Desquam-E Side Effects
Generic name: benzoyl peroxide topical
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 9, 2022.
Note: This document contains side effect information about benzoyl peroxide topical. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Desquam-E.
Applies to benzoyl peroxide topical: topical bar, topical cream, topical foam, topical gel/jelly, topical liquid, topical lotion, topical pad, topical soap, topical solution.
Serious side effects of Desquam-E
Along with its needed effects, benzoyl peroxide topical (the active ingredient contained in Desquam-E) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking benzoyl peroxide topical:
- Pain, burning, blistering, changes in color, dryness, itching, peeling, redness, scaling, stinging, or swelling of the skin where the medicine is applied
Incidence not known
- Chest tightness
- difficulty swallowing
- fast heartbeat
- hives, itching, or skin rash
- increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight
- large, hive-like swelling on face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or sex organs
- redness or other discoloration of the skin
- severe sunburn
- swelling of the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- tightness in the throat
- trouble breathing
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Other side effects of Desquam-E
Some side effects of benzoyl peroxide topical may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Dryness or peeling of the skin (may occur after a few days)
- feeling of warmth, mild stinging, and redness of the skin
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to benzoyl peroxide topical: compounding powder, topical bar, topical cream, topical foam, topical gel, topical kit, topical liquid, topical lotion, topical pad, topical soap.
Very common (10% or more): Peeling, application site erythema
Common (1% to 10%): Dryness, pruritus, contact sensitization reactions
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Burning sensation
The most commonly reported side effects were peeling and application site erythema.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Swelling of the face[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
More about Desquam-E (benzoyl peroxide topical)
- Check interactions
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: topical acne agents
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Triaz (benzoyl peroxide topical)." Medicis Dermatologics Inc (2001):
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.