and cannot drive, and please do not drive if you take this medication as it, for me, puts me right out. Told 3 doctors this, they will not give me another med for neck spasms and cramps so I use it as I can. It helps, but does make me dizzy and extremely sleepy. If you have sleep Apnea, be VERY cautious!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2015 12:42 AM

Review by Belinda36203 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I was prescribed Zanaflex for muscle spasms and to help me sleep. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, osteo/degenerative arthritis, sciatica, and an unspecified autoimmune disorder. It was prescribed as 3-4mg tablets at bedtime but that was too high a dose for me. Sometimes, I have the side effect of really low BP, although I have been taking HIGH BP meds for 5+ years. It doesn't happen all the time (when I take it) but it is very scary when it does happen. I have black outs, feel incredibly high, and can't hold my eyes open, at times. The blood pressure drops have happened, in the past, when I was not on Zanaflex, but this medication just seems to make it worse and I am not going to take it anymore. The side effects are too scary.

January 17, 2015 7:43 AM

Review by immarcie (taken for less than 1 month):

For Muscle Spasm: I was put on this medicine at the beginning of Nov., 4mg. eight hrs apart, for severe muscle spasms in my spine. Prior to that I'd been on Robaxin. So far, it only seems to last about 3 hrs in terms of relief/prevention of these spasms. I asked to change from the Robaxin since it didn't seem to be working after taking it for about 2 yrs and had read/seen a lot of good reviews on it. Unfortunately, my provider doesn't like to switch medicines so more than likely I'll end up just using my heating pad and ice packs for relief. I'm not getting any side effects from it but that's about the only good thing I can say thus far.

November 20, 2014 11:29 AM

Review by candy's beautiful smile (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I was prescribed this medication for muscle pain related to rheumatoid arthritis and chronic tendonitis. Personally I'm VERY sensitive to this medication and suffer the "rare: side effects slurred speech, hallucinations (only at night) disorientation (I've gotten lost in my own room twice when I take 4 mg) low heart rate. The highest dose I have taken is 8mg with Xanax for my anxiety, once I stayed awake although drowsy, I watched a movie; the second time I woke up in ICU for bradycardia, hypotension and change in level of consciousness. Despite talking this daily for 2 months, I still have side effects. My husband says this medicine makes me drunk. I have been taking 1mg at a time. It does work well.

November 18, 2014 6:04 PM

Review by Another surgery soon:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I've been on various pain meds and muscle relaxants for years. Soma was working till these past 6 months. I have severe Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Had Cervical Fusion in C5 & C in Jan 1st 2014, had Lumbar fusion in L5 & L4 about 5 years ago & now have Severe Herniated Disc's again at the L5 S1 region with nasty nerve pain radiating down Entire right leg to toes, along with Nasty Muscle Spasms & will be having another surgery soon. Been taking this for 3 days & doing great so far!

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 29, 2014 5:36 PM

Review by mjd7786:

For Muscle Spasm: Worked great when I first started meds, but slowly had to increase dosage for relief. I have Fibromyalgia. I take 12 to 16 mg at night. I have started having hallucinations, terrible nightmares. It causes really bad dry mouth. Doesn't help me sleep anymore. Will see if there is something else out there.

August 30, 2014 10:07 PM

Review by Punky 62:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: My mother had taken this for years for leg cramps. She started having hallucinations. She started by having a dream every night for about a month that involved the same people. When she woke up in the morning, her dreams had become reality for her. I finally convinced her to go off the medication and now no more problems. Her cardiologist suggested she go off the medication about 6 month before.

August 4, 2014 1:07 PM

Review by erraticatticat (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Muscle Spasm: I have excruciating muscle spasms in my back just on the left side and down my sciatic nerve in my left leg. I have been taking hydrocodone for quite a long time and it only barely did any good along with Flexeril. I finally found a neurologist and he took me off the Flexeril and gave me tizanadine in addition to gabapentin and the hydrocodone. It has been working really well in that I can now stand up long enough to cook dinner where, before, I had to sit down every few minutes just to be able to make a salad, let alone a whole meal. I can grocery shop for as long as it takes without having to go to the pharmacy area to sit and can again shop for clothing, household items and whatever I need for as long as I need. Anyone with hair loss?

August 3, 2014 12:44 AM

Review by Mp33:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I take this for my Spina Bifida. Helps so much!

July 31, 2014 12:18 AM

Review by Lilspark77:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: After a bad car accident I've been prescribed several medications all of which had side effects that made them not possible to function with. Zanaflex is great, it starts working in about an hour after ingestion, it does make me sleepy so I take it one hour before bed and have a wonderful sleep. I wake up with out any grogginess the next morning. The only reason I didn't rate it a 10 is that if I took it during the day I would be drowsy.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 19, 2014 12:37 AM

Review by singingtothewheat (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: Zanaflex was working well for my lower back which has been an issue since a car accident in Oct of 2013. This has progressed to a point where I am waiting for an M.R.I. During the last 3 months I have been dealing with spasms in my left leg that went from annoying and limiting my ability to move around slightly to full blown, unbelievably painful leg spasms. The medication is no longer working. I am going to call my doctor on Monday and ask about Soma since it seems to have a much better score when it comes to stopping spasms.

June 1, 2014 6:52 PM

Review by O.Lou (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I found this to be a wonderful muscle relaxant with very few, if any, negative side effects. It worked well for me during many bouts of chronic back pain that kept me awake at night. It did make me a little bit sleepy and dizzy, but nothing that bothered me very much at all. At night, this wasn't even a concern, but I could easily take it during the day at work and perform and feel fine. This isn't exactly a "pain" medication but I did find that it worked almost as well for my particular back pain as the narcotic medicines I was also prescribed.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 3, 2014 4:17 PM

Review by Ga boy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: Zanaflex works great to relieve my lower back pain. However, it seems to keep me awake instead of helping me sleep. I rest well but just do not fall asleep.

April 18, 2014 8:31 AM

Review by LAFS (taken for 10 years or more):

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I have Multiple Sclerosis and was excited to begin Zanaflex as soon as it was approved in 1996. I had studied it for quite some time as it was in use in 47 countries before the US. I Love it and have had great results to this day with it. I'm not sure if it is very well presented or explained to patients; however, this is a very unique skeletal muscle relaxant & it actually targets the actual nerves of the patient. When you begin treatment it is important to note that for the 1st 2-3 weeks it is taking effect in your system. Great medicine!

110 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 4, 2014 11:18 PM

Review by jokerswild5050:

For Muscle Spasm: My insurance company decided to stop paying for the medication I was on so my Doc is trying something else and that something else is is Tizanidine. I had hopes that it would work as I have several medical issues but unfortunately all that has happened is I have the worst case of dry... well I was going to say dry mouth but it's more like someone cut the top of my head & filled it up with sand. I have the worse case of dry head. I know it sounds funny but my eyes, nose & mouth are so dry. I can't remember a medication making me feel quite so dry. It isn't helping the muscle spasms at all but as a sleep aid it works pretty good.

February 21, 2014 9:03 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For : Worked like a dream until it began causing incontinence.

February 4, 2014 4:56 PM