Oxandrin Side Effects
Generic Name: oxandrolone
Note: This document contains side effect information about oxandrolone. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Oxandrin.
For the Consumer
Applies to oxandrolone: oral tablets
- Peliosis hepatis, a condition in which the liver contains blood-filled cysts, reported with androgen therapy.1 4 30 31 34 May present with minimal hepatic dysfunction,1 4 34 or effects may not be apparent until complicated by life-threatening liver failure or rupture of the cysts resulting in intra-abdominal hemorrhage.1 4 5 7 31 34 (See Hepatic Effects under Cautions.)
- Discontinuance of androgen therapy usually results in resolution of liver lesions.1 4 32 34
Hepatic Adenoma and Carcinoma
- Liver cell tumors reported with androgen therapy.1 4 5 7 30 31 34 Tumors are usually benign and androgen dependent; hepatocellular carcinoma, sometimes fatal, also reported.1 4 5 7 34
- Liver cell tumors associated with androgens are more vascular than other hepatic tumors; hepatic effects may not be apparent until complicated by life-threatening intra-abdominal hemorrhage.1 4 5 34
- Discontinuance of androgen therapy often but not always results in regression or cessation of progression of the tumor.1 4 5 34
Side effects include:
Elevated aminotransferases (ALT, AST), lipid abnormalities (e.g., decreased HDL cholesterol concentrations).
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to oxandrolone: oral tablet
Frequency not reported:
-Prepubertal Males: Phallic enlargement and increased frequency or persistence of erections
-Females: Clitoral enlargement, menstrual irregularities[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Bleeding in patients on concomitant anticoagulant therapy[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Cholestatic jaundice with, rarely, hepatic necrosis and death; hepatocellular neoplasms and peliosis hepatis with long-term therapy; reversible changes in liver function tests also occur including increased bromsulfophthalein (BSP) retention, changes in alkaline phosphatase and increases in serum bilirubin, aspartate aminotransferase (AST, SGOT) and alanine aminotransferase (ALT, SGPT).[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Edema, retention of serum electrolytes (sodium chloride, potassium, phosphate, calcium); decreased glucose tolerance; increased creatinine excretion; increased serum levels of creatinine phosphokinase[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Gynecomastia, hepatic neoplasms and hepatocellular carcinomas following prolonged therapy with large doses of anabolic steroids[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Virilization of female patients including deepening voice, hirsutism, acne, clitoromegaly (not reversible), and menstrual abnormalities.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Oxandrin (oxandrolone)." Bio-Tech, Levittown, PA.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Oxandrin (oxandrolone)
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- Drug class: androgens and anabolic steroids
- FDA Alerts (1)