Iron Gluconate Side Effects
Generic Name: ferrous gluconate
Note: This document contains side effect information about ferrous gluconate. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Iron Gluconate.
For the Consumer
Applies to ferrous gluconate: oral tablet
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Belly pain.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Hard stools (constipation).
- Change in color of stool to green.
- Not hungry.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Stomach cramps.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to ferrous gluconate: compounding powder, oral capsule, oral liquid, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release
Frequency not reported: Gastrointestinal discomfort, anorexia, diarrhea, nausea, heartburn, vomiting, constipation, fecal impaction, darkening of stools, gastrointestinal necrosis, gastrointestinal perforation, gastrointestinal stricture, epigastric pain, hematemesis[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Allergic reactions[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Circulatory collapse[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Ferrous Gluconate (ferrous gluconate)." Paddock Laboratories Inc, Minneapolis, MN.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
Some side effects of Iron Gluconate may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
More about Iron Gluconate (ferrous gluconate)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: iron products