Magnesium carbonate Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to magnesium carbonate: oral liquid
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very loose stools (diarrhea).
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to magnesium carbonate: compounding powder, oral capsule, oral liquid, oral suspension
Gastrointestinal side effects have included flatulence and diarrhea. Magnesium (Mg) toxicity has been associated with nausea (Mg levels of 4 to 5 mEq/L) and rare cases of paralytic ileus (Mg levels greater than 5 mEq/L).[Ref]
1. Emmett M "A comparison of clinically useful phosphorus binders for patients with chronic kidney failure." Kidney Int 66 Suppl 90 (2004): S25-32
2. "Multum Information Services, Inc. Expert Review Panel"
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about magnesium carbonate
- Magnesium carbonate Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: minerals and electrolytes
Other brands: Magonate