Ferrex-150 Side Effects
Generic name: iron polysaccharide
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 20, 2022.
Note: This document contains side effect information about iron polysaccharide. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Ferrex-150.
Applies to iron polysaccharide: oral capsule, oral liquid, oral tablet.
- Accidental overdose of drugs that have iron in them is a leading cause of deadly poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. Keep away from children. If this drug is taken by accident, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
Serious side effects of Ferrex-150
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- Stomach cramps.
Other side effects of Ferrex-150
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Change in color of stool to green.
- Belly pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to iron polysaccharide: oral capsule, oral elixir, oral liquid, oral tablet.
The manufacturer has not provided adverse event information.[Ref]
More about Ferrex-150 (iron polysaccharide)
- Check interactions
- Drug images
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: iron products
- En español
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. NovaFerrum 50 (iron polysaccharide)." Gensavis Pharmaceuticals (2019):
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.