Carisoprodol Side Effects
Not all side effects for carisoprodol may be reported. You should always consult a doctor or healthcare professional for medical advice. Side effects can be reported to the FDA here.
For the Consumer
Applies to carisoprodol: oral tablet
In addition to its needed effects, some unwanted effects may be caused by carisoprodol. In the event that any of these side effects do occur, they may require medical attention.
You should check with your doctor immediately if any of these side effects occur when taking carisoprodol:Incidence not known
- Black, tarry stools
- chest pain
- cold sweats
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
- fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat or pulse
- loss of bladder control
- muscle spasm or jerking of all extremities
- painful or difficult urination
- shortness of breath
- sore throat
- sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
- sudden loss of consciousness
- swollen glands
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual tiredness or weakness
If any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking carisoprodol, get emergency help immediately:Symptoms of overdose
- Bigger, dilated, or enlarged pupils (black part of the eye)
- blurred vision
- change in consciousness
- confusion as to time, place, or person
- difficult or troubled breathing
- false or unusual sense of well-being
- holding false beliefs that cannot be changed by fact
- inability to move the eyes
- increased blinking or spasms of the eyelid
- increased sensitivity of the eyes to light
- irregular, fast or slow, or shallow breathing
- loss of consciousness
- muscle stiffness or tightness
- pale or blue lips, fingernails, or skin
- sticking out of the tongue
- trouble with breathing, speaking, or swallowing
- uncontrolled eye movements
- uncontrolled twisting movements of the neck, trunk, arms, or legs
- unusual excitement, nervousness, or restlessness
- unusual facial expressions
- weakness of the arms and legs
Some of the side effects that can occur with carisoprodol may not need medical attention. As your body adjusts to the medicine during treatment these side effects may go away. Your health care professional may also be able to tell you about ways to reduce or prevent some of these side effects. If any of the following side effects continue, are bothersome or if you have any questions about them, check with your health care professional:More common
- deep or fast breathing with dizziness
- dry mouth
- face is warm or hot to touch
- fainting feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings
- numbness of the feet, hands, and around the mouth
- pain or discomfort in the chest, upper stomach, or throat
- redness to face
- sensation of spinning
- shakiness and unsteady walk
- trouble sleeping
- unable to sleep
- unsteadiness, trembling, or other problems with muscle control or coordination
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to carisoprodol: compounding powder, oral tablet
Nervous system side effects are common and include drowsiness and sedation most often. There have been postmarketing reports of motor vehicle accidents associated with the use of carisoprodol. Dizziness, headache, tremor, agitation, insomnia, syncope and ataxia have also been reported.
Central respiratory depression may occur, particularly at high doses.
Psychologic dependence and abuse of carisoprodol (often in combination with alcohol and other CNS depressants) have been reported.
Withdrawal symptoms after abrupt cessation of carisoprodol have been reported and may be due to dependency on the meprobamate metabolite. Such symptoms include abdominal pain, agitation, tremor, restlessness, anxiety, depression, insomnia, nausea, and sweating. Seizures have been reported rarely.
Hypersensitivity effects include rash, pruritus and erythema multiforme. Asthma, fever, hypotension and anaphylaxis have been reported rarely.
Gastrointestinal symptoms include nausea, vomiting, hiccups and epigastric distress.
Cardiovascular effects include tachycardia, hypotension, postural hypotension, and facial flushing.
Oncologic side effects have included mutagenicity and clastogenicity reported from in vitro animal cell assays.
More about carisoprodol
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.