User Reviews for Tizanidine

Also known as: Zanaflex

Learn more about Tizanidine.

Muscle Spasm 94 reviews 55 medications

7.5
Cluster Headaches 10 reviews 35 medications

6.9
Summary of Tizanidine reviews 104 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Tizanidine

Review by brianaa:

For Muscle Spasm: Soma worked great then that doctor would not take my insurance. So got another doctor and he would only give me Flexeril or baclofen and both absolutely do nothing. I have a herniated disc and get muscle spasms in low back and buttocks they are hard as rock. This medicine with Vicodin does help but it does make you very sleepy and dizzy so be careful driving.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 23, 2011 9:04 PM

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: My Doctor prescribed me this medication due to the fact I could not sleep at night. He warned me that I would have vivid dreams, but I haven't really. I really like this medication as I can sleep through the night for the first time in years. The only draw back is that it knocks me out cold, and the next morning I am really stiff from not tossing and turning all night. I can live with that.

December 21, 2010 2:51 PM

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I have disc disease. I take 4mg only at night. Knocks me out. This is the only medicine that has helped with my pain and my muscle spasms. I sleep well all night and lasts through until next day. Only been taking it for 3 days. Finally found a good muscle relaxer. Only side effect I have noticed is dry mouth. I think it is great.

November 5, 2010 8:23 PM

Review by Georgiagirl5:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I have been using Zanaflex since 2003. I suffer from chronic pain and spasms due to herniated discs in neck and back. I have already had fusion done on neck and the pain and spasms never went away, that was due to the discs below the fusion herniated just after the surgery *over compensated for the discs above* I also have fibromyalgia, I am supposed to take 4mgs 3 times a day but only take it at night since it makes me sleepy most of the time and I am already on Percocet and Savella. I need to function during the day. Doctor says I can take all 3 at bedtime if I wanted but have only taken 2 at a time. Dry mouth is a side effect and sometimes I will have the grogginess in the morning but found that it is mostly due to taking it so late and getting up early.

October 22, 2010 4:19 AM

Review by serve ickle:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: MRI reveals badly blown out cervical disc @ c4-5. Now, as long as I didn't do much, I wouldn't have much pain but getting anything done (like yardwork, working out with pushups, painting a wall...etc) was another story and would leave me in severe pain but always THE NEXT DAY and for at least several days afterward (I never really felt the pain on the day of the activity). Then, my doctor gave me Zanaflex, and now I take one 4 mg tab that night, the next day is pain free! I haven't noticed any side effects, no next day grogginess and even the quality of sleep is normal with pleasant dreaming; in fact, if anything my dreams are slightly easier to remember which shows plenty of REM.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2010 11:32 AM

Review by Karma51:

For Cluster Headaches: This medication is very sedating for me. I cannot take so much as 1 mg during the day unless I want a nap. I take 4 mg at night and get about 4 hours of deep sleep. Then I wake up and the rest of the night is restless with very vivid dreams. If I take more, I get leg/foot cramps. When I tried to taper off of it, I got some intense jaw pain that I had never experienced before. I believe it helps my daily headaches somewhat by working on muscle tension and jaw clenching at night, however I do believe there is some addictive property such that coming off of it can be difficult due to increased muscle tension. The leg cramp side effect seems to be really rare, and not all people find it so sedating.

September 13, 2010 10:28 AM

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: Zanaflex considerably reduced my back pain, headaches, muscle spasms, mandibular stress-related spasms and overall pain associated with spasticity due to neuromuscular condition. I take 2mg as I am small framed and thin person. I take it at bedtime to offset the 2 hour tiredness effect following ingestion. It works well for me.

August 21, 2010 11:25 PM

Review by psk:

For Muscle Spasm: I was prescribed this medicine for severe neck spasms which keep me up at night. I also have chronic insomnia. My initial dose is 4 mg at bedtime, 2 mg during the day as needed. I have been taking it for 2 weeks. Last night was the last dose I'll ever take! While it does seem to relax my neck, I am up every couple hours to urinate, then my throat is so dry, I have to drink more water. Because of the insomnia, it takes forever just to get back to sleep. No sooner do I manage that, then I have to get up to pee AGAIN.

August 19, 2010 8:11 AM

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Cluster Headaches: I have been taking Zanaflex and Desipramine for my daily headaches for about 1 1/2 years. They have greatly decreased the number of headaches and I am very thankful for the relief. I do experience dry mouth and frequent urination but I can live with that. Much easier than the horrible headaches I was experiencing daily.

April 20, 2010 12:39 PM

Review by Chronic Pain in KC:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I have been living with chronic neck, back and migraine pain for several years now. In the beginning, my doctors had me go to physical therapy, take ibuprofen, or aspirin. None of these things ever really helped. After trying Flexeril and numerous anti-inflammatories, my pain management doctor did an MRI and found that among the many tension knots and twisting of my spine, I had bulging disks in my neck. He gave me Zanaflex to take at night. It knocks me out within 20 minutes but helps relax my back and neck so that I can get restful sleep - been on it for 3 months now! I highly recommend it for continuous back pain and it's even helped with my migraines. Be ready for bed though - very powerful!

April 14, 2010 3:47 PM

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I have MS and was having terrible spasms at night. Since taking this medicine I feel much better.

February 6, 2010 8:42 PM

Review by OPTIONAL:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for : I do agree this medicine is good but I have stumbled upon a problem. I started taking this medicine about 6 years ago for leg cramps. I am diabetic and it was very difficult for me to sleep. So, I started on the 4mg 3x daily. I could not take it and work in the daytime so I only took it at night. ER physician said to up the dosage amount of this drug to 2 tablets 3 x a day. So, through the years to keep from hurting the dosage has been increased and now taking 4 at night. When I try not to take them my heart races and blood pressure is sky high. I ran a normal low but without this drug my heart goes crazy.

