User Reviews for Tizanidine

Also known as: Zanaflex

Learn more about Tizanidine.

Muscle Spasm 85 reviews 55 medications

7.5
Cluster Headaches 10 reviews 35 medications

6.9
Summary of Tizanidine reviews 95 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Tizanidine

Review by Chronic Pain in KC: User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I have been living with chronic neck, back and migraine pain for several years now. In the beginning, my doctors had me go to physical therapy, take ibuprofen, or aspirin. None of these things ever really helped. After trying Flexeril and numerous anti-inflammatories, my pain management doctor did an MRI and found that among the many tension knots and twisting of my spine, I had bulging disks in my neck. He gave me Zanaflex to take at night. It knocks me out within 20 minutes but helps relax my back and neck so that I can get restful sleep - been on it for 3 months now! I highly recommend it for continuous back pain and it's even helped with my migraines. Be ready for bed though - very powerful!

April 14, 2010 3:47 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I have MS and was having terrible spasms at night. Since taking this medicine I feel much better.

February 6, 2010 8:42 PM
Review by OPTIONAL:

Zanaflex (tizanidine): I do agree this medicine is good but I have stumbled upon a problem. I started taking this medicine about 6 years ago for leg cramps. I am diabetic and it was very difficult for me to sleep. So, I started on the 4mg 3x daily. I could not take it and work in the daytime so I only took it at night. ER physician said to up the dosage amount of this drug to 2 tablets 3 x a day. So, through the years to keep from hurting the dosage has been increased and now taking 4 at night. When I try not to take them my heart races and blood pressure is sky high. I ran a normal low but without this drug my heart goes crazy.

January 31, 2010 2:15 PM
Review by Sberkley43: User Rating:

tizanidine for Muscle Spasm: I was prescribed Zanaflex 4mg after my acl reconstruction. My doctor advised me to take the medication when or if I had spasms in my leg. Shortly after surgery I had spasms and I took Zanaflex. Within 30 mins after taking it, my spasms went away. Now I am taking it about every 4 hours and I have not had any spasms. The medicine did make my mouth dry but i would much rather have dry mouth than leg spasms. All in all, this drug is awesome!!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 20, 2009 9:35 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: Am having the runny nose, flu like symptoms, frequent urination and horrible diarrhea. This is the only change that has taken place. I left Flexeril and changed to this.

December 5, 2009 2:25 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

tizanidine for Muscle Spasm: This is good, really helps with the pain. But makes me tired.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 30, 2009 1:59 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

tizanidine for Muscle Spasm: Have been on Flexerill for the last 18 months. Doctor decided it was time for a change in my medicines. Put me on Tizanidine for muscle spasm and tension headaches due to disc protrusion at C7-C8. Had some side effects coming off of the Flexerill. But since this medicine hasn't worked I'm ready to go back to the Flexerill.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 25, 2009 4:33 PM
Review by neeleymountain: User Rating:

tizanidine for Muscle Spasm: I would have given this a 10 rating, it is so effective, but it drops my blood pressure severely. For me that's not exactly a problem because I have such a high BP but it is a caution for someone who does not. Now I am in the process of trying to establish how much and how often to take it to be safe with the blood pressure and not knowing if I can actually take true blood pressure medicines or not while on this. The doctor prescribed 4mg four times a day but I had to start with 1mg once a day and work up because of feeling "drunk" and the blood pressure problem. Both are changing as I adjust so I don't know what the final dose/times will be. As for pain I think this is so much better than Soma. Enough so that I am more than willing to work out the adjustments.

November 7, 2009 1:32 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

tizanidine for Muscle Spasm: Spasms are pretty well kept at bay if taken 3 x day. Refill has expired so I will see if they're still needed. No drowsiness whatsoever. If taken with 4 mg Dilaudid, and Darvocet, and xanax.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 3, 2009 3:18 PM
Review by kalopa.lady: User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I have used this medicine along with narcotic pain killers for a cervical disc protrusion. When I weaned off the pain killers, the Zanaflex really helped with the withdrawal symptoms (RLS, anxiety, sleeplessness) I was experiencing. This medicine still helps with the muscle spasms I get and it doesn't make me tired either, probably due to the high tolerance levels I have from years of abuse, however it really saved me during the Norco withdrawals - and have been off all narcotics for a few months now.

163 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 27, 2009 4:56 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

tizanidine for Muscle Spasm: I've been taking Tizanidine tablets (4mg) every 4 hours when required for the past three months after failed laminectomy surgery. I've been taking them along with various other pain medicines (Norco, Lyrica and Neurontin) and so it's difficult to report on the efficacy. But, I do feel relief when I wake around midnight and take that Tizanidine tablet that is always by my bedside. Dry mouth and drowsiness might be a problem but since all the other medicines cause the same sort of symptoms it is hard to say. When it came time to refill my second prescription I debated whether I should or not for a few days and an increase in discomfort made me opt for the refill. I'm glad I did.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 22, 2009 8:41 AM
Review by RSDer: User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I take this as an additional medicine for pain control and the deep tissue pain associated with Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. The medicine is beneficial in helping the efficacy of the pain medicines taken.

