What is tdm1 chemotherapy?
T-DM1 chemotherapy refers to treatment with Kadcyla, which is a targeted treatment that may be used to treat HER2-positive breast cancer in women who meet certain criteria. The chemical name for Kadcyla is T-DM1 (also called ado-trastuzumab emtansine) and it is a combination of two medicines: trastuzumab which is a targeted treatment and DM1 which is a cytotoxic agent (also known as mertansine). Trastuzumab targets HER2-expressing breast cancer cells and delivers DM1 directly to them.
Kadcyla belongs to the class of medicines known as antibody-drug conjugates or ADCs. It may also be called a conjugated monoclonal antibody. Trastuzumab is also available by itself as Herceptin.
Kadcyla Breast cancer.org https://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/targeted_therapies/kadcyla
- Kadcyla for Breast Cancer. Cancer Connect. https://news.cancerconnect.com/breast-cancer/kadcyla-t-dm1-significantly-improves-treatment-of-her-2-breast-cancers
- Trastuzumab emtansine (Kadcyla) Cancer Now. https://breastcancernow.org/information-support/facing-breast-cancer/going-through-breast-cancer-treatment/targeted-therapy/trastuzumab-emtansine-kadcyla
- Research and Development of Highly Potent Antibody-Based Drug Conjugates and Fusion Proteins for Cancer Therapy Rong-guang Shao, Yong-su Zhen, in Recent Advances in Cancer Research and Therapy, 2012 https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/mertansine
Related medical questions
- How many biosimilars have been approved in the United States?
- What is Herceptin? Is Herceptin a chemo drug? How does it work?
- How long can you stay on Herceptin and Perjeta?
- How long does Herceptin stay in your body?
- What happens after Herceptin treatment?
- How do Herceptin (trastuzumab) and Perjeta (pertuzumab) work together?
- How effective is Herceptin for Breast & Gastric Cancer?
- Does Herceptin (trastuzumab) stop menstrual periods?
- Do Herceptin (trastuzumab) injections hurt?
- What is the difference between Ogivri and Herceptin?
- How is Herceptin Injection and Herceptin Hylecta administered?