Feosol Original Side Effects
Generic name: ferrous sulfate
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 30, 2021.
Note: This document contains side effect information about ferrous sulfate. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Feosol Original.
For the Consumer
Applies to ferrous sulfate: oral tablet, oral tablet delayed release, oral tablet extended release
Other dosage forms:
- Accidental overdose of drugs that have iron in them is a leading cause of deadly poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. Keep away from children. If this drug is taken by accident, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Belly pain.
- Change in color of stool to green.
- Not hungry.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Stomach cramps.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to ferrous sulfate: compounding powder, oral capsule extended release, oral delayed release tablet, oral elixir, oral liquid, oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release
Frequency not reported: Nausea, epigastric pain, altered bowel habit (constipation, diarrhea), discolored (blackened) stools, fecal impaction, gastrointestinal irritation, contact irritation resulting in erosion or ulceration, tooth discoloration[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
More about Feosol Original (ferrous sulfate)
- Drug interactions
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Reviews (2)
- Drug images
- En español
- Drug class: iron products
Related treatment guides
1. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
2. "Product Information. Ferrous Sulfate (ferrous sulfate)." Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Cranbury, NJ.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.