Medically reviewed on September 1, 2017
Dosage form: enema
Ingredients: SODIUM PHOSPHATE, DIBASIC 7g in 118mL, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, MONOBASIC 19g in 118mL
Labeler: Rugby Laboratories, Inc.
NDC Code: 0536-7415
Disclaimer: Most OTC drugs are not reviewed and approved by FDA, however they may be marketed if they comply with applicable regulations and policies. FDA has not evaluated whether this product complies.
Sodium Phosphate (Monobasic 19 g and Dibasic 7 g)
- relieves occasional constipation
- generally produces bowel movement in 2 to 5 minutes
Professional use: bowel cleansing regimen for:
- preparing patient for surgery
- preparing colon for x-ray endoscopic examination.
For rectal use only
Dosage warning: Using more than one enema in 24 hours can be harmful
- if you are on a low salt diet
- when abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting are present
- for a period longer than 1 week
- in patients with megacolon (as hypernatremic dehydration may occur)
- kidney disease or impaired renal function
- a sudden change in bowel habits that lasts over 2 weeks
taking any other drug. Take this product two or more hours before or after other drugs. Laxatives may affect how other drugs work.
Serious side effects may occur from excess dosage.
- symptoms last more than 2 weeks
- you have rectal bleeding or fail to have a bowel movement after using this product. This may indicate a serious condition.
ask a health professional before use.
If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away.
- remove enema tip from plastic wrap
- to open, hold enema bottle in upright position at its neck and twist off tab
- screw enema tip securely onto open bottle
- remove green protective shield from tip before using
Do not use more unless directed by a doctor. See Warnings.
|adults & children 12 years and older||one bottle once daily|
|children 2 to under 12 years||½ bottle once daily|
|children under 2 years||do not use|
Left side position: Lie on left side with knee bent and arms at rest.
Knee-chest position: Kneel, then lower head and chest forward until left side of face is resting on surface. Position arms comfortably.
- with steady pressure, gently insert enema into rectum with tip pointing toward the navel
- squeeze bottle until recommended dose is expelled (It is not necessary to empty unit completely. Bottle contains more liquid than needed for effective use. A small amount of liquid will remain in bottle after squeezing.)
- remove tip from rectum
- discontinue use if resistance is encountered, forcing the enema can result in injury
- maintain position until urge to evacuate is strong (usually 2 to 5 minutes)
- each 118 mL contains: sodium 4.4 g
- bottle, cap and shield are LATEX FREE
- store at room temperature 15° - 30° C (59° - 86° F)
benzalkonium chloride, disodium EDTA and purified water.
9 am - 5 pm ET, Monday - Friday
sodium phosphate enema
|Labeler - Rugby Laboratories, Inc. (109178264)|
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided here is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. This information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.