User Reviews for Tizanidine

Also known as: Zanaflex

Learn more about Tizanidine.

Tizanidine review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 38 medications used in the treatment of Muscle Spasm.

Reviews for Tizanidine to treat Muscle Spasm

Review by Punky 62:

Zanaflex (tizanidine): My mother had taken this for years for leg cramps. She started having hallucinations. She started by having a dream every night for about a month that involved the same people. When she woke up in the morning, her dreams had become reality for her. I finally convinced her to go off the medication and now no more problems. Her cardiologist suggested she go off the medication about 6 month before.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 4, 2014 1:07 PM

Review by erraticatticat (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have excruciating muscle spasms in my back just on the left side and down my sciatic nerve in my left leg. I have been taking hydrocodone for quite a long time and it only barely did any good along with Flexeril. I finally found a neurologist and he took me off the Flexeril and gave me tizanadine in addition to gabapentin and the hydrocodone. It has been working really well in that I can now stand up long enough to cook dinner where, before, I had to sit down every few minutes just to be able to make a salad, let alone a whole meal. I can grocery shop for as long as it takes without having to go to the pharmacy area to sit and can again shop for clothing, household items and whatever I need for as long as I need. Anyone with hair loss?

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 3, 2014 12:44 AM

Review by Mp33:

Zanaflex (tizanidine): I take this for my Spina Bifida. Helps so much!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2014 12:18 AM

Review by Lilspark77:

Zanaflex (tizanidine): After a bad car accident I've been prescribed several medications all of which had side effects that made them not possible to function with. Zanaflex is great, it starts working in about an hour after ingestion, it does make me sleepy so I take it one hour before bed and have a wonderful sleep. I wake up with out any grogginess the next morning. The only reason I didn't rate it a 10 is that if I took it during the day I would be drowsy.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 19, 2014 12:37 AM

Review by singingtothewheat (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zanaflex (tizanidine): Zanaflex was working well for my lower back which has been an issue since a car accident in Oct of 2013. This has progressed to a point where I am waiting for an M.R.I. During the last 3 months I have been dealing with spasms in my left leg that went from annoying and limiting my ability to move around slightly to full blown, unbelievably painful leg spasms. The medication is no longer working. I am going to call my doctor on Monday and ask about Soma since it seems to have a much better score when it comes to stopping spasms.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 1, 2014 6:52 PM

Review by O.Lou (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zanaflex (tizanidine): I found this to be a wonderful muscle relaxant with very few, if any, negative side effects. It worked well for me during many bouts of chronic back pain that kept me awake at night. It did make me a little bit sleepy and dizzy, but nothing that bothered me very much at all. At night, this wasn't even a concern, but I could easily take it during the day at work and perform and feel fine. This isn't exactly a "pain" medication but I did find that it worked almost as well for my particular back pain as the narcotic medicines I was also prescribed.

May 3, 2014 4:17 PM

Review by Ga boy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zanaflex (tizanidine): Zanaflex works great to relieve my lower back pain. However, it seems to keep me awake instead of helping me sleep. I rest well but just do not fall asleep.

April 18, 2014 8:31 AM

Review by LAFS (taken for 10 years or more):

Zanaflex (tizanidine): I have Multiple Sclerosis and was excited to begin Zanaflex as soon as it was approved in 1996. I had studied it for quite some time as it was in use in 47 countries before the US. I Love it and have had great results to this day with it. I'm not sure if it is very well presented or explained to patients; however, this is a very unique skeletal muscle relaxant & it actually targets the actual nerves of the patient. When you begin treatment it is important to note that for the 1st 2-3 weeks it is taking effect in your system. Great medicine!

April 4, 2014 11:18 PM

Review by jokerswild5050:

My insurance company decided to stop paying for the medication I was on so my Doc is trying something else and that something else is is Tizanidine. I had hopes that it would work as I have several medical issues but unfortunately all that has happened is I have the worst case of dry... well I was going to say dry mouth but it's more like someone cut the top of my head & filled it up with sand. I have the worse case of dry head. I know it sounds funny but my eyes, nose & mouth are so dry. I can't remember a medication making me feel quite so dry. It isn't helping the muscle spasms at all but as a sleep aid it works pretty good.

February 21, 2014 9:03 PM

Review by backitis (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zanaflex (tizanidine): This medication caused my blood pressure to drop but did not relieve the muscle spasms in my back.

November 20, 2013 12:50 PM

Review by CerebralPalsyChick:

Zanaflex (tizanidine): This medicine helps me sleep but that's the best i can say about it. It doesn't relieve pain or help relax my spastisity. If your pain and problems are only at night this is good for you. I hallucinate a lot once I adjusted to the dose it changed but if I ever have to take more than usual then I start to hear and see things......I had conversations with my husband in the middle of the night when he wasn't there. And many other accounts. I would suggest you use caution. I have a very high level of muscle pain for many reasons and I'm very spastic so its not a surprise that Zanaflex doesn't work as well as I'd like for me. I will continue to take it while i explore other options. It isn't a bad medication.

