User Reviews for Tizanidine

Also known as: Zanaflex

Learn more about Tizanidine.

Tizanidine Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 48 medications used in the treatment of Muscle Spasm.

Reviews for Tizanidine to treat Muscle Spasm

"I've had chronic pain for decades. I have 6mg, taking 2 for sleep, also with pain medication as needed. I do drink a large amount of water. But you should when your forced to take medication. It does work sometimes, but on real bad nights, I'm up walking about, doing chores, anything to get through the pain. I do notice sometimes I'm a tad groggy, but nothing compared to what people are saying here. I did try it at first during the day, as a way to hopefully limit my pain levels.. It did nothing for me. Have to be in bed resting IF it's going to work. I'm pretty much half and half on this. Sometimes it does, or not. I also do not take it nightly, on average 2-3 nights per week if I have had a few sleepless / painful nights."

Painisfun (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 29, 2016

"I have been on tizandine 12mg daily for several years for severe cervical, lumbar, & sacral spasms. It is fair at controlling muscle spasms . I am sure my body has adjusted to the meds but my pain doctor will not prescribe dosages higher than what I am taking."

in pain long time (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 6, 2016

"I found this to work fairly well, but wake up with a headache next morn. I know its the Tiz. because I never get headaches and it happens every time I take one."

jhapp April 12, 2016

"Just started, no adverse effects as of yet."

Etta R. March 27, 2016

"Who in there right mind would even want to take or prescribe this medication?! It interacts with dang near everything! The reviews say it's a great sleep aid, but can't take it during the day. I just spent 13 days by my sister's hospital bed after she was found clinically dead. By the grace of God, she was in a bathtub, and hypothermia saved her. When they found her, she had a temp of 90"

Pissed sister (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

"USELESS did not seem to help. Muscle cramps in my ribs are still painful."

LYdda (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 19, 2016

"I use this for neck spams and fibromyalgia. I was originally prescribed 4 mgs. twice daily, but found out quickly that taking it during the day made me feel like passing out and I couldn't walk without falling; plus, if I took it and couldn't nap, I felt AWFUL. So, now (per my doctor's orders), I take 8 mgs. only at bed and it relaxes me enough that I'm out like a light within 45 minutes. I do find that I wake myself up yelling at someone I was fighting with in a dream! Scares the bejeezus out of my cat! Lol. It really helps me sleep---which has been an issue for years, because of the pain."

Shahkkc (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 18, 2016

"Works excellent for sleep. I have chronic neck pain and I am allowed to take this 4 times a day 4mg....however It knocks me out and makes me very dizzy and just off. So unless I'm really hurting or have time for a nap I only take it at night."

beanhead2010 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 13, 2016

"Life saver!!!! This muscle relaxer is beyond amazing!!!! I take 4mg at bed time and within 45 minutes I'm feeling complete relief and fall asleep!!! I don't take a full pull during the day because I literally can't walk straight or fully function after taking a full dose. Works awesome for a sleep aid too!"

anitsirhc1111 February 8, 2016

"I have chronic pelvic pain of unknown origin. This medication reliably relaxes me and knocks me out enough to sleep. It also sedates me enough to have conversations I don't recall and to pass out mid-sentence. Needless to add, perhaps, I do not take it during the daytime. Like many users, it tends to wear off after about 4 hours and I find an additional dose doesn't promote longer sleep. The sleep I do get is so good that I can put up with the short duration. I am taking the 4mg tablet. A time release formulation would be ideal, I think."

Catewms February 5, 2016

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "Well, I really am satisfied w/this medicine. I take it combo w/my pain medication. I was in a car accident two years ago and aside from the pain meds helping me w/pain, this is what actually allows the muscles themselves able to relax so I can sleep better. The one I really can't stand is 'flexeril". I don't what the deal is w/that because of anything, it makes ALL of my extremeties "jump"...like restless leg, but restless EVERYWHERE...(the legs too). The big problem is actually I got a new pain dr., but he only believes in one muscle relaxer and that's baclofen, which does ansolutely NOTHING. His intern told me that I could take two at a time, and still nothing. "

booltr2 January 31, 2016

"This does do nothing to me!! nothing!! I still have problems with the insomnia. It's not worth it ! I've taking the medicine for more than a year and nothing (tizanidine 4 mg...)"

monica022 January 23, 2016

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "I have been taking zanaflex for about 2 years. The best thing about this medicine is it helps me sleep and for me there is no grogginess in the morning. I'm totally alert. Not like with other muscle relaxants. However the medicine usually last about 3-4 hours so it's quite common to wake up in the middle of the night. I give it an 8 because it does work really well for me however I wish the effects would last a little longer to get a full nights rest and also because I can't take it in the day because it knocks me out.....cold."

