User Reviews for Tizanidine

Also known as: Zanaflex

Learn more about Tizanidine.

Tizanidine Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Muscle Spasm.

Reviews for Tizanidine to treat Muscle Spasm

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "Well, I really am satisfied w/this medicine. I take it combo w/my pain medication. I was in a car accident two years ago and aside from the pain meds helping me w/pain, this is what actually allows the muscles themselves able to relax so I can sleep better. The one I really can't stand is 'flexeril". I don't what the deal is w/that because of anything, it makes ALL of my extremeties "jump"...like restless leg, but restless EVERYWHERE...(the legs too). The big problem is actually I got a new pain dr., but he only believes in one muscle relaxer and that's baclofen, which does ansolutely NOTHING. His intern told me that I could take two at a time, and still nothing. "

booltr2 January 31, 2016

"This does do nothing to me!! nothing!! I still have problems with the insomnia. It's not worth it ! I've taking the medicine for more than a year and nothing (tizanidine 4 mg...)"

monica022 January 23, 2016

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "I have been taking zanaflex for about 2 years. The best thing about this medicine is it helps me sleep and for me there is no grogginess in the morning. I'm totally alert. Not like with other muscle relaxants. However the medicine usually last about 3-4 hours so it's quite common to wake up in the middle of the night. I give it an 8 because it does work really well for me however I wish the effects would last a little longer to get a full nights rest and also because I can't take it in the day because it knocks me out.....cold."

MonkeyTech January 5, 2016

"My doctor gave this to me for I had to get off my melicam for a month. 3 days into taking this medication I have had the worst nightmares ever, things that you couldn't even imagine to the point that I thought dead people where in my house and I'm talking to myself and my husband getting mad because I'm talking and screaming very loud in my sleep. Heart rate is very high, dropped my blood pressure just from 3 days. I would take some serious precautions when taking this medication. And I still don't know if it works or not the dreams scared me so bad that I think I'm cured...."

Scared too death December 15, 2015

"I take the med for neck and back spasms... It works for me. The doctor prescribed it for 3xs a day. I definitely am glad he put me on it. Wonder drug"

Covergrl (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2015

"Don't seem to work for me . If it does it's very subtle."

ronmigy (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2015

"My doctor has just started me on Tizanidine. I can tell the difference already. I have already tried several different medicines for my lower back problems, but Tizanidine has eased the pain well enough for me to get to sleep at night and wake more rested in the morning."

Collettesense (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2015

"I developed a muscle spasm in my neck while taking Lamictal. Eventually the spasm did not go away---it turned into an incredibly painful condition Dystonia. The spasm has displaced my jaw and disabled me from being able to work. After developing problems with Flexeril and Cogentin, I was switched to Tizanidine. What a wonderful difference. Though the spasm or pain never stops, it reduced my involuntary movements to the point where they are not obvious, and the pain is also reduced. No bad side effect besides tiredness."

solovei (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 17, 2015

"My Pain Specialist prescribed this after multiple surgeries and diagnosis. I have the 4 mg table , but take 1 mg (the pills are scored into 1/4's) or more if needed. The 1 mg at bedtime helps to relax your muscles and you don't wait up exhausted. I have tried Soma, Flexeril, and Skelaxin the the past and Tizanidine works the best!"

Lavender Blue July 19, 2015

"4mg at nite.........super effective. Did not have to take zolpidem or klonopin which I use as cocktail for sleep. Prescribed for my sleep issues and lower pack pain, general. mark gentile"

tuffmate965 July 11, 2015

"I have been taking Tizanidine for about 8 months, having read about it in a medical publication. I have: Fibromyalgia caused by: A Chiari 1 malformation (no surgery), Adrenal Adenoma (excess Cortisol), Bilateral Peripheral Neuropathy, 6 damaged disks, Hiatal Hernia, Narrow Esophagus, Nervous/Acid Stomach, IBS (had), Severe Pain in upper leg muscles, tight hamstrings on legs (HAD/is effectively treated by medications), RLS, Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Sublaxity and Double Joints, POTS; vasoconstriction, Raynauds-like feet, see stars with hands over head, fluctuations in BP; Tizanadine taken at night, .2 mg dosage, will help me fall into a relaxing sleep with storybook type dreams. It compliments my other drugs well, IMO."

dcroc (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 14, 2015

"While the effects of the back were helpful, the toll it took on my liver was not good. I have many separate symptoms: nausea, pale stool, right upper quadrant pain, elevated LFT, feeling tired, and sweating."

