User Reviews for Tizanidine

Also known as: Zanaflex

Learn more about Tizanidine.

Tizanidine Review Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 36 medications used in the treatment of Muscle Spasm.

Reviews for Tizanidine to treat Muscle Spasm

"I have been taking Tizanidine for about 8 months, having read about it in a medical publication. I have: Fibromyalgia caused by: A Chiari 1 malformation (no surgery), Adrenal Adenoma (excess Cortisol), Bilateral Peripheral Neuropathy, 6 damaged disks, Hiatal Hernia, Narrow Esophagus, Nervous/Acid Stomach, IBS (had), Severe Pain in upper leg muscles, tight hamstrings on legs (HAD/is effectively treated by medications), RLS, Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Sublaxity and Double Joints, POTS; vasoconstriction, Raynauds-like feet, see stars with hands over head, fluctuations in BP; Tizanadine taken at night, .2 mg dosage, will help me fall into a relaxing sleep with storybook type dreams. It compliments my other drugs well, IMO."

dcroc (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 14, 2015

"While the effects of the back were helpful, the toll it took on my liver was not good. I have many separate symptoms: nausea, pale stool, right upper quadrant pain, elevated LFT, feeling tired, and sweating."

SnowWhiteDoll (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2015

"I have been talking tizanidine for yrs,I have ms and all so 4 back surgeries, I have noticed lately when I take the meds about 10 to 15 minutes my feet go into spasm and the pain is intense, I take 8mg 3 times a day not sure what's happening with this med but something isn't working right."

joy19 May 5, 2015

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "I've been on these for about 8 years. They work good on low back pain, DJD and bulging disc on my neck. Along with other pain killers it works good, but don't drive while on them. They do make you sleepy fast and also they tend to lower your blood pressure and you will get dizzy standing up. You can get a good night sleep on them. I take one 4 mg 2 times a day."

egg plant (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 22, 2015

"I take 8 mg a day. 2 mg morning and noon and 4 mg in the evening. Effective in spasm relieve and perfect for the night, before that I was constantly tired, but unable to rest at night of discomfort and pain in the neck. Now I am alive during the day with some exceptions, an hour after I take 2 mg pill I feel sleepy if I am relaxed. But if I am outside or active sleepiness goes away. That is not applied for 4 mg, after this does I am out."

miga April 20, 2015

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "I take this along with Baclofen to try and calm the tone and muscle spasms. Since adding the Xanaflex my muscle spasms don't last as long. However they do still occur quite frequently."

NicoleLynn615 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2015

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "So far so good."

loripnyl April 16, 2015

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "I first was given Zanaflex about 14 years ago. I had had lower back surgery and some time later started taking it for muscle spasms, with me not playing with muscle relaxers, afraid of damaging my heart, because your heart is a muscle..therefore, I'm real careful with taking relaxants. I love it, it helps alot..and since I'm much older, I'm even more careful. But recently I was in a car accident and hurt my neck and my left shoulder, I was given robaxin which is a skeletal relaxer/ muscle relaxer..it really helps with this new pain. But, I'm not taking the zanaflex and the robin for now. I give zanaflex a ten. It works Great! Hope I was able to help someone."

dailey61 (taken for 10 years or more) March 30, 2015

"I have been in this med for years and while it helps, the side effects are awful. I hallucinate, sleep walk, carry on lucid conversations, eat (that's the worst one!) and by morning I'm in pain again. There has got to be something better than this! Even Soma was better but the lucid conversations, answering the phone and answering the door was something that couldn't continue either. I've been off of the tizanidine for 2 weeks now and all of the Side effects stopped but I can't take the pain!"

Ivygirl0 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 27, 2015

"It helps with my nerve pain but it does put me to sleep for a couple hours."

dallasann March 10, 2015

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "Prescribed after 4th lumbar fusion fail. Helps with sleeping in a painful condition"

Anonymous February 12, 2015

"I was prescribed Tizanidine 4mg mainly as a sleep aid but I also suffer from muscle spasm. I take one pill before bed time and in about half an hour I'm ready for bed. The problem? I'm way awake in 2 hours and need to take another pill. This goes on all night. If I take two at a time I start hallucinating, have weird dreams and I feel my heart beating faster (tachycardia). I continue to take it because two hours of sleep is better than being awake for 36 hours. I will, though, ask my doctor to let me try soma."

No Sleep For Me (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 8, 2015

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "Take this for Neck Spasms after surgery. Taking now for 2 years. Had major surgery. Do not think this is good for me, anyways. I can not stay awake when I take it, thus, I have to take it only at night, and cannot drive, and please do not drive if you take this medication as it, for me, puts me right out. Told 3 doctors this, they will not give me another med for neck spasms and cramps so I use it as I can. It helps, but does make me dizzy and extremely sleepy. If you have sleep Apnea, be VERY cautious!"