MonkeyTech January 5, 2016

"My doctor gave this to me for I had to get off my melicam for a month. 3 days into taking this medication I have had the worst nightmares ever, things that you couldn't even imagine to the point that I thought dead people where in my house and I'm talking to myself and my husband getting mad because I'm talking and screaming very loud in my sleep. Heart rate is very high, dropped my blood pressure just from 3 days. I would take some serious precautions when taking this medication. And I still don't know if it works or not the dreams scared me so bad that I think I'm cured...."

Scared too death December 15, 2015

"I take the med for neck and back spasms... It works for me. The doctor prescribed it for 3xs a day. I definitely am glad he put me on it. Wonder drug"

Covergrl (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2015

"Don't seem to work for me . If it does it's very subtle."

ronmigy (taken for less than 1 month) October 22, 2015

"My doctor has just started me on Tizanidine. I can tell the difference already. I have already tried several different medicines for my lower back problems, but Tizanidine has eased the pain well enough for me to get to sleep at night and wake more rested in the morning."

Collettesense (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2015

"I developed a muscle spasm in my neck while taking Lamictal. Eventually the spasm did not go away---it turned into an incredibly painful condition Dystonia. The spasm has displaced my jaw and disabled me from being able to work. After developing problems with Flexeril and Cogentin, I was switched to Tizanidine. What a wonderful difference. Though the spasm or pain never stops, it reduced my involuntary movements to the point where they are not obvious, and the pain is also reduced. No bad side effect besides tiredness."

solovei (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 17, 2015

"My Pain Specialist prescribed this after multiple surgeries and diagnosis. I have the 4 mg table , but take 1 mg (the pills are scored into 1/4's) or more if needed. The 1 mg at bedtime helps to relax your muscles and you don't wait up exhausted. I have tried Soma, Flexeril, and Skelaxin the the past and Tizanidine works the best!"

Lavender Blue July 19, 2015

"4mg at nite.........super effective. Did not have to take zolpidem or klonopin which I use as cocktail for sleep. Prescribed for my sleep issues and lower pack pain, general. mark gentile"

tuffmate965 July 11, 2015

"I have been taking Tizanidine for about 8 months, having read about it in a medical publication. I have: Fibromyalgia caused by: A Chiari 1 malformation (no surgery), Adrenal Adenoma (excess Cortisol), Bilateral Peripheral Neuropathy, 6 damaged disks, Hiatal Hernia, Narrow Esophagus, Nervous/Acid Stomach, IBS (had), Severe Pain in upper leg muscles, tight hamstrings on legs (HAD/is effectively treated by medications), RLS, Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Sublaxity and Double Joints, POTS; vasoconstriction, Raynauds-like feet, see stars with hands over head, fluctuations in BP; Tizanadine taken at night, .2 mg dosage, will help me fall into a relaxing sleep with storybook type dreams. It compliments my other drugs well, IMO."

dcroc (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 14, 2015

"While the effects of the back were helpful, the toll it took on my liver was not good. I have many separate symptoms: nausea, pale stool, right upper quadrant pain, elevated LFT, feeling tired, and sweating."

SnowWhiteDoll (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 21, 2015

"I have been talking tizanidine for yrs,I have ms and all so 4 back surgeries, I have noticed lately when I take the meds about 10 to 15 minutes my feet go into spasm and the pain is intense, I take 8mg 3 times a day not sure what's happening with this med but something isn't working right."

joy19 May 5, 2015

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "I've been on these for about 8 years. They work good on low back pain, DJD and bulging disc on my neck. Along with other pain killers it works good, but don't drive while on them. They do make you sleepy fast and also they tend to lower your blood pressure and you will get dizzy standing up. You can get a good night sleep on them. I take one 4 mg 2 times a day."

egg plant (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 22, 2015

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I take 8 mg a day. 2 mg morning and noon and 4 mg in the evening. Effective in spasm relieve and perfect for the night, before that I was constantly tired, but unable to rest at night of discomfort and pain in the neck. Now I am alive during the day with some exceptions, an hour after I take 2 mg pill I feel sleepy if I am relaxed. But if I am outside or active sleepiness goes away. That is not applied for 4 mg, after this does I am out."

miga April 20, 2015