Ruconest Side Effects
Generic Name: conestat alfa
Note: This document contains side effect information about conestat alfa. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Ruconest.
For the Consumer
Applies to conestat alfa: intravenous solution reconstituted
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Change in color of mouth to blue.
- A fast heartbeat.
- Very bad headache.
- Call your doctor right away if you have signs of a blood clot like chest pain or pressure; coughing up blood; shortness of breath; swelling, warmth, numbness, change of color, or pain in a leg or arm; or trouble speaking or swallowing.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Upset stomach.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to conestat alfa: intravenous powder for injection
The most common adverse reactions were headache, nausea, and diarrhea.[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Headache (up to 10%)
Common (1% to 10%): Vertigo, procedural headache
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Paresthesia[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Angioedema, erythema marginatum, skin burning sensation
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Urticaria
Postmarketing reports: Rash[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Nausea, diarrhea
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Abdominal discomfort, oral paresthesia
Postmarketing reports: Abdominal pain[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Sneezing
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Throat irritation[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Fibrin D-dimer increased[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): C-reactive protein increased[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Back pain[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Lipoma
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Swelling[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Ruconest (conestat alfa)." Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Costa Mesa, CA.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
Some side effects of Ruconest may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
More about Ruconest (conestat alfa)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 2 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: miscellaneous coagulation modifiers
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.