Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Tizanidine

Also known as: Zanaflex

Learn more about Tizanidine.

Muscle Spasm 104 reviews 55 medications

7.5
Cluster Headaches 11 reviews 35 medications

6.9
Summary of Tizanidine reviews 115 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Tizanidine

For Muscle Spasm: I've taken tizanidine for almost a year now. I LOVE it! I have painful muscle spasms and cluster headaches. It helps incredibly with both of those. It does make me a little drowsy, but nothing severe. Doesn't help me sleep at night, however. Am still having chronic insomnia issues.

December 8, 2011 2:49 PM

For Muscle Spasm: Kipple-Feil syndrome and Sprengel's deformity: My back has major problems and this medicine works the best by far. It works on the back without turning the rest of you to jello. I mostly limit it to before bed, because it can make you very tired. It lasts about 6 hours.

November 30, 2011 7:24 PM

Review by ceecee126:

For Muscle Spasm: I am taking Tizanidine for muscle spasms associated with 3 ruptured discs in my lower back, sciatica and spinal stenosis. So far it only helps me sleep a few hours at a time, maybe 4. If the pain is really severe during the day I take 2mg. I find if I take 4 mg. It makes me sleepy. It does seem to help me but only for a short period of time.

October 1, 2011 7:26 AM

For Cluster Headaches: This has been great so far, been on it for 7 months and has helped reduce the amount of migraines and constant neck and shoulder tightness/pain. I can only take it at night as I still will become sleepy even after this long but way better just at night then not at all. The dry mouth hasn't lessened either, but only lasts about 4 hours, so if you don't fall asleep right away it can be annoying.

September 21, 2011 2:13 AM

Review by Frizzle_101:

For Muscle Spasm: This is my 3rd month on Tizanidine. Was on 2mg four times a day for severe low back and neck spasms and pain from an injury sustained while in Iraq. Also been on many types of relaxers and other pain medicines with no significant relief until my doctor wrote me a prescription for tizanidine. Since I've been on it daily activities have increased, taken 2-6 hour road trips with no major problems, and been able to increase my nightly naps and turn those into dream filled lapses in reality for close to 6 hrs/night! Cut Ambien use in half. Now on 4mg three times a day. The only negatives I have for this medicine is it doesn't last long enough, dry mouth is bad, dreams are sometimes too vivid causing nightmares, and hallucinations have occurred due to user error. Follow doctors orders while using this medicine.

August 3, 2011 9:15 AM

Review by mskdorf:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: This medicine actually works.

June 28, 2011 6:02 PM

Review by Super Z:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: Make sure that you do not do anything where you need your balance, this medicine causes DIZZINESS.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 10, 2011 1:32 PM

Review by Humanriff:

For Muscle Spasm: I have severe sciatica caused by long distance driving. I also have chronic insomnia. I take 12 mg of tizanidine before I go to bed and go right to sleep. If you are prescribed this medicine, just be warned it is like an anesthetic. One minute you will be awake, the next you will be asleep. I don't know how you can take it during the day. Do not take it if you are going to drive. Also, it is addictive, at least at the level that I take it. I get the shakes around 5 PM. But as far as benefit/harm is concerned, I think it is very good for what it does.

May 1, 2011 11:58 AM

For Muscle Spasm: This medicine helps me sleep but I have vivid dreams while taking it and its disturbing.

April 29, 2011 11:36 PM

Review by Danella0313:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I am new to this medicine. I have been on several other muscle relaxers and they never did a thing for me. After reading what everyone else has said about this muscle relaxer I am praying it will help for me as well. I have a bulging disc in my lower back that is pinching my sciatic nerve which caused me a lot of pain in my left hip.

April 28, 2011 5:46 PM

Review by packerfan2011:

For : At first 1mg in the morning and night seemed to help. But then after 3 weeks, I started becoming way too tired to function. The dry mouth after taking the tablet was the worst I've ever had, and I started to wake up in the middle of the night HALLUCINATING every few days. I also take a small dose of either Lunesta or Ambien every night. The hallucinations seemed to be more frequent on Lunesta nights, so I stopped taking that and went down Tizanadine just at night. I've had a couple nights where I felt pretty weird, but no hallucinations. However, I'm not sure it's really helping other than to help me sleep now. I think I'll ask about trying to increase the Tizanadine and go off the sleeping pills.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2011 12:56 AM

For Muscle Spasm: I have a rye neck from birth- some call it torticolis. I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia diagnosed in 2005. I have severe neck and shoulder tightness which causes a headache similar to a migraine. Nothing short of a chiropractor could ever relieve this pain. Having rheumatoid arthritis I can no longer go to a chiropractor. This medication is a life saver for me. It did make me drowsy and a bit goofy the first few days. Do not drive until you are used to this medication. It has been a month now and I take 2 or 3 pills only when the neck gets stiff and sore and it relieves the pain and the headache disappears. This is the first time in 5 years I have had relief from this pain.

March 19, 2011 3:02 AM

Review by ItchyNoseGirl:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: Great Medicine. I have herniated discs and take it with Percocet, and am able to relax.

March 9, 2011 8:14 PM

Review by brianaa:

For Muscle Spasm: Soma worked great then that doctor would not take my insurance. So got another doctor and he would only give me Flexeril or baclofen and both absolutely do nothing. I have a herniated disc and get muscle spasms in low back and buttocks they are hard as rock. This medicine with Vicodin does help but it does make you very sleepy and dizzy so be careful driving.

