Inova 8/2 (topical)
Generic Name: benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid (topical) (BEN zoe il per OX ide and sal i SIL ik AS id (TOP ik al))
Brand Name: Cleanse & Treat, Cleanse & Treat Plus, Inova 4/1, Inova 8/2
What is benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid (topical)?
Benzoyl peroxide has an antibacterial effect. It also has a mild drying effect that allows excess oil and dirt to be washed away.
Salicylic acid is a peeling agent that causes shedding of the outer layer of skin.
Inova 8/2 (for the skin) is a combination medicine used to treat severe acne.
This medication is not for use in treating mild forms of acne. The strength of benzoyl peroxide contained in this medication is higher than that used in many over-the-counter acne products. Severe skin irritation can result from improper use of this product.
Inova 8/2 may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
This medicine can cause a rare but serious allergic reaction or severe skin irritation. Stop using this medicine and get emergency medical help if you have: hives, itching; difficult breathing, feeling light-headed; or swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Before taking this medicine
You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, or aspirin.
To make sure Inova 8/2 is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have any allergies or other medical conditions.
FDA pregnancy category C. It is not known whether Inova 8/2 will harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using this medication.
It is not known whether Inova 8/2 passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
Inova 8/2 should not be used on a child younger than 12 years old.
How should I use this medicine?
Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not use this medicine in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended.
Inova 8/2 can cause a rare but serious allergic reaction or severe skin irritation. Before you start using this medicine, you may choose to apply a "test dose" to see if you have a reaction. Apply a very small amount of the medicine to 1 or 2 small acne areas every day for 3 days in a row. If there is no reaction, begin using the full prescribed amount on the 4th day.
Use only mild skin cleansers or those your doctor has prescribed.
Apply the medicated pad to clean, dry skin twice per day or as directed by your doctor. Do not rinse off the medicine unless it causes severe skin irritation just after applying.
Do not share this medication with another person, even if they have the same symptoms you have.
Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Keep each medicated pad in its foil pouch until you are ready to use it.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Apply the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.
What should I avoid while using this medicine?
Do not take by mouth. Inova 8/2 is for use only on the skin. Avoid getting this medication in your nose or mouth. If this does happen, rinse with water. Do not use this medicine on sunburned, windburned, dry, chapped, irritated, or broken skin.
If this medication gets in your eyes, rinse with water.
Avoid using other medications on the areas you treat with Inova 8/2 unless your doctor tells you to.
Avoid using skin products that can cause irritation, such as harsh soaps, shampoos, or skin cleansers, hair coloring or permanent chemicals, hair removers or waxes, or skin products with alcohol, spices, astringents, or lime.
This medicine side effects
Inova 8/2 can cause a rare but serious allergic reaction or severe skin irritation. These reactions may occur just a few minutes after you apply the medicine, or within a day or longer afterward.
Stop using this medicine and get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives, itching; difficult breathing, feeling light-headed; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Stop using Inova 8/2 and call your doctor at once if you have:
severe skin irritation after using the medicine;
scaly or peeling skin;
redness or swelling of treated skin; or
nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.
Common side effects may include:
dry skin or mild irritation;
ringing in your ears.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What other drugs will affect benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid (topical)?
It is not likely that other drugs you take orally or inject will have an effect on topically applied benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. But many drugs can interact with each other. Tell each of your health care providers about all medicines you use, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
More about Inova 8/2 (benzoyl peroxide / salicylic acid topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical acne agents
Related treatment guides
Where can I get more information?
- Your pharmacist can provide more information about benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2012 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 3.01.
Date modified: January 03, 2018
Last reviewed: July 09, 2014