Ak-Pentolate Side Effects
Generic Name: cyclopentolate ophthalmic
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 13, 2020.
Note: This document contains side effect information about cyclopentolate ophthalmic. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Ak-Pentolate.
For the Consumer
Applies to cyclopentolate ophthalmic: ophthalmic solution
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, cyclopentolate ophthalmic (the active ingredient contained in Ak-Pentolate) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor as soon as possible if any of the following side effects occur while taking cyclopentolate ophthalmic:
Symptoms of too much medicine being absorbed into the body
- Clumsiness or unsteadiness
- constipation, full feeling, passing gas, or stomach cramps or pain
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- convulsions (seizures)
- flushing or redness of face
- hallucinations (seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there)
- passing urine less often
- skin rash
- slurred speech
- swollen stomach (in infants)
- thirst or dryness of mouth
- unusual behavior, such as disorientation to time or place, failure to recognize people, hyperactivity, or restlessness, especially in children
- unusual drowsiness, tiredness, or weakness
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
Some side effects of cyclopentolate ophthalmic may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Blurred vision
- burning of eye
- eye irritation not present before therapy
- increased sensitivity of eyes to light
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to cyclopentolate ophthalmic: compounding powder, ophthalmic solution
Local irritation may occur following instillation and the frequency is dependent upon the concentration used.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Intraocular pressure increased, burning, photophobia, vision blurred, irritation, hyperemia, conjunctivitis, blepharoconjunctivitis, punctate keratitis, synechiae, redness of eyes, lacrimation, mucus discharge, allergic conjunctivitis, eye pruritus
Frequency not reported: Ataxia, incoherent speech, hyperactivity, seizure, drowsiness, coma, medullary paralysis, convulsion, somnolence, incoordination, poor balance, tremor
Frequency not reported: Secretion decreased in pharynx/bronchi/nasal passages[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Skin rash, flushing, dry skin
Frequency not reported: Abdominal distention infants, gastrointestinal motility diminished, salivary secretion decreased, sweat gland secretion decreased, necrotizing colitis, gastroenteritis, dry mouth
Frequency not reported: Restlessness, hallucination, disorientation, failure to recognize people
Postmarketing reports: Confusion, agitation[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Hypersensitivity[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Feeding intolerance[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Hyperpyrexia, death, vertigo
Postmarketing reports: Pyrexia, fatigue, gait disturbed[Ref]
1. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
3. "Product Information. Cyclopentolate Hydrochloride (cyclopentolate ophthalmic)." Falcon Ophthalmics, Fort Worth, TX.
More about Ak-Pentolate (cyclopentolate ophthalmic)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.