November 1, 2013 12:15 PM

Review by Chitown-Di (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've had several lower back issues for the majority of my life including surgery. I used to take Flexeril but didn't like the way it made me feel. I told my doc and he switched me to Zanaflex. It has been a God send especially when it comes to sleep. I used to take Ambien but has severe side effects including a dangerous sleepwalking episode. I have replaced Flexeril and Ambien with Zanaflex with incredible results. I take it before bed and am able to get a great nights rest without that horrible "drunk"/drowsy feeling when I get up. The only drawback is I do get very tired approximately 30 min after taking it so I don't use it during the day.

October 15, 2013 8:44 AM

Review by southernbeauty (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zanaflex (tizanidine): Zanaflex has really helped me. I had major hip surgery last year and have had a very difficult time bouncing back. After the surgery I became very weak, lost significant amounts of muscle definition and tone, which resulted in a weakened lower back and core. I now live in excruciating pain, my L5 & S1 has completely compressed with my sciatic nerve in the middle. I have extreme nerve pain, and hypersensitivity down my right leg. Daily chores are very difficult, and my love for fitness now feels like a daunting chore. My doctor switched me from Soma to Zanaflex. At first I didn't like it because it made me extremely drowsy and would knock me out. Now I am used to the side effects and can honestly say that this medication is the best muscle relaxer I have ever taken. It reduces back pain, loosens up the tightness, and compliments my oxycodone very nicely. I can finally "function" again, and exercise, lift weights, and do my daily duties as a house wife & mother.

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2013 10:14 AM

Review by tunatea:

Zanaflex (tizanidine): This has served duty as a sleep aid and muscle relaxer. I seemed to never get sleep until I tried this. My neck pain is much better. Only bad note is I'm a little more tired but it's worth it for the pay offs.

September 21, 2013 9:28 AM

Review by Lower and mid back pain (taken for 2 to 5 years):

My GP prescribed this for neck cramps from sitting in front a PC monitor so much. Works great for that. However, it also works wonders for my lower and mid back pains, aches and spasms. I take 2 mg a couple times during the day and 4 mg about 30 minutes before bed. If I am having really bad back pain, I'll take 4 mg 3-4 times during the day. I do have some pretty vivid dreams, some bizarre, but few horrid dreams. Overall this is wonderful medicine for my ailments!

September 18, 2013 6:31 PM

Review by txnbgfan (taken for less than 1 month):

The doctor put me on this medicine a couple of weeks ago. They seem to help with my muscle tightness in my back, but makes me very sleepy so I can't really take during the day. I take it about 30 mins to a hr before bed and sleep good, but they give me very disturbing, scary dreams. I thought maybe it was from the other medicines I take, but apparently I'm not the only one who has bad dreams when taken.

September 17, 2013 2:08 PM

Review by mamawpudy (taken for less than 1 month):

I have only taken this for 2 nights. I am a zombie, and it is now 4:30 am and I just awoke from the most disturbing dream I've ever had.

May 31, 2013 5:29 AM

Review by ignaciagirl (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been tizanidine for about a month now and it does help me with muscle spasms..The biggest drawback is that I feel extremely tired during the day..almost like a hangover.

May 28, 2013 11:25 PM

Review by All Here (taken for less than 1 month):

This medicine is working okay on a daily basis for my symptoms. Does not cause nausa or extreme dizziness, but will make you sleepy.

May 11, 2013 3:49 PM

Review by joyce (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Zanaflex (tizanidine): I have chronic pain from several herniated discs and spinal stenosis. I also have fibromyalgia. I began taking Zanaflex last month and the relief is wonderful. I no longer hurt and spasm all night and now I can sleep instead. I take 4mg tabs 2 at bedtime and go immediately to bed as it makes me drowsy right away and I become dizzy if I stay up. I wake up rested with no hangover at all and feel good the next day. I take narcotics during the day for pain relief and the addition of this to my regimen is great. I love it.

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 2, 2013 1:16 PM

Review by redbaggirl/47 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

This medication only dries me out and seems to make my spasms worse. I somehow feel this is related.

April 17, 2013 3:42 PM

Review by crazy1679:

Zanaflex (tizanidine): This medicine helped for fibromyalgia but caused hallucinations and fatigue.

February 18, 2013 12:57 AM

Review by dhbwms:

Zanaflex (tizanidine): I have had very positive results with this medicine. I have MS and this help reduce problems.

January 27, 2013 3:04 AM

Review by OrdO (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Zanaflex (tizanidine): I found that this medicine managed the muscle spasms associated with the three herniated discs in the lumbar region of my back

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 1, 2013 8:28 PM

Since taking this, I've noticed that I do not have to take as much of my prescribed pain medication. Does cause drowsiness and do not recommend driving while on this medication. For my condition it has helped improve my quality of life until I get my surgery.

December 3, 2012 3:40 PM