SnowWhiteDoll (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2015

"I have been talking tizanidine for yrs,I have ms and all so 4 back surgeries, I have noticed lately when I take the meds about 10 to 15 minutes my feet go into spasm and the pain is intense, I take 8mg 3 times a day not sure what's happening with this med but something isn't working right."

joy19 May 5, 2015

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "I've been on these for about 8 years. They work good on low back pain, DJD and bulging disc on my neck. Along with other pain killers it works good, but don't drive while on them. They do make you sleepy fast and also they tend to lower your blood pressure and you will get dizzy standing up. You can get a good night sleep on them. I take one 4 mg 2 times a day."

egg plant (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 22, 2015

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I take 8 mg a day. 2 mg morning and noon and 4 mg in the evening. Effective in spasm relieve and perfect for the night, before that I was constantly tired, but unable to rest at night of discomfort and pain in the neck. Now I am alive during the day with some exceptions, an hour after I take 2 mg pill I feel sleepy if I am relaxed. But if I am outside or active sleepiness goes away. That is not applied for 4 mg, after this does I am out."

miga April 20, 2015

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "I take this along with Baclofen to try and calm the tone and muscle spasms. Since adding the Xanaflex my muscle spasms don't last as long. However they do still occur quite frequently."

NicoleLynn615 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2015

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "So far so good."

loripnyl April 16, 2015

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "I first was given Zanaflex about 14 years ago. I had had lower back surgery and some time later started taking it for muscle spasms, with me not playing with muscle relaxers, afraid of damaging my heart, because your heart is a muscle..therefore, I'm real careful with taking relaxants. I love it, it helps alot..and since I'm much older, I'm even more careful. But recently I was in a car accident and hurt my neck and my left shoulder, I was given robaxin which is a skeletal relaxer/ muscle relaxer..it really helps with this new pain. But, I'm not taking the zanaflex and the robin for now. I give zanaflex a ten. It works Great! Hope I was able to help someone."

dailey61 (taken for 10 years or more) March 30, 2015

"I have been in this med for years and while it helps, the side effects are awful. I hallucinate, sleep walk, carry on lucid conversations, eat (that's the worst one!) and by morning I'm in pain again. There has got to be something better than this! Even Soma was better but the lucid conversations, answering the phone and answering the door was something that couldn't continue either. I've been off of the tizanidine for 2 weeks now and all of the Side effects stopped but I can't take the pain!"

Ivygirl0 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 27, 2015

"It helps with my nerve pain but it does put me to sleep for a couple hours."

dallasann March 10, 2015

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "Prescribed after 4th lumbar fusion fail. Helps with sleeping in a painful condition"

Anonymous February 12, 2015

"I was prescribed Tizanidine 4mg mainly as a sleep aid but I also suffer from muscle spasm. I take one pill before bed time and in about half an hour I'm ready for bed. The problem? I'm way awake in 2 hours and need to take another pill. This goes on all night. If I take two at a time I start hallucinating, have weird dreams and I feel my heart beating faster (tachycardia). I continue to take it because two hours of sleep is better than being awake for 36 hours. I will, though, ask my doctor to let me try soma."

No Sleep For Me (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 8, 2015

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "Take this for Neck Spasms after surgery. Taking now for 2 years. Had major surgery. Do not think this is good for me, anyways. I can not stay awake when I take it, thus, I have to take it only at night, and cannot drive, and please do not drive if you take this medication as it, for me, puts me right out. Told 3 doctors this, they will not give me another med for neck spasms and cramps so I use it as I can. It helps, but does make me dizzy and extremely sleepy. If you have sleep Apnea, be VERY cautious!"

DrugExpert101 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2015

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "I was prescribed Zanaflex for muscle spasms and to help me sleep. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, osteo/degenerative arthritis, sciatica, and an unspecified autoimmune disorder. It was prescribed as 3-4mg tablets at bedtime but that was too high a dose for me. Sometimes, I have the side effect of really low BP, although I have been taking HIGH BP meds for 5+ years. It doesn't happen all the time (when I take it) but it is very scary when it does happen. I have black outs, feel incredibly high, and can't hold my eyes open, at times. The blood pressure drops have happened, in the past, when I was not on Zanaflex, but this medication just seems to make it worse and I am not going to take it anymore. The side effects are too scary."

Belinda36203 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 17, 2015

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was put on this medicine at the beginning of Nov., 4mg. eight hrs apart, for severe muscle spasms in my spine. Prior to that I'd been on Robaxin. So far, it only seems to last about 3 hrs in terms of relief/prevention of these spasms. I asked to change from the Robaxin since it didn't seem to be working after taking it for about 2 yrs and had read/seen a lot of good reviews on it. Unfortunately, my provider doesn't like to switch medicines so more than likely I'll end up just using my heating pad and ice packs for relief. I'm not getting any side effects from it but that's about the only good thing I can say thus far."

immarcie (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2014