Arbinoxa Side Effects
Generic name: carbinoxamine
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on May 18, 2023.
Note: This document contains side effect information about carbinoxamine. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Arbinoxa.
Applies to carbinoxamine: oral solution, oral suspension extended release, oral tablet.
Serious side effects of Arbinoxa
Along with its needed effects, carbinoxamine (the active ingredient contained in Arbinoxa) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking carbinoxamine:
Incidence not known
- Blurred vision
- decrease in the frequency of urination
- decrease in urine volume
- difficult or painful urination
- difficulty in passing urine (dribbling)
- difficulty with swallowing
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
- fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
- hives or welts, itching, skin rash
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- redness of the skin
- tightness in the chest
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Get emergency help immediately if any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking carbinoxamine:
Symptoms of overdose
- difficulty with sleeping
- drowsiness to profound coma
- dry mouth
- feeling of warmth
- fixed and enlarged pupils
- loss of appetite
- redness of the face, neck, arms, and occasionally, upper chest
- seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there
- tightness of the chest
- trouble breathing
Other side effects of Arbinoxa
Some side effects of carbinoxamine may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Clumsiness or unsteadiness
- cough producing mucus
Incidence not known
- Back, leg, or stomach pains
- black, tarry stools
- bleeding gums
- blood in the urine or stools
- blurred vision
- burning, crawling, itching, numbness, prickling, "pins and needles", or tingling feelings
- continuing ringing or buzzing or other unexplained noise in the ears
- cough or hoarseness
- dark urine
- difficulty breathing
- difficulty having a bowel movement (stool)
- dizziness or lightheadedness
- double vision
- dry mouth, nose, and throat
- feeling excited
- feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings
- fever with or without chills
- general body swelling
- general feeling of tiredness or weakness
- hearing loss
- increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight
- loss of appetite
- lower back or side pain
- pale skin
- pinpoint red spots on the skin
- redness or other discoloration of the skin
- seeing double
- sensation of spinning
- severe sunburn
- shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
- sore throat
- sores, ulcers, or white spots on the lips or in the mouth
- trembling or shaking of the hands or feet
- trouble sleeping
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- weight loss
- yellowing of the eyes or skin
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to carbinoxamine: oral capsule extended release, oral liquid, oral suspension, oral suspension extended release, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release.
Nervous system side effects have included sedation, dizziness, headache, and nervousness.[Ref]
Ocular side effects have included diplopia.[Ref]
Other side effects have included weakness.[Ref]
Genitourinary side effects have included polyuria.[Ref]
More about Arbinoxa (carbinoxamine)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Drug images
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: antihistamines
Related treatment guides
1. Product Information. Histex Pd 12 (carbinoxamine). Teamm Pharmaceuticals Inc. 2003.
2. Product Information. Palgic (carbinoxamine). Alfasigma USA Inc (formerly Pamlab LLC). 2004.
3. Product Information. Histex I/E (carbinoxamine). Teamm Pharmaceuticals Inc. 2004.
4. Product Information. Histex CT (carbinoxamine). Andrx Pharmaceuticals. 2004.
5. Product Information. Histex PD (carbinoxamine). Andrx Pharmaceuticals. 2004.
6. Product Information. Pediatex (carbinoxamine). Zyber Pharmaceuticals Inc. 2004.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.