How is Spinraza administered?
Spinraza (nusinersen) is a survival motor neuron-2 (SMN2)-directed antisense oligonucleotide used to treat spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) in adults and children.
SMA is a type of motor neuron disease that destroys motor neurons - the muscle-controlling nerve cells. It is caused by a mutation in the SMN1 (survival motor neuron 1) gene, which is responsible for producing the SMN protein that keeps motor neurons healthy and functioning.
Spinraza is administered by injection at a hospital or an outpatient site with the necessary experience.
How does Spinraza come and how is it administered?
Spinraza comes in a single-use vial and is injected using a syringe directly into the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), which is the fluid around the spine and brain. It is given over 1-3 minutes. This type of injection is called an intrathecal bolus injection.
Spinraza is administered by healthcare professionals who are experienced in performing lumbar punctures.
Spinraza needs to be delivered directly into the central nervous system (CNS) because of the way it works - it's mechanism of action.
How often is Spinraza taken?
Four loading doses of Spinraza are given when treatment is started. The first three loading doses are given at 14 day intervals and the fourth is given 30 days after the third loading dose. A maintenance does of Spinraza is then given once every four months.
- Spinraza. Intrathecal administration with Spinraza (nusinersen). Available from: https://www.spinraza.com/content/dam/commercial/spinraza/caregiver/en_us/pdf/SPZ-US-0603-Intrathecal-Discussion-Tool.pdf. [Accessed February 2, 2021].
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Spinraza. Available from: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2020/209531s010lbl.pdf. [Accessed Febuary 2, 2021].
Related medical questions
- Zolgensma vs Spinraza: What are the key differences?
- Evrysdi vs Spinraza: How do they compare?
- Why is Zolgensma so expensive?
- Is Zolgensma a cure for SMA?
- How is Zolgensma administered?
- How does Evrysdi work for SMA?
- How effective is Evrysdi?
- Does Evrysdi cure spinal muscular atrophy (SMA)?
- How is Evrysdi administered?
- Spinraza Information for Consumers
- Spinraza prescribing info & package insert (for Health Professionals)
- Side Effects of Spinraza (detailed)