January 31, 2010 2:15 PM

Review by Sberkley43:

For Muscle Spasm: I was prescribed Zanaflex 4mg after my acl reconstruction. My doctor advised me to take the medication when or if I had spasms in my leg. Shortly after surgery I had spasms and I took Zanaflex. Within 30 mins after taking it, my spasms went away. Now I am taking it about every 4 hours and I have not had any spasms. The medicine did make my mouth dry but i would much rather have dry mouth than leg spasms. All in all, this drug is awesome!!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 20, 2009 9:35 AM

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: Am having the runny nose, flu like symptoms, frequent urination and horrible diarrhea. This is the only change that has taken place. I left Flexeril and changed to this.

December 5, 2009 2:25 PM

For Muscle Spasm: This is good, really helps with the pain. But makes me tired.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2009 1:59 AM

For Muscle Spasm: Have been on Flexerill for the last 18 months. Doctor decided it was time for a change in my medicines. Put me on Tizanidine for muscle spasm and tension headaches due to disc protrusion at C7-C8. Had some side effects coming off of the Flexerill. But since this medicine hasn't worked I'm ready to go back to the Flexerill.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2009 4:33 PM

Review by neeleymountain:

For Muscle Spasm: I would have given this a 10 rating, it is so effective, but it drops my blood pressure severely. For me that's not exactly a problem because I have such a high BP but it is a caution for someone who does not. Now I am in the process of trying to establish how much and how often to take it to be safe with the blood pressure and not knowing if I can actually take true blood pressure medicines or not while on this. The doctor prescribed 4mg four times a day but I had to start with 1mg once a day and work up because of feeling "drunk" and the blood pressure problem. Both are changing as I adjust so I don't know what the final dose/times will be. As for pain I think this is so much better than Soma. Enough so that I am more than willing to work out the adjustments.

November 7, 2009 1:32 PM

For Muscle Spasm: Spasms are pretty well kept at bay if taken 3 x day. Refill has expired so I will see if they're still needed. No drowsiness whatsoever. If taken with 4 mg Dilaudid, and Darvocet, and xanax.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 3, 2009 3:18 PM

Review by kalopa.lady:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I have used this medicine along with narcotic pain killers for a cervical disc protrusion. When I weaned off the pain killers, the Zanaflex really helped with the withdrawal symptoms (RLS, anxiety, sleeplessness) I was experiencing. This medicine still helps with the muscle spasms I get and it doesn't make me tired either, probably due to the high tolerance levels I have from years of abuse, however it really saved me during the Norco withdrawals - and have been off all narcotics for a few months now.

178 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 27, 2009 4:56 PM

For Muscle Spasm: I've been taking Tizanidine tablets (4mg) every 4 hours when required for the past three months after failed laminectomy surgery. I've been taking them along with various other pain medicines (Norco, Lyrica and Neurontin) and so it's difficult to report on the efficacy. But, I do feel relief when I wake around midnight and take that Tizanidine tablet that is always by my bedside. Dry mouth and drowsiness might be a problem but since all the other medicines cause the same sort of symptoms it is hard to say. When it came time to refill my second prescription I debated whether I should or not for a few days and an increase in discomfort made me opt for the refill. I'm glad I did.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 22, 2009 8:41 AM

Review by RSDer:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I take this as an additional medicine for pain control and the deep tissue pain associated with Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. The medicine is beneficial in helping the efficacy of the pain medicines taken.

October 18, 2009 10:51 PM

Review by breekee:

For Muscle Spasm: I got this medicine to help with spasms which it did, helps me "shut down" at the end of the day too. I do have a few hallucinations with it before I fall asleep and seem to have increased bad dreams, also dry mouth but I do think the benefit really outweighs the side effects.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2009 12:38 AM

Review by MiKe BiC:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I had been having muscle spasms the Zanaflex helped. I suffer from real bad insomnia; I have been unable to find a medicine that would work for me and once prescribed Zanaflex I have been able to sleep every night as long as I have them. So if anyone else suffers from insomnia maybe they could try Zanaflex, it really helps.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2009 8:27 PM

Review by MichXelle:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I was given Zanaflex 6 years ago to help me sleep. The rheumatologist claimed my diagnosis of Fibromyalgia required straight sleep. He forget to do radiographs for arthritis. It works well, I would never recommend taking it during the day though. I don't react to medications well, I did to Zanaflex. It makes me groggy and I would never do anything that needed full attention taking it. I take it at night only for sleep. It's a good medication but be careful if you go on Cipro or Levaquin (antibiotics). In 2007 they found a problem with the combination, you must come off Zanaflex while taking those and a few other antibiotics. Speak to your pharmacist but usually insurance coverage tells them that they can't be taken together.

September 17, 2009 4:02 AM

Review by rrdulworth:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Cluster Headaches: I take Zanaflex for chronic tension/cluster headaches, I was suffering daily with tension headaches and I also get migraines. This drug has been a life saver for me. I have tried everything. Imitrex is still good for the migraine, when one will slip through and you are not able to take this during during the day. This medicine will cause you to sleep. I take it just before bed. But I have actually had days without a headache and before this medication that was not possible. I was truly waking up and going to bed each day with a horrible a headache and as a high school teacher, that made my job a lot harder. I am still on Topamax to keep the migraines from breaking through. I am hoping when I go through menopause, all this will go away.

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2009 10:44 AM