Gamma-Check-B (Canada)This page contains information on Gamma-Check-B for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
- Gamma-Check-B Indications
- Warnings and cautions for Gamma-Check-B
- Direction and dosage information for Gamma-Check-B
Gamma-Check-BThis treatment applies to the following species:
WHEN TO TEST:
Newborns ingesting good quality colostrum will have > 800 mg IgG/dl by 8 hr old. Testing calves as early as 8 hr allows oral supplementation with colostrum. However calves may be tested up to 48 hr to monitor the herd colostrum program.
A. WHOLE BLOOD
1. Add 1.5 ml to fill to black line on GAMMA-CHECK tube (fresh or EDTA blood).
2. Swirl tube to ensure mixing & note time.
3. Tilt tube every 2 minutes - when blood no longer flows invert tube and gently tap - clot should remain firmly in place.
4. END POINT IS FORMATION OF A FIRM CLOT - IF THIS OCCURS IN:
<5 MIN the IgG is above 800 mg/dl
5-10 MIN the IgG is 700-800 mg/dl
A jelly like clot that slips down the side is usually positive but should be retested using serum or a different type of test.
1. Collect blood into a red top tube, allow to clot (30 min), then centrifuge to remove serum.
2. Repeat steps A 1-4 using serum.
On occasion a false negative can occur - we recommend retesting the calf with another test, such as the Radial Immunodiffusion test, prior to a plasma transfusion.
Sick calves (with elevated fibrinogen), dehydrated calves or hemolyzed samples may give false positive results. In these cases the Gamma-Check test should be run using serum or another test type.
The glutaraldehyde reagent is caustic, if skin or eye contact occurs wash with copious amount of water & consult physician.
DO NOT LEAVE TUBES IN HOT SUN
Recommend storage at 4°C
1. Tennant, B et al. Use of the glutaraldehyde coagulation test for Detection of Hypogammaglobulinemia in Neonatal Calves JAVMA 174: 848-853 1979
2. Jones, D & Brook, D Evaluation of Gamma-Check-B as a Field Test for Immunoglobulin Determination in Calves. Agripractice 1995
PLASSVACC®, 1535 Templeton Road, Templeton, CA 93465
Distributed by: Centaur V.A.
Presentation: 10 and 25 tests per kit.
NAC No.: 12530012
1535 TEMPLETON ROAD, TEMPLETON, CA, 93465
|Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the Gamma-Check-B information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the Canadian product label or package insert.|
Copyright © 2017 North American Compendiums. Updated: 2017-10-31