Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Mar 23, 2019.
(sul KON a zole)
- Sulconazole Nitrate
Excipient information presented when available (limited, particularly for generics); consult specific product labeling.
Cream, External, as nitrate:
Exelderm: 1% (15 g, 30 g, 60 g) [contains cetyl alcohol, propylene glycol]
Solution, External, as nitrate:
Exelderm: 1% (30 mL) [contains propylene glycol]
Brand Names: U.S.
- Antifungal Agent, Imidazole Derivative
- Antifungal Agent, Topical
Substituted imidazole derivative which inhibits metabolic reactions necessary for the synthesis of ergosterol, an essential membrane component. The end result is usually fungistatic; however, sulconazole may act as a fungicide in Candida albicans and Candida parapsilosis during certain growth phases.
Topical: ~8.7% percutaneously (Franz 1988)
Use: Labeled Indications
Cream: Treatment of tinea pedis (athlete's foot), tinea cruris, and tinea corporis caused by Trichophyton rubrum, Trichophyton mentagrophytes, Epidermophyton floccosum, and Microsporum canis; treatment of tinea versicolor
Solution: Treatment of tinea cruris and tinea corporis caused by Trichophyton rubrum, Trichophyton mentagrophytes, Epidermophyton floccosum, and Microsporum canis; treatment of tinea versicolor
Limitations of use: Effectiveness has not been proven in tinea pedis (athlete's foot).
Hypersensitivity to sulconazole or any component of the formulation
Tinea corporis/tinea cruris/tinea versicolor: Topical: Apply a small amount to the affected and surrounding skin areas once or twice daily for 3 weeks
Tinea pedis: Topical: Cream: Apply a small amount to the affected area twice daily for 4 weeks
Refer to adult dosing.
For external use only; avoid contact with the eyes. Apply a small amount and gently massage into affected and surrounding skin areas.
Avoid excessive heat, above 40°C (104°F); protect solution from light.
There are no known significant interactions.
1% to 10%:
Central nervous system: Localized burning
Dermatologic: Localized erythema, pruritus, stinging of the skin
Concerns related to adverse effects:
• Irritation: Discontinue if sensitivity or irritation occurs.
Concurrent drug therapy issues:
• Drug-drug interactions: Potentially significant interactions may exist, requiring dose or frequency adjustment, additional monitoring, and/or selection of alternative therapy. Consult drug interactions database for more detailed information.
• Appropriate use: For topical use only; avoid contact with eyes.
Pregnancy Risk Factor
Adverse events have been observed in animal reproduction studies with large doses administered orally. Systemic absorption is limited following topical administration.
• Discuss specific use of drug and side effects with patient as it relates to treatment. (HCAHPS: During this hospital stay, were you given any medicine that you had not taken before? Before giving you any new medicine, how often did hospital staff tell you what the medicine was for? How often did hospital staff describe possible side effects in a way you could understand?)
• Have patient report immediately to prescriber skin irritation (HCAHPS).
• Educate patient about signs of a significant reaction (eg, wheezing; chest tightness; fever; itching; bad cough; blue skin color; seizures; or swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat). Note: This is not a comprehensive list of all side effects. Patient should consult prescriber for additional questions.
Intended Use and Disclaimer: Should not be printed and given to patients. This information is intended to serve as a concise initial reference for health care professionals to use when discussing medications with a patient. You must ultimately rely on your own discretion, experience, and judgment in diagnosing, treating, and advising patients.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about sulconazole topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- En Español
- Drug class: topical antifungals
Other brands: Exelderm