Cervidil Side Effects
Generic Name: dinoprostone topical
Note: This document contains side effect information about dinoprostone topical. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Cervidil.
More frequent side effects include: hypertonic uterine contractions. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
For the Consumer
Applies to dinoprostone topical: vaginal gel/jelly, vaginal insert extended release, vaginal suppository, vaginal tampon
Along with its needed effects, dinoprostone topical (the active ingredient contained in Cervidil) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking dinoprostone topical:Less common or rare
- Fast or slow heartbeat
- increased pain of the uterus
- pale, cool, blotchy skin on arms or legs
- pressing or painful feeling in chest
- shortness of breath
- swelling of face, inside the nose, and eyelids
- tightness in chest
- trouble in breathing
- weak or absent pulse in arms or legs
Some side effects of dinoprostone topical may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:More common
- Chills or shivering
- swelling of the genital area (vulva)
- tender or mildly bloated abdomen or stomach
This procedure may still result in some effects, which occur after the procedure is completed, that need medical attention. Check with your doctor if any of the following side effects occur while taking dinoprostone topical:
- Chills or shivering (continuing)
- fever (continuing)
- foul-smelling vaginal discharge
- pain in lower abdomen
- unusual increase in bleeding of the uterus
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to dinoprostone topical: vaginal gel, vaginal insert, vaginal suppository
Very common (10% or more): Any fetal heart rate abnormality
Frequency not reported: Hearing impairment, neonatal distress, neonatal death, stillbirths, low Apgar score[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Rash, diaphoresis, skin discoloration[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Anaphylactic reactions (including anaphylactic shock)[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Uterine hyperstimulation (with or without fetal distress), fetal distress without uterine hyperstimulation, warm feeling in vagina
Frequency not reported: Uterine hypertonus, uterine rupture, placenta abruptio, rapid cervical dilatation, vaginal pain, vaginal irritation, vaginitis or vulvitis, breast tenderness, vaginismus, genital edema, transient vasovagal symptoms (flushing, shivering, headache, dizziness)[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Tension[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Cervidil (dinoprostone topical)." Forest Pharmaceuticals, St. Louis, MO.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
3. "Product Information. Prostin E2 Suppository (dinoprostone topical)." Pharmacia and Upjohn, Kalamazoo, MI.
4. "Product Information. Prepidil (dinoprostone topical)" Pharmacia and Upjohn, Kalamazoo, MI.
5. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Cervidil (dinoprostone topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 6 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: uterotonic agents