February 23, 2011 9:04 PM

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: My Doctor prescribed me this medication due to the fact I could not sleep at night. He warned me that I would have vivid dreams, but I haven't really. I really like this medication as I can sleep through the night for the first time in years. The only draw back is that it knocks me out cold, and the next morning I am really stiff from not tossing and turning all night. I can live with that.

December 21, 2010 2:51 PM

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I have disc disease. I take 4mg only at night. Knocks me out. This is the only medicine that has helped with my pain and my muscle spasms. I sleep well all night and lasts through until next day. Only been taking it for 3 days. Finally found a good muscle relaxer. Only side effect I have noticed is dry mouth. I think it is great.

November 5, 2010 8:23 PM

Review by Georgiagirl5:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I have been using Zanaflex since 2003. I suffer from chronic pain and spasms due to herniated discs in neck and back. I have already had fusion done on neck and the pain and spasms never went away, that was due to the discs below the fusion herniated just after the surgery *over compensated for the discs above* I also have fibromyalgia, I am supposed to take 4mgs 3 times a day but only take it at night since it makes me sleepy most of the time and I am already on Percocet and Savella. I need to function during the day. Doctor says I can take all 3 at bedtime if I wanted but have only taken 2 at a time. Dry mouth is a side effect and sometimes I will have the grogginess in the morning but found that it is mostly due to taking it so late and getting up early.

October 22, 2010 4:19 AM

Review by serve ickle:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: MRI reveals badly blown out cervical disc @ c4-5. Now, as long as I didn't do much, I wouldn't have much pain but getting anything done (like yardwork, working out with pushups, painting a wall...etc) was another story and would leave me in severe pain but always THE NEXT DAY and for at least several days afterward (I never really felt the pain on the day of the activity). Then, my doctor gave me Zanaflex, and now I take one 4 mg tab that night, the next day is pain free! I haven't noticed any side effects, no next day grogginess and even the quality of sleep is normal with pleasant dreaming; in fact, if anything my dreams are slightly easier to remember which shows plenty of REM.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2010 11:32 AM

Review by Karma51:

For Cluster Headaches: This medication is very sedating for me. I cannot take so much as 1 mg during the day unless I want a nap. I take 4 mg at night and get about 4 hours of deep sleep. Then I wake up and the rest of the night is restless with very vivid dreams. If I take more, I get leg/foot cramps. When I tried to taper off of it, I got some intense jaw pain that I had never experienced before. I believe it helps my daily headaches somewhat by working on muscle tension and jaw clenching at night, however I do believe there is some addictive property such that coming off of it can be difficult due to increased muscle tension. The leg cramp side effect seems to be really rare, and not all people find it so sedating.

September 13, 2010 10:28 AM

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: Zanaflex considerably reduced my back pain, headaches, muscle spasms, mandibular stress-related spasms and overall pain associated with spasticity due to neuromuscular condition. I take 2mg as I am small framed and thin person. I take it at bedtime to offset the 2 hour tiredness effect following ingestion. It works well for me.

August 21, 2010 11:25 PM

Review by psk:

For Muscle Spasm: I was prescribed this medicine for severe neck spasms which keep me up at night. I also have chronic insomnia. My initial dose is 4 mg at bedtime, 2 mg during the day as needed. I have been taking it for 2 weeks. Last night was the last dose I'll ever take! While it does seem to relax my neck, I am up every couple hours to urinate, then my throat is so dry, I have to drink more water. Because of the insomnia, it takes forever just to get back to sleep. No sooner do I manage that, then I have to get up to pee AGAIN.

August 19, 2010 8:11 AM

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Cluster Headaches: I have been taking Zanaflex and Desipramine for my daily headaches for about 1 1/2 years. They have greatly decreased the number of headaches and I am very thankful for the relief. I do experience dry mouth and frequent urination but I can live with that. Much easier than the horrible headaches I was experiencing daily.

April 20, 2010 12:39 PM

Review by Chronic Pain in KC:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I have been living with chronic neck, back and migraine pain for several years now. In the beginning, my doctors had me go to physical therapy, take ibuprofen, or aspirin. None of these things ever really helped. After trying Flexeril and numerous anti-inflammatories, my pain management doctor did an MRI and found that among the many tension knots and twisting of my spine, I had bulging disks in my neck. He gave me Zanaflex to take at night. It knocks me out within 20 minutes but helps relax my back and neck so that I can get restful sleep - been on it for 3 months now! I highly recommend it for continuous back pain and it's even helped with my migraines. Be ready for bed though - very powerful!

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 14, 2010 3:47 PM

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I have MS and was having terrible spasms at night. Since taking this medicine I feel much better.

February 6, 2010 8:42 PM

Review by OPTIONAL:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for : I do agree this medicine is good but I have stumbled upon a problem. I started taking this medicine about 6 years ago for leg cramps. I am diabetic and it was very difficult for me to sleep. So, I started on the 4mg 3x daily. I could not take it and work in the daytime so I only took it at night. ER physician said to up the dosage amount of this drug to 2 tablets 3 x a day. So, through the years to keep from hurting the dosage has been increased and now taking 4 at night. When I try not to take them my heart races and blood pressure is sky high. I ran a normal low but without this drug my heart goes crazy.

January 31, 2010 2:15 PM