October 18, 2009 10:51 PM
Review by breekee: User Rating:

tizanidine for Muscle Spasm: I got this medicine to help with spasms which it did, helps me "shut down" at the end of the day too. I do have a few hallucinations with it before I fall asleep and seem to have increased bad dreams, also dry mouth but I do think the benefit really outweighs the side effects.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 23, 2009 12:38 AM
Review by MiKe BiC: User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I had been having muscle spasms the Zanaflex helped. I suffer from real bad insomnia; I have been unable to find a medicine that would work for me and once prescribed Zanaflex I have been able to sleep every night as long as I have them. So if anyone else suffers from insomnia maybe they could try Zanaflex, it really helps.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 18, 2009 8:27 PM
Review by MichXelle:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I was given Zanaflex 6 years ago to help me sleep. The rheumatologist claimed my diagnosis of Fibromyalgia required straight sleep. He forget to do radiographs for arthritis. It works well, I would never recommend taking it during the day though. I don't react to medications well, I did to Zanaflex. It makes me groggy and I would never do anything that needed full attention taking it. I take it at night only for sleep. It's a good medication but be careful if you go on Cipro or Levaquin (antibiotics). In 2007 they found a problem with the combination, you must come off Zanaflex while taking those and a few other antibiotics. Speak to your pharmacist but usually insurance coverage tells them that they can't be taken together.

September 17, 2009 4:02 AM
Review by rrdulworth:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Cluster Headaches: I take Zanaflex for chronic tension/cluster headaches, I was suffering daily with tension headaches and I also get migraines. This drug has been a life saver for me. I have tried everything. Imitrex is still good for the migraine, when one will slip through and you are not able to take this during during the day. This medicine will cause you to sleep. I take it just before bed. But I have actually had days without a headache and before this medication that was not possible. I was truly waking up and going to bed each day with a horrible a headache and as a high school teacher, that made my job a lot harder. I am still on Topamax to keep the migraines from breaking through. I am hoping when I go through menopause, all this will go away.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 13, 2009 10:44 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I also have taken many muscle relaxants, including soma. When my doctor suggested this medicine to me I made sure that it was not a narcotic and habit forming. It is not. This is really been a blessing for me. Still makes me sleepy, but if taken with food wow it works!

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 11, 2009 2:45 PM
Review by general12: User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I've been on Zanaflex for about 6 months now. At first it helped me sleep through the night but now I only get about 4 hours. I would not recommend taking in the day time because it seems to make you feel funny in the head if you don't go to sleep, and also have very vivid dreams on this.

July 19, 2009 1:54 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: The capsules seem to work better than tablets and less side effects with capsules.

July 15, 2009 2:48 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I originally tried Zanaflex 4 mg after a whiplash and it didn't help. Later I still had some and accidentally took it one time and it worked. Now I take the 6mg capsule as needed for muscle spasm and it has worked better for me than Flexeril, Soma, Robaxin and several others.

July 14, 2009 5:18 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: It's not "short-acting" - I couldn't move for 48 hours.

July 10, 2009 3:51 PM
Review by gordon fan: User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine): Has done wonders for me. I've been taking them for almost 4 years along with another medication. It helps with the pain and also allows you a good nights rest.

June 6, 2009 10:28 PM
Review by Kaety: User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Cluster Headaches: This works great. I take it for back spasm but also for cluster headaches. I had a stroke several years ago at age 28 years, so I am limited in what medicines I can take due to my medical history. My doctor has me take more than I need for back spasm/pain. I was warned it would make me sleepy and usually does, but in that time my headache/pain goes away almost completely. It is wonderful, especially since it is not a controlled substance. I'd rather take this for both conditions than the 100mg Demerol every 4 hours I was on for several years. Not only don't I miss the injections, but since it does not have the side effects and addiction I can do more since I can think more clearly and function more.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 28, 2009 2:13 PM
Review by JamesTDover: User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: First time using it. Had discectomy in Feb '09 and now have Stenosis which required steroid injections which started today. The Zanaflex worked amazingly quick on the muscles/tissues directly around L4 - L5. Not doing much for the radiating spasming in the hip/buttocks/thigh though. Do not seem to be having any real side effects which is key! Wish it kicked in quicker though and hope it helps with restful sleep at night. Optomistic!

May 13, 2009 2:49 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: I've been on Zanaflex for over a month now and all I can say is it really makes me sleep well. I take pain medicines for chronic low back pain and also take sleep medicines to make me sleep because the pain gets worse at night keeping me up. I wasn't happy when they gave me this instead of Soma, because I had great results with Soma. Now I can say I'm glad I did go on this medicine. I take 2 about 45 minutes before I want to turn in for the night. My spasms are relieved and I can sleep through most of the night and wake without any hangover effects. I'm glad I have this now.

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 11, 2009 8:31 PM