Procrit (epoetin alfa) and Alcohol / Food Interactions
There is 1 alcohol/food/lifestyle interaction with Procrit (epoetin alfa):
High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
Severe Potential Hazard, High plausibility
erythropoiesis-stimulating agents - hypertension
The use of erythropoiesis-stimulating agents is contraindicated in patients with uncontrolled hypertension. Epoetin alfa and darbepoetin alfa may cause blood pressure to rise. Hypertensive encephalopathy and seizures have been observed in patients with chronic renal failure treated with these agents. Blood pressure should be adequately controlled prior to initiation of therapy, and monitored closely during treatment. Aggressive antihypertensive measures may be necessary, particularly early on in treatment when the hematocrit is increasing. It is recommended to reduce or withhold the use of these agents if blood pressure becomes difficult to control.
- Buckner FS, Eschbach JW, Haley NR, Davidson RC, Adamson JW "Hypertension following erythropoietin therapy in anemic hemodialysis patients." Am J Hypertens 3 (1990): 947-55
- Eschbach JW, Abdulhadi MH, Browne JK, Delano BG, Downing MR, Egrie JC, Evans RW, Friedman EA, Graber SE, Haley NR, et al "Recombinant human erythropoietin in anemic patients with end-stage renal disease. Results of a phase III multicenter clinical trial." Ann Intern Med 111 (1989): 992-1000
- Raine AE "Hypertension, blood viscosity, and cardiovascular morbidity in renal failure: implications of erythropoietin therapy." Lancet 1 (1988): 97-100
- "Product Information. Procrit (epoetin alfa)." Ortho Biotech Inc, Raritan, NJ.
- Bennett WM "Side effects of erythropoietin therapy." Am J Kidney Dis 18 (1991): 84-6
- "Product Information. Epogen (epoetin alfa)." Amgen, Thousand Oaks, CA.
- Singbartl G "Adverse events of erythropoietin in long-term and in acute short-term treatment." Clin Investig 72 (1994): s36-43
Procrit (epoetin alfa) drug Interactions
There are 30 drug interactions with Procrit (epoetin alfa)
Procrit (epoetin alfa) disease Interactions
There are 5 disease interactions with Procrit (epoetin alfa) which include:
Drug Interaction Classification
|No information available.|
Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.