Pneumovax 23 Side Effects
Generic Name: pneumococcal 23-polyvalent vaccine
Note: This document contains side effect information about pneumococcal 23-polyvalent vaccine. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Pneumovax 23.
For the Consumer
Applies to pneumococcal 23-polyvalent vaccine: injection injectable
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Pain where the shot was given.
- Redness or swelling where the shot is given.
- Irritation where the shot is given.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Muscle pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to pneumococcal 23-polyvalent vaccine: injectable solution
The most common adverse events were fever and injection site reactions.[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Pain/soreness/tenderness (77.2%), swelling/induration (39.8%), erythema (34.5%)
Common (1% to 10%): Pruritus, ecchymosis
Rare (less than 0.1%): Injection site cellulitis
Very common (10% or more): Headache (18.1%)
Very common (10% or more): Asthenia/fatigue (17.9%)
Common (1% to 10%): Fever
Frequency not reported: Alcohol intoxication
Postmarketing reports: Malaise, increased C-reactive protein[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Myalgia (17.3%)
Common (1% to 10%): Chills, neck pain
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Back pain
Postmarketing reports: Arthralgia, arthritis[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Lymphadenitis, lymphadenopathy, thrombocytopenia in patients with stabilized idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, hemolytic anemia in patients who have had other hematologic disorders, leukocytosis[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Edema, diabetes[Ref]
1. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
3. "Product Information. Pneumovax 23 (pneumococcal vaccine, polyvalent)." Merck & Co, Inc, West Point, PA.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Pneumovax 23 (pneumococcal 23-polyvalent vaccine)
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 2 Reviews
- Drug class: bacterial vaccines