DrugExpert101 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2015

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "I was prescribed Zanaflex for muscle spasms and to help me sleep. I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, osteo/degenerative arthritis, sciatica, and an unspecified autoimmune disorder. It was prescribed as 3-4mg tablets at bedtime but that was too high a dose for me. Sometimes, I have the side effect of really low BP, although I have been taking HIGH BP meds for 5+ years. It doesn't happen all the time (when I take it) but it is very scary when it does happen. I have black outs, feel incredibly high, and can't hold my eyes open, at times. The blood pressure drops have happened, in the past, when I was not on Zanaflex, but this medication just seems to make it worse and I am not going to take it anymore. The side effects are too scary."

Belinda36203 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 17, 2015

"I was put on this medicine at the beginning of Nov., 4mg. eight hrs apart, for severe muscle spasms in my spine. Prior to that I'd been on Robaxin. So far, it only seems to last about 3 hrs in terms of relief/prevention of these spasms. I asked to change from the Robaxin since it didn't seem to be working after taking it for about 2 yrs and had read/seen a lot of good reviews on it. Unfortunately, my provider doesn't like to switch medicines so more than likely I'll end up just using my heating pad and ice packs for relief. I'm not getting any side effects from it but that's about the only good thing I can say thus far."

immarcie (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2014

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "I was prescribed this medication for muscle pain related to rheumatoid arthritis and chronic tendonitis. Personally I'm VERY sensitive to this medication and suffer the "rare: side effects slurred speech, hallucinations (only at night) disorientation (I've gotten lost in my own room twice when I take 4 mg) low heart rate. The highest dose I have taken is 8mg with Xanax for my anxiety, once I stayed awake although drowsy, I watched a movie; the second time I woke up in ICU for bradycardia, hypotension and change in level of consciousness. Despite talking this daily for 2 months, I still have side effects. My husband says this medicine makes me drunk. I have been taking 1mg at a time. It does work well."

candy's beautiful smile (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2014

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "I've been on various pain meds and muscle relaxants for years. Soma was working till these past 6 months. I have severe Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, Had Cervical Fusion in C5 & C in Jan 1st 2014, had Lumbar fusion in L5 & L4 about 5 years ago & now have Severe Herniated Disc's again at the L5 S1 region with nasty nerve pain radiating down Entire right leg to toes, along with Nasty Muscle Spasms & will be having another surgery soon. Been taking this for 3 days & doing great so far!"

Another surgery soon October 29, 2014

"Worked great when I first started meds, but slowly had to increase dosage for relief. I have Fibromyalgia. I take 12 to 16 mg at night. I have started having hallucinations, terrible nightmares. It causes really bad dry mouth. Doesn't help me sleep anymore. Will see if there is something else out there."

mjd7786 August 30, 2014

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "My mother had taken this for years for leg cramps. She started having hallucinations. She started by having a dream every night for about a month that involved the same people. When she woke up in the morning, her dreams had become reality for her. I finally convinced her to go off the medication and now no more problems. Her cardiologist suggested she go off the medication about 6 month before."

Punky 62 August 4, 2014

"I have excruciating muscle spasms in my back just on the left side and down my sciatic nerve in my left leg. I have been taking hydrocodone for quite a long time and it only barely did any good along with Flexeril. I finally found a neurologist and he took me off the Flexeril and gave me tizanadine in addition to gabapentin and the hydrocodone. It has been working really well in that I can now stand up long enough to cook dinner where, before, I had to sit down every few minutes just to be able to make a salad, let alone a whole meal. I can grocery shop for as long as it takes without having to go to the pharmacy area to sit and can again shop for clothing, household items and whatever I need for as long as I need. Anyone with hair loss?"

erraticatticat (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 3, 2014

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "I take this for my Spina Bifida. Helps so much!"

Mp33 July 31, 2014

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "After a bad car accident I've been prescribed several medications all of which had side effects that made them not possible to function with. Zanaflex is great, it starts working in about an hour after ingestion, it does make me sleepy so I take it one hour before bed and have a wonderful sleep. I wake up with out any grogginess the next morning. The only reason I didn't rate it a 10 is that if I took it during the day I would be drowsy."

Lilspark77 July 19, 2014

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "Zanaflex was working well for my lower back which has been an issue since a car accident in Oct of 2013. This has progressed to a point where I am waiting for an M.R.I. During the last 3 months I have been dealing with spasms in my left leg that went from annoying and limiting my ability to move around slightly to full blown, unbelievably painful leg spasms. The medication is no longer working. I am going to call my doctor on Monday and ask about Soma since it seems to have a much better score when it comes to stopping spasms."

singingtothewheat (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2014

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "I found this to be a wonderful muscle relaxant with very few, if any, negative side effects. It worked well for me during many bouts of chronic back pain that kept me awake at night. It did make me a little bit sleepy and dizzy, but nothing that bothered me very much at all. At night, this wasn't even a concern, but I could easily take it during the day at work and perform and feel fine. This isn't exactly a "pain" medication but I did find that it worked almost as well for my particular back pain as the narcotic medicines I was also prescribed."

O.Lou (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 3, 2014

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "Zanaflex works great to relieve my lower back pain. However, it seems to keep me awake instead of helping me sleep. I rest well but just do not fall asleep."

Ga